Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I think that's an insane workaround though in a car that costs that much. Maybe in a rental...that would be acceptable. #1 when I choose a car, is how does it "fit" my large, American [non-permissible content removed].
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Maybe this news was already posted by someone else, but I don't think so. About a week ago I received a letter from the Vice President of Lexus Customer Service Group. In short, the letter was apologizing for any incovenience caused by the fact that the transmission & fuel pump had to be replaced on my 2004 LS430. But the thing that astounded me was that along with the letter of apology, Lexus included 2 $100 BP-Amaco cards to use in purchasing gas, food, etc. I am sure that all of you that had the transmission & fuel pump replaced will get this gift as well. This is another example of why Lexus is NUMBER 1 with me. By the way, I didn't think it was an inconvenience at all. My dealer picked up my car at work early in the morning and delivered it back by 1:00 PM just as they promised. I did not need a loaner, but they would have gladly given me one.
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    Thank you for responding. Your solution is a good one, I guess I am attached to my 2001 LS 430 Ultra and am waiting for the AWD model [2006]. My LS has served me well, though I have some minor complaints [mostly on the dealer end]. I am leery of the 2004 model because of the transmission and fuel pump problems and it appears that 2004 has been an aberrant year for the LS 430.However on my next service visit to lexus I will discuss your option. Again, thank you for your response.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Best of luck. Don't hesitate on a late model 2004 or a 2005 for that matter as the updated LS is just plain fabulous. You'll love the keyless system and the ride, handling and supreme luxury appointments of the car are better then ever.

Steve - thanks for the detailed response.
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    I noticed you have a 2001 ls 430. I am considering buying one from my brother in-law and had a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. What is the recommneded oil change intervals?
    2. How does it handle in the snow?
    3. Do you know where I could get a manual?
    4. Do you use 93 octane?
    5. Did you add the 7/70K warranty and if so what did they charge you?

Thanks
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Other than auto locking functions, are there other CBEST adjustments that have proven useful? I am going in for the 1000 miler tomorrow. Thanks
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I changed the trunk opening to just one button push and the door unlock to open all four doors at once with a button push for me.

There is a complete listing of the functions somewhere here on this board I believe or I know it's on the other Lexus board if you want to search for them.
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    LS 430 is a great car with a magnificent smooth ride and great torque. It is also a very safe vehicle. I have 45,000 miles on mine and it rides as if it were new.

1- 7500 miles
    2 -terrible
    3- there are on line sites for manuals or buy Hemmings which has manual sellers, or even try Lexus.
    4- yes
    5- no
  • allan441allan441 Member Posts: 15
    I also received the $200 BP credit. They certinally know how to do it right!
  • agent0986agent0986 Member Posts: 64
    apparently some jerk, smashed in my front passenger window last night, by the looks of it, most likely with a baseball bat. it was a mess inside, glass everywhere stuck between everything. my cup holder wont work cause glass is stuck inside. i got a police report but id rather deal with this myself than going through insurance. i got 2 estimates. one from a lexus dealer, and from some third party auto shop.
    the dealer, for the window, tinting of the window, and replace the black side panel on the door(which was also bent in) = $850
    the other shop i went for same stuff: $750 for lexus glass, $650 for generic glass.
    i went for the $650. he told me it would be virtually impossible to tell the difference, there just wouldnt be a lexus sticker. will i notice any difference, noise,anything between the two? the panel will be coming from lexus. also would the alarm have sounded? this happened in a rather crowded parking lot. also what can i do to rid the interior of the glass, not the big pieces the little crystal sized specs that are everywhere? thanks for any help
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I can't add much to help, only to say "I feel your pain". As for the insurance, I believe vandalism/glass breakage is covered under your "comprehensive" portion of your insurance. When my daughter had near $3000 hail damage, the insurance company paid the tab and it did not count against the policy to cause a rate change, might be worth checking out. However, if you have $500 deductible comprehensive it might not be worth the effort? As for the glass, I'm not sure when Lexus started treating the driver and passenger windows with "silicon" to help the rain sheet off. My only thoughts on the glass clean up would be to contact the glass installer and see if they have any tricks up their sleeve. Good Luck.
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Member Posts: 125
    In case anyone is interested, the 2004 NAV update is available to order at Lexus-Parts.com
    I just ordered it (approx $300) and will be available to ship around Oct 10. There is no information about the specific changes are, however there is a listing of all the cities in the US that the NAV disc includes and whether the city has full or partial coverage.
    What year do you currently have? I am curious to see if the new disk is much better. Let me know if there is much improvement as I was toying with the same idea.

thanks
    My car was picked up in Jan 02. Won't know how the update is until late Oct. Stay tuned.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Do you know if this is also an update to the 04 LS? I understand they changed the Nav drive unit so the same CD might not be compatible with both the pre-04 and the 04 cars.

I'd sure like to see a correction to all the errors on the 04 Nav disk.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I had generic (hecho en Mexico) glass installed on my last Navigator once. It was noticeably different, and not just from the missing logo point of view. It actually wasn't formed exactly right, and didn't fit right in one corner. It stuck up beyond the frame, and although it never leaked or made noise, it just looked wrong every time I looked at it from the driver's side. I wouldn't do it again. Clearly, there is a difference. If you're going to keep the car any length of time, I'd pay the extra hundred.
    Seems that Lexus-Toyota has made a firm decision to go with XM as their integrated carrier for the NAV-ML system...meaning Sirius will not get an "integrated" option with them... NAV has computer parts specific to XM. Sirius cannot be made with a direct connection.

Cost is still around $600+ with my dealership; it should come down further soon...my service rep says Lexus would like to hook up a lot more of these (and get a kickback from XM). They know the install price is ridiculously high.
  • quint1quint1 Member Posts: 13
    If anyone has a moment to comment - I am thinking about buying a used LS400 -- whatver I can get for about 7k or so. It'll be a second car, so I can afford to put a little $ into it, but not too much. Are there any major differences in the first few years? From what I have read on these things, they seem to be built like tanks. Any thing to watch out for? Any costly maintenace issues I should be checking for? If I get some snow tires, is this thing gonna do OK in the winter? I am in the Mpls area.

Thanks for in advance folks
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Quint1
      You'll be making an excellent investment. If you're going to spend around 7K I'd try to get a 92 or 93. The 93 was updated with dual airbags and wider wheels. There were about 50 modifications. Some would say the '92 was the most reliable. So far my '92 LS has been the most reliable car I've ever owned, even better than my 2 yr old LS430.
      A few things to look out for on these older cars:
    1) Power Steering Pump: Lexus loves to say that you don't need to change the fluid.(At least that's what they told me!) But it begins to leak and can take out the alternator with it! About $700 to replace.

2) Leaking LCD screens..It's common especially on the A/C controls. It's more of a cosmetic thing, and about $325 to replace. There is a company called Mikando (sp?) that can do this for you.

3) Main electrochromatic display..The needles tend to flicker and burn out on the older cars. The dealer will want to replace the whole unit for $1100, but you can get this fixed. There is an outfit in Georgia that will fix it for $300.

4) Various Suspension parts including lower bushings ($175) and front/rear shocks ($325 for each set). Note that you don't have to replace these things unless you're really fussy like me. A single noise or rattle drives me nuts.

In all I've spent something like $3,100 over 12 years. I'd say it is more than worth it. As for Snow tires buy yourself a Bridgestone Blizzak rim/tire from Tire Rack. I live in Boston and have had no problems in the winter with this car..I've had good results with normal Michelin MXV4's too, but hills are a problem.

Hope this helps,
    SV
    My Lexus dealer will install (direct connect to NAV-ML) the factory XM Radio in my 2004 LS for $546 plus tax; this seems much more reasonable.
    Have to have it. I was quoted $1000 by two other dealers, so XM is definitely a negotiable item.
    Don't know all the details there. I ordered it on line and clicked the buttons that I had an 02 LS 430. Hopefully they'll send me the correct part for the vehicle. If not, I'll return it.
    Go to Lexus-parts.com and see for yourself...if you notice something that I didn't, please let me know. I'm not that technical.
    thanks- went with the lexus glass, no problems at all, works + looks perfect, impossible to tell window was replaced. definately better off than having problems later on.
    If you selected the button for a 2002 model, I'm sure they'll send you the right part. By the way, they do have a new release for the 2004 model also. I ordered it. Hope it's worth the price ($288 + shipping).
  • rd1411rd1411 Member Posts: 18
    i purchased a 91 ls400 with 130k miles for $4300 on ebay feb 2004.

I purchased another 91 ls 400 with 157k for $4800 nov 2003.
     DIY repairs brake pads front and back...make sure you free up the caliber pins.
    oxygen sensor $237 took dealer 21 days to diagnoses

tires bridgestone turanza buy 3 get 1 free firestone $73 bucks a piece

T-1V transmission flush 3.75 quarts do it your self...drain plug $20 bucks
    got a couple of questions hope somebody can answer:
    1) when do you recommend changing air filter for the engine?

2) inside air from vents is getting kind an odd scent, what do i change? air filter? and what is the recommended mileage for changing that ?

3) oil change, been changing every 5k, can i let it go til 6k, engine seems to be fine, but dealer says every 5k.

4) anything else i should be thinking about changing while im there?

thank you so much for the help.
    i went to lexus-parts.com
    and i found:
    17801-50030 - Filter Air  - obv. for the engine

88508-30110 - Filter Air Purifier  

87139-YZZ01 - Filter Cabin

im confused, which one do i need? or both? i dont have the ultra-lux package. i am thinking one of them is for the ultra-lux seperate rear climate control? the dealer is asking a ridiculous amount($250 for oil change, and for hte 2 air filters)
    can i do anything myself?
    Update on the update for the 04 Nav: I received an email from Lexus-parts.com saying, "Thank you for your purchase of the latest 2004 Lexus Navigation Update. You will be notified directly upon the receipt of this update." So I interpret this to mean that they are taking orders but the part is not yet available.
    Item 2: Odd smell coming from the air vents. While I was at the dealer one day, a customer was complaining of the same problem. One suggestion they had was to run the A/C vents on outside air to dry out the A/C box. They commented that too much running on recirculating air would not allow the A/C box to dry out and thus some mold and bad smells could occur. Might ask the dealer if they have any suggestions.
    Has anybody noticed a buss-whine noise between in the 1500-2000 RPM range when the car needs to downshift? I am hearing this when in 4, 5, or 6th gear, especially if going up a hill and a downshift is needed. I could be just a loose part/cover in the engine, but it is a noise I never heard on my 01' LS...definitely something out of the ordinary. We all know that the LS engine is the standard of perfect quiet.

My dealer said everything was normal at the 1000 mi check, but I still hear this. I am going to ask them to re-check it on a test drive tomorrow.
    Thanks
    I think I recall seeing something on the lexus-parts.com website saying that the new NAV disc will be out 10/10/04.
  • balderdashbalderdash Member Posts: 17
    It amazes me that you guys who are talking about seat comfort don't seem to realize what a subjective matter seat comfort is. One says the seats are the most comfortable he's ever experienced, another says the seats are too hard. What's a poor Lexus to do? How can he satisfy every [non-permissible content removed] in America? For what it's worth, and I'm sure, not much, I have almost no complaint about my '01 LS 430 driver seat except for the fact that the padding seems to press in against my right thigh. How's that for an arcane complaint to add to the list?
    Just none better...maybe we are getting old (and softer).
    HA! You made me laugh. Thanks.
    No such problem for me. Did you find out what it is?
    Hi balderdash, you are right of course that it is subjective. But I noticed that the 01 LS seat was more comfortable than the 04 LS, and I was wondering if they changed something, in which case others might have noticed the same thing, of if it was just a quality control anomaly (ie. my particular car seat is a bit harder than the norm, and perhaps my 01 was a bit paddeder).

In any case the LS is the best car in the world, and the 04 is even better overall than the 01.
  • mapleleafmapleleaf Member Posts: 8
    No previous LS standard of comparison here but my '04 seats are comfy, though there certainly seems to be excess slack. And one had better make sure the kids aren't munching even dry foods for fear of lodging a microscopic crumb into a thermo-perforation. (To this day the best seat of all time was in my '67 Volvo 122S but I might have been under various states of delusion at the time)
    Still haven't gotten the voucher for BP expenses. Perhaps those of us who had our tanks filled at the dealership topped out on the 430 post-recall goodwill.
    Anyone have any experience with a passenger-side in-cabin rattle? I can't place it. I was pretty sure it was the "wood" insert in the door but alas...HELP!!! I swear I'll sell the thing and get a Saturn if I can't get rid of this vibration.
    Other than that...happy motoring!
  • mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    I had a vibration/rattle that I isolated on the passenger side. The upper right hand side of the glove box door was rubbing against the dash when closed. I stuck a small piece if felt to the dash where the door rubbed and the noise is gone. Good luck finding your problem. I'd rather my engine fall out than hear a rattle !!!!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Anytime the A/C is shut down a thin film of condensed moisture will remain on the ~10,000 square inches of evaporator cooling surface area. Umtil the evaporator surface area rises from its normal operating temperature of ~33F, which might take as much as a hour, the moisture will not begin to evaporate from those surfaces.

If once it does evaporate into the local atmosphere, inside the A/C plenum area, absent "forced" airflow it will remain there for extended periods.

There might be two possible results.

About five miles down the road on an early COOL morning drive when the engine water jacket reaches 130F the A/C blower will come on and your COOL windshield will suddenly FOG over due to the super-saturated atmosphere being FLUSHED from the A/C plenum area.

Or in the longer term the microbes that comprise mould and mildew odors will breed by the billions in that damp, dank, and dark A/C plenum area.

All of the above can be avoided, mostly, by leaving the windows down in the garage at night so that natural confvective airflow can help to keep the A/C plenum area FLUSHED.

For more info see airsept.com and their EED device.
    This is not major issue, but it is driving me crazy, because I hear it in the same RPM range in 5th ot 6th gear.and not all the time.

I am sure it is a plastic resonating sound, but dealer has not isolated after two tries. Could be number of plastic parts or covers in the engine...we'll find it. Everything else is perfect...just added XM Radio.
    Does anyone have the address for where i may sent a letter of complaint? I've had too many problems with my LS and would like to let them know about it. thank you
    This should do it:
    The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
    1-800-255-3987, prompt #4
    Monday – Friday, 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., PT.
    Fax: 1-310-468-2992
    Address:
    P.O. Box 2991 — Mail Drop L202
    Torrance, CA 90509-2991
    Thanks do the support of this board I have just joined the lexus family and purchased my brother in laws car (2001 ls430) well as soon as i get the title. Eager to get that showroom finish especially before the car seats go in, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as cleaning products for cleaning the carpet, seats, dash/nav screens, and wax/compound preferences. Thanks again everbybody.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    The owners Manual in one of the 2 glove boxes will have a lot of cleaning information for you.
  • quint1quint1 Member Posts: 13
    Hey guys -- I am just about to pull the trigger on an LS400, but have a question. I found a 1992 with 130k, looks to be in good shape, for $4,000, but its a Canadian car, imported and registered in Minnesota. Any thoughts on this VS a 1993 with 184k for $5500 ? It looks like the 1993 has zenon lights... was that an option that year? Thanks again!
    http://www.meguiars.com/
    Take a look at the above web site. I like the Meguiar's products and they are excellent for the moderate price they charge. The Quick Detailer is a good product to use between washes. There are more expensive products than Meguiars but I'm happy with them. Also, they have a place on the web where you can tell them how you want to keep your car and they will give you a prescription for their products.
    Try Zymol leather cleaner and leather polish. It's excellent. You also can't go wrong with Meguiars products (interior or exterior) but I find zymol is better. Zymol exterior wax is a great protector for the road salt in winter regions as well.

Best of luck with the car. You should enjoy it immensely.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Xenon/HID headlights didn't become available until 1998 on Lexus cars. The 1993 could just have those poseur blue "xenon" bulbs.
    Thanks all for your comments. Being this car will not be garaged (i know what a shame) but would anyone recommend using a car cover or does that do more harm then good as far as moisture being trapped under the cover or is it worth it just to used to block out uv rays and just take off when it rains/snows. Does anyone know what the dealer charges for an owner's manual? The previous one was stolen. I assume 93 octane is the way to go but does anyone use 91?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Here in memphis been driving my brother's 92 LS, 120k, drives like a dream, just like new. Can't imagine the new ones being any better.

Power stearing fluid was low so dropped by Lexus to buy some. Parts guy quoted me ~$50.00/gallon and then proceeded to borrow a container from the shop and personally topped off the power stearing reservioir while cautioning me about possible damage to the alternator.

And me clearly not a champion of Lexus service.
  • mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    I am buying a 2005 LS430 in the next 2 weeks and cannot decide whether to go for the 18 inch or 17 inch wheels. Can anyone help me with the pros & cons. Thanks.