Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• greasykid1, You can also try discounttire.com . which is the website for discount tire direct. Also, you may want to pick up some issues of some of the tuner magazines. I run through my son's magazines and they have tons of ads for wheels. I think one is called Sport Compact magazine and one is Tuner or Import Tuner magazine.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    You didn't like the 17x8 BBS-RX or RXIIs at Tirerack?

Beautiful on my 2000 GS300.
  • I have 4 OEM 17" rims with inserts from a 01 LS430 with Dunlop summer tires that still have the nubs on them.. Tires have about 15 miles on them. If interested, leave a post
  • flint350flint350 Posts: 250
    The Lexus website STILL shows the phone as available for the LS and also says the Nav database is updated twice yearly. They have most assuredly dropped the ball on these two issues, to say the least.

I was under the impression the 1st 2 nav updates were to be free and am now reading elsewhere that they are expecting to charge around $400 for them - when they finally become available.

They really ought to be embarassed about that phone issue and at least remove mention of it from their website. It borders on dishonest.
  • When I was in Seattle recently, the Lexus dealer (in Bellevue) had signs in the showroom announcing the built-in phone. I asked if it is actually available now and they took me to the parts department to show me the actual phone -- a Sprint, if I remember correctly -- and said yes, it is available now. Cost: $2500. I said thank you very much.

Maybe something special for the northwest only?? Somebody up there has a lot of pull.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Lexus told me that the update for the GS 430 will be available this fall. See post 1488 on the GS 430 board.
  • hschenhschen Posts: 16
    Are these wheels made by Lexus or after market? Will it fit on a 1998 LS? How much?
  • Since Lexus can't figure out when, if, and how much the DVD update will be, maybe we should just call Denso directly (the company that manufacturers the database).

As for the floor mats in the Ecru interior, I got my dealer to replace them with the darker gray mats for free since the standard off-white ones showed every speck of dirt after the first two weeks of owning the car. If you complain, they will usually give-in and give them to you for free.
  • Please send me your e mail address.
    Mine is in my profile. Thanks Greasykid 1.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    will not give you the time of day.
  • Hschen These are Lexus 17" OEM wheels off a 01 LS430. I do not know if they will fit a 400
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Doesn't Denso make the hardware and someone else the data?
  • NavTech makes the maps on the NAV system
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,679
    Are you watching the sky show tonight?
  • Please e mail me for info on your LS400 wheels
  • Of all the gimmicks, I find the laser control to really be usefull. It is not perfect, but most of the time very helpfull in heavy traffic. I get in middle or right lane set it about five miles over spped limit, and don`t then have to anticipate traffic ahead. Those that go faster can pass easily and even if they cut back in front if they are going faster than me the laser does not slow car down. Makes a long trip much easier.
    Because of the higher mounting of the map display, at night people fly by and then slow down and play meek. They think the map is a radar detector. To be nice I turn it off. Nothing worse than passing a policeman. Tony
    ljflx - yes, my wife and I went out at 4:30am and sat in her Miata with the top down and watched the show. Despite some ground fog down here in Md., the show was pretty spectacular. We probably saw over 80-100 streaks in about 75 minutes. Thought about using the LS but the moon roof was too restrictive - the top down was the way to go.

I see you're still trying (valiantly but unsuccessfully) to convert merc1 and arcoates. Good try, though. Plus, I happen to agree with you :)
  • nealm1nealm1 Posts: 154
    Took my son out at 5:00 and despite the light pollution here in Alexandria VA, we were able to see a spectacular show. Trapsing onto the athletic field at my son's elementary school, we joined maybe a dozen others oooohing and awing over the white streaks and red embers. Really something. Telescope is definitely around the corner.
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 380
    Do you think lexus will make an AWD sedan, for the ls or gs line to compete with audi and MB e320 4matic?
  • I am looking to buy a 1990 Lexus LS400. It is in very good shape and has 129713 miles. I am getting it from a dealership for $6950 Any comments on things I should be aware of? And the few things that are wrong with it (antenna motor, air conditioning), should I expect that those things are fixed by the dealership? Thanks.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Lexus has topped the J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study for the 7th year in a row.

Lexus had fewer than half the problems of an average car.

The study measures the durability of four and five year old cars and trucks. An average 1997 car had 3.82 problems vs. 1997 Lexus models' 1.73.

The LS 400 and LX 450 were #1 in their respective categories, while the SC 300/400 and ES 300 were in the top three.
  • vencio, You should expect the car to be in perfect working order. You should have the A/C, antenna and anything else fixed by the dealer before purchase.

Check out the gauge cluster. Make sure it lights up fully and all the needles light up.
  • nealm1nealm1 Posts: 154
    Vencio -- that's my car! I trade a 90 LS w/120k+ in for my current LS430 last March. You are getting a great great car. Closely examine the LCD displays; are they sharp and clear? They have a tendancy to bleed, and they run several hundred bucks to replace. I also had to replace the a/c compressor and associated parts at abt 100k; check to see if it is in good working order. Obviously, have a mechanic go over the car carefully before buying, and check the paint and other things that are up to the owner to maintain, but generally, you should have a car that is set to go another 100k miles easy, and in great comfort. Enjoy it.
  • pcbrspcbrs Posts: 56
    Hi-

I was wondering if I could ask you guys for some help. The side mirrors on our 2001 LS 430 do not seem to be tilting when the gear is put to reverse. It used to do this fine. This has just recently happened. Neither of the mirrors will move. Did I press a wrong button somewhere? Have any of you had this problem? We'll probably take it into the dealer soon... unless you guys have an easy fix. Thank you.

Jeff
    No, I haven't had the problem and I don't believe it is a user programmable setting (i.e. no button to set, etc) - it is a standard feature I believe and therefore indicates a malfunction. Trip to the dealer is probably necessary. I assume you have already tried moving them manually to make sure they aren't stuck or lost power.
  • Before going to the dealer, make sure you check the side mirror adjusting switch that it is not at neutral position.
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 380
    IF the switch is in the middle the feature won't work, move it to the left or right

Anyone know if the ls, gs, es will get AWD in the future, when i trade in my car i wouldn't want to go audi or e class
  • Actually, I believe if the switch is to the right, only the right mirror will tilt. To the left and both will tilt.
  • Both mirrors will tilt for the switch on either right or left.
  • My friend of many years, and I go quail hunting every Thanksgiving. He owns a new s500, and we went in his car. I own Lexus. The looks of s500 and interior are subjective, and IMO are great. The s has both front seats that the bottom seat move back and fourth, lexus only driver side. The lexus is really superior in dash layout and nav display. The s500 has a small display for all the stuff, and did not seem user friendly. The Lexus has all the little things that s use to have, such as eye glass compartment and other nooks and cranies. On casual observation looks like s has done away with them. A very nice car, but not as nice as it use to be. Lexus is coming into its own now. With the lexus air suspension I think the drive is every bit as good as Mercedes. Tony