Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I have been on vacation and out of town. My only experience with demos has been on this car and it has been great. This car was so well taken care of that it was like new. Of course, it was the dealer's wifes car, so maybe that was a factor (or maybe it was just BS). The car listed new right at 70k---LS430 Ultra and had several of the add-ons (teflon,clearbra,etc.) and I paid 52k with a little less than 15k miles. Good deal , but not great , but we wanted the exact color/interior combo that they stopped making. So, you be the judge!
  • cneumancneuman Member Posts: 55
    Thanks nvbanker and todd2004.

cn
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I was going to reply to your previous message about the noise but got caught up at work and forgot.

I had the SAME problem. One day I'm siting in my ultra-hushed ride but this time I hear a constant low-level whirring-humming sound. It drove me crazy until I noticed the seat AC was on.

One little twist of the knob and back to hushed silence. I never use the seat a/c -- I must've turned it on one time while playing around with the controls and never noticed it was left on. The sound of the seat a/c can only be heard in my car if the radio's off, the a/c's on low and you're cruising down a highway.

I'm glad you found the source of the noise.
  • craignhpcraignhp Member Posts: 14
    It's a bad fan motor for sure. The passenger seat's fan motor can be heard, but it sounds like a fan. The driver's seat fan had that obnoxious tone. Might as well have them replace it even if you don't use the fan. I would assume it would have the same tone with the heat on?
  • geraldcgeraldc Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to de-activate the antitheft system on a ls 400.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    By request: Lexus LS: Buy a 2006 or 2007? Come share your thoughts!
  • afiber2afiber2 Member Posts: 8
    You say that there is a buffer built into the systems that will keep the radio from losing programing. If you lose the signal for any period of time you will lose programing unless the signal is being sent twice - seconds apart. I don't see of any way to save 4 seconds of signal if you don't receive it. As you say the external antenna is much better than an internal one and probably keeps the signal under short underpasses.
  • dansa2dansa2 Member Posts: 28
    Is the pitch on recline of rear seats a signifcant difference from standard pitch? Does message feature interfear with comfort/cushion of back part of rear seat?
    2001-2003
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    The reclined seat back position is noticeably different from the normal position, but if the front seat is too far back then there will be very little leg room. The massage feature is always a big hit with rear-seat passengers, and as far as I can tell it has no effect on comfort when it's turned off. (Based on both my 01 and my 04.)
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    The few times my wife let me drive her 2006 LS430 , she likes to seat in the rear seats.
    She the loves the rear shades , side shades and of course the massage seats.
    The driving position is excellent. Yes, we have the Ultra Package. We love the XM Radio.
  • tennesseelexustennesseelexus Member Posts: 3
    First time on this board....it's great! I have a '96 LS 400 (175k miles) and I am looking to buy a 2003 LS 430 with Nav (white with tan leather). Anyone have any thoughts....PRO, CON on this car? What history have you had with this vehicle? I am looking at 30-40k miles. I have heard people use "pearl white" and "crystal white" for an exterior color......is there a difference or is it the same color?

Thanks
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Why not look for a 2004 with the slight rear changes and increased gears (6-speed AT) ? Make sure that the "tranny issue" has been fixed/addressed tho'... Since we have an '07 due out in 3 months, and the '06s are slow moving, I am sure you can get an '04 for a good price.

Pros and Cons... Mostly good but does have some faults... Its a car, so its not perfect, but is as good or better than its peers...

Good luck
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I agree with the post, "suggest you look for a 2004". The 2004, 05, and 06 were nearly the same product. The early production 2004s had a recall and replacement for the transmission and fuel pump. As for "White", the Lexus white never had the "pearlesence" like some GMC products. I thot the white was more of a metalic white and very good looking. I thot I preferred white, then I got to looking at all the government and commercial vehicles here in NM, they were all white. I now have the green "cypress pearl" and like it very much. Good luck in your search.
    Unfortunately, I only have $36K by Mrs TennesseeLexus and I can get a reasonable 2003 LS430 with nav at that price. The 2004 would cost at least $5k more.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I had an 03 - it was just about perfect. I had only 2 repairs - the Lexus Link had repeated faults that they could fix for a while, then it would start faulting again. And the telescoping steering wheel got squeaky after a while, the Universal Joint knuckle was replaced. It was a great car, can't think of any reason you shouldn't love it. :P
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    I know the subject of rain sensing windshield wipers has been discussed on this and other Lexus forums before but I would like an update from others on their experience with this device. I recently rode in a friends Mercedes and it had rain sensing wipers. I couldn't believe how much better they were than the ones in my 03 LS and my 05 RX 330. They really worked as advertised--a little rain, a little wiper action--a lot of rain a lot of wiper action and they were consistent. Quite the opposite of my Lexus rain sensing system on both cars. Sometimes the slightest mist will make the wipers work very rapidly and other times a downpour will cause them the work slowly and intermittantly. This is one of the few Lexus features that I have found to be worthless and very poorly designed. I am wondering if any of you have experienced this problem with the infra red sensor and, if so, have you been able to convince the dealership to replace the sensor with a new one that works properly? Perhaps it is such a poorly designed system that Lexus simply has no sensors that work properly.
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    I have owned an E320, LS430, and an RX330 with rain-sensing wipers. I actually like the Lexus system more. Both systems have a similar sensor and adjustment for sensitivity.I would not be surprized if they used a common OEM supplier. The MB system has one irritating trait--if the system is left on, the wipers will always make a single sweep across the windshield every time the car is started. Many Lexus owners leave the system on--and never realize it.

Both systems will make rapid sweeps in misty/foggy conditions. I have found both systems work best with a clean windshield and when the glass has been treated with Rain-X. The shape of the vehicle also effects the air and water flow across the windshield. My best performer was the current Chrysler minivan, followed in descending order by the RX330, LS430, and the E320.

Try the Rain-X, use it often, lower the sensitivity, and enjoy a great system.
    A new discussion has been created to talk about the XM and Sirius options. Some recent posts have been moved there.

If you haven't already, be sure to go to the main LS group and click on Track this Discussion (on the right just over the discussion list) so you won't miss any other new LS discussions!
    I have had no trouble with mine, they seem to work about right. Not perfect, but pretty good. Seeing how there is only one small target at the top of the windshield that senses, it's easy to misfire if you're not in a downpour. I like 'em.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    mmm1,

I had to have the rain sensor replaced three times on my 2002 LS430. It seems like a common problem, I've had my ES loaners do the same thing. The wipers on my S430 don't seem to be any better than the '05 LS430 I had.

Your windshield should already have a water repellant coating on it. The Ultra series LS430's have this glass all around I believe.

-Sam
    I am contemplating buying a 2003 LS430 from a dealer(not Lexus)...........he has been around for around 9 years and has sold over 8,000 cars in that time. He is well known and has a good reputation. I want a 2003 LS 430 white, w/Nav and less than 35k miles. I have a price in mind (around $35-36k). He thinks that his full-time buyer can find one like the one I want. He will be going to Manheim Auctions to find the car.

My question is how much do dealers actually buy these cars for? I know they have to make a profit but I am curious as to what "auction" prices are. I realize a more popular car will command a higher price but other than that what profit are we talking about? $2k, 3k.......................
    Thanks to all on this forum for the valuable information always available here. I was trying for a long time to decide between a new car and a used LS. I finally chose a used LS. I am mostly happy with the decision, so far, however it's only been two weeks. I say mostly, because I have noticed extreme wind noise, when all of the windows are closed. What could be the cause and the cure? I'm only getting 17.5 mpg, according to the dash info. How accurate is this known to be? Also, I've noticed a chip in the windshield. Can anyone tell me what the product is that's supposed to stop it from spreading? Does it really work? How much would a new Lexus windshield cost?

Thanks again,

cn
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    The automatic sensing wipers on our '05 LS430 still do weird things, too. I asked the dealer to check them at 10k mi. and was told they work fine. Ha! Not when one tiny raindrop on a dusty, dirty windshield will turn them on. :mad: Oh, the horrors of a scratched windshield.

Mine still race like mad occasionally, go slow during downpours, everything you experience. The automatic wipers in our '03 BMW 530 work much better. IMHO Toyota/Lexus has some more tweaking to do.
    You didn't say what year LS. I have averaged 22MPG overall mileage as shown on the computer readout on the dash. I have made 25 MPG plus on the hi way and usually 20 MPG around town and hiway mixed. As for the windshield, most insurance companies pay the total bill for the fixing of a chip or star. If you drop by a glass replacement shop, they can check it and probably tell you if it's an old chip and if it has already been fixed but still is visible. They usually charge from $30 to $60 to fix a chip/star. I have one of those on my pickup. Lexus windshields are very expensive. I have seen some discussion in this forum on the difference and if it matters whether you replace with a "Lexus" windshield or "aftermarket". You might try a search of this forum. As for the wind noise, does it come from all four doors or just one. Car may have been in an accident and the weather stripping is letting some air thru? Good Luck.
    Thanks for your reply rgsw. It's a 2002, UL. I believe what I have is a star. Does anyone know if there is some way to keep it from spreading? If it eventually has to be replaced, I would rather replace it with a Lexus windshield. From all that I've read on this forum, it's seems the best way to go, although as you said, a very expensive way. Can someone tell me how expensive? The wind noise seems to be coming from the front passenger window area, possibly even the windshield. I can't really tell. Can it be as simple as repairing the weather stripping? The carfax report was clean. But of course that's not a gaurantee of no accident.

Thanks again,

cn
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    " I believe what I have is a star. Does anyone know if there is some way to keep it from spreading "

We've had these repaired with the 'resin' type compound, by professionals. Our auto insurance does this for free, or we have the option to pay a deductible and have the entire windshield replaced. All three times we chose the free resin repair.

My own internet research showed that the resin repair holds up rather well. We've had it done on all our former cars with no problems. No windshield chips with our Lexus yet, though.

Have you talked with your insurance agent yet?
    Thanks famwald. I haven't talked to my insurance company, but I certainly will. My only concern is that since I just purchased the LS, they may not cover it as a pre-existing problem. Does that make sense?

Does everyone who lives in the midwest, change over to snow tires for the winter? If you do and it doesn't snow much durning the winter, what effect will that have on the tires?

cn
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    Winter tires hold up for several years if they are used on cold roads. Put them on too early, of take them off too late in the spring, and the soft rubber compounds will disappear before your eyes. Temperature is much more of a wear factor than mileage. I have never worn out the sets for my '98, 2000, or '04 cars.
    For Cneuman: I found this on search.. post 7730
    "I have now driven several days at local and highway speeds with my replaced '04 LS windshield made by PPG glass. I have compared it with the OEM windshield side by side in my garage on another "04 LS. There is no difference. I definitely made the right choice passing on the Lexus OEM glass at four times the price installed."
    One more: Post #7703
    "Pebble hit my windshield and the next morning the crack extended across my windshield. After market glass was quoted as $295 installed and Lexus glass was over $1000. Amazing there is so great a difference. I considered paying the $500 deductible on OEM glass but I was more concerned about the insurance claim than the extra $205. Lexus service of course recommended OEM glass but I would hate to pay the extra money and make an insurance claim when the next pebble takes out this windshield."
    Thanks jfz, that incourages me to believe that the cost of a set of winter rims and tires could be money well spent. Thanks rgsw, I too found those posts, by searching windshields, in this forum. I'm sure I even read them before since I have been reading this forum for a long time.But they never stated whether the windshields that were replaced were the ones found on the UL, with the special water repellency. How important is that feature anyway? I tend to think that I could do without that feature in light of the cost difference, as long as it doesn't cause any other problems. Has anyone ever used that $8.99 repair kit, as a temporary measure until you could get the job done correctly by a professional glass repair shop? Because, now I'll have to do some research to find a shop in the Chicagoland area, that will do a good job.

Thanks, this is a great forum.

cn
  • niceputtniceputt Member Posts: 23
    Hi, did you ever determine a solution to the nav voice command not understanding your voice? I can say a command 100 times and still I get 3-4 completely unrelated responses. I am wondering if the voice command software can be updated in a Lexus LS. The other day I rode in a new Honda and the voice command was stellar. I could say something in several different 'voices' and it would still understand me.
    Tom
    California
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Hold on, I'll get you a number.
    I can't offer much help on this end other than to say that the voice command features on this and other cars I've tried aren't all that good. I'll speak a command to lower the temperature and the nav unit will turn on -- or something else similar.

In my opinion, voice commands are one of those gee-whiz attributes of a car that sound great in the marketing brochure/commercials but in reality aren't all that practical.

I think voice recognition in cars has a LOOONG way to go before it becomes "star trekian" in its efficiency and accuracy.

My solution: I don't use voice command. Ever.

Still ... On those days when you just don't feel like driving it'd be nice to tell a car "home" and then you sit back and read a magazine while it takes you there!!!!

Perhaps for my great grandchildren? :)
    I have the same problem with voice recognition on my LS, gteach. Actually, it's kinda fun to see what it will do with my commands, but it's rarely what I had intended.... So, I rarely use it as well. Thank goodness for buttons.
    Hi all,

Is there a way to remove the stencil looking type of dealer logo from your car without damageing your paint?

Thanks,

cn
    Wish I could be more help BUT, the safest bet is to let the dealer take it off when you go in for your next service.

Normally Lexus dealers don't put those stickers/badges on the cars -- a plate frame is the most free advertising I've seen.

I remember once buying a Ford Explorer and it had a HUGE, ugly, plasticky "GUS MACHADO FORD" plate tacked on to the liftgate. After seeing me wince, the salesperson volunteered to remove it. :)
    If you don't want to involve the dealer, you might want to check the ways others have done this in the Removing stickers, labels, decals, glue, sap... discussion. Skim through several pages of it (or even all of it) and see what you can find.

Looks to me like the popular way to do this is with a hair dryer and dental floss. But see what you can find.
    Thanks gteach26 and pat Host.

Is there a way to turn off the Lexus Link prompt that comes on every time you start the car? I thought I remembered reading in a prior post of a way, but could not find it.

Thanks...cn
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    A couple years ago Lexus offered a free Lexus Link removal service. They even replaced the cover on the sunglasses holder, which contains all the Lexus Link buttons, with a plain cover. So you should just go to your dealer and ask them to remove the Lexus Link (I am assuming you are not subscribing to it).
    thanks rennybosch. No I'm not.

cn
    Yes, some of that Lexus Link removal business may have led to the permanent removal of it as an option on new Lexi. Although, I admit, I did subscribe, however, I was not happy with the gal telling me every time I started mine that it was active. I assumed it was unless otherwise advised. There is no way to turn the voice off short of removing it.

My 05 doesn't have it, thankfully. I never used it, and I don't need it.
    Hi Banker!!!

My mother-in-law had an LS with the link lady that drove her nuts and I figured out a way to shut her up.

I'm trying to remember the EXACT thing I did... if I recall there is a volume button up there somewhere.. I just cranked it all the way down and you would no longer hear the lady each time you started the car up.

I'm not 100% sure if that's what I did but I'll do some research and see if I can find the exact method.. but have peace.. THERE IS a way to shut that lady up.
    Check out message 5603 in this discussion.. also do a search under "lexus link volume" and you'll come up with all sorts of hit on this forum.

It seems the lady can be quieted to hushed whisper but not turned off completely.

I remember though, NOT hearing this link lady when I turned the volume down. Give it a try though and see what happens!!

Good Luck!!
    Thanks gteach26 and sv7887. Something so simple and so wonderful. Much better. :)

cn
  • mikeey43mikeey43 Member Posts: 3
    My seat warmer "on" lights work for both front seats. However, the seats do not warm up at all. Fuses are good.

Highbeams do not work. Bulbs for both highbeams had melted. These have been replaced with affect.

Any ideas on these problems.

Thanks, Mike
  • mikeey43mikeey43 Member Posts: 3
    it has been a long week.

i meant to say that the low beams don't work and the bulbs were melted. hi beams are ok.

thanks, Mike
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Halogen bulbs will actually melt the glass encapsulation if run a low DRL voltage levels.
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    Hi All: I have a 04 LS Ultra with 16k miles presently, my car rides
    increasingly harsh and feel every small bumps and drain covers on the road; feel like it doesn't have shock absorpen and the air suspension is not working properly, I tried to use the normal or sport mode, it doesn't make a difference. Took it to the dealers(2) total 4 times, multiple test drives and inspections, both stated nothing wrong with the suspension system, stated original tires in 85% new without flat spot and no need to change tires per dealer, I had the tires balanced. I seeked assistance from Lexus customer care with phone calls and a letter, all stated nothing wrong with the car and they won't do anything about it, one head mechanic stated the ride quality is poor compared to 05 or above. Tires balance and alignment done recently. Paid $70k for this car, ride was like butter when I bought it, and noticed the change a year later, and now the ES loaner car takes bumps better than my own. Does anyone have the same problem or suggestions? Please advise, thank you. swiftm001
  • leza2279leza2279 Member Posts: 10
    My 2004 LS430 lease will be expiring in a few months and I am trying to determine if it makes more sense to buy a new ES350 or pay the residual of $37,013 and keep my LS430 which is in excellent condition.
    I am in my twilight years and am looking for a car that will be provide the comfort and be maintenance free for the next 10 years or so.
    Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks