Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I weight 250# and have not noticed a problem in the 2001, 2002, or 2004 LS430. I'm sure you have moved the seat bottom forward, independent of the seat back have you not? This seems to give more leg support and makes for a longer seat bottom. If the seat seems to buckle or shift, bring it to the attention of the Lexus Service folk. Good Luck.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Very comfortable and with so many adjustments to pamper.

OAC/syswei - mags are reporting the super LS is August 2006. I'd bet its a 90/10 likelihood we get the next ordinary LS with hybrid options in Sept. 2005. This 600hp LS is being picked up by everyone so it's becoming a very safe bet. That is going to be a near impossible car to match, let alone beat.

new Acura RL - you have to love that traffic report tie-in to the nav system. I guess the next thing after that is adding doppler weather radar imagery from the weather channel.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I find very little value in the air suspension, and none in the back seat controls..If the front seat vibrated, that would be useful..The laser control speed setting is a nice feature and I use it alot...Strange that I find it most useful in heavy traffic when I get in the slower lane and just drive along..Still no hundred thousand dollar Lexus for me..Too many grandchildren to think about
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The custom lux was supposed to have air suspension as an option. Since I don't care for much of the "gimmicks" in the UL I have refused to upgrade from my 92.

I like the "handling" consistency of an all leather steering wheel and worry about the slipperiness of the wood during an emergency manuver.

I think those old time all wood and/or all plastic (bone?) steering wheels went away because many of us didn't wish to wear driving gloves constantly.

I'd much rather that the steering wheel wear the "gloves" rather than I.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    The mags are notoriously wrong in predicting Toyota/Lexus releases. Despite this skepticism, I am inclined to believe that the super LS is definitely coming sooner rather than later. August 2006, eh ? Well.... well... It will be priced out of my range so I won't sweat it. I am interested in the *regular* LS, hopefully with a hybrid engine option (hopefully). But not in 2005! How so ? Whatever happened to the 3-yr cycle for the LS which should take the current refresh through the summer of 2006 ? Geez... My purchase plan was for 2006 not 2005! Gotta have to make some adjustments if I am to be able to buy this car next year !!
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    All three of my cars, my XKR, LS, and RX, have wood and leather steering wheels. I have not noticed any sort of "slipping" problem associated with a wood steering wheel. Have you noticed that in the years since most steering wheels were all wood, they're about 1\2 the size and twice as thick? That contributes a lot to quick response grip more than materials, I think.
    I think if all things were the same - you'd get the next LS in Sept. 2006. But given the new styling and worldwide debut of the brand, and the ability to trump the field with the hybrid the schedule moves up anywhere from 9 months to a year. As for 2006 being your year - don't sweat it. They'll be heavy demand for that new LS in the first 6 months - so just let the frenzy die down at that time. I'm good until April 2007 now. So I'm a year behind you.

The 600HP car will be a low volume car but it will have a large halo effect on the Lexus brand. I'm pretty sure you'll get a sport coupe with very high HP At some point for its halo effect as well.
    Yes, Lexus has been tossing around the idea of a $100K sports car to go against NSX. That Italdesign styled "Voltra" coupe thing was a very early concept.
  • sploguesplogue Member Posts: 53
    I don't know if the information is the same for the 2004 model.

I know the speed sensor wire for the 2001-2003 LS models is violet/white and is located behind the nav screen. On the GS models, the wire is a different color and can be easily accessed from a wiring harness in a kickpanel. No such luck for the LS.

Sean
    I couldn't make the HID headlamp leveling system on my 01 AWD RX raise the headlamps 2 degrees because the road speed information was being conveyed to the leveling ecu via serial info on a LAN, Lexus multiplex communication system. Worked fine stopped or at low speed but not above ~10MPH.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Been driving around in the new SC, but still have the LS for another month until the wife's RX arrives. Hard on the brain. Have fun in the SC, then go into the LS and get pampered. Definitely another LS in '07 (probably MY '08), but my SC 39 mo lease gives me 4 summers and I felt like doing something "wild". Wish I could afford one of each! What a fine family of cars. I'll say it here, so I won't draw the ire of merc1, as a former owner of 2 MB I don't even think of going back. Bought the SC and RX without ever considering a trip to another showroom.
    That was the case with me. I did some serious cross-shopping in 2001 but never even thought about it here in 2004. Closest thing I did was call King BMW because I saw 7-series leases advertised so low I couldn't believe it and then I found you could do even better. There was virtually no price difference in comparative $0-down leases of my $65K custom lux and a $77K 745LI. But I never even bothered to test drive it though I am curious about its ride. With the decline of the German marques and Lexus just getting better and better its very hard to even consider leaving the Lexus fold let alone doing it - at least for me. Perfection, quality and a growing heritage blow away prestige, slipping quality and past heritage any day and even more so when the prestige factor is slipping every day. Just heard another recall of more than 400,000 PT cruiesrs on the news. Daimler has over 1 million cars under recall at the moment. BMW has just admitted the new 7-series was a mistake. Think about that.
    Smart sticking with your car...I must say though, the last designed (I think)01, really beat my previous three Lexus cars. I trade every four years or there abouts. The looks of the car has gone down imo. Too much chrome, but the inside and ride are superior...About to replace the tires, and will report on that experience

On side subject,,my friend purchased a Mecreced for his wife. Got her just what she wanted..She drove the car two hundred miles, and did not feel safe in it(c230) went back to dealer to upgrade to an E class, and dealer wouldn`t do it..It`s a frre country, but the dealers are so hard to work with that it really detracts from the car..Lexus on the otherhand is very comfortable to deal with..Not to say they are perfect, far from it, just way better than the Mercedes dealer.The Mercedes service dept has gotten better, where the Lexus has dropped alot in the last few years..Tony
    I havent noticed any decline in the quality of Lexus' service department. I bought my first LS in '96. I basically had had it up to here with my unreliable 500SEL and the MB dealer. I was deciding between a 740 and the LS400. The 7 was ok, but I had heard some very negative stories from friends about BMW dealers and service, and the dash design was just awful. Mediocre stereo too. The LS was a revelation. Clean, simple lines, quiet, extremely comfortable, and :gasp: I could use ALL of the HVAC and stereo controls without reading 1 page of the manual. Its like an actual human being and not a computer designed the controls. What held true in '96 at least around here still holds true today. M-B and BMW controls have gotten even MORE confusing, the dealers at least in my area are still "better than you" snots, their service sucks, and the stereos are still mediocre. I'm not going back to "german engineering".
  • helmarhelmar Member Posts: 15
    I have an '03 LS430 Custom. Previously, I had a '99 LS400.

As the head of a software department for an eCommerce company, I found that our customers were by far my richest
    source of ideas for product improvement.

As a Lexus owner, I have yet to be asked by Lexus for my opinions on the car, or what changes I'd like to see.

I find that quite puzzling. If asked, my response would be:

Pros:

1. VERY comfortable and quiet. All of the controls are in just the right place and are easy to use.

2. Except for the reluctance to downshift, a quick car, which I enjoy.

3. The turning radius is wonderfully small.

4. The laser cruise control is the one "Gadget" that I use all the time. I wish it would work in inclement weather though.

5. Some owners don't seem to like the partial wood steering wheel. I really like it.

6. The navigation system (My wife calles her "Molly") is excellent and easy to use. When my wife tells me where to go, Molly tells me how to get there.

Cons:

1. Far to aggressive climate control system. I'm often manually setting the fan speed down from high.
    The new Chrysler 300C has a selection for High auto or Low auto. Something like that would help.

2. The relutance to downshift under moderate throttle. This has caused me to abruptly abort merging attempts several times. I consider this a safety issue.

3. The external styling of the LS430 isn't as gracefull as the LS400.

4. I know you shouldn't, but sometimes it sure would be nice to be able to set the navigation system without stopping.

Suggestions:

1. If they had an AWD version, I'd trade my '03 right now.

2. Add that climate control maximum fan speed switch.

3. Lose the voice activation system for navigation and climage control. It only seems to understand me about 10% of the time
    and who can remember those 200+ commands?

4. PLEASE stop nagging me every time I start the car about my Lexus Link system being active. Only tell me when it ISN'T active (Which I understand will be all the time in a year or so...)

HBH
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I have an 01 ultra, I pretty much agree with all of your pro's and con's but do have a couple of suggestions.

1) On the lexus link you can turn down the volume to the lowest setting you will still be able to hear it but I hardly notice mine and it no longer annoys me.

2)I think If you pre-set your Nav. to previous destinations... it will allow you to change while on the fly..(I am pretty sure that is true?)

3) I also wish they would take out the disclaimer on the Nav. screen everytime I start start the car.

4) I also love the laser cruse control and will Never own another car without A Navagation system.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Here's another little improvement in the 04 over its predecessors. The dynamic cruise control (I guess that narrows my comments to just the Ultra Lux and the Custom Lux) now has an incremental change capability that I have sorely missed in the 01. On the 01, you had to drive the desired speed and then set the cruise. If you then came to a lower speed limit area, you had to cancel the cruise control, slow to the desired speed, and then set it again. After you passed the lower speed-limit zone, you had to speed up to the right speed and then set the cruise control again. In other words, you have to keep your eye on the speedometer to make any speed adjustment until the adjustment is completed.

Now in the 04, once you have set the cruise control, pushing the lever up increases the set speed to the next higher multiple of 5 mph, and pushing it down lowers the speed to the next lower multiple of 5 mph. So now when you come to an area where the speed limit is 10 mph lower, you just push the lever down twice, and the car will automatically slow to the proper speed. Similarly, when you leave the reduced-speed zone, you just push the lever up twice and the car resumes your earlier speed. Never have to take your eyes off the road.

When I first used this feature, I thought the increment should have been 1 mph rather than 5, but now I have become used to it and I think the 5 mph increment is actually more convenient.
    What has happened down here is that the dealership has had such success that it is way too small for the thousands of cars that they have sold..As I understand they are going to take over the toyota building (owned by same guy)next door, and hopefully we`l be back where we were, with the best service...As we have been with them from the beginning, and know how it was, the guys all say they are sorry, even though they still try, but they just can`t deliver as they use to.. I understand and will stick with them..

I agree with the above posts, but Lexus for some reason asks me through surveys what I think..I tell them my opinion, but so far they have just added more chrome..Wwest`s car is more handsome imo..I guess it is just the headlight chrome , and a massive amount of it that overwhelms the front...No mattr what, it is a good value, and a very dependable car in comparison to the other guy(Mercedes)and I guess BMW. Who ever said the a/c fan is poor is right imo. Tony
    That's the way my 92 LS works, my 2000 GS300, and my 01 AWD RX300. And my 94 Ford Aerostar.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi All,
      It's nice to hear some objective statements about the LS. Helmar, I agree with everything you've said..All those cons are the reason I still held onto my 92 LS..I've kept buying the newer LS cars simply to keep a newer car around. Although the styling is lacking, the LS series is probably the most dependable car out there.

I saw the Motor Trend sketch of the 07, but wasn't overly impressed. It's an improvement over the LS430, but is still abit bland for my tastes. Perhaps the drawing doesn't do the design justice, but I wish Lexus would rehire those Italian designers they had for their original cars.

SV
    Toyota's "supercoupe" concept was penned by Italdesign. Perhaps they will. The Quattroporte is the best looking 4-door EVER, but I seriously doubt they could get Pinninfarina.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    I've only seen 1 mph steps up or down as described on pages 324 and 325 of the owner's manual.
    I haven't found any of these precise enough to measure, a "toggle" increases speed by some undefined amount.

On my RX 3 toggles get me approximately 5mph increase.
    lexusguy - you really like that car? I find it rather hideous. It makes the 7 series look good to me. Plus the front looks like it was stolen from a Jag and the car in general has 7-series type of looks from the side. For the most part I love the Italian designs - but not that car. It's one of the worst looking 4 door sedans I've ever seen.
  • bcleepebcleepe Member Posts: 53
    I just got a free update from the dealer on the navigation DVD. I notice that it is version 03.01. Anyone know if this is the latest version available or not?
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I've got an '04 Custom Lux and the adjustment is 5 mph with the Laser Cruise. Had occasion to use it today and glad it only took 2 taps to drop 10 mph in going from a 45 to a 35 and the local speed trap was working radar. Haven't gotten my V1 installed yet so been staying within the limits most of the time.
    yeah I think the Quattroporte is down right sexy, but I guess not even Pinninfarina can work for everyone.
    You are right of course, many other cars have had this feature for a long time, including Lexi, EXCEPT those with the dynamic (laser) cruise control. Now in the 04 even those have it.

Renny

PS. I realize you don't think much of the laser cruise control. But I sure like it.
    commented on the laser cruise control?

If so I don't remember and I don't at the moment have an opinion one way or another other than to say I don't think I would buy that option unless included with a package I wanted.
    My favorite LS 430 features:

1) Nav. system
    2)laser Cruse control.
    3) The way the bottom of the drivers seat can slide out for more thigh support.
    4) The sport and power settings when I am in the mood to use them (rare..but still cool)

My least favorite:

1) Through the seat cooling, Doesn't seem to work all that well.
    2) The cost of Lexus link $5 per mo. would be a reasonable price not $20
    3) All the back seat stuff rarely used.

Nice features not in my top 4

Automatic Wipers, the folding outside mirrors, The ability to run down the rear headrests from the drivers seat, ML of course. The very tight turning radius for such a large car.
    Has anyone experienced the Radar guided cruise system with the "pre-collision" system?
    ... that you didn't like the dynamic cruise control because it isn't on the 92 LS400 (world's finest automobile ever). Or maybe I confused the Nav system with the dynamic cruise - the two features everybody else loves but one of which you hate, and I got the wrong one? Just kidding - Renny
    Yeah those NAV system's are just such a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], I hate not having to fumble with giant maps or ask for directions. (Well ok, BMW's ARE a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] :)
    Maybe the 5 mph comes with the Laser Speed Control system???
    How do you like the new Chrysler 300 for looks????
    It looks like a big slab of something. Doesnt do much for me
  • lexus lslexus ls Member Posts: 10
    I think chrysler 300 is an improvement over the concord. But i still don't like the way it looks like it is weighted down. It looks like it is made out of tank like materials. The large grill is nice but the lack of lexus like features draws me away from it. plus the dependability of the transmissions in those chrysler, dodge, and jeep are terrible. But you can't even compare that car to a lexus, a MB or a BMW.
    A nice attempt and in general not a bad looking car. But the grill is too massive and the rear and sides of the car are very much a copy of the Cadillac CTS to me. The roofline is different though but somehow it seems to resemble the Seville roofline from the 1970's with its top hat look. Overall the car is a little too tank-like. If I were buying in that league I'd be more drawn to the Cadillac based on looks - plus they've got a much nicer grill on the CTS. I've also seen a few 300's on the road now and I thought the car looked better in pictures than in person. But it does seem to be a lot of car for the money and a good family sedan option in its class. I liked the old 300 looks but I rented one in Florida a few years ago and didn't like the car at all.
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    Back on May 24th (Msg # 5807), I posted the following:

"During the 1000 mile/30 day service on my LS, I asked my dealer to reset the auto door lock function to operate when the car speed exceeded 12mph rather than when the transmission is taken out of Park. This option is described on page 48 of the owner's manual. When I picked up the car, I noted on the invoice that the technician "did not find programming change in the computer to allow for doors to lock at speeds of 12 mph...". To make a long story shorter, the Service Advisor and Duty Service Manager basically told me that it couldn't be done, that the owner's manual was probably incorrect, and they could not (or would not) produce a copy of the '04 CBEST settings for the LS. I had earlier been shown a copy of what turned out to be the 2002 LS CBEST which said the locking function could be changed to 5mph - their reaction was that Lexus must have dropped the option for 2004. They advised me to take up the issue with "the factory". Customer service at its finest!!"

After a long discussion with Lexus Customer Service in Torrance (they have not yet gotten back to me) and a longer discussion with my selling dealer's Customer Satisfaction Manager, I got a call from the dealer service advisor. He said that they had just received a new computer program from Lexus that allowed the technician to 'unlock' additional functions in the CBEST handheld setting equipment. I took the car in yesterday and after one hour, including a wash job, I now have auto door locking at 12mph just like the manual says!
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Good for you Tom. Persistence pays off.
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    When my son took delivery of a 2001 BMW 325, the sales rep went through the entire list of programmable features and determined my son's preferred settings. These were programmed during the delivery prep. That should be added to Lexus's delivery program.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    Thanks for the info about the door locking function- I will be after my dealer!
    JFZ

There is about 7 pages of programable stuff on the LS430, you kind of need to drive it awhile to determine what you want to change if anything.
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    I'm still looking for someone to post the CBEST options for the 2004 LS430...
  • wil1688wil1688 Member Posts: 16
    Hello, everyone,this will be first Lexus. I am interest on a 04 ls430, debating on either stanard cashmere leather w/the modern luxury or the ecru leather w/the custom luxury. Can you geys give me the pro and con of either one. My interest will be in comfort and durability. I am hoping to keep this car for a long time. thanks
    Unless you get the nappa leather in the custom lux - which is only in black now and costs extra - I think the custom lux has the same quality leather inside as the mod lux. It has door closers and dynamic laser cruise but I don't think the interior is any different. The earlier LS 430's had comfort leather, perforated leather and the aniline nappa leather as options. But Lexus went to the perforated leather with seat coolers on all models sometime this year and that eliminated one of the differences between the two trims. The custom lux does pair up an antique walnut wood (which is gorgeous) and is not available in the mod lux but only if you go with the black leather and possibly only the black nappa leather. I don't remember as I threw out the LS430 brochure.
    The only thing that's kept me from trading up from my 92 LS is that the LS430 in Burgandy only comes with WHITE ecru interior.
  • flkeyflkey Member Posts: 11
    from COCOON
    I own '03 LS430 w/ black cherry pearl exterior [burgandy] and ecru interior. To me the leather color is more like eggnog w/o nutmeg, not white [like a refrigerator? ;-)]
  • dvaldval Member Posts: 13
    The custom ecru interior is a significant upgrade. Leather covers the lower portion of the dash and the trim around the center console while the standard is just more plastic. The armrests are leather while the standard are molded something. The headliner is a suede-like material and the standard is cloth-like. All of these upgrades make for a very special interior. With all the the mechanical stuff that comes with the custom package, it's a good deal for the money. I think smart access is in all the customs now, but it is a seperate additional cost option worth the $1,000. I've had the CL with Ecru for 4 months . Would do it again. Wonderful car!!!!!!!
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I've got similar package for a month now and would do it the same too. What a fantastic look, still get comments from people who have ridden with me several times. All remark how nice it looks.