Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• oldmedicoldmedic Member Posts: 78
    I recently checked out the JATCO (Japanese Automatic Transmission Company)web site. Bottom of the home page had a small website email connection (really tiny). I'm composing a pointy email that would discuss the loss of honor these folks are being slammed with because Mazda is skirting the issue of the MPV tranny and making them look really bad. There may be more than one way to "skin a nippon". Any thoughts:
  • wvsarobwvsarob Member Posts: 2
    2004 MPV purchased 12-23-03. First and most offensive hard shift at 154 miles. Several others since then happening between 2-3 shift and 2-3k rpm. At almost 500 miles dropped car for 2nd dealer evaluation today. En route to dealer no hard shifts. Noted that the temp was between 12-17 degrees F. Previous hard shifting happened when outdoor temps were warmer. Other members have similar observations?
  • notasoccermomnotasoccermom Member Posts: 55
    If you read back on this thread a ways, you'll see that we all noticed the hard shift happens when the engine is at full operating temp. With the colder weather the engine probably takes much longer to get warm and may never reach a high enough temp to set off the hard shift problem. Although we experienced a couple of hard shifts with driving it right out of our garage a few weeks ago. So who knows, it's defective, we've stopped trying to analyze it.

I would highly encourage everyone with this problem to at the very least demand an extended warranty on the power train at no cost and no deductible. We screamed and yelled enough and we got a bumper-to-bumper warranty on the car for 7 years/100K miles for free. Start with your dealership's GM and they will probably refer you to a regional Mazda rep who can make it happen. You still have the option to pursue the lemon law in the future even if you take the warranty.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    did you try to corroborate the observation made by another owner recently that turning off the Traction Control made the shift problem go away?

your van is the one where you can reliably get the thing to hard-shift right?

it would seem it would be good for someone else to attempt to either add or remove support for that observation.
    Sure, I'll give it a try. My husband is handing the van over to me this weekend to be the primary driver of it from now on because it's making him a nervous wreck. He's not coordinated enough to avoid the hard shift, but I can get around it. I know, it's weird, the woman driver is more skilled than the man driver in our relationship! Must be all the mechanical engineers in my family. So I'll give it a try this weekend when I'm out and about.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    So much for giving the wife the safe car. I wish I could get away with that in my house.
    too nervous to drive the thing...or maybe he's peeved (sorry) it's getting hammered on...

was he the one who drove the purchase? i wouldn't be nervous if we had purchased one (and we had driven three), but it would erk me to no end each time i got behind the wheel...and THAT would make the rest of the people in the car nervous for sure.

well...with all those MEs in your family - hope you design a good experiment.

but seriously - if you notice the effect, you're going to have to bracket the observation (that the Trac off mitigates), by a few runs with the Trac on to make sure the mitigation isn't a function of the vehicle warming up.

then as a control, get your husband to drive it in both configurations. ;)

good luck.
  • bigdadibigdadi Member Posts: 72
    I have the MPV without the traction control, still having the hard-shift.

The hard-shift happens when you hold on the pedal after moderate acceleration. If you keeps on pedal down or release the pedal a little before the 2-3 shift, you can get around it.
    It's probably more irksome for him than makes him nervous. Every stinkin' time it does it he lets out a "sheesh" or a "grrrr", and then we get irritated. I finally told him if it bothers him so much I'll drive it and he said ok. He can't seem to figure out the right time to let up on the gas pedal to prevent the hard shift either. I can do it pretty well so I'm taking the car.
  • svmazdasvmazda Member Posts: 5
    I have had my MPV in the shop since 11/18/03 and have been living with a service rental (compact, not a van). The shift in my van is so hard it lost traction once in the rain (I won't let my wife drive it, and certainly not with the kids in it). Don't know how it would do in snow because it's been in the shop since before we had snow up here. MN Lemon Law has three criteria for a getting your money back and mine has met all three. Coincidently enough, after I sent a certified letter to Mazada involking the Lemon Law, THEY NOW HAVE A FIX!!!! Magically, just after my letter, LUCKY ME!!! Actually it's better than that, Mazda at one point told me (months ago) they had a fix but the EPA had to approve it first. I opened a case (324123438) with the EPA who said they knew nothing about it. I don't want a fixed van, or a replacement van, or anything more to do with Mazda other than giving me my money back. They're liars and it's just a matter of time before someone gets in an accident as a result of this ongoing problem. Good luck to all of you.....get a lawyer, I am.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I want to hear more about this fix. I've been on a LIST at a north metro Mazda dealer for 2 months waiting. I understand there is quite a list there too! If the FIX is here, how are we going to find out other than just calling the dealer...?
    I've had my MPV a year in late Feb. Again, I love this vehicle; handling, parking, etc. The tranny thing does not peeve me TOO much since I know they will stand behind it. Chrysler did/does the same with their crummy trannies. I had two such Chryslr. mini's with new tranny's put in at 90K by the mfg...so this is nothing much new to me other than frustrating that I'm STILL DEALING WITH THIS ISSUE IN ANOTHER BRAND!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I was in a presentation today by an expert in systems engineering, and as he was talking I thought of the hard shift problem. He talked about a particular automaker (which needs to be nameless due to confidentiality issues) about their quality problems in embedded systems (e.g. transmission control software). One example they discussed with him was that sometimes when a driver turns on the A/C and opens a power window at the same time, the trunk flies open (power release obviously). The interesting thing about this problem is that all three systems are separate, and when the automaker thoroughly tested each system they were all perfect. The speaker explained that the automaker was having a problem with the logical architecture of their embedded software components. The physical architecture for each component was fine. But the logical architecture, the interaction of the components, was flawed in some way. The simultaneous operation of the A/C and the opening of the window triggered some event that caused the trunk opening system to respond incorrectly.

What does this have to do with hard shifts, and the difficulty in fixing them, you ask? Just this: what if the Jatco transmission and its software is actually not flawed at all? What if the problem lies in its interaction with other systems? For example, what if there is a problem in the interaction between the transmission system and the throttle-control system, such that certain inputs from the throttle-control system, under certain conditions, cause an inappropriate response from the transmission system? If this were the case, it could make the problem difficult for Mazda and Jatco to diagnose and fix. I'm not excusing the delay in getting a fix, but if this theory is correct it could help explain the delay.
  • biomed_engbiomed_eng Member Posts: 5
    Although they are separate systems...they use the same power and ground.

I am sure if the trunk, AC and, power windows used independent power sources the "trunk pop" interaction would not occur (unless the problem is caused by radiated noise!)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The trunk-pop problem was just an example of how systems can operate perfectly by themselves, but interact incorrectly. If you want to overanalyze that real-life example, be my guest. The point was that Mazda has been telling owners that there's no problem in the transmission, or that they haven't found it yet. I was just suggesting that maybe the problem isn't in the transmission and its software, but in how other systems interact with it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, sometimes my brain and mouth are working perfectly, but together... forget it.

Steve, Host
    well presented.

one problem (from my perspective) is if there is an inherent design defect in the "logical architecture", then one wonders why all vehicles with identical architecture don't seem to exhibit the problem.

to counter that - just an example or two:

one might assume that if the system design is marginal and not very fault tolerant, a component of the architecture could be non-conforming...say perhaps a component on a commom communications bus sending messages when it shouldn't be resulting in message collisions between boxes/modules...and the result could be poor overall system behavior / performance.

another possibility raised before in the thread is simply just one faulty sensor.

these are evidently fairly complex systems and without a better understanding of the system design and operation, people may falsely conclude the defect lies in one area, when in fact it really lies elsewhere.

so yes - i'm with you - perhaps the TCM and ECM or other pieces like the transmission aren't working together as they should.

there have been some observations that when the vehicle is warm - the likelyhood of the hard-shift goes up. that might fit with a thermal sensitivity - a faulty transducer or a faulty micro-processor based component which is being affected by some heat source.

if that were the case though, would the mitigation via software patch alone be sufficient?

one wonders. it is an interesting problem, with i'm sure an interesting ultimate root cause...
    Anyone want to discuss the hypergounding theory and engine temperature input at this point. Talk about interaction. All these folks that are bolting on hypergrounding setups are raving about how much better everything works on their cars once everything is properly grounded. And I haven't heard anyone complaining about cold engine 2-3 shift problems. So.....would a properly grounded tranny, engine, and TCM interact a little better? I heard from a few of you that ran out to look at their punny battery grounding cables. Perhaps saving a few pennies on weak wiring may cost have Mazda big bucks in the long run.
  • dan2004dan2004 Member Posts: 86
    For the past week I have stopped experiencing the hard shift problem on my 2004 MPV. It is too early to say if this is going to stick or only temporary, but I put on about 300 miles without experiencing one hard shift, which never happened before.

These are some of the possible contributing factors:

1) Shortly before this change I had the ATF replaced with Mobil 1 ATF, although the hard shifting continued right after the change

2) I took the MPV on a week long ski trip which put 400 miles of high speed and up and down hill driving on the car. I started noticing some improvment while doing the hill driving.

3) The MPV past the 3000 mile mark

4) After reading the posts on the hypergrounding, I tightened the battery ground cable at the point where it is bolted to the car frame.

I think there have been other posts noting improvement after extended highway runs.

However there could be a zillion other factors, and the problem could return anytime.

Good luck to all and will keep updating my situation. In the meantime I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Good Luck, keep us posted.
  • vickie5vickie5 Member Posts: 12
    My 2003 MPV now has a 4900 miles on it. Yesterday on the way home I hit the button to close the sunroof, It slid forward and raised up to close, BUT didn't stop and kept on going. There was a terrible popping sound and it died. Nothing worked. I stopped by the dealer after much tinkering they have to replace the motor and the sensor....GREAT!! The tech asked if the car was still under warranty looked at the work order and said "OH you only have 4900 miles on this car." EXACTLY!!! While I was there I also had them re-check the tranny wanted it on record a second time. I made my way to the Service Manager to talk to him about the tranny slipping. The guy was a total arrogant jerk. Get this he told me that **most** cars have tranny problems and it shouldn't be a concern. WHAT!!!! I reminded him that this car is a NEW car and to please not even go there with me. Being that I am of the female persuasion I guess he thought I am an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about. I let him know different. Of course after the "test drive" I was told the tranny shifted like butter and since they couldn't duplicate it at the shop...then oh well. I'm really starting to get irritated with this whole thing. Since my first visit to the dealer on 11/26 I have kept a record of the tranny slipping and banging. When I go back to the dealer to get the sunroof repaired I will drop the NHTSA Complaints print out, the edmunds.com print out and the MPV Club Index on his desk regarding the phantom banging shifting problem that everyone is imagining. Could someone tell me how I can get in touch with the Mazda Western Regional Representative so I can work him and get the warranty extened. Any help would be appreciated. I'm so tired of getting the "I don't know what your talking about" look from the dealer. This is so bad. If this van was a dog I would have already put it to sleep! --Thanks
  • rumor24rumor24 Member Posts: 74
    I have almost 1700 miles on my 04. It is now bangs along more often and harder than before. 1 out of every 4 stops it is doing it, there is no zoom left because it leaves the tranny spongy at best. i have seriously considered taking an ad out in the local and the chicago newspapers explaining what we all have experienced and the way mazda is handling it. Of course I will consult a laywer to make sure it is all proper and legal. I will give mazda until the end of jan to do the right thing otherwise I am going very public with all of this info. I wonder if dateline would like a story like this one. You always see them doing stories on how the public is treated, maybe they would be interested in this one. If I find out how to contact them, I will let you all know and we can all send letters, the more they receive, the more interesting the story would be. Mazda would have to do the right thing then.
  • moibmoib Member Posts: 49
    Great idea about Dateline. Maybe they could put a hidden microphone and camera on you as you deal with your Mazda dealer etc. (Or maybe even John Stossel on 20/20's Give Me A Break segment? Although I don't think he does "hidden camera" stuff.)

Best of luck in whatever you end up doing....I'd be as furious as the rest of you are if I was having that shifting problem. (I'd be scared for my safety, too, not to mention my tranny's condition.)
    Sharon
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I believe they have a web site you can use to contact them. You know it's the ol'www. thing. I think that I would be parking the old MPV next to the dealer with a sign on it stating how bad the van is. I would also be driving around town with a sign stating that this or that car company can't fix my car.

People should shy away from this vehicle until the problem is solved. I said that over two months ago and people still believe that this won't happen to me and continue to purchase this van. Unbelievable.
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    The posts are sounding more and more like a ground/voltage problem. The sun roof probably has a logic stop on it and the stop malfunctioned and didn't shut motor off. TTL(computer logic levels) logic voltage is usually 5.0 volts with an error of +/- .1v... Ground cables that are too small or forcing the ground through metal parts of the car will cause voltage drops. The drops could change depending on vibration of metal parts or voltage loads on the buss such as lights, wipers, heater motors, ect...

The negitive terminal of the battery should have at least four large stranded wires coming from it. One to the engine block by starter. #two to the tranny. #three to the front car body. #four to the rear of the car body... But vibration and power loads will cause a varations of voltage and noise from motors (heaters, servos, door sliders, will cause problems if not filtered out...

The biggest problem is going to be the dealers. Their techinical level of their service departments are not anywhere near what it takes to understand computer noise problems...

I drove my 03 MPV(10K) to Los Angeles and back (800 miles) on the bumpty bump LA ten lane bumper to bumper freeways (temp 65 no rain some fog) and the car ran perfectly all the way. The tranny was perfect in the stop and go traffic. My point is that the overall design of the car is fine. The tranny is excellent. Assume that the tranny oil is clean and at proper levels and all electronic componets are wired properly and working. I have the original software. Then that leaves the power voltage and ground.
    What everyone could do is to inspect the battery ground cable where it is bolted just below the battery. Make sure the connection is tight and clean.. There is another cable there that runs to the engine. The engine and body ground depend on this connection.(Very poor design). If moisture and acid is(oxidation increases resistance) on the connection then you have a possible problem...

WARNING: do not loosen this ground connection. you must remove the battery PLUS terminal first. In case you have to clean the ground connections. Removing the PLUS cable will reset the computer but will not glitch it... Make sure that the ground is clean and tight before you replace the PLUS cable on the battery....
    Tj
    Tj makes some good points. Could be that the connection from the battery ground to the body frame in the back and below the battery is the achilles heel of this beast.

Would be interesting if Rumor24 or Notasoccermom followed Tj directions about cleaning and tightening the terminals to see if that makes a difference.

BTW, I did notice some rust on the engine mounts in my 2004 MPV so some corrosion could have affected the ground connections too.
  • alf928alf928 Member Posts: 3
    After having the sliding door repaired Dec 03, we are still experiencing problems with the door not closing flush with the van, opening back up and it even opened up when my husband had to put back our donut tire. The door was closed and parked in our garage, he was on the floor trying to put the tire back and all the of sudden the door popped open. We called the dealer and because we invoked our lemon law rights, they said they could not touch our van until they hear from the corporate office. So, as an interim fix, we are operating the doors manually. We sent a certified letter to Mazda invoking our lemon law rights in Nov 03. Finally heard from a Case Rep after having to call numerous times. Let him know since the last repair, we still had problems. He wasn't of much help. He said that he would have to have a tech inspect the car and would need to do more research. Come on, how much research do you need to do, we provided all the invoices from the numerous times it was "fixed". They replaced the motor, several other parts, and made adjustments, it still doesn't work. We are giving the Case Rep a few days, then we will be bugging the heck out of him. We also sent a second letter with detailing our conversations and recent problems with the van. In the mean time, we are also checking into getting a lawyer.

Our power door problems, don't compare to some of the tranny problems others have experienced, but it is still frustrating as heck.
  • nd4speed35nd4speed35 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2003 MPV on 12/23/03.I currently have 535 miles on it.I have experienced the hard shift between 2nd and 3rd.My question is if it is poor vehicle grounding than why does it only happen between 2-3 upshift and why didn't it happen for the first 300 miles I put on the vehicle.I took my mpv to the dealer on friday.The dealer reflashed the tcm and I drove it for approx. 75-100 miles and had no problems.The trans problem came back on Sunday after I put some mileage on it.I disconnected the positive cable from the battery and cleared the tcm and ecm,reconnected the positive on the battery and drove the vehicle with no shift problems so far but I'm sure it will come back.
  • goldenfamgoldenfam Member Posts: 3
    I just found this discussion group. Glad I did - glad I'm not alone! I also just Emailed Mazda, from their site, about the shifting problem.

I just took my 2003 MPV (LX) in a week ago for the hard shifting. Mine occurs ALWAYS from 1st to 2nd gear, mostly in the "cold" state, but not necessarily - sometimes while warm. While the dealership said they actually felt it on a cold drive the next morning after taking it in, they said there are multiple complaints about this same problem, but it is operating "normally". What?@#)@! They said it's because it has an electronic transmission, and that's what they do sometimes. Yeah, ok.

I'll keep checking this site for updates, and look into the HyperGrounding I'm reading about. Thanks for the info everyone puts out here, and again - I'm glad I'm not alone. I, too, am worried about the day after my warranty, when the tranny falls to pieces.
    Bottom line - this is a new vehicle and shouldn't be shifting like this.

Thanks again,
    Doug
  • owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    On the door poppong open on your husband - (and I've done this, that's why I ask...) could it have been something in his pocket that hit the key fob and opened the doors? When I work on the car (oil change, etc.), I invariably move my leg and smush my keys together and invaribaly trip the panic alarm or open a door...

As for the doors - have you made sure the contacts in the door and pillar are clean - take a pencil or pen eraser to them to clean them off. Have you checked the lower track for any obstructions (cheerios, etc.). Whenever our doors act up on our 2002 ES, these are the first two things we check.

RBB
    Banging on the bottom of the frame makes the side door open? Oh yeah, that is a classic symptom of grounding and harness problems. There is a solid state switch that controls the door motor. If a glitch hits that switch then it will activate the motor... Computer controls are very stupid. They don't reason....
    Same idea for a malfunction on the sun roof motors..

I have heard time and again about when the dealer reflashes the TCM that the tranny shifts good for awhile, then problem returns.. What if there is a bad connection/ground to the TCM and when dealer distrubs it, it works good until the bad "connection" returns from vibration????

This would explain why Mazda can't come up with a fix... Glitchy computers are a nightmare to fix...
    It might be simple and it might not be. Hopfully the problems is not a bad wiring harness or some pinched wires in the frame somewhere....
    There is special equipment for finding glitchs such as this... But the Jerk Water dealers won't have it or have a clue how to use it...

I have heard of Electronic repair shops for cars but have never seen one....

Tj
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I haven't posted here in a while but have kept up with the tranny complaints.
    The computer controlled tranny does "learn" from driving habits. Whether that's a good idea or not is another story...
    Anyway, from all the postings this doesn't sound like a grounding problem. The transmission isn't drawing all that much current for computer controlled sensors to activate and poor grounding would be showing up elsewhere in the electronic controlled modules. The fact that a reflash seems to cure shifting for a "short time" comes back (IMO) to a logic chip somewhere that's loosing it's ASIC code.
    I'm have no idea how many MPV's are experiencing this or if there has been an actual tranny failure yet. If Mazda was smart (maybe they are..) they could research VIN numbers, logic chips (likely more than one manufacturer or vendor from my experience) and build date(s). Then draw a conclusion (make it so...).
    The fact that (or so it appears) Mazda has yet to satisfy this problem in the time span this has developed points to (again, IMO) that the number of complaints has not reached the magic number yet, the cure is "big bucks", or they are completely baffled (chose one - checking two does not qualify... :))
    Past 350 miles driven without a hardshift. I don't know whether it'll come back again later.
    Car passed 3000 miles mark,
    It has been extreme cold temperature here in New England,
    The last hard shift happened when I changed from regular unlead, filled the tank with Super unlead. Now it is the #3 tank of premium gas.
    Checked out the ground cable on the battery. The Plus cable is three times bigger than the minus cable!!!!
    Geezzz, the minus ground cable should be bigger than the Plus cable... Terrible design. Now,, the minus cable is one piece that runs to the engine block.
    The problem is just below the battery they have stripped the insulation from the cable and crimped a connector that bolts to the body..

Crimping cables is a terrible way to make a low voltage/current connection. The connection should be soldered as not to be effected by corrosion and vibration...
    There is another ground cable on the right side of engine that connects the body to the engine block by way of the mounting flange...

They ground the right side car body by way of the engine block!!!!
    This is extremely poor design... Same kind of undersized crummy cable... I can imagine what road salt does to these connections....
    Tj
    the observations that users are having with the car cold and no problem doesn't fit with an IC "loosing" code. and if it lost it - how would it temporarily regain it so the device functioned normally for some miles?

battery backed RAM memory retention problem? i suppose it's possible.

grounding? as another poster indicates, if true, why would it exhibit in most people's vehicles on a 2->3 shift. why would it start off OK, and get bad as the car warmed up? for others, why would the situation improve over time. myself, i tend to doubt this as the root cause.

a thermal flakey? i would think that would be more likely than the other scenarios. ie: some cold solder joints on a printed ckt board, a ckt board with hairline fractures in some traces, a heat sensitive component, a heat sensitive transducer / encoder...

personally, i like much better theories involving an actuator like a solenoid with stiction issues, or perhaps clogged hydraulic passages. maybe even something like a non-linearity in the gas pedal position encoder.

but who knows really?
  • cincywheelzcincywheelz Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a new vehicle. The MPV is (was?) on the short list but there is no way I would buy one until the tranny problem is addressed.
    I HATE to read about consumers being dogged by manufacturers and dealers. Been there, done that. Reading about Mazda service managers treating customers like 5-yr-olds does not make this vehicle very enderaring, either.
    Let me clue you folks in about on board computers and disconnected batteries and cables. No power, no memory. Luckily NAPA makes a small 9 volt battery cigarlighter plugin that will hold the computer's memory while changing, cleaning, or tightening battery connections. It's one of the gadgets your owner's manual doesn't tell you about. It's $75+ to have the dealer re-learn your computer after changing the battery. I'm really hoping we're on to something here!!
    You made the right call. Everyone buys a new car because they don't want headache, now this tranny is a little headache for mpv owners. AND NO CURE yet.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    I wouldn't take the MPV out of the running. Our '03 has 6000 miles on it, no problems.

I have an '03 TL Type S w/Nav. They have such a transmission issue that Honda extended the warranty to 7/100k miles. I have 17k miles on mine, no problems with my transmission.

And I'm not worried about either. These are remote problems. Are they annoying to those that have them, certainly. Would I be screaming on every message board if I had a problem, you bet.

But that's just it, how many posts back do you have to go before you read a "No problems with my MPV", "Love my MPV". Message boards are mostly for problems and issues. Don't be spooked by what you read here. Be concerned, yes, but not frightened away.

Just my $.02 ($.005 after taxes)
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    We bought an '02 Acura TL/S and quickly found out it had three trannys before our purchase. While working with the dealer and Acura we began having problems that led to the replacement of the third tranny. One week later while on the phone with the dealer the fourth replacement tranny failed. It was a CPO vehicle but Acura would not get involved. So typical of large car manufacturers.

All of this in 32k miles. Acura has made considerable efforts to correct their problems but during the beginning of this issue continued to act as Mazda is acting now.

Maybe this is a way to keep sales up at the same time working on the issue "behind" the scenes.

The TL had me bought and if not for the tranny issues we'd still have it. Good luck with yours and you may not ever need a replacment.

If it were not for these forums many owners would never know problem existed with most vehicles. Same goes for good items as well like the fact my wife loves this van and is one of those who said, "I'll never drive a minivan".

Our '04 MPV is demonstrating the hard shift at least once a day now @ 2800 miles. I experienced the issue but unless it is found to be a significant issue by Mazda I am not worried about it. Anyone who has ever driven a muscle car with a shift kit knows how the hard shifts feels.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I believe that you are making the wise decision. You have this information and how you use it is up to you, but if you decide to buy the MPV and you end up having the trans problem, you'll have only yourself to blame.

Let the people who are having this problem fight with Mazda, and then/if they resolve it, buy one.

Why get into a mess?

Good Luck!
    Well said. How can you guarantee your new mpv won't have the tranny hard-shift? No way because mazda dealer won't let you return the car once you take delivery (bad isn't it? You can return a bought item to Walmart but not cars.) and get refund/exchange, or wait till mazda has a fix.
    I have been trying to get that extended coverage but as of today I am still scrambling to find someone who will discuss it. As for the hard shift, they are coming more frequently and seem to be harder. I guess I will have to blow this thing up so I can get a new tranny out of it, thought a new one would probably still be junk. I will let you know how the extended goes. By the way, I have contacted some of the big media people like dateline and such. Just waiting to hear back from them.
    If anyone really wants an MPV before the transmission issue is decisively resolved, then you should at least haggle the dealer unmercifully over price.

These things are not exactly flying off the lots, and there are quite a few 2003s left over.
  • jeff_nhjeff_nh Member Posts: 2
    I called my local Mazda dealer today to make an appt to 'document' the fact that I was experiencing the hard shift problem. I was told they were fully aware of the problem, they have 12 MPV's documented at this location with the problem, including this guys wife's MPV. He said I could bring it in but they probably couldn't do anything about it, they are expecting a fix to come from Mazda on February 18. Pretty specific date, don't you think? I'll call the guy back in a couple of weeks to see if he is saying the same date.
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    Jeff,

I'm taking my MPV in for a service on Thursday. I'll see if I can get the same date out of my dealer.

Steve.
    Ok, if we believe Mazda has the tranny issue well in hand let's get down to some real "nit picking". Like why don't dealers known how to put on pin striping that won't peel off. Or a tire size that almost no one makes (17 inch ES). Or my coffee mug doesn't fit the holder. DH
    Is it me or does this thing suck gas big time? I filled to full on Sun with very little driving, roughly 20 some miles and I have used a 1/4 of a tank of gas. I wonder if it isn't a tranny issue but a fuel issue and that is why they are stalling due to an epa issue like some of have been told. Mine is hard shifting so much I don't know what a smooth shift feels like. I know I have been smelling gas inside the van while driving. Maybe I am paranoid. At this point I think I would just rather have my money back so I can go back to toyota
    You might want to look for a leaking fuel line. All that hard shifting may have broken or loosened a fuel line connection. Be paranoid not parbroiled anytime you smell fuel.
    Well we got our 7/100 extended warranty signed, sealed, and delivered. It does give us some piece of mind. Our regional Mazda rep still will not commit to any dates, because he doesn't want to make any promises he can't keep. But he did tell us he's "hopeful it will be within 60 days". He also encouraged us to keep bugging him for updates, and to keep in the back of our minds what our rights are as a consumer (lemon law). But that is ultimately our decision and he hopes he won't go that route because he knows this problem will be resolved. We're just hanging out for now.

As a side note, our MPV also seems to have quieted down a bit now that it's at 3500K miles. Doesn't happen nearly as often, sometimes not at all. Maybe my husband has figured out the magic way to avoid the hard shift, or the van really has adjusted to our driving habits. Or maybe the teeth on the transmission gears have all been shorn smooth so we don't feel it anymore--LOL!!! We will still have the reflash done when it comes out of course.

Vickie5, I really hate that you are having problems with your dealership not taking you seriously. As a fellow female, I know what it's like. Whenever I have taken my cars in and I tell them what the car's doing, and I also tell them that I think it may be this or that, they smirk at me like "yeah, sure". And usually I'm right! I wish you luck, and try to get that warranty!!
    Sounds like you are making progress. One thing--if your van stops hard shifting do not let Mazda touch it!

You can always have the "fix" if it starts hard shifting again.

My 2004 is still shifting properly after 10 days--a record!

You may want to consider changing the fluid to Mobil 1 ATF although it costs about $130 for the fluid and labor.
This discussion has been closed.