Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    The LS system does not indicate which tire is low. In fact, the owner's manual states that the system will NOT detect two tires on the same axle being low, nor two tires on the same side of the car being low.
    Hope you get your Flint Mica UL after being so patient.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I had a readout "Low Pressure" and found a nail in one tire. I had a new tire put on and the dealer reset the "Low Pressure" warning. It came on several times after that and I returned to the dealer. They told me they recalibrated the unit. I hope they did not disconnect it. It has not come back on since nor have I had a tire inflation problem.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I'm done. Picking up a black on black nappa CL (MSRP of $64,995) tommorrow or Saturday. Dealer is picking up my last lease payment on my 2001 so I am taking the car earlier than planned as one came available due to a failed lease. I told them to put michelins on the car and cut a great month end deal. I also used Chase instead of Lexus Finance. My final lease was a zero down, zero security, $1500 damage waiver and $925 per month for 36 months and 15k miles per annum plus I am out of my old lease a month early. Anyone looking into leasing - make sure you look at Chase as they are running significantly better lease deals than LFS right now. LFS deal was $50 more on a 12K lease and $60 more on a 15k lease. Also late month deals are the way to go but you'll have to pick up the car within a few days of the month end. If not they can't count it in the month and won't deal.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Enjoy your new car. Let us know what your impressions are of the changes.

Use it in good health,
    Scott
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Just like many of you out there, I have been having a problem with the tire pressure monitor. Ever since I had the snow tires installed, it has been a constant problem. About 10 days agao, I had the original tires installed. Every time I reset the monitor, a few hours later, the "low tire pressure" error comes up. My Lexus dealer told me that just about every 2004 LS430 has been having a problem with the TPM. They think it is some kind of a software problem. The dealer also told me that Lexus is studying the problem & that they should come up with a solution soon. Stay tuned! It's too bad about this minor glitch in the system because otherwise, this car is absolutely fantastic.
    After driving the 2004 LS430 for a few weeks, I read in the owner's manual that Lexus was encouraging the use of 10% ethanol blend. Thus, instead of using premium, I started using ethanol about 3 months ago. My dealer was not even aware at the time that the owners manual was stating such a thing. I have had no adverse effect at all. In fact, the car runs just great at a savings of about 12 cents per gallon. I am wondering what sort of experiences all of you have been having with various fuels.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Congrats, and enjoy the car.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Enjoy...sounds like a great choice. What was your cap cost, residual, and money factor on the lease? I am too lazy to figure it out.

Good luck
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Enjoy the new car - use it in good health. What is the $1500 damage waiver? Is that something like another type of insurance you agree to with the leasing company to ignore up to that amount over "fair wear and tear"? If so how is that priced in?
    Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm really looking forward to the car and will pick it up tommorrow if the weather is decent or Saturday if its not.

Stevestein - The waiver is standard in the lease so if you have some minor damage Chase will waive it up to $1500. There's no cost.

wbwynn - I'll give you all the particulars tommorrow or Saturday when I get the papers. I did all this on the phone yesterday. Given that I got out of my last lease payment I got the car for a bit more than $4k off MSRP. If I was doing a 12k mile lease this deal would be about $150 cheaper than 2001 for more car. But I need the 15k miles as I need it for business. Still - with Chase that is only $17 more a month than 12k miles.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Congrats on the new car ! I thought this was an April Fool's joke, until I realised it had to be true :)

Just kidding, of course.

Like everyone else, enjoy the car in good health, and when the new car smell wears off, maybe you'd give us a comparo between your 1995, 1998, 2001 and 2004 models. That should make interesting reading.
    Thanks.

No joke - just a last minute thing because someone's lease didn't go through. Wouldn't have done the deal if they didn't take me out of my final lease payment. Also they had to locate the car still and I didn't want to take the chance that they wouldn't find one. Except for the silver I didn't like any of the custom lux colors they are still making and I didn't want silver again. So it may not have been easy to get the black. As well they had four black custim lux cars due in this month (April) and they were pre-sold. In fact every LS430 they are getting in April is already sold. I saw their sales board. Between business and this last minute thing I've got so much going on that I forgot it was April fools day.
    What cell phone do you have? I don't believe my phone is blue tooth compatible. Is there a list of compatible phones?

Smart access is great. I just have to get used to having the key in my pocket while I'm driving. Camera is a nice add on and very useful.

I remember those wood choices on the ultra in 2001. I think I know the purplish one you had. Reminded me more of granite than wood. ButI found those odd choices rather classy and different but nothing is like real rich wood on a car interior.
    I'm not edspider1, but I can tell you that I purchased the Nokia 3650 phone & it works just great with the blue tooth system on the LS430. There is also an Emerson phone & 2 others I believe that are blue tooth compatible.
    My wife drove the car.

The deal we had that the GX was hers and the LS was mine is not so solid anymore. Thank God I got the black interior as she prefers a lighter ecru like color. I feel like I'm on a rain/snow line right now. If I had gotten black with ecru or flint mica with ash on a mod lux pckge I would probably be a GX driver now.

cyclone4 - thanks. How do you like the car?

By the way - no tire pressure monitor issues for me.
    This is by far the best automobile I have ever owned. My previous car was a Cadillac STS that cost about $55,000. I was greatly disappointed with it. I had all sorts of problems with it besides the fact that it was rather noisy & uncomfortable to drive long distances in it. Here it is 3 years later, I spent about $10,000 more but I got an incredible machine. By the way, I have the flint mica with black interior following my wife's recommendation. I was considering the ecru, but I am very happy I went with my wife's wishes. It is very rich looking. She drives an RX300 & she has been very pleased with it. We are upgrading in the fall to the brand new RX330 hybrid. From what I have read, this will be quite an SUV.

As far as the TPM issue is concerned, it is not a big deal & I am sure that Lexus will come up with a good solution soon.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I have Sprint service, so I have the Sony Ericsson T608. You can't buy it in stores.

Everyone loves the flint mica and rich black interior. I noticed the front grill is bordered in chrome, but the slats are more of a satin nickel finish. It all flows beautifully with the dark grey. The other think I like about the color is it looks great in all lighting. Cloud, sunny, even flouresent.

I can't figure out a way to manually enter a phone number into the car's phone directory. It seems like I can only do a blue tooth send from my phone. And that isn't too great as it only takes the first phone for each contact.

The nav system is much improved. It has a lot of convenient features. I think I'll read up on them.

I tried the adapative head lights. It works so well you don't realize what's going on.

I love smart key, but learned that when you want to wash the car, put your key aside. While washing the car, the LS lights up. When water hits the door handle, it unlocks. 30 seconds later it would auto lock and then the cycle repeats.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Congrats to ljflx, cyclone4 and edspider1 on the new LSs! I hope all of you enjoy your cars.

On a side note, I was at my Lexus dealer over the weekend. My salesman said they received confirmation on Friday that the next GS would be launched March 1, 2005 (probably as a 2006). Also, there is apparently an owner's meeting later this week in which updates will be provided on the progress of future models. Note this meeting is not for salespeople or GMs, just owners.
    I thought I would share what I've learned.

A BT phone can be paired with the NAV system. When paired, incoming calls are announced and can be taken without touching the BT phone. You can also dial a phone number when not moving. Basically the car is a "handset" adaptor. It acts as a dialpad, speaker and mic.

Speed dials and directories are a different beast. You can't enter a phone number into the dialing directory using the Nav screen. Instead depending on your phone, you can "push" entries from your phone to the Nav. If your phone has a SIM (all GSM do), you can push the whole directory at once. Otherwise, you have to send each entry one by one.

There's more. If your phone is like most, you store a home, work, cell, etc under each contact. The Nav directory can't handle that so you'll only end up with one phone number.

The Nav only seems to hold 9 letters for the contact name, so it will be truncated.

I decided that since the NAV won't let you even use a speed dial when the car is moving, there is no reason to worry about populating it's directory. I just speed dial on my phone, but talk using the Nav.

I haven't looked at voice rec options. That might change things.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    You have available 17 speed dial positions which can be dialed by one touch while you drive, plus one other (18th) position which I use for redial of last dialed number. Set these up for your most often called numbers--it works great.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    How do I set a bookmark in Internet Explorer Favorites to come back to the page containing the latest postings in this board? I used to use

/direct/view/.ee9e745

But recently it has been taking me to the Townhall Welcome page.

Thanks for any help.
    Went to this page for me
    Usually if I click the same bookmark in Favorites a second time, after it has gone to the Welcome page, it does then go to this page. I am beginning to suspect that it may have something to do with signing in. Like: The first time I click it, it checks to see if I have signed in, and since I haven't, it goes to the Welcome page. But somewhere I have a cookie or other goodie that then does sign me in automatically. Therefore if I retry the same bookmark, the second time when it checks to see if I have signed in, it finds that I have and so it does go to the appropriate page.

But I'm only speculating. I need Pat/Host.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Going on a business trip next week, but week after will be taking the LS in for its next scheduled maintainance. I have an RX330 loaner waiting, but more importantly, will finally have an opportunity to test drive a 2004 LS 430. I am really looking forward to that test drive. I will also get to see what all the rave about the RX330 is all about after 2 days of temporary ownership.

Looks like you are really enjoying your new LS, and giving me something to look forward to already. If only my '99 will just develop a leak or break something real nasty that will make me wanna give it up right away ??? That will make the decision a no-brainer for the 2004.

BTW, the dealership (Longo Lexus, #2 Lexus shop in the US) told me they have a 6-week backlog of pre-sold RX400h. I didn't even know Lexus had released pricing for this car already ! Looks like another Lexus hit with their hybrid vehicles. I suppose this may make the 2007 GS and LS hybrid versions even hotter to purchase !!!
    The waitlist for the hybrids is going to get real long real fast. That LS car in 2007 will dominate the segment and will be a very hard car to get. The Germans have nothing close for the US market right now or its the worlds best kept secret. Buyers in this segment can't resist new technology that you can brag about. I was almost tempted to take a 4 year lease - beacause I'm anticipating a long waitlist - but resisted. By the way when was the last time you drove an S-class. I just drove one yesterday - a 2003 S500 - and there is nothing special or fun about its handling and its ride is a step behind the 2004 LS but maybe a step ahead of the 2001. A Euro LS is a superior handler but very hard to find. Maybe a 7-series is different as I haven't been behind the wheel of a new one.

You will love the RX - it's a much better vehicle than the prior one. It's a high-end lux vehicle now. The old one was more ES like. This one is more LS like.

By the way I'm down in Williamsburg VA, saw an old buddy and drove his S-class yesterday. He's happy with it so far but when I told him about the upcoming 2007 he said he will be an immediate buyer. He has an LX but has actually never driven an LS. He's coming my way in June and I told him he can lease the car for a day.

I just drove the GX470 325 miles and now realize how great an SUV it is. As much as I was enjoying it before - I appreciate it all the more now. wbwynn - you will love it when/if you get it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com /WebX? 14@ @.ee9e745

Jeez, you wouldn't believe what it took to get that information posted instead of interpreted!!! You have to put all of that together, removing the three spaces.

Or you can right click on this: sysop Apr 9, 2004 12:01pm (which is what I'm trying to show you, but it's interpreted here) and save the link (Copy Shortcut in IE), then paste that into a Favorite. But you must delete the information that will show up between the first and the second @s.

I am sorry this is so hard - I'll be happy to email the link to anyone who wants it. Please put Town Hall or something like that in the subject to help me find it amongst all the spam I get.

On another note, I'm actually surprised your URL has worked as long as it has - that cgi-bin stuff went away a while ago. :)
    Pricing has not been announced on the RX400h. My guess is that people that are getting in line are agreeing to buy at whatever the msrp turns out to be, and will have the opportunity to back out.
    My dealer asked if I wanted an extended warranty on my new 2004. I said no, but I wanted to order a 2007. He laughed, but hey, I'm serious. It would be nice if Lexus could let people sign up for the hybrid LS. Something that would let us get first dibs when it lands on our shores.

I can wait a few years. :) This 04 is just so fantastic, and I thought the 01 was as good as it gets.
    I don't know how these wait lists work, but my impression is that it is at the dealership level. Just ask your dealer if you can put $1000 down and be first in line for the 2007 LS hybrid...just make sure you get something in writing saying the deposit is fully refundable if you change your mind for any reason (though I think most states have laws would protect you anyway).
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi All,
      An unfortunate incident with the 92 LS (AGAIN!!) A contractor doing some repair work dropped a moulding on the car. The damage was limited to the RF quarter panel, chipping the paint in two (small) places to primer.

This part of the car was repainted about 7 mos ago due to an accident. It seemed like the panel didn't have as many coats of paint on it as the rest of the factory original finish. It sure doesn't seem nearly as durable.

The LS is supposed to have a Total of 4 coats of paint. Do the body shops repaint it in the same fashion? The shop that did the work, does all of the body issues for the local Lexus dealer. The bumper that they also painted seems to chip easily as well. Anyone have any experience with these body shop issues?

Thanks,
    SV
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    And just what will your recourse be if the dealer holds your deposit until 07 and then decides to renege on the deal?

Barrier Motors in Bellevue had my deposit (may of 98) on a year 2000 911 C4 allocated at the factory for me specifically and ordered under my name. Barrier sold it to a higher bidder the day it arrived.

They even denied having my money and said, "so sue me". The deposit refund arrived in the mail a few days later.
    Nothing prevents your scenario, but if the car does sell above list for awhile, then once it falls back to MSRP, hopefully the early-deposit customer would be able to get the first LS hybrid from the dealer that goes at MSRP.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Ok, I admit I read a post a few months back about running down the battery if the trunk is left open. I was caught in it this time and it was a trap that cost me.

I got to work and parked in the garage and popped the trunk just like every morning. This time, when I got out, I remembered that my briefcase was in the backseat and not the trunk. So I grabbed it and walked in the building.

Later, when I came out, my battery was completely dead because when the trunk is cracked, it kept my headlights and interior lights on all day. The car would not even turn over, and then, Lexus link kept coming on asking what is the emergency. Finally, after telling them I am fine, the cars system locked me out of putting the car in Neutral. I needed to back the car up to get the jumper cables in reach of the car. I tried to dis-arm the alarm with the keyfob, but them the battery was totally dead. After an hour, lexus link called again (battery must have found a bit of juice) and they "released" the lockout. Then I was able to get the car in neutral so I could back it out. It was a crazy day. That system should shut down if the battery is draining for more than 20 min. like on other cars.
    You are absolutely right. Lexus' software is definitely below par by American standards. Another example is the window lock switch. It prevents everyone from controlling the windows, even the driver! In American cars, it locks out the passengers (usually the kids), but not the driver.

By the way, what model year is your car? I am wondering if there is any trend of Lexus fixing these problems that have been commented on, here and elsewhere.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    There are so many items on the LS that can be adjusted by your service Tech...It would be worth while if you asked them if the window lock could exclude the drivers window.

It they say no, I would call Lexus and ask the same question ...Just to be sure...

That does seem dumb...I never lock my windows so I never noticed.
    I prefer it that the driver can only open the driver side window when windows lock is on. There have been a number of times I accidentally tried to open one of the other windows while driving. It's no big deal as the unlock is right next to up/down window switchgear anyway.

Edspider1 - We seem to be enjoying the new cars about equally. Really phenomenal car I must say. Today I had the steering wheel lock on me and had to jiggle it to be able to turn on the smart key switch to start the motor. It has happened to me before on just about every car I owned but when it happens the first time with smartkey it makes you think something is wrong with the smartkey control. You'll get a message that "the ST switch is locked" if this happens. It simply means the steering wheel didn't find its proper lock position when you shut the engine the last time you drove thus jiggle it into position while turning the smartkey switch.
    I've never seen "switch is locked", but sometimes, I do need to turn the wheel a bit to turn the starter. I guess I don't think about it. What I can't figure out is when I dial a call on my cell phone the "conversation" screen pops up. But half the time, my call is still on the phone and half the time - it's hands free. I can't seem to figure out how to force hands free. But then I haven't played with it much.

Everyone comments on the color. Flint Mica is a winner.
    Haven't utilized bluetooth yet. I'll let you know my experience when I do.

smartkey - you'll only see that message if you try to turn the smartkey switch to the far right and keep it in the turned position. If it is unable to move to the start position because the steering wheel is in a locked position then the message shows up. It may have said "unlock ST switch" instead of what I wrote earlier. I forget exactly what it said but the term "ST" is key.

I have also gotten a number of compliments on the black color and on the cars overall looks. People definitely notice the taller tires and the sharpened headlights as the distinguishing features from the prior edition. The flint mica is unique in that it is the first year for the color on the car and hence it is not often seen. When I picked my car there was a mod lux flint mica with ash parked right next to it. Buyer was picking it up the nexr day. The LS was a knockout in both the black and the flint mica to my eyes.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I'm sure you're all very busy, but if you 2004 owners get a chance, can you take digital snapshots of your new '04's (inside and out) and post them? I'd love to see them. I find the best way to see what these cars REALLY look like without dragging myself to the dealership is to check out ebay (the one's on the lexus website are either too "artsy" or downright horrible (build your own vehicle, etc.) -- but there aren't many '04 for sale on ebay yet as you might guess!

I know its a pain to do but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see your new babies firsthand in full digital glory! :)
    The trib auto column last weekend was about the LS 430. www.chicagotribune.com. You have register to read it, though. I'd cut and paste the whole thing, but I suspect that's not allowed. Sort of a light humorous review extolling the car's features, but also making light of its price and mileage.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Copying and pasting a copyrighted source is not allowed either by the source or by the Town Hall. ;-)

If you'd like to post a link to the article, that would be welcome - folks can register to read it if they'd like.
  • rockyballrockyball Member Posts: 22
    Took my 2002 LS430 in for 25k checkup-asked them to perform the Lexus Link message update-boy was I surprised-thought it was going to eliminate the message-but it was replaced with new message saying Lexus Link not activated and if I wanted it activated to press services button!! The new message appears to be longer than the old and more irritating!!
    You should sent that post to Letterman. He'll have the whole country rolling with that one.

Sometimes you just need to leave things well enough alone - I guess. There's gotta be a way of poisoning that woman's voice though. It's nice that the 2004 non-ultra models don't have it anymore.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    You mean there is no way to shut her up? I thought you could at least lower the volume on the thing or mute it or something.
    I was curious about the report of the window lock switch locking ALL windows including the driver's, so checked my '04 LS. I am happy that Lexus has "fixed" the '04 so that the driver's window is NOT disabled by the window lock switch. Now if they had also "fixed" the seat memory so that it can be memorized or recalled while in motion (like my '01 Cadillac), I would be really happy. I agree with Rennybosch about Lexus' software being inferior. Yes, the dealer can select options, but in other cars, the driver can do it without test equipment.
    It never locked the driver side window - just passenger and rear. It's been the same since 1995 and probably before. I think rennybosch meant that the driver should be able to lower any window regardless of whether the window lock is on or off. But I prefer it as is.

I agree with you on the memory switch. If you change to a better position while driving you have to remember to set it before your spouse or someone drives the car and changes your setting. It's kind of stupid to shift the car to park at a traffic stop to store a the new setting or reset your old one but I've done so. What is really irritating is to pull out of a parking garage after a valet parks your car and changes everything but your seat position. Your tricked into thinking everything is fine until you need the outside mirror when you are in motion. I doubt this is bad software and somehow I see the lawyers at work behind the scenes.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I rather doubt of anyone would relish being "crushed" forward against the steering wheel at 75MPH having accidently activated the slender 5' trophy wife's memory button.
  • rockyballrockyball Member Posts: 22
    Called service advisor concerning new message-he said that under warranty that they would "take out" the Lexus Link and that would eliminate the message (but of course could not activate in the future) or they could turn down the volume so that it would not be as loud. My choice--
    As far as the bluetooth phone is concerned, which phone did you get? If it's the Nokia 3650, all you need to do is go to the main menu & search for "connectivity". Then go to bluetooth. It will give you options about hands free or not hands free. You need to click "yes" for hands free operation.