Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• bluestar1bluestar1 Member Posts: 112
    when everything else is equal, buy the car with the LOWER miles. I am not a believer in CPO, I think it is (in many cases) a rip-off. Take care of the car, do all the regular maint. stuff, and everything will be/should be fine, as fine as machines go.

Good luck.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    BMW should have won? Not with iDrive - it's a disaster.
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    If you are going to spend this much at one time, then indulge yourself and get what you both want. I personally have found that by buying every fourth year, one for her and one for me, we get a new car every two years, and I don`t have to come up with the money all at once. For you to do this one of you will have to wait two years, but if the marriage is solid , it wil be nice over the long haul. If I were you I`d wait for the new lexus for yourself.... If you get the ls now I really don`t think the ultra is worth the extra cost as most of the cost is in the back seat, and how often are you back there. Tony
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Why do I get the feeling you are hooked on Lexus now?

Bitkahuna - glad to see you back here. What do you think of the next gen GS photos at the Tokyo show?
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Pietwo -

I have used had the opportunity to use Westside Lexus in Houston (on I-10 West) and was very pleased. I have had my LS serviced at dealers in Texas, New York City, New Jersey, Florida and Michigan.

That said, they were one of the best I have experienced. I had to use both their service department and body shop.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    I don't really have the exact answer to your questions as your model is different than mine. But in my post #4769 I gave the instructions on how easy it is to do in an LS430 (it's probably simimlar in your RX - but I can't be certain).

As for voiding your warranty - I would seriously doubt that - but again, I can't be certain. You are not required to break any seals or remove any "manufacturers only" type markers, etc. And lastly, yes, it does update automatically - just be sure to have the key in the ignition and in the acc or on position to supply power to the system before you insert the disk. The screen will show the system is updating and when it is finished. Hope this helps.
  • RictraRictra Member Posts: 11
    <<<< am in Charleston. I couldn't consider a black interior in the South. In fact their resale value is dismal. Your windows must be tinted.>>>

You obviously never drove one of the newer sedans with the flow through air conditioning through the seat cushions. There is no way you would get hot even if you were in Haiti. LOL
  • RictraRictra Member Posts: 11
    OK, now my dealer has told me he has a silver exterior & black interior '04 LS430 with Nav/Levinson coming in for me, but it has the touring suspension. I am not familiar with the touring suspension and wonder if that in itself will add value to my car 3 years down the road when I trade or will it take value away. Is this something desirable?

I don't want a rough ride nor do I want to feel the rocks in the road either. Please tell me all you know about this model -- give pros and cons. Thanks!

Rick
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    "I found the following on the Lexus web site:

The LS is available with three distinctly different suspension systems to serve different types of drivers:

The dynamic four-wheel, independent, double-wishbone suspension features stabilizer bars to help keep you solidly anchored even during tight cornering.

For a sportier ride, choose the available Euro-tuned Sport Suspension, which offers stiffer springs, more aggressive shock absorber damping rates and unique suspension bushings that help to enhance road feel.

Or choose the available Adaptive Variable Air Suspension (AVS), which allows you to determine the feel of your ride by selecting either Normal or Sport mode from the cockpit. A computer then gives you optimum spring and damper response to give you the ideal level of precision. " [end of Lexus web site]

I would guess the dealer is ordering in a "Sport Suspension" with 18 inch wheels vv. regular 17 inch wheels. Sport Package with Polished-Finish Alloy Wheels - $220 as listed in the Lexus price list. I have read reviews where the driver thought the Sport Suspension was great. Try it, you may like it.

P.S. I also found this site with a road test review for the LS430.
    http://www.nctd.com/review-drive.cfm?ReviewID=1432
    Hope this helps.
  • tk_dettk_det Member Posts: 21
    Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply. I have an ES300 though not an RX. I hadn't gone back far enough to read your msg 4769. I now have and I see that it contains much more explicit and useful instructions. Thanks again. I shall go into my trunk and look at the NAV system to see if your descriptions relate to my system. As I said the parts number is the same for the LS and ES replacement DVD so I suspect the procedure will probably be the same too.

It doesn't take any password or dealer number to puchase items from lexus parts dot com?

Thanks again for your patience and help. Happy motoring.
  • erad98erad98 Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone had a problem with noisy door seals? I had the dealer specifically address this issue and although they couldn't replicate the problem, they went ahead and lubricated the seals with silicone. This helped for a few days but the problem is now recurring. I am planning on spending some time in the vehicle with a technician next time I go to the dealer. Is anyone aware of a service bulletin on this issue? Any help would be appreciated!
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    Awhile back before the car was launched someone posted a site that gave a good description of the options in each package. Does anyone still have that link or can someone briefly list the differences. Thanks.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    The differences are:

For an extra $1000 for The custom Luxury you get.

Adaptive Laser Cruise control, power door closer,

I got the information from Edmunds under the new car heading. 2004 Lexus LS 430 Optional equipment.
    Thanks for welcoming me back. I've been lurking, just not posting.

Rumor has it the new LF-S sedan concept shown in Tokyo is NOT the new GS, but I think it's going to be close. I think it looks great. I expect Lexus to have another home run.

One thing Lexus needs to do though is execute their plan to provide hybrid options in all their models, this will be a major blow to MB and BMW. Lexus generally attracts 'practical' buyers, not those who just want a status symbol, and hybrid will be supremely practical with fuel economy and environmental issues, plus even quieter drivetrain, and MORE TORQUE (from electric) with smaller displacement gas engines... it's a very bright future.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    The tire pressure monitor system in the '04 LS is the "indirect" type that makes use of the ABS wheel-speed measurement. A low tire will turn faster than a properly inflated one. This is inferior to the "direct" pressure measurement system which uses an actual pressure transducer inside each tire/wheel. The indirect must be "initialized" after you have first inflated all four tires equally, and then it gives no pressure measurement in psi. The direct system reads each tire in psi. The SC-430, Cadillac, and Corvette (among maybe some others) use the "direct" system.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    What discounts from MSRP are people getting on the 2004 LS430?
    However, it does work. I had one low tire out by 8 psi and got a warning light with readout "low tire pressure". I stopped and checked all four tires to find the offending tire. I equalized the pressure in all four and thought that might be the end of it. I surmised that the dealer had put in too much air in three of the tires at the 1000 mile inspection and forgot the fourth tire. Wrong, the next day I got the same warning light and message and checked all four tires again. The same tire was low by about five pounds (28#) and I did find a nail near the side wall of the tire. I also found that tires are not "road hazard" protected/warranted by Lexus (should have read that section of the owners manual). However, a fix was reached and all four tires are now back at the same pressure and no leaks, I hope. It works!
    Chicagoed: You might consider posting your question in the "Lexus LS: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" at the starting of the LS430 list. Good luck.
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    I got to the dealer today to check out a brochure. It looks like you cant get Millenium Silver with Birds Eye maple unless you get the UL/CL package. Does anyone know if you can order a non-standard leather/wood/leather choice (ie. silver/ash/birds eye maple)? Also, the Modern Luxury package says it has climate control seats but not perforated leather. How is this possible?
  • whybuy1whybuy1 Member Posts: 43
    I'm not sure if this is the same symptom, but look at posts 4596 and 4597. These describe an intermittent noise in the door. The second post suggests it can be fixed.
    Saw an LS in flint mica today at a stop light. The car looked stunning in that color. I haven't seen the cypress pearl yet am very curious to see that color. On paper it reminds me of the riverrock green color that was available on the LX and may still be available on the TLC. Anyone on the board see a cypress pearl yet? I think I will be choosing among black/ecru, cypress pearl and the flint mica when I lease again in the early part of 2004.
  • erad98erad98 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks! I will call special attention to this area at the next service visit.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I saw a Flint Mica this morning and I agree, the car looked fabulous. It had the 18" wheels which really filled out the wheel wells.

I have yet to see an LS with the Saddle interior. When I try to build one at lexus.com I can't get any exterior color to give me the Saddle interior, so I'm wondering if it's special order only. But I love the Flint Mica in the brochure that is shown with the Saddle interior.

Are you thinking of getting the sport package with 18" wheels when you get the car early next year?
    I've been told you can do the custom lux with the euro + sport package and if that's the case that is where I'm going. I may need to order it early though as it will have to be a custom order. But I don't need the car till the end of March and that was a surprise as I had thought earlier I needed the car by the middle of February. If the custom lux is not doable then I'm in a quandary. I may take the modern lux pckge with the euro and 18" rims or I may go all the way to the ultra. The euro is really nice as I've had the pleasure of driving and riding in a friends car. He took it a few weeks ago. I've also been told you can get 18" rims with any suspension but I'm skeptical if that info is right. Have you heard anything about that?

My other problem is I need the big truck (can't be without an LX or TLC with our family needs) and my wife would like a small suv for bad weather days and for those days in which she needs to transport a bunch of kids around. I suggested a Toyota Highlander as it is reasonable and is an excellent riding truck. She came back and showed me a picture of an RX330 in Bamboo pearl. She loves the RX330 (and loves that color) thanks to her experience with it as a loaner.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Finally, after 2 months on ebay I found a car Sunday morning.
    Paid his price of $9775 and it will be delivered in about 10 days.
    1995 LS400 127,000 miles Jade green with tan interior. Paint is original and still glossy.

You guys remember the jade green. Looked black from some angles and green from others. It was THE color in the early to mid '90s.
    I've got my fingers crossed that the car is as disclosed and will not be damaged during shipping.
    Good luck with the car. How much does it cost to ship a car like that and how do you go about arranging shipping (and I assume some insurance) when you are buying from a private party as opposed to a LexusUS.com?
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Do you get to back out if the car isn't as promised? I guess you'd still be out roundtrip shipping. BTW, you can pay extra for enclosed-truck shipping...no potential for dings from gravel.
    Welcome to the LS club, officially. You will enjoy that LS much better than the Impala, plus it will last longer. 127K miles on a well maintained LS is not a biggie. Mine has 75K miles and purrs like a kitten, just like it was on its day of purchase when I drove it home. Still silky smooth, refined and well behaved. Love it.

Oh, the color green is what dealers refer to as 'no-sale' green. Not the best color for resale value, but then I suppose you have no immediate plans to get rid of it anyways.
    I got 11 estimates from shippers.
    The low was $600. The high was $1138 from DAS who is ebay's recommended shipper.
    They use company owned trucks and drivers.

I frankly don't see how a company could deliver my car for $600. It concerned me enough that I rejected the low bids.
    Most of the other quotes were grouped between $750-850.

I chose a company that was $795. 0 deductible and they do not use terminals.
    Which means the car will come straight through to me. Except for other deliveries and pickups along the way.
    This is an open truck. Closed trucks were more expensive.

The car is in Edinburg,texas which is way down by the Mexican border.
    1400 miles from Charleston, SC.
    Too far for me to drive.
    if it had been in Dallas i would have gotten it myself.
    Don't think this color falls into that category.
    I am very aware of what used car colors are most popular. They are white and black.

This color green is so dark it looks black from most angles.
    And was one of the most popular colors several years ago.

i feel like i did well on the price.
    The seller was trying to sell it for 10.4K but being in an area where there was no Lexus dealership hurt him.

NADA retail in average condition is 13.1K.

The deal with ebay is that you don't necessarily get a deal. But you will find the car with everything you want.
  • hage57hage57 Member Posts: 24
    You and I seem to be on the same track as to an 04 LS. I have an 01 LS Custom Lux, with the air suspension and would like to order an 04 LS Custom Lux with the euro + 18" wheels, but my dealer said this combo is not available. I could get the 18" wheels, but the added cost is about $2300. If you have info that runs counter to this, please give me a heads up. Interestingly, my wife is ordering an RX330 in Bamboo. I hope she likes it as she is not a big fan of SUV's
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Yeah, sometimes dealers are right and sometimes wrong. In the (distant) past I found that the corporate info line 800-usa-lexus, can provide good info, even stuff not in the owner's manual.
    I'm going in to see them next week re an LX470. I will find out for sure and get back to you. But a neighbor and friend who just took a euro told me that the custom lux and euro were doable and so did lexusUS.com (or fleetUS.com as I believe they are now known). But both said it was a special order.

The RX is gorgeous in bamboo pearl. Even I have to admit that fact to my wife. She wants to get the RX first and an LX in the spring. I may go that route. Your wife will love it because the RX is much closer to a car than it is to an SUV. The advantages of an elevated 4wd with all the benefits of a lux car. No wonder Lexux hit a homer with it.

What type of prices did you get on an RX and what did it include?
  • richardhaydensrichardhaydens Member Posts: 1
    I hope I don't offend anyone but wondering if someone has experimented with other than premium fuel in their LS and what, if any, results. Thanks!
    Hage57: Sounds like the dealer is quoting the price of the 18" wheels & corresponding tires with no credit for the 17" wheels and tires. The price for factory installed 18" wheels and tires and shocks is $220. I guess the dealer does not want to eat the original wheels and tires. Wonder they are worth? Dealer price quote for 17" Dunlop is $283 each. Personally I don't see that the 18" wheels and tires would make that much difference on an air suspension automobile?
    You can put gas other than Premium in your LS and the computer will obligingly retard spark timing and power so it won't ping or misfire, robbing you of power and probably giving you WORSE gas mileage. As I've pointed out many times, if you drive 20K miles a year, you're probably only saving about $100 by going to a mid grade gas instead of premium. If you skip one Starbucks coffee a week you can stay on premium. ;)
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    I had that color on the very first lexus I owned, which was the second year they came out. A great car, that never had a single problem.. The next driver eventully had to have some dash lights replaced, and then it was sold two years ago. Tony
  • carguyaycarguyay Member Posts: 24
    On build your Lexus it also shows sport pkg w/18-in chrome for $1920.I would like to buy 2004 18 cast wheels if anyone has some.
  • zdudezdude Member Posts: 22
    Just picked up my 2004 LS430, Flint w/Black interior, modern lux, smart access and sport package! Picking up my bluetooth phone next week and I will be set. The adaptive front lights are pretty damn cool as well. I was on a winding road and my wife thought I had the brights on - there were no dark corners. The wind here is about 40mph and the car was rock steady.
    Only problem is my wife wants to trade her E class in for one now ;)
    Best of luck with the car. Is this your first Lexus or Lexus LS?

I assume the sport package has the Euro suspension.
    My LS430 has the Euro sport suspension with 18" wheels. I am a former BMW owner (5 series and X5) and I think lexus has a winner with this setup. Its by no means a 5 series BUT for a car its size it handles very, very well and has excellent road feel, IMHO and the sweet part, still retains its luxurious ride. My son (who drives a 3 series) was very impressed when he drove it and he doesn't like anything that is not German :)
    I agree. It's really something the way they combine a spectacular ride with such excellent handling and road feel. The best of one world with more than enough of the other. Most people who would only look at German cars are awed by the LS. I know several people who jumped out of S-classes and into LS430's. It's great to have so much choice on our hands. Better cars at a lower price thanks to intense competition. Capitalism at work.

But your wife should be careful. An LS is a very different car than an E in many ways including size. Tell her to wait for the new GS in 2005. I'll bet that will be one awesome car.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Congrats on the car. The Flint with black interior is one of my favorite color combinations - I'm sure that is one gorgeous car. Plus, as I've said before, the 18" wheels look great on the LS. Enjoy it.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Any of you 04' LS buyers get the XM Radio dealer option? I would be interested in the details of how it's installed and looks.

Thx
  • hage57hage57 Member Posts: 24
    The RX330 includes the performance package and heated seats-with destination checks out at 43,045 and I'm at 1,750 discount. I think that I am looking forward to it more than she is, but I'm sure she will like it also.
    As to the cost on the 18" wheels, that price of 2,300 does not include tires and the dealer does not want to trade back the standard 17" wheels-not a deal I want to do, I'll probably look at the Ultra Lux package.
    I was quoted $530 for the XM module plus labor (est. 3 or more hours) is this the going price?
    My quote is $782 installed with tax..... However, still not available yet.
  • daryll40daryll40 Member Posts: 44
    I don't get this whole tire pressure monitor thing. It's probably good if you are out and a tire has a leak, but a true flat you'll notice without the monitor. And the monitor is not sensitive enough to tell the TRUE pressure. I own a GOOD tire gauge (I paid about $20) and check pressure on the 15th and 30th-31st of each month in the AM before going out. It's no big deal. I keep a portable/rechargable small compressor that I bot at Wal-Mart for $40 in the garage to top off the tires as needed. Until the come out with a TRUE tire pressure monitor that can display the TRUE pressure within 1PSI, I am not interested.

As to fuel. OK, maybe I am penny wise at the expense of being pound foolish, but here is what I do.

The car calls for 91 octane. 90 is close enough. 89, however, is a rip off because it's always priced right between 93 and 87. I have learned exactly how many gallons it will take to fill the tank from all the various points on the gas gauge. I put in half and half, with a bias toward a few more drops of premium. So I am getting 90 octane at 89 prices. In the big scheme of things this is insane, I know, but I hate wasting money on gasoline.

Daryll40
  • daryll40daryll40 Member Posts: 44
    half 87 octane and half 93 octane, averaging out to 90 octane.
    That is a hell of a statement ! Penny-wise indeed !!! God bless America, the home of $1.50 a gallon of gasoline. Try 3X of that cost in many parts of Europe. How much do one save between filling up with 87 versus 91 octane-rated gas on an annual basis ? Maybe $100. Maybe $200 ? What would it cost to fix a pinging engine ? Not to mention that running lower grade gas actually leads to lower mpg !

Wasting money on gas: 1/2(octane-87) + 1/2(octane-93) = octane-90. Indeed!