Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Agree - but maybe if you are in motion it can be set to fix only the mirrors and not the seat position. It's pretty obvious this is not really a Lexus software issue and is tied to legal responsibilities as set by each manufacturer. Ever since that ridiculous hot coffee incident they are all very careful about any "on the fence" issues. Even my hot cocoa packets say use only hot (as in not boiling) water.
  • Options
    sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Rockyball,
       You can lower the volume of the message. Look on near the sunglass compartment, the Volume button next to the Lexus Link Buttons. (Next to the Memo Button) I had the same issue on my LS430 and managed to lower the volume so that message is a tolerable whisper.

Hope this helps,
    SV
  • Options
    sstrichsstrich Member Posts: 2
    I am about to take delivery of 2004 ls 430. How good is the bluetooth? Is the hands-free sound quality/phone reception good? Does it drop calls or encounter a lot of interference? Does anyone think/know if the brand of phone makes a difference? Overall, does this function work as well as advertised? Thanks.
  • Options
    edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I'm almost deaf and have never been able to carry on a conversation in friend's built in cell phone cars. But I find the sound quality is outstanding in the LS. Even humming along at 75mph (oops, I mean 55), callers don't known I'm on a speaker phone. In the future I would be hard pressed to buy a car without it. I hope it becomes more common place as it's the best application of bluetooth I've seen. I don't experience better or worse call dropping. I don't think the brand is important - but each brand has different ways to set up and connect. Some are easier than others. I have Sony Ericcson as that's all Sprint supports. I like the phone and SE is big in Europe where Bluetooth is also big.

You will love your LS. I came from an 2001, so I was pretty spoiled when I took my 2004.
  • Options
    chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    The way to protect against the "crushed against the steering wheel" scenario that wwest describes is to require that the button be held depressed (rather than a momentary press) to move the seat while in motion. This is what my Cadillac did. Plus it could also be memorized to a new position while in motion.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    the 911/996 works that way too, allows me to have the last memory button position tilt the outside mirrors down about 3 degrees at night.
  • Options
    sstrichsstrich Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. Do you also have "smart access." If so, do the two ever interfere with each other. This will be my 3rd LS...have loved each one. Thanks
  • Options
    rockyballrockyball Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the tip-it does indeed lower the volume-wonder if that was what the service dept was going to do? I'll see if I can live with this for a while-
  • Options
    animationguyanimationguy Member Posts: 12
    THANKS! for this tip (of turning the memo volume to the lowest setting)

P.S. ...and if you leave your favorite CD on at an ambient volume level - when you first start up the car you won't even hear the
    "whisper" of the annoying Lexus Link message)
  • Options
    You just missed a great business opportunity. I'm sure every Lexus buyer would have paid you $10-$20 for the luxury info you just provided. With about 80k or so unit sales in 2001-2003 you could have made a cool million.
  • Options
    feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Do you consider the 2004 LS430 a great improvement over the 2001 model? Wanted to wait for the 2006 model change, but may be willing to part with my '01 ultra for the '04 model. what is your opinion? (hard to overcome that can't wait syndrone)
    Thanks
  • Options
    edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I'm glad I upgraded. I felt the 01 was at its peak value in December and the dealers were selling under list. The feature changes are 6speed, adaptive lamps, bluetooth, backup camera, and smart key are all great fun. The new model is a little quieter, drives tighter, and accelerates smoother. The nav is more sophisticated. The custom/ultra trim has a great black w/antique walnut which is much richer than then what they had in 01. They styling changes are subtle but extremely well executed. I have no regrets. I suspect MY 07 will be in big demand. And I can wait more patiently now.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more with edspider1 and I'll add that the body build and fit and finish surpass 2001 as well - and that's no easy task given the great build of that car. 2007 model will be very desirable and in high demand given the upcoming redesign and the likelifood of a hybrid that will get phenomenal gas mileage and be very fast at the same time.
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    I got a letter from Lexus saying I can bring my car in for a FREE disconnect of the Lexus Link system. They will replace the sunglass holder fixture with a new one that doesn't contain the Lexus Link buttons.

The downside is that this operation is not reversible. In other words, if I ever want the stupid announcement back, I won't be able to get it.
  • Options
    hage57hage57 Member Posts: 24
    I have just driven my '04 LS430 Ultra 1,000 miles and couldn't agree more with what has been said about the differences between the '01 and the '04 models. I have one question concerning the door locks. Like my '01,when I place the gear selector out of park, the doors lock; unlike my '01, when I move back into park, the doors do not unlock (especially troublesome for the rear seat passengers). Is this something that I can change or must the dealership change this? Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    The dealer has to do this, if it was Cadillac electronics you could do it.
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    My O1 ultra was orginally set up like yours and the dealer changed it for me...I am he can do the same on an 04...
  • Options
    wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    It's being reported through Fox Financial that Toyota will sign up with Sirius Satellite Radio soon for just about all models (hence Lexus too). Anyone heard more about this? They do hate GM which owns part of XM Satellite Radio.
  • Options
    jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    Anyone try this new model phone with Bluetooth to connect to the 04 LS? Lexus appears slow to test new models and say they are compatible.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    They have several projects together including NUMMI.
  • Options
    jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    Just wanted to say thanks to whoever it was who suggested that the "lexus link is active" reminder at startup can be quieted by adjusting the volume switch near the sunglasses holder. It worked great! Now the lexus link lady is quiet as a mouse in my car.
    Thank you...
  • Options
    barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    IS THERE A WAY TO RETROFIT A BLUE TOOTH TELEPHONE FOR A 2001 LS430 ULTRA?
  • Options
    Verizon Wireless doesn't have any blue tooth phones from what I can gather. Anyone know otherwise.
  • Options
    Verizon doesn't have any bluetooth and the Sprint retail stores don't have them either although the SE T608 was available on their site. To answer my own question I did stop by ATT Wireless and played with the V600 enough to register it to the Lexus and call it to see that it mutes the stereo and plays through the car speakers. There is probably fuller compatibility testing that needs to be done to see about switching a handset call over to the car when you enter the vehicle, etc. I am thinking about getting the phone on the 30 day trial and will report to the group my findings unless someone else has already checked out the phone and beats me to it. Of note, this is the only Bluetooth flip phone sold by any carrier in the U.S.
  • Options
    rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    http://lexus.letstalk.com/product/browse.htm/depId=1/pgId=100/bra- ndId=201/cmpId=224/to=3839
    The above web site has five blue tooth phones for my zip code area. The site was recommended by my local Lexus dealer. I am still checking out AT&T for my area. It appears that Blue Tooth phones work as GSM phones and do not have the same coverage as the digital network. Sprint responded by e-mail and suggested I check in with the local Sprint store for Blue Tooth phone i.e. "Currently, the only Blue Tooth handset offered by us is the Sony Ericcson T608. To get further information regarding this handset, please visit your nearest Sprint Store." Verizon's response by e-mail follows: "We appreciate your interest in the incorporation of Bluetooth Technology with Verizon Wireless services. At this time we do not offer products to support this technology. However, our Research and Development Team has been studying the ability to incorporate Bluetooth technology with our products and services." I'm still shopping.
  • Options
    I got that same message. The problem for me is I've been with Verizon for 7+ years and as far as I know they have the best network. It can't be too much longer before they have bluetooth compatibility.
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I believe T-Moble also has blue tooth.
  • Options
    The list for my zip code in NJ from rgsw's earlier link has 8 phones. Just put in your zip and check bluetooth enabled. In my area its T-mobile, GSM, Cingular & AT&T.

http://lexus.letstalk.com/product/findProducts.htm/depId=1/pgId=1- - - - 00
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    For those of you who had an 01 LS430 and now have an 04: Does it have the same tight turning radius?

I have heard no one else comment on this before, but one of the many nice things about the LS430 is its very short turning radius. Makes it easier to park, etc. I have noticed that when I get a loaner from my Lexus dealer, even if it is another, lesser Lexus, it seems to have a larger turning radius. So I sure hope Lexus hasn't lost this unheralded feature in the 04.
  • Options
    I agree, kudos to Lexus for the tight turning radius on the '04 LS430
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    radius of the '01 LS is not so bad either, compared to the other cars I've driven, particularly Cadillacs.
  • Options
    allan441allan441 Member Posts: 15
    I have an ATT Nokia 6310i, which is Bluetooth compatable and GSM. I bought it on EBay. You can get this phone "unlocked", which means that it will work on any system. With a GMS phone, you have to have a chip. Most of the phones come with a chip,and all you have to do is call your carrier and they will set up the phone, if they are using GSM. Be aware that for ATT, the GMS is not as good as digital in the fringe areas. This particular phone works very well with the Bluetooth in the Lexus. You should also keep in mind that you can only dial numbers that you have programed in the "1 touch" memory, when the car is moving over 3 miles/hr.
  • Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I had the pleasure of test driving the '04 LS430 on Saturday. Now I need to put this in context: My 99 LS was in for regular service, and I had an '04 RX330 loaner which I drove for upwards of 200miles. Then I took the 04 LS for a spin around town. Now I can compare the three and my driving experience. What a car ! Comparing the '04 LS to the '04 RX and '99 LS was like night and day. A quick word on the '04 RX: We all liked it, quiet, refined, smooth, comfortable and roomy. As expected for a car-like SUV, steering feel was numb and unresponsive. My kids loved it for its roominees and comfortability. The V6 engine was fast enough merging with traffic, and once you get it going, it drove real strong.... but pulling off from a stop had a bit of noise level to the engine.... Braking was super sharp ! Had many moments seeing this happen in LA traffic.

Now to the LS. Wow ! What is not to like about this car? I had the misfortune to test drive one in a color that my wife and I do not care for. It was a brownish color - I suppose it is called Briarwood. This color turned my wife off right away. For me, it was the driving pleasure; my test report will not be confused for that of a C&D, or R&T reviewer for I am no enthusiast !

Now I really understand why you '04 LS owners rave about the car. Just spectacular car. Flat out killed my '99 LS in every way - ride, handling, nimbleness, noise level, comfortability of the seats, ergonomics. About the only thing I prefer in my '99 over the '04 is the exterior look. That's it. The perforated leather seats on the '04 were super soft on your rear behind :) I wanted to sit in it all day long. The ride was so quiet I could swear the car was not running. There was a nimbleness to the car that was astounding for such a big car (~4000Ib). I had test driven a 2002 LS a couple of years ago, but this '04 was even more nimble, if one can believe that. The 17" tires were much stickier than the 16" on my '99. The tranny downshifted very quickly, purposefully, and narry a strain. Pulling into traffic, the V8 was so strong, I had it in 80 within seconds and I didn't even feel it. My 45 min test drive was not enough time to put the car through its paces, but it was more than enough to convince me to buy one. My wife says the current style is not one she'd like, but likes the picture of the LF-S I showed her, so the redesigned version will do it for us. We'll wait a couple years to get the MY 2007.

My test car was the base with no Nav/ML or smart key, and the 17" wheels. Didn't get to test out Smart Key which was a disappointment to me. All the '04 with SK were sold and were in the prep station in the dealership, so I couldn't take them out for a test drive. That was why all I had was the base car with no frills.... One thing though: the price for the base car stickered for $57,2K, which I thought was not much mark-up considering my loaded '99 (with Nav/HID/etc) stickered for $53,4K in Nov 1998. 6 yrs and ~10% price increase !!! All in all, a great car and should be a runaway success for Lexus.
  • Options
    You nailed it. It's too bad you didn't get to enjoy a CD in the ML stereo. The nav is fantastic on this car also. The drive is really the smoothest I've ever experienced but the car's handling is tight at the same time. To me there is plenty of road feel but Lexus just keeps the cabin so quiet with a virtually silent engine. The acceleration though is dangereous if there are troopers around. I've gotten myself to 90 and looked at the spedometer in disbelief.

They did a great job with the RX. It has a nice lux ride and is noticably smoother and quieter than the first gen car. As I said before the first one was more ES like while this one is more LS like. It's a huge seller in my area and most of them are topping out in the $40's. This will probably be a banner year for Toyota.

By the way - it really isn't a 10% hike over your 99 car. There are things made standard now and as well the car has added things on it like the 6 speed.

Does your 99 have the nakamichi?
  • Options
    bwm4bwm4 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering buying a 2004 LS 430. Does anyone know if there will be any changes for the 2005? When will major body changes be made.
    Thanks for your help
  • Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    My '99 has Navigation which in the '98-'00 series, cannot be combined with the Nakamichi system. Rather, those with Nav comes with what Lexus described as Premium sound system. May be part of the reason why in the 3rd gen series, Lexus went with ML instead of Nakamichi to combine with the Nav setup.
  • Options
    Yes - that's what I heard about the parting with Nakamichi. The Nak was a great stereo also. I didn't have the nav until 2001 and I did have the Nak in my 98 LS. I'm pretty sure the premium system is a Pioneer.
  • Options
    OK, you guys convinced me not to wait for "07. Put my order in today for the Custom Lux Mystic Gold edition. It's my understanding that not many gold ones come with Custom Lux, so I may have a little wait. Wonder if I can get it with the Pilot Sport tires.

Elaine is happy because she'll be in the "01 Ultra, which she really likes and is a step up from the '98 LS with the HD Nav and it's limited update info.

But for these posts, I'd probably still be satisfied with my '01.
  • Options
    Congratulations. Sorry my posts and others pushed you over the edge though. The mystic gold is indeed one of the few colors for the custom lux. Does this mean you will have a his and hers LS combo. I just came from that.

By the way - when I picked up the LS a few weeks ago I took the SC out for a spin. That is also one sweet car.

You will love this 2004 LS but with friends like us .... One of my best friends is a jeweler. Needless to say it costs me alot of money just to stop in and say hello.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I haven't driven an '04 LS. Other than cosmetic differences and the new transmission, are there any significant improvements in the '04?
  • Options
    Besides the minor styling changes, the '04 has a 6-speed transmission which brings the 0-60 to 5.9 sec with the same engine, Parking assist sonar, perforated cooled seats on the base model which were only on the CL/UL in the past, adn a better Nav system, Bluetooth handsfree phone, tire pressure monitors and probably a few things I left out.
  • Options
    04 also adds smart key, 17" whels that are more stylish as well, and a camera that shows whats behind the car thru the nav screen as you back up. I believe there are also some more air bags. The ride and handling is also improved. In general the refresh gives the car a more muscular and a bolder sportier look.
  • Options
    For anyone interested Lexus has added its magazine to Lexus.com. But you may need your vin # to iniate it.
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Are they really standard in the '04?
  • Options
    Yes. I have seen them even on the premium cars. The book on the LS doesn't say that's the case but it is. The CL ans ultra can have nappa leather as options.
  • Options
    mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    I have a 2001 LS 430 and am considering adding blue tooth technology to allow hands free cell phone use. Have loads of questions: how does it work? what is your experience? what phone are you using? how much to install? and on and on! Will appreciate any/all assistance. Thanks
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I just don't see how this vehicle can get any better. Right now it seems like the "perfect" package and a great value in the right markets.

Of course styling is subjective but IMO the '04 is "just right" -- conservative AND subtly sporty.

Is there ONE feature you can think of that this car does not have that you'd want? As of right now, I can't.
  • Options
    AWD - maybe - not if it hurt the spectacular ride though. The upcoming hybrid engines would be a second thing and the ability to have 18" tires on any suspension would be a third. The car is as close to perfect as you can get and I also love the styling with the redesigned front lights and grille. Handling is excellent and ride quality is - well - simply put - the best of any car I've ever been in.

Bluetooth - make sure you carrier has it. Verizon wireless doesn't.
  • Options
    Well now, and I know that there are many who may not agree with me, but an option for velur instead of leather; warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I had that option on my '90 LS--red seats and dash and trim--beautiful, durable, and oh, so comfortable.
  • Options
    ifpskenifpsken Member Posts: 39
    My son works for Verizon, customer service, Bluetooth phones will be supplied by Motorola through Verizon fairly soon.