Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,677
    I don't want to get back into the whole terrorist discussion but General Mcaffrey's e-mail as detailed in a story on CNN.com certainly makes you realize the power of America's military might. An offensive powerhouse story vs. all the tv talk about how the Afghans defeated the Russians (with our weapons everyone forgets to mention - they have no such supplier now) and how the mountainous terrain is so hard to negotiate. The NY times also ran a story today that indicated the Taliban's power is fading fast.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I feel I must applaud the current administration for being will to wait things out and let things develop worldwide.

Good JOB!

We may just win this "war" by simply rattling sabers and supplying food to the Afghanistanians.
  • flint350flint350 Posts: 250
    Oh, please. Give me a break.
    Flint350

Are you saying what our President has done over the past weeks isn't working or isn't likely to work?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well that's only partially correct. Mercedes' model changeover actually happend during Aug and Sept. only completing during the last week of Sept for their cars. However still everyone's sales were down due to model changeover and the Sept 11 events.

M
    No, of course I'm not saying that and you know it. It is your interpretation of our President's policy as mere "saber rattling" and "feed the Afghani's" that is flawed and you know that as well. The "saber" is being unsheathed for use in the very near future and you know that too. To suggest that we can be successful against terrorists with saber rattling and food programs and not follow through as we have announced we will do is either terribly naive, given the recent news, or your LS windows have fogged up again and you need to get that a/c working. But this has been off-topic again and we both know that too.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I wish I didn't have to say this, I really do, but could we please just stick to the cars here?

Everyone here knows that this not a political board in any way, and these kinds of conversations just don't belong here. Obviously the events of September 11 demanded that the "rules" be relaxed for a bit, but - at least for now - we need to try to keep to the Town Hall's mission.

Please? I would really appreciate it.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    And I love those Lexuses too.(Notice me staying on topic.)
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    And the new LS430 looks great with the chrome wheels. But I love my 94 Anniv Edition.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Did anybody see that Lexus swept the J.D. Power APEAL awards that were released last Monday?

LS 430 -- #1 most appealing premium luxury car
    GS 300/430 -- #1 most appealing mid-luxury car
    ES 300 -- #1 most appealing entry luxury car (IS 300 was #2)

The APEAL study measures what excites and delights new vehicle owners with their vehicle's features and designs. The study includes over 110 attributes consumers like and dislike in the following eight categories:

1. Exterior styling
    2. Engine and transmission
    3. Comfort and convenience
    4. Ride, handling and braking
    5. Seats
    6. Heating, ventilation and cooling
    7. Cockpit and instrument panel
    8. Sound system
  • bluebeastbluebeast Posts: 261
    Can you post the link to the J.D. Powers APEAL study?
    My computer is not letting me post the links, saying they're too long (which they're not).

So, follow this way:

1. Go to http://www.jdpower.com

2. Click on "automotive"

3. On the left side, click on "I'm looking for news"

4. Under "Study/Report" (first heading), click on "Customer Satisfaction & Product Quality"

5. Click on the 2nd study -- 2001 APEAL

There are three links, one each for the press release, winners and summary.

• Much as I fancy myself an iconoclast, I don't like the idea of being the "only" one driving a certain make of car. I wouldn't buy a Q45 for that reason, mostly. I'd feel like I was out on a limb that might break off at any time and leave me without any support. Nissan is not about to go under, but I'm not sure that can be said about the Infinity division. I realize my feelings in this matter are largely irrational, but I think a lot of people feel as I do. In a Q45 I think one feels "left out." A sort of wierdo. It's like driving a Yugo, or a Daewoo, or one of those new hybird cars, or like buying one of the last Oldsmobiles, or like buying a six-series Bimmer just before they were discontinued, as a friend of mine did. There's something to be said for a long-standing record and reputation, almost like being part of a tradition (excuse me while I wipe away a tear). They make only a few thousand (or maybe only a few hundred) Ferraris every year. They are rarer than hens' you-know-whats, but that wouldn't be a factor at all in deciding whether or not to buy one, were a person so inclined. So I don't know why I feel the way I do about Qs. But I think all those people who didn't buy one feel the same. It's not a bad looking car, despite what merc1 thinks, and I believe it won the latest "comparo" between it and the LS 430 in Car and Driver (or was it Road and Track?) So there is no rational reason for not buying a Q45.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Evaluate the air conditioning on a hot day.
    I agree with you on the Q45 100%.

Another item that would prevent me from buying any Infiniti is their willingness to discontinue models with no replacement on such a frequent basis. In only 11 years they have dropped the M30, the J30 and the G20 (although this was brought back after a few years).

This practice alone would scare me from buying any Infiniti.

Lexus has never dropped a single model from its entire lineup.
    I haven't heard anything yet about the new DVD update disk, but I saw on one of the Benz sites that they are getting $300 for the CD set (9 disks for US and 2 for Canada). It's my understanding that the 1st updates are free for the LS430, but I wonder what they'll cost eventually. Can't imagine 1 disk would cost as much as the Benz set. Of course, I can't imagine Benz charging $300 either, nor can I imagine them still using CD's since it takes 11! Imagine the fun of being on a long trip and having to stop and dig out the trunk so you can change CD's. (I think I heard their CD changer is in the trunk).

I just returned from a long trip across "regions" and the DVD system worked flawlessly. IT was even useful in some small towns where "turn by turn" guidance (remember those "gold" roads?) was not available. Less useful, sure, but useful still.
  • On the Mercedes, the CD changer is in the trunk, but the COMAND system has a single-slot player in the dash, which can accept either a navigation or regular CD. If ordered at time of purchase, the 11 disk set is "only" $140. I think the first 2 updates are free on the LS430.
    Do you know how to get the update? I'm still groan free - how about you.
  • pcbrspcbrs Posts: 56
    I guess you're not including the ES250, which came out with the ES300. But then again, the ES lines are still available, so I can see where you are coming from.
  • nealm1nealm1 Posts: 154
    The groan is a thing of the past. Lexus has found an effective fix. If anyone is still having this problem, take it in and tell the dealer to get the TSB.

Has anyone spent any quality time in an SC430? I have read reviews that suggest that it squeaks and rattles in unchatacteristic ways for a Lexus. Any experiences?
    The ES 250 and ES 300 did not come out at the same time, and were never sold together.

The ES 250 came out in September 1989 and was sold through September 1991. At that point, the ES 300 was introduced.

Even though the engine was enlarged from 2.5 to 3.0, the car was still the ES. Just like when the LS 400 became the LS 430 with its redesign. It's still the same car.
    No groan and just passed 9200 miles. As for the nav update, I believe the dealer is supposed to notify us when they become available - I heard that's supposed to be in November.

sfmartin, thanks for the clarification. It's been over a year since I looked at the S Class when preparing to buy. I remember that setup now that you've reminded me.
    I took the SC430 out for about a 20 minute spin a while back. It was a wonderful car and I came away with the feeling that I have to get me one of these. I thought that it had a custom feel to it and maybe an even better body build than the LS430. It was also incredibly quiet inside and the ML radio in such small confines is even more awesome than in the LS430. The interior wood is impeccable and somehow seems even more stunning than on the LS.

Did you ever buy that telescope? If you're still in the market I'll give you a couple of websites that discount a bit (rare in scope shopping) and offer free shipping.

Flint350 - I would kill to get the nav system on my midnight pine car. My only mistake. I'm pushing 14.5k miles on the pine and it is flawless and spectacular. I've gotten used to the Pioneer radio and its damm good until you hear the ML. I've got the nav on the silver (8k miles and also flawless) But I can't get my wife to switch cars with me and worse yet she rarely uses it. The problem is she won't be without the ML. I drive the silver on weekends and have the nav programmed to the hilt. I think if I was buying today I'd definitely go with the custom lux and quite possibly the ultra lux. Is the air suspension what it is hyped to be?
    Yes, and more.
  • I have a 430 with sport suspension and 17" wheels. I live in New England. I think I need snows for the winter. What have folks done: bought 17" snows, bought 17" snows AND rims to protect the factory originals or changed to a 16" wheel/snow package for a cheaper price, etc. Has anyone had experience with all-season tires on the LS last winter??
    Here in this area we very rarely have true wintertime conditions. Bad snow storm in Dec. 90 and another in Dec 95. So I stick with my nice quiet Turanzas and put a set of good light duty chains in the trunk for those few occassions when they are needed.

Trying to remember my years at Pease AFB but don't remember it being much worse than Seattle.
  • pcbrspcbrs Posts: 56
    Point well made. =) I seem to have blended the two models together. I stand corrected.
    We still have not purchased a telescope; my wife ungraciously pointed out that what my son really wanted was a remote-controlled plane, and that the telescope smelled more like a present for dad. True, but ungracious nonetheless. I would be interested in any recommended sites. (Sorry for the brief detour, Pat)

Did you folks read the yellowbrix piece on the new 7 linked to Edmunds' front page? Comes in for some fairly harsh criticism. I hope it is undeserved -- always rooting for anyone advancing the state of the art -- but as i have said before, I have my doubts about i-drive
    you can find the 7 piece linked on the "news" section of Edmunds