Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION AS TO WHEN THE PHONE WILL ARRIVE?
  • aloog8aloog8 Member Posts: 11
    To Pat Host: Thanks for alerting us to Liz Kim's road test on the left sidebar. Although the reader has to wade through excessively wordy and flowery text, I really appreciate a review that gets into the details and comes up with ideas for improvement. It's the kind of article that makes the car maker take notice. The author was obviously able to write a thorough analysis without worrying about jeopardizing ad revenue. Well done.
  • aloog8aloog8 Member Posts: 11
    I bought an LS 400 that was turned back in to the dealer with 5000 miles. Since this like-new current model had no used price history, I offered $10,000 off sticker as a starting point. The dealer accepted my offer (to my amazement). So, go ahead, submit an offer and make your own price history. It may be tougher with the LS 430, but you will save a bundle by not having to pay the new car luxury tax.
  • somebody2somebody2 Member Posts: 1
    I basically like the car a lot dispite a few major disappointments I discovered. Levinson is almost as good as my home system. Just great even with the poor 75-100 hz clarity..

I have been looking at the correspondence on this BBS for about 2 months. ( Most helpfull, I truly thank all contributors)

This BBS decided not to allow me in today so I am now Somebody2, as opposed to Seadog7. The car I wanted was a Mystic Ultra with ecru and pewter wood trim.

I had to compromize for a tin can Silver Ultra with a black interior and purple Formica (tm).

Today the car went over 1K and I dared to hit the gas. What a sickening let down. The car does not even meet minimum safety capabilities. My old un-turboed LS 400 had more omph.
    If anyone knows of a place that adds blowers to Ls 430's please tell me.

I appologize for spelling since MS spelling is not supported by this BBS.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    You must be a frustrated Daimler,as in DCX, board member or executive.
  • seadog7seadog7 Member Posts: 18
    I like the car more than my LS400 by a wide margin. I am German born, never had a German car, was American to the core until I discovered VOLVO. I appologize for my lack of experience with other good cars. Please understand, that as a driver, I grew up enjoying "get up and go". My American cars had that, but were about as unsafe as one can get. The LS430 does everything that very that is important to me well, it just does not move the way it should. Now I am a "mature" (read old) nerd. The LS is made for me. I just feel it should move better. My first car poluted like crazy, needed 90% lead to run at all, skidded more than it drove, and had no special anythig.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    Passport 8500 - I have the 7500 (very similar) and I think I already posted before about the way I mount mine (on the dash, to the left of the instruments). It's not designed to mount that way, but I love it. Doesn't block the windshield in any way.

4x3 (regular TV/VCR) pictures on my widescreen TV - the Pioneer Elite provides various stretching modes, or you can watch 4x3 in actual aspect ratio with gray bars on the sides. One of the stretching modes is called 'natural wide' and it scretches the video horizonally enough to fill the screen, and vertically, some, not in exact proportion, so it doesn't cause very much vertical cropping and doesn't affect scrolling tickers or banners like on CNBC or CNNH. So in this mode people look slightly 'wide' on first glance, but you get used to it almost immediately. I'd rather watch it in this mode than with the gray bars.

But since I love movies more than regular TV, the trade off is MORE than worth it.

Go see a Pioneer Elite sometime... it will blow you away.

Of course if you want to drop some bigger dough, go get a plasma widescreen display.
    Thanks. I'll check out that Pioneer. I remember reading CNET posts about it and a Pioneer HD dvd player that were also quite high on the products. I was looking into the Panasonic 34" 16x9 tube which is why I asked. The sony picture is also gorgeous - probably the best tube pix available.

Keep giving them hell on the other boards. You're posts are some of the best reads around.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    I too am German-born, and "mature" (74 this Friday). Are you saying the LS430 doesn't have enough power? If so, there must be something wrong -- either with your particular car, or with your driving habits. The only criticism I would agree with is that when you step hard on the gas to pass somebody, it hesitates a fraction of a second before downshifting. But once it does it zooms like a Banshi (oops, I hope this isn't a racial slur).

You also said the car is unsafe. Is that because you feel it doesn't have enough power? I would think having even more power would make it LESS safe, by encouraging people to drive too aggressively.

Happy driving!

Renny
  • hschenhschen Member Posts: 16
    I read a review on CAR & DRIVER that said due to the extra weight of LS430 the performance number of LS430 is a bit lower than LS400 it replaced. LS430 has higher torque than LS400 therefore off the line 0-60 time is about the same at 6.3 seconds. But, LS430 has the same peak hp at 290, it's extra weight causes its 1/4 mile performance worse than LS400. Can those of you who have experience on both models feel any difference?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I wonder if Lexus is playing the Fleet average gas mileage game...

The "lighter" GS430 with exactly the same engine produces 300HP. Why would the LS430 be limited to 290HP unless there is a significant reason. Lexus is foregoing advertising the LS as having 300HP when clearly that is a possibility.

I have a GS300 and my wife does not like the way the vehicle "jerks" off-the-line. One must be very careful with the throttle when first starting up in order to avoid this affect. I have taken up all of the slack, backlash, in the throttle cable but still have the problem.

Maybe what you are seeing in the LS is Lexus' efforts to have a more "smooth" power application, torque curve, as might be desired by most people in a luxury vehicle of this class. Remember, the LS has an "E-throttle" so the rate at which the engine "comes-on" is completely uncoupled from the gas pedal. The engine computer can do what Lexus damn well wants it to do, not what the driver might expect on full throttle application.

Since the GS is marketed as a "sports" sedan, I wonder if this isn't the reverse of my GS300 problem, lots of quick torque application at the bottom end to make one feel "sporty"!
    I am an engineer too. The beancounters might not understand, but I do. There are very sound reasons for polution and economy principles why the new LS exhibits thesese lethargic properties. It may be slow, but I still like it.

One comment that just occurs to me is one concerning emissions. Whenever I picked up my mother she would have great problms with the LS400 exhaust. Thus I would round up a "head of steam" before coasting to the tront of the house in neutral, engine off, to pick her up. Bedazzled by all the new gizmos I have failed to remember to do this with the new 430 at least 5 times. No smell. Thank you Lexus. The low polution engine does indeed work.
    The old LS 400 did fine recieving a marginal FM station. The new ML radio crashes in with spurious signals that can scare the daylights out of you. Poor capture ratio, coupled with no mechanical vertical antenna no doubt. 2 decibels is sort of the minimum CR but the Levinson can't muster it.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    My wife's LS400 (98) with 290 hp does jerk -off-the-line. My LS430 is much smoother off-the-line and I certainly prefer this response. Is the 400 faster? I doubt it. The acceleration of the 430 is more easily controled and responds to a heavy foot.
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    Had my LS 430 in for the 7500 today. Service writer and my salesman were familiar with the "groan". On my invoice it says, "Lubed shaft and shimmed screw caps on preload at steering shaft per tech assist." As I expected, Lexus has come through promptly with a fix.
    I drive a supercharger 4Runner (a truck with a lot of raw, not refined, power) for commuting. LS400 is my wife's "new" car. While I'm driving 4Runner, I tend to accelerate fast and hear the loud exhaust. Then, sit in LS, automatically I will drive slower. Must be the car environment changes my driving mode. LS is just so refine, graceful, relaxing and I can't hear her exhaust. Does anybody switch to after market exhaust?
    I understand several people are working on electronic anti-phase mufflers or systems that reside inside the car itself and are "noise" canceling. When those become available then, and only then, will I be looking for an aftermarket exhaust "system" for my LS.

Unless the 2002 LS430 comes with it that is.....
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    Took my LS430 in today for the Link service update and 2 minor complaints. They gave me a loaner RX since the Link update can take 3 hours or more depending on which of several "scenarios" your vehicle fits. Before I left, I spoke with the service guy who said Lexus "optimistically" is shooting for a late July solution to the phone situation and an equally "optimistic" August delivery of the new product. He indicated that most likely they will stay with Sprint, but that they are still looking into agreements with other carriers due to many customer complaints about Sprint. I would number myself in that last group and hope they can get an AT&T Digital One Rate phone system. That, IMO, would be perfect - at least for me and my extensive travel plans.
    Going to a golf demo day this afternoon, so I guess I'll be taking the RX - and parking up front for once!
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    I saw a black cherry color LS430 today in Los Angeles (parked on side of road, and I walked by it on the sidewalk). I did not think it was a flattering color for this car. It looks too "Honda Accord-like" in color hue IMO.

The interior was a dark gray and it had a similar color gray double pin stripe on the side.

It was a clear, sunny day so I believe I saw it in it's best "light". Other colors on this car look more distinguished and "expensive" in my opinion. Perhaps this is why it is a rare color.
  • carlo7carlo7 Member Posts: 7
    After reading this board for a month I went to the local dealer and drove a new AS (nav/lev) and asked the salesman about the groaning steering wheel problem I have read about here. He knew nothing about it. Got back to the dealership after a 15 minute ride and as I pulled the key from the ignition the steering wheel started retracting and rising and the groaning and shuddering were unbelievable (I could feel the vibration through my shoes). With wide eyes the salesman said I should try again. Same story (only less loud). We tried 3 more times and got progressively less noise and vibration, but it never stopped. I live near Seattle and the dealerships do not seem to have any colors but white, black and silver. Black Cherry is quite rare for them.

The messages here offer many good reasons to consider the LS430, but the steering wheel problem has me reconsidering. Anyone have any further experiences with this?
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    So besides a groaning steering wheel, for which there seems to be a cure, what were your impressions of the AS [sic]?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    the evil spellchecker changed LS to AS in carlo7's post.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • jjsdfsjjsdfs Member Posts: 3
    Any Specs for next year 2002 model ?
  • jarogjjarogj Member Posts: 16
    Anyone having any problems with noise, such as squeaks, creaks, etc with their driver's side seat cushion. Especially when moving in and out of the car. I have noticed that near the seat controls there is an area within the seat cushion that when pressure is applied it squeaks. It's actually inside the seat cushion along the edge.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Anyone having trouble with the motorized release/latching. Mine releases & then pulls down again partially. I have to be back there @ release time & raise it manually when it releases to open. Lexus has had a fix on order for a month. Anyone experiencing this problem?Everything else is great as I have had the LS for 3 months.
    Now have 16" wheels. Going to change to 17". Need info particularly on 225/55/17 tires--ALL SEASON. Have checked all the tire sites & know what is available but would like to hear some personal experieces on this size tire. Am considering everything from Conti 95 to Bridgestone Revo Z. I'm looking for a good quiet ride as well as improved handling & looks. Real world experience only please.

Has anyone suggegestions on 17" wheels? Right now I'm zeroing in on wheels from Discount Tire. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
  • bongerbonger Member Posts: 16
    I have the LS with ashtrays and was wondering if they can be removed and storage pockets be inserted in their place. Has anyone tried this or know if it can be done? I have seen several LS's with the storage pockets and although small, they would be far more useful than ashtrays to me.
    Of 'improved handling and looks', 'quiet ride', and 'all season' - pick 2.

As far as wheels from Discount Tire or Tirerack or anywhere else, there are good ones and not so good ones. For handling, look for lighter rims. For looks, maybe chrome is your style, but that makes the rims heavier.
    I've been reading numerous messages here describing tire performance and mentioning things like Z-ratings, and always felt totally dumb, wishing I knew what they are talking about. Well, I just found a web site that describes all about tire specifications and performance ratings, and is very well organized. I recommend it to you if you feel the same as I did:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/sidewall.htm

Pick one.

Not sure that I would take the LS430 to 17" wheels, that's not ITS "style". I would go for the Bridgestone Turanza's for quiet. The BBS-RR (japanese market only) really look good on some LS'es.

If you find you need winter tires keep your old wheels and mount all-season on them. Me, I park my LS (GS300 at the moment) and drive my RX.
    > Not sure that I would take the LS430 to 17" wheels, that's not ITS "style".

Huh? Lexus offers them even, and I think they look a heck of a lot better than the 16s. I think the 16s just look way too small for the body.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    after 7500 miles, none of the above "problems" have occured in this near perfect motorcar. I would only do two things
    quicker downshifts
    redisign the cruise control setup
    came back from lexus link service in columbus oh (wow what service even filled my tank) got on 270 at 65 got 29.5 mpg then on the way home got 28 mpg--that's wonderful mileage.
    We love this car, anything else we drive just is fatiguing. my wife want's to trade in her turbo yellow bug for a station wagon, like the volvo. the rx probably will be resisgn for 03. our loaner rx wallows a bit, but nice, the volvo has more room in the cargo area, we'll also try a highlander. but she likes the volvo--any comments?
    When I bought my 92 LS with air suspension I immediately "stiffened" the suspension with 16" wheels. Having driven the new LS I believe the air suspension has been so significantly improved that going to 17" wheels would add too much stiffness.

I would buy the LS430 for quietness and "comfort", not for "sporty" handling characteristics, I understand that's the market the GS430 is aimed at.

I don't really expect to become involved in any car chases or races in my LS, I'll leave that market to BMW.

17" wheels look REALLY good on the GS, but somehow out of place on the LS.
    I couldn't agree more with your comments. The car is as close to perfect as you can get. I am so used to the cruise, which Lexus has kept as is since 95 and probably before, that it would become foreign to me if they changed it. It works flawlessly which is what counts. I've also never had this groan.

Definitely take a look at the Highlander - it's more roomy than the RX7 and rides smooth and quiet and handles well. A friend of mine got one a few months back amd loves it. I think the next generation RX7 will probably be somewhat bigger, roomier inside and more luxurious if you can wait. I need 3 rows of seats and am likely going to the LX470 shortly. But if I didn't need the 3 rows I'd give the Highlander very serious consideration.
    There is a slight vibration when I accelerate or deccelerate my 98 LS around 75-80 mph. I can feel the vibration coming from the floor not from the steering wheel. Another thing I noticed was that the wheels (not the tires) got very hot after driving a while. The front wheels are hotter than the rear wheels. After driving on the freeway, I cannot leave my hand touching the wheel for more than 3 seconds. My wheels are stock 98. This is my first LS and I only had for a month. I don't know if that's normal. Thanks.
    > Definitely take a look at the Highlander - it's more roomy than the RX7

I would hope it's roomier than a Mazda RX7 - a 2 seat sports car :-) I assume you meant RX300. Maybe Edmunds' glorious 'spell checker' at work again?
    Guess I was asleep at the wheel. Of course you are right - I meant the RX300. I've still got that SC430 on my mind and seeing more and more of them on the road isn't helping matters. So my logic is I thought sports car rather than suv when I wrote.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    had you blamed the evil spell checker, no one would have doubted you! ;-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Now that I've recovered from that "slap" at my personal color choice ;), I have a question from post 1337 by nofeer. How would you (or should I say "wood" you MR. Spell Ckr?) redesign the cruise setup? Bear in mind, I don't know which one you have - mine is the laser and I like the way it functions. If other than the laser, then never mind.
    As for that earlier referenced shot at my color selection, today my golf instructor highly praised my choice and is thinking of buying one for himself. However, he distinctly did NOT praise my choice in golf shots. I tried to explain that none of those errant shots were by choice, but he remains unconvinced. Sounds like new clubs (Callaway Hawk Eyes, here I come!) are in order!
    For those of you still talking the HDTV talk, pls. continue to sprinkle your legit. posts with some of it. When I finally finish building my media room in the basement, I am adding an HDTV. I currently receive the broadcasts available on DirectTV and off air thru my RCA DCT100 satellite receiver, but no real HDTV monitor yet. I have occasionally watched on my extra computer monitor and its quite good. I am currently torn btwn the Toshiba 65H80 (65" widescreen) and the RCA 6130, a 61" widescreen. Both received good reviews. sorry for the off topic - gee, I love my Lexus. It's trouble free. (for the host to feel better)
    If you're interested in a widescreen projection TV, I checked out all of them, and none of them compare to the Pioneer Elite. It's the reference standard. More money, but worth it in terms of picture quality, construction, and ease of use. Consider it the Lexus of TVs!

They come in 53, 58 and 64" diagonal sizes.

Oh, er, that Lexus is a cool car! I saw a black LS on the road home tonight - I didn't care for it in black to be honest... just seems too big a car for black... I like the more 'rich' colors, and of course, silver. Still don't like that gray wood interior on some models though.
    Front wheels run hotter than rears because of braking forces on the fronts. As for heat...check your air pressure. Lower pressure causes more tire flex & heat.
    I love your color and would still like to see one stationary rather than as a blur on the road. However its' uniqueness (sorry - I've got good news and bad news here)is dying. I've seen a few on the road and in perusing the NY Times auto section on Sunday I saw that my dealer had one in stock and another as a Demo to be sold. Imagine they used it as a Demo!

On hdtv's you have a few choices and the prices are dropping. You can buy a 4x3 conventional shape hdtv ready set which automatically adjusts to a 16x9 pix with black bars above and below the pix when a hd broadcast is detected or a true 16x9 shaped set. The advantage of the former is that conventional broadcasts will look the same as you have always seen them except with greater clarity because of the better set and better set top box. The hd pix, when broadcast, will have the exceptional clarity, colors and 3D of a 16x9 set and the pix will take on the rectangular look with more width of picture than a 4x3 broadcast (ie in football you will see (say) 15 yds. of turf rather than (say) 10yds.) but slightly less than you would see in a true 16x9 set. When hd is broadcast and captured on a true 16x9 set you won't get the black bars and you'll see more width of picture. But conventional broadcasts will be seen with gray bars on the right and left side of the screen or you will need to stretch the pix to proportions of the 16x9 shape and this will show some mild distortion to the way the pix would look on a 4x3 set. So the trade-off is the blackbars and less width of a 4x3 vs. the perfection of a true 16x9 in hd and its distortion in 4x3 broadcasts. Don't buy a set with the converter box already in the set as the standards may change. Better to switch converters than tv sets. Finally check the hd video ports. Some sets have y,pb,pr ports (Sony, Panasonic) and some have the computer based ports of your set top box (RCA, Proscan models). You can always buy adapters if you have incompatible hd video ports though.

Host - off topic but fun to discuss.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    Like the MB it's always on, when you engage it "cruise" lights up, you can resume after a stop, or if you slow way down. The honda has a nice system, I shouldn't have to constantly reset the speed after slowing and stopping, the MB allows me to resume after a complete stop or any speed. driving though construction, and several lights and having to reset the cruise speed drives me nuts. I don't need a separate stalk like the MB the buttons on the lexus are just fine, but allow resume after a stop as decribed, sounds like a reprogram rather than redesign.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    First, the disclaimers: I am sure that there are many satisfied Volvo owners, and I suppose certain aspects of our experience might be unusual. BUT, I cannot think of any single choice available today that is more guaranteed to send a Lexus fan through the roof than a Volvo wagon. We had a brand new 98 V70 T5, which we traded in on a RX 300 because the thing was a CONSTANT source of annoyance. This is a partial list during 2 yrs of ownership: pieces of interior trim literally falling off (happened 3x with different pieces each time, including the entire tailgate). Replaced every lightbulb in the car within the 1st 18 mos (including 3 headlights). Check engine light on constantly. Replaced the stereo TWICE. Left me stranded twice. Every service trip required an appointment made at least 2 weeks in advance, and in most instances, the dealer tried to convince us (typically my wife) that the problems were with us, not the car (although later they had to admit that there were service bulletins on many of the items they originally attributed to driver error). And finally, when the thing was actually working as it was supposed to, the turbo led to significant torque steer and the ride was buck-board rough. (Man the thing would fly, though). I wouldn't touch one of those things even if you were making the payments. Just my opinion.
    Does your 98 have VSC? If so I would suggest you contact Lexus or a dealer immediately. It seems unlikely that your wheels are gaining their heat from the tires as rubber will not transfer heat all that readily. It is much more likely that the brakes are slightly engaged due to some possible flaw in the VSC system and the heat is coming from the brake rotors and into the wheels.

A defective "yaw" sensor, for instance, might cause all four brakes to be applied extremely intermittently, but never simultaneously. Something that would heat the wheels but might not give any other noticeable indication except slightly decreased gas mileage, maybe.
  • imwimw Member Posts: 1
    I've had my base model LS430 for about 2 months. I have read all of the posts on this topic from post no. 1, and I'm surprised that it took until post no. 1330 for anyone to complain about the trunk release mechanism. It does not pop the trunk open with a sufficiently wide gap to avoid the frequent engaging of the automatic pull-down mechanism on most tries. This occurs whether the trunk is open by remote or by the use of the trunk release mechanism to the left of the steering wheel. The problem is most likely to occur when the trunk is opened and a door is closed before you walk to the trunk. Perhaps the movement of the car body from closing the door is enough to partially engage the pull down feature. I have not yet complained to the dealer about this, so I do not know if lexus has a fix for this. I do know that a friend of mine bought a 430 at around the same time and she has the same problem. From that small sample I conclude unscientific ally that the problem must be wide-spread.
    nofeer, what model LS430 do you have? I have the Ultra (with laser cruise control) and once I set it to a certain speed, I can "Resume" that speed setting even after a full stop, or anything else except turning the ignition off. You have to go faster than about 25 mph before the Resume (or Set, for that matter) will work, but I guess that's the same on all cars, i.e. no cruise control below 25 mph.

The one thing I do agree with you on is that there should be a default choice of having the cruise enabled when the car is started. It always annoys me a little (but not a lot) that after starting, I have to go through the motions of enabling the cruise before I can Set a cruise speed (in my case I also have to select my preferred following distance -- one of three choices -- that too should be included in the default selection).

Of course we would have to admit that these complaints are not quite on a par with nealm1's Volvo experiences, wouldn't we?
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Interesting, imw. I've had my LS 430 Ultra since November and don't remember having had any problems that you indicated. So I just went out, remotely opened the trunk, slammed all the doors and still no problem- trunk remained opened just where it was when released by the remote. From my experience it appears to be not a general issue or maybe my good experience is unique.