Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• akuma1akuma1 Member Posts: 37
    Ya a lot of the options in the US are standard though there are a thing or two that is standard in the US but optional here. Anyhow. I have asked 2 sales people already. One didn't know what I was talking the other one sort of knows. Still both depended on a sheet of package that listed all the options and prices but it couldn't save his life.
  • vishnu11vishnu11 Member Posts: 59
    Anybody have any experience negotiating price with Herb Chambers BMW in Boston? What's the experience you have had? And how much over invoice did you pay?

Thanks!
  • 5speed55speed5 Member Posts: 31
    GLeen,

Those prices sound good to me. Here in NY, your lucky if they give you $1,000 off.
  • hnnguyenhnnguyen Member Posts: 5
    5speed5,
    How long do the performance tires last compare to std tires?

Please advise on how to "properly" setup the stock DSP sound system for the 5-series. I noticed there is a lack of bass when using BMW preset options.

Thanks. Hnn
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    The sport tires probably get about half the life of a standard all weather tire on average. This could mean 18-20K miles on the sport tires.

The DSP EQ settings should create more of a "V" setting - lower freq's boosted high, midrange flat and higher freq's set higher. Also the echo and room size should be set low.
  • jarbitaljarbital Member Posts: 3
    Thanks 5speed5 for the reply.

The dealer checked the car out and found the charging system to be ok.

They said that there is a slight draw for the computer that occurs when the car is idle so these cars need to be put on a trickle charger if they sit longer then a week. In fact, BMW just came out with an on-board charger (sounds like shore power for a boat) that allows the owner to plug the car in to 110V when the car sits.

I've also read this in repair manuals and the owners manual. Must be real.

The dealer said in happens to all BMWs, even high end stuff. Hard to believe.

I'm still going to search for a current draw, that may be making the situation worse.

Thanks for the comments.
    It is hard to believe that expensive cars like BMW and Mercedes can have so much problems. Maybe the question should be who's cars have the most problems?
  • vasgarvasgar Member Posts: 7
    I have frequently had a smiliar thought.I love the 530I and will probably purchase one this summer: 2002 year model. However, I have driven an Acura since 1988: three Legends (coupes) and one 3.2TL. All vehicles were virtually trouble free. When had them serviced I receive a loner (free) and a complementary wash. I purchased the vehicles at two separate dealerships, both of which treated me as a valued and "appreciated" customer. Having said that, I have to acknowledge that the sales person I have been talking with in Virginia Beach has also acted in a professional manner.
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I received a bit of a windfall and was contemplating getting the BMW phone installed in my 530i. Does anyone have it? And if so, can you give me your opinion of it? Thanks.
  • sec1sec1 Member Posts: 16
    GLEEN,
    Those quotes seem to be very similar to the ones I got.

Personally, just ordered a 530I (orient blue w/ gray leather interior) w/ premium pkg,cld wthr pckg, xenon lights,premium HI-FI stereo, & cd in dash and got $2700 off MSRP! Very,very happy with the deal I got.

Went to 2 dealers and they both offered $1500 over invoice. Went with the dealer who offered to add pinstripes (personally like the look after i saw a couple with pinstripes. They don't stand out,but adds a nice touch and makes your car a bit different than others), plus it doesnt hurt that the dealer is only a 5 min drive from home.

Now, I just wish that August 10th will get here sooner.

Good luck Gleen
  • lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    Where did you find a deal like that in CT? Best I could find in CT was $2,300 over invoice. I ended up ordering in NY.
  • monwenmonwen Member Posts: 14
    I have the cpt8000 which I got with my car on delivery. I use Verizon and in many cases, the sound quality on the handset is as good as a land line phone. However, the speakerphone is just that ... a speakerphone. It is integrated with the stereo system & you can scroll dial with the steering wheel controls or actually dial a number from the soft button on the radio panel. I recommend it over having your local cellular carrier drill holes and then not have the other conveniences.
    Went to Mauro Motors in North Haven, CT first. I believe that since I'm located in Hartford County, they would've been stealing a buyer from New Country Motors in Hartford so they gave me a great deal that turns out to be $1500 over invoice. Needless to say, New Country Motors matched their offer. I would recommend both dealers if anyone is looking in CT. It was a hard decision, because personally I liked Mauro Motors a little more, but New Country is way more convenient.
    I went to Mauro first also. $2300 over invoice and I didn't even negotiate. As soon as I said Euro delivery the discount disapeared and was replaced by the $2760 BWM Euro discount. Fairfield County, where I live, was worse. 2% off of MSRP for US delivery and no discount, other than the $2760, for Euro delivery.

I ended up with $1450 over invoice plus the $2760 BWM Euro discount at a NY dealer. I would have gone with Mauro if they would have recognized the fact that their invoice is reduced by $2760 for Euro delivery.

Anyway, mid-October and I pick up a 2002 in Munich.
  • jccsscjccssc Member Posts: 44
    Not sure if anybody has experiences like this: picked up a new Sports-premium 528i sedan (steptronic) last Sept.- thinking it would be my daily car since my wife already got her VW new beetle just a year before. Well, did not expect her to love the bimmer so much that it has become her daily car and I only get to drive it during weekends and holidays!
    2 things I learned from this - ONE - BMW is really a fun and exciting car to drive; and TWO - we are planning to replace "her" beetle with a bimmer in the near future!!
    I know this has been asked countless of times and really can't be answered but I think a lot of us may want to know more about it. Perhaps one key difference may just strike us enough. Are there any forseable diff in resale value. I know the new V8 is coming out but not in Canada next year or something.
  • chesdin2chesdin2 Member Posts: 19
    Just picked up a Euro delivery 530i myself and sounds like you got a great price. It's amazing what dealers try to pull on ED pricing with no acknowledgement that invoice is lower by about the same as MSRP!

Anyhow, in case you aren't already familiar with Euro delivery, I can tell you it's a GREAT experience. The only drawback is that for the first 1K miles you're supposed to stay under 4500 rpm and 100 m.p.h. (Hard to do!).

Anyway, in the event you're planning to DROP OFF the car in Munich, they have a "not publicized" service where you can drop the car off on a weekend for an additional $75. They come get you at your hotel, and bring you to the airport. (Be sure to net out the $60 cab fare to the airport when considering if it's worth the money!)

Contact Pawel Byglewski or Gerd Behrends at E.F. Harms (BMW's shipping company) in Munich, e-mail PByglewski@mail.eharms.de. Very nice guys and very helpful. They can also e-mail you a detailed map of how to get to their office, though it was not hard to find.

It was no issue for us to drop off on a Friday, since we stayed the last two days in Munich. However, this option gives you more flexibility if you catch a Sunday flight home like we did.

We scoped the drop-off area to see what kinds of cars people had ordered through ED. Couple of 540's, two 330's, and an M5. All with manual transmissions. No surprises there!

Have fun...!
    Thanks for the drop off info. Do you think they do that in Paris or London - my likely drop off points?

I can understand your feelings about the 100 mph drawback. But, then you'd have to face the 128 mph limiter next :).

Did you run across any accessories that are better to purchase in Germany than in the US?
    I only have 4 months to wait to pick mine up.
  • taylorttaylort Member Posts: 31
    I just got my new 530ia Thursday (sport/Premium Pkg). I love the car. It response to the slightest touch. I let my wife drive it Thursday after I got home and she was going around a curve and let out a loud OOOOOHHHHH. I looked over quickly and she said the steering respond to just a slight movement. It is jet black with beige interior. It is a beautiful car with the sports package.

I had about a 45 mile drive home and I did notice that you can feel to road while driving. This has it's positives and negatives. You can feel almost all the bumps in the road. The only other negatives are the cup holders and the center console.

One question: The manual recommend 91 octane fuel. I was told that you can use a lower grade (89) and it will not harm the car but fuel economy may suffer. Anyone has an thoughts?
  • chesdin2chesdin2 Member Posts: 19
    I looked thru my ED stuff and found that you can drop off in both London and Paris:

London:
    E.H. Harms UK
    Heathrow Business Centre
    Technicolor Building
    Bath Road
    West Drayton, Middlesex UB7 0DB
    Phone: 44 181-5648753

Paris:
    E.H. Harms GmbH
    Parking Foch "Shell"
    Avenue Foch
    75116 Paris
    Phone: 331-45002843

I'd just e-mail or call them and see if they can arrange for weekend drop-off. A related word of caution: There are a LOT of holidays in Europe. It would be worth checking with your intended location to make sure they're open the day you want to drop you car off.

You can probably find an e-mail address for any city of the 20 or so cities by going to the EF Harms Web site.

Regarding accessories, I'm not sure I understand your question but I didn't really see anything to pick up. They supposedly have a BMW "boutique" there but I don't recall seeing it. We awaited delivery (only 30-45 minutes or so) in a little cafeteria they have set up (free lunch!).

I have to admit that I did bend the break-in rules at 900 miles right before I turned my car in: doing the 4500 RPM limit in 5th gear, which resulted in 116 m.p.h. Even at that speed, you got the sense that the car wasn't straining very much. I'll bet you'd bounce right into that 128 m.p.h. speed limiter...!
    Can't wait.
    My salesperson told me I could use an 89 octane because he said the engine would adjust itself to the fuel, but I'd rather not mess with a great thing and have been fueling with 92 only. I haven't heard if the fuel economy changes with the lower octane.
    Thank you for your input on the phone. If I do get it, I will also use Verizon as I already have a great plan with them.
  • robert111robert111 Member Posts: 11
    I too have a 2002 5 series on order, mine from a dealer in Albany, NY. I paid $1800 over invoice, or about $2400 under MSRP. Sec1, you mentioned the August 10 date. Why? Did your dealer indicate he could deliver that early? At this point, I have no idea when my car will be delivered, or even when the dealer will be able to order a 2002. I do remember hearing somewhere that the BMW factory in Germany is closed in August for their summer vacation and that they begin production of the next model year upon return. I ordered a 530i sport/premium in steel blue with grey leather with fold down rear seat. You guys might be interested in visiting another BMW board while you're waiting for your car to come in. It's at http://www.bimmer.org/5series/messages/

Good luck to you both.

I too have a 2002 530i on order. The factory closes in August and 2002 production begins in September. Right now BMW is saying that the earliest Euro delivery for a US car is 22 October. That doesn't mean that they couldn't deliver in the US sooner, but probably by no more than a few weeks. It would depend how they allocate early production to various countries.

Two weeks ago I was told I could pick it up in Munich on 16 October. It is now slipped to 22 October. They will finalize the date at the end of July.
  • GLeenGLeen Member Posts: 46
    I just received a quote over the net from one of those 2 CT dealers you mentioned for $1,500 over invoice. This is great! Thanks!
  • cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    Has anyone noticed a rubbing sound coming from behind the steering wheel when turning the at slow speeds?
  • bogvlybogvly Member Posts: 13
    I've noticed the sound- it's like a squeak when you turn the wheel- and only at slow speeds. I heard it frequently when the car was brand new, but haven't noticed it lately- I have 2400 miles on my 530. I figure I'll mention it on my first service.
    I was told Aug. 10 delivery. I suppose I could've waited for the 2002 model, but didn't put much emphasis on it, since I like the 2001 style. If I ordered soon, as I did, they will make my car before the factory goes on vacation. My salesperson, told me that the 5-series will get a whole new look in 2004. That could be perfect for me if I decide to trade my car in.
    I have a feeling that you got $1500 quote from the dealer in North Haven. They are a class act.
    Is there a bigger difference betwee MSRP and Invoice prices on 540 than 530? Or is the markup the same and hence not exactly a better deal?
  • kgreenb4mekgreenb4me Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my 1st BMW today... couldn't be more excited. How I'll sleep 4 the next 6 weeks while waiting is now the bigger question. I purchased the 530i Orient Blue w/Black Leather and all options (Steptronic/Sport-Premium/Comfort Seats/Cold pkg/Xenon/Navig./Premium HI-IF/Split Rear Seats/Power Shade/Rear Bags) except heated steering - parking sensors (irritating) - and phone...50K and change. Yes, I could have purchased nearly any of the other cars listed on this board at that price but in my mind none really compared when looking at "the entire package". Now my wife's whining because I've found the after market products (could add $$ in options here as well). My question, is there an after market group that offers a better (less expensive) phone system for car? Dealer couldn't answer. Also, as far as dealers go, I live in a small town - only 1 (Surroz BMW). Almost didn't buy a BMW because of service I received (these aint Saturns). When quoted high, I responded I'd want to quote other dealers (next closest 1 hour drive), was told OK...but that they "handled THEIR BMW buyers 1st, and OTHERS 2nd. Have to wonder about the poor people just moving into town who've bought elsewhere. Dealer in Fresno (Weber BMW...See Alex) bettered price, promised quicker delivery by 3 weeks, and offered to have someone meet me half-way between if needed in future! He got the order the same day - Today! Visalia and surrounding area potential BMW buyers BEWARE! Seek out the service you deserve. And can anyone answer the phone question? Thank you in advance.
  • shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    Had a 2yr lease on a 528 that I just returned test drove a bunch of car but nothing came close to my bimmer so decided to lease a new 530ia they didnt have any to test drive but figured it was same car with a little more power.Boy was I wrong car blew me away the ride is not as harsh as my 528 both have sport and they xtra horsepower feels great and xenons feels like your always driving in the daytime
    Regarding your question about the phone, check out the archives on the bimmer.org board or post a message there. Here's the url--

http://www.bimmer.org/5series/messages/

no $ down 695a mth 36/12miles msrp 47500 8.5taxes in payment
    around 1400 upfront 1st mth bank 525 plates no security since had a bmw
    I got him to go down to 43958 I drove the audi but I like my old 528 better and now that I have the 530ia I like it much better my price was 610 or 620 for the audi but it was 39 mths I included the sport pack and 17 inch wheels on the audi. 500 is a great price for a very nice car my price difference was 70 bucks so I went with the 530 for u 250 amth is alot of bucks to think about
    try this calc works great
    www.carcalcs.com/LeasingGuide/LeaseCalcs.html
    it's the final price on car no fees or taxes added
  • dknapp1dknapp1 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 2001 530iA that is "on the boat" and should arrive at my dealer next week. The car has almost everything I wanted, Premium Package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package and In-dash DC. I would have liked Xenon lights, but I didn't want to wait. Does anyone know if dealers can install these and how much it would cost. Also, is there a way I can track the status of my car by its VIN number. Thanks.
    Go to BMWNA.com to the Owner's Circle. Your dealer can provide you with the number you need to register there and get the info on the status of the car you ordered, including which ship it is on. There is another site, sorry I can't remember the name or url, where you can track the progress of any ship and find out the port where it will dock. I'll get back to you on the url for the site that provides the ship info.
    Is there going to be one next year? Or will it be two years from now? Anyone confirm?
    The url to check on ships is www.wlna.com
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    The shippers web site is at www.wlna.com

You will however need the ships name, which is on your dealers official order sheet for your car. The VIN number will not help at this site.
  • pahtripahtri Member Posts: 5
    Will there be a 530 Touring model? Any new options? I want to order one but maybe I can wait for 2003 model.
  • kgreenb4mekgreenb4me Member Posts: 2
    Appreciate the info... Thanks
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Supposedly all the engines will be moved to valvetronic in a year or two; aditionally the v8 will be bumped up in size a bit and this will be reflected in the badging; the 540 will become the 545 and the 740, the 745. I'd expect hp to climb to maybe 320 or so with the switch.

dave
  • cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    Can anyone let me know how the 530 handles in snow.
    Thanks
  • 5speed55speed5 Member Posts: 31
    Check out post #689......remember the tires will affect the way the car handles in the snow. For lots of snow driving, I would consider changing in the winter to a set of "Blizzak" tires.
    I live in northern New York, about the same latitude as Vermont, and wondered about the same thing. The 5 series is, I understand, terible in snow, especially with the wider tires that come with the sport package. Even the regular tires are bad. Those who have mounted snow tires claim traction's much better, quite acceptable. Try tirerack.com for good prices and comparative data on all types of tires.
  • dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    hello everyone!

I have a 98 528I ending lease in August. Res $30,650. 30,000 milies. Blk with gray lthr sport pkg, any thought whether it is wise to buy it out or what I should do? Getting a 530i seems like a little silly for me.
    Thanks in advance!
    Dan