Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I sent them a note via the "Contact Us" page, and received the following automated message:

"Thank you for e-mailing Edmunds.com. The reference number for your inquiry is '040122-000021'. We appreciate hearing from you. Please note that due to the volume of e-mail we receive, we may not respond individually to all messages."

I'll let y'all know if I am contacted and what the response is.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    I received my first response regarding the error in the article titled, "BMW 5-Series - The Best Car in the World?"

Response (Warren) - 01/22/2004 05:44 PM
    Dale,

Thanks for your inquiry. We're unable to locate the article you've mentioned amongst our recent road tests of the 5 Series. Please send us a link to the article, and we'll research the issue.

Thanks for visiting Edmunds.com.

Warren Clarke
    Associate Editor
    Edmunds.com

To say the very least, given that they could not find their own article even when I gave them the title, I found the response surprising. Surprised or not, I complied with their request and sent them the url to the article.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Heh, that's pretty funny, you're right!

I do think there's a place in the feedback form that asks for the URL though ... and it sounds like they just wanted to be sure they found the exact one you asked about.

Still...

:)
  • Options
    A 1991 and 1992 E39? ;-) I think you had the latest to be replace E39 on your mind (I know I certainly do) and typed it instead of E34. No worries, I knew what you meant. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Not that it's all that important, except for journalistic accuracy, but while the Edmunds article stated that the E34 2.5 liter engine received twin cams in '92, my '91 525 was equipped with the DOHC 24-valve engine (which contrary to the bmwinfo link, was the first year it was available in the US). Hmmm.. something about the "devil's in the details", heh?
  • Options
    sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Shipo, thanks for watching my back, I have revised and re-posted--details, indeed!
  • Options
    Any time, just so long as you do the same for me. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    sirtigersirtiger Member Posts: 38
    when you turn off the engine, is the rain senor wipers reset...and its off??

When I turn up one notch, the rain sensor is on.
    Until I turn off the engine (leaving the lever in the same position)and next time it rains....the sensor doesn't automatically work....I have to pull down and push up to make it work again. Is this normal among other e39 owners?
  • Options
    Yes.

All of the rain sensing wipers that I have ever used works this way. I think the following scenario explains exactly why.

Imagine you are driving home on a rainy Friday evening, rain sensing wipers doing thing. You pull into your garage, turn the car off and head inside for the night. Saturday morning dawn bright and blue, but when you get to our mount, you see lots of rain streaks and mud all over it, so, you head to the carwash. This particular establishment is the kind where you pay as you go in, pop your car in neutral with the engine running and just drive out the outer side. Imaging your horror when your rain sensing wipers start wiping inside the carwash, catch on the cloth elements of the washing equipment and get ripped off or mangled in the process.

Yup, it's a good thing to have to tickle your wiper system to tell it that it's okay to start doing its rain sensing thing. You can "tickle" it by changing the sensitivity or by turning it off and back on.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,184
    That is the clearest explanation I've seen of why the wipers work that way. I'm printing it for my wife. Her eyes glaze over when I try to explain it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stl540stl540 Member Posts: 67
    I wonder if we would have a better understanding of who is a critic or a fan of the E60 by understanding their background?

1. How many BMWs one has owned?
    2. Model year of the first one?
    3. Length of time one has owned or closely followed BMW models?
    4. Person's age?
    5. Interest in latest technology in a new car vs. simple car?

My curiousity comes from reading the controversial letters about the new 5, 7, and Z4 on the Edmunds forum and Roundel.

I own the 2002 540i and love it. I like the styling inside and out. I have 30K happy driving miles on my car. No complaints at all. I plan to be a long term BMW customer based on my experiences thus far.

I also like the design of the new 5-series. My 2002 540i is my first BMW and I have not closely followed BMW except for the last 3 years. I like the latest technological innovations in cars. I think the E60 is a bold new design. BTW. I've seen a few E60s on the road and have not mistaken them for a Pontiac. The new design attracts me to the car (positively).

Most of my co-workers, friends and family members have positively commented on the style of the E60. The only slightly negative comment was from a co-worker who owns a 1989 3-series. He is unsure of the E60 design.

I really like the design of the new 645i. I also like the design of the Z4. I am indifferent about the design of the 7-series.

It seems that those who are long time BMW owners/fans are the most critical of the new BMW designs.
  • Options
    Kyfdx, glad I could be of service. ;-)

Stl540, okay, I'll give it a try:
    1) two (1999 328i and 2002 530i)
    2) 1999, see above
    3) five and a half years
    4) 46
    5) I appreciate both hi-tech cars and low-tech cars

My impressions of the new crop of BMWs:
    Z4 -- I like it
    5-Series -- I absolutely detest it
    6-Series -- I love it
    7-Series -- I dislike it but not as much as the 5-Series

So, did I muddy the waters too much. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    1) one 2002 330i)
    2) 2002, see above
    3) 20 years
    4) shipo's ageish
    5) Both, but hi tech cars generally offer more safety equipment, a low tech car would not have ABS and DSC for example.

My impressions of the new crop of BMWs:
    Z4 -- I like it
    5-Series -- I like it as much as current five series, 4.9 stars
    6-Series -- I like it 5 stars
    7-Series -- I like it maybe not 5 stars but 4.5
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,184
    1)Two ('03 325i, '67 2000CS)
    2)1967 (owned from '85-'90)
    3)Lately...just a couple of years
    4}shipo-ish (nice one, kd)
    5}not a luddite

Z4-- Looks are growing on me.. still hate the rear-end. Test drove one....WOW
    5-series-- I like it better than the 7
    7-series-- not so much.. horizontal tail light doesn't work with the two main tail lights. that is why I like the 5 better..it doesn't have that.
    6-series-- its okay...not a fan of big two-door coupes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bentleyfam25bentleyfam25 Member Posts: 67
    1)Three ('01 525i, '03 325Xi, '04 525)
    2)2001
    3)Since I bought the first one.
    4}51
    5}simplicity is better, but I'm comfortable with technology.

Z4-- I like it -- the front and sides are possibly the best Bangle design before the 6...though the stumpy rear end is off-putting.
    5-series-- Own one and like it. Drives beautifully. Still think E39 was one of the best cars ever built, tho.
    7-series-- Too fussy, overall. Over the top with technology that could be simpler. Least favorite.
    6-series-- Best of the lot so far.
  • Options
    warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    1. One.
    2. 2003 530i
    3. Two years or so.
    4. 55.
    5. I like technology, provided it’s an improvement over previous solutions and is reliable.

As for the current crop (all comments are aesthetic as I’ve driven none of them):

Z4—Marvelous design
    E60—Hideous exterior, particularly the 1950’s women’s sunglasses look to the headlights, and ho-hum interior
    New 6—Very nice in photos, except the stupid Bangle rump
    New 7---Again, hideous, except in the 7 the rump is worse than the headlight treatment.
  • Options
    545question1545question1 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to order a 545 and the 1 option I can't decide on is whether to get the sport package. I test drove a 545 w/o sport - dealer didn't have 545 w/ sport (also test drove 530 w/ sport, but totally different car with smaller engine). One salesperson said don't get it, two others said get it citing better resale value and great drive w/ sport. Any advice on the pros (resale, performance?) and cons (priced at $3300, reliability, new technology?) of sport package? Many thanks.
  • Options
    sirtigersirtiger Member Posts: 38
    shipo, wow, I never thought about the car wash explanation for the rain sensor. That is interesting, thanks....now one logical reason not to gripe for the rain sensor issue.

as for the survey

1. 1st time BMW owner
    2. 2003 530i
    3. 1992; followed BMWs since I was 18 after driving my uncles new 535.
    4. I am 29.
    5. I love tech gadgets but only if its useful and intuitive.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    My survey answers:
    1. six
    2. 1973 Bavaria 3.0
    3. 33 years
    4. 47
    5. Sophisticated technology is great-IF it serves a legitimate purpose. I loved my old E3, but the Motronic engine management, SRS, and ABS on my track rat allow it to be faster, safer, and more reliable. What bothers me about much of the new technology in the E60 and E65 is the fact that it makes the driving experience more complex without providing any useful benefits. I was prepared to like I-Drive but I find the interface cumbersome and non-intuitive(FWIW, I am NOT averse to technology; I build/repair my home PCs and I select-and sometimes install-ICE and home theater systems for my friends). As for the current direction of BMW design, I don't care for the E65, and I find the E60 a much less graceful and cohesive design compared to the E39. It almost looks like an Accord or Camry. I do like the X3 and the spy photos I've seen of the new 3er. The Z4 has grown on me, as has the 645i. What I REALLY, REALLY don't like is Munich's abandonment of the "cockpit" style interior layout first introduced on the E12. The flat wood covered dashes of the E60 and E65 look like they were lifted from a Buick Park Avenue. I hope the rumor that Bangle is being shown the door is true. I think Munich needs to get back to doing what it does best-building ATTRACTIVE sport sedans and coupes that utilizes technology that assists the driver rather than overwhelming him/her.
  • Options
    pcp2pcp2 Member Posts: 12
    What should I buy? 545 or 330 Convert?
    $ is not the problem.
  • Options
    "What should I buy? 545 or 330 Convert?"

Go for the vehicle that puts the biggest grin on your face. The 545 has larger dimensions, more luxury items, faster, not as nimble. The 330i convert is more nimble, not as large, less luxury and has a rag top.
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    The only statistically significant conclusion that can be drawn from the stl540 study is that BMW owners are a bunch of old goats who have nothing to do on weekends. And I thought saugatak’s “leather” post was good. Saints preserve us, this is the best... as funny as getting that first AARP letter in the mail when you turn 50.

stl540, please pardon my lampoon. Actually, I’m thoroughly enjoying this and congratulate you for lighting a fire around here, keeping us busy, even if you weaseled out of revealing your age.

1) one
    2) 2003 530i
    3) 30 years starting with the 2002.
    4) 53
    5) Like warthog, div2 et al I like NON-FRIVOLOUS HI-TECH. But this is an oxymoron in the automotive world.

My impressions of the new crop of BMWs
    with regard to styling only:

Z4 – Buckets of paint thrown on canvas
    5-Series – Rosemary’s baby
    Upcoming 1-series – Rosemary’s grandson
    7-Series – Looks like the refrigerator I grew up with in the 50s.
    Upcoming 3-series – all of the above (if it’s anything like spy shots indicate)
    6-Series – Nice shape but looks girthy. Ah, but the best part of the 6—it is living proof that, in spite of our age, we still know how to criticize butts.
    X5 – What’s with those love handles? And that new “face-lifted” grille reminds me of Anthony Hopkins wearing the muzzle in Silence of the Lambs.
    X3 – X5 x .8

After re-reading my impressions a thought just occurred to me. Is it possible the Quandts are the real antichrists?

Finally, an empathic note to all of my pals in this senior citizens center who have new bimmers or plan on getting them... my disdain for the new-age BMWs is nothing personal of course... my father bought some of the worst cars known to mankind... it doesn’t mean I don’t love him.

;-)
  • Options
    "as funny as getting that first AARP letter in the mail when you turn 50."

What's so funny about it?
  • Options
    bentleyfam25bentleyfam25 Member Posts: 67
    ...50 plus or minus old? I've still got a 25- year-old mind and I'm proud of it. When I'm 75 I hope I still have a 25 year old mind.

And not only do I like well made machines, I can afford them. Several of them. That's also nice.
  • Options
    thatsarodgethatsarodge Member Posts: 1
    I'm a relatively new (Feb 02) 525i owner. Is it just me or are there others who've experienced frustration with the lousy cupholder design on the car. The design of the car in all other respects is fantastic, but what were the designers thinking when they put those tiny, inadequate things into the center console. I've already broken one of them by attempting to place a small-based coffee cup into it. The things even fight you when you try to get a soda can seated. It seems to me the cupholders were designed by folks who only drink those small cups of gluewine that they sell at German Kristkindlemarkts, and I'm not sure I want to be drinking warm wine instead of coffee during the morning commute. Are the same inadequate holders present on the 2004? I'm a victim of cupholder rage, and this message is part of the healing process...
  • Options
    atomicpunkatomicpunk Member Posts: 20
    One(I've driven most all of the BMW's since the early-80's).

2. Model year of the first one? 2004.

Owner for one month/Followed closely for 25 years (went to high school in Germany in the late 70's...have admired all the premium German auto manufacturers' efforts since then...through the eyes of a car-crazy high school boy, no doubt).

4. Person's age? 40.

Always interested in technological progress (which I think just begs the question: is it progress?). After a month of driving the E60, I feel that one of its strengths is its design and use simplicity.

My anectdotal evidence for opinions about the e60's design has been that non-BMW owners prefer it over BMW owners. I haven't noticed any connection between age and preference. I work at a place where the parking lot is filled with luxury cars made by Mercedes, Jaguar, Infinity, Lexus, Cadillac, BMW, Acura, etc. My E60 has been the talk of the shop -- a virtual buzz incubator. Of the BMW owners, the women seem to prefer the E60 to its previous incarnations. The men either ignore it or seem to hate it.
  • Options
    chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    1. two (02 530i non-sport & auto, 03 530i sport & manual)

2. 02

3. late eighties

4. 36

5. Yes, as long as it is both proven and transparent. I like the technology found in my 03 530i but my driving environment doesn’t scream technology.

The Z4 has nice exterior styling, that is, until you see the back end. The handling is impressive.

The 5-series (E60) reinforces the feeling of keeping my car until the next redesign of the 5-series or look at the Mercedes E-class.

The 7-series, well, I like it less than the current 5-series.

I do like the styling of the 6-series but the i-Drive shouldn’t be there. Redesign the dash to be more like a cockpit. Nav and secondary controls could be placed on a pop-up type display (like Audi).

Regards,
    Chris M
  • Options
    I enjoyed reading the posts. Interesting to see how people feel about Bangle's designs.

I can agree with atomicpunk's comment, "My anectdotal evidence for opinions about the e60's design has been that non-BMW owners prefer it over BMW owners. I haven't noticed any connection between age and preference." My initial impressions are the long-time BMW owners/followers would dislike the new designs. I get this impression especially when reading Roundel. It seems many letters to the editor are from those owners of the BMW 2002 and other classic BMWs who bash all of the new designs (and SUVs - but that is a different story).

designman - you are correct that I did not include my age. Here you go....Shipo-ish minus 13 years. AARP is a little ways off for me, even though I somehow ended up on their mailing list a couple years ago. Maybe they are trying to tell me something.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Everyone makes the AARP list waaay too soon ... one way or the other. ;)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    1. 0. Hopefully many in the future
    2. N/A
    3. I've lusted after and "followed" BMWs ever since I drove my friend's 1995 E36 325is w/ Sport Package & 5 speed:)
    4. 27 (sort of explains my answer to #1)
    5. I'm a fan of some technology, but much prefer technology that isn't broke so don't fix it. Things like DSC truly amaze me and I would never own a car without ABS. I think I'd even check the NAV box on my next car if the price comes down. I don't like too much technology. If I were to be in the market when the E60 was being introduced, I'd probably have flocked to the dealer to find an E39.

Z4: I really love it. If I were in the market for a mid $40K roadster right now that's what I'd get.

7 series: Didn't like it at first, but once I saw them rolling around on the factory 19" wheels it really caught my attention. I definitely give it the thumbs up.

E60 5 series: How's that old saying go, "If you can't say something nice...?" I've seen some E60s with and without sport packages. The SP equipped cars with bigger wheels and lowered suspensions are better looking than the cars without SP, but I still don't like it. While I would never mistake it for a Pontiac, I do see many "we build excitement" design cues in the front end.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    employees18employees18 Member Posts: 5
    Saturday afternoon at my local bmw dealer, Keeler bmw, trading in my 03 525 for an 04 530 was quite the experience. Over the last several years I have become quite the novice on trading recent models years for newer cars. I must say the o3 was not a bad deal in trading towards the 04 but i must say i think the new 5's are incredible. I think any true bmw fan must drive the new 5 and they will agree this car rocks! it is innovative, stylist and dead on class leading.
    Bangle rocks!
  • Options
    How does one become a novice? Don't you start out in that condition?
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Having helped a friend adjust the valve clearance on his circa 1970 BMW (prior to hydraulics on BMW's), I've been paying attention. I owned a Datsun 240 at the time, and it was more-or-less common knowledge that the Datsun 510 (previously the 1600 Sedan) was based on the BMW 1600. When Japan copies something, it's got to be good. That's how long I've been following BMW.

The '80's probably took the BMW as far away from my desires as possible -- nearly everyone who had one or wanted one had no clue what it was for. It was just the thing to do.

Anyway, I'm older now, and have observed what happens to a BMW would-be competitor when the commitment fades. In the case of the Lincoln LS, that would have been about two years (my initial impulse was to say 20 minutes, but I'm trying to be kinder and gentler). BMW has always been about performance automobile -- some can carry the rest of the family. Audi was always a competitor. Lexus had a stab at competing and Infiniti is having an even better go. Lincoln has fallen on its face, and Cadillac appears to be more successful. The fact remains that BMW is the gold standard; I'll probably own one when my present car expires.

To answer the survey: 1) 0, 2) N/A, 3) 28, 4) 55, 5) simple, but see the following

Question 5 is the most interesting. Technology is wonderful. . .SO LONG AS IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY. For now, I'll buy anything that involves electronic improvement (radios, sound systems, etc.), but am much more suspicious of things that depend on software, lots of motors or anything that's never been done before -- much like a Luddite. Anyway, until recently, BMW has offered the ability to pick and choose how much of this stuff one wanted to include on their vehicle. That was a good thing.

It remains to be seen how BMW will evolve over the next few years, when I'll most be interested in acquiring one.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    mcs19mcs19 Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone give me some feedback on the new 525i. I had a 1989 525i which was seriously underpowered. The new one has a 184 hp engine. Seems a little weak. Is it? Also, has anyone had any experience with the new 5's in ice and snow? I realize it's no X5, but is it as bad in the snow as the 5's of the past?
  • Options
    I have a 2002 540i with sport package. Standard tires on the sport package are performance tires which are horrible in the snow. Last year I drove on the performance tires and had a difficult time. This year I bought snow tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M2) on separate wheels just for winter use. They make a world of difference. I have not had any problems at all since I have the snow tires. If you do not get the sport package, the tires should be all-season which will help out a lot. Not as good as snows, but good enough. In fact, look at the optional wheel packages in the BMW 5-Series brochure and it states 'tires not recommended for winter use in ice and snow' for the sport tires. It does not have this statement on the all-season tires.

The Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) really helps to stop the car from sliding sideways when hitting slick sections on the road. It makes a huge difference having DSC keep the car going straight.
  • Options
    I have a 2002 530i and I also have a separate wheel/tire winter set. Last year here in New Hampshire, our town had 114" of snow, and my car had absolutely no problem keeping up with the big 4x4's in anything less than 10" of rutted snow. FWIW, it is my understanding that the new E60 5-Series has a very similar drive train to the last of the E39's, so I would expect that the E60 will every bit as good on the snow as my E39.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Here is my 2 cents worth :
    1. One
    2. 2001
    3. 37 years
    4.a lot older than Shipo.
    5.Like latest technology and gadgets as long as they are not intrusive, I think I-Drive would require a lot of off the road to attend to, not too great,
    Z4 - like it much better than Z3 and I do like the little rear end.
    New 5 - like it but not as much as my car... maybe in a year ... or maybe not.
    6 series - looks great , probably the best of all.
    7 series - like it but for my tastes not a player because of its size... too Big.
  • Options
    fielding_yostfielding_yost Member Posts: 17
    To add to the responses regarding the 5er in the snow, I have an '03 525, 5sp, non-SP. The all-weathers are working just fine in this Michigan snow, but the real life saver is the DSC. It's not a gimmick by any means. I'm not sure if the manual tranny is helping out too, but IMO it doesn't hurt.

With good reason, you will universally hear that bimmers with SP must have dedicated winter tires. I have a couple of co-workers who echo that sentiment. However, with a non-SP, I'm puttering along just fine <*knocking on wood*>.

The best advice I heard is that if you have any concern, get the winter tires b/c your fine machine deserves the relatively small investment of tires in comparison to the high cost of accident repair. Good luck.
  • Options
    fielding_yostfielding_yost Member Posts: 17
    This will throw your theory out of wack on newbies being more apt to like the new designs......

1. One
    2. 2003 525
    3. 1.5 years
    4. 35
    5. Love the technology and gadgets. The more the merrier.

Z4 - Really like it, after initially being lukewarm to it.

E60 - Really hate it, after initially having a positive reaction to it. I think I'm the only person here that thought it looked decent in photos, then puked when I saw it in real life. I'm already dreaming of the CPO e39 that I will buy at the end of my lease.

6 Series - The design is not offensive to me, but it's not inspiring either. I look at it and say "at least Bangle didn't screw it up". Unfortunately for BMW, they should be hoping my response was: "oh man, I aspire to drive one of those some day".

7 series - I know I'm on an island about this, but I rather like the current 7. That said, it is a decline from the e38, which I absolutely love.

I'm clearly a BMW newbie; very new to the family. However, I'm really repelled by the design of the e60. I'm even ok with i-drive as an acceptable gadget (aside from my feeling that it diverts too much attention away from the road). My wife is even more of a johnny-come-lately to BMW, and she was more averse to the e60 when she first saw it than I was. Go figure.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Hey, I'm just 31 !!! And I'm closer to a cow than a goat !!

ksso
  • Options
    mch2mch2 Member Posts: 36
    1. One
    2. 2003 530i
    3. 1 Year
    4. 39
    5. Simple. The more technology they add the more things there are to break down.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    1. One
    2. 2004 325 cic
    3. 14 years
    4. 31
    5. I absolutey adore technology, does not mean I adopt everything, but I'm of the opinion that sooner or later, technology just folds into our daily lives. Read the book "Napoleon's Buttons", if you don't trust me on this fact of life. Personally I still remember how I learned to use the mouse back in 1983-84 time frame... and I was still a very malleable kid. One day I thought, this is nuts, this is abnormal, this is unnatural and this stupid device will disappear in a year and most importantly, i'm born to be unable to use the mouse... guess where we are today. Personally I find iDrive exceptionally easy, where it sucks is that it's not intutive, but hey, it took microsoft about a decade and half and billions of dollars in investment to get microsoft word to work right and feel intutive... and so on and so forth. Also as a reminder to those non-believers in how mired our lives are in silicon, washing machines and refrigerators are carrying chips for more than a decade inside them, your TV's, your VCR's, quite a lot of things you have been using have been "taken over" by the silicon chips for more than a decade and more and more of them are going that way. Airlines have been flying with computers for ages now and far fewer people die or get hurt with airlines than errant cars... We are ready to trust our lives to these imperceptible areas where technology rules, but one little blinker won't work and we start screaming that today's cars are doomed because silicon is taking over. As the autoweek's founder said on the TV the other day, even the worst car made in 2004 is better than the best car made in 1994. Go figure...

ksso
    sometimes you are the windshield
    sometimes you are the bug
  • Options
    george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    1. two
    2. I bought my first 1978 E12 520i in Europe and I knew I was hooked to this car. Currently I have 03 530
    3. last 15 years. I took me this long to finally own one. I purchased it, not leased it
    4. 37
    5. latest electronics - i could care less. Give me a responsive engine, excellent suspension & manual transmission and I am all set. Electronics simply break down. I would like to know how many of these new cars will be on the road twenty years from now.

Like Z4, dislike e60 (this is why I bought mine E39 last year), 6 series - IMHO this is Bangle's best work so far, 7 series - neutral but I would never own one.
  • Options
    vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    -ONE (have ridden/driven friend's cars before)
    2. Model year of the first one?
    -3 years
    4. Person's age?
    Technology should make life simple, safer, less stressful and the car more fun to drive. Give me the latest technology like the swinging xenon or the dynamic sports suspension anyday. However any software which requires more than one click in a car for an operation which can be performed by a mechanical control is a poorly engineered product; Software/Electronic enhancements have to have the same simplicity of use as the mechanical equivalents. I do not mind clicking a few times more when for searching for a restaurant or locating an address.
  • Options
    employees18employees18 Member Posts: 5
    I really don't understand why the new 5 is getting such poor reviews for the redesign. I drove my 03 into the dealer and parked it next to
    an 04 and it certainly made my car look old hat. I know style is subjective, but personally I like the new style...its bold, edgy and loaded with upscale good looks, oh and for anyone who still is not quite a believer, go drive the it! It blew me away, much improved over the 03. My two cents
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    employees18... So you traded in your "03 525 for an 04 530" and now you love the 530i. What is surprising about that? The 5 Series really needs the 3.0L engine. That goes for both E39 and E60.

What options did your 525i have? Its MSRP? The only decent E39 525i is a stripped one with manual transmission and Sport Pkg. Car is too heavy with an automatic and the Sport Pkg really improves it. Add options and it is too expensive. (Hard to justify a $45K car with 2.5L engine.)

What options does your E60 530i have? Its MSRP?

Styling is subjective. To each their own. I much prefer the E39, both inside and out, but especially inside.

One small question: Does the E60 use the space-eating el cheapo trunk hinges? Thought I saw a picture of the trunk with the hinges. The E39 used the space saving multi-link hinges that don't intrude.

If you really want to appreciate the 5 Series, go M5 or 540i6/545i6. Loved my '98 540i6.
  • Options
    I don't care for the E60 styling either, but I must say that a lot of the criticism of the E60 smacks of being defensive of what the critic already owns (or owned).
  • Options
    tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    I am looking at a used 2003 540i sedan at my local BMW dealer.
    It has a 5 speed automatic transmission.
    The transmission does not have the tiptronic or "Sport" mode of the transmission on the 04 545.
    I was looking at some of the older used 540's for sale on the internet and they all look like they
    have the +/- like the 04 tiptronic.

What is up with this?
    Why does the 03 not have this feature, was it an option?
    I was not happy with the shift program, it did not let the engine wind up at partial throttle.

Thanks.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    tom17... You are looking for an E39 540i automatic with the Sport Package. Gives you the 3.15:1 final drive (up from 2.82:1), same as the M5. But this craters fuel economy so the cars when sold as new had an expensive gas guzzler tax. If you absolutely have to get an automatic, then by all means get an E39 540ia Sport. But you really should consider an E39 540i6. The 6-speed manual is much to be prefered.
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    The "Tiptronic" you refer to is called "Steptronic" on BMWs

The 03 540i was the only 5-series that came with either automatic or 6-speed manual as STANDARD.

However the STANDARD automatic on the 540 was the only non-Steptronic offered on any 5-series car and did not have the "sport" mode that you mention. Yes, curious but not abnormal.

The Steptronic was an OPTION on all 5 series cars except the M5.

The "Sport Package" that riez refers to has nothing to do with the "Sport Mode" of the Steptronic transmission however. It is separate package that has larger/wider wheels and a stiffer suspension among other things.

If you want the Stepronic automatic on an 03 540, look a little further... it is very common, moreso than the car you saw.