Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    I have found out that the way polarized sunglasses work is that they absorb horizontally polarized light and pass vertically polarized light. The idea is that sunlight, which is non-polarized, becomes partly polarized when it is reflected off of any flat surface, the direction of polarization being parallel to the reflecting surface. Since most of the brightness that sunglasses are supposed to reduce is reflected off horizontal surfaces (roads, standing water, car trunks, etc.), they make sunglasses horizontally polarized.

Now, apparently the nav display screen emits polarized light. Why, I don't know. Must be something about the process used to generate the light. My cell phone's screen is also polarized. When I rotate it while wearing the sunglasses, it is brightest when vertical, and totally dark when held horizontally. This turns out to be the right design, since the phone is meant to be held vertically. Similarly, one would think that Lexus would use a vertically polarized nav screen (if polarization is required), but unfortunately they don't.

By rotating my head, or just the glasses in front of my eye, I have found that the nav screen is polarized at a 45 degree angle counter-clockwise from the vertical. So you have to turn your head 45 degrees to the left, while simultaneously leaning over to the right to be in front of the nav display. Could it be that Lexus designed it this way because in Japan, where they drive on the left side of the road and the driver sits on the right, he typically leans left to be in front of the nav – and they didn't think to change it for the US market?
  • finclgurufinclguru Member Posts: 3
    I just got a call from customer assurance who assured me that seat belts are not guaranteed for life by Lexus. Since I told her I didn't relish paying list price for the wrong color belts that will "junk up" my interior she said she'd get back to me.
    Finclguru
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I believe the effect that you are seeing is due to having a polarized filter on top of (or built into) the NAV and cell phone displays, not a case of emitting polarized light. If they didn't do this it would be difficult or impossible to see the display. When two such filters are present (built-in and sunglasses)the amount of light that is able to pass through these types of filters drops off with the angle between the polarizing orientations, i.e. 90 degrees apart, almost no light passes through, parallel (0 deg.) very little additional loss. The fact that the NAV screen is oriented at 45 deg to the vertical is curious. Perhaps most sunglasses are either 0 or 90, and having the screen at 45 keeps a total blackout from happening.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    How did I know that wwest would have the goods on this problem. Thanks Doc!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Did somebody use my name in vain?

I don't remember weighting in on this one...
    I wish you would (weigh in on this polarization question).

Renny
    Many years ago when the Tektronix 611 storage tube was "IT" for graphics displays a circular polarized faceplate was used to enhance its rather poor contrast for brightly lit areas.

So I wouldnt be at all surprised if the faceplate on the nav display is polarized in some manner for the same reasons.
  • zadatedzadated Member Posts: 2
    I believe the following is true. I hope what I say helps the discussion. The polarized light is fundamental to the operation of an LCD (liquid crystal display). Normal light enters the back of the screen strikes a polarizer sheet which is polarized at 45 degrees to the vertical. This light then passes through liquid crystal and then must pass through a second polarizer at the output side (the side nearest the viewer). This second polarizer sheet is has a plane of polarization perpendicular to the first sheet. Thus normally no light passes through. If however an electric field is applied to the liquid crystal its electroptic properites change and the plane of the polarized light entering the crystal is rotated 90 degrees by the time it exits the crystal and therefore this light can pass through the second polarizer. Thus the light is "switched" on in the region of that liquid crystal. Each pixel in an LCD screen is controlled by a separate electric field that makes the "dots" of the "picture".
    I apologize for being long winded on this issue.
    My mistake. When I saw the technical data flowing, my brain apparently did a synaptic short circuit around my eyes and concluded that Prof. West must be at work! Turns out we have a lot of neurons firing on this board!
    source of inforamtion...
    ... to keep this board from self-extinguishing.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Not much to say with a car that is just this reliable and carefree. Reminds me of old Timex and Maytag commercials - the just never run down or need repair.
  • mrwheelermrwheeler Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 LS 430 last June from Sterling McCall in Houston. I purchased the base model for what I believe was a very good price from the Internet sales Coordinator - Richard Joseph. The LS is excellent. I had also purchased a ES300 back in 1997 from Sterling McCall.

My question is: The car came with Yokohama Y390R P225/60R16 97H tires rated at treadwear 160, Traction A, Temperature A. I have not been able to find this tire in the Houston area or on Yokohama's internet site. Since the wear rating is low I will need to replace the tires soon. I would prefer all season tire since we get a lot of rain in Houston.

1. What tires do the board members have on their LS430 as OE and if replaced - what replacement tires did they buy?
    2. If I buy 17 inch wheels, what size and tire are best?

Thanks for any information.
    MRWheeler
  • whybuy1whybuy1 Member Posts: 43
    For your 17" wheel question:
    I purchased Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires for my 2001 LS430. The original tires were Dunlop SP Sports. I have had good experience with Michelins in the past. The Dunlops are quieter and the reason is obvious if you compare the tread pattern. The Dunlops will last 30,000 miles while the Michelins will last over 40,000 miles. The Michelin tires have more aggressive siping, which is supposed make them a better tire in the rain. There seems to be a trade-off between noise and wet pavement performance. The siping on the Michelins are very narrow grooves rather than cuts, so I'm using the term siping loosely.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    My LS430 came with Bridgestone Turanza tires on the factory 17 inch wheels. I replaced them after about 27,000 miles with the same type of tire. To me, these are excellent tires. They are quiet and smooth riding. Can't speak to the issue of wet traction, since we get so little rain here in Tucson!
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Vcheng ....

Many thanks for the post containing the link on ClubLexus of the technical settings available. In particular, I was elated to see that the dealer can disable the Day Running Lamps (DRL) on LS430s and SC430s.

I personally hate those damn things!

I can't believe that the dealers do not let you know about it other than I assume they don't since customers requesting changes would mean more work at sale time. Although I have a real problem with the BMW 7-series BMW has the same type of setting but their default is OFF unless the customer wants it on. However, BMW dealers quite often tell new customers about the option.

Thanks again.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    You are very welcome. Guess what, I hate the DRLs too, but around my town mine is the only one with them off. I had a few other changes done too.

Just today I had the central part of the dashboard open to look for a pesky oh so subtle rattle that was irritating to say the least. Now it is pindrop silent, and I am happy. Nothing like a job well done, and these days that usually means doing it yourself.

Good bunch of people over at ClubLexus, but I post mostly here only.

I do have access to the full service manual set for the 2003 LS430, so if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Once again, thank you for posting back.
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    vcheng - Thank you.

I am now anxiously awaiting the 2004 LS - personally hoping for a sleeker form and significantly more power. That will hopefully keep me from considering or toying with a S600 to possible replace my LS.
  • tisliztisliz Member Posts: 13
    I parked my 03LS on a slight grade with the ignition on and the transmission in park while I brushed the snow off the car. When I opened the door to get in, the car rolled back 12-15 inches. By the time I got inside it had stopped rolling; I double checked the transmission lever to be sure it was in park and it was. Then I got out to be sure it had really rolled and I could see the tread marks in front of the tires where the original position was. There were tread marks in the snow, not bare concrete or a smooth track like the car had merely slid on the snow. Has anyone had this problem or recall hearing that this is a problem with the LS430?
    The parking brake locks the rear driveline at the transmission tailshaft.

In your case what likely happened is that one wheel rotated in a forward direction allowing the opposite wheel (undoubtedly the one with the most traction) to roll in the opposite direction.

Sorry, nature of the beast, rear diff'l, that is.

One of the few falacies in the advice not to use the emergency brake in the wintertime for fear it will freeze into position...IT WILL!
  • docladocla Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone heard if the 2004 LS 430 is going to look different from the 2003?. What kind of changes are anticipated? When will it be out?
    The dealer is saying no major changes for 2004 is that true?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Funny this topic should be brought up. I was going to write about this.

I was at the Chicago Auto Show and was able to talk with a Lexus rep (not a salesman, a corporate guy from Lexus' Midwest region).

He said the 2004 LS, due out in the fall, will have revised front and rear styling and 18" wheels on the outside.

On the inside, a revised dashboard, new wood selections and a "big number" of new comfort and convenience interior options will be offered.

He also said the car would have a "smart" key, which isn't really a key, similar to what Mercedes has.

I wanted to ask him more to find out about the specific new features and if the engine would change, but he had to go and I did not have time to return to the Lexus display.
    Well, the folks at Auto Spies either have a great pipeline for info, or they will be eating MAJOR crow in a few months. Here is what they have to say:

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000128910.cfm

Sounds very interesting
  • tisliztisliz Member Posts: 13
    Your answer about the car rolling when in park leads me to believe that you are addressing the "emergency brake" being engaged. It was not. I only had the transmission in park. Does this affect your answer in any way? Should I be using the emergency brake routinely or in any specific situation?

By the way, before I read your answer this morning I called the Lexus service dept. at the dealership and the guy told me my couldn't have rolled and hung up on me. I had to call back and got someone else and they will "check" it for me, but I could tell they were skeptical.
    With the tailshaft locked via the parking brake the rear diff'l will still allow the rear wheels to turn, abet never in the same direction. My guess is that the wheel/tire with the least traction turned in a forward direction allowing the wheel with greater traction to roll backwards with the car.

Sorry about confusing matters by throwing in the emergency brake issue. It is normally not a good idea to use it during colder weather due to the fact that it might freeze in place. In your case it would have helped had you applied it once you started the car, not overnight.
    An interesting press release was distributed today announcing Toyota will reorganize its sales channels in Japan and add Lexus for the first time, with 150 showrooms by 2005.

Toyota said this, combined with Lexus sales in 35 countries, will help it create a new global premium brand for the 21st century.

Lexus models have always been sold in Japan under the Toyota name, although in separate, upscale dealers from other Toyota models.
  • macgramacgra Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 LS430 with 8,000 miles.I let this car sit in Florida garage for six hot months.When I returned tires had only 20 lbs. or so.It has slight vibration when driving from the flat spots.I've tried overinflating and ran that way for some miles but still have slight vibration now after 500 miles.Any ideas? Will it go away or do I have to replace them.Thanks for any advice.
    Seek out a Hunter GSP9700 road force balancing machine and have the tires re-indexed to less than 10 lbs variation.

If that doesn't work, you may be looking at a new set of tires, but others may have different suggestions.
  • medialexusmedialexus Member Posts: 2
    I noticed in one of your recent posts, #3912, that you were able to open the center dash of a LS430. Did you hae detailed instructions on how to do this? I would love to see a web site with pictures / instructions for a 98 LS400. I also have a small rattle that I'm trying to find.
    I have a 2003 LS430, so my instructions would not apply to your car. I would suggest looking at clublexus.com where people have opened up LS400 dashboards. It is a fairly straightforward thing to do, one just has to be careful about making any scratches etc.
  • medialexusmedialexus Member Posts: 2
    I've already checked ClubLexus. Seems like that have information for the GS cars but not for LS. I was wondering where you found your instructions for the LS 430? Perhaps I could find LS 400 instructions from the same place(?)
    ...is actually a risky knack to open things up! I do have access to a service manual that I can consult if I get stuck, but there was nothing in the dash disassembly that required it.

Basically, (and I think the LS400 is the same) is a three tier assembly that one starts to unlock from the bottom to the top: first the trim peice next to the shift console, then the middle tier, and finallt the nav screen at the top.
  • jwilkersonjwilkerson Member Posts: 15
    I have been a Mercedes Benz owner for 26 years, and plan to sell my 2001 CL 500 Coupe to buy a 2004 LS 430. My dealership does not care.

For the first time in a decade, my new MB has problems. The car did not start the day I picked it up at the dealership. To this day, windows work some of the time, and stay down. This creates a chill to the driver in the midst of winter. Shocks flatten out, and must be pumped up to drive if the car sits for a few days. Too much technology to go wrong. I have taken it back for repairs 10 times. They keep it for days at a time trying to learn from the manufacturers mistakes. MB today is certainly not your father's car builder. What happened?

To my point, I have been looking at the LS 430. Drove a few, like them. I realize, they are not a sport vehicle. As we age, comfort takes the place of speed, and, in this case, reliability comes clearly into focus.

From this forum, I understand there will be "remarkable" changes in the 2004 model. Consequently, I am going to stall my purchase until the 04 comes out and I can take a look for myself.

Any thoughts on all this, and knowledge of the new design of the LS 430 for 2004 would be genuinely appreciated. Many thanks for your time and opinions.
    I posted this a few days ago, but I'll repost here since you must not have seen it:

I was at the Chicago Auto Show and was able to talk with a Lexus rep (not a salesman, a corporate guy from Lexus' Midwest region).

He said the 2004 LS, due out in the fall, will have revised front and rear styling and 18" wheels on the outside.

On the inside, a revised dashboard, new wood selections and a "big number" of new comfort and convenience interior options will be offered.

He also said the car would have a "smart" key, which isn't really a key, similar to what Mercedes has.

I wanted to ask him more to find out about the specific new features and if the engine would change, but he had to go and I did not have time to return to the Lexus display.
    Your information from the Lexus rep is much the same data that I have been getting from various sources. Seems this will be a major "skin" change for the LS, although the platform will remain much the same. HP may go up with a tweek. The quality is superior to the MB S Class today. I have been all over my MB's for the past 26 years, and they simply do not produce the quality of craftsmanship as in the past.

My CL 500 had damage to the trunk deck from the factory. They tried to align the hinges to make it fit and it was delivered with cracked plastic in the trunk drip lanes. Had to sand filler out to make the lid fit properly. So much for great workmanship from Germany today. The dealer seems to say, "Well, what do you want for a $93K base price car?"

So far, I am very impressed with Lexus. They have come a long way and certainly provide much more for the price than an S car.

Please let me know if you learn of more information relating to the 2004 LS. Many thanks.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    J;
      Go to clublexus.com they have a thread there that discusses the 04 LS 430. Also check autospies.com as they also have info on the 04's.
      I personally have an 03 LS 430 Ultra Lux and have had "0" problems. Smooth, quiet and passengers love it. Price wise I paid 68K which includes Ultra Lux package, chrome wheels, gold package, wheel locks and trunk mat. I'm sure you can beat this price now. I live in the SE and dealer's are pretty tight.
      I also purchased an 03 SC 430 and likewise have ahd "0" problems.
      Lexus makes a fine automobile, I'm sure you will be well pleased.
    Ron
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    I have owned lexus cars for a long time now, and I have had one problem with each car, It has been fixed and the service is great. My wife baught a clk convertable, and it is a very nice car. Hopefully she will not have any problems, but if she does I will give a report. I really feel for you having such an awful experience with your very expensive Mercedes. I just wonder about the lemmon laws where you are, and what about just hiring lawyer to represent you? I am sure you would never be treated like that at Lexus, and if for some reason this was to happen to me I would take my own advice. Good luck Tony
  • aklein2aklein2 Member Posts: 18
    I've had my new LS 430 for about a month in Northern VA. We've had some snow, to put it mildly. My Dunlop Sport 270s (17") seemed fine when it's dry, but were useless and frightening in the snow. What should I get? The Michelin Pilot Sport AS or something else? (I hear the Michelins are noisy, but way better in weather.)
  • aklein2aklein2 Member Posts: 18
    Now that I've done a little research, I see that my dealer apparently failed to tell the factory when the car was being built that it ha to be equipped with all-season tires -- getting me the Dunlop Sport 270s, which are summer tires. Would have been nice if they had checked with me ot told me that this was happening. What do you think? Should the cost of replacing them be on the dealer? Who in his right mind would have summer tires for a car resident in the DC area? Still interested in views whether the Michelin Sport A/S tires are the ones to get. Thanks!
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    I would get dedicated snow tires for your Lexus -- that's what I did for my LS (Blizzaks). I had them changed and remounted each year but when I get my next LS, I will probably put the snows on their own wheels. The cost of the wheels and mounting was far less than my insurance deductible that would be spent on one winter collision. All season tires might be nice on a front wheel drive vehicle and maybe even as brand new LS tires on their first winter but well before the LS tires need to be replaced, they are just not good enough for winter driving here in the midwest.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    As I remember, when I got my 2001 the summer tires were the "standard" equipment, and all seasons were a no cost option (I got the standard wheels). I was fortunate that the dealer had exactly the color/options car I wanted arriving in a few days and it also included the all season tires. Is this still the case?
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    I replaced the Turanza summer tires with the Michelin Sport A/S in October. I live in Columbia, MD, and have found the traction very good in snow (perhaps the traction in snow would not be quite as good as dedicated winter tires). They are absolutely the best tires I have ever used. They take corners faster than I will and are great in wet weather. Check out Costco for a good price (special order).
  • jerryh6jerryh6 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 LS with Dunlop Sport 4000's. Looking for better grip and less noise. I was thinking of Dunlop Sport 5000 or Michelin Pilot A/S. Please help.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    According to one dealership in NYC this morning, the 2004 LS will have no major changes over 2003, and should be here by end of September.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I would tend to doubt that a lot. My dealer already told me there will be changes to the sheet metal (but not to the chassis - that will come in 2006 or 2007) in 2004 with - at a minimum - a redesigned front-end. Automobile mag has alreaduy said there will be a 360hp sport edition in 2004 in an issue several months back. Whether or not autospies is accurate or not with a more radical re-design remains to be seen. But Lexus has made major improvements to the LS in 95, 98 and of course with the re-design in 2001. They will certainly make a major improvement again in 2004.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    I hope you are right, as I don't want to buy a new LS only to have a fresh one out the very next year.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I'm on the 3 year cycle since 95 - so they better be staying with the program. For 2004 I'm eyeing the GX suv, re-upping on a new LS and I've got to get my hands on the SC. I don't think I will go anywhere else as my Lexus cars and trucks have been flawless and the dealer experience is first class.

Good luck in whatever car you go with.
  • docladocla Member Posts: 15
    I wonder when would lexus announce if there are going to be major changes for the LS for 2004. They always have minor changes every year however I doubt the dealers will tell about major changes now even if they know. Has anybody come across information about the 2004 LS besides what is mentioned on autospies?
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Hello everyone, I've been waiting for the MB E 4matic to come out but I'm getting turned off by all the complaints about quality. So, I've been visiting this LS site for a week or so and most people seem really happy with their cars. Is there any chance Lexus will come out with an AWD car soon? Or, is the LS good in the snow? The car would be for my wife and we live in New England.

Thanks