Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Options
    stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    I had the same problem - Dealer replaced the CD player under warranty (we didn't know the problem was the CD). About two months later the CD (with a chewed-up label) came in the mail.
  • Options
    edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    Well after 3.5 years in an 01 LS and 1.5 years in an 04, I finally got bored. I just parted with my Flint Mica Ultra and said hello to the new Infiniti M35 AWD with their Premium package. It's a very different kind of car (more like the GS), but they managed to keep most every toy. I was really amazed. You might want to check it out on the Infinity web site. I considered the new GS as I liked the styling, but the M drove better, felt better and had more toys. I have my fingers crossed it will also be as reliable as the Lexus.
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    IMHO.....you WILL be back..............Been there, done that.........
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Infiniti reliability always lagged Lexus but is strong nonetheless. It has fallen back a bit but it is not something I'd worry too much about. But that is a totally different car and experience than an LS. I'd have taken the GS 430 as my top choice in that segment as I drove it and found it an awesome car - both stylistically and as a great driving car with a lot of luxury and plenty of toys. In my opinion Lexus is simply the best built cars when you are dealing with that and the high end LS segment as well as the SUV's. But the M is getting rave reviews and is a real looker too. I'd give you about 18-24 months in that car and then the 2007 LS will be irrestible. That car is going to be red hot. The line forms at thr right and unfortunately it's going to be a long one. I hope the smoke clears by April 2007 when I'm due back.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Infiniti has always been preferable to the Lexus in design and looks, IMO. But as reliable - they are not, at least, mine wasn't. Kind of like the Chrysler of Japan....
  • Options
    edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I do agree that a redone LS could easily bring me back. But I'm looking forward to a 18-24 months in something different.
  • Options
    famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    I'm guessing the M35 has more road feel in the ride. I know what you mean about being "bored" --- no regular repairs so no schmoozing with the service dept. on a regular basis, no wondering "what will the next repair be in 6 months?" , . . . and the LS ride is too soft for my taste unless I am in the passenger seat. Our Avalon bored us to tears but over time I was impressed with the reliability issue and that is why we bought the LS --- another Toyota product.

The M35 has caught my attention, too, and my Infinity-owning friends never complain about reliability, so enjoy the new car!!! They are good cars, and you may have found The Perfect One. :shades:
  • Options
    pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    The '06 LS will likely be out this Fall (Oct); however, don't expect any changes to the '05 other than perhaps a paint color or two. The '07 LS is expected to be totally new, so Lexus has no incentive to make any significant changes to the '06 over the '05. The one good thing is that once we see pix of the '07, if you don't like it, then you could probably get a pretty good deal on the "old" '06.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    From what I've seen, it's gorgeous.....
  • Options
    craignhpcraignhp Member Posts: 14
    As far as having blank one touch buttons, I'm having the same issue on my 05 LS. Can you tell me how to get names on the one-touch numbers? I'm not seeing any text entry available and my Verizon phone won't transfer my phone book, nor am I able to manually enter a phone book. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks.
  • Options
    sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    If your Verizon phone has an option to send a "businees card" you should be able to transfer an name and number together from the phonebook in the phone to the phonebook in the car. Once in the car phonebook, you can put that number and name on a one-touch button. Another solution is to transfer your phone's phonebook to a pda and send from the pda to the car--I have heard that several of the dealerships will arrange to have that done for you. What brand and model phone are you using and what city are you in? Maybe some of us know the best solution in your situation.
  • Options
    mcescher1mcescher1 Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2003 Avalon, which is quiet and wonderful, and need a second car. How do you feel about a comparison between the Avalon and the LS430, aside from fancy features like intelligent cruise control?
  • Options
    rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I think you have to drive the LS430 and then see if you still prefer the Avalon. As you know, the Avalon is a FWD vs the LS which is a RWD. I test drove the Avalon and had really pretty well decided to order one, then I went down to the Lexus dealer to see what they had that compared to the Avalon. It so happens that they were all out of the ES330 at the end of the year and only had the GS or the LS to test. I drove the LS430 and never went back to the Toyota dealer. Granted the LS was a more expensive car but I considered it a clear winner. For $35K I still like the Avalon and would buy it over a Buick.
  • Options
    Is it feasible to buy the basic LS 430 and then to install an after-market navigation system? Are these systems good? Are there any particular ones that are better than others, or perhaps better than the system that Lexus uses in the LS 430? My thought is that in any event I would take out the factory sound system and install a better one so there would be no reason to buy the modern luxury package if I can find a good after-market navigation system, especially since I am not interested in the other features in this package such as smart access, backup camera, and parking assist.
  • Options
    Thanks rgsw. I am curious to know what you like about the LS in contrast to the Avalon, aside from what I am terming fancy features like parking assist, backup camera, etc., which frankly are not of interest to me. For instance, is it more quiet or is the ride more comfortable? Other things that you like about it?
  • Options
    Aside from high level reliabilty and a real nice ride there is no comparison to be discussed here. My cousin has an Avalon and the differences are too numerous to even mention. It starts with V8 power, high end torque, greater lux ride by far, ultra quiet interior, far greater stereo in the base Pioneer radio which itself is blown away by the ML, far superior leather, nav system and interior amenities and the list just goes on and on and on. This is the car Toyota puts its development money into which eventually trickles down to cars like the Avalon and Camry. The cars also have far different demographic buyer profiles and that leads to different and far superior servicing on the LS as well. You are just dealing with a different class of car altogether here, starting with the engine and ending with the bells and whistles of things like pre-safe and laser cruise. Enough said.
  • Options
    I will agree with the comments made ljflx. I don't go for the laser cruise. I find myself backing into lots of parking spaces now that the side view mirrors automatically tilt down and the TV shows where you are in relation to the curb. Lots of nice things to enjoy. I don't know of any aftermarket nav system that would work with the LS430. I have a Bluetooth phone and XM radio, all of which come through the nav screen. I'd recommend just buying the LS430 Mod Lux and enjoy, don't try to mess it up.
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    If I were buying a new vehicle I would go with an integrated factory nav.

But there are decent aftermarket ones available, I have been looking into it for my 2000 LX and to me the Vcommand Vcom and Garmin 2610/2620/2650 look interesting. Street prices are in the $800 area. Just do a google on something like "vcom gps review" or "vcom navigation review" and see what you turn up. The vcom system is very interesting because it doesn't have a screen...it's voice recognition/interface is SO good that you don't need one! As long as it works, and from the reviews it seems to, you don't have the distraction/safety issue posed by interacting with a screen. Also, the portable version doesn't require professional install and can be easily moved from vehicle to vehicle.
  • Options
    famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    "I have a 2003 Avalon, which is quiet and wonderful, and need a second car. How do you feel about a comparison between the Avalon and the LS430, aside from fancy features like intelligent cruise control?"

Best advice I can give is go test drive the LS and see for yourself. You may have to test drive it more than once. Lexus sales people are very nice, and low pressure. Then decide if the $20+ price difference is worth it to you.

We had a '98 Avalon that could be compared to the Engergizer Bunny, or the old Timex watch commercials. No repairs, etc. until the 90K timing belts & water pump replacement. Our son is now driving it with 110+k miles on it. We loved that car, including the exterior body styling.

The LS is quieter inside, but the newer '06 Avalon has a lot of the same bells & whistles. Tire size is a big issue to look at. Right now on the LS/Lexus website, they're only showing 18" wheels. I must have bought one of the last '05 LS with 17" wheels. No Way (!) will I have 18" wheels.

You can search these forums here for all the past discussions on that topic. If the Avalon has 17" wheels, you'll save a ton of money in tires, IMHO, and the ride will be better.

Right now the LS trunk is bigger, while the '06 Avalon trunk is smaller than our '98 Avalon trunk was.

What I do not like about the LS is the extremely "soft" couchmobile ride. I prefer more road "feel" but that is a personal preference thing. The '05 LS have a newer type suspension. However (contradiction alert! - LOL) I do love to be the passenger in the our LS on long trips. There is absolutely no road weariness from vibration. You know what I mean...

So why am I in an LS? Well, I was holding out for the '06 Avalon but "Life" got in the way and I *had* to have a car back in December, and my better half was lobbying for the LS. And so it goes . . .
  • Options
    Right now, Verizon wireless only uses one model of bluetooth phone, the Motorola V710. It connects, dials, receives, rings, etc. just fine. I just can't tranfer it's phone book to the car system. Verizon has disabled any way to transfer data via bluetooth. They're afraid that people will share photos, files, etc. that way instead of using Verizon's own system. I CAN pull the phone out, scroll through it's phone book and initiate the call that way. It's just clunky and inconvenient. If anyone is using a bluetooth PDA to maintain a phone book and is able to transfer it to the LS, I'd love to know which model. That would be a good reason to update my Palm to a bluetooth model.
  • Options
    sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    Your Verizon dealer might make the transfer for you--they did for a friend in Nashville--transferred the phonebook to a Palm with bluetooth--from the palm to the car phonebook. Also, if you can get your phonebook to a Sony phone with bluetooth (model T637 or S710), it will allow a very easy transfer of the whole phonebook to the car. Once you have the phonebook stored in the car, any phone which is paired with the car will work from the car phonebook. Your Lexus dealer may have someone who you can pay to make the transfer for you, if not switch to Cingular and get a phone that works better with the car.
  • Options
    My experience with the Motorola Verizon V710 is that it does not ring in the car in my pocket or on the LS430 audio system, it silences the radio/cd and shows incoming call info on the nav/audio screen. If you have the radio off, you might miss a call.
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    rgsw, an ingenious service assistant suggested to me that I set my phone to Ring & Vibrate and keep it in my pocket where I can feel it. Then even though it doesn't ring in the car, I can feel when there is an incoming call, and answer it on the nav screen. Works fairly well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip, I had not really thot of vibrate and ring...
  • Options
    murph6murph6 Member Posts: 3
    I wondered if you might share the rest of your LS' winter experience with me. I am considering the '05 or '06 LS 430 but am a bit concerned about the rear wheel drive as I live in Connecticut and we can and do get snow in the winter.
    Are you satisfied that with good snow tires, the LS 430 is a reasonable car for New England?
    Thanks
    JM
  • Options
    Have you tried the "Search" at the top of the page yet? Type in "Snow Tires" and enter. I got about three pages of previous posts with snow tires in the text. Hope this helps. I don't use snow tires in Albuquerque NM.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Because there are a lot of search features all over this page, let me clarify rgsw's very appropriate suggestion. Try the "Search This Discussion" feature first. You'll find that one just over the first post on this page and also just below the last one.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I would sooner trust a RWD vehicle on a wintertime adverse condition roadbed than ANY FWD or even an AWD that has front torque bias. Remember that when you lose traction at the rear due to applying too much throttle, hitting a patch of black ice, or front inadverant, instinctive, lifting of the throttle and having the "driven" tires lose traction due to engine compression braking, you still have the entire traction coefficient of the front tires' contact patch to maintain directional control with.

Lose traction on the "driven" tires of a FWD car and ALL control is GONE!

But yes, due to the weight bias of front engine FWD they do have more get up and go ability on an adverse roadbed than most RWD cars.

But keep the old adage in mind:

More traction, say a 4X4 or AWD, just gets you deeper into the woods before you get stuck. And even throwing 4X4 "tractive" capability into the equation will not help when it comes to the need to stop or slow quickly. Even with only a minor level of engine torque (4runner??) to the front directional control will be compromised over a simple RWD.

In any case I would NEVER drive a FWD vehicle in wintertime conditions absent ABS and TRAC. But while TRAC can dethrottle the engine if cicumstances warrant, driven wheel slip or spin, it cannot moderate the level of engine compression braking if conditions are such that this will have an adverse affect.

The AAA is currently recommending practising quickly shifting a FWD car w/auto into neutral in case you find yourself in one of the above circumstances.
  • Options
    If you get your Motorola V710's firmware updated to 1.4 at your Verizon store, it will ring in the car when you get an incoming call. I had version 1.38 before the update. That's the only difference I've seen. Still no phonebook transfer.
  • Options
    acurapassion97acurapassion97 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I was just wanting to know of any owners of the 1st generation LS400 have been having this same problem and if its normal. Whenever I'm stopped and the engine is just idling, the engine seems to pulsate, it can be felt throughout the entire cabin, its really faint and gentle though. I've seen some older, like 80s Toyota models develop this and then it gets worse to the point the car is practically bouncing around like it has hydrolics when at a stop. I was just wondering what could be the cause of it, is it just the fact that its a big V8 engine with 198k miles on it....or is it something that needs to be fixed? Also, it seems a little more prominant when idling in park or neutral. Any ideas please? I really want to know so I don't worry that the car is about to die, I want it to last at least another 60k miles. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I know mine has a slight lag in throttle like my Honda 4 cylinders did when they needed new ingition stuff. I have to get it in the shop soon.
  • Options
    acurapassion97acurapassion97 Member Posts: 10
    Ignition stuff....like what? How expensive was that? Thats seriously uncool....because if I'm not mistaken, any problems concerning the ignition are pretty serious. Well anybody else know what it is? I've actually been told from another LS owner that all LS's do that.....I don't believe it though, I've never noticed it in any other one.
  • Options
    michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Anyone know if it can be added and at what cost.
  • Options
    Michael,

The Motorola V710 has a speaker phone that is so good you don't even need blue tooth. You just click it on with a button on the left of the phone. People tell me they hear me better on that speaker phone then when I am holding the phone to my ear. If I put it in the cupholder or on the opposite seat I have conversations completely wireless with no need for headphones and, as well all the voice activations work perfectly. There is also a separarte bluetooth speaker for about $75 that you can buy. It replicates the complete functionality of the V710 and charges with the same device connection. I bought one for my GX470 but half the time I forget to turn it on and just use the speaker phone embedded in the V710. The drawback to the separate speaker phone is that it won't work if it is turned on before the V710 and it only shuts off after the V710 is shut off for 5 minutes. The positive is that it clips right onto your overhead visor making the sound quality even more crisp and close to you.

Here's a link to that bluetooth speaker on Verizon's site. It's $99 but a search on Froogle or yahoo shopping will have it for $70-75. But in all honesty that V710 speakerphone is good enough as is

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=accessoryMart&action=viewBluetoot- - - hAccessories&model=Capable%20Devices&make=Bluetooth@reg;
  • Options
    ijflx

Thanks for the info...I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    helmarhelmar Member Posts: 15
    I'm on my second LS, the first being a '99 LS400 and now an '03 LS430.

I've been looking at an Avalon too when I replace my LS430.

The features I REALLY want, though, I can't get with any of these vehicles.

1. Manual transmission (Not fake manual, one with a clutch).
    2. Cloth seats.

A BMW 5 series would resolve the 1st want, but they all seem to want to put leather in the cars.

The other feature I would want to keep is the Laser Cruise control. I use it all the time, although I sure wish they'd switch from laser to radar.

HBH
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Well, I don't think you'll ever see cloth or a true manual as options on U.S. LS cars. Maybe you could buy a 5 and get an aftermarket shop to redo the seats in cloth. Just ask local dealers for referals to shops that will do aftermarket seat work. Ages ago when I was shopping for a Camry, the XLE trim was hard to get and the LE model didn't have optional leather, but the dealer had a demo LE with leather...it had been installed aftermarket.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    My '05 LS430 has "radar" cruise control. At least, that's what the dashboard display says. I used it for the first time last weekend. I always thought that it was something that nobody really needed, but after using it I'm hooked. It's great for interstate highway driving.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A couple of years ago folks in the 3-Series sedans discussion (the "2004 and earlier" one, obviously) were talking about how to order one with cloth. It could be done then on that vehicle, but I don't know if it could be done on a 5-Series at that time.

You might want to check into that discussion. The Search This Discussion feature (just above the first post and just below the last post on the page) should help you find that conversation. If you can get the details you could then ask whether they apply to the 5er today.
  • Options
    sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi JM,
    Based on my experiences I recommend the LS without hesitation. The one qualifier to my statement would be to get a dedicated set of Winter Tires and Wheels. I'd go for the Bridgestone Blizzaks for the best traction. You might find the performance characteristics of these tires disappointing at high speeds however.
    I agree with wwest in the sense that I find the AWD factor completely overblown. It's the work of some marketing genius no doubt. I drive my 1992 LS without snow tires and live in a hilly section of Boston. No troubles until I try to get up my very steep driveway. What do people think? No one drove in bad weather before AWD and FWD were invented? If RWD was so bad, then why are every taxi and police car I see Crown Victorias? Unless you plan on driving through several inches of snow, like they show in the commercials, I see little point of having AWD. In my 35+ yrs of driving I have yet to be stranded by a RWD car.

Another comment on the vibration problem a poster was having with the '92. Have you considered the Engine mounts? When my LS got hit, it had the same exact symptoms. Once they were replaced, the car went back to its' silent ways. Mine just crossed 95K. What a car, is all I can say.

SV
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Police departments equipped with FWD vehicles aren't allowed to participate in high speed chases!
  • Options
    helmarhelmar Member Posts: 15
    My '03 says "Radar" on the dash as well, but to my knowledge they're all laser.

The problem with laser is that it usually stops working in inclement weather, such as moderate rain.

Also, the laser tends to get fooled as you pass large trucks, or follow trucks that are black.

HBH
  • Options
    My car came with a manual titled "Lexus Dynamic Radar/Laser Cruise Control," which describes the physical differences between the two types. I checked out my car, and, sure enough, it's laser.
  • Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    As far as I know, they introduced the Radar system in the 2004 model, and then only in the Ultra Lux option (plus possibly one or two similar options, like Modern Lux). With the Radar cruise control you also get the pre-collision seat belt pre-tensioners. Doesn't prevent the collision but maximizes the benefit from the seat belts.
  • Options
    Can you tell us the differences Laser and Radar...I have been unable to find a listing of them....

I have an 01 LS430 Ultra...And had a rock distroy my Laser cruse...Since it has been replaced it reads Radar Cruse...I am not sure that it is but Would Be interested in having a was to figure it out.
  • Options
    It's easy to tell which type your car has. The sensor for the radar cruise is in the logo in the center of the grille. The sensor for laser cruise is in an opening in the bumper on the right side.
  • Options
    I am test driving an '05 Ultra Luxury in 85 degree weather. With the AC on, I get constant condensation on the outside of the front windshield. Is this normal? Is there any way to avoid it (other than using the windshield wipers to remove it)?
  • Options
    I am test driving an '05 Ultra Luxury and cannot tolerate the ML sound system; by way of introduction, I have tube amps and Quad speakers at home. Has anyone tried to replace the amps and/or speakers, or even the head units?
  • Options
    I have an 01 Ultra and have never had that problem. My guess is that you need to adjust the climate control settings...I always just uses Auto and set the Temp I want....I have never had the problem you discribe...It could also be a malfunction...Rare for these cars but you never know...I would call the dealer...You are under warrenty...Pretty much everything is covered.
  • Options
    mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    michael :
    bluetooth service in lexus automobiles is a function of the navigation system
    this system appeared in 2004 .
    the system built by fujitsu is not interchangeable on earlier models .
    item : the bluetooth maiden appearance on the sc430 , is 2005 .

mitchell rowe