Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Options
    swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    LS 04 with UL with all pos. options except XM radio, I paid $63500 for it in soc cal. Thousandoaks lexus is my dealer and delivered the car without a problem, I hope this will help you. swiftm
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    for an ultra - Wow. No hope for a deal like that in NY/NJ area unless you were talking about a 2003 or a demo with plenty of miles. Southern Cal must have a huge oversupply of LS430's. In December there was one LS430 (a premium edition - no nav or ML) on ray catena's NJ lot and it was a demo. Catena is a big volume dealer.

Landspeed - even fleetrates is listing the ultras at $66k plus it will cost you a grand to ship it here. I'd bet a $68k price is the best you can do here. But I haven't as yet priced it. When I was in for the GX the salesman told me the ultras and most LS430's are sold before the ship docks.
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Consider buying out of state and truck-transporting your LS. Local dealer will still service under warranty and after.
  • Options
    It would have to be a sensational deal for me to do that plus I'd have to be buying rather than leasing. $1-2k - which after shipping is about the best you could do isn't worth it. On a lease that is only $30 a month.
  • Options
    paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    Where are you early Friday this week? I am pretty sure I will be driving my baby in for servicing, and a witch hunt for mystery noise.

I am scheduled for 8AM. So, maybe I am done 11-12PM ??
  • Options
    diamondwdiamondw Member Posts: 3
    I AM WANTING TO PURCHASE A LS400 WITH MOST ALL OPTIONS: I CAN'T MAKE A DEAL HERE IN LAS VEGAS. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A DEALER WITHIN 400 MILES. I DON'T MIND ORDERING.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I am enjoying my '95 LS 400 but am finding the lack of headroom a problem.

Do the 2001 and later cars have more headroom?
  • Options
    Would love to meet you. I'll give you a tour of the beautiful areas of Monmouth county. Give me a day or so to see what I can do with my schedule as I should have some flexibility. By the way my friends call me Len.
  • Options
    Sounds great. Email me if your schedule opens up.

Paul
  • Options
    jrasskuljrasskul Member Posts: 11
    I was able to get the car with Modern Lux Pckg, Euro suspension with alloy wheels for a bit less than $3,000 over dealer's invoice at Bob Casiulli Lexus in Little Falls NJ.

I spoke with several dealers in the area and they were the most accommodating for everything, including price. And, in the color and configuration I wanted it had to be ordered. Hope to have it by end of Feb.

Jaime
  • Options
    stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I just noticed that the fog lights turn off while you flash the high beams, and then go back on with the low. Any ideas why they were designed this way? (probably a wwest question).
  • Options
    jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    stevestein,

As far as I know, the Federal DOT or NITSA requires all cars sold in the USA to not have any other factory installed lights illuminated when the high-beams are on (including just "flashing" the high-beams).

On a similar matter, since the 2001 model year, Lexus also enables the dealer to deactivate your DRL lights if you do not like them on. The exact codes were posted here a few months ago. I have the post bookmarked if you what the number.

Jim
  • Options
    chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    Does anyone with Smart Access know how it works in the following situations?
    1. Will the car lock without pushing any buttons when the Smart Key is carried away from the car? Or must you press the button on the outside door handle?
    2. Can I lock one of my Smart Keys in the car using a second one in my hand when I exit?
  • Options
    I'll be in touch tommorrow night.
  • Options
    zdudezdude Member Posts: 22
    The car will not lock without pushing the outside button, safety reasons I guess.
    Concerning #2, that is a little tricky. The keys are not duplicates, so to speak. I think there might be a *main* key that if you open the door with that key it becomes the primary. I believe if you lock the door with that key on exit (pushing the button) the second key could probably be left in car. I did this when I first got my car, I left the extra keys in the glove box and I was able to lock my doors (that was a couple of months ago).
  • Options
    cheapownercheapowner Member Posts: 47
    Can't comment on '95 and 2001.

When I sit in a '97 Coach Edition. My hair touch the headliner. With 2003, I still have <1".
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Thanks. I was thinking the 2001 and up cars had more headroom.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I had a '90 LS400 years ago and have a '01 LS430, and I can tell you that the 430 has a lot more headroom. That's one of the big advantages it has over the 400. Along with that, it is easier to get in and out. There's more of every kind of room in the 430. Before the 430 I had a '95 Mercedes S500. When Mercedes shrank the S500 for the new model, choosing the LS430 was a no-brainer for me. I see now where the next generation S class is going back to the larger size of the previous generation.
  • Options
    jamesfletcher2:

How about fog lights and only parking lights on together like BMWs?
  • Options
    jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    cheapower,

To the best of my understanding the only limitation the Feds make is when high-beams are engaged no other lights can be activated. Therefore, the fogs with parking lights combination would be up to the manufacturer.

Jim
  • Options
    edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    Has anyone upgraded their 2001/2002 with a 2004 LS 430? Can you tell any difference in ride or quietness?
  • Options
    Thanks zdude for the information. Re my question #2, what you said sounds possible, but my salesman doesn't know it - he says you can't lock the car with a second key located in the car. I wonder if you or someone else could try it and tell me for sure.
  • Options
    carguyaycarguyay Member Posts: 24
    Neat screen name! I put my wifes key in the car on console and locked it. I took my smart key in the house and tried the door and it was locked. I went and got my smart key and the door then opened. Maybe try it for your self. I am not sure were to keep the third valet key ? Larry
  • Options
    niceputtniceputt Member Posts: 23
    Check with Cory at Riverside Lexus (California). A terrific fellow and a decent price.
  • Options
    Can someone recommand a Lexus accessories/parts website?
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
  • Options
    Thanks Larry. It looks like you now have your '04 LS. I'm still waiting for mine. I ordered mine without the SmartAccess because I had concerns about how it worked, and the salesman didn't have answers. Now I'm concerned that it may take a long time to get a car without it - it seems that all the cars in stock around here have it. When you tried it out for me, did you lock the car using the interior doorlock button (as you exited), or the lock button on the outside door handle, or the LOCK button on the SmartKey?
  • Options
    Oh I am sorry I somehow thought you had your 04.I think I locked it from the button on the outside of the door. I had some concerns but figured they were good at everything else so I ordered it and have been happy. Mine was ordered 1st day of release and took 6 weeks almost to the day. Sport w/chrome 18's. Black on Black. It has 2800 miles. My first Lexus.Today I sat and looked at beautiful a new black s500 parked next to mine and I just seem to like the Lexus style. I got it at the dealer in Orland/Tinley. I am in Schererville,Indiana
  • Options
    jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    I had a few questions for the group:

1) Does anyone have pricing information they can share about the Chicago area delaers? I have done my servicing on my '90 LS for years at Woodfield Lexus and would tend to give them my business unless another dealer was a good bit lower in price.

2) I have not driven a car with the Sport Package and I know that requires the Modern Lux package. The feature on the Custom Lux that interests me is the door closers. Does the laminated glass do anything different or give a quieter ride? What is the practical difference in the two types of cruise control?

3) Lexus says that only three phones (a Nokia, Sony Ericson T610 or T68i) are tested to work the the Lexus as of todays date using either T- Mobile or Cingular. Has anyone gotten to try another phone that worked? I am intrigued by this feature and always liked the Lexus hands free phone in my '90 LS but I would prefer a "flip-type" phone and none of these units qualify.

I was going to wait until the snow was gone to get my '04 but the power steering pump must have gone once again on my 90 LS and I hate to put the money into a 14 year old car that I was going to trade-in for next to nothing anyway.
  • Options
    I had a great service appointment today at my NJ dealership. I arrived at 8:06AM (late by 6 minutes). The garage door into a large indoor service center opened as I approach. A service rep was right there ready to answer my questions. We walked into his office area. Then I headed over to the airy waiting area. There were coffee, bagels, cream cheese, drinks, and sandwiches. All were fresh and variety was good. I enjoyed a pleasant conversation in the waiting area. Surprisingly, my LS was ready at 850AM. It was also washed and vacuumed even better than the day I bought it. The tires were even Armor-all'ed Very happy with the service. I am not sure if I am suppose to post the dealer name here. But anyone interested can email me.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can post dealership names. We do ask that you not provide direct contact information such as specific names, links, addresses, phone numbers, but the name of the dealership is fine.
  • Options
    ikey78ikey78 Member Posts: 28
    If you leave a second smart key in the car you can not lock the car by pushing the button on the door handle. You will get a long beep as an error message.
    In that situation you can lock and unlock the car by pushing the buttons on the actual key.
    I have been very pleased with the whole Smart Key system. It is very convenient and works reliably.
  • Options
    Still waiting for my LS, but thanks to you guys I already know that with NAV, I won't have the nice compass display in the instrument cluster as the non-NAV cars do. So I (we) have a prominent steering wheel button, DISP2, which does nothing but show or hide a redundant display of outside temperature! Fire the guy who came up with that idea.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...controls the radar cruise control and its adjustment when so fitted.
  • Options
    Thanks for the post. I tried locking again with my wifes smart key in the car.I had the same results. So I checked and it seems my her smart key isn't working. She doesnt drive it so now I need to see what is going on. Mine works hers doesn't I just checked the manual on pg 28 doors will not lock with smart key in vehicle.
  • Options
    When I ordered my Ultra my dealer said 2 to 60 days would be my lead time. I was also told Lexus publishes a list every two weeks showing what cars are going to what dealer. I'm lead to believe they check this list when it comes out and when they see my color pop up, they'll work a trade if it's not coming to them. Does anyone know how much truth there is in this. I'm in the Chicago market and ordered a Flint Mica.
  • Options
    My dealer always has a list of all inbound cars for the next 30 days so there must be a grander Lexus list. I have seen it when trying to co-ordinate my color selections in the past. The list tells you the day the car will arrive at the port and the estimated delivery date at the dealership. I also had the same experience with Mercedes (and its list) when I was cross-shopping the LS and S-class in 2001. However I did not get the feeling that the Lexus (or MB) dealers work well together on trades of car inventories or inbound cars. I'm in NJ.

Good luck.
  • Options
    animationguyanimationguy Member Posts: 12
    I got in my 2001 LS430 with Levinson/Nav package to trek into my animation company in Manhattan and
    to my amazement there was no audible sound coming
    out of the stereo system. I could hear the Nav system audio from the gal but none of the radio
    or CD selections would get me any audible result.
    Obviously I tried to crank up the volume dial many times.

Anybody have experience with this?
    There isn't some hidden mute function somewhere.
    Comments appreciated.
  • Options
    rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    There is a Mute button of sorts on the steering wheel if it is set to low volume. Don't think this is your problem though. The three buttons on the steering wheel are from the top, Increase, decrease, and preset. The preset position (my name for it) will set the audio of the radio/CD to the level that you have it set at when you push the button in and hold for a few seconds. The first time I used the preset button, someone had set the volume to full and I got quite a shock when the radio came on to full volume. I turned the volume all the way down to barely audible and held the preset button in for a while and now I use it as a semi-mute switch. I assume you pushed the volume knob on the radio in to turn on the power? I am not aware of a mute function in the nav system. I'll take a look at my 2004 LS and get back to you if I find one. The nav system volume is set on the Nav system set up area separate from the Radio/CD. Good luck.
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    If you have moved from an 01-03 LS into a into a new 04...Do you notice any significent difference in the two.

I am trying to decide if I want to move out of my low milage 01 ultra into the new one...I do like the new body style. I would probably get the custom package this time.
  • Options
    In response to Michael's querry: I have the 04 LS 430 with Smart Access, Nav & Levinson Hi Fi package, and having XM radio installed today (it takes a separate Toyota XM receiver mounted in the trunk). I enjoy the new model; however I don't notice any difference in the ride or power. I like the feature of shifting gears by toggle rather than feeling for the gear select. The nav system is useful and provides me with a challenge to learn all I can about how to use it effectively. The Smart Access is a great feature, I hardly ever take the key out of my pocket. Hope this helps with your search for comments.
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Thanks for the info.

Mike M.
  • Options
    I decided to upgrade my 01 Ultra to an 04 Ultra. I don't expect any difference in ride or power, but I am looking forward to bluetooth integration with cell phone, rear back up camera and smart access. At first I was going to wait for the 06 model to come out as that's when the next generation is due. But alas I don't think I can wait that long and I felt I was getting a good deal on the new model. That was in December. Since I inked the deal, I've learned my dealer has no idea when I'll see the car I upgraded to. Others on this forum have told me to think April...
  • Options
    Why is there such a long wait? This concerns me as I am going to lease a new car in April and have yet to order.

I did notice a bit of an improvement in power particularly in going 0-60mph. I assume it is due to the six speed tranny. I also felt the ride was a bit better. The back-up camera is great as is smart access and blue tooth and I like the more chiseled styling and the new colors.
  • Options
    New XM Radio works and sounds great, $9.99+ per month plus $14.99 activation fee. Audio controls through the Nav/Audio system. Ugly little black antenna (about 3 inch square and one inch thick)placed on the right side of the trunk lid. I'm sure a lot of folk will remark, "What's that ugly little black box on your trunk for?". This is the second unit the local dealer has installed in an LS 430, it requires an expensive and approved Toyota XM Reciever be installed in the trunk. The unit has been on order since last October, not sure why the wait (training or availablility?).
  • Options
    wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    What was the cost of the approved receiver?

Thx
  • Options
    Total dealer price of XM Radio for LS 430 = $782 including tax............... Much more expensive than add-on after market deals, but it is made to be compatible and operate thru the Lexus Nav/Audio System.
  • Options
    jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    It sounds like most of the vehicles my dealer is receiving includes this option. Aside from opening the doors and allowing you to start the car, what programable features does it allow? Does it set your seats/mirrors/preferred temperature settings/etc.when you approach the car? For those of you using it, do you think it is a good value or do you wish you had another $800 in your pocket instead?
  • Options
    The only thing that I use the Smart Access for is to open the doors and trunk without a key or push button and to start the car without a key. I am unaware of any program functions such as you questioned. The seats and mirror memories are still set by the buttons on the door. I see Smart Access as a state of the art item that allows one to open the door and drive away without digging around for a set of keys. Also, you are not supposed to be able to lock your Smart Access Key in the car. In answer to your question, "would I rather have the money?", I'd do it again.
  • Options
    The wait is mostly affected by what color and option level you want. The supply of Ultra's is smaller than Moderns.