Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    SRFast, I checked the Zeckhausen.com site and found it very interesting that their procedure was vastly different from (and in many ways contradictory to) the procedure recommended by PBR/Axxis. Consider the following:

Item included with my set of pads identified as:

PBR/Axxis Manufacturer Recommended Break-In Procedure.

Note: This procedure should either be carried out by a professional installer or the customer in the event the installer does not.

After PBR/Axxis Deluxe or Metal Master brake pads are installed:

1)
    Accelerate vehicle to 30MPH.
    2) Apply brakes using "light" to "moderate" pedal effort to a "slow" stop.
    3) Repeat procedure 10 times allowing 30 second intervals for brake recovery between each procedure.

Under no circumstances should the vehicle be driven with the brakes continually applied during the break-in procedure as this will cause:

1) Excessive heat to be generated.
    2) Resins to be burnt.
    3) Loss of braking efficiency.

Be certain to avoid heavy braking or panic stops for the first 150 to 200 miles of driving, except of course in emergency situations. This prevents the creation of "glaze" before the pads have a chance to properly seat.

I performed this procedure this afternoon and it is definitely at odds with the Zeckhausen instructions. I wonder which procedure is the best.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I used the Axxis procedure when I put Metalmasters on my M6 the night before a Solo 1 at Memphis. It's really fun performing the procedure at 1:30 AM on a sleepy suburban street ;) I'm out of the car shopping mode as well, as I am looking at a R1100S and a Triumph Sprint 900.
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    year, he used the bedding procedure outlined on his website. To date, the brakes are virtually squeal free and they perform well. I've used the procedure on other cars/brake pads with no problems.
  • stl540stl540 Member Posts: 67
    I attended the BMW Susan G Komen driving event this weekend. I was able to drive the 545iT, Z4 2.5 SMG, X3 3.0 and X3 2.5. I will comment on the 545i6. The following are the opinions of a nonprofessional driver. I did, however, win the ‘Best Performer’ award during the competition (driving around a test track) against 18 other drivers in the X3 Ultimate Driving Experience competition, so I may deserve a little more credit. ;-)

I really enjoyed driving the manual tranny during the test drive of the 545i. I currently have a 2002 540iA SP. I bought the auto so my wife could drive it the 4x a year when she needs too. Ugh, does not seem worth it when put it those terms. The 545iTcar was very quick and comfortable. It had a very pleasant ride.

Active Steering:
    At slow speeds it was effortless to maneuver around the parking lot. I really liked how easy it was to steer at slow speeds. I did not have any issue with the active steering at any speed. I was able to reach fairly high speeds on the test drive and the car was very responsive no matter the speed.

iDrive:
    I do not think it is that difficult to use the system once a person has a little time with it. I remember test driving the 2002 540i before I bought it and had to work to figure out exactly how to use all of the features of the system. Of course it did not take long in my 2002 540i and I feel the same with the iDrive. Once you are able to understand how to use the system, it becomes second nature. I did not feel myself taking my eyes off the road more than I would on any other car.

Power:
    I cannot completely come to a conclusion on this one. I felt the power was there, but I felt somewhat removed from feeling it. My 540i has the wonderful sound of the engine when getting on the throttle which I love. I cannot remember the exact sound when I hit the throttle, but I do not remember it being the same as my car. I know the car took off very quick, but I do not think I felt it as much as I would have liked. The tires were very sticky and kept the car from excessive wheel spin.

Handling:
    Excellent!!! Although I was not able to ‘feel’ the road as much as many BMW enthusiasts would like, I was really impressed. I was able to hit above normal highway speed on a two lane road during the test drive. The car stuck to the corner with minimal effort and felt like it wanted a lot more. The responsiveness was good. Again, I think many enthusiasts would like more road feel than the 545iT gives them.

6-Speed:
    I do not drive one everyday so it is hard to compare. During my drive I had to be careful not to put in reverse when attempting to hit 1st gear. Maybe it is something I need to get used to. I have not driven a manual on a regular basis in a couple years. The overall feel of the manual was very good.

Exterior and interior:
    No comments. Too many strong opinions on the subjects. 

Overall impressions:
    The car likes to go fast and is easy to handle when doing so. It takes very little effort to handle the car in tough circumstances. The seats and seating position were as comfortable than my 540i. The driver is a little more removed from the road feel than my 540i (not necessarily a bad thing depending on the driver’s preference).

I love my 540i and currently do not see the need to trade it on a new 545i. I would consider buying a 545i right now if my situation was different. The new 545i will definitely be on my short list when my current car needs to be replaced. I anticipate that I will buy a 2-seat roadster to complement my 540i in the next 12-24 months, so the need to replace my current car will be extended by a couple years.
  • banglenotbanglenot Member Posts: 31
    I've had the E60 since January, bought to replace my E39, and have a couple of comments.

As most know, I rearended a guy a few weeks ago, and now have some real feedback to share from the BMW bodyshop. First, the cost for the very low-speed hit is about $8K. At least $1500 of this is related to repairs on the aluminum that wouldn't have been an issue with steel, since the 3/4 inch displacement of the upper left frame ear that holds the radiator cannot be straightened. The fix includes high cost removal and replacement (the riveting alone is $300), and use of a unique and expensive alignment device. On a steel car, it would have been 10 minutes work to straighten it out.

While I was there, I saw another E60 where the RF wheel had been hit enough to damage the aluminum housing around the shock absorber mounting area. Hit to RF fender area, apparently. The body guys told be it had been totalled by the insurance company, primarily because structural damage to the aluminum requires replacement of large sections rather than repair.

So, consider the issue when you buy the 545, et al. Not much you can do about it, but hang well back from the car in front of you.

While contemplating this, I've been driving my wife's '03 325xi. Pre-Bangle design style, like the E39.

I've begun to realize that the E60 really doesn't do anything much better than my E39 did. I won't waste anyone's time with the litany of issues we've all heard before, and the E60 is a fine car, etc, etc. It's just as I considered the incremental improvements over the E39, I really couldn't come up with anything that is dramatically better in the E60. Back seat's bigger, but don't spend much time there. I-drive is OK, but can't see much definitive improvement over the E39 control set. I like the E60 rain sensor and turnsignal tweaks, certainly, over the E39. Wouldn't have paid for them as options, though.

I was driving my wifes (smaller, sportier) car a few weeks ago, and said out of the blue that I realized I liked hers better. After six months of ownership, not much about the E60 jumps out at me to remind me that it's better than the E39. I suppose if I'd never owned a BMW before, the E60 would be a knockout -- but with a few Munichmobiles behind me, the E60 doesn't seem like much of an improvement over previous generations.

Just my 2 cents -- don't want to start a debate, but wanted to share my reactions as a longer-term user who moved from the E39 to the E60.

Cheers--
    I had a 3-Series loaner car a couple times for 2-3 days at a time when my 5-Series was in for service. I agree the 3-Series is a lot of fun to drive. It is smaller and lighter than the 5-Series and is blast to drive on curvy roads. The 5-Series is in a completely different class than the 3-Series. IMHO, the highway mannerism, interior comfort, wind noise, size, etc are better in the 5 Series. The 3 does a lot of things very well, but the 5 is more luxurious while still being a wonderful performing car. It may not be a light and nimble as the 3, but that is why there are two different classes of cars depending on what the driver decides is more important.

I found that I appreciated the 5-Series even more after I got my car back from service.
  • banglenotbanglenot Member Posts: 31
    Understood -- most of my "I like the 325xi better" comment was driven by the wraparound feel of the car and it's overall interior aethestics as a design that reminded me of my 2001 E39.

Agree entirely that 3XX is not 5XX. My wife's car just reminded me of the things I liked in the E39 -- cockpit, radio that's just a radio, climate control that just does what it's supposed to do etc, etc. While the E60 does a lot of things differently than the E39, with complete honesty there's not all that much it does that is inherently better than the E39.

I like my E60 and will cheerfully drive it through the lease, but if someone said "Here's a brand-new 2004 E39 to drive if you want it", I'd probably be just as happy to take it. Yeah, I know there aren't any 2004 E39's, but so be it....

Cheers--
  • lovemybeamerlovemybeamer Member Posts: 5
    I am turning to you, the experts, to ask what you think a fair price for a 2002 530. Its features are Automatic, premium and sports packet, xenon lights and has 39,500 miles on it. I live in Houston, Tx.
    I suggest that you start by looking up your car with the Edmunds TMV (True Market Value) program on their home page. Their price will be a whole lot more scientific than what "we think". ;-) Also, the price will vary by about $2,000 or so depending upon whether or not it has been CPO certified.

Let us know what you come up with.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    As the proud owner of a 2003 530 SP who has also driven the e60 in Germany, I can say that I feel no urge to consider the new 530/545 as a replacement any time soon. Like most, I can accomodate the new iDrive 2.0 easily, but it doesn't "improve" my BMW experience.

I've mentioned this before on one of these boards... Peter Drucker said something I believe in deeply that refers to anything "new and improved"... "An innovation, to be effective, has to be simple and has to be focused. It should do only one thing, otherwise, it confuses. All effective innovations are breathtakingly simple. Indeed, the greatest praise an innovation can receive is for people to say: This is obvious. Why didn't I think of it?"

Would hate to see BMW get a little too smart for its own good. Hope the next M5 is a driving tour de force that let's the driver actually concentrate on driving! Let those lessons learned trickle down into the other variants. Maybe the new crop of engines will breath new life into the e60!

Hard to top the e39, IMO. Hope that by the time it's ready for that big race track in the sky, that BMW will have returned to doing what they do best, which is building the finest driving machines.

Off topic, but kinda interested in the upcoming 4-Series Coupe. Hear it will have a V8 option and may not be as "bangleized" as the current 7 & 5. Maybe designed and executed in the true spirit of BMW??!!
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    stl540, you probably don't know this but you have an unlucky couple in suburban Maryland to thank for your experience in the 545i. The Susan Korman rally was at Passport BMW in Silver Hill, Maryland about a month or so ago and they had a 530 but no 545i to drive. So, I took the 530 out. It had SP and SMG (which you ought to consider if your next car has to be an automatic...definitely better than Triptronic). Anyway, after my wife and I got done with the 530, the next couple took it out AND WRECKED IT! Nobody hurt but the damage was bad enough to pull it out of the tour. And, apparently, they replaced it with a 545i.

I found your comments very interesting and pretty much in accord with my own experience driving a 545. I have to replace my aging (dead ancient, to hear my wife describe it) 1986 325eS soon and am seriously contemplating an SP equipped 545 manual.
    It is unfortunate that someone had to wreck a 530i SMG for me to have the benefit of driving the 545iT (glad to hear that no one was hurt!!!). I was happy to take advantage of the situation!!! I actually was surprised and VERY happy when I saw the 545i was available.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    545i or a 545iT (wagon)?

-Paul
    ah, good catch....it was a 545i 6-speed.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    I dropped my 03 525i at the BMW Dealership this morning, there is a problem with my transmission module. It has to FEDEXed overnight to be re-programmed. It will take a few days, but they gave me a loaner.

While at the dealer, I found out that BMW will change your oil free of charge if it has been over a year since the last oil change. Regardless of mileage and service light indicators. The key is that you must request the oil change because you do not feel comfortable waiting for the service light indicators. So, they changed my oil at 9300 miles.

As reported before on this site, BMW uses a special lubricate to prevent the doors from rattling when driving the car over uneven road surfaces. This problem is more common out West (AZ).

Test Drove a 04 530i.

Feel:

A totally different feel in the driver's seat. No more cockpit feeling, it is more like a normal sedan, not good but not bad either.

Performance:

There was very little noticeable difference between the power of the 525 E39 and the new 530. There was less engine noise in the new 530!

Handling:

The new active steering was impressive!!! Works very well.

I Drive:

Not great, but I could work with it!

Space:

There is more space everywhere!

Overall:

Good car, but I am not ready to trade the E39 yet.
    months, but they will not do anything else included with the "Oil Service" process and will not reset the service indicator lights. When the service indicators lights display "Oil Service", the dealer will perform the required service, but will NOT change your oil again. BMWNA reimburses them for one oil change per car, regardless of when it was performed.

Regards....JL
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Well I've recently taken up golf (just the driving range for now) and there are 2 things that really burn me up: 1. I stink 2. There are always some gorgeous cars parked in the lot!

Today after whacking away at the rubber tee with a set of 40+ year old clubs that used to be my Grandmother's (not a bad excuse, but it is the truth), I passed a beautiful Black/Black E39 530i SP 5spd (still love the aggressive stance and look of the E39), a Black/Black E46 M3 Coupe 6spd, a Black/Black 6spd V8 Audi S4, and a very pretty Dark Blue Boxster S.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mtv65mtv65 Member Posts: 45
    Real world prices for pre-owned 530i sport?!? 01-03 model years to be more specific. I've got ~$25k to spend on a car, any car. Here's the list so far - 01-03MY E39 530i with SPP or E46 330i with SPP(sport package), Audi B5 S4(the V6 Bi-turbo) sedan but prefer an Avant. I'm biased towards the BMW having owned several from 2002 to e36 328i to E36 M3 but the S4 sure does make a point. I've test driven a lot of cars these past few weeks and have finally narrowed it down to these 3 very impressive machines. Thanks in advance for your response!!
    Thanks and good point on the CPO. I think Audi has an identical CPO program 6yrs/100k. $25k IS a big hunka change.....worked long and hard to make it so I'm lookin' to spend it wisely. If I do go the 'private seller' route, where do you suggest I take the vehicle for inspection? This is the most critical stage of buying used IMHO. Do I take it to the nearest BMW dealer? Would their inspection be as thorough as if they were certifying it?? Also, how much should I expect to pay for this service? Sorry for all the ????'s, but like you said, $25k is a whole lot of money to lose on a lemon. Heck, $10k-$12k is a lotamoney!! Thanks again!!

-MannyV in Cali
    Hmmm, I just did a quick "look-see" on the internet, as such, I seriously doubt that you could get your hands on any 530i SP for $25K, even through a private party. In fact, even a 330i SP would be difficult (but not impossible) to come by for that price. I'm less informed about the Audi, that may be your only option if $25K is your absolute limit.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    My dealer will change at 12 months, and again at 15K (or whenever the indicator say it is due). Maybe that is just your dealer.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

new brake pads? BTW, I've driven my car at least 300 miles, including a round trip of 215 miles to Lime Rock Park today since my last car wash and there is only a light coating of brake dust on the front wheels. It is barely visiable.

Regards....JL
    Sorry, it's too soon to tell. Our weather around here had been extremely rainy and as such I haven't washed my car since the new pads went on. I will say that I don't think the wheels got any dirtier in the 600 miles or so that I've put on them since the switch, so the prognosis is good.

It also looks like I'm going to have to pop for a set of rear pads as well as they now seem to be getting dirtier that the fronts.

I'll keep you posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tlmmhowelltlmmhowell Member Posts: 48
    I went to a Graduation party last night and was told about a class action lawsuit for 60 mill that BMW settled for dealers putting reg. oil in cars fradulently. Perhaps this is a lie or perhaps this is old info, but I was very surprised. I believe I will change my own oil from now on (free therapy) even at the major check-ups. Boy, do I need an independent mechanic!
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    What you heard at the graduation party seems to defy logic. BMW has been implementing long oil change schedules (15000 miles or 12 months). Using inferior oils will only save them a few dollars each oil change with potentially serious consequence of engine problems which will cost them a lot more, not to mention the reputation of the BMW brand.
    I doubt this rumor very much just from a common sense point of view.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    A few years back I was in the market for a family vehicle. I liked both the Escape and the Explorer. However, one picture of the Escape in the NHTSA tests was enough to prove otherwise. How shallow would we be, as a society, to go with the prettier one instead of the safer one? Doesn't matter how pretty your car is if you are dead in a car where you may have lived in another.

Fortunately, in this day and age we can have both a beautiful car and a safe one.
    You know, the unforunate thing is if you wind up and nail your grille, or any grille of a car with your heel, you can smash it to pieces, it is that weak. Wind up and smack your bumper and aside from a scuff mark, it is fine. I have seen and been in the car where you were literally stopped only to touch a high bumper with your threshold braking car, you literally tap it and your are now the proud owner of a hood that looks like a taco.

Strength issues aside, I don't know if it has been tested yet, although I expect top notch remarks from the E60.

It really boils down to rotten luck when your bumper is not there when you need it.
    Just say it, you like your Bimmer. I can agree with that, that's fine and you are entitled to be biased...you love your car.

Just don't tell me that there was "very little noticeable difference" between a 03 525 in terms of performance and a brand new, lighter E60 with a bigger engine! Either you drove it with a towel under the gas pedal or you buckled yourself into the cockpit resigned to the fact that you like your cars better.

Which one is it?

I am justing kidding around so don't take it seriously...
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    There is s4 avant 01 with 36k miles for sale in the autoweek classifieds but they're asking 31,500 - looks like its in chigaco. It's silver.
    Mark
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I just bought out my 2001 530 with SP/PP when my lease was up, and the credit union had a resale value on it of over $32K. With its lower end mileage, I would sell it for a bit more to a private party if I was so inclined. For $25K you will probably have to look for an older model 5er.
    Good luck in your search.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Your question is fair.

There may have been a towel under the gas pedal, I am not an overly aggressive driver. I was expecting a lot more power from the 530, but there was little to be found. That was disappointing. Yes, both cars are Autos, so they are not that fast to begin with. If you want to get the most out of these cars, I guess you need a stick!

I liked the E60, but I am not sure for the extra money that it is much of an improvement over the E39.

Yes, the car is lighter, you can tell just by touching the front and rear bumpers that it is not as solid as a E39.
    Alright, sold the CrewCab over the weekend...ready to buy. Although we may get a somewhat biased opinion here(bmw owners are generally known to be well educated), what's a good buy for ~$25k given this scenario. Young couple in their 30's with 1 child and a medium sized dog, Springer Spaniel if it matters =). We've looked at 3 and 5 series wagons as well as Audi Avants. From what I've read here at TownHall, Audi's are a reliability risk. Any specific years that I should avoid and why? I like the bmw sedans/wagons a lot but cost is a factor. Definitely no SUV's. Definitely has to be a euro performer. Thanks again to all!!!

-Manny in Cali
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I think you can find 3 series wagon, or a 5 series wagon. I found a 2001 525 wagon with about 40,000 miles and it looked quite clean and decently optioned. Still, it was hard to come across 5 series wagon that was comparatively priced.
    I saw an '03 325xiT ... all wheel drive wagon.. in our local paper for $29K asking...by a private seller. I think you could get into an '02 325iT for around $25K if you look hard.. An '01 325iT for that or less for sure... Probably even a CPO '01 for $25K. I think you have to give up on the idea of a 5-series, unless you are going back to an '00 528i. You might squeeze a 330i in for your budget, but not a really nice low-miler with a lot of options.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    mtv65... Think the 5 Series is out of your price range. Based on your circumstances, doubt you want something out of warranty or soon to be out of warranty.

Have you considered the Lexus IS300 SportCross? Is the IS300 station wagon. A rather rare car. Very high reliability. Quite practical for your child and dog. Does come only with 3.0L I6, RWD (with optional LSD and VSC), and 5-speed automatic. Lots of standard equipment (e.g., 6-disc CD). Saw a beautiful red one in my local Lexus dealer's showroom Saturday while having some routine service done on my IS300 sedan. An attractive, practical vehicle. You should be able to find a '02 or '03 at or near your price range. Even an '04 isn't too expensive (just avoid the full leather option pkg). Lexus has 4/60 b-to-b warranty plus 6/70 powertrain warranty. Lexus, unlike BMW, also sells warranty upgrades direct from manufacturer.
    Ditto... I should have thought of this.. Where is Wale-bate when you need him?

If you can find a Lexus CPO, it will have a full 3 year warranty.

Nice post, riez.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I know the 530i gets a lot out of the 3.0L I6. It seems to have decent specs. My experience with BMWs has been ( and this is from a few test drives, I am sure owners may feel otherwise) they would be ideal in a Grand Prix. They have the perfect gearing, amazing traction and engine chracteristics to claim the all-important 0-60 time. Personally, I find that afterwards, they are okay. They surely don't pull with the same urgency and I guess that is where a 530i will lack. 225bhp is 225 bhp. At some point it will show its weight and torque issues.

I want to get a 5 series. I am in the minority in thinking that the styling is striking. Love it. I think the reason why I love the styling is also due to the fact that I am not an E39 owner.

But I want more for my money. For $65 CAD, it needs more. Inside is fine, but 225 bhp simply isn't enough. Now I know that they must have a 535i up their sleeve. It seems logical considering that the E350 and the A^ have upwards of 250bhp.
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    SRFast,

I noticed that you have swapped out the stock rear swaybar for one used in the M5. Otherwise your suspension is stock (for a Sport model). What differences did you notice when you made the change?

Regards,
    Chris M
    Thanks Riez! IS300 never crossed my mind. We will take a look at one and see what the other half says. We looked at a couple of A4 Avants over the weekend and a few 3 series sport wagons - these seem to be right on target in terms of cost. Wife likes the Avants but I'm concerned about reliability (horror stories from Townhall Audi boards).

Mucho Gracias Amigos!!!!
    cmnott: You under estimate the 530i. The 530i offers the best balance of handling and power of the E39 5 series cars. I could have purchased a new 540i, M5, Porsche 911 or whatever, but I chose a 530i because I wanted the biggest bang for my USD. I drove a modded 1993 325i for 10 years and for me, the logical step up was an E39 530i.

chrism124: The M5 rear swaybar is thicker than the stock 5 series swaybar so it adds more stability to the rear of the car. I have adjustable sway bars on my race car and would have done that for the 530i, but the asking price for the E39 adjustable rear bar was IMHO out of line. For about $120 and 30 minutes of my time, I improved the handling of an already great handling car.

Hope this helps....JL
    I knew the rear swaybar would be thicker but I was wondering if it negatively impacted the handling or ride while keeping the stock sport springs, shocks & struts. I was looking at the Dinan unit, at $198, simply because I have already added the Dinan naturally aspirated system to my car already. Dinan is not the least expensive option but the warranty match to the existing factory version is important.

I would like your opinion on the S.S. brake linings. My local guy is pushing them. I understand the stock rubber units will flex some when pressure is applied. But if I don't track my car will I feel a difference in brake feel and/or response for street driving?

Do you like the Xenonmatch bulbs for your driving lights?

Regards,
    Chris

PS: BTW, thanks for your input on the Bluetooth system (roadfly website). Verizon will be introducing two models from Motorola in July. I plan on adding the system when the phone becomes available.
    The latest issue of Roundel (BMW CCA), June 2004, has an interesting Tech Talk question regarding upgrades to the E39 for less than $3,000. Mike Miller focuses on the suspension. He recommends H&R street springs, Bilstein HD shocks (if you keep the standard springs) or Bilstein Sport shocks (if you go with the H&R springs), and Dinan sway bars (27mm fr & 17mm rr), along with upgraded tires (e.g., Michelin Pilot Sports).
    BMW M5 bar was $104.00, so it was an easy choice for me. The adjustable bar is nice, but in most street driving situations, you set it once and don't change it again. The thicker rear bar does not adversely affect the ride of the car, i.e. make it harsher. The benefit of the thicker bar is evident in turns/curves when the weight of the car is shifted.

I had the SS brake lines installed because I am accustomed to having these lines on my cars. Since I was changing the the brake pads and had access to the calipers, I did it then. These are optional for street cars.

The Xenonmatch fog lamps are nice because they are "whiter" than the OEM bulbs which has a yellowish tint to them.

Hope this helps....JL
    I checked with Dinan, the price for the rear swaybar is $198 and the front being $304. However they didn't recommend swapping the rear unless upgraded to their Stage I suspension system. I didn't get a good answer as to why. But I may still pursue using it on my car.

Regards,
    Chris
    I received a small surprise this morning, when running late for an appointment, my car wouldn't start. Turn the key and click, click, click. Dead battery! Only 11k miles on the odometer and I drive it regularly. However it had been sitting for 3 days. No phones, radar detectors or other electronic devices were connected to the aux inputs.

I must give BMW Roadside assistance credit; they had a team out to my house within 20 minutes. Battery charged and ready to go. The car goes in next week to determine the problem.

Regards,
    Chris
    Dinan rep you spoke to can't read. Dinan's website list the prices you quoted in reverse. BTW, Dave Zeckhausen installed the Dinan rear bar with the stock front bar. He has no complaints.

Hope this helps...JL
    Dinan's website does list the rear swaybar at $304. However if you download their catalog the price is listed as $198. According to the rep, the website is incorrect.

Did Dave Z update his springs, shocks & struts? The rep indicated that I would need to do this before installing the rear swaybar (the front would remain stock).

Regards,
    Chris
    He only swapped the rear bars - using the stock 540i SP suspension.

Regards...JL
    The July 2004 issue of Automobile has a comparison test of the 530i, A6 3.2Q and E320. Each has automatic transmission. 530i had the Sport Package.

"the BMW 5-series actually needs Active Steering (AS) and Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) to evolve from a more generic sedan into something special. ... Without AS and ARS, the 530i is just a car. Even with these technologies, the 530i's looks and the iDrive system are an acquired taste, and it has the most compromised rear seat. But in terms of responsiveness and agility, a properly spec'd 5-series outshines the competition. The steering, ride and chassis balance are strong arguments for those who love to drive hard."

Is interesting how the E60 just doesn't inspire reviewers like the E39. Has the E60 won a major comparison test yet?
    True. It surely doesn't inspire as the previous E39, but I think that the competition has elevated its game immensely. The Benz is light years ahead of the previous, antiquated stodgy E class.

Was it the 2005 A6? If it is then it also shows that BMW has finally forced its rivals to raise their level of performance and handling dynamics. I am sure that once MB and Audi saw the looks of the E60, they must have thought that BMW finally gave them an opening and take advantage of that. Now, granted most of these cars were in the pieplines for many years however there could have been improvements meant to take advanatage of the destabilization of the midsize luxury class.

If it was a 2004 A6, that would be surprising. A big blow to BMW for sure.

Apparently, the 2005 S-type is supposed to be a huge improvement as far as driving experience as well...