Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Errr, yikes, we can hear you. Please, there is no need to shout!

You might want to try Pacific BMW as they also have online sales of parts.

http://www.pacificbmw.com/new/parts/frame2.asp?prodid=108&mod- elid=506

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • juniorbmwjuniorbmw Member Posts: 29
    Just curious to know why every one is suggesting buying snow tires with wheels.

Do the snow tires perform better on other rims other than the OEM from BMW?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    juniorbmw... Check out the "recommended" Winter Tire/Wheel packages at places like The Tire Rack for various BMWs.

Taller, narrower tires work best on snow tires. So most people go from 17" to 16" of 16" to 15". If you do this, your OEM wheels won't fit the snow tires. Plus winter is hard on alloy wheels. Salt, washings, etc. Cheap steel wheels are a great way to go. Why destroy your nice OEM wheels during slushy winter season? Wheels don't tend to look nice during winter anyway.
  • khoon55khoon55 Member Posts: 1
    I was planning to buy the 530i AWD version - understand it will be available as a 2006 model. How much more is it expected to cost, and when will it be available for Euro delivery?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    While many here question whether it's worth the bother to replace tire/wheels twice a year (I don't, by the way, having lived in Edmonton & other such places), almost no one thinks it's a good idea to remount four tires twice a year on the same set of wheels.

The wheels on these cars are a bit delicate, relative to old-school steel wheels, so the winning cold-weather compromise is to have a set of winter tyres mounted on a separate set of wheels.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    1) Ease of swapping out (you can do it yourself, if winters are mounted on separate wheels).

2) Less wear and tear on the bead of the tire.. mounting and dismounting tires (both your summers and winters) up to six times is not good for the tire..

I bought a set of used BMW alloys for mine.. I like the idea of the car looking good all year round. And, no... I don't swap them myself.. But, I get the job done much quicker, since mounting, balancing isn't necessary.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Reason #4 for buying a second set of wheels: $$$

Add up the cost of mounting and balancing vs. just rebalancing your wheels once per year (one set one year, the other set the next), and you will find that a couple of years of labor costs for the re-mounting more than eats up the money saved by not buying the extra wheels in the first place.

Using my 2002 530i as an example; a spare set of Borbet alloy wheels costs $396 from TireRack.com. At the same time, according to TireRack, the shops in my area charge between $25 and $32 per wheel for mounting and balancing compared to the $10 that I pay just for balancing. So, if I was to have used my OEM wheels year round, my cash outlay would be at least $200 per year for the remounting/balancing vs. $40 for just the rebalancing. Hmmm, let's see, @ $160 per year of savings, it took me less than 2.5 years to justify those wheels. Of course this does not even take into account the extra time required for the remounting process (more money in lost productivity) and the more expensive/less effective wider tires that I would have to use on OEM wheels.

To my way of thinking, I more than paid for those wheels the first year just based upon the screwing around time that I didn't have to spend waiting around for someone to remount the rubber. Yeah but what about the time I spend waiting for my wheels to get rebalanced? Hehe, I drop them off at my local shop for rebalancing before I do the wheel swap. Almost zero time lost as that shop is in my normal area of travel.

All things considered, I can only think of a single argument for not buying the extra wheels; you only plan on driving the car in question for a single winter season.

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Folks,

Could someone please comment on the availability timeframe for the 530Xi? I was planning to take euro delivery and am looking for any information that might be available on pricing and availabilty.

Th in advance.
  • jim53jim53 Member Posts: 118
    What would be considered a good deal (over invoice or under MSRP) on a 2005 545? I just started shopping but am definetly leaning towards this car. Also, what is everyone's thoughts on the Steptronic vs the SMG transmission. I'd opt for the manual but my wife will only drive an automatic. Can teh SMG be driven in "automatic" mode?
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    I was told by two separate dealers that the XI should be available sometime late spring/early summer. The cost increase- above the RWD 530i- should be $1500-2000 more. For those who wish to lease, the residual #'s will likely be a point or two lower on the Xi models.
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Tx. I've been eagerly awaiting feedback on the availability and pricing for the 530Xi.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    If you are thinking about SMG, I would suggest making sure your wife drives it and likes it. SMG is all sport and anti luxury.
    And.... most people hate it...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What exactly do they hate about it?
    It is hard to be smooth, like with a normal manual... and, it makes a poor substitute for an automatic transmission.. rough shifts, even in automatic mode...

That seems to be the general consensus.. I'm sure some people like it...

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    Jim53, I've driven an M3 with SMG (so not the latest version in the E60), but it was hard to see the attraction. Not nearly as smooth as an auto, especially during stop and go, yet couldn't be controlled for smooth shifts (or otherwise), like a regular manual, with judicious use of the clutch. So after a few minutes, the novelty sort of wears off, and you stick it in "auto" mode, and then you realize that you probably would have just been better off with an regular automatic, with that power-robbing, but oh-so-smooth torque converter (ie, fluid coupling).

And this is completely apart from stories of service/reliability problems with SMG.

Get a regular auto, maintain marital bliss, maintain resale value, get something else for yourself with a stick.

Re "good deal", a 545 has at least several thousands of dollars of mark-up, but depending on supply, I don't think you can expect much more than a thousand or two off the list, they seem to be selling pretty well.
    Sdg380, well said. I believe that was one of the most sober posts I have ever read around here. I say this with utmost admiration and respect for the other distinguished faculty members ;-)
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    jim53, drive an SMG yourself before making up your mind. I drove a 530 last year with SMG and thought it would have been a decent compromise if I had to share the car with an automatic driver. But, you need to try it and also listen closely to people who've driven one for a while. I gather from some of the posts that people who have driven them for an extended period aren't that happy.

I bought 2005 545 six-speed (SP, CWP, NAV, HUD, SAT Radio)last September. Initiallly the salesman quoted me about $62K. I counteroffered $2K above invoice and he accepted. I also did the Eurpopean delivery which save about $5K
    Thanks. Is that 2K over US invoice or ED Invoice (I assume they are different)? I am looking at the SP, Nav, sat radio, and CWP. MSRP is around 63K. Invoice (per Edmunds) is 57,500. What price range should I be targetting? I want a good deal but don't necessarily want to drag this out over a few hundred dollars. I'd prefer to give 3-4 dealers a take it or leave it offer.
    “I'd prefer to give 3-4 dealers a take it or leave it offer.”

Yep, that’s the way to do it. First, don’t waste their time, but make them sure that you are a serious buyer, then lowball. Even if it is too low, they’ll make a comeback offer knowing you WILL be buying, and if they all make an offer, you can get them to compete each other down. The problem is that 545s seem to be in high demand with low inventory so you probably won’t be getting a steal. It can happen though.
    how low would you go? Again, I want a good and fair deal (not looking to rake these guys over the coals as everyone is in business to make some money).
    Well, I know what you’re saying and I am exactly the same way. It’s nice to see everyone prospering. However, my wife is a good negotiator and I’ve watched her work. If the dealers are getting at least 2K over invoice, I’d offer them invoice. If they get insulted or laugh, all you have to do is play ignorant to disarm them, you know “I thought this is what people are paying” then make sure you welcome the counteroffer. When this happens the other dealers become their competition, not you. The key is to get the counteroffers from all of them and only quote them the lowest. Phone and fax is best. “I’m a busy man, can’t come in.” Also, let them know you WANT this car, but you’re not a sucker, not desperate and are willing to walk. Finally, charm, confidence and respect always works wonders.

On the subject of dealers making money. I have a friend in another type of business where there is a lot of negotiation. He tells me that some people often walk away with very close to dealer cost. I asked him how he can allow them to do this. His answer is that it doesn’t always happen but when it does, his and other dealers' attitude is “I can walk from New York to Chicago and not make a dime. If I make a quarter here I’m ahead.” Well, catch a car dealer who subscribes to this and you’ve got yourself a bargain. This is why I say your chances are much better if you don’t make him labor with you, and at the same time are willing to walk, or at least give him this appearance.

BTW, the friend I was taking about? He’s loaded. Obviously there are more than enough people who don’t want to rake him over the coals. The world is nice place indeed.

;-)

THat was $2K over ED invoice. I had alreday established that ED would knock $5K off the price. That was when the salesman offered me MSRP and I countered with $2K above invoice. I know this salesman well and he knew that I was verey serious about buying the car. After we agreed on price, he said he wanted to buy my car ('86 325eS). I told him he could have it for a dollar as long as he'd add HUD to my new car at no cost. He readilly agreed. That saved me another $1K.

Had you considered ED? The money you save more than pays for the trip. Lufthansa has a deal with BMW that allows a companion to fly for free. Picking up the car in Munich is effortless and you can either drive it around Europe and ship it from any of a dozen locations or ship it right there in Munich.

You'll love teh SAT redaio, CWP, NAV and SP.

Please let us know what you finally do.
    In case anybody hasn't noticed, we've had a bit of snow here in the Boston area over the last couple of weeks. ;-) Last week, during a "little" eight inch event, Mrs. Shipo decided that she NEEDED to go into work for a few hours. I felt that she would be much safer in my Arctic-Alpin shod 530i as compared to her beloved Caravan (yeah, she actually likes driving it), so off she went. Unfortunately she is used to the ride height of her Caravan and as such just went barreling through the berm at the end of our driveway left behind by the snow plow. I was watching her from the window and winced as she went through; I just knew that she had hurt something on my car.

That evening when the 530i was safely tucked back into the garage, I went out and took a look-see. Yup, she had basically destroyed the front bottom of both inner fender liners. Today I needed to pick up her Caravan from its 36K service appointment, and since the local BMW dealership is just down the street, I stopped in to see about some new fender parts. Right in front of me was a guy buying the new (and very cool) "BMW Approved E39 Cup Holder" which fits under the arm rest where the little rolling door covers a basically useless tray. While he was waiting for his part, I inquired about the fender liners, and when he saw what I was asking about, and that the price was something like $17 per side, he told the parts guy to get him a set as well. When the parts came out, the guy behind us (who had just come up to the line) saw them and asked for yet another set. Hmmm, it seems that these parts are either too delicate for the job and/or were deliberately designed to be sacrificial parts, thus saving other more expensive parts from damage. Either way, for $35, it will be a cheap fix. ;-)

Anybody else have torn up E39 fender liners?

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I had a 2005 525i/Automatic loaner when I had the oil changed, tires rotated and balanced and the shift lever/gates inspected on my 2002 530i. First I will admit I liked it more than I thought I would. It handled and accelerated more than I was led to believe it would. But...

Is a MPG gauge more important than a temperature gauge? And, although I could use the i-drive without running off the road and without reading the owners manual first (and I am sure there are short cuts I did not find in one night) but is rotating the knob for stations, using the steering wheel buttons for volume and a mute button on the dash really an improvement over the previous system. I still believe i-drive is an answer looking for a question.

On another note, my 6'5" son could not get comfortable in the passenger seat, he can in my car, and what are all the chimes that go off apparently at random, not seat belt or outside temperature?

Just miscellaneous ramblings.
    You can go through your preset stations via a steering wheel button as well. Also, if you have NAV, you can use voice command.

As most iDrive owners will tell you, yes the damn thing is counter-intuitive but, most of the settings are one-time affairs. And you can assign a lot to the steering wheel. The things you use iDrive for regularly are fairly easy and become automatic.
  • daswolfdaswolf Member Posts: 43
    Shipo,was your dealership the one in Nashua?

I think the cupholder you saw is probably the TEC unit.

http://www.tecaccessories.com

It's a bit steep at just under $100, but given the cost of replacing the stock things a couple times, it may be worth it. I'd like to see it in person though and it may be worth a trip up to Nashua.
    Yup and Yup again. ;-)

The only difference is that the one sold through BMW dealerships actually have "BMW" stamped into the metal cup base instead of "TEC". I got the impression that you could order this cup holder from any BMW dealership as BMW is now officially considering this one of the E39 accessories. In my case, as I didn't even know my car had cup holders until a few weeks ago (from this forum no less), I am obviously not much of a candidate for buying one of these goodies. That said, if I found myself tooling around with cups of flaming hot coffee on a regular basis, I would certainly pop the "C" note for one of these.

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • argeliusargelius Member Posts: 64
    After previously telling me the 2006 525 and 530xi's would be out this spring (in the US), my dealer just informed me that now the AWD versions wont be available until the fall.

:'(

Anyone heard anything differently?
    My Dealer said they would have their first in May.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    I didn't even know my car had cup holders until a few weeks ago (from this forum no less)

You were serious?! I thought you were kidding!

I solved that little problem last week: I took the car with the real cupholders. The bimmer stayed home.
    Has anyone had any recent experience buying a 545 near Philadelphia? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Yup, I was serious, I really didn't know. I guess I must have missed that page (117) in the manual. :-/

The only time I need cup holders anyway is when I'm traveling with the family, which by default means that we take the rolling Family Room, which is the newer/nicer of our two Caravans. That one has a complete surround sound audio system with an in-dash DVD player (screen on the ceiling behind the front row of seats), wireless headphones for the back seat passengers and something like 12 cup holders!?! Twelve cup holders, what's up with that? I mean REALLY, it only seats 7 people.

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    12 cupholders means each person can have a hot AND a cold drink, meaning you have to stop more often to 'flush the system' so to speak, hence making your drive longer, hence needing more drinks, hence more stops... :)

The 5 would just be faster for the simple fact that you don't have to stop as much - so you don't need the DVD, cupholders, etc. :)

-Paul
    The flip side of course is that I no longer hear, "Daddy? How much longer till we get there?" It goes without saying that this is assuming a good movie is on the video. In fact, I've even gotten, "Ahhh shucks, we're already there! Can we stay in the car until the movie is done?" ;-)

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    with our conversion van that we drove from Texas to California. :)
    You forgot the "Tee-Shirt", as in:

"Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt..." ;-)

Best Regards,

Shipo
    I hardly ever use them, either (I drink water, not coffee, and it comes in square bottles). I was doing a favor for a friend, and I told him he was lucky I was driving the car with the real cupholders.

I guess no one at Dodge is good at math...12 holders for seven persons means two someones don't get two drinks. But we won't get into why anyone would need two drinks...
    Obviously, they do that for the NFL tailgate crowd... ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hmmm, I've never considered that theory. Sounds good to me as it will probably be a very cool day you know where when I bring any BMW to a Patriots game in lieu of a Caravan loaded to the gills with all of the fixin's for a great BBQ, candelabra included. ;-)

Best Regards,

Shipo
    But by definition, tailgating means you're parked, not driving, and standing around or sitting in the parking lot, not sitting in the vehicle. So you don't need all those cupholders anyway!

And I repeat, they don't know their math at Dodge, because two drinkers get shortchanged.
    Three miles from our house to the parking lot at Paul Brown stadium.. And, the coolers are upfront... Who knows how long you might get stuck in traffic? (Driver doesn't need one, he isn't allowed to drink on the way to the game).

12 cupholders for six passengers.. I'm telling you, those German engineers know their stuff!!

And, anyone can root for a winner like the Patriots (do the cupholders hold wine glasses?).. Only real football fans root for the Bengals.. ;-)

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I cannot say that I've ever been a REAL football fan, however, I've been lucky with where I've lived. I've had the fortune to live in four different cities at a time when their team made it to the Super Bowl, six trips in all. Of those six trips, five have resulted in victories (only the NY Giants failed in 2001). My luck of the draw also holds for World Series (5 teams, 9 appearances in the World Series and 6 championships), the NBA Championships (4 teams, 8 appearances and 4 Championships) and Hockey Stanley Cup Finals (4 teams, 10 appearances but only 3 Championships).

Oddly enough, while I like sports a lot, I don’t really spend much time watching the games (well, in 1985, I didn’t miss a single Bears game). Through it all, I have actually managed to get to a number of games (counting college football games, the number is even higher), however, I’ve never taken any BMW to a tail-gate party. ;-)

Best Regards,

Shipo
    I've lived within 100 miles of here for most of my life, so I have to "dance with who brung me".

Let's see...

Seven NCAA basketball finals.. Four championships (in case you wondered what the KY stood for)

Six World Series.. Three Championships..

Two Super Bowls... no wins (damn Joe Montana).

Not familiar with the terms "hockey" and "stanley cup"? lol

And, I've been a Bengals season ticket holder since '89.. And, will admit being a Cleveland Browns fan prior to '81...

And (to get back on topic), prior to last year, our primary mode of transport for tailgating was a '94 Grand Marquis (six of us)... Not that comfortable for six adult men, but it is a short trip.. (I wouldn't take the BMW, either)

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Since when do the Germans engineer Dodge Caravans?
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    wanted to invite the BMW faithful for there perspective.

clpurnell, "New M35/45 vs Lexus GS vs BMW 5 vs E-class vs A6 vs RL" #, 8 Feb 2005 4:53 pm
  • mark iimark ii Member Posts: 7
    After an e-mail, a formal complaint letter, several phone calls - in over 6 weeks, I finally got my BMW dealer to do something about the misaligned steering wheel on my 2004 530i. With much grief, I first had to get them to accept that my steering wheel was indeed misaligned - as it was aligned to the convex dashboard - and not to the driver in the normal driving position. Then my dealer had to bring in an expert from the BMW country office - and that was the only time they made the maximiun possible correcting adjustment. Though my steering wheel is still not perfectly aligned to me when I drive, I've decided to close my complaint.

Maybe my experience can just serve as a warning to potential new 5-Series (and other convex-dashboard BMW models) buyers - TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AT YOUR STEERING WHEEL ALIGNMENT and decide whether it's acceptable to you. On the other hand, for it's touted autobuilding expertse, I'm just wondering why BMW apparently doesn't align the steering wheel of their new models to the driver.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    When my Mom's '05 530iA is going down extremely steep grades, the engine revs to 4000 RPM. She leaves the car in "D" and doesn't play with the steptronic or sport mode. What could be the problem?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• gabmangabman Member Posts: 284
    Hello to All

Am new to this board and to BMW products. I currently drive an Infiniti G35 on which my lease is up in a few weeks. I decided to move into the New M35X, however, yesterday a deal came up on a brand new 2004 545i. I test drove the car yesterday and was blown away by the drive.

I can get into the BMW which is a CAD $ 74,000.00 for about $120.00 more a month than the M35X which is priced at CAD $ 58,000.00.

I will be leasing so depreciation is not a concern.

If I go with the BMW, I will have to give up AWD, A/C seats, Intelligent Key, Rear parking assist.

For 545i I gain 3 years/ 60,000 kms scheduled maintenance, plus 8 CYL instead of 6 cyl .

The lack of AWD on the 545i is a concern however after thinking about it and reading some posts here, 4 winter tires will probably do the trick, can't be worse than my G35 plus when you look at it AWD is only useful for about 4 months of the year.

I have some decisions to make and would appreciate

any feedback. Thanks
    Well.. this might not be it.. but here goes..

The transmission analyzes throttle position, braking, speed, etc.. and "senses" when you are going downhill (increasing speed, throttle closed, application of brakes) and holds the lower gear or even downshifts to provide engine braking...

If this is it, you can experiment by finding a hill where you can increase your speed... Then, when the car is taching 4000, give it a little gas.. it should upshift and allow the car to coast, increasing speed.. It probably won't downshift again, until you apply braking pressure..

It is either that.. or it's broken..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator