Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• tam2ktam2k Posts: 16
    On Sat, I test drove a 525i 2002 32K miles, $32.8. It has premium and cold weather package. On the fact sheet on the window, it said that it had vinyl seats. I asked the dealer (not a BMW dealership) about this and got mixed answers so I'm not sure that I believed them at the end when they said "yes, it's leather not vinyl." Is it possible that this car could have vinyl seats?
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    seats were included as part of the Premium Package in 2003. Though this is a list of 2003 options, you might find it of some use: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- - 23155

Good luck....JL
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    According to the 2002 price list that I have, the Premium Package included the Montana Leather Upholstery. So, if it is a 2002 or 2003 E39, it most likely has leather. IIRC in 2001 the packages were a little different and the PP may not have included the Leather.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I hope they haven't disappointed you.

Regards...JL
    So far so good. ;-)

I just washed off the (unplanned for but never-the-less interesting) evidence of just how clean these pads keep your wheels. About 600 miles before I mounted the new pads, I washed/waxed my wheels to almost showroom condition only to see them completely covered in black dust on the first drive (New Hampshire to Long Island). During the change of the pads, I got several finger marks where I essentially wiped the 600 miles of accumulated dust off, and yesterday, after 2,000+ more miles without a wash, said finger marks showed just as clearly as they did when I first changed the pads!

Now that I have clean wheels again, it will be interesting to see how long they will stay clean.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,103
    But of course.... you should make sure it actually has the premium package before assuming it is also leather...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Shipo,

In addition, can you share a bit on the pads' feel, bite performance etc? One of the ironies of being a tinkerer and having several cars that I've done upgrades on (brakes, suspension etc) is that I am totally satisfied with the performance of the 5... either that, or the limits are higher than places I am comfortable going! In the 34K miles that I have had this car I have changed nothing, and am only looking at moving to a different tire because I want to see what else is out there.
    At this point, I have a little over 3,000 miles on the new pads, most of which has been tooling the roads between NH and the NYC area. Said traffic conditions have been such that I have ranged in speeds from 0-100+ and needless to say given the roads that I've been driving, there have been times where quick de-acceleration/full stops have been required due to cresting a hill at high speed only to find traffic stopped just ahead. Through it all, I have yet to feel any difference. I've been trying; it's just that these pads feel so close to the OEM pads that I simply cannot tell.

In the end, I like the new front pads so much that I'm probably going to pop for a new set of rears when my next assignment is over in early August. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    I have an 02 530 - Sport, Premium, CWP w/30K miles on it.

Before I bought the car I thought I read somewhere on here of this very strange thing that happened before to someone else.

It happened a year ago to me as I was pulling into my garage at 3-4MPH, and again yesterday as I was backing up at 2-3MPH. Basically - in both instances as I was applying light pressure to the brake, the car lurched forward (in the first instance) and lurched backward (in the second as I was in reverse). No kidding - it felt like someone jammed on the accelerator. Scared the you know what out of me.

Happened to anyone else, or anyone remember reading about this strange happening?

Thanks
    Thanks shipo and srfast. I'm now looking at the purchase of a 2001 525i Silver with sports package. It has 28K miles and the "retail price" is 35,600 but the internet special price is 30, 500! The car has a couple of noticeable dings about 1/2 the size of a dime on the door that probably can't be repaired. It is supposed to have a sport package yet it doesn't have the sport steering wheel or the sport seat. I'm going to try to find out if this was possible on a 2001. The car doesn't appear to have premium package though I need to research a bit what was included in a 2001 premium. It's a pretty plain car. I'm thinking of offering them $29K if I make an offer at all. Any opinions??? Thanks!
    search for an E39: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id- /2258

I am not sure about the sport seats, but I am sure the sport steering wheel was part of the SP.

Good luck...JL
  • mtv65mtv65 Posts: 45
    Take your time tam2k! My wife and I are about to pick up a 2001 530i with the Sport Premium pkg for $27k (private). Ran the vin# thru Carfax although I question it's validity and called the dealership that the car was purchased from for maintenance records and all seem to check out ok. As I recall, there are quite a bit of good deals at your side of the pond. Make sure you do the pre-purchase inspection which could possibly offset the selling price depending on what they find. Check autotrader, cars.com, carsdirect, local papers.....

Here's an example of a low mileage 530i CPO in Conn -http://used-cars.autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/detail/index.html?cid=- a573cd66bb9c44b8e18503a71864310b

Good Luck!!
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Run a CarFax. Have an independent mechanic look at it. The original selling dealer may still have info on file showing what was original and optional equipment on the specific car. Use the VIN #. If dealer doesn't, try BMW NA. Contact the primary servicing dealer to see the service, repair, and maintenance history.

Thinking the Sport steering wheel was standard and mandatory for MY01 Sport Pkg. But the Sport Seats could be exchanged for optional Comfort Seats. The Sport Seats are to be much preferred. The Comfort Seats are expensive pieces of garbage! [Unfortunately, my '98 540i6 had the optional Comfort Seats.]
    Hi Mtv65. How many miles does the car have that you're buying? The cars that I'm looking at are all at BMW dealerships or dealerships that specialize in BMW or luxury cars.
    The car has ~40k miles so 10k left on the manuf warr or June '05. I've noticed cars that were advertised with a lower price a month ago going for more now (same dealership/same car/~3k more than original asking price). What gives? My only conclusion is that people are so turned off with the new body style that they would rather have a preowned E39 for less money. Not sure if the link I posted above worked but here it is again -Fully loaded 01 530i with 24k miles
    Thanks for the link. I decided against the Silver 525i. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a Sports Package. It wasn't even a premium package car. I didn't have a good feeling about that dealership anyway so I'm moving on from them.

I have a car that I saw tonight which seems promising. It's a 525i 2001 Steel Blue with premium package and tan interior. It has 33.7K miles and the sticker price is $31.85. It seems very similar to another car though that I saw at another local Atlanta dealership a couple of weeks ago. That car was sold at auction last Wed. The salesperson at the other dealership told me that he had to send it back to service so I never drove it or got the VIN #.

When I look at the CARFax, this car was sold at auction in April of 04 in GA. Somehow it is still in the system 3 months later. It makes me wonder about the car. It was serviced based on Carfax at 26K miles in 10/03 and had front brake rotors replaced and blower motor resistor replace. Does anyone know what the blower motor is?

Any thoughts for concern? I'm going to negotiate to have it examined independently before I purchase. I did notice a louder sound of the car than what I've heard with other cars that I've test driven. It also didn't drive as smoothly.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,103
    These seem like pretty stiff prices for '01 525i's... I see '00 528i's going for about $25K with miles in the low 40s. I can't see paying over $30K for a lower powered '01 525i, unless it had every single option, miles under 20K, and looked like it was still in the wrapper.

I understand that they may have 6 months to a year of warranty left, but that seems way too stiff a price. You could buy an '03 525i last fall, brand new, for around $39K-$40K.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• For the new 5 series, BMW got this idea that they should add humidity in the air conditioner because otherwise it tends to dry the air out. Well this may make sense in some climates but where I live in Texas, it is too humid already! I've test driven several BMW 5 series models on different days and in each case the A/C was damp and clammy and I felt very uncomfortable in the car. What a shame, because in other respects it is a marvelous vehicle. I can afford to buy one but until they fix this problem, I'll pass.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    How can you add humidity? Adding humidity would require water or outside air which to me defeats the purpose of a/c drying out the air?
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    I have read on C&D forums of a new 3.0L I6 for the 630i, good for 258bhp and 221 lb.ft. I think this will make the 530i sportier, although the torque figures still pale in comparison to the E350. I think this engine will definitely make better use of what it has to offer.
    ...we saw another 530i with the Sport Premium pkg over the weekend for an even better deal than the original car that we were looking at. Can you run a vin# for me since my 1month membership expired already? The VIN number is WBADT63411CF01778. Thanks in advance!! The car is Silver Green (anybody know what the official name is?) with the Beige interior. Not my first choice or even my second but the wife seemed to like it....it's primarily her car so it's her call =). It's got just over 50k miles on it but CPO'd unlike the other one we looked at. We got the deal down to ~$26.5k with a 2.9% int rate for 60mos.

Not sure what to make of the market though. It may be different on your side that here out west. The E60 may be gaining some buyers but as I mentioned on my previous message, the E39 530i may be holding a premium since I've noticed a spike on some asking prices.

Go figure! Thanks again in advance for the VIN check!!

p.s. Were you able to shop around at all this past weekend?!?
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    From Whispering Magazine (LA Chapter of the BMW CCA):

BMW Total US sales (Jan-Apr): 2004-87,987....2003-86,549

Only Lexus is selling better at 88,947.

A sampling by model:

330i: 2004-8,340 .... 2003-9,566
    5-Series: 2004-14,734 .... 2003-14,077
    7-Series: 2004-5,528 .... 2003-6,385
    X5: 2004-9,272 ....2003-11,028

Article also says Consumer Reports rates the 7-series as worst ever tested. CR had rated E39 as best ever tested.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    pen101... Are these numbers just for BMW only? Or do they include MINI?

Looks like the X3 is where all the action is. 3 and 7 Series down. X5 down. 5 Series stagnant, which can't bode well for the beginning of a complete redesign.
    MTV,

I ran a carfax. It is ok for everything...no accidents, odometer is fine, etc. It has had one owner in CA and was sold at auction with 55,064 miles reported on 6/9. Any other info you need?

The other car was indeed the same car. I called the 1st dealer who had the car and they said that they sold it because the car had electrical issues that they couldn't resolve.

I'm going to look at a 2003 525i tonight. It is Steel Blue with sport, premium, and cold weather packages. It has 11,850 miles. They are asking $40,850. Do you all think $35,000 is a reasonable offer for this type of car?

I think the prices in Atlanta must be inflated compared to other places!
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    Last summer in the Boston area the 525s were going for $37K new so $35K is realistic.
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    Riez, I just picked a few models. Total BMW sales for Jan - Apr also include Mini and Rolls Royce. Here is more (but not all of the models):

325i: 2004 - 23,316 .... 2003 - 24,925
    M3: 2004 - 2,710 .... 2003 - 2,793
    6-series: 2004 - 1,798 .... 2003 - 0
    Z4: 2004 - 4,109 .... 2003 - 6,181
    X3: 2004 - 6,706 . 2003 - 0
    Mini Cooper: 2004 - 6,022 .... 6,371
    Mini Cooper S: 2004 - 5,539 .... 2003 - 4,933
    Rolls Royce: 2004 - 37 .... 2003 - 36

Did you know.... Automobile Magazine Readers Choice Awards for best in category went to the following BMWs:

Best Small SUV: X3
    Best Small Car: MINI Cooper S
    Best Luxury under 40,000: 3-series

But....

Best Sports Sedan: Cadillac CTS V (replacing BMW)
    Best Luxury over 40,000: Audi 8L (replacing BMW)

Also, BMW spent $15,430,200 in first 4 months of 2004, or $177 per car sold. Much less than GM or Ford.

Also Dinan Engineering is introducing new 621 hp E39 M5.

Finally, on a personal note, I signed up for BMWs Drive for breast cancer promotion. I called first day I received an invite to reserve a car, but 530, 545 and 645 were already taken. Signed up for 330i stick and 745.
    2001 530i with Sport Premium...55k miles...$26k...CPO'd...financed at 2.9%...

More pics

Decided to sell the M3 as well....bought a 328i Sport pkg with less miles (project car).
    Congrats MTV65. The pics show a very nice car and you bought at a good price which makes it better! What part of CA are you in? I'm surprised that the prices are so much better there than in the Atlanta area. Could you tell me what the sticker price for that car was?

The '03 that I saw today isn't CPO'd and warranty will run out Dec. 2006. Also, sport package isn't a necessity for me and I don't want to pay extra for something that I don't have to have.

I have another '03 that I'm going to review. It has 11,600 miles w/premium package. Asking price is $38.500. It is CPO'd too so it has about 4 1/2 years of warranty on it.
    Thanks again tam2k for the carfax! About the 03 525i with 12k miles (that's a nice color by the way), according to Edmunds...$35k should be a fair price (private sale). This is a buyer's market. Take your time and stay firm. I've forgotten what your baseline budget was but I do know that there are quite a bit of good deals out there even at the dealers (rule of thumb: dealers on average mark their cars up-10% more than the market-to make you feel as if you're getting a good deal once they bring it down 10%-where it should've been to begin with. So shoot for Edmund's pricing between private and retail. This all depends on whether the car is in demand or not. Perfect example is the MINI - this is the only car I've seen appreciate...Sheeeesh, an 03 Mini CooperS with 45k miles selling for $23k.

Anyways, go to BMWUSA.COM and look thru their CPO inventory. Remember the 10% rule - asking price minus 10% minus another 5% for a fair price (Just my opinion).
    We must've posted at the same time =). We are in Northern California but bought the car at the Central Coast (Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara).

The price on the window was $33.5 when we drove up. I later found out on BMWNA's preowned inventory that the asking price was $30.9. The salesperson apparently knew that I've researched the 530i quite intensively. I told him about the private seller (half an hour from dealership) and his asking price so that gave them something to shoot for. I asked if they had a birthday special since it was my wife's birthday that day =). It took quite a while to get them down to $26k. We actually walked away twice since we were both extremely hungry and was running late for a beach party at Avila Beach. Anyways, they came running after us and made a final offer of $26k CPO'd financed thru BMW FS at 2.9% with a bright red 'Happy Birthday!' at the bottom. Needless to say, we missed the party!!