Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• barb85barb85 Member Posts: 54
    Has anyone heard of a Custom Luxury Package coming out in the Spring? Did I dream this?

Barb
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    Stopped by a local dealer (not the dealer I ordered from - will call him later) and asked the phone question. He says he has not heard of them not selling the phones and has some in stock. So, I guess I don't understand what your dealer is telling you. Hopefully, it's just misinformation at your dealer. I still plan on calling my dealer about it, bcz I want the phone installed (despite Sprint service).
    drdigital1, I called my dealer since my car is coming in next week and he had no problem with installing the phone. I don't know what that means for you. Maybe it's just a local/regional thing?? I'm on the east coast. So, 2 dealers in my area know nothing about a phone problem.
    On a side note, I was told it takes almost 8 hrs of work to install the phone, which surprised me. I thought the cars all came pre-wired and it's only a matter of installing the holder in the center glove box. Guess I was wrong.
  • kthor6kthor6 Member Posts: 3
    Last week I went into a dealership in Houston (where we leased my husband's GS300 last year) in order to test drive the LS 430. I'm currently driving a Land Rover, but am not too excited about having to hoist my new baby up into the car a zillion times a day. Loved the LS and think I want to make the switch. Don't really see the need for the luxury package, so the only possible option I'm thinking about is the Lexus Link.

Anyway.... Was told by the salesman that there is no discounting at all on the car ever and that if I wanted to buy, it would be at MSRP due to the high demand. They only had 2 on the lot, but were expecting 12 this month. I have no problem waiting several months for a car.

So, I need some advice. What do I need to know to negotiate with these people? I'll either pay cash now or lease (3 years probably).Would appreciate hearing about the recent experiences of other buyers. Thanks.
  • arod2arod2 Member Posts: 10
    Kthor6 - I just purchased a new LS430 in Dallas and paid MSRP. Believe me when I say that these $2K off deals are internet fodder. I tried everything imaginable to get them down. They finally gave way on my trade, but the sticker did not change. I talked to dealers in OK, LA, MS, and all over TX. If you get $1K feel lucky. BTW, the Mid-Luxury package has Lexus Link, Heated Seats, Navigation System (awesome), Mark Levinson Sound, and more for about $62K. Best of luck, this is the best luxury car VALUE on the road - much more luxury than MB E-class and much better price than the S-class.
  • ikey78ikey78 Member Posts: 28
    To all those considering buying the Lexus factory phone, please note the following, all based on hands on experience in my vehicle.

Many of the phone screens on the Nav are disabled when the car is moving. This includes the main dialing screen so if you are moving you have to rely on limited memorized numbers on the Nav screen or voice tags. You can of course dial directly on the phone keypad but this is difficult as the console is behind you.

After your call is connected you can not enter any other numbers via the Nav screen such as extensions, voice mail prompts, pager no's etc. Once again you have to use the phone keypad.

The steering wheel volume control buttons are permanently disabled when the phone is installed.They are replaced by similar buttons that are used for phone presets and phone volume control as in previous LS models.

The phone mutes the radio when you place a hands free call but when you take the handset out of the cradle the radio volume comes back on at the previous level.

The hands free quality was very poor.

Based on the above I can understand why many dealers will no longer sell this disappointing phone.

I had mine removed and replaced with a Nokia vehicle kit on an installer modified Pro-Fit mount placed on the passenger side of the CD changer door/storage door. Microphone placed next to factory microphones (used for Lexus Link and Nav) ie above and to the right of the driver. Small ball antenna on the rear glass. Excellent hands free quality and easy to use.
  • t2ft2f Member Posts: 2
    Questions for ikey78 regarding the Nokia vehicle kit installed with the pro-fit. I picked up my 430 last week(nab/lev with sport suspension) and my dealer convinced me not to purchase the Lexus phone for all of the reasons you stated.

I inquired the availability of a pro-fit for the 430 and was told that one was not yet available. Could you please provide the pro-fit part number used and possibly digital photos of the installation?

Thanks
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    My recent experience shopping the LS430 was no reduction off MSRP. I was advised by Atlanta dealer to wait until Spring or early summer, to let the initial rush of orders subside. Lexus is going to make hay while they can. The custom package (available this Spring) is worth the wait, because it eliminates much of the overkill with back seat options... it gives what most people want.

Lease deals look bad now too...52% residual!!

Bottom line, I am going to buy this car, but I will get the options I want, and they won't make an $11,000 profit on me. Best advice is to let the market cool down. By the way we are in the midst of a slowing economy (some say on the edges of recession)... don't feel the need to play their MSRP game; it won't last. The car is a good value vis-a-vis BMW & Benz, but the profit margin is way too wide.
    See www.familycar.com/Road Tests/LexusLS430/Index.html

One of the better and most detailed reviews out there
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    To all those intrigued by the Lexus 430 is anyone watching the spring time arrival of the new Infinity Q45..From what I know it will have a 340 HP V-8 and has been completely re designed. I have a feeling Lexus may be up for some stiff competition.
    After all this negative talk on the Lexus phone, I called and cancelled my phone order with my dealer. My car has arrived and is being prepped for next week, but I am losing the phone. I hate to think what an aftermarket (e.g. Nokia CARK-91) install would look like in that gorgeous interior of my ecru ultra lux, but I might consider it. The upside is, I keep my AT&T Dig. One Rate service which I MUCH prefer to Sprint. I guess the downside is losing voice control and nav screen interface, but I can get over it. Anyone know of any really nice custom aftermarket install mounts, etc?? Also, wonder if my dealer service dept would consider doing the install of the Nokia setup, since they are more familiar with the car's interior structure and radio system interface. If not, I tremble a little at letting the local techies dig my new panel apart for an install. Thoughts?
    I do not have a part number on the mount used for the kit but I wil try to get it in the next few days. My understanding is that there in no Pro-Fit specifically available for the 430 yet. My installer used a mount from another model and may have adapted it in some way. Bottom line is that it can be done.

I will have some pictures of the installed kit available for scanning soon. Is there a way to post pictures on this board?
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I had a flat which destroyed the tire. Lexus Link worked great and I learned the full size spare includes an alloy wheel, too.

My dealer told me a new summer Dunlop would cost over $300. I didn't like the price, but really hated the idea of buying a summer tire for a Chicago based car.

My local dealer had no suggested alternatives so I went to the net. I ended up getting the "Michelin Pilot X__ Z4" It was the only all season alternative I could find in the Lexus wheel size.

Has anyone else had any experience with all season options for the LS 430?
  • les3308les3308 Member Posts: 1
    I have a ls 430 with sport suspension and the 17" summer tires. I live in Northeast. Has anyone had experience with all-season tires vs snows,etc.?
  • t2ft2f Member Posts: 2
    My dealer refused to install any aftermarket kit. They were concerned about liability.

I also use AT&T one rate with a Nokia phone. The hands free car kit is EXCELLENT,(Used in my previous vehicle with a pro-fit) but my local AT&T (and other) dealers refuse to touch the 430.

Any suggestions?
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    edspider, Tire Rack lists Michelin MXVR PLUS as
    all-season with a good 400 treadware but it's an H not a Z speed rating: $130.

To a previous post, The minimum time delay setting for the head lights on automatic is 30 seconds, which is too long for my purposes. However, I discovered that on exiting, push the remote lock on the key, then pushing lock a second time will turn off the lights.

Fred
    t2f:

The installer who put the Nokia kit in my car used a Pro-Fit mount for another model. The only way to figure out the part number would be to take the phone off the mount but he thinks it was a Toyota mount. He also thinks that Volvo and Saab mounts would work. What he did was look at the various mounts and see which of them would fit. As I said before it worked out just fine. The phone does protrude out slightly into the passenger side but should not be a problem unless you have a very large passenger in which case it might touch their left leg.

Another option for you would be to use a stalk type mount in the carpet on the passenger side. I am told that any holes in the carpet are easy to hide when you take the kit out.

My advice to you is to take the car to another installer. The Nokia kits and phones are used by most of the cellular providers and I don't think they would have a problem doing an install if you do not use their service. I will also point out that my local AT&T installer did not call me back after I called about a kit for this car and so I ended up going to another provider.

I do have some somewhat out of focus pictures of the installed phone but I am not sure how to get them onto this board.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    they don't list one yet, contacted them by email asking for one. If so many ls430 owners need one then there is a market and maybe we can "motivate" them. email them at sales@pro-fit-intl.com
    the more we ask the faster they will make one. I don't want a stem mount it usually intrudes on the passenger comfort and its not as neat.
    why doen't lexus have systems that work with the popular phones, nokia and motorola?????
    Easiest photo method is just to post the photos on a web site like Photopoint or Alta Vista,etc then just post the link here.
    I agree with nofeer, Lexus seems to have dropped the ball on this phone issue. (Altho', it seems that might be the only ball they dropped) They picked one of the more unreliable systems (Sprint) and forced it on us, then severely limited the ability of the system, sending many of us off to aftermarket solutions. The interior of the car is so well done that it pains me to tinker with it, even with a Pro-fit type mount. I'm sure they'll remedy this by next model year, but that leaves us early adopter types out. Since my car arrives today or tomorrow, I can get over it for now, but I'm sure, down the road, I'll wish I had a better, hands-free phone sys. There are too many (already) bad drivers out there weaving around, adding non-handsfree cell phones is a disaster. We all see it every day and Lexus needs to address this issue better in this "flagship" car.
  • barb85barb85 Member Posts: 54
  • theanimalatheanimala Member Posts: 4
    Is it me, or do the buttons in the LS430 seem to be placed in an odd/ugly way. I love the new AS, and I like it quite a bit more then the LS400. But when I recently sat in one while my GS400 was getting serviced, the button placement just looked "cheesy" to me. I'm talking in the center console, underneath the ashtray.

I dun no, maybe it's just me, but it looks like they decided to place them there after the car was already designed.
    I just returned from picking up my new LS430 ultra at the dealership. It seems the earlier rumors about the phone are true. Lexus has stopped selling the current phone and is working on a fix. The car is great, the ride is great, life is good. The black cherry with ecru interior is stunning, IMO, and while I was at the dealership, several people wanted to see it and two offered to buy it. It was the 1st blk cherry/ecru ultra they had sold. I love it, as you might imagine.
  • lexusfanlexusfan Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone heard of Lexus offering the XM or Sirius satellite radio services on the LS (or other Lexi) when they become available? How about the ability to upgrade existing models, especially ones with navigation, as the screen interface can be changed by downloading new software.

Also, has anyone out there with the nav system wanted a way to name your CDs? It wouldn't be too difficult for Lexus to create an on-screen keyboard by which one could recognize discs and store title and track info. Heck, with internet connectivity one could even search and download cover art just like those nifty Escient CD changers (www.escient.com). :) I know I couldn't be the only one out there who can't remember exactly which CDs are loaded, and in what order!
    New owners.... please share your reasons for purchasing a new LS430....include what other vehicles you considered... tell us LS shoppers what made the sale for you.... describe your test drive and experience with the Lexus dealership. What concerns did you have?

Beyond the obvious, why is it the best luxury value on the market.... even at MSRP.

Thanks
    Wbwynn: I just posted the following on the Mercedes S board - I was reading there and saw a similar topic forming. This represents my thinking and my purchase. There is more in my head, but the post is already long:

I have researched these 2 cars (S430-500 / LS430)since Jan of 2000. I came to many of the same conclusions expressed here. Final decision was, I just took delivery of my LS430 Black Cherry Ultra Lux two days ago - and don't regret it for a minute. While I don't profess to the wealth of many of you, I could have afforded the extra 15-20 thousand for the Benz, but decided not to. It was, for me, a matter of quality and reliability. For me, while prestige is nice, I also appreciate the value and long term reliability of the Lexus. The only downside (and a subjective one it is) to the Lexus is the somewhat controversial exterior style. On almost EVERY other count, the Lexus wins. I have read this board and the Lexus board and the number of complaints about both the car and service and dealership attitude is stunningly high for Benz and low for Lexus. No, no car is perfect, but my LS430 (so far) comes much closer than the Benz. As for the reasons some people buy: my wife was initially much more interested in the Benz bcz we could go to Germany for delivery and drive there for a month or so. (Takes all kinds - lol) Any car purchase is, of course, subjective and personal, as was mine. But, I truly feel, if the only real advantage a car has is its name prestige and it costs so much more, then my choice is easier. I'd rather be on the road in ultimate comfort with a Nav system that is intuitive and an unparalleled ride in quiet, than sitting in the dealer's service dept. complaining about the rattles, squeeks, cheap plastic parts and various other failings I have read about here. Lastly (sorry for the length), I don't intend to put the Benz down - I almost bought one and think, generally, it's a fine car, just not a smart buy for MY purposes - but obviously it is for many/most of you. And if we pass each other on the road, let's wave and smile and revel in the wisdom of BOTH of our choices rather than belittle the other person's wisdom for his decision.
    Well-said....and thanks

My feelings as well....just that I am not sitting in an LS yet.
    I just found a really decent and inexpensive alternative to the current LS430 phone problem. A company called Navigator has a series of "all in one" handsfree mounts that install directly into the car power plug and hold a series of cell phones (mine is Nokia 6100 series). The mount acts as a charger, speaker and microphone. The quality is quite decent, considering price and size,etc. The good part is that the power plug in the center compartment in the LS is vertical and works very well to hold this mount. It only very slightly blocks the seat htr buttons, but otherwise integrates well with the console. No wires or screws (!!!) and just unplugs for storage or to use in another car or until Lexus comes up with a better installable phone. If there is any interest, I can post a small photo of my setup as an example. The mount package shows a web site of www.navigatoronline.com I haven't tried the site yet, just bought the thing at Best Buy for $60.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Be careful when blowing $60 on this product - sure, it's not much money, but then again, it's not much of a product.

I have a LS400 and a new RX300 and my wife and I both have Nokia 6000 series cell phones. We've tried the Navigator (charger/speakerphone/mount) in both cars, with and without the included line cord mic that cuts down ambient noise.

Results:
    1. Voice quality to the dialed party is fair-to-poor
    2. When the road gets a bit rough, it's not unusual for the cell phone to disengage slightly from the Navigator mount - then it doesn't work properly till it's reinstalled and/or powered-up again.
    3. In discussing these problems with the Navigator tech folks, you'll get the "well, what do you expect for the money?" approach.

Bottom line - it does work. Just not well. I think that a Lexus vehicle deserves better but I haven't found the right product yet.
  • hayabusahayabusa Member Posts: 26
    I just read a press release about Lexus being the top-selling luxury brand (for 2000). I thought someone wrote that Mercedes held that spot. Well, he or she is wrong. Here's a link to that press release:

http://www.lexus.com/about/news/popups/pr_2001_01_08e.html

This is just a one paragraph quote from that press release:

Amid record low temperatures across the country, Lexus heated up the sales thermometer to a sizzling 206,037 units for the year 2000, an all-time sales record for the luxury automaker. Lexus' record-setting sales represent an increase of 10.8 percent from 1999. In a very competitive and tight market, Lexus became the top-selling luxury brand edging out Mercedes-Benz by a mere 423 units.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    wbwynn - I saw your posting about not getting any breaks or negotiating room from an Atlanta Lexus dealer. I know what you mean, I've been there. I have a GS400, not an LS, which I ended up buying from Butler Lexus in Macon. Sales guy was Renardo Pitts. Might be worth a call for you - saved me some money, plus I got *exactly* what I wanted, not the usual "well if it's on the lot great, otherwise we might get what you want some year..."
    Flint350 said it best. (By the way, your color choice sounds fantastic, but I couldn't wait.) I too did research and decided on the LS over the MB S430. My old car was a 98 MB E320 which I just loved, but it was in for service a lot. In the end, I just didn't see the value. I have no regrets. My silver with Black Indigo UL is the finest car I've ever seen. Its only weakness is in exterior styling. Since I own the car, I hope they don't fix that in 2002, but I suspect they will.

Lexus top selling Luxury line. Get real. This kind of comparison is meaningless. Lexus has more models and less expensive models than MB. I would expect them to sell more cars in total. What I'd like to see is who sells the most $50K+ cars.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Flint 350 - you are right on the money. LS430 is simply a better car than either MB S-430 or S-500.I have car a month now and it seems to be better every day. The MB's are great cars but reliability and many complaints from owners who remain loyal to them are hard to understand. Lexus reliability plus LS430's unbelievable ride and improved handling made it impossible to pass up.By the way is'nt it funny how LS430 owners don't put down S-class cars but vice-versa MB owners do exact opposite;maybe they are insecure about their purchase. Rode in a friends S-430 past weekend and bottom line at least for me is I'm glad I opted for the Lexus.
    ljflx: You make an excellent point. When I read the S-Class forum most owners do tend to speak negatively of the LS. While LS owners are more rational. We know the S is a great car. We also know the LS is, too. In fact we'd probably very happy in either. We just decided that the LS has an edge for us. If the new LS didn't exist, you'd find me in an S-Class.
    Some high volume dealers are now giving $2000 off LS430 regardless of option package chosen....if you bypass the salesman and buy via internet. It just the beginning of the end for MSRP. Some of these dealers actually have a big inventory.

Anyone heard anything more about the mid-luxury (custom) option package available this spring?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    edspider1 - Couldn't agree with you more. Who wouldn't be happy in an S-Class? But if I had it and there was no LS430 alternative than I'd be wishing MB would add the things the LS has - particularly the quiet cabin, incredible ride and gorgeous interior amenities. Unlike most S-Class owners I love all that interior wood - it gives a warm feeling and makes me feel as if I'm in my family room. The MB's are just too spartan inside for all that money and the cd player is still dealer installed and in the trunk.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I've had my ls for 2 months. absolutely perfect, even the tire pressure. can't imagine a better, car. so glad i did not get the S class even though the lease payment was close (MB 66% residual). lots of pressure on MB. once you look and drive them both, no choice. 15-20k is a lot of peace of mind rather than prestige. a young gas attendant asked what kind of car i had..."awesome" I couldn't agree more.

Peace of mind is what it's all about. i know this will not be in except for routine maintenance. most MB owners wish the same.

also looked at the insurance crash test site, and looked at the E class, then looked at the Avalon. quess who did better. MB talks the talk, but their rep is cracking. looking at that offside crash of the e class, and the avalon, opens ones eyes. Even volvo did better. so maybe MB isn't as safe as they say. look for your self.

http://www.hwysafety.org/

• hayabusahayabusa Member Posts: 26
    Well, let's see... Lincoln, Cadilac, and especially Acura have cheaper models. Why isn't Acura the leader??? If people were looking for "bargains", wouldn't any of the three mentioned before be the leader? I guess the price isn't the prime factor. And Mercedes has a lot of variation on their cars, engine choices, etc... Mercedes also has cheaper models than the S-class. Do you think "the rich" will buy an GS 300 or GS 430 over an S-Class? If they wanna buy a Mercedes, they buy a Mercedes. So Price and models doesn't really matter. Something else is making people buy more Lexus'. Something like reliability, service, etc. I actually don't know why...
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    I think the following factors affect most buying decisions: value for money, overall quality, driving experience, features, looks, reliability, performance, and uniqueness. Lexus scores well or very well on all these fronts. They do their homework.

The S class though, for example, is an incredible car, but there's some questions about reliability, quality, and features (like their wacky COMAND system), not to mention 'value' for some.

I think many look at an S-Class and an LS and say that while the S-Class is great it just isn't a better overall package at any price than an LS 430 for example.

The E-Class is pretty boring overall but doesn't really have much competition so it does OK. Other companies (BMW, Lexus, Audi) do sports sedans in those price ranges instead. Yes you can get an E55, but that's a different league in terms of cost.

Lexus often 'follows' a market, too. They watched the SUV market grow and then hit a home run with the RX300 because they learned that people like the high driving position, the room, but not the truck-like ride or lack of amenities. So they made a great riding, good looking, distinctive, high quality vehicle that is a good value for money also. Home run.

BMW is too small a company to do as much as Toyota/Lexus, so they focus more on performance than anything else.

Acura focuses on people who don't want to spend as much as a Lexus or Mercedes costs and their TL for example, was a GREAT example of terrific value for money, but with some necessary compromises, given the price.

But getting back to Lexus, they now have a pretty broad product line, a terrific reputation, a good read of the market, and an ability to capitalize on trends often started by others.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    I'm contemplating the purchase of an LS430 & if I do expect to keep it for several years,maybe 100,000 hi or more. What can I expect in the way of durability after the warranty runs out? Regular maintenance costs seem a little on the high side...approx $130 every 5000 miles & $300 every 15000 i. These costs were quoted by local dealer. Also was surprised to here that Lexus uses a timing belt instead of a chain which is recommended to be changed @ 90000 @ a cost of $1100. I realize that these costs mare not that great over the life of the car but seem higher that you would expect given the extended service periods of the competition. Any experience you can give me would be appreciated. Also hoe about the extended warranty from Lexus? Approx cost $2200.
    Just took a Sunday stroll through the local MB lot to re-confirm the lack of value for the money. I really think that MB is in trouble at their current price levels for E and S classes when compared to the LS430. It's shocking to me what people will pay for an old image that falls way short in reliability and value for the dollar paid.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    I can only give you my experience. I owned a 1990 LS 400 for 11 years before buying the LS 430. I had no problems for the 130,000 miles. I replaced the timing belt at 120,000,whether it needed it or not. After the warranty period I only had it serviced every 30,000 miles. I did change the o & f every 7500 miles (Mobile one)myself. Still had the original rear brake pads and muffler & tail pipe when I sold it.

Would I buy any other car than a Lexus? Not with that experience.
  • ideal2ideal2 Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery 2 months ago of my LS 430(Black,Ecru,Chromewheels,17" summer tires)and after owning just about every Luxury including
    a 1997 E430, put a fork in me I am done!
    LS 430 is the best at any money.
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    Lexus RX300 is the home run that edged Lexus past MB in total sales. Also, the new IS helped as well. The RX was Lexus' top selling vehicle of all of its models. I haven't looked in a while, but through September 2000 the sales numbers for its CARS where actually low.

Leave it to America's ridiculous love affair with trucks (and truck-like vehicles) to have made the difference here for Lexus. Anyone who has taken a good look at the Mercedes ML will probably agree with me that it is a piece of crap. I can't believe myself how low-grade the interior materials they use on it are. Just like the Lincoln Navigator sales fueled Lincoln's total vehicle sales past Cadillac last year for the first time in many decades, we'll probably see Caddy come screaming back with it's new '02 Escalade hitting the streets any day now.
    It's all about trucks now.
  • tomkuntomkun Member Posts: 10
    I got my LS430(blue/ecru, nav/ml) last week, i found the ride is lot firmer than LS400, i think about to get 16" wheel/tire, 225/60/16, same as LS400's, instead of 225/55/17 in LS430, but i dont want lose too much handling, any suggestions?
    thanks!
  • jimeisterjimeister Member Posts: 9
    Edmunds.com shows a price REDUCTION effective February 2001.

Is the luxury car market softening with the economy?

Hmmm...I smell some better deals on the horizon.

Jim
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    Has anyone succeeded in playing a DVD movie in his LS430? I have heard it is supposed to work if the car is in Park. My salesman said he had seen it done in an LX470 by loading in into the dash slot. Thanks for any advice. Mine just says, "CD Check", indicating a bad CD.
    Not much of a change in the TMV from Edmunds, but it's going south....$2000 off from large dealers if you buy via the net. This is a very slow economy... close to recession. Just look at the Daimler Chrysler situation.
  • antlers1antlers1 Member Posts: 13
    does any one know when custom lux pkg will be available and at what cost thank you.antlers1
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    Last time I checked, Lexus had dropped it from their website.
    No dealers have been able to give a date, but an earlier post said the MSRP would be about $62,000. Lexus brochure says Spring 2001...