Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• Options
    beynacbeynac Member Posts: 1
    Why have you aranged things such that it is now quite hard to find your message board?
  • Options
    dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Sometime ago I posted messages concerning how much I was enjoying my new bimmer. Six months later I must say that I'm enyoying it even more. Am thoroughly enjoying reading the posts submitted here. They have really gotten interesting and just crammed with useful info
    concerning these great cars. I often go into other areas for postings on different cars, but they
    don't even compare to this venue. Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    rx2000rx2000 Member Posts: 11
    I just pick up the 523i with most of the options available. The 523i is assembled in Thailand with CKD (Complete Knock Down) parts from Germany. The price that I paid is equivalent to US$73,000. The high price is mainly due to tax (I really envy you guy in US). I do get 25% down with 0% interest for 2 years, first year insurance, and full BOW maintenance program for 3 years.

Here is brief detail of the my 523i.
    Model: 523i Executive Limited Edition
    Color: Ex. Steel Grey (400), I believe this is a brand new color for the 5
    Color: int. Grey Montana leather
    Xenon head light w/ washer and auto leveling
    Climate comfort windshield
    Auto dimming int/ext mirror
    Alarm system
    6 CD in trunk
    Three spoke steering wheel with wood trim
    Vavona wood
    White turn signal all around
    DSC III
    DBC
    Rear auto sunshade and manual side shade
    Remote control key
    Parallel spoke 82 alloy wheel
    10 airbags
    16 ways adj. seat for front seats
    Rain sensing wiper
    Front and rear PDC
    Auto fold ext. mirror
    Round fog lamp.
    and etc.

Will write more once I drive it enough. So far, I only drive it for 40 km.
  • Options
    fastewafastewa Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me when the 5 series makes its next body style change?
  • Options
    cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I did an experiment with the A/C on Friday. I parked my car in the shade of a tree(which I hate to do because of the birds) in 90+ degree weather. The A/C worked beautifully from the get-go. I just think the system is overwhelmed after sitting in the sun all day. Have you found out anything new?
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    You might also want to get a BMW windshield sunscreen and leave the sunroof in the vented position. Finally, use the remote to drop all the windows as you approach and you should find the problem solved.
  • Options
    monwenmonwen Member Posts: 14
    The 5er will probably arrive in early 2003. The best info so far is on www.bmw2002.co.uk; however, the July issue of Road & Track says it will be in 2004.
  • Options
    brian525brian525 Member Posts: 21
    I have had my 2001 525i now for near six months.

Just this past weekend, my fiance and I took a day trip (we live in the SF Bay area) along the Calif coast, from Half Moon Bay down to Big Sur.... Let me tell you, this car handles like a dream!

So smooth along the mountain curves, and also smooth acceleration on the straights (to pass the slower vehicles.. :)

Anyway, if you're thinking of a 5-series, stop thinking.. go drive one and you'll know what I'm talking about!

-- regards,
  • Options
    brian525brian525 Member Posts: 21
    errr... I meant FIANCEE !
  • Options
    cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    Thanks for your suggestions. I do use the BMW windshield sunscreen along with the rear sunshades. I also open all the windows too as I approach the car. I will try your idea of leaving the sunroof tilted.
  • Options
    akuma1akuma1 Member Posts: 37
    Can it be done when I order my car?
  • Options
    dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Yes,dabimmer Knows. I,too, live in the Bay Area and took the car down
    to LA on 101. It was quite a driving experience and we arrived 7.5 hours
    later completely refreshed and rested and immediately left the motel
    to tour and enjoy. The trip back was equally satisfying. Am hoping to
    take the Highway 1 trip you talk about soon, should be fun.
  • Options
    jls21jls21 Member Posts: 40
    I went onto the 3 series board to ask if 3 series owners were having similiar air conditioning complaints. I got one response from someone who suggested having the dealer program the key for "hot country" ventilation mode. I haven't called my dealer yet to ask what this means, but I intend to tomorrow. I'll let you know of any response that I get. Is the front windshield sunscreen cumbersome to use? Also, do either of you know if the rear sunscreen can be installed by the dealer, or is it only available from the factory. I guess I can ask the dealer that question as well. My solution for today was all windows and sunroof open with air on for about 10 minutes, then air was nice and cool. This car is just way too much fun to be causing me this grief. Have to find a solution.
  • Options
    dawgneckdawgneck Member Posts: 4
    The last time I posted, I was debating between the GS430, the E430 and the 540i. After test driving the GS and 540i for appx a year (my wife and I quickly discounted the MBZ - sorry to those who stated otherwise, but we don't think it compares), I purchased a 99 540i with high mileage (45k).

I cannot believe I considered the other vehicles. The more I drive the 540i, the more I appreciate and agree with all I read about its handling, etc. The drive is incredible! Have you ever regretted a purchasing decision a few months into ownership? Well, that would have been me had I purchased one of the other vehicles. Aside from the high mileage, I'm happy with this purchase.

I drove the vehicle from Los Angles to San Francisco this weekend. The drive confirmed my decision. The car is awesome. I can state I am now a BMW fanatic! I know most of you will laugh at this, but my wife had the insight on the 540i way before I did. I will keep the car for a few years then trade it in for a new 5er.

I have a few questions: The AC works great, and it is very powerful, but I am getting a "urine" like smell when the AC is turned off. The dealer said it was a bacteria and suggested a spray that might help, but it didn't. Any other remedies?

Second, is the electric fan supposed to run very high the majority of the time?

Third, I have the sport model with larger wheels in the rear. Can I rotate the left front wheel with the right front wheel?

Lastly, can anyone suggest a reasonable cellular company I can use with the BMW phone? I hate the thought of high cell bills but I want to use the telephone features built into the car.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Regarding tire rotation, I was informed on another post that the BMW owner's manual recommends against any tire rotation even if you have the same size front and rear tires (i.e. 530i sport).

It has always been my understanding that tire rotation left to right is an absolute no-no - it would result in reversing the direction of tire rotation and most high performance tires have uni-directional tread patterns. I think there are other reasons, as well.

The bad news is that you may have to budget about $1,200+/- for replacement tires about every 12,000 to 20,000 miles. The good news is you've got a great car and it's worth it.
  • Options
    The sunscreen is easy to use- unfold it, put it in the window, and flip down the visors to hold it in place.
  • Options
    Because of price concern my mom has now shifted focus onto the 530 and the C320. Yes I am aware of the price difference and even the size difference and probably shouldn't be comparing the two but hey money always factors in right?

Prestige is a factor in our decisions. We're not thinking too much of the 330 mainly because a lot of young boys and girls drive it right now. Anyways, the thing we like about the C320 mostly comes to price.

Besides your suggestions I would like to know how much roomier the 5 will be compared to the C and in terms of build quality and luxury.
  • Options
    dawgneckdawgneck Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply, Habitat1. I read about the rotation in the manual. I was thinking about having the tires removed from the front wheels, transferred to the opposite side then rebalanced. This will ensure the tires roll in the same direction. Call me cheap, but I want to get the most out of those expensive tires.
  • Options
    jls21jls21 Member Posts: 40
    Regarding the 530 vs. MB C320. I have experience with both. I have a 530, both my father and father-in-law have a C320. I would have considered the C320, also because of price, but once I established that I could afford the 530 equipped the way I wanted it, it was an easy decision for me. The 530, in my opinion, is much better looking car. It has a very balanced look on the exterior; the dimensions are just right. To me, both the C320 and BMW 3 series look too small on the outside - like the smaller version of what the real car is. They just don't look well balanced to me - like something is missing. Regarding the interior, when I sit in the driver's seat of the C320, I feel like the front windshield is crowding me. And as far as rear seat accomodations go, while the 530 is no limo, the C320 is tighter. They both drive very nicely, and both handle quite well, but while the engine noise of the C320 is quiet and subdued, the engine noise of the 530 is one of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had. It's really a personal choice - you can't go wrong with either car.
  • Options
    I agree with you completely if my memor serves me right. I went to the the BMW dealership again to look at the 5series car again. I was hoping to get a test drive but the guy who served me before wasn't there. Anyways as I remembered the C windows to the side did crowd me a bit and I'm a very average sized or even small. I prefer the 5. I just got to convince the others. The fact that a new styling will roll out in a year or so bugs me a lot. Since I like the new 7's look I'm thinking I'll like the new 5. I think waiting for the 2002 year model is as long as a wait as we will go I fear.
  • Options
    rx2000rx2000 Member Posts: 11
    When is the first oil/filter change for a new 528i?
  • Options
    grendel42grendel42 Member Posts: 1
    hello,

ive heard somw rumors about a 545 for 02? anyone know about this. and ive also heard that the 540i will get an 8hp upgrade instead. anyone know about this too? and ive also heard that there will be no gas guzzler on the 02 540i. ive test driven a 540...loved it. just trying to get a feel for whats going to change, if anything. thanks.
  • Options
    davipardavipar Member Posts: 3
    I have a new 530i with sport package and really like it but the A/C condensate drains out onto the exhaust pipe and makes a crackling/sizzling sound. Its only noticeable when I come to a stop. I checked with the dealer and they said that it is normal for a 530, but 525's don't drain that way. It doesn't really bother me but seems kind of strange to have the water constanting hitting the hot exhaust pipes? Over time wouldn't cause the pipes to rust/corrode? Has anyone else experienced this situation.
  • Options
    himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    BMW
    Calendar year: 2002
    Mini debuts;
    possible X7

5 series redesign;
    possible 6 series; X3

Possible 2 series
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    It would be likely that that will replace the 540. The engine is actually the same size ( it's been 4.4L for several years ) but the hp should be boosted to 333, and the MPG will improve.

dave
  • Options
    unjuunju Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 540 6spd...the car is a dream in every way except the xenon head lamps which illuminate unevenly. the passenger side lamp illuminates much farther than does the driver side lamp. this difference isn't very noticeable when driving in lighted streets or freeways; however, we live in an area without street lights (to "preserve our desert environment"). so when the headlights are the only things illuminating our path, it becomes very annoying to have one lamp illuminate differently than the other.
    I've spoken to the dealer about this and all he could tell me is that the the xenon lamps are self leveling and that they were designed to illuminate differently. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS, AND CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY IT WAS DESIGNED THIS WAY? We also have an AUDI TT with self leveling xenon that illuminate evenly and effectively, so I don't see the logic behind this offset design on the BMW.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • Options
    When I was recently looking at BMW's comparison of HID vs. Halogen I noticed that from the overhead view the right sided was illuminating further than the left i'm not sure if it was designed this way but it looks kind of annoying.
  • Options
    cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    Are you sure you are not confusing the noticeable "notch" down the drivers side lights have on a very dark road.

As you may know, this is to keep the light out of oncoming drivers eyes in the left lane on U.S. roads. The xenons are self-leveling and should generally not be adjusted by drivers.

Overall, the increased brightness and targeted lighting more than make up for this minor adjustment designed to keep oncoming cars safer.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, Ah ha, so its to keep the light out of the oncoming drivers eyes, i didn't know that.
  • Options
    chesdin3chesdin3 Member Posts: 14
    With these long days of summer, I haven't driven much in the dark yet, but the self-leveling is a neat feature. Do you have to have the Xenons to get this feature?
  • Options
    cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    I believe that only the optional xenons are self-leveling.
  • Options
    dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Infinitimn, I took your advise and call BMWNA,they were able to take off two grands off the residual and offer me 7.5% apr financing too. Thanks so much for your help!
  • Options
    sandiegocruisnsandiegocruisn Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just bought a 1998 528i. It has a navigation system (which I haven't had a chance to use much yet) and an integrated cell phone.
    The phone is an older model analog phone (I believe it's a Motorolla model). I like the fact that I can have hands free operation and that the phone is completely integrated with the on-board computer/monitor as well as the steering wheel.
    Are there more technologically advanced phones (like a dual mode analog/digital or tri-mode analog/digital/pcs) which are compatible with the BMW system?
    I've asked a couple of installers and they basically said that BMW's are set up with analog phones because that's what they have in Germany (I don't know if this is true or not). They said I would be better off trying to get an after-market hand's free system. Like one that plugs into the cigarette lighter and provides a speaker and microphone and holds the phone.
    Can anyone help me figure out what my options are here? Thanks for any help

P.S. The phone sounds a VERY LOUD tone when I start up the car. Is there a way to turn the sound down a little bit?
  • Options
    jaytucker77jaytucker77 Member Posts: 2
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 1995 BMW 540i sport, 6sp manual, loaded, every available option. It is Brtish racing green with saddle interior, it has had two owners that were very fastidious and kept terrific records. The car has 149,000 miles on it but if you couldn't see the odometer you would think it had about 30,000. this car is perfect. In fact it sounds too good to be true, the asking price is $9900, The book value after mileage deduction is around $18,000. I want to know if there are any inherent problems that these vehicles are prone to after a certain mileage? the susp., brakes, tires, and clutch, were all replaced at the dealer within 30,000 miles. Tires are new Michelins, I do intend to pull a carfax report, however I can find nothing wrong with this car. I would like to hear some high mileage experiences from 540i owners. Thank you!
  • Options
    The new cellphone is a Motorola StarTac cpt8000 .. it is a DIGITAL phone and is integrated as your phone is.
  • Options
    bdelaney3bdelaney3 Member Posts: 1
    I am happy to say and to drive a 2000 528. After owning a 97 "five" I had no problem with going to the 2000 with the sport package. However, my only complaint is the "Conti" tires! Noisy! After 12 to 15K miles its getting bad. Any simular experiencies , remedies, or recommended replacement tires????
  • Options
    spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    I was considering the Dunlops SP5000, Kumho's ECSTA 712, and the BF Goodrich KDW for my '98 5er with Sport package. Right now I have the Dunlops on my other car ('98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T). I put them on my spyder about 8000 miles ago and absolutely love them. They handle extremely well and they are very quite thus far. The size I need for my 5er is 235 45 17's. The price is not really a big factor. Dunlop's is $128, Kumho's $100, and BFG's are $145 not including balance, valve stems, etc. I have not made up my mind yet but when I do I will post. I have heard some good thing about the Kumho's and for the price I guess you cann't go wrong. I know the Dunlops first hand and like them a lot.
  • Options
    Read this
    :http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/v8shortblock.htm

That car is waaaay too cheap. I'd have it THOROUGHLY inspected by a good BMW tech. If it still checks out and you can get it for under $10K- well, you hit the lottery.
  • Options
    dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Please do post once you decided what brand of tires to go. My wife's 528i sports pkg probably needs tires in the next 6 mths too. I was thinking the Dunlops were a little noisy when they are just a little off balance. I have Bridgestone on my 325I(2001), they seem a little more quite. Where is Kumho made in? Korea?
    Dan
  • Options
    go5033go5033 Member Posts: 1
    I like the styling for the 94 or 95 525i. Is this a good year to buy based on performance and reliability. Also, I noticed that the best prices for these cars on the internet come out of Florida and Texas. Is there a reason for this?
  • Options
    I also have a new 530i & noticed the noise and dripping when I turn the car off. I wonder if it will cause the exhaust pipe to rust/corrode in the long run.
  • Options
    Hey guys I'm inching closer to making a decision. We finally did a little test drive today. Basically my mom drove. We test drove a 530 w/o sports package and a 540 w/AG sports pkg. Results?

She felt the 530 was underpowered and the 540 was definately better. I'm so proud of her I didn't know she would be that appreciative of a fine car. She is not buying a Bimmer w/o the sports package.

The only problem for us is the price of the 540. They're only willing to take off $2500CDN off MSRP which is far too little don't ya think?
  • Options
    joe_jensenjoe_jensen Member Posts: 27
    I would like to trade a Region #2 2000.2 for a Region #1 2000.1 or newer. Please email joe.jensen@intel.com
  • Options
    pwaipwai Member Posts: 1
    We are considering purchasing an '01 530i with the NAV. Could someone please comment on it? I've heard that the BMW NAV is inferior to both Mercedes and Lexus'. I tried the one on the GS300 and it seemed easier to use than the one in the 5 series. Before spending $2000 on it I would like to hear others' experience, such as: ease of use, problems, accuracy, etc.

I test drove a friend's new M3 today. Is the NAV in the M3 the same one as in the 530i?
  • Options
    MGySgtMGySgt Member Posts: 5
    I plan on going to Germany this Fall and picking up a new BMW by way of European Delivery. (I retired from the USMC last year and now have a real job advising the Swiss Air Force). I'm leaning toward a 525 to replace our '94 T'Bird but the wife wants a 330xi. Any comments? I also plan on leasing the car. I noticed that "dantlo" in post #932 was giving thanks to "Infinitimn" for some lease info. If you could help me out with similar info, it would be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi to all Marines, friends of Marines and to our brothers and sisters-in-arms in the other Armed Forces.
  • Options
    drisudrisu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 BMW 540i with 18,000 miles on it. While in the service shop for some minor maintenance, they told me that all 4 rims are dented and need to be replaced (at a cost of $645 each). They said this is a common problem due to potholes and other pitfalls of driving the streets of Chicago. Has anyone else had this problem and shouldn't BMW pay for these if dented rims are so very common?
  • Options
    jaytucker77jaytucker77 Member Posts: 2
    Are there any tell tale signs of the compression loss other than the shaking? This car doesn't shake, nor does it hesitate. Do you know of any good honest bmw techs in the greater boston area?
  • Options
    avl2001avl2001 Member Posts: 4
    Some time ago someone posted a message about whistling noise in their 2000’528iA at the speed of 80Mph when the gas pedal was lightly pressed. The message author was advised to check his car and some time later he said that the car was diagnosed.

I too have the same problem in my 2000’528iA. The noise appears at speeds between 75-80Mph only when the gas pedal is lightly pressed. If I release the pedal or press it harder, the noise goes away. The noise doesn’t appear at any other speed and it doesn’t affect the performance of the car in any way.

I scheduled a service appointment to have the problem fixed; however, the caveat is that I had already taken the car to service before I saw the aforementioned post and sure enough they hadn’t found anything wrong with the car. This time though I mentioned to them that somebody else had had such a problem and that it had been fixed. They said it would be useful if I could find out what exactly had been fixed. So, I’m wondering if somebody had this problem, if it was fixed, and if so then what exactly was fixed.

Thanks in advance.
    K.
  • Options
    shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    check out www.fixrim.com they fixed a rim for me cost was 125.00 looked great rim looked like a pretzel when I bought it in looked great the next day.they have several locations
  • Options
    eric311eric311 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know when BMW is planning to redesign the 5 series. I just saw some posts that the new 7 is coming out. I also saw an article in one of the car magazines that BMW is planning to start a 6 series to replce the old 8. Has anyone heard anything?