Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    The Nav. on my 01 LS430 works like a dream, I have never had a problem. I instaled the 03 up grade this year got a lot more POIs, better maps and still no problems.

What ever they did in the O4, sure as heck wasn't an improvement.

Before the O4 everyone raved about the Nav. and now lots of complaints...SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG.
  • dtestadtesta Member Posts: 12
    My understanding is that previously Lexus used the Navteq database for the nav system. The 2004 version uses the GDT database. A friend of mine works for Navteq and says the GDT database is cheaper. Navteq sends teams out all around the country and they verify and supplement the basic map data provided by the government and then add in the POI data. GDT simply takes the data and repackages it with POI data. That's why it so much cheaper, they don't check it. It also seems like Lexus is charging about the same for update disks so they are pocketing the extra profit at our expense.

I've had a nav system since '97 with Navteq data. The first couple years it was as bad as the GDT data is now. Every new release every 6 months was a big improvement over the previous one. Since GDT does not have any correction process built into their business model, I don't see how our problem will go away with newer versions. It's up to Lexus to swith back to the superior product. What do they say- "the relentless pursuit of perfection"?
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    I too have not been able to use the voice commands--thought it just didn't understand "Texan". Also, when I am in Northern New Mexico, the system says I am in Questa, when I am actually located in Red River (19 miles away). But, it works fine where I live (Dallas).
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I hate the car lanes. Too slow and too congested. I ususlly ride the left lane where the trucks can't go. I also tend to drive after 9AM so it isn't so bad with the trucks. But I do know what you mean. The trucks that are to be avoided are the big dump trucks as they drop the debris and rocks.
  • dmortholedmorthole Member Posts: 29
    I'm thinking about purchasing the 04 LS.
    I'm just wondering about the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control system. I know the Laser version is located under the bumper, but where is the Radar's version?
    I also that the Mercedes' and Cadillac's radar cruise control is located behind a plastic cover with the emblem painted on. Is Lexus' like that too; and what about Audi and BMW.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Well, I finally made the move back to a 2004 LS. Got 94% of my GX value back plus $6800 off MSRP. No other dealer offered this good of a swap. I always felt that the GX lacked room and storage; and IMO the back door was just not the best design, especially for NFL tailgate parties; otherwise, it was a quality Lexus vehicle.

I am sure I will have a lot of questions on my Custom Lux; there seem to be a lot of improvements over the 2001 model. I like the 6-speed and the upgraded interior. I feel like they have tightened up the suspension too without compromising the ride.
  • ultra64ultra64 Member Posts: 19
    I as well have been disappointed at times with the '04 NAV. I think they did a poor job with the DVD with many missing roads and wrong data points in their data base. I called Lexus and took it to the dealership with no improvement.
    Best of luck. You will quickly realize why I tried my best to alert you 6 months ago to stay with the LS. But I do love the GX from a comfort and great ride standpoint. It's a very high quality suv and fits our needs perfectly. Still don't have a clue why they made a swing door in the back but it doesn't really bother me and my wife likes it for loading groceries.

By the way on the custom lux the little buttons on the door handle (assuming you got keyless) locks all the doors when you push it. The Smartkey is great except that you start thinking you can drive your other vehicle(s) the same way. You also have to make sure you don't double check that the door is loclked with the door handle as you will unlock the door inadvertently. Naturally the alarm system does re-lock it if you don't open it anyway. Lastly I have Verizon and have joined others by buying the Motorola V-710. It's nice to be able to use the bluetooth connection for conversation via the cars audio system. it's also an excellent phone despite the fact that motorola has to still update the software so you can upload you phonebook.

Enjoy the best luxury car on the road.
    You do have to push the button on the door handle to lock the car...right? If you just walk away. it doesn't lock itself?
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Yes, you do have to push the button. I find that I end up pushing the rear passenger door button about 90% of the time. It seems that I walk away from the car towards the rear when I park it the vast majority of the time. It only locks inself if you unlock the doors and then don't open one within the 30 second time period.
  • niceputtniceputt Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for all the input. I am calling Lexus USA and go from there. In the interest of not making my original post TOO long I left out other problems so just want to say that I also have the issue mentioned by others here, main one being that the 2004 POI's are absent a good number of significant POI's that were present in my 2001 LX470. Re voice recognition, I think Lexus should be able to include a much better working version. While the current one makes repeated errors on single word commands, I had occasion to telephone a vendor the other day and it actually recognized my ADDRESS when I spoke it into the phone. That was very impressive.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    My wife took the SC, and nixed the plan where I was going to buy an RX I'd drive that she would inherit when the SC went of lease. I should have known that wouldn't fly. It looks like I'll be getting a 2005 mod lux Silver/gray. Thanks to Len and Bill for helping me see the light and stay with the LS.a factor, Len your 25% better was (Bill-sorry you had to go through the trials with the GX first, I probably would have ended up doing the same thing)
    I can say that after just a week; my 04' LS Custom Lux is as good as it gets for me. It really has so much improvement over my 01' in so many ways, and I am still trying to read the whole manual...much to my family's chagrin. I never dreamed of leaving Lexus...the GX was a short, fun whim...(and it is a very fine suv)....but, the LS is just home. I feel with complete confidence that I have purchased the finest, most reliable automobile in the world for the money...period.

Now, each morning I am again like a little kid when I get behind the wheel. I can live with this one for a long time no matter what the future re-design may bring. All the regulars on this forum were a great help to me in my decision to move back...thanks to you all.

Welcome back....
    Enjoy - you'll love the new version. I'm curious if the 18" wheels give the car a less smooth ride. If you happen to test drive one (I understand many of the 2005's will have 18" wheels) please post about it. By the way how do you like the SC? I test drove one for fun (again) when I brought the GX in for service and I do love that car as well.

wbwynn - Told you. Trust me you'll want that next version when it arrives. It's going to be a class killer and leave everyone else in the dust. Heck - this one's already in a class by itself anyway. But that next model as a late 2006 or early 2007 - in hybrid form will be SOMETHING. Lexus will never make it easy for anyone who experiences this car to want or be happy in anything else. It's just too good.
  • helmarhelmar Member Posts: 15
    I have an '03 LS430 Custom, 37,000 miles.

The Nav system on that is terrific. Could they have messed it up in '04 with a software change?

As to the voice recognition, it's just as awful on my '03. The symptom of "Zoom in" being interpreted as a POI request is the same. I've given up on the voice system.

It too sometimes takes me a strange way that seems to be out of the way, favoring big streets or highways. It usually gets me there, though and is generally accurate to within 10-20 feet.

HBH
    No change from 2001 on my car from a working proper standpoint. It's a bigger database and a more versatile system but operationally it works just as perfectly as the 2001 worked. I haven't tried the voice commands though so I can't speak for that.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Regards 18" wheels, my salesman told me he put a set on a customer's car at customer request. The customer did not like them and came back and traded back the 18s for the old 17s, go figure?
  • mapleleafmapleleaf Member Posts: 8
    Just picked up my '04 ls after the trans and fuel pump recall work. Definitely a noticeable improvement in the slippage in auto downshift. (Was there more to the trans problem than stated?)
    They filled up the tank as many of you reported. Thanks, I made sure I arrived thirsty.
    I drove a courtesy RX 330 with 100 miles on it. Found it sluggish, noisy and suprise...it felt like a truck. Why does anyone other than a serious off-roader drive these silly things? Delighted to have my 430 back.
    ps. Am rarely using the NAV. It tried to take me west of Pennsylvania on a trip from Philly back to NYC. I do however rely on the GPS to find alternate routes while driving. And the database has been handy for poi's and restaurants.
    Besides, it came with the sound package, which was worth it.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Does a $30,000 difference in price came into play?

And there is the overall UTILITY of an RX (SUV) that is rather a strong point for me.
  • milsuperdocmilsuperdoc Member Posts: 29
    Since my trans and fuel pump recall work, my '04 LS has been working without any glitch. I agree with you 100% that RX 330 which I took as a courtesy loaner was rather disappointing as a SUV with Lexus logo. I too found it sluggish, noisy, rough on the shift, and not quite refined as I would have liked. I still own my '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee which as been surprisingly reliable all these years with better ride than RX. On the other hand, the GX that my family owns drives with much more refinement....a far better improvement over RX and my Jeep.
    I get the RX as a loaner all the time and it is an excellent vehicle. It's very refined and blows away every noisy bumpy riding Jeep Grand Cherokee I ever drove. There is no comparison. I have a GX470 and love it but it's a different vehicle than the carlike RX330. Is it more refined? Maybe but not by much. It is a lot more refined and luxurious than the older RX300 but the 330 was a big improvement jump over that RX300.
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    I will shortly be at the end of my lease and I would like to renew it for 1-2 more years as I await the AWD lexus. Has anyone tried to renew their lease?
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I have been gone from Edmund's for about a couple of months now. Life certainly has been different since mid-summer, but we soldier on....

If what I read here (lots of posts since July) are any indications of what the '04 is, then I am disappointed. More so that the LS has MB and its peers in a panic button mode and want to fritter it away by cheapening the components - eg the new Nav. A major recall of the 6-speed tranny is not a good thing. Hopefully, this will be a blimp and not the norm. I remain highly expectant of the re-designed 2006/2007 model.

BTW, the upgraded Nav on my '99 works flawlessly. Of course, it is not voice-activated. Maybe that's the reason, eh ? :) My uncle in FLorida just upgraded his 2001 LS to the 2004 LS black/black, custom lux. He loves the LS and cannot imagine anything else. His wife drives an '02 LX470. Seemed like my family is going Lexus. For me, it's the 2006/2007 that should make me either a Lexus lifer, or looking elsewhere. Time will tell....

But glad to be back here....
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    For those looking ahead to the next-generation LS, there was an article about Lexus sedans in this week's Automotive News (a trade magazine). Lexus says there will be a new sedan introduced about every six months, with the LS coming in two years:

Spring 2005 - New GS
    Fall 2005 - New IS
    Spring 2006 - New ES
    Fall 2006 - New LS
    I think they have the ES and LS mixed up. I was told that the LS will be spring 2006 as a 2007 and the ES follows suit. That is the way they did it the last time as well. Supposedly there is the new LX sometime in the 2006/2007 timeframe as well.

OAC - glad your back. My nav and tranny are flawless and the car is greater than ever. I also can't imagine any other car as my primary car. Nothing to worry about.
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    I saw the Automotive News article also today and one thing to add to lenscap's message is that the ES will be re-engineered not a totally new redesign like the other sedan models. Also, the list of these new Lexus sedan model introductions was by Denny Clements, general manager of Lexus Division, at the press introduction of the new RX400H in Hawaii this week.

He also mentioned that Lexus is targeting "BMW loyalists disaffected by that brand's move toward polarizing design and complicated electronic controls." He also was quoted as saying "the new Lexuses (sedans) will offer a sportier driving experience and have bolder styling."
    I like the new transmission better than the old six speed. The new one seems more responsive, quicker to down shift. Hope this is not just my imagination.
    Sorry, duplicate message.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    I recently took a lengthy trip in my 2004 LS (UL). My impression is that the driver's seat is not as comfortable as the one in the 2001. It got so bad that after a few hours I stopped and took a beach towel, folded it up, and put it on the seat as a pillow. How embarrassing! I'm sure glad no MB or Cad driver saw me.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in seat comfort level? Or is there something wrong with my particular seat? Or with my rear end?
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    In 4 weeks i will be purchasing my brother in-laws car. The last oil change was 5/03 with 18k miles. It now has 23,323. Does this void the warranty i would about to inherit (4 year 50k)? Does anyone know the recommend oil change for a 2001 ls430? Is it 5k or 7.5k? I would like to get it changed before I take it over. What can I expect to pay for an oil change in NY? I have seen all different prices.In addition he lost the manual where could i obtain another one?
    Regards,
    CK
  • eadlueadlu Member Posts: 13
    The driver's seat comfort has been a problem on the LS (at least for me) on long trips since I purchased the first one in 1990. In my situation it manifests itself in a painful left hip. It was because of this problem that I drove MBs for about 9 years (no hip pain) and then bought a 02 LS about 3 years ago. I too just returned from a 3200 mile trip early this week and again I experienced the hip problem which I overcame by stuffing a hand towel under the left side of my but. I recall talking to a Lexus representative about this problem at the NYC auto show in 1993 and he told me that they were aware of other complaints and a redesign was in the works. The redesign if in fact it took place wins no cigar from me but I will replace my current LS with a new one in the next year or two because I am very satisfied with the car and the very few long trips I take I have found a work around, a five dollar hand towel.
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    HAS ANYONE TRIED TO EXTEND THEIR LEASE FOR ANOTHER 1 OR 2 YEARS ON AN LS 430?
    Not sure that is a smart move. Most of the time those lease extensions are short duration events (month-month, 6 months at most) to hold you till the next model year. Two years is long-term in leasing and if you wanted to do that on your current car you'd probably pay 80+% of what your current lease is anyway. Why not look for a 24-30 month new LS lease as a holdover? I don't mind having my car for as much as a year after the new one debuts as that will be a hot car when it comes out, particularly in hybrid engine options, with potentially premium pricing. After 6 months to a year it will calm down.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Thanks for the welcome. I can see you are doing your best to keep the board alive. Good job. Glad you are enjoying your '04 LS. I almost pulled the trigger but will happily wait for the '06/'07 judging by quotes from Denny Clements (see post #6347). It is exciting if Lexus will go after BMW and remove the mystique of BMW's driving, handling and performance machines.... Won't that be just like Lexus to take on another German brand after putting significant hurt into MB in the North American market ?

I say, let the battle begin --- circa MY 2006 !
    Toyota is so incredibly capitalized and profitable it can do whatever it wants. I think you'll see improved handling and sportiness in all the Lexus cars and more powerful engines via the hybrids rather than wasteful V-12's. The latter will become increasing unpopular over time and will be viewed as outdated in a few years. The spike in oil prices will exacerbate this and over time it will be almost embarassing to own such cars particularly because there is a new and improved way to get that power. Prestige and success demands new technology anyway. Just my opinion but I don't think they will mess too much with handling on the LS and ES as both cars dominate their segments. They'll get the hybrid treatment, tighter handling and have sport suspension options more readily available. If that market goes toward sport (which I doubt) than they will be ready for it. If not they haven't messed with their success. Now with the IS, GS and an SC variant at some point (likely that Toyota supercar) they will hunt BMW. Toyota does heavy market research and I'll bet a lot of money that their research shows BMW vulnerability with those terrible re-designs. Hence the new IS and GS will give it a big shot. Put some hurt into the 3 and 5 series and BMW has a boatload of problems. They are small in size, need a decade to earn what Toyota earns in less than a year and are heavily dependent on both model lines. Infiniti and Acura have some great cars coming there as well but both are far down the stature ladder from Lexus and will only do minor damage. Nevertheless the Japanese luxury segment is now entering the performance arena. They haven't failed at anything yet and they won't fail here either. Anyone who thinks the Germans come out of this untouched or unhurt is really in fantasy land.

Glad your back.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I have found on long trips that for me the seat works best raised in the front all the way, lowered in back all the way, and the seat almost as short as it will go...I start out and slowly aim in the direction and am there in an hour or two...It seems to shift the pressure point ..If I don`t do this it becomes almost agony in three or four hours. I also think the seats are too firm as Mercedes is...The old American boats were very comfy, and I would not regret a return to plush comfort..

WWEST the Bridgestone tires are doing fine..I noticed they have a flat spot when you start out, but it goes away quickly..Anything I shoul do? Or is this ok. ? Tony
    Agree with your setting of the driver's seat on long drives. I do much the same except I don't shorten up the seat much.
    I do much the same as you except I lengthen the seat extender out to the crease behind my knees. I find the seat very comfortable for long or short drives.
    Lexus has updated their web site to the 2005 LS430. MSRP $56300... They show 17" wheels standard with the Sport Option having 18" wheels like in 2004. Could not find any changes from 2004, many have said that 18" wheels would be standard? Take a look.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I recently had the padding in the bottom driver's seat cushion replaced under warranty on my '01 LS430. The seat was beginning to feel too hard. My wife noticed it, too. It is better now, but still a little firmer than I would prefer. I checked out the seat in an '04, and it seemed about the same as my '01. I don't know who figured out that luxury car seats should be firm (Mercedes, maybe?), but this issue needs to be revisited by most luxury car makers. I have rented a variety of cheaper cars recently like Taurus, Impala, and Century, and I find their seats to be fine. The firmness of my daughter's new Camry's seats is perfect. I drove my brother's new CL600 last weekend and thought that it's seats were too firm, like most Mercedes seats. BMW seats are too firm, too. What good are all these 12-way or 16-way adjustable seats if the bottom cushion is too hard? The most comfortable driver's seat I've experienced recently: 1999 RX300.
  • mapleleafmapleleaf Member Posts: 8
    Perhaps these luxury cars with both heating and cooling functions can't have conventional padding in the driver's seat. Maybe the stiffness you're feeling is due to the limited cushioning that's used in order to get functional performance from these amenities.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    My car doesn't have cooled seats. It does have heated seats, though. I suppose that could be a factor...I never thought of that.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    So the consensus seems to be that indeed the LS seats are too hard. Possibly the heating/cooling is part of the culprit, although I believe there are air-transparent cushioning materials that they could use. It seems to be a cultural thing: They (the manufacturers) acually believe that we the luxury-buying public prefer harder seats.

I also set the seat front to maximum height and back to minimum. In fact I asked my dealer if it is possible to adjust the limit stops so as to make the front go higher still. She said there is no adjustment for that.

Lexus, if you are reading this, please make seats more comfortable. Thank you.
  • mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    I bought my '04 LS at the end of July and recently took a trip where I drove 9 hours, only stopping for gas & food. I found the seats extremely comfortable and could have driven for longer period. Prior to my LS, I had a Jaguar S-Type which had rock hard seats with limited adjustments. For me, my LS has the most comfortable seats I have had in a car. The LS is one fantastic car.

Mike
    I'm not in the consensus and have always found these seats very comfortable. The european cars have rock hard seats and Lexus has actually been criticized in some circles as having seats that were too soft.
    Len -
    Sorry it took so long to reply. While 18" wheels are "available" outside the sport package the allocations from the factory are coming in with 17" and all seasons (what I wanted anyway). The demo had 17's as well. Mostly pros for the differences in the 01 to 05, but I'll miss the two glove compartments, and I liked the red sticks on the guages more than the white. I'm amazed how much more they can put into the car for only around 1.3K more MSRP and even less in real $ given exchange differences. Steerable headlights, rear color camera, park assist, rear shade, cooled seats & perf leather, smart key, and the rear seat mirrors that I'm sure our dog (the only rear seat passenger) will learn to enjoy once my wife teaches her about lipstick. BTW - I just learned that you can leave the fog lights switch on and they'll work with the daylight sensors and come on with the headlights. I asked about this because I'd seen quite a few LS with both sets on recently and thought it was a new 2004/5 default setting from Lexus. Only took over three years to learn how the lights work.
    On the SC, my wife loves her "baby Lexus". It's put Sunday drives back in our vocabulary. We just got back from a jaunt to Princeton on the back roads. Days like today are perfect for the car. That said, I wouldn't want it for my daily driver as I prefer the smooth luxury of the LS (or other quality sedan)to a sportscar. I must say the complements we get on the SC just keep coming. Everyone looks at it, and many people comment. We have the midnight pine and saddle and we really like the combo.
    They had a 2005 Palm Beach SC on the floor at RC when I signed the paperwork on the LS. Can't say I really cared for it. I thought the wheel covers were too busy with the outer half chromed and the inner part dark, and the red seats might have been OK if the carpeting wasn't a washed out version of the same color. Maybe a black carpet to match the wood might have saved it. As my salesman said, "If it was hot it wouldn't still be here now."
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "Perhaps these luxury cars with both heating and cooling functions can't have conventional padding in the driver's seat. Maybe the stiffness you're feeling is due to the limited cushioning that's used in order to get functional performance from these amenities."

Naw, my Lincoln seats are heated & cooled (something, by the way, I'll never go without again), and the seats are soft & comfy. I have the left hip problem too, but not in my Lincoln, ever. I can drive it all day and feel good as gold. So, it's not the equipment, it's by design.
    Keep your wallet in that pocket by any chance?
    I forgot that the Lexus Link has been dropped. That was 1K they had to play with in pricing, so I guess an apples to apples difference is plus 2.3K, still amazing! I'd take the smart key and Lexus link as a push. Given the choice I probably would not have paid 1K for either, and only got them because of their standard configurations of option packaging. I would have easily paid much more for the camera, park assist and cooled seats.
  • eadlueadlu Member Posts: 13
    No. My wallet goes in the center bin when I am driving long distances in a LS because leaving it in my left back pocket just exacerbates the left hip problem. The seats in my opinion are not too firm they just are not formed properly. As I pointed out in my prior post I never had the hip problem with any MB that I have owned (and the seats in the MB are a tad more firm than the LS). I also repeat what I said in my last post, I am comfortable driving the LS for long distances when I stuff a small towel under the left cheek of my butt.