Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Options
    rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    The name of the Lexus dealership that runs the website http://lexus-parts.com/ is Sewell Lexus, in Dallas, TX. Their email address is info@lexus-parts.com .
  • Options
    Michael, have you updated to the 2005 version already? I understood it won't be available till January.
  • Options
    famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    I got the same solicitation in the mail this past weekend. It is now sitting in the pile for the "recycled paper" bin. Everybody's getting into the credit card business because there's big bucks to be earned in those finance charges. :P

When the solicitations continue to come in, I call that 1-800 number on the 'application' and ask them to remove me from their list.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I have one. It's a nice looking card. And rewards are nice. Since I pay my balance off every month, there's no extra money out of my pocket for having one. Just another credit card as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Got my call tonight, about my service last Friday, to see if they should send me a survey to complete or not, so as not to pollute their stellar C/S ratings.... Based upon my answers, they'll not be sending me a survey to complete. Isn't that swell.
    I've heard a lot about Lexus dealer service. Too bad my dealer here doesn't play in that sandbox.
  • Options
    jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    That doesn't seem like a good deal. I also dropped my United cards and am sitting with 600K miles. I got a Chase Ultimate Cash Reward card which is free and gives 1.5% cash back without a limit which is unusual. I couldn't get Lexus to let me put the whole LS430 on the card but I did buy an $80K laser and got my $1200 cash back!
  • Options
    To Pat HOST: Recently the upper left panel of available menu items has been twice as wide as previously, making the space available for the messages very narrow. Is this something that Edmunds has changed, or did I inadvertently change some View option? If the latter, can you guess what I might have done wrong?

Thanks -- Renny
  • Options
    garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    What I am experiencing is the line showing the rating line for the LS 430 is appearing under "HELPFUL LINKS" in the left column, and is stretching the whole column about 3 inches. Then the right column is overlapping the messages in the middle. So it's not unique to you Renny. Pat, HELP!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Gary's right about the cause - it's fixed now. If you see anymore, drop me an email (I'll see that sooner than a post, usually).
  • Options
    agent0986agent0986 Member Posts: 64
    I purchased an LS430 back in 2001 and am finally replacing it.
    So what's the fastest you've ever gone in your LS? A couple of nights ago I decided to push it to the limiter before giving it in and i must say wow. It reached 131mph very quickly and was as stable and solid as anything can be at that speed. The engine seemed like it wanted more...too bad for the limiter :(

and for those people who don't believe me, i managed to take a photo, enjoy:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/agent09862002/detail?.dir=/be5b&.dnm=cf19.jpg&.src=ph">link title
  • Options
    scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    No wonder your running on empty. ;)
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    You were stationary right...Yeah that's it. I put "T" rated Michelins on my 1994 LS just so I wouldn't do stuff like that. I heard they would do 150 or so and I'm the type to try it out. Now I can just scoot to 110 or so.
  • Options
    Tippin' my hat to ya, agent - Did ya run out of gas??? Actually, that looks more like 133 to me.....
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I hope someone else took that picture. Seems like you were in a hurry to get to a gas station. On a more serious note - what car are you replacing it with?
  • Options
    i was pretty careful about it...it was on a highway around 12am on Long island...once i went through to scope it out for any cops, then came back around to do the run. I'm finally replacing the car and after 4 years I just had to try it. I was very impressed too, it reached the limiter so quickly!

The ride was excellent, very smooth and quiet- i have the sport suspension and handling was incredible as well. Too bad for the limiter, because i could def feel the engine had more power to give. Let's just say this car can def hold its own on the Autobahn.

btw-This was done on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, i prob would never recommend on stock tires, which also explains why the speedometer was off by a few mph.

oh and about the gas- I was trying to run as light as possible-I thought i had enough but the light came on during the actual run itself...I filled it up right after...60 dollars :mad:

As to replacement- New LS is too far away,
    so any suggestions? I've been looking at 550i, GS430, E500 (decided to go a bit smaller) but for some reason, I still keep going back to the '01 LS. Nothing seems quite like it.
    Maybe wait till 2007?
  • Options
    Oh and btw, one hand on the wheel, one holding the camera... :surprise:

Never again...
  • Options
    Frankly - I was looking for an S-500 when I bought the LS-430. So, if I were going to replace the LS with something else - the S-class would be my only temptor - but they cost more to buy and lots more to keep running.....
  • Options
    You're going to want that 2007 as soon as you see it and you're going to be sorry you took anything else if you are locked in. Take a short-term 2 year lease or stay patient is my advice.
  • Options
    mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    ljflx--Have you seen or read something authoratative about the 07 LS? I've been searching for info on this but haven't come up with anything yet. Toyota/Lexus does a pretty good job of keeping the wraps on this type of info until shortly before model year release time.
  • Options
    I've been doing some research and i've gathered that the new 2007 model should be available Fall 2006? Can anyone confirm this? If that is the case I may just wait. I typically don't lease and keep a car for 4-5 years. If the above info is correct another year will be no problem.
  • Options
    Have both you and mmm1 been checking the 2007 LS board? We've been speculating and trying to figure out the car over there for weeks. The styling looks like top of the class for it's market and there will be different engine choices including hybrid as well as an AWD option and a LWB option. Lexus has claimed that this car will again heve the impact and revolutionary effect on its segment like it did in 1989. That's enough to know that some real interesting stuff will be available or standard on the car. Someone had said their dealer indicated a possible spring 2007 debut, and I had heard that also a while back, but I'd expect a September 2006 start date and a car that will be hotter than hot.
  • Options
    Correction on that last post - should have said Spring 2006 not spring 2007.
  • Options
    rockyballrockyball Member Posts: 22
    Worked great on my 2001 RX 300 and 2002 LS 430. Tried to do this on a friends 2005 4 Runner-menu screen takes you to scrren with DVD, but the DVD screen shows map area on lower right hand side so when you do TL, BL, TL, BL then BR you actually are touching the map area so doesn't work-any ideas on the secret code for this Toyota?
  • Options
    Has anyone have a strong feeling about the ones with the best ice/snow traction? I had Blizzaks on my 1990 LS and tried to run my first winter last year with the all seasons just because they were brand new. I slid off a road at low speed and hit a tree. Cost a $1000 to replace and repaint the bumper and one sensor so i figured that I would be better off spending the $1000 this year pro-actively on snows. I used to change the tires eaxh season but I got a good deal on take-off OEM wheels so I bought a second set. Now I just need to put on some tires and have considered Michelin Pilot Alpin. Michelin X-ice, Dunlop Graspic and Bridgestone Blizzaks. The X-ice tires are the least expensive. Would love to hear the groups thoughts.
  • Options
    aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I think if you search back a year ago here you'll see a fair amount of discussion, or maybe it was on another board about LS430's. I've also got an '04 and went with Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tire last year from Tire Rack. Had several fairly heavy snowfalls and both city and highway use and all went well.

Took a trip over to Michigan from my Illinois home and the only vehicle to pass me with better traction was an Audi Allroad Quattro with Bridgestone snow tires, if my memory is accurate, as we made our way through a 7" snowfall and ice storm. I think there are many good choices, its more about personal preference.
  • Options
    jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    I have M3 snows on my LS430. I have had the same good experience. For the added grip on ice and snow, the winter tire applications are far superior to the OEM tires. In fact, winter tires rival AWD in my opinion.
  • Options
    Maybe some of you will know - my LS430 has a lot of whine at all speeds, that could well be tire noise - or something more distressing than that. The tires on it are some wierd brand, new, and extremely well balanced. Even at 100 mph (hypothetically, of course), there is 0 vibration, but something sure whines when it's in motion, and nothing seems to vary it much, except the road.

Opinions, please? :confuse:
  • Options
    rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Current issue of "Automobile" magazine has an article on snow tires and compares various major brands.
  • Options
    mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    It works great on my 2005 LS and I would have thought that the screen on the 2005 4Runner would be the same. On the LS the procedure that works for me is Menu, Volume, TL, BL, TL, BL, (NO BR), Overide, Back. Works great. dadcat is the expert on this one so maybe he can help. LOL.
  • Options
    I have a 2001 Ls430 and am thinking of purchasing rear clear tail lights (sort of like the '04 Models and above) to replace the yellow ones- There are plenty on ebay for 01-03 models. In my opinion the clear looks a lot better than the yellow.
    My only concern is installation- Has anyone done this before? If yes is it easy and can someone please give me instructions on how to do it? any help would be appreciated.
    thank you.
  • Options
    rockyballrockyball Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the reply-she tried it on her 2005 4 Runner and it works just like you described!
  • Options
    dadcatdadcat Member Posts: 29
    Glad you were able get the NAV to work with mmm1's help, while I was away on vacation with only limited Internet access. As you discovered, a gen4 NAV system requires a slightly different procedure, which is applicable on 2005/2006 Toyota/Lexus products.

Regarding the NAV/Phone, I read today that a Bluetooth phone can be dialed while moving via the NAV screen by simply cutting a wire behind the screen. I have not tried this yet, but others have done this 20 minute procedure successfully.
  • Options
    Where did you read this and can you post more information? Anyone on the forum try this?
  • Options
    If you do a search for "zube dial phone nav screen" you should find a reference to the original poster named zube. He has done this mod to several different Lexus vehicles.
  • Options
    ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    I recently bought a 2001 LS 430 and the voice command feature of the Nav does not work. Unfortunately, the car is out of warranty. Anyone have this problem? The nav system otherwise works great.
  • Options
    I've had no problems with the system or voice commands for 4 years now, although the system does tend to confuse "yes" with "gas" quite a lot. Just to make sure, you are pressing the speak command button behind the steering wheel on the left before speaking the commands right? The green speak icon appears on the screen.
  • Options
    ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    Yes. I am pressing the command button, the green guy shows up, but when I speak the command it says: "system did not understand this command, please try again". I many of the commands listed in the manual, so I'm not sure what's up.
  • Options
    ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    I have a 2001 ls430 with under 30k and are in need of some tires. I am looking for all season tires as i am not interested in buying a 2nd set or going to a bigger rim size as this is a 3rd car. has anyone had any luck with tiress at costco?
  • Options
    I believe Costco sells a lot of major brands, including Michelin, me personal favorite.
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Yes costco is a great place to buy tires. They can special order almost anything. The deal includes installation, free rotations for the life of the tires, and free flat fixing. The prices are definitely better than buying from Tirerack, lugging the tires somewhere for install, and then paying for installation...plus you get the free extras.
  • Options
    Any suggestions on specifics?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Bridgestone Turanzas, summer, for quiet and comfort.
  • Options
    I was told by some expert at Tirerack that the Turanza ER33 summer tires are not as good as the Turanza LS-V All-Season tires. My top criterion was quietness.
  • Options
    sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Not from me, I own an RX and LX and don't have an LS yet.
  • Options
    If you can bring yourself to believe an all-season tire will be quieter and more comfortable riding than an equivalent summer tire then go for it.
  • Options
    I just bought Dunlop snow tires for my '04 LS and they are working much better than the all season OEM tires in our first Chicago snow. I had Blizzaks on my '90 LS and I thought those worked well too. Last time around I switched the snows on and off a single set of rims. This time I bought another set of 17" OEM take-offs on ebay for under $400 and will now avoid all the re-mounting.
  • Options
    Pebble hit my windshield and the next morning the crack extended across my windshield. After market glass was quoted as $295 installed and Lexus glass was over $1000. Amazing there is so great a difference. I considered paying the $500 deductible on OEM glass but I was more concerned about the insurance claim than the extra $205. Lexus service of course recommended OEM glass but I would hate to pay the extra money and make an insurance claim when the next pebble takes out this windshield. I'll let the board know if I can tell a difference. One last thing. Anyone notice that their rain sensing windshield wipers are erratic and run too fast with little or no rain? I'm bringing the car in tomorrow for them to check this so that they can't say the rain sensor was damaged after the windshield replacement.
  • Options
    I am on Long island so would i be better off with the Turanzas or an all season tire. I am afraid i would be compromising the ride with snow tires all year round
  • Options
    CR tested all season tires in the 11/05 issue. They rated the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread #1 and the Michelin X Radial (only warehouse club available) #2. Both were highly rated for low noise. The Bridgestone Turanza LS-T was average in noise performance.
    Winter tires were also tested with the Michelin X-Ice and Viking SnowTech rating #1 and #2. Winter tires are not designed for susstained high speeds usually having Q (85mph) speed ratings and will have rapid tread wear in the summer due to the soft ice gripping rubber compounding. Therefore, there is the need to remove the tires after the winter. In the tri-state area, winter tires with a LS are a must to get through the winter safely.
  • Options
    Okay, here's the way I consider the issue of winter tires or not.

I live on the eastside of Seattle where the "normal" wintertime roadbed conditions are either wet (mostly) or dry. We rarely get snow and the temperature hardly ever gets below freezing and almost never remains there during the day. So I treat the need for extraordinary traction as an exception. For those exceptions I use snowchains.

We do oftentimes travel over the mountain passes during the wintertime to visit relatives or go snow skiing but mostly we use the AWD Ford Aerostar 30/70, 50/50 with rear wheel slippage) rear chains on board, for those trips.

Throughout the winter months I watch others, supposedly more conservative than I, travelling around on all season or winter tires, even studded tires, which all clearly have lower traction with the "normal" roadbed the majority of the time. I choose to not put my life and my passengers lives at risk in that manner.

I have no doubt that were I still living in north central MT winter tires would go on my vehicle at the first hint of wintertime roadbed conditions.

And for those of you who continue to believe FWD or front biased AWD is a safe drive method I suggest you read up on a few of the technical (Mazda.com, Lexus.com,etc.) details of why many of the manufacturers of those vehicles are expending lots of engineering hours trying to figure out how to provide wintertime safety for these vehicles. The collective answer seems to be to use FWD traction when it is sure to be available but at the very first hint of low traction IMMEDIATELY get the engine torque out of the directional control equation.

That very likely means that in the near future FWD or front biased AWD will only be available at the low end of the market price wise.