Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Replacing the doors sounds better than fixing them.. either way, they get complete re-paints.. My car had both passenger doors replaced before I bought it, and they are indistinguishable from original.

Worry more about the paint job..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Just read a really interesting article in Fortune about BMW. It talks a lot about them entering the "lower" market and building a...gulp...minivan! It also talks about the new designs, and the public's reaction to them. After reading it I really wonder what impact the 1 series will have on 3 series sales. Sounds like BMW really wants to grow quickly. The other interesting thing is that they talk about the hydrogen car BMW just demo-ed at the Paris Car Show.
  • rnarala12rnarala12 Member Posts: 3
    kyfdx, its a 2003 model. The reason is I am relocating to a different country where I can't take the car. Thanks for the link.
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    I recently received a letter to extend the LoJack warranty on my 2003 E39 to as long as I own the vehicle. The cost is $99. Any thoughts?
  • klauslawklauslaw Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody feel the active steering on 2004 545i is terrible and dangerous. I fell like I am fighting the car when i try to turn. Further, it seems like it cant handle ruts in the road. It does not know what to do and wants to pull the car off the road.

Please respond

Thanks
    Does anybody feel the active steering on 2004 545i is terrible and dangerous. I fell like I am fighting the car when i try to turn. Further, it seems like it cant handle ruts in the road. It does not know what to do and wants to pull the car off the road.

Please respond

Thanks
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I test drove the 5 with active steering and didn’t like it. "Dangerous" does not seem outside the realm of what I would describe it. I can’t believe engineering would overlook the safety implications of such a critical component but errors are errors nonetheless. What doesn’t sit well with me is that there is significant computer dependency and it is also digitally linked to the stability control system. I would guess that there is a “fail-safe” default that reverts to pure mechanical control in the event of computer failure but this is only speculation. In any event I’d be very concerned with this—get it into service quickly—it doesn’t sound right.

Also, if you don’t mind, please describe the symptoms you are experiencing in more detail. I can’t help but wonder if there is a defect or if you just don’t like the characteristics of the steering. But again, I wouldn’t mess with this and would get it straight into service and insist on testing another car to compare.
    it feels like I struggle w/the car every time I turn. It almost feels like manual steering. Like i previously stated it also feels like it tries to run off the road if the roadway is not level. It seems to me the computer does not know how to handle defects in the road. On the highway it seems Ok, but it still fights w/me on turns. will bring car in.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I just want to say I have had a '91 & '95 Legend as well as a '99 528 and currently a '03 530 for background. So I went to test drive a new RL to see how close they have come to a 5-series. Here are my observations:

1) Interior is very nice with superb seating. Materials quality is inching ever so close to BMW.
    2) Ride was firmer than previous Acuras I have owned and quite similar to my 530 with normal suspension.
    3) Power was more than a 530 for sure but felt a little longer to respond probably because of heavier weight in spite of more torque.
    4) I could feel the power in the front wheels through the steering wheel. Not torque steer at all but it gave the steering a little lighter weight than the 530. The 4-wheel drive was unobtrusive in normal driving but I did not push it in my test drive.
    5) The takeup on abrupt bumps seemed to be less forgiving than on the BMW.
    6) On very rough surfaces I feel the BMW wins.
    7) Throttle off response is not as smooth as the BMW. Now this might go away as the car breaks in.
    8) Brakes feel on par.
    9) Seating position is excellent with nice cockpit feel as the BMW.
    10)Engine sounds are a bit louder and more guttural than a BMW. I still think a BMW six is a winner.
    11)If you have to have all the toys - an Acura might be $3-5K less than a 530, so there is a BMW premium.

I did enjoy getting back in the 530 though...
    A lot to say for a design that is 8 years before the RL.
    I think that something must be wrong. I have an 04 545 with active steering and I certainly don't feel like it is dangerous to drive. It also doesn't try to run off the road on rough surfaces or fight me on turns. In fact, the only thing I really found I had to get used to was turning at very slow speeds (like into a parking spot). Then it turned more quickly than I expected (felt like a 90 degree turn). Now I'm used to that too. I don't have any of the same problems with mine as you seem to be having so I would think something is wrong and it's sound advice to bring it in to get looked at.
    Rich, ddes car feel extremely bumpy on rough roads?
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    While I haven't tried active steering, I've read up on it quite a bit, but "can't handle ruts" and "pulling car off the road" have not been noted.

However, it occurs to me that perhaps you are experiencing the effects of the Sport Package suspension and tires (I'm assuming you tested an '04, rather than an '05 that may of had Active Steering apart from the Sport Package). Certain tires, frequently performance tires, may exhibit the phenomenom known as "tram-lining", i.e., a tendency for the tires to follow certain imperfections in the road (such as ruts), and transmit this back to the driver. I've experienced this myself in the 3-series we used to own, and it can sort of feel like the car is "pulling you off the road".

As far as "extremely bumpy on rough roads", the sport suspension will inevitably result in a somewhat harsher ride on rough roads (after all, the suspension is stiffer, by design). So depending on what else you may have tried, as SP-equipped 5 might feel like you've described.

While I've been shouted down on this before, try a non-SP 5-series, which I think is still plenty sporty, but has less performance-oriented, all-season tires, and more compliant suspension.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    For an upcoming article, one of our editors is looking to correspond with women executives about what they drive – or wish they did – and why. If you’ve got an opinion, please email Joanne Helperin, using “execs” in the subject line, at jhelperin@edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

It feels like it has tight suspension because it has the sport package, but I wouldn't say it's "extremely" bumpy on rough roads. I had a 330xi with sport package before it and it was just bumpy. Is there any way you could go to the dealer and test drive another car? Then you could compare the ride your's offers to another car.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    I come in here periodically to thank you all for your participation and information. This is one of the best forums in Edmunds. My 5er is a seriously great car, have just gone over 23600 miles and it continues to shine, it is a wonderful car. I still have the Michelin Pilot Primacy tires that came with the car. They have been very outstanding tires, even though they get some low marks in Tire Rack from owners. I have been very satisfied with them but when it comes time to replace them will try another tire.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Member Posts: 165
    Didn't get a chance to remark about the engine and suspension. This car is so stable at high speeds you could drive at sustained high speeds all day if you didn't have to look in the rear view mirror for the local gendarmes. My acceleration away from stop lights is so great that I don't miss not having the V-8 from the 540, but most likely if I had it I would enjoy that car,also. BMW cannot be beat !
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Interesting article in Roundel on the V10 Powered E60 M5 (ARGH, ARGH, ARGH). BMW opted not to put active steering on the new M5. Hmm.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I know this is the 5 series board, but I figured people would have interest in this. On BMW's Owner's Circle website they now have official pictures and video of the 06 3 series. I think it looks great, but the anti-Bangles out there might not (especially the dash).
  • mtv65mtv65 Member Posts: 45
    01 530i with Sport 235/45R17's......

Fuzion ZRi or Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S.

I'd like to take a quick poll for those who have experience on either of these tires. First of all, it's my wife's so comfort(quiet) is on the top of her list. I do drive it occasionally, so performance would be second and finally longevity. Price range less than $150.

If there are other tires that I should consider, do let me know.

TIA!!
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    Somebody once published pictures of the Head Up Display in operation and I seem to recall it was on this forum. If so, could you re-post them? Based on those pictures, I got HUD on the 2005 545 I just picked up and I want to show them to someone else who is interested.

Thanks
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    “Interesting article in Roundel on the V10 Powered E60 M5 (ARGH, ARGH, ARGH). BMW opted not to put active steering on the new M5. Hmm.”

This from Autoweek:

“BMW decided the extra gear required of the active system would diminish road feel. We’re not sure what that says about all the 5 and 6 Series cars on the road, or BMW’s respect for their drivers.”

They're not sure but I am. It says active steering is poorly conceived and frivolous. How they ever put it with the sport package is unbelievable. Actually, it is believable, it’s called squeeze as much money as possible from customer.

Here Cassidy, try this. They look Photoshopped but it’s a starting point. Not sure how photogenic HUD is… even the pics on BMW’s site look Photoshopped:

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3243
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I am having Goodyear F1's mounted this evening on my 2002 530i Sport Package. My second choice was Michelin Pilots PS2's.
  • sanand5sanand5 Member Posts: 33
    I am really dissatisfied with the sound quality of the factory audio system in my car. It has always had too much treble and has never been very clear (with both CDs and FM). I noticed just how bad it was when I recently purchased a Honda Odyssey and listened to an amazing sounding stock audio system (with XM radio)

I am considering upgrading to a Clarion system with satellite radio (25 watts / ch, .05% THD). The installer (highly recommended in this area and not a Best Buy or Circuit City) states it should be much better than my current system (he also recommends leaving my stock speakers in place). Total cost of about $1000. Has anyone upgraded the stock system and how much of a difference does it make?
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    I haven't upgraded the stock system in my '02 530, but have found that while the "antenna-in-the-glass" is a much more elegant design than the conventional extendible mast, it has never provided anywhere near as good reception (same in my previous E39). Therefore, switch to XM should dramatically improve radio reception.

However, from my general audio experience, the sound of a system is most significantly affected by the speakers, so I question whether a system upgrade, using existing speakers, will make as much difference when playing CD's (which you also say don't seem clear.) Using stock speakers seems to make sense from an ease of installation standpoint, but you may not end up with the across-the-board improvements you seem to be seeking.
  • vxjvxj Member Posts: 5
    Could somebody explain how to remove rear shelf in E60 with non foldable rear seats.
    Thanks.
    VJ
  • juniorbmwjuniorbmw Member Posts: 29
    Does anybody know where to purchase some door edge trim (guard) products?

Possibly color coded, and the kind that stick by adhesive?

I park in a tight spot & opening & closing the doors might damage the doors to the 530i.
  • sanand5sanand5 Member Posts: 33
    I agree about the new speakers. I have discussed this with quite a few people and I think I am going to go all out and change out the in-dash (Kenwood) , add an amp (Kicker 50W x 2), satellite receiver (Sirius), and replace the front speakers (Focal). All of this won't be cheap (about $1500) but it should sound awesome. I'll add a post when it is done.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    you may want to consider a subwoofer powered by a single mono-channel amp too. If you want to run it louder and only use 1 amp, you'll find the bass out of the speakers causes distortion. Installing a separate subwoofer/amp setup allows the other speakers to play louder without having to replicate the lower frequencies/distortion.

-Paul
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Isn't this a lot of money to just listen to Imus on the way to work and O'Reilly/Hanratty et. al. coming home? Does anyone (i.e., responsible, high income middle aged males) listen to anything else?
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    I used 3M protective film on the door edges of my 530i. It is clear and I had it custom cut and installed by the person who did the XPEL protection film for the hood, bumpers & mirrors.

Hope this helps....JL
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I was wondering how the XPEL has performed for you on the hood. Do you have any chips above the protection line? I seem to get chips in the strangest locations. I think most occur from ricochets. They bounce from the hood onto the roof then down the back toward the trunk. I could cover my entire 5er with the stuff!
  • lsufan6970lsufan6970 Member Posts: 10
    I am currently looking to replace my entire stock system. I'd like to go back with satellite radio, an amp or two, a couple of subwoofers and high quality replacements for the other speakers. Also, if possible, integrated dvd player with monitors behind the two headrests for rear passengers (5 year old and little sis) Has anyone done this and what brand did you choose?
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    I have seen it and like it very much.

Considering that it will have the same engine as the 530i and is apparently the same size inside as the E39, that may be my first BMW.

I was going to get a 530i, but think it is not a good value especially with the average 225bhp engine. Of course, your 545i is in a different league not only in performance but in value as well.

I think the 2006 330i will cannibalize the 5 series. I hope that BMW will make the 530i more powerful than the 330i...
    The new 3 and the '06 5-series will both have new engines...
     The 3.0 model will get 258 HP.. I think that will be plenty for either one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    It should be, put the 2006 3 series may take sales away from the 5 because the new 3 is as spacious as the E39.

I went for another teset drive in a 530i, with SP, PP but Auto. This is the first opportunity I had to drive it with the Sport suspension and 18 inchers and I have to tell you it really makes the car a lot more fun.

The auto is not what I want but I have a real good impression of the car and it was really, really nice. If I do go with a 530i it will be manual, SP, and the Harman Kardon system.

I have to say, the car masks its power extremely well, if you did not know, you would think it has at least 250bhp.

Decisions, decisions...
    BMW only uses BIG horses....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

only pulled beer wagons. :)

-Paul
    I have no stone chips on the hood beyond the protection line. There are a few nicks on the film, but that's OK. The film on the mirrors has also prevented paint damage.

Hope this helps....JL
  • woodranch1woodranch1 Member Posts: 35
    I am thinking of swapping out of my 2003 540i six-speed for the new Audi A6 4.2.

I have kind of soured on the manual tranny in LA traffic. Also spilling lots of coffee with cheap cupholders, feel ripped off with dead sounding stereo and find nav system really hard to use.

Will I regret this?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    What you will regret is driving an overweight, problematic, gas sucking (do you need AWD in LA?) A6 with a gorgeous interior.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I'd have to agree that I wouldn't want the extra weight,complexity,and cost of Quattro in sunny LA(I realize Audi markets Quattro as a handling enhancer). I just saw the new A6 at our local car show,though,and it greatly impressed me. Perhaps just a little too chromey inside-I'd still take the Bimmer...
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    May I ask what was the total cost for your Xpel protection? I know that I can buy the films and do it myself but just want to know the labor cost plus installation.
    I can't comment on the labor cost because my E39 front bumper/hood/mirror kit was installed at no charge. I recommend you find a local installer on the X-Pel website and work a deal. BTW, it took approx. 3-4 hours for the X-Pel trained installer to complete the work.

Hope this helps....JL
  • juniorbmwjuniorbmw Member Posts: 29
    The salesperson @ BMW dealership told me that you can remove the Navigation DVD & play a regular DVD movie, having it show up on the in-dash LCD as long as the car was in park, or not moving.

Tried this & it didn't work.

Has anybody else ever heard this, or am I doing something wrong?
  • rrusso1rrusso1 Member Posts: 23
    I was wondering about that myself. Haven't tried to do that or checked the manual yet but the Entertainment section of I Drive has a DVD box that you can click on. This would lead you to believe you could use it for something other than the NAV DVD. I'll try mine and let you know.
    I believe there is a DVD option where they install the screen and player for the rear passengers somehow. Maybe they initially offered this and now they don't though because I could have sworn I saw it as an option on the BMW website but I don't anymore. Do they mention it in the manual? I haven't looked.
  • bicyclebicycle Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I am considering the navigation system option on a 530. Does anyone have any information about it? Are they touch screen? Recent generation? Voice activated? The BMW site does not give much information.

Thanks
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I've got NAV on my 2005 545 and like it a lot. But, it is not leading edge at all. Typically for BMW, if it's not driving or handling related, they don't give it a very high priority. Think cup holders.

It's not touch screen and, although it does have some voice command features, they are limited. For example, you cannot call it up and pronounce an address from your address book and have it start directing you.

And to enter an address, you have to use the hated iDrive controller to step through the alphabet one letter at a time. So, if you wanted to enter 'Zanzibar Street', you'd have to turn the controller through 26 letters to get to 'Z' then back 25 times to get to 'A' and so on.

In the Acura, you can hit the voice command button and say, "Nearest Chinese restaurant" and the screen will immediately flash you a list of Chinese restaurants sorted by distance. Touch the one one you want and the system starts directing you. Nothing like this on the BMW.

But the thing does work and will get you where you are going. It has a pleasant slightly English acceted voice (I've named mine 'U-Turn Lavern') that talks you through all the turns. If you have HUD (I love that thing), it shows the driving directions on the driver's window.

Bottom line: If you want great NAV and good handling, get an Acura or Lexus. If you want stellar handling and silky smooth power and workman-like navigation, get a BMW.
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    These are great inputs on this car. I appreciate your comments. I drove the Acura yesterday, and would agree with your comments. I'll have to check the Lexus. I want the car to be functional / easily used and will trade off (I think) function for the 'perfect drive'. The NAV system you describe in the Acura sounds great.. I tried it a little, but not like that.. I may try it again.

sc
    cassidy, you said, "I've got NAV on my 2005 545 and like it a lot. But, it is not leading edge at all. Typically for BMW, if it's not driving or handling related, they don't give it a very high priority. Think cup holders."

or think I-drive! :)

-Paul