Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Didn't you just go through something like this about a week ago? If you reset the reminder (per page 95 in the manual), won't this DING stop as well?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Now, that MUST be more annoying than the click from the analog clock every minute in the Navigator, eh, gteach?

Good to hear from you old buddy!! NV
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Hi nvbanker, garyh1.....

Yes, I went through a similar "ding" experience with a "main't required" message. That ding however, only occurred once at car start-up but the red exclamation mark stayed put. Thanks to some advice from this board I was able to reset it. The washer fluid "ding!" comes on EVERY 60 seconds! Yikes.

The fact that this car is so smooth and quiet only serves to make the "dings!" even more obtrusive and startling.

I'm not sure If I can reset the washer fluid message but I'll sure give it a try next time -- even if I have to pull over and do it.

The message center on this car is proving to be quite pushy! I guess I can just turn up the Levinson sound system to drown out the "dings!"
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Guys:

Doesn't the washer fluid ding go off when you fill up the container?

If the ding stays on ....Can't you just call Lexus service and ask how to turn it off. What do they say when you do call them...

I would make my second call to Lexus USA...
    ...after you fill up the container. I just happened to be on a 60 mile trip when the dinging started. 60 miles with a "Ding!" every 60 seconds.

I was all dinged out by the time I got to my destination!
    It would have driven me crazy...you are a lot tougher then I am.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yes, that would make me dingy!!!!!
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    This was reported on another board and I myself have experienced it. Where in my BMW after a turn I could "glide" around and then accelerate, in the LS it feels like it breaks a bit and then I have to give it some gas. Anyone experience the same sensation? Is it inherent in the "drive by wire" which I hear mentioned?
    I always thought it was recommended to slow down going into the turn then accelerate through through it? At least that is what I did in my youth.
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    How are you people with the chrome wheel option doing on longevity? Mine have a deteriorated finish after 14 months - microscopic pits that will not polish out.
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    My driving instructor at high school taught us to brake for the first third of a turn, glide/coast for the middle third and finally accelerate for the last third of a turn for the smoothest drive.

A very limited look at some of the racing cornering literature, I see many brake for the first one half of a turn and then accelerate out of the last half of a turn.

This is what I understand currently.

I believe the transmission on the LS430 (and most other automatics) tends to upshift whenever the accelerator is not depressed for better gas mileage. Holding a lower gear may be inherent in a BM or certainly when the ECT control is switched to sport on the LS.
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    In short the dealer holds to the point that the car was not purchased their so we would not be entilted to one. We would get one only after we have had the car serviced a few times. Headquarters apologized but there is nothing they can do as they have no control over the dealerships. Seems like the dealer is looking at it from a money perspective and not from a service perspective.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    I have an 03 LS 430 Ultra with chrome wheels and they are blemish free. Look as good as the day I bought the car(Jan03). If the car is still in warranty I would check with dealer and have the defective wheels replaced.
    Ron
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Factory Chrome or Dealer Chromed Wheels. Not all LS430 Chrome wheels are the same. Some dealers have them chromed locally. Even so, Ron's comment is still valid. Good Luck
    What is the name of the Dealer...

If possible I would try another Dealer.

It will not take many complaints like yours for him not to be an Elite dealer.

I would definately get even when those service Inquires came in....

I personally think you are being had by this dealer.
    Something is not right.
    Having experienced the slight hesitation in my 04 LS 430 and reading in many places that it was inherent, part of the LS experience etc. I then came across a posting that told of a tech bulletin TSB TC006-04 for this symptom. I decided to stop in to my dealer today and he gladly performed this "computer download" to adjust the shifting. I drove home and found the car noticably crisper in accelerating and that annoying microscopic but perceptible pause seemed like it was gone. The power of information. Keep up the good work everyone.
  • jbeejbee Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if you could get the p.scan (program scan) feature that the manual discusses to work.

It doesn't do anything for me.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    That is unbelievable, yet true. Sorry to hear that. Seems like there will always be exception to the norm, and this is the outlier of the bunch.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I test drove an '06 S500 this morning, and was impressed. I'm thinking about trading my '01 LS430 for one. Or, I may go for an '05 LS430. Is there anyone out there who traded an LS430 for an S500? How do you feel about it now? I see a lot of advantages both ways, most of which are on the LS430's side. But the S500 sure is beautiful!
    (Eddie Fisher said that "a pretty face is just a pretty face"; that principle may apply here.) I looked at the A8L and 745iL, but they don't do much for me.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    With a brand new S-class on the horizon and a brand new LS right afterward I'd sit tight - unless you don't have a choice to wait out the new editions.
    I actually prefer the styling of the current S-Class over the upcoming one, although they look pretty much the same to my eyes. I would expect the reliability of the '06 to be better than the '07. And maybe they're discounting the '06s; I haven't inquired about the price. I know there are big discounts available on '05s, which as far as I know are identical to '06s. I don't know much about the '07 LS. I may wait and see; that's certainly the smartest thing to do. I don't HAVE to do anything.
    Lexus of Smithtown, It appears their website says Elite dealer 2003 so I guess they missed their mark since then. I had to bring the car back last night as a part came in and the service manager again stated it is the dealer's policy not to provide a loaner car where the vehcile was not purchased their, especially not for a major repair. I guess if I had spent what I paid for the car their they would be more receptive to my needs. Although disappointed, I still have a wonderful car.
  • tmkmtmkm Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know which model year the new LS is going to be and when it is expected to hit the dealer?
    My understanding is that the new LS will be available in fall '06 as an '07 model.
    A wonderful car deserves a wonderful dealer...With a major Warrenty repair going on I think they owe you that loaner...Call lexus USA again and really let them know how displeased you are.. I would definately try to find another dealer there must be one not too far away..

The Quality Service is a big part of the lexus ownership experience...
    Here is a link to the Elite of Lexus dealers in the US...http://www.lexus.com/dealers/eol.html
    Ok I need help. I brought the car in yesterday so they can fix the cig. lighter and when I picked the car up there was a three inch scratch directly below the key hole. The dealer of course originally denied any wrongdoing. Before the car came in, they noted all imperfections but this one. In addition, the week before they did not detect this scratch either. I know for a fact they did it because the remote was all messed up meaning they used the key to get in. The dealer finally admitted they did it when his reports failed to identify the scratch. He has to check with the manager but he offered to sand and repaint the driver side door. The car is 3 1/2 years old. Will the color match up or will there be a noticeable difference. Do they have to take the door off and if so am I opening up a can of worms. Joking around I said are you going to give me a loaner car while it is repaired and there was no response. What should I do?
    Here is what I would do:

1) Get an answer about the loaner car....I would read the warrenty from cover to cover...

2) If the answer is NO...I would call Lexus USA again ..and really get insistant..After all it is THE DEALERS FAULT.

3) If My response from Lexus was the least bit less then what I would want I would talk to a supervisor and his supervisor if necessary. Lexus cannot Detach their Reputation from the DEALER....YOU the customer view the two as one...Make that clear to them.

4) I would threaten to call the Papers and the local consumer advocate (if there is one) and explain the whole mess to them.

5) The paint job better be perfect or I would be calling Lexus USA AGAIN.

6) You have that link to Lexus Elite Dealers..Hopefully there is one in your area.

7) If I still had problems I would call Lexus Corporate in the US...Find out who the CEO is of the US operation and CAll him...Talk about how unacceptable it is to get promisses that are not kept and how it is "up to the Dealer" is just not an acceptable answer....Let him know you EXPECT service that is as GOOD as the car...And you will ASSUME the car is as good/bad as the service.

8) If the Dealer tells you there will be no loaner in Step 1...I think I would immidately send a letter (e-mail) to Lexus Corporate...and then do the other stuff. Lexus USA will give you the name and e-Mail for the company President/ceo
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    If y'all remember, I test drove a basic LS 430 several weeks back and was not satisfied with the experience.
    This bothered me enough to seek out another dealership who had a basic LS with 13 miles on it in silver which I feel IS this car's color.
    I drove the car this morning.
    I made sure the power button was "on."
    A totally different experience this time-smooth, powerful, good braking. Impressive.
    The only negatives were two:
    1. the gated shifter-needlessly annoying.
    2.steering a little light coming from a BMW but I quickly got used to it.
    Regarding the conservative "looks:" All I know is my heart always skips a beat when I see this car-especially in "mercury metallic."
    The car goes back on my short list. Have to decide by early July.
    Regards,
    hpowders
    I had the 2001 in silver and must say that the mercury mertallic in the refreshed look is a lot more striking than the 2001-3 silver. Amazing how a slightly different silver tone and a slghtly refreshed styling can make such a difference and present a bolder more striking look. So I know exactly what you mean re the heart skipping a beat. I was so drawn to that mercury metallic the other day when I walked by one. The ash interior on the LS is also stunning.
    Funny-I feel just the opposite when I see it in black. Don't like the front grille. But in silver-no problem!
    According to my salesman, a lot of Tampa Bay Bucs have ordered the LS including ex-Buc, Joe Jurevicius.
    So all you folks out there who call the LS a "geezer-mobile,"
    TAKE THAT!
    I have it in black and love the car in black.
    We agree to disagree on the color. As long as you like it.
    Anyhow, I'm just glad today's test drive was a positive experience.
    Now to review all the "Prices Paid & Buying Experiences" posts for the LS.
    Curious - can they get you the euro if you want that trim.
    Hp:

If you were to get a Ultra ($68,000 discounted) you would have a sport button that tightens up the steering and automatically lowers the car and tightens the suspension if you are pushing it hard.

It truly is a great car.
    I have black with crome wheels...It is very nice and not quite as conservative looking..Problem Black is really hard to keep clean looking.
    I didn't ask. I don't like the look of the chrome wheel covers. I don't feel they match the conservative, rich, sophisticated nature of the car.
    Just goes to show everybody's different-you say potato....
    I feel the chrome wheels clash with the conservative styling of the car. I prefer the standard 17" non-chrome wheel covers.
    One thing we would all agree on I think-it's a heck of a smooth ride!
    I was impressed by how the car did not feel big and heavy.
    This time, I got an LS that had plenty of power.
    This was fun!
    The"gotta have it" factor was pretty high after that drive.
    A few of my neighbors have 2004-2005 LS's-one in silver-which is my favorite.
    And one guy has it in white which I must say I like almost as much as the silver. I can't stop staring at it.
    My wife doesn't understand any of this-how the sight of a certain car in a certain color can race the pulse.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    My favorite car colors are white (pearl or diamond white) and silver. My '99 LS and '03 Matrix are white, while my '01 Sequoia is Silver. For my next car, I plan to remain with these two colors. Of course, the LS in Pearl white white tan interior is an excellent combination, if I must say so. In Silver/ash ain't bad either....but not quite as striking as the white/tan combo, IMO.

:)
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the LS430. I'd bet you know the ins/outs of prices paid on the LS430 as well as any of us without re-reviewing it!

As you know, I just picked up my LS430. It is silver/black. I really suggest you check out the 18" silver (non-chrome) wheels if you have not already seen the silver metallic with 18" wheels.
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    TSIB TC006-04 was performed on my 2004 LS430 today. I concur with the previous post that this redalibration of the ECM solves the problem.
    I have crome wheels...Not wheel covers...
    You're right. I know every deal made on this car that's been posted. You saw through that one! Even so, I will still re-read them. I can't wait 'til July when the games begin. My lease is up in early August. Another possibility is to extend my BMW lease 'til December so I can take advantage of the lower "December To Remember" money factor.
    According to kyfdx, BMW leases can be extended up to 4 or 5 months. Also, at that time, I would hopefully be able to negotiate a good cap. cost on a just out 2006 LS, being that this would be the last year for its design.

I will send out "feelers" in early July to Lexus dealers. If I can get a good deal by August on a 2005, then so be it.
    Otherwise, it's on to plan B and a December I will truly remember.
    Yeah. Chrome wheels. I'm still stuck in "Happy Days" with wheel covers!
    Anyhow, today was a happy day for me. I finally got to experience a real LS.
    Several weeks ago, a different dealership set me up with a real dud.
    Glad I was bothered enough to follow up elsewhere.
    According to the 2004 LS brochure, the sports package consisting of euro-tuned sports suspension and 18" polished-finish alloy wheels with P245/45R18 tires can be ordered for premium and modern luxury packages but not with ultra luxury or custom luxury packages.
    As long as the alloy wheels are not chrome, count me in on the sports package.
    when I bought my lexus I was attracted to the fact that it is stately and not flashy...

The Silver color is a super choice...doesn't show dirt..Goes great with a varity of interior colors...Black is awesome with it. ( I think you said you liked black interior)
    Glad to hear it. I am really quite surprised and pleased as to what a difference it makes. I would really reccomend that anyone with this slight hesitation get this upgrade. To me it really has transformed the car.
    Yes. I like the black interior. But I think I will let the wife decide on the interior-black or ash. I could be happy with either.
    In Florida, the ash is probably more practical.
    As long as the exterior is mercury metallic.
    I hate to tell you this Hpowders but if you go with the LS430 you seem like a prime candidate to lose control of the car to the better half. Already happened to me and sv7887 is in process of losing control.