Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• stlouisslimstlouisslim Member Posts: 21
    I've had my Ultra Lux for two months so I only have a little experience with the options that you note. But so far the Nav system has twice helped me out of major traffic snarls. It has also helped me find several locations in strange cities. However, it is far from perfect: the database is incomplete, the POIs are next to useless and the route selection feature can be screwy. It will almost always find a route to your destination, but it's almost never the way you want to go. Mostly, I just use the moving map display and do my own route selection. But, I am confident that I'll be able to squeeze more usefulness out of it with more practice. All in all, its worth having.

As for the M/L sound system; its nice but I am not an audiophile. I suspect the regular system would sound just as good to me.

You can feel the cold air from the climate controlled seats (and certainly hear the fans). I don't know that the comfort level difference is dramatic. I also can't comment on the seat heaters.

As I have tight quarters in the garage, I use the parking assist everyday. It works as advertized and mostly what it does is give you the confidence to park six inches from the wall. I do wish it were a bit more sensitive, though.

The laser cruise control is the neatest gadget on the car, but you have to use it in the right situation. It works very well on rural freeways with moderate to little traffic. Turn it off in cities and in heavy traffic. Be aware that there can be two problems on tight curves: it will break lock with the car in front of you (and then run up on it); and occasionally it will lock-on to cars in the adjacent lane (very unpleasant if he's going 20mph slower than you).
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    WOW! wwest really gets going on some of this stuff. It must be a lawyer thing. Or at least Lexus' way of saying, "Hey, we are putting this disclaimer here so you know we are worried that you are driving with this in your car"

I can't believe we brought jurors into this mix. Jurors are always fair. Just ask OJ. :)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It would work as a protective disclaimer, absolutely, IMMHO, were it not for the fact that Lexus then simply goes ahead and brings up the moving map display, "unasked".

Does anyone know why?

And my apologies, I was speaking of my 01 RX300 Nav that BLANKS all of the ancillary information and the driver must take some otherwise useless action if s/he wants to see those displays.

Absent some way to assure that its not the driver manipulating the Nav, I'll take sides with Lexus on this one.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    Your question "....does anyone know why?" In my opinion, it does that because that is exactly what it is designed to do and most people are expecting it to do. You "agree" bcz you want to use it (in most instances), so it defaults to showing the map. It's certainly what I'd want it to do and many others, I suspect.

As for Lexus assuring it's not the driver, I guess we can just agree to disagree. There's no way I can imagine that being accomplished with current technology. And, at some point, we all finally have to take responsibility for our own actions, right or wrong (barring design flaw). How far down the road of engineering for the stupid do we have to go and deprive the intelligent and careful of enhanced benefits and features. I guess we'll have to equip all cars with ignition-restricting breathalyzers, etc. to protect against the idiots who are going to do what they want regardless our efforts to stop them.

And I agree with ljflx (how you doing buddy?) on the McDonald's analogy and the surgeon general analogy.

By the way, the Garmin Street Pilot III Deluxe unit I just bought for use in my new Avalanche and the wife's car, also shows a disclaimer page that you must agree to, then allows all inputs if you turn off "safe" mode. I think we use it safely, but I'm sure many don't. I pray none of us run into those goofballs in either a Lexus or other car who are driving and inputting nav addresses while dialing their phone. But do we really want to physically limit the rest of us, due to them? Maybe we should, but right now I'm on the other side and choose not to ski down clearly marked black diamond slopes.
  • carfan4surecarfan4sure Member Posts: 49
    ljflx: Thanks. They don't charge any more for the Euro Suspension. You may be right; at 43 I'm apparently 17 years younger than the avg LS430 buyer and should start my midlife crisis before it is too late! I haven't seen one, and the salesman who sold me my 1990 LS has discouraged me, in part, because the tires won't last as long. What is the useful life of the std H tires v. the Euro tires? Y
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Doing great. Still have two perfect cars.

I can't believe we are coming up on the 9/11 anniversary already. All these TV news tories are making me/us re-live it. BTW - I long ago thought bin Laden is dead - what do you think? Several stories I heard on am drive were squelched and on CNN there is a story today about one of his high level operatives talking of him in past tense.

Maybe you missed an earlier post but going back and forth to Myrtle i never saw a Md. trooper on I-95. Needless to say i was amazed.
    Glad to hear all is well. Mine is perfect as well. Yeah, the 9-11 stuff is a little tough. I'll never forget, but I'm not sure all this re-living is healthy. A good memorial, sure, but not endless re-living. Don't know what to think about Bin Laden, but with all the promises of videos and his underlings saying he would speak out, it makes you wonder - where is he? Why isn't he gloating?

As for the troopers, they have been less active lately it seems. Haven't seen a good "jump out in the fast lane" move in a while. Take care.
    My business partner has the euro. He has 35k miles on it and the tires are still in good shape. Don't buy the salesman's story. My sales guy told me the same tire story thimg but it was because the euro had a 3 month wait at the time. He wanted his commission asap.
    If you actually want to make use of the nav there is no way you can avoid the start-up procedure. IMMHO that's the only time the moving map display should come up automatically.

Coming up by default makes Lexus liable IMMHO!
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I have the Nav in my '99 LS and it is very useFUL, for me. I use it fairly regularly bcos it is easier than having to map out trips on Yahoo or Mapquest on my PC - the time saved not having to boot up my PC to map my trip is precious to me....

wwest's complaint is based on his RX, but this is an LS forum so why the constant moan about the NAV being "useless" on the LS. The RX and LS are as similar as grapes are to apples (NOT) !

And the "I agree" button that I touch everytime I use the Nav can only be there for a single reason - legal issue. That is the only logical reason ! I have no problem "agreeing" since it is MY choice to use the Nav, and I should accept responsibility for any eventuality afterwards. If only many people accept responsibility for their actions we would not have Lexus put a disclaimer before using a gadget in any vehicle.
  • woppenhewoppenhe Member Posts: 61
    The Nav system is essential in my view. We just returned from a 2500 mile trip through the West. When we identified a hotel at the next stop, we just inputted its address and it took us right there. We used the map only for vacation planning in general in the hotel room, never in the vehicle. I use it every day, to estimate my time of arrival and to spot alternate routes around traffic. It is just fun. It is better than the system in my airplane in terms of its ease of use and detail. It may not be as reliable, but it is plenty reliable. My wife was a skeptic, but now wants one on her next car as well. I'll bet the folks who don't like it don't like computers either. After a year of so of use, I decided to familiarize myself with the voice commands. Here we could use a little more finesse, but the ability to do thing hands free makes even that rudimentary feature useful.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I'm looking for physicians (M.D.s or DOs) who are willing to discuss their car collections with a trade magazine. If you fit the bill, please respond with your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by Sept. 16, 2002.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I think I started this last flurry on the "I agree" and torts. I don't believe it gives total release, but as was suggested several posts ago, it is an element to their defense - We warned Joe Blow when he started the car and he understood and agreed to the risk. Better than being negligent by giving no warning. The Lexus Link is active might also be a lawyerly thing in that if it doesn't make the announcement, you should not expect the auto SOS on air bags or other features to work.
    Lastly, on the Nav and other screens - I believe you can turn the automatic return to the map on and off. I'm off on a trip and will play with the system. If I find the right menu sequence I'll post it when I get back Thurs.
    Let's say, assume, that for each trip, if I actually wanted to use the nav, the "I agree" sequence comes up, and in order to proceed I must agree. And let's further assume that the moving map display doesn't come up otherwise.

In that case IMMHO the distraction legalities would be covered.

The way it operates now:

"I'm about to start playing an "animated cartoon" but you must assure me that you will not be distracted by it before I begin playing".

Surgeon General's cigarette pak warning..

I have yet to have a cigarette take itself out of the pack, light itself, and then insert itself into my mouth, let alone force me to inhale.
    Been in the computer business since June of 69, LOVE my line of work. See homepage at strobedata.com

It's likely my long experience that makes the flaws in these system so obvious to me. Needless flaws I might add.

As an example: What is the need for the map display except for initial setup?

I don't use it very often but when I do I find the voice prompting is perfectly adequate. The moving map display ONLY serves as an additional driver distraction.

I would much rather have the system informational displays up continually by default and only have the moving map up if I need it.
    stlouisslim: Those are helpful comments. I appreciate your experience.

The dynamic laser control seems somewhat scary to me. Does it ever brake hard if someone cuts you off? Do you not feel uneasy/tense "waiting" for your car to slow down behind a slower moving vehicle you can see in the distance but the laser hasn't "seen" yet? Maybe I'm a control freak and need to loosen up...

Are the A/C seat fans annoyingly noisy? The concept of a/c for leather seats seems like a great idea. What color are your seats? If the color is dark, black or bourdeaux, maybe that has overcome the a/c's ability to counter the sun. This year you don't have to buy the fancier leather for front climate control seats; they poke holes in the regular leather I guess.
  • woppenhewoppenhe Member Posts: 61
    I am just the opposite. I find the constant voice reminders to be an irritation. The screen is there if I wish, and I do ignore it for the most part. It is particularly helpful in new territory, in finding previously unfamilliar addresses, and for complicated freeway off ramps where I can look at what I need to do a mile or so before I have to deal with it. It can be a distraction, as well, and of course you need to exercise some judgement. Control of the vehicle, especially in traffic, is alway the first concern. First, drive the car, then if you have the abiity and stability, you can look at the map. I think the inability to program destinations while moving is a good thing. The use of hands free voice to set a limited number of destinations or features, is also a good thing. I figure that even if some of these restrictions are a nuisance for me, for an older driver, or an easily distracted driver, it is not a good thing, and the system is protecting me from them as well, by discouraging their potentally being distracted as well.
    stlouisslim: Those are helpful comments. I appreciate your experience.

The dynamic laser control seems somewhat scary to me. Does it ever brake hard if someone cuts you off? Do you not feel uneasy/tense "waiting" for your car to slow down behind a slower moving vehicle you can see in the distance but the laser hasn't "seen" yet? Maybe I'm a control freak and need to loosen up...

Are the A/C seat fans annoyingly noisy? The concept of a/c for leather seats seems like a great idea. What color are your seats? If the color is dark, black or bourdeaux, maybe that has overcome the a/c's ability to counter the sun. This year you don't have to buy the fancier leather for front climate control seats; they poke holes in the regular leather I guess.
    "...the "I agree" sequence comes up, and in order to proceed I must agree. And let's further assume that the moving map display doesn't come up otherwise." That is exactly how it operates now, so I continue to not understand your objection. I must be obtuse.

"...the way it operates now...animated cartoon..." Not possible, off point and an improper analogy. Stick to nav/maps. If you want to use it, you must "agree". You can opt out of the visual display and use voice if you find glancing at the map impossible to resist or distracting. Or you can opt not to have/use it at all. It is only there for those who wish it and "agree" to it's limitations.

"...I have yet to have a cigarette take itself out of the pack, light itself,..." And I have yet to have the map turn itself on without my agreeing, stick it's display directly in my face, let alone force me to watch it. Sorry, while I respect your obviously extensive knowledge on systems in this car, I can't agree with you on this one based on your stated objections.

woppenhe: Your computer experience notwithstanding, your arguments are personal preferences - not design flaws. While you may prefer voice over display, many of us prefer the opposite or both at the same time. That is, use voice for turn guidance and command inputs, while GLANCING at the map when safe to do so. I, for one, often refer to the map display (when safe). Just bcz. you prefer it otherwise, doesn't make it a flaw.

And I'm not sure what "system informational displays" you are referring to that the nav system robs you of.
    (gee, this is the best debate we've had around here for a while)
    In all of the years you drove without the benefit of nav, how often did you carefully fold a map so it would be "at hand" and handy for use if need be?

Now listen you pilots, I said DRIVE not fly!

And I mean YOU, the driver, not your navigator/companion.

I'm not saying the nav map isn't usefull, but referring to it while driving, especially for an (rapidly?)upcoming decision point, seems overly hazardous.

If I'm coming up on an intersection, directional decision point, and I don't quite understand what the voice prompting has said, I'm going to commit to one direction or the other, and then find a place to pull over and sort things out.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    wwest - What does IMMHO mean?

I also am I pilot and must admit, I cheat with the GPS all the time.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Do you guys have any additional info on the 360hp
    5.0L LS500 that is coming out soon?
    I would bet that he means "in my most humble opinion".

(But I still disagree with him)
    ww, do you honestly feel that a driver cannot safely glance at the enlarged "upcoming turn" display on the nav screen after hearing the voice announcement, given reasonable traffic conditions of course? I've done it often and never been compromised by it. And it has little, if anything, to do with flying and distracted attention training. It's just not that hard or dangerous for many people to do safely. I suppose you never glance away to do all that fiddling with the defog and a/c buttons or to adjust the radio, etc.

C'mon ww, you know you do. Everyone has their limits, of course, and should recognize them. I just don't like being forced to accept the limits of the lowest common denominator all the time. We can't always legislate for the incompetent.

What you suggest as hazardous can also be safely done. It's a decision. I salute yours to pull over and would do so also if there were any doubt or the circumstances warranted - but often this is not necessary. Simple as that. Of course, IMMHO. :)
    darn - I thought the h stood for honest.
    Many, or many most, private pilots fly with a carefully folded "map" (map used generically)nearby. But then if they are forced to make a quick directional decision its clearly their own fault.

That lowest common denominator...

Those are the people that kill the rest of us who got to be old codgers by being conservative drivers.

I'll accept the restrictions in favor of living longer.
    is overated :) I work in the pharmaceutical profession and while living longer is something many people desire, today's medicine make quality of life at such old age highly suspect... I could write a thesis on this, but back to the LS and Nav and the fear that some incompetent drivers with the Nav may endanger their lives and those of others...

wwest wrote: "If I'm coming up on an intersection, directional decision point, and I don't quite understand what the voice prompting has said, I'm going to commit to one direction or the other, and then find a place to pull over and sort things out"

The Nav's voice activated directions are very clear and concise. You get advance notice of an upcoming turn or freeway, could be up to 1 mile ahead. How could anyone be fuzzy on this ? And if you must glance at the screen, this should not take that much time, and still be a safe driver. I suppose many of us drive conservatively enough to maintain a safe driving distance from the cars ahead. It is all about driving habits, imo.

Given the choice with/without NAV, and based on my personal experience,I'd choose to have the NAV. I am just not good with "road maps" anyway you define it. For people like me, the Nav is just what the doctor ordered.

Good debate tho'
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    I am with wwest on this one. Whether you are trying to read a paper map or "glancing" at the screen while driving, you are distracted and it increases the likelihood of a wreck, plain and simple. Now, do I occasionally fiddle with the CD player or nosh while driving? Yes. Is this a distraction? Yes. Should I do it? Probably not. Does that mean that there is no cost (to the driver's attention to the road) when using the nav system while underway? Nope. And adding all of the other "features" to the nav interface (stereo, hvac, etc) just increases the likelihood that the system is going to kill somebody (or somebodies). And given the heft and structural design of the LS, it may well be the OTHER guy who meets his maker. The audible signals should be enough.
  • whybuy1whybuy1 Member Posts: 43
    All those worried about distractions have two choices: buy the car stripped of options or buy the UL and have their kids control the radio from the back seat and the laser control the speed. The LS430 is not the car for a modern-day Thoreau.
    Whether or not to buy the nav, or even a fully loaded up LS430, but the extremely poor ergonomics, overall, of the nav design. In many cases there are workarounds, such as simply opening the nav DVD door when you're not using it. Eliminates the "I agree" and the default mode of the moving map display.

And when I do use it I can turn the display off (I do) and rely on the voice prompting (what idiot decided I needed a voice message to "continue on straight ahead on I205 at the next intersection"?).

Personally I won't buy another one with this intrusive mode of operation.
    We could stretch the concept of distractions ad infinitum in this debate. Why stop at the Nav, how about cell phones, pagers that go off while driving, the radio controls, the CD player, the climate control, the cruise control, etc....I mean, the argument for distraction is endless; one solution was offered by whybuy1: everyone drives a stripped model with no gadgets that can distract the driver on it. Really ? How about billboards on the freeways, how about road signs that litter our roads...how about occassional checking of your speed to be sure you are not over the posted limit, your fuel gauge, while driving especially if you are running low, etc.... Do you glance at these while driving ? Obviously if the argument about glancing at the Nav screen is distracting (and I agree it is), then the very act of driving from point A to point B, with the things we have to contend with on the roads today provide plenty of distractions to every driver.

Where would we stop ? Only Amishes dont have to worry about many of these mechanical objects !

Ergonomics of the dashboard layout and access to controls can certainly be improved on every car out there. None is perfect ! Wheel-controls for some of these certainly help reduce distractive actions while driving. Like wwest, one can turn off the display and listen to the voice commands, annoying as it may be...
    "Passive" distractions, like billboards.
    "Active" distractions, cell phones, pagers, etc.
    "intrusive" distractions, being "forced" to activate a display in order to access a function integral to the vehicle's operation.
    "...being "forced" to activate a display in order to access a function integral to the vehicle's operation."

For example?
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    To: Carfan4sure
    I have an 02 LS430 with Custom Lux Pkg (got it in Feb) and would be glad to share my experience with the options:
    1. The NAV - if you live in a large city (I live in LA) the NAV works pretty well...it's not perfect, but it has been very useful when trying to find places that I was unfamiliar. At first I thought it would be just a wasted gimmick, (but being a guy who would never dream of asking for directions), I really found it useful and intuitive (providing you take the time to READ the instructions).
    2. A/C Seats - work great in hot weather, you can really feel it. Very quiet operation. Yes, you can hear them working ever so slightly if you're not moving. You really have to listen carefully to hear them. I usually listen to music while driving (radio or CD) so I never hear the a/c seats.
    3. Auto Door closers - A nice gimmick. You never have to worry about a door being ajar.
    4. Sound System - Amazing. Love it. Lots has been written in previous posts. Also, I've read lots of professional reviews and everyone seems to agree that it is one of the best car sound system out there (if not THE best). But check it out for yourself. Take a test drive and bring a CD with you.
    5. Park Assist - Excellent for parking. Use it all the time. You never have to worry about "kissing" the car in front/behind you.
    6. Radar Cruise Control - Takes some getting used to. As others pointed out, I don't use it in heavy traffic. If someone cuts in front of you, don't wait for the cruise to take over, hit the break yourself. The cruise will usually downshift or apply some breaking action, but it may not be enough. After you use it a few times, you'll get used to it and get to know it's capabilities. One of the nice features it has is that you can modify the sensitivity (low/med/high) to detecting the car in front of you. A few posts back someone did a nice job detailing some of the things to watch for...it was consistent with my observations as well.
    7. Headlight washers - useless. I live in LA, what can I say...It's always nice here. Decide for yourself.
    8. Rear sun shade - A nice feature to keep the car cool. I also bought a front sun shade.
    9. Upgraded leather seats - I thought the regular seats were nice. These are even nicer.
    I think there are a few other little features that the Custom has, but I think I hit on the major ones.

Bottom line: I thought the Custom Lux had a nice pkg. of options for what I needed. The Utra has a few extra dodads (variable suspension and back seat comfort controls), but I never sit in the back, so all those extras do me no good. The custom had all the nice extras that I found to be useful. Hope this helps add some perspective. Good luck!! Write back and let us know what you decided and why. Might be helpful to someone else who is looking. Regards...Jeff
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    In the LS430, if you don't tap "I agree", the map does not come up, and you cannot use the Nav system.

Also, if you push "Option", "Display", and then "Off", the Nav display goes off and stays off, even after you turn the car off and back on again. In other words, this totally disables the Nav, including the disclaimer screen (analogous to your opening the DVD door, but much easier).
  • brtmdbrtmd Member Posts: 54
    I guess the 2003s must be arriving as mine arrived on the truck yesterday. Hope to pick it up tonight if I have time. I will make a post if there is anything particularly interesting--I am personally interested to see if the "climate control seats" now included with the ML/Nav option are the heated/cooled seats in the UL and CL options (will I have perforated light charcoal leather?). I can't wait to be annoyed by the "I agree" screen!
    I hope you all have a peaceful September 11, 2002. Have some good family time today.
  • stlouisslimstlouisslim Member Posts: 21
    carfan4sure: I don't find the laser cruise control scary, you just have to know its quirks. If someone cuts in front of you, one of two things will happen: If he is going faster than you are (but within its set distance) essentially nothing happens. The car slows momentarily and then lets him go. If he's going slower than you, the system sounds an insistant chime, lets off the throttle and downshitfs (I think to third, spiking the rpm to 4000). If its really tight, the car brakes, but not hard. The chime is supposed to alert you to take evasive action. All these are good things. The irritating part is if you are on a sharp curve to the left, about to pass a car who is in the right lane, the system can lock on to the guy you are trying to pass and slow down. This really bugs the guy behind you, too, who is thinking that he will follow you around the slower traffic. When this happens I just hit the accelerator and power around it. But you can also cancel the laser easily by just flipping the control handle inward. When you do that, it operates like a conventional cruise control and accelerates to and maintains your set speed.

In the other situation, when you are simply approaching a slower moving car from the rear, the system gently backs off and assumes it's set distance. The effect is almost un-noticeable.

As for the seat A/C fans, remember that this is a very quite car. So quite that you cannot hear your own engine. When you start the car, the only way you know when to let loose of the starter is when you see the tachometer wand come off of zero. But you can hear a background whir. Actually, they are most noticeable when you turn them down and the whir goes away. They aren't annoyingly noisey, but at idle with the audio system off, they are the most significant sound in the car.

Since you asked: my car is black, inside and out. With the gold trim, Detata chromes and sunshades, it looks like a Japanese Mafia Staff Car.
    Picked it up last evening. Had a very nice 50 mile drive back home . . .EXCEPT for a rock chip in the windshield from an 18 wheeler that blew by me. Oh well, life goes on (can't wait to call my insurance guy).

No earthshaking news, although I was pleasantly surprised to find that the "intuitive parking assist" is now included in the ML/Nav package. I don't believe the Lexus web site shows this inclusion.

My light charcoal seats do have perforated leather (because of the climate control seats now being part of the package).

Nav DVD is version "02.1" (I think) and included "points of interest" info that the salesman had not seen included before, so he felt it must be a very recent version.

Liked the feel of the Euro suspension--easily noticeable differences and a good choice for my tastes.
  • litovitzlitovitz Member Posts: 2
    The 03 LS430 has 17 inch tires. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the 17inch over the 16inch? The sales person clearly had no idea.
    Less sidewall height, less sidewall squirm, better handling.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Disadvantage (for me)-harder ride. My wife's LS400 with 16" tires has a more comfortable ride than my LS430 with air and 17" tires.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    As promised -
    Options (Hard button on dash)
    Information
    System transition
    Select On of Off

Keep your audio, climate or other screens as long as you like by selecting off.
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    although the ls430 ran as expected, it is still a long way. The map is handy if you are in doubt, and I find the radar*laser* is really handy in heavy traffic, if you just do not want to fight for every car length. Just get over a lane or so and pay attention, but don`t push it until the traffic eases up. Tony
  • fabtfabt Member Posts: 22
    My understanding is the 17" tires could be a little noiser than the 16", as well as not having as long a life (potentially under 20,000 miles.) At least that's what is says in the dealer brochure for the 2001 LS430 that I bought two years ago.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I don't find the 17" tires to be noisy, and I am sensitive to road noise. I have about 24000 miles on them now, and they look like they have a lot of miles left in them.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    The 16 inch wheels describe as being ugly is an opinion and not a fact. Any one in the Maryland area who would like to trade their "ugly" stock sixteen inch wheels for my 17 inch ones,please know that I'm ready for a trade.

I'm a fast and maybe an agressive driver. I'm not adversed to cornering hard. My wive's 98 LS400 with the Bridgestone 16 inch Turanza LS-H tires allow me to do all of that because of their UTGQ 400 AA A rating. Now if I was to enter the racing circuit, the 17 inch wheels with Michein Pilot Sport A/S (W rating & UTQG AA A) or the summer tire from Bridgestone (Potenza S-03)would be the tires of choice and if I'm unable to trade my wheels by the time the E33's wear out I will probably go with the Pilot Sport.

I had anticipated that my ultra with the air suspension would give an even more comfortable and softer ride than my 11 year old 90 LS400. It didn't happen and primarily because of the 17 inch wheels.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Wondering if any of you were ex S500 owners and care to share your experience driving (better yet, living with) both vehicles for a time.

I am in the "thinking process" of going with a 2004 Ls430 when my 2001 S500 lease is over. I have only driven the Ls430 a couple of times at a dealership, and each time I had been impressed on how much more isolation the Ls was over the S. I am not an aggressive driver and have a young child with me most of the time, so the sporty features of my S500 with adaptive body control never gets any use. After 2 years, I really hate the noise from interior panels of my S500, and frankly I don't like the idea of covering the noise with loud music.

Any thoughts is appreciated!

Paul
  • whybuy1whybuy1 Member Posts: 43
    This is not a direct answer to your question. My experience with the LS430 is favorable, but I have had two rattles. One was a rattle in the trunk. The dealer fixed it by adjusting the way the trunk liner was attached. I now have an intermittent rattle in the front passenger window. It only happens with the car is warming up. I'll take that one to the dealer when the rattle is more consistent. My uncle's S500 is a very quiet car. My point is that these cars are so quiet that their owners become sensitive to noises that would not be issues in other cars. Rattles are bound to happen if you own one for a few years. To me the big question is whether the dealer will fix them. I'd be interested in learning about your experience with your MB dealer.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    You have to consider two different factors-the size and the composition. When the LS430 was introduced,two different "17 tire options were offered. you could get a "European" suspension or just some "17 wheels(which were quite handsome).
    the most meaningful figure is the aspect ratio-usually between 40 and 55 on modern sedans. A shorter sidewall(40 or so)will give more responsive steering(less squirm in the tire)but it will also give a rockier ride and increase the chance of various rattles intruding.
    But an all weather tire can be composed in a way to decrease wear and noise and harshness. This same modification will also decrease the sporty responsiveness(a good trade off,IMO)of the car.

So a larger all weather tire is a fine choice in a luxury car,but stiffer sport suspensions and sport tires can often be a mistake.