Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    Thanks. What about the new car, were you able to get like a few grands under invoice?
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Thanks for the info... Just saw the salesguy at the bank tonight....he told me to give him a call and would try to work a deal on an '03 for me. I'm not sure...don't want to end up with a $800/mo payment. Does any one know what kind of deals BMW is making?
  • bmwdriver02bmwdriver02 Member Posts: 46
    Congrats on the upgrade...I wish I was able to do that. But I'm perfectly fine with my '02.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Your weather report sounds like heaven to me as I swelter in this 100+ heat in L.A.! We are very much looking forward to driving the 530 along the coast and soaking up the view. It just had its interval 1 service last week so it is all tuned up and roaring to go! Thanks for the good wishes. I know the Bay area will not disappoint! (Unlike my very unpleasant test drive experience at a Toyota dealership today for a run-around-town car. Let's just say I was amongst a wolf, but managed to get home safely!)
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    Aside from the $4k discount, they only deducted another $1500 from the list price. Not the best discount considering the new model is coming. But they stated, due to limited availability, aggressive negotiating was not an option. However the tune would have been different if I wanted either a 525i or a 530i w/o Sport & manual. I didn’t want to believe them but after calling other dealerships, I found out that they had a valid point. There are automatics a plenty (525i, 530i & 540i) but only 1 530i with the Sport Pkg. My plan is to keep the car beyond my typical 3-year cycle.

Bmwdriver02, even without the Sport Pkg and manual, the 530i is still a great car. I originally wanted the manual but my wife voted otherwise. Since she has only driven twice (in the last 18 months), I decided to make a change before the new one was gone. Again my decision to upgrade now was based on the feeling that I will like the new model. Can I say that for certain? No. But so far the pictures have not impressed me.

Regards,
    Chris M
    I like you also have the Sport Package, along with the Xenons, Premium Package and the Steptronic transmission. I had a hard time deciding whether to get the Sport Package or not to but I decided that if the snow is really bad I could use my wife's Accord or get a ride from my brother-in-law's CR-V. That way, I don't have to get new tires :)
    Congratulations! I think you got a great deal, a total of $5.5k off the sticker. I didn't realize that SP is a popular option and I am glad that my 530 has it. Thank you for the info and I think I should stay put since the availability of SP is rare.
    Last year I had the option of using my wife's car (a 01 Saab 9-5 wagon), however this luxury will not be available to me this year. Even though I had the non-sport version, I did switch to dedicated winter tires, being Blizzak’s WS-50, and had no problems getting around in the snow and/or ice. I am contemplating picking up a 2nd car, perhaps a 95-97 Maxima SE, for bad weather driving. Just not sure I want another car to maintain. Otherwise I will need to buy a set of winter tires & rims.

Regards,
    Chris M
  • tjin1969tjin1969 Member Posts: 1
    I live in So CA in Los Angeles. Any suggestion where I should go to buy a 03' BMW? I tried Assael BMW at Duarte, but they don't want to go under invoice. They offered $500 over invoice. Also, their attitude is so BADDDDDDDD!!
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    The good news for you is that there are plenty of BMW dealers in So Cal. I had bad experiences at a couple (who shall remain nameless) before landing at Center BMW in Sherman Oaks. Go to their website and talk to their internet sales manager.

HiC
  • multiplechoicemultiplechoice Member Posts: 113
    I have heard good things about Cutter motors in Santa Barbara. Get a quote from them if you don't mind the 2.5 hr drive up the coast.
  • timtrantimtran Member Posts: 29
    You can go to the board "BMW: prices paid and buying experiences" for more insight. I bought mine at Stevens Creek BMW, Santa Clara for $3000 under invoice, no haggling. Everybody from sales manager to sales person to F&I officer is extremely nice and helpful. You can fly one-way Southwest from LA and drive it home. Good way to break it in...
  • mike525mike525 Member Posts: 2
    Curious, although I live 15 miles from Stevens Creek in Santa Clara, I drove to LA to buy my new 530 several months ago. Found a great salesman, Michael Chang, and a good deal at New Century BMW in Alhambra - best and easiest car buying experience ever. If you have been shopping in Duarte, New Century is nearby. I was delighted with both the car purchase and delivery experience, and with my one subsequent visit to the service department as well. A website which rates dealers gives New Century and Rasmussen (in Portland) its very highest ratings.
  • hoopsrefhoopsref Member Posts: 140
    I guess you are newbie here. Check out my posts (& others)in the prices section on this board. Posts #299, 302, 307, 359 for starters. I have repeated myself so much I don't know how many times I have typed in the info on buying a 530i BMW...lol Good Luck.
    Keep trying. I think you can can get the $3000 below with some work. It would worth the drive or flying at that rate.
    When discussing the pricing, it is best to use the INVOICE prices to better compare the deals. The $5,500 off MSRP is not a big deal. My 530i had a MSRP of 47,780. I got it for $40,575 or in "your terms" $7,205 off MSRP. It was $3210 BELOW invoice. This stuff should be discussed on the prices paid section anyway. I'll probably get my hand slapped. OUCH!
  • jbf5jbf5 Member Posts: 32
    Some earlier postings suggested that BMW is no longer selling fluid for the intensive windshield washer reservoir in the U.S. Has anyone tried P21S Windshield Wash Booster or Sonax Clear View 1:100 Concentrate in the intensive fluid reservoir? If so, how were the results? Any thoughts on concentrations?

Thanks.
  • need4speed1need4speed1 Member Posts: 28
    I've located a saphire black 2002 530i, w/ Step, SP, PP, and DSP. The car is CPO, with 24,201 miles. The dealer was originally asking $39,900, but is now offering $37,821. Is this a good deal? I'm hoping I can make a deal at $36,300.

Are there still incentives on 2003 models? I've people on here got very good deals on them.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I believe a brand new 2003 530ia equiped as you are describing would have an invoice of about $44.5k. I believe with current incentives $2,500+ under invoice is feasible in the DC area, putting the price of a brand new 2003 at roughly $42k.

I certainly wouldn't buy a 2002 with 25k miles for only $5-6k (12-15%) less than I could get a brand new one. Some might disagree, but I would not go used unless I was saving more like $10k (20-25%) on a car with 24k miles already on the odometer. Between tires, brakes, warranty, etc., the first 25k miles use up a fair amount of new car value. Just my opinion.
  • drdwdrdw Member Posts: 21
    It will come with 100K or + 2 year warranty. One major repair after 4y/50k will cost a few $k. You may consider this in your decision. In other words, if you will keep it for 3-5 years, then a new one is a better deal. Otherwise, a CPO is good alternative.
  • mtjohnmtjohn Member Posts: 34
    I bought a pristine CPO 2001 530iA 9,300 mi. SP, PP, PS, Xenons, split folding seats & sunshades with in mid May from SF BMW for $38K (how anyone could average 4,650 mi./yr in such a great car blows my mind--I've already put 4k on it). Even people familiar with BMWs think it is a brand new car. CPO gets you 100,000 mi. warrantee, brand new tires and fully checks out the car (new engine/tranny software upgrades, etc.) after it has been broken in awhile. I have to admit that the deals that I have been seeing recently on this message board look great. But, I hear that it is really hard to get certain colors & especially sport package (curcial). I am still very happy with the deal I got considering that this is the Bay Area where good deals are as scarce as the 530i SP are at BMW showrooms.
  • demars581demars581 Member Posts: 16
    When does the 2004 5 series officially debut here in the US? I was in Morristown, NJ last night and on the street corner was a brand new 2004 530i. It had black tape around the lights (Front and Back), the BMW symbols, as well as random spots around the car. The license place read "Car Manufacturer".

I have not been keeping up on this car so I'm not sure when it will be available in the US, but with all the tape on it I'm assuming it is not out yet. It was much better looking in person than in any of the pictures. When I first saw the pictures online I was not impressed, but this car was really good looking. Unfortunately though I had no camera.
    I believe the 04 5 Series goes on sale in October with the 530i first and the 525i, 545i and 545i 6 Speed in November.

Correct me if I am wrong.
  • bmwnewbie1bmwnewbie1 Member Posts: 6
    I am considering having the invisishield coating put on my new jet black 525i. It will be applied to the bumper, front grill area and mirrors. I would like hear positive and negative comments from those of you who have had this done. How noticeable is it, can you see the seams, can it be waxed with the rest of the car, do bugs come off of it easily and what type of cleaner do you use, what did you pay to have this done and who installed it, etc.?
    I just took delivery of a new black sapphire 530i and had a protective coating, called VentureShield, installed. The product was installed on the front area plus both mirrors. So far I have been impressed. Unless you are looking for the lines it is very hard to detect. I have noticed some applications where the line is very obvious. I had a 02 530i (sterling gray) that after 2 months had several paint chips from road debris. Now with a black car I didn’t want the same results issues. Check around and try to get references from others who have had the same or similar product installed. Again my application is only 1 day old but thus far I’m happy with it.

Regards,
    Chris M
    Day two with my new 530i and I cannot believe what a difference both the Sport Pkg and 5-speed adds to the car. Wow. I thoroughly enjoyed my last one with the Steptronic & standard setup but this setup just increases the level of enjoyment.

Regards,
    Chris M
    Forgot to mention that the cost to install was $450. Also the coating can be waxed but not until 2 days (from application). Which is not a problem since the paint can not be waxed until another 3 months.

Regards,
    Chris M
    A few weeks back I was asked to participate in a marketing survey on new luxury cars. The requirement was to drive them and give my honest opinion about each vehicle and that I would be given lunch and paid $200 for my time. Let me think about this for a minute, I get to test drive some new cars and get paid doing it, hmmm, okay. While they couldn’t tell me which specific ones would be there, they generally stated Lexus, Mercedes and Volvo. So this morning I drove down to do my part. Upon pulling into the parking lot I was directed to the back where they had a closed area. I parked and noticed a sign stating ‘No admittance. Otherwise security will be called’. What are they protecting, some military equipment. So my curiosity got the best of me and I walked in anyway. What do I find in there but the test cars. Specifically a new Mercedes E320, Lexus ES300 & RX330, Audi A6 3.0, Volvo S80, Infiniti G35 (sedan) and do my eyes deceive me but a 2004 (E60) 530i. Not one but two models. One was a black Sport edition and the other a silver standard version. I proceeded to walk over but was quickly intercepted by three security guards. I was asked to exit the area and proceed to the main building. Oh well, I tried. After reaching the main building I was handed a piece of paper with three names on it, being Mercedes, Audi and Lexus. These were the test cars that I was to evaluate. But what about the new 5-series? Sorry was their response; the list cannot be altered in any way. However once the tests concluded I was able to sit in both versions of the 5-series. The sport seats were very comfortable. Better I thought than the current version. Still not sold on the I-Drive screen. The gages were nice. Back seat room improved, as is the overall room. Exterior styling remains iffy. I liked the rear view as well as the rear side view. Front and front side I’m am not sold on. Perhaps over-time the styling will grow on me. Until then I will continue to enjoy my 03 530i.

Regards,
    Chris M
  • mtjohnmtjohn Member Posts: 34
    Chris M:
    Fascinating story.
    What type of survey was it? Were you able to drive the MB, Lexus and Audi? Any impressions other than "glad I'm in my 530"?
  • jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    I drove a 2000 540/stick yesterday. It had the sport bucket seats and the M5 wheels, but no M5 steering wheel. It was at a used car dealership. I wanted to drive one as I am having a hard time finding a 03 530 with stick and sport package in the North East with dwindling stock. I drove the 530 on Friday with the Steptronic and thought it was good, but realize that the only way I can drive that car is with a stick. Now I know that this is kind of apples to oranges becuz the 530 I drove was step and the 540 was stick but, the540 with the stick was quite a leap for me. I found it to be very responsive/fast and dead quit. I also didn't notice any excessive lean cornering form any extra weight of the 8 cylinder. Here is where I need help- as I mentioned above, this car had some of the sport package items, M5 wheels, sport bucket seats, but no M5 steering wheel. One dealer has told me that any 2000 540 with the stick would automatically come through with the entire sport package including the M5 wheel. Also as I understand it, premium it std on any 540 along with xennons. Now when I go to the MBW web site, it lists sport package and premium as options for the 540. I am lost. I am really interested becuz, if I were to persue this used 540, how will I know if it has the sport suspension? maybe it is a sport package and someone swapped out the M5 wheel.

Any help with the 540 mystery and thoughts of comparisons between the 03 530/stick/sport and used 540 stick/sport would be helpful.

Thanks,

J
  • diver110diver110 Member Posts: 67
    After Riez's wise counsel that I check it out thoroughly, I did some more research on extended warranties. I thought I would share the results with the group. It turns out that what they really are, are insurance policies. An insurance company backs them up. So you need to check out the quality of the insurance company. You also need to check out the quality of the company administering it, which can be a different company than the insurance company. The one I may get looks good on all counts so far.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    jaydoll... BMW has been tinkering with the content of 5 Series Sport Pkg for some time. Each year they seem to make it a bit more comprehensive. My 540i6 is a '98. It came standard with Sport suspension & tires, Sport seats, and Shadowline trim. But, unfortunately, the original buyer had ordered the 16-way Comfort Seat, so mine does not have the Sport seats. And the M steering wheel was not part of the '98s. That came later.

In the 540i6, believe one could order the optional Comfort Seats in lieu of the standard Sport seats pretty much every model year. I much prefer the Sport seats, though the Comfort seats are nice.
    Any luck with the dealers in RI & West Springfield? Are you looking at buying the 540 or just getting a feel for the manual tranny? I hope I helped out the other day. Good luck.
    Hi hoopsref,

Did you get my email today? Let me know if you did not.

J
    Reiz,

The 540/6 speed I drove had the sport bucket seats with the adjustable thigh support. What was missing was the M5 steering wheel and the correct wooden shift knob. It also had the correct M5 wheels on it. This all ads up to a sport package. So why no M5 steering wheel? Wouldn't any 2000 540/6 speed come with the sport package by default? If so, isn't the M5 wheel part of the sport package? The car was a blast to drive, but I am abit concerned that maybe it was tampered with.

J
    jaydoll... Don't panic. As I said, BMW has slowly changed (improved) the composition of the Sport Pkg over the years. The early E39 540i6s did not come with the M steering wheel. They all came standard with a "Sport Pkg", but since it is standard, and not optional, it doesn't have a "Sport Pkg" listed as an equipment item. The 540ia comes with its own optional Sport Pkg.

All you need to do is some research on what specific items came with the MY2000 540i6 Sport Package. Your dealer should have some historical resources. For example, BMW publishes their "Fast Facts" for dealer staff. (I snagged a copy of the MY2001. It has 336 detailed pages on standard and optional equipment, including MSRPs, for all BMWs sold in USA.)

The MY2001 Fast Facts details the 540i6 as having the following "Sport Pkg"-related standard items:

(1) Sport suspension
    (2) specified tire/wheel combination (unique to this car)
    (3) Shadowline exterior
    (4) 3-spoke sport steering wheel
    (5) 12-way power front sport seats

There is also a footnote which says "Suspension, wheels/tires, exterior trim & interior equipment of 540i Automatic Sport are standard on 540i 6-speed."

The 2001 "Fast Facts" also mentions there are optional "M Parallel Spoke Wheels similar to the M5's wheels." MSRP was $300. There was an optional 16-way Comfort front seat. MSRP of $1,200. It also says there are "New steering-wheel designs, both 4-spoke standard and sport 3-spoke." So these steering wheels are supposedly somehow different than the MY2000 steering wheels.

Aside, you could't get the heated steering wheel with the Sport steering wheel. That is deleted from its Cold Weather Package. (My '98's 4-spoke has the heated steering wheel with its CWP.)
    Last Thursday I picked up my 03 530i w/ Sport, Premium, DSP, Cold, Fold Down Seats and Xenons. Well this evening I used the car for the first time at night and thus required the use of my headlights. So I put them on and do my eyes deceive me but my headlights are white. This shouldn’t be, unless Xenon light has changed from blue to white. Hmmm. Perhaps I thought my car had this option. How did I miss this? Later when I arrived home I looked at the window sticker from my car. Yep it does list the Xenon Headlights. Perhaps the VIN # is different. Nope that agrees as well. Well I’m confused, how could this of happened. Needless to say the dealer will be hearing from me in the morning.

Regards,
    Chris M
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Look at the front of the headlight, if it looks like there is a magnifying glass lens in front of the bulb, you have Xenons. If there is no magnifying glass look, you don't have Xenons.
  • karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    Xenons only take on the blue tint after quite a bit of use. Initially they're white.

Look at the magnifying lens as kdshapiro suggests, also look to see if the beams self-level when you turn them on. If everything checks out just use them for a while, they'll turn blue.
    Stopped by dealer last week and picked up the new brochure. Lots of interesting technical data plus all the info on standard and optional equipment and interior/exterior color & trim information.

jaydoll... Noticed that all new 5 Series come with the 3-spoke steering wheel. 3-spoke is now standard.
    Yes, my lights do have the magnifying type lens. However the light is Halogen and not Xenon based. I took my car to the dealer today and they have confirmed my findings. I do have halogen lights even though the VIN indicates Xenon. An even stranger observation comes when putting the lights on for the first time (after starting the car). The lights will auto-level. However if I leave my car running and cycle the lights, from off to on, the lights will not auto-level. Turn the car off and the leveling works again but only onetime. A service tech looked under the hood and didn’t see the auto-leveling mechanisms. They were stumped and stated that they have never seen this before. My car was built around mid June. I hate to think that someone just assembled some remaining pieces for production end. My 02 530ia had the xenons. So I am very familiar with the light output & start-up sequence.

Another oddity is that my car came with clear turn signals. No other 5-series, on their lot, had this. All of the 5-series were 03 models. One was a CPO 530i sport, 1 530ia sport, 7 530ia non-sport and many 525 offerings. I am not complaining. Rather I like the look, especially with the black sapphire paint. Could this be a Euro version?

It is now in the hands of BMWNA. Let’s see what happens.

Regards,
    Chris M
    I know some of you on this board own Maxima and I wonder if anyone know where the resistor is. I need to replace mine (95 model) but not sure where it is. I have already posted the same question on Maxima board and I am trying to get help from this board.
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    On my 1990 Maxima, it is located behind the glovebox, mounted in the blower box. Not sure if it's in the same place on a '95. Taking the glovebox out is pretty simple (10 screws) so you could just check. Or ask on maxima.org
    Thank you for your help. It is still in the same place as in the old model. I know I can depend on someone on this board to point me in the right direction.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Is it possible through a manufacturing mixup you got the Xenon headlight assembly but the halgogen bulbs? Doesn't seem like it's possible. I would not have thought the halogens would have fit in the assembly.
    It may be possible. BMWNA is now in the loop and has requested that the service manager conduct a complete inspection to see what is there and/or not there (such as the wiring harnesses, auto-levelers, assemblies, etc). I hope to be meeting with them this evening.

Other than this one problem the car has been flawless and most of all, fun to drive. Having the manual and Sport pkg makes a big difference in the ride.

Regards,
    Chris M
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    It's good to see BMWNA involved. Hopefully they resolve it to your satisfaction. I know my xenon's light up blue until they are warmed up then emit the white light (I have a 2002 325xi).

Please let us know the resolution. Do you have any contacts at BMWNA that have been responsive so far and that you'd care to publish?

-Paul
    Seems like everyone has thoughts on the best or most appropriate tire. In the latest issue of European Car magazine (Oct 03) there is an article about a project to enhance a 325is. Found his words about tires interesting. Points out the inherent trade offs and compromises inherent to high performance tires. He has Continental ContiSportContact 2 tires:

"They ride well and make very little noise, qualities that have won O.E. fitment on many [MB] models. In fact, these 235/40-17 tires actually ride better than the 205/60-15 all-season Michelins the car came on. Designed for high-speed autobahn travel, the ContiSportContact 2's carcass limits limits heat buildup at high speeds, and the wide grooves in the tread pattern evacuate water very effectively. I was able to inflict a surprising amount of abuse, sliding the car for the lead photo, before they went away. There isn't a lot of water around here, though, and I'm used to more aggressively focused dry handling for my project cars...[they] are not focused in the direction to best suit my taste."

Having about 5K on my replacement set of ContiSportContact 2s, I wholely concur. For my 540i6, they were an excellent compromise. Do mostly long distance highway driving. (I'll put 600 highway miles on her this week.) They weren't too expensive but they have pretty good performance. They aren't the absolute best dry handlers. Yet, they aren't too noisy. And they work very, very well in water (which I do drive in).

Yet, I wish we didn't have to compromise. Too bad we can't have it all on tires! Affordable tires that are the best at everything!!!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I replaced the resistor on my 1995 Maxima a couple of months ago. Although I did so, it appears you don't even need to remove the glove box to access it from the passenger side floor area. Interesting coincidence - they must have programmed in a 8-9 year life! Does your digital clock ever not light up??
    Thank you for saving me time from removing the glove box. I hope it won't be too difficult getting to it since I want to check it out before I replace it. Yeap, the clock went out long time ago, luckily it was covered under an extended warranty. I replaced oxegen sensors more times than I want to remember, so whenever the engine light comes up nowaday I just ignore it and after a few day it goes off by itself. I know all Maximas are still having the same problem.