Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    With one major difference, lijflx. My wife, believe it or not, DOESN'T DRIVE!
    Is this a perfect scenario or what?
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Very interesting. I am wondering if perhaps the first LS you drove with the hesitation was due to the car needing the software upgrade that I referred to in an earlier post. This is the fix for the hesitation and the less than smooth acceleration. It is for all 04's and some 05's and available on request for owners who object to the slight pause and surge characteristic. It seems that most people aren't aware of this remedy or are not dissatisfied with this trait. (Thankfully, I read about the service bulletin on this site.) Like you, I came out of a BMW so this was a bit annoying to me and I was quite surprised as to the difference it has made. The car really punches forward instantly now. The Power mode, on the other hand did not solve this issue for me, so I would bet that the first car you drove was in need of the software download and the second was not. Steering is a little light compared to BMW and not as crisp in that department nor in cornering but it is a true luxury ride. And for me a big part of that is comfort, fit and finish and last but not least, the peace of mind of Never having to worry if some electronic gremlin is going to pop up at any moment which will cause you some major inconvenience. I Never worry about anything mechanical going wrong in this car.
    I believe the tradeoffs are fair coming from BMW.
    Very comfortable, smooth ride with a lot of power and very good seats.
    Yes, a little light on steering, but I quickly got used to it.
    It seems Lexus has fixed the hesitation problem because the LS I drove yesterday had great acceleration and the car was new-only 13 miles on it.
    If it wasn't for my current lease binding me 'til August, this car would have been mine.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Hpowders - If you want the Euro you may need some lead time to order it. Keep that in mind as you go forward.
    Okay. Good point, ljflx. I will keep that in mind.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    "Having experienced the slight hesitation in my 04 LS 430 and reading in many places that it was inherent, part of the LS experience etc. I then came across a posting that told of a tech bulletin TSB TC006-04 for this symptom. I decided to stop in to my dealer today and he gladly performed this "computer download" to adjust the shifting. I drove home and found the car noticably crisper in accelerating and that annoying microscopic but perceptible pause seemed like it was gone. The power of information. Keep up the good work everyone."

I guess I can take credit for this one (see my posts in LS: Problems and Solutions #1416 on 2/15; Lexus LS #7168 on 3/9). Now even Bimmer-owners can enjoy the LS experience- right Howard?

BTW, an excellent source of info on TSBs for all makes is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov ; you can search by year, make, then model. There are few other TSBs for the '04-early '05 LS that owners might find of interest.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    If you think you want the 18" with sport package, better drive it extensively and be sure that's what you want. My salesman made the switch for a customer from 17" to 18" and then had to switch them back. The customer was not happy with the 18" at all. I acknowledge that he did not get the sport package. I also understand that some of the dealers ordered the LS430 with 18" wheels and not the sport package? The 18" tires are a different breed of cat.
    Hey rgsw.
    Do you know why the customer was not happy with the 18" wheels?
    Please explain what you mean that the 18" are a different breed.
    Thanks.
    hpowders
    I think this is a reference to the discussion that has been going on on this forum about the impact of the 18" vs. 17" tires on noise and vibration, etc.

Started around message #6903. Do a search on this forum on '18"' and you'll be able to easily see the issues.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    hpowders,
    Good to hear you liked the LS experience. One note about Silver. It is a very difficult car to keep "Shiny." My previous LS430 was the silver/black combo and when polished it didn't shine to well. (I used Autoglym polishes and 3M waxes)

Silver is one of those colors that lacks depth unlike black or navy blue. The best way is to use Zaino polishes. It will literally glow once you're done with it and the finish is very durable. It does look unnatural to some extent but it does make it eye catching.

I finally have gotten back to the US..5 Weeks in London was starting to get on my nerves. You'll never guess what my wife did..Once I got back in the house I quickly made way to the garage to have a look at my new car...I opened the driver door and she put THE CLUB on the steering wheel!!!!! She followed me downstairs with this evil grin on her face. "Nice to see you like MY new car!" Oh it's totally on now..I'll steal it back eventually. I swear she's going to get a Toyota Echo for doing this!!!

SV
    Thanks for the info. sv7887.
    Whenever my wife decides she will take driving lessons, I change the subject to curtains or floor-tiles. Hasn't failed me yet. But if it ever does, well I guess that's what Toyota Echos are for.
    Hope she never finds out who hpowders is.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    When test driving 18" versus 17" tires, be sure you are driving over the exact same patch of road.

Yesterday I drove over several different sorts of road surfaces in the course of 12 miles, while running an errand. I hit one patch of blacktop that was particularly noisy: I could almost see the pebbles in it. Once that bit ended and I was on nice, smooth asphalt, our LS (with 17" tires) was 'quiet' again.
    HP--

If you liked the silver, check out the Flint Mica. I liked it a lot-- combines some of the look of silver with the advantages of a darker color. Very smart looking, IMO.

SV--

I like your wife's sense of humor! At least she didn't go to the dealer and incur the expense of changing out the Smart Keys.... Hey, after leaving her home while you were in London for 5 weeks, you're lucky she didn't change the house locks on you!
    I'm not an expert in this area. I'm have read in this forum (as others are posting) that 18" tires have more ridgid sidewalls and the ride is not as smooth. They wear faster than 17". My post was more to alert you to what I had read earlier in this forum and what my salesman told me. He did not expand on what the customer did not like about the 18" wheels.
    Flint Mica looks nice in the brochure. I will go to a dealership and check this out.
    I looked at a slightly used LS in the Flint Mica in December and it *is* a beautiful color....rather a dark charcoal grey with an almost soft black look to it. I passed on the car due to 18" wheels . . . and bought the Mercury Metallic.
    Right. In the brochure it looks like a dark gray. Handsome color.
    Mercury metallic is still my #1 but I do want to see the flint mica in person.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt about the 2007 LS? If it were to come as a hybred with all wheel drive, well then, I'm chomping at the bit--can't wait. On the other hand, any thing else would not encourage me to switch. Thanks for any information, pro or con.
  • gwendolyngwendolyn Member Posts: 46
    I need to replace the ps pump. I found the 'maval lexus ps pump for $221.00. Has anoyone used this pump. Any recommendations...should I stay with the Lexus pump for $528.00?
    There is an Edmunds forum under "Future Vehicles" called "2007 Lexus LS". Some interesting info from a couple of Japanese participants, plus lots of speculation. Check it out.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Feverhart:

Does this 2007 LS spy pic (I don't know for certain here cos I can't read Japanese) get you chumping-at-the-bit ?

oac, "2007 Lexus LS" #20, 4 Jan 2005 3:36 pm
  • yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    OAC,

IMHO, the spy photo depicts a copy job of the current generation of MB S-Class just as the current generation of the LS has some resemblance of the previous generation S-Class.
    I don't know how or where you see an S-class in that sketch. I see none whatsoever. That looks too much like the GS but from everything stated the cars will have greater resemblance to one another in all of their next runs. So we'll see but I'm pretty certain we will get something along the lines of sport/athletic and HP to match. Lexus is definitely going more racy but will not go all the way there with the LS.
    Yeah, just like Ljflx said. I don't see any MB resemblance in that *sketch* whatsoever. Are you looking at the same sketch ??? Cos that sketch is not proof of the new LS style, but is generally in the direction of the LF-S concept, and has nothing to do with MBs... Even Merc1, a die-hard MB fan(atic) would admit no MB copy here.
  • yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    OAC & ljflx,

Are you talking about the news paper sketch or the spy photo in the link provided? I was referring to the spy photo showing a grey Lexus. The front end, especially the headlight treatment is S-Class like.
    I'm almost sorry I took the last test drive. Every day since, someone from the dealership has called.
    They know that I have 4 more months on my BMW lease and that I am not ready to buy/lease at this time.
    Today the guy who took me for the TD called and offered to buy-out the remaining 4 months on my lease. About $2000. Talk about aggressive!
    He said he will e-mail me his lease quote for 3 years, 36,000 miles.
    I assume his generosity will be incorporated into the capitalized cost which he intends to "capital murder" me with.
    End of the quarter sales events usually warrant phone calls but end of the quarter ones sometimes get dynamic. Some of the best deals possible happen in the last 10-15 days of any quarter. So this may be a lot more interesting a set-up for you 3 months from now.
    So what you are saying is I should "go at 'em" aggressively from mid June to the end of June?
    The link OAC provided is what I am referencing. That is completely a sketch of the LFS enhanced somewhat. Nothing S-class related in that sketch, nor is there any MB look in the new GS or IS or the potential HPX if it is built. Slight pull towards BMW in the notchback in that sketch but that's it and it's small potatoes with the major change in Lexus styling dynamics.

The other picture is an existing car - read post 38. That is absolutely NOT the next LS.
    Yeah particularly on the LS. The GS looks to be hot for a while to come. June is bigger than March for cutting deals because they are already looking at model year end inventory set-ups and its halfway thru the calenday year.
    Thank you for that valuable information, LJFLX!
    I will get back in touch with this dealer in mid to late June.
    Then buying out my lease in early July wouldn't cost them anything since I made a one month security deposit and my lease is up at the beginning of August.
    Regards,
    hpowders
    What they will do is write you a separate check from the dealer for a one month payment of your lease. that is seaparate from your Lexus deal. keep completely mum on any security or prepaid one month on the Bimmer.
    Great. Thanks again!
    This link is what Len and I are refering to:

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/3486/06is3009oa.jpg
    All of the Florida retirees just had a collective heart attack!
    "All of the Florida retirees just had a collective heart attack!"

Explain, pls....
    The well-to-do retirees out here are used to a more conservatively-styled car. The current LS fills the bill as evidenced by how many of them I see in my neighborhood which is a typical Florida retirement community. I can't see many of these folks going for that spy-photo design. Can you?
    You know there was a story I read once that said Toyota and Honda attract the oldest and youngest buyers for the same reason. The reason - trust in the car's reliability. I know I feel the same way. It's the only brands I'll buy for my older mother (157K flawless miles on a 1994 and 2001 Camry) and it's the car of choice for my son later (he actually wants the IS). Trust in the car outweighs everything else. Older buyers won't be put-off by sportier styles. Anyway it will be not be as racy as that sketch. But the style will be on that order. But reliability is and always will be the issue of the older buyer.

hpowders - the deal for them to write me a check for one month lease payment is what I did a year ago. Tie it into the deal (otherwise they have to 1099 you technically) but separate it out from the lease. June should be looking good. Tell that sales guy he's 3 months too early and that you expect a great offer in 3 months and he'll put it in his system to re-contact you then. Works every time.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    My personal guess is that the next LS will share alot with the new GS and IS, but will be more conservative than either, and less conservative than the current design.

IMHO all the sketches and photoshops we have seen are just guesses or artists conceptions based on nothing more than what we as outsiders know...basically Lexus' statements about the new design philosophy, plus concepts they have put out for other models, and the new models themselves (GS and IS).
    Thanks, LJFLX. Will do. The salesman got back to me last night and accounting for the $2000 buyout was "only" $210 per month over what I would pay for a 36 month lease.
    Yup. Those sketches always seem to be more radical than the real cars. Some folks were disappointed with the GS because they were hoping the sketches would be closer to the real thing and they weren't.
    I read that the average age of LS buyers is 62.
    I believe for that reason the new LS will still look pretty conservative.
    The well-to-do retirees out here are used to a more conservatively-styled car. The current LS fills the bill as evidenced by how many of them I see in my neighborhood which is a typical Florida retirement community. I can't see many of these folks going for that spy-photo design. Can you?

I think the main issue for your neighbors will be whether the golf clubs will fit in the trunk. It's always the first question we ask. (VBgrin)
    I read that the average age of LS buyers is 62.

Is that just in Florida, or a national average? Gee....I'm feeling older than I am right now. . .
    National average. I also read somewhere that Toyota admits the Avalon is intended for the "mature buyer." A lot of Avalons here.
    Meanwhile, in Tampa, quite a few Tampa Bay Bucs own LS 430's.
    So we can't let the stats. influence us too much.
    Out here we are a golf cart community; so very rarely, do golfers use their trunks for clubs.
    They buy Toyota products for reliability, comfort and conservative styling.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    "I read that the average age of LS buyers is 62.

Is that just in Florida, or a national average? Gee....I'm feeling older than I am right now."

62? Hey, you're feeling older and I'm feeling younger. It's the best of both worlds.
    Here is a link for a story with a table. Don't know if anyone posted this before.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-02-16-seniorcars-usat_x.htm

By the way - NY Times has a special pullout today for the auto show. Interesting interviews with Danny Clements and Tom Purves (BMW USA head). Clements says NO to I-drive. Purves says it can be challenging. Each MFR. is listed with their US sales
    Very apropos to what we were talking about.
    I notice the average age for Lexus buyers is 49. They can thank all those SUV sales for that.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    There has been a lot of discussion in these forums about the location of the XM antenna. I bought a new LS430 today, and asked about installing the XM radio system. The service guy said that they mount the antenna on the left side of the trunk lid, as I have previously seen and discussed. He said that they had mounted the antenna at the center of the forward edge of the trunk lid in several cases, and that the satellite reception was degraded and the navigation system was also adversely affected. (I'm an electrical engineer, and I can maybe understand why the satellite reception might be degraded, but I can't imagine how there could be any effect on the navigation system.) Has anybody else experienced these problems or been told the same thing by their dealer? They told me they'd install the antenna anywhere I said, if I insisted on it. I don't know what to think, except that the side-of-the-trunk-lid mounting is seriously ugly, expecially on a mercury metallic car like I got.
    I had the crystal white (metallic) and now have the Cypress Pearl. They first mounted the xm antenna on the side of the trunk lid like you describe. It was ugly (black) on the white color and the extra wire was wound around the wiring harness that retracts into the top of the trunk. This interfered with the retraction of the wiring harness. I later asked the dealer if they had received any word from Lexus on the positioning of the antenna and the decision was to place it in the middle of the forward edge of the trunk lid. It works just fine and does not interfere with the nav system. When I took delivery of my 2005 Cypress Pears, they transferred the antenna to the middle forward part of the trunk lid and it is still working fine.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    That's good to know. I think I'll go ahead and have the antenna mounted as you describe, even though the service guy swears that it will not work. Amazingly, he said that the antenna has to be placed on the left side of the trunk lid, and that it won't work if placed on the right side! This boggles the mind, from a technical perspective.