Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Options
    tjm1198tjm1198 Member Posts: 10
    So you think that nothing is indeed wrong w/ the Lexus Link? I don't even use the system at all it just came as a part of the car that i got at the dealer. Also does anyone else have the "invisible" bra treatment on their LS430? If so what do you think of it? Does it work in whatever climate you are in and actually protect against dings and scratches? Mine has helped no doubt but I am starting to see the lines where it was installed and against my black paint it looks sort of tacky. Also anyone w/ jet black paint ever notice a dulling in the paint?
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Right, we think there is nothing wrong with your Lexus Link. If the warning doesn't come back, it means that your backup "battery" (probably just a capacitor) has been recharged and all is well again.

About your bra I don't know.
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    At 25k miles i got routine service and the service manager says i need new tires (i knew that) and brakes. it's a lease which goes back next december.
    I was going to get continental tires (lease expensive) but the brakes???? with a lease am i required to get that done at lexus or can i go to a licensed brakes place or have my mechanic do it. I'm somewhat surprised that i need new brakes so soon, i'd figure at least 40k miles before replacing. When i leased this i thought it had the 16" all season tires, when i looked they are the 17" tires, which are more expensive and on differenct rims (aren't they) Need some advice. I have a local tire store that i have gotten all my tires done, maybe they can get my brakes done too, but not sure since it's a lease and i don't want any problems at return.
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I am not a car expert by any means,but needing new tires after only 25K miles seems like a stretch to me. Is that the normal life for those tires? As for the new brakes, again, SO SOON? Something doesn't seem right about this.
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Didn't replace either on my car until 42k miles. Even then I could have gone further but since I'll put another 25k mile on it before the lease ends it made sense to do both sooner rather than later. I've never replaced tires or brakes on the more typical 3 year 36k mile leases in the past.
  • Options
    these are i guess summer or sport tires, they have about 1/8th inch left. when i found out they were the 17" ones i sighed because sport tires don't last as long, the brake issue i will call lexus (just serviced my ls friday this was a voice mail) i agree that 25k miles on brakes is lousy, my mercedes needed them at 42k and MB are soft and replaced more than others,

But--if i did the brakes myself or my mechanic do you think it affects the lease, the lease shouldn't require me to use lexus dealer?????
  • Options
    stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Copied from Lexus LS Owners Photo Gallery - Can any of the group help this guy out?

LS400 tire sizes by kevins4 Apr 07, 2003 (2:42 am)
    Hello, I have a 95 Ls400 which I just purchased with 38,000 miles on it. I find the factory rims and tires boring. I have purchased a set of 18x8.5 rims. I want to put 245/40/18 on the front and 255/45/18 on the rear. My question is are there other people running two different sizes as in the height part.( ie 40 and 45.)I've had mixed comments about this as your tire height is different and will send wacky messages to the computer, especially regarding the ABS, and also the traction control, even though I can turn the trac. control off. I'm concerned about the ABS.If there are other people running diff. combinations I would like to hear from you or even from anyone who can comment on this. Thank you in advance Kevin.
  • Options
    You absolutely do NOT need to have the Lexus dealer install new brakes. Ordinary maintenace items like brakes are fine to get done anywhere. On the other hand I would hesitate to get more sophisticated electronic type of work done anywhere but at a Lexus dealer. But brakes, tires and the like are no brainers. Usually at lease end, the dealer will give the car a cursory look if you are leasing anew. If you are turning it in and not renewing they may look a bit closer at things, but on things like brakes they will only bother you if those brake pads are nearly worn out.
  • Options
    nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    look at this The picture is gorgeous. What does this portend for the new LS?

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=01101720

(08:30 April 02, 2003)
    Lexus to unveil all-wheel-drive concept utility vehicle at New York auto show

Lexus will unveil its own concept vehicle, the HPX, at the New York Auto Show.

Though development details and specifications are slim, the all-wheel-drive concept utility vehicle is touted by Lexus officials as a “high-performance crossover,” thus the HPX moniker.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But then I guess it would probably have to. How many different ways could such a vehicle look?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    A chopped top Hudson out of the fifties.
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    Picture looked like a C230 Kompressor sport.

Merc1 where are you ? Here is another Lexus copy of the Merc fine line of innovative designs....

Not !
  • Options
    I'm with you. it's a great looking vehicle to me and it blows away the Infiniti FX. It probably does have some of the restyling cues supposedly due on the 2004 LS. I wonder if it will have 6cyl and 8 cyl options.

I may have to re-think my lease renewals next year. I was going to do an LS, GX and SC. I do hope Lexus comes with an AWD LS. I need two AWD's in my family. This winter is also shaping my thoughts on that. It must have snowed more than 20 times and we had another 6-7 inches of snow on Monday here in central NJ. It was a very strange feeling to be using a snow blower on my driveway in broad daylight at 7:30 in the evening.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    To shed some more information on the HPX, it is coming to market in about one year as a crossover based on the next-generation GS, also due in one year. It has been under development for some time now since Lexus wants a crossover with more sport than is offered by either the RX or GX. Whether or not the concept car in NY is the actual car remains to be seen, but remember the GS and RX "concepts" from 1997 turned out to be the real things.

Also, the latest rumor circulating at my dealer is that the new GS will be AWD drive only; it wil not be an option. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    CasterCaster Member Posts: 6
    So my dad gets this car in 1990, some new luxury car company called Lexus. He's excited about it, looks impressive on the road. Little did he know he was driving one of the best cars ever to be built. I don't think he ever expected to be driving the same car thirteen years later. He is as excited now as the day he got the car, primarily because he is about 1,000 miles away from 300,000. The guys at our local Lexus dealer love him. They told him that his year and the '89 were magical years because everything was hand made (don't know if that is true or not). They also said that his car will never die, the engine has a lot left to it. I commute with him every day into New York City and this car still rides perfectly. It has had no major issues except when he plowed into a taxi, his own fault and a whole separate, hilarious story. Anyway, thought you all might like to know that he's throwing this car a party when it hits 300K - and he's not even a car enthusiast.
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Very impressive indeed. Can I ask what has been his maintenance schedule, as far as oil & filer changes and other routine maintenance is concerned? Anything else he's done that would explain how the car still drives like new after almost 300,000 miles?
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My dealer has one for $19,900 and all the service has been done.
    What do you guys think? Should I look into it and what should I pay?
  • Options
    Hey JB,

I can't say he has been the most diligent car owner in terms of oil changes/ filter changes every 3,000 miles. Sometimes he has gone quite a bit past the recommended mileage. I do know that he always takes his car to the Lexus dealers for maintenance. He knows that he pays a little more for the service but they know his car very well and will tell him what needs to be done in terms preventative maintenance. Maybe about once a year he spends around $1,000 for a comprehensive lube/plug job. They say that's about all it needs. The bottom line is that he trusts these guys to give him the straight up answer and they have never steered him wrong. He could easily afford a new Lexus but the dealer has actually told him not bother because he already drives one in perfect shape. I guess a big part of owning a car for a long time is building a good relationship with the people who service it. Sorry I can't tell you he has been the perfect car owner. I suppose he just got lucky with an excellent car and an excellent service dept.
  • Options
    Oh Yeah JB,

Forgot to mention the car has been garaged its entire life. I'm sure that adds to the life.
  • Options
    bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    As a point of reference for you, I just sold my 1996 LS400, 82K miles, air suspension, traction control, heated seats, sunroof, Nakamichi, factory chrome wheels in excellent shape for $14,900 (had 2 buyers).

IMHO, I think they are about $1500 - $2000 over priced.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I was thinking 18.5-18.9K so you are right in that range.
  • Options
    mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    Finally go around to making a CD of my favorite music to play in Mark Levinson CD player. Am using CD player that came installed in my Dell PC--now 2 yrs old. Though CD played well in my PC there was absolutely no sound from the car CD. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Or, is it a wasted effort! Thanks.
  • Options
    I've made about 10 cd's that way and they all play perfectly on my ML. You'd never be able to tell the difference between the sound quality of the ones I made from store bought CD's. A friend of mine who was listening in one day wanted to know where I bought the CD. So I copied it for him from the playlist I made and it played perfectly in his LS430 with the ML as well. Currently I have 16X Digital Research CD's that I bought in Best Buy. Maybe give them a try. They play in all my home CD players as well, even a 7 year old Onkyo I have in my basement.

I know your frustration though as I am having the same problem with DVD-r's playing on my home dvd players - that I've recorded from my Panasonic DMR-HS2. It's frustrating to see the players not be able to read the disc.
  • Options
    stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I have found that the ML will not play CD blanks that have a blue tint. Copies on media that are gold or silver hued work fine. Do not use adhesive paper labels on the CDs. The tolerances in the player unit are very tight, and the added thickness (particularly if there are any wrinkles) will jam the unit and it will have to be removed and disassembled to get the disk out. This happened to me, and they replaced the player. Two weeks later I got my CD back in the mail. Although it was clearly my fault, I wasn't charged.
  • Options
    dustbirddustbird Member Posts: 11
    I'd guess the problem is with the burner, not your ML. I haven't problems with any, even the cheapest blank CD's I've used.

While we're on the subject, any opinions of what song or CD sounds best on the ML?

I'd recommend just about anything from The Crystal Method, but their song, Vapor Trail on the Vegas CD sounds sweet on the ML.
  • Options
    anything
  • Options
    anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    At the New York auto show, Denny Clemens (Lexus' U.S. GM) talked of Lexus going further upscale starting in the next few years. He said the LS 430 "has a lot of potential to move up," and mentioned the need for more products and more variations of existing products.

One concept under development, which has yet to be approved, is a car in the $150,000 range.
  • Options
    jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Caster,

I was intrigued by your post (#4015) about your Dad's 1990 LS400 with 300,00 miles. I know what you mean about the engine and overall drive train. I have a 1998 LS400 with about 150,000 miles and the engine and transmission perform virtually just as they as when they were new. The one thing I have done is exclusively use Mobil1 synthetic oil from the first 1000 miles. I also switched to Mobil1 transmission and rear axle synthetic lubricants. Unfortunately, Lexus dealer make this tough since I have never seen one that carries Mobil1. If they offer a synthetic oil change option it is typically Castrol, which for the last year or two has not been a true synthetic (since a change in formula that utilizes a cheaper process)! I have always had to bring my own Mobil1.

By the way, over a year ago, I saw a 1991 LS400 at the dealership in Austin that had 485,000 miles and had not had any major work required on the engine or transmission. Its owner had also used Mobil1 from when he first purchased the car new. He told me he typically drives close to 50,000 miles a year in Texas and surrounding states for his job.

If operated on Mobil1, Amsoil or other top quality synthetic lubricants I really believe that a LS could exceed 1 million miles! They are amazing vehicles.

However, I am convinced only the rear-wheel drive Lexus sedans are conceivability capable of this performance. Front wheel and four-wheel drive just cannot accomplish this type of longevity.

I suspect that in the future you will also have an LS?
  • Options
    jerryh6jerryh6 Member Posts: 5
    James Fletcher
    I'm wondering,who changed the transmission fluid? I guess they had to flush completely. Does this void the warranty? How often do you change your oil? Do you use 5W30 and does the dealer do it? What you say makes a lot of sense; I wonder why the dealers don't offer Mobil1. Looks as if your Lexus will last a long time.
  • Options
    Re-refined Mobil 1 isn't available for the dealers to use.
  • Options
    KThomp100KThomp100 Member Posts: 62
    Hi all, this will be my 2nd Lexus. Had a 99 GS 300 that I bought new and sold after 3 years. Just bought a 1998 LS 400, black, black, chrome wheels, Nak, HID's, Traction, Heated seats and only 41K on it. Maint has been done by the book. Bought it for $27,500.

Anyway, my question, this was originally bought in Canada and the owner moved to the US soon after buying it. The outside temp gauge and the temp in the climate control all read in "C"degrees instead of the US "F". Anybody know if this can be reprogrammed by the dealer or not? HOpefully it would be just a simple plug in they can do but who knows. Anybody have any idea?
  • Options
    My company has a 95 LS with the same "features" dealer says major cost to switch it out.
  • Options
    jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Jerryh6,

I use to bring all of the Mobil1 fluids to the dealership and then they just used them and credited me for their fluid portion of the standard service. Also, I have always used Mobil1 5W-30 as recommended in the owners manual although I believe that the manual also allows 10W-30. Later I just started getting the fluids changed with Mobil1 at the Mobil shop except when I was getting major service (30K intervals) done at the dealer. At those I would bring the Mobil1 with me and in one of case where I could not quickly get the Mobil1 transmission fluid I just had the dealer delete the transmission service portion and had that done the next day at Mobil.

As long as you are prescribing to the standard prescribed service in the owners manual it does not really matter if it is done at the dealership (as long as you keep all of the detailed receipts). However, I mostly just decided to bring the Mobil1 fluids to the dealer and have them do it with their normal servicing. Believe me, there different dealers (as I moved around) that did the service work were use to this since a number of people brought Mobil1 in. A number of the people working in the service department of two dealers could not believe that they did not handle Mobil1 but apparently a number of dealers have signed agreements with Castrol for extremely low pricing and Mobil will not play that game.

It is the old thinking of auto dealers that they will make a deal with any devil just to save a few pennies that go to the bottom line. It is a shame we have so much of that in the USA. It is totally different in Europe. In fact, some entire car lines like Porsche and Ferrari are shipping all of their new cars with Mobil1 and require that only true synthetic lubricants the meet the same SAE specification as Mobil1 (Amsoil, etc) are used or the warranty is voided. Cadillac and Corvette are also two domestic examples of this.

You can not believe the cleanliness of the internals of an engine, transmission, oil pump, real axle, etc when they use synthetic lubricants instead of refined fossil-based lubricants. If you ever saw it you would never question the superior and longevity of using synthetic lubricants. It is that obvious to the eye yet alone if you actually had engine or transmission oil analysis done on a constant basis.
  • Options
    billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    I presently own a 2000 Cadillac STS with which I'm quite satisfied. I'm thinking of trading in for a 2003 LS430. My only concern is the ability of the LS430 to perform in snow/ice. I've driven nothing but either front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive for the last 25 years. What are the opinions of the contributors to this forum in this regard?
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    I have one in upstate new york, and had absolutely no problems throughout winter. Just get a good set on snow tires on their own rims.
  • Options
    whybuy1whybuy1 Member Posts: 43
    Although the LS430 traction control and snow mode are effective, my experience is FWD vehicles will always be better and more forgiving on slippery pavement. My experience is driving in the Sierra Nevada: wet snow, some ice, and hills. I use tire cables, not snow tires, because I spend limited time in the snow at any one time. I had no trouble and was limited only by ground clearance. The snow mode gets you up icy hills.
       There have been times when I put on the cables that I thought I would not have had to do so if the car was FWD. This doesn't apply if you go with snow tires because you keep them on all season.
       I think you will find a world of difference in build quality between the LS and STS that will more than make up for the difference in handling on snow.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ..I moved from FWD cars to the LS, and while FWD may have some advantages in certain situations, the RWD LS has not caused me any undue stress or problems while driving in lots of snow and ice.
  • Options
    unless you get the FWD Caddie with an over-running clutch that prevents engine braking you can get in real trouble in adverse roadbed conditions.
  • Options
    01 ls430 with 26k miles, went in for my $125 oil change and tire rotation, and the service guy calls my house ( i live 140 miles from my lexus dealer) and says i need all rotors turned and all brake pads replaced. 26k miles???? and a full brake job!!!! no wobble when i brake, no problems, i've never had a car with under 40k before front brakes and never replaced the rear brakes ( i trade after 45kmiles) and at the time of the brake job they turn the front rotors I think this service thing is a scam. he told me this was what ls430 do every 25k miles. I replace the tires with generals and the tire guy checked rotors and brakes and he said they were fine ( he could have lied and sold brakes)
    soooooo how much do lexus brake jobs cost and are your service places pushing un needed services????

YOUR experiences please
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I feel for you absolutely. Took my '99 LS to a Lex dealership in LA suburb for the scheduled 60K mile service. Cost was ~$700. Dealership was 70miles north of my home. One day later, dealership called to tell me my car had a prior frontal accident (no records anywhere) and needed $1600 worth of parts and labor to fix.

What ??? I could hardly believe my ears. I had never noticed any wobbling, or alignment problem. The car drives like a dream. Not even a sound anywhere.... So you can imagine my shock !!!

Suffice to say that I told them to just do the 60K mile service. I then took the car to another dealership where they verified that my car did NOT need a front alignment/shocks/etc... job. Phew !

The brakes on mine were first replaced at 55K miles. At my 70K mile oil change, I was told my brakes are at 50% front, 40% rear. I will probably need new pads by 80K at the most. Meaning 2 brake jobs in 80K miles of ownership. Don't let yourself be scammed. Seek a second opinion before you consent. My guess is since they know you are that far away, you'd just say "go ahead" to avoid the trouble.... Don't give in....

Hope this helps
  • Options
    anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    I myself have never had to worry about a thing with the lexus as the warranty has covered anything. Once a few years ago I thought the tires should have lasted longer than they did, so the service manager paid for half, and I only said I thought they should have lasted longer, as a passing comment. I think all the dealers in their system are that way all the time. Honest any way. They have built a good organization , so maybe you misunderstood. Tony
  • Options
    jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    I've never had a problem with lexus like the one you described...but I've only got 15K miles on it. However, a couple of suggestions:
    1. Call Lexus customer satisfaction in Torrance, CA and let them know what happened. I'll bet they will try to right the wrong.
    2. Inform the better business bureau.
    3. Tell the Lexus GM at the offending location what happened, that you were very dissatisified and can no longer 'trust' the dealership. Then tell him/her that you took the matter elsewhere to get satisfaction.
    Keep us informed on what happened...although unlikely, it could happen to one of us on this panel. Good luck!
  • Options
    Seattle or Portland area, looking for early 92 LS400, in service date in late 91, to "rent", reasonable fee paid, for a few hours for climate control testing.

I have recently come to suspect that the climate control in my 92 was reprogrammed in the spring of 92 without my knowledge or the knowledge of the court. I sued Lexus under the WA state lemon law back then.

I need access to other 92's of that generation in order to determine if my theory is correct. Testing consists of immersing the OAT in icewater and chilling the system inlet airflow and then verifying comparable (or NOT) climate control operation to my 92. Owner may stand by and/or participate during testing.
  • Options
    You never cease to amaze me. Why do I feel like the rest of us are the Skipper or MR. Howell (I'll stay away from Gilligan) and your the Professor on Gilligan's Island. I'm only speaking for the males in the audience, of course.
  • Options
    How can you possibly have that "bio" and NOT think of YOURSELF as the Professor?
  • Options
    flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    Sometimes I think I might be Gilligan. But then I wake up.
  • Options
    I just got a kick out of the post on a very boring day at work. Plus it came out of left field with no warning shot. The board has been kind of dead lately so I thought you might be trying to breathe some life back into it. Heck - you even woke up flint350 (how are you doing buddy - by the way I think of you more like Sky King - remember him?).

I may like to read about science and even talk a lot about it and view the sky through a telescope but I am far removed from the experimental stages of science. On the other hand I get the feeling you would be more apt to trying to recreate the "Big Bang" in your basement.

I am wondering what your theory is and wondering even more how you would be able to prove it. I mean a 10 year car presents a pretty serious obstacle to overcome given its normal aging of parts and how they work. BUT - I know your background and wouldn't bet against you.

By the way what do you think of the new RX330? It looked great at the New York auto show.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ohhhhhhh, I LOVED Sky King!! :D
  • Options
    flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    ljflx said:
      "by the way I think of you more like Sky King"

then Pat said:
       "ohhhhhhh, I LOVED Sky King!! :D"

hmmmmmm.......should I be blushing? But, at least I'm awake.