Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• tjohntjohn Member Posts: 14
    The Compression Ratio is 10.5:1, which is considered on the high side and will 'perform' best on high octane, but you will not notice a performance loss with regular gas in a car this size. Its unlikely the car will ping, though - which would be the only reason not to use Reg gas. If it pings (again, unlikely), use the next grade up, if not, start saving some money and use Reg from now on. In case your wondering, you will not damage your engine by running that tank of reg.
    :D

Happy motoring
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Just drive and enjoy..... You may find the gas mileage drops enough on regular to actually justify mid grade on an economic basis. See what happens. Premium gives you the greater performance possibility. But the engine will be fine. :)
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Thanks, tjohn and fin. So now instead of feeling stupid for picking up the wrong gas nozzle, I feel like a continual sucker for usually paying an extra 30 cents/gallon for premium. Hmm, not sure that feels so much better. :confuse:

But thanks for your reassurances.
  • cneumancneuman Member Posts: 55
    Has anyone had any experience with purchasing an extended warranty for their LS outside of their home state? If so, what was the cost and experience?

Thanks,

cn
  • 2driveright2driveright Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have experience with the first generation Lexus LS400 driving in snow? I'm considering buying one to be a 3rd car that will be a winter car. I understand the early 400's were derived from the Toyota Cressida and if so, I do have a lot of snow/ice experience with that car as I had a new one in 83 - 87 and found it to be very good in the winter here in NH. The Cressida was also a rear wheel drive car and with only a limited-slip differential, it handled deep snow and icy conditions very well. It was a rare car having an inline 6, a 5-speed manual trans, and 4 wheel disc brakes - really a great, reliable car.
    So are the early Lexus 400's ok in the snow?

Posted in the wrong area earlier so let's try here.

Thanks, driveRight in NH.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I would NEVER intentionally take my 1992 LS400 out in the snow when the roads are expected to be slippery. Were I to get "trapped" in such a situation the very first thing I would do is turn off the totally useless and occasionally unsafe traction control.

The 92 traction control system will INSTANTLY dethrottle, FULLY, the engine upon even any minor level of wheelspin/slip. THAT can lead to a few moments of "heart in throat" events, no way to move out of harms way until the ECU slowly releases the throttle.

Back when it was my primary driver I toyed with the idea of modifying it so the traction control defaulted into "off". As it was I just tried to remember to always turn it off whenever I started the engine.

And so I certainly would not buy one, nor advise anyone else to buy one, to be used specifically as a "winter car".

I survived many winters in central MT with only RWD vehicles and those were fine for that time. But today too many "better" options are available. And my advice would be to avoid, completely, any FWD or front torque biased AWD vehicle. Well, maybe the Acura RDX' SH-AWD if you can stand the "busiiness" of the dash clutter and ignore the owners manual edict about using tire chains only on the front.

Numerous back and forth phone calls to Acura engineering and in the end all they could tell me was that the statement in the manual might be a typo, they couldn't find any reason, support, for the statement.

Speaking as someone who's earliest driving experiences (1958), "training", (outside of farm tractors and mules) was on the ice and snow covered ramps of Pease AFB just outside Portsmouth NH.
  • 2driveright2driveright Member Posts: 3
    This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I really appreciate your input.

The 91 LS400 that I'm considering doesn't have the traction control option so I won't have to think about it. As I said in my post my rear drive Cressida was great in the snow with snow tires on just the rear wheels. It might have been even better with snows on all 4.

I'm not paying a lot of money for the Lexus so I'm not worried about the adverse affects to the car - just how it might handle.
  • 93lexus93lexus Member Posts: 1
    Hello! First time posting here so I am not sure what to expect. My problem is this, I bought my wife a 93 Lexus LS 400 about a year ago. It has roughly 200k miles on it, but is in great condition. We have not had any problems until recently. White smoke is coming out of the exhaust upon starting the car, it does not last for more than a minute or two, but is giving my wife concern, which means it is giving me concern. Does any one have any recommendations as to what the problem may be. Going to Lexus to pay their diagnosis & repair cost is out of the question, I only paid $3000 for the car and would hate to go beyond that since it is just a ride around town car.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Hope someone can help you. If no response on this forum, suggest you talk to a Lexus service rep and ask what he thinks might be the problem. Or talk to a local repair shop mechanic which specializes in Japanese cars. Good luck.
  • afiber2afiber2 Member Posts: 8
    Years ago I had a Firebird that had a lot of miles on it. It too smoked for a short period after starting. The problem was bad/worn valve stem seals which allowed oil to seep into the cylinder heads when the engine wasn't running and burn off when the engine was started creating the white smoke. If it is valve stem seals, they are not too expensive to replace however I would suspect your mechanic will want to do a complete valve job which is a little more costly.
    Bill - Northwest IN - Shade tree mechanic in a previous life-
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    White smoke is either steam or coolant. Oil smoke is blue, fuel is black. The smoke is water or coolant boiling and then coming out the exhaust as vapor.

If the weather is cold, water will condense in the exhaust system after shutdown, then come out as steam on startup. This is OK. If you see the smoke after driving on the highway for an hour or it is an all-the-time event, you have a problem.

If you have a problem, most likely, at this age, it is a leaking head gasket. Possibly the cylinder head is cracked. Valve problems are possible but less likely. Keep track of how much coolant you add to keep it at the full mark. Obviously, this is expensive to fix.

Hope for the best..... :)
  • pietwopietwo Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 LS430 with just under 12K miles. When I punch the gas pedal, it hesitates. Does anyone have any thoughts before I ask the dealer to help me here?
    I imagine the "hesitation" you are experiencing is the transmission is not reacting (down shifting) quick enuf. There is a software update that I have read about that can be performed to alieviate this problem. Do a "search" at the top of this forum by entering "hesitation" and you will find numerous comments regards the problem.
  • producer97producer97 Member Posts: 6
    There is a button right below you CD changer that has "Power/Normal/Snow" written on it. This controls the throttle...If you are a maniac driver and want this trait of yours not to get your passengers sick, then set the button on normal or snow...this will make throttle less responsive...but if you want throttle not to hesitate...then chose the power mode...this will make the throttle more responsive and I believe it will also downshift more quickly to give you more power when you hit gas...keep in mind this car was not designed for hauling [non-permissible content removed]...more for smoooooooooooooth acceleration...so even in power mode, you might need to floor it to get the power you want...Oh, it might also be the 6-speed tranny...so, try manual stick shift...put it in the 3rd range for local roads and 4th on the highways and you will not likely to complain about lack of power...this car will truly haul [non-permissible content removed]...but gas mileage will suffer...and you will hear more noise...be careful not to go over 90mph in the 3rd range, as this will take you into the red zone...you don't have to worry about downshifting in the manual mode...the car will do it for you, so 3 means, 1,2,3 automatically, but not higher than 3; 4 means 1,2,3,4 automatically, but not higher than 4, etc...Enjoy!!!!!!
    I have a 2005 LS430 with just under 12K miles. When I punch the gas pedal, it hesitates.

Ask your dealer to re-program the car's computer per Technical Service Bulletin TC006-04; everyone who has had this done has reported the issue resolved.
  • tubaltubal Member Posts: 7
    I have the same problem on my '91 LS, and all the research that I've done points to the power steering pump. There is an air control valve towards the bottom of the pump with two vaccum hoses attached. Fluid leaks into the valve and then into the vacuum hoses and gets sucked into the engine, causing the white smoke. It should only last a few seconds though, not a few minutes. One way to tell would be that if you're having to add power steering fluid occasionally, but there are no visible leaks. I have to add PS fluid once every month or two. Replacing this valve or just removing the valve and replacing it with a plug and then plugging the two vacuum hoses will fix the problem. A new valve will cost you about $94. The Lexus part # is 17630-16040.

Here is a picture and where you can get it if you are a DIY'er:

Sewell Lexus
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    Drove by my local dealer today and saw an LS 430 for sale - just $29K for a car with 62,000 miles - a pretty good deal, I would think. Just wondering how many of you have carried your 400 or 430 up to 150,000 or 160,000 miles or so. Of course, I know some investment in repair and upkeep is inevitable - but did it seem reasonable to you, overall?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Unfortunately, your power steering pump is over your alternator, is it not? If so, that fluid leak will eventually take out your alternator as well. It's one of the weaknesses of the early design, and was remedied in the next iteration....
    Personally, I usually trade by 60,000 miles, but I have friends who have Lexi running in the 100,000s very nicely. You can expect to get easily 150,000 out of them with no sweat. If you're willing to put a little upkeep in, they can go double that with no engine failures.
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    Thanks nvbanker for the feedback
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    I have a 2006 LS 430 with mercury metallic paint. I want to clean and wax but am not sure what to use. Will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
    link title
    link title
    I have used Meguiars care care products on my LS430s for several years now and like them very much. In particular, I like the "G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit" to gently clean all the crud off the surface prior to waxing. I have used several Meguiars waxes and have found them all good. I also use the "Quik Detailer™ Mist & Wipe" between wax jobs and like it very much. It may have been replaced by the Next Generation Speed Detailer? The web site has an evaluation Rx available. Good Luck.
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    Claybar and Zaino products have worked wonders on my Moonlight Pearl LS430 and prior Brilliant Silver E320. The look and feel of the finish will exceed new conditions.
    Have also used Griot's products with great success, inside and outside my cars.
    Have also used Griot's products with great success, inside and outside my cars. The main thing is not to use an abrasive wax, (old style waxes, cleaner waxes were famous for this) or you'll damage your clearcoat. Make SURE your product, whatever it is, is "safe for clearcoat" and you'll be fine.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If any of you want to write up a guide on car care - or anything else automotive related - please join us at http://www.carspace.com/guides. It's great fun! :D
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    The GPS final destination on my 2006 LS 430 is frequently off by a block or so. My tech rep says this is to be expected though it was not an issue in my 2001 430. Manual also says destination may be off on occasion. Will appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
    Hi mheni1. Here's the likely explanation: the database doesn't include street numbers of each building in residential areas - all it knows is the beginning and ending number in each block. So it assumes the house numbers are evenly spaced within each block. For example, to make your home show correctly, set the "Home" indicator by location when you at your house, not by inputting your actual address. It will indicate the wrong house number, but at least it will tell you "You have arrived at your destination" when you are in front of your own house, not your neighbor's.
  • slexy1slexy1 Member Posts: 38
    I just finished sending a reply to Lexus Corp. in Torrance, Ca. Their "Customer Satisfaction" rep told me he could not put me in touch with someone "over his head". Here is part of what I said: "I recently submitted a safety complaint with a suggestion to correct the problem, and I find Lexus Corporate's apology unsatisfactory. You simply say "We apologize that you are displeased with the functionality of the trunk on your 2001 LS 430. We do not have any options available to change the design or functions of the trunk on your vehicle." I am a lot more than "displeased" as I told Mr. Lopez on the phone in great detail. My wife, who is getting over breast cancer, has been hit in the head many times, as I have, by the trunk lid coming down due to moderate winds and just putting groceries in the trunk. I said that at least three dealer service managers have told me that the shocks that are supposed to hold up the trunk are under engineered, and not substantial enough to hold up the trunk lid. This condition gets worse over time, but I did complain about it to Sewell Lexus of Fort Worth many years ago. It was never written up as I was told that the only thing that could be done was to replace those shocks with the exact same shocks. That was unsatisfactory to me at the time, it still is, and I was never told to call the Lexus 800 number until Kevin (service mgr. at Lexus of El Cajon, Ca.) suggested that I at least try." In a NHTS Complaint I also said "This is the same problem ( http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/results.cfm ) explained in Complaint Number 10178801 by "JB". I hope someone at Lexus has improved struts made for this trunk lid and notifies me to have them installed with a recall notice for all 2001 LS 430 owners."

My "066" touch up paint from the dealer that I got with the car in 10/2000 has never matched up (too light a base color) with the "parchment" color paint that came from the factory. I refuse to buy the "pearlescent" second step touch up paint as it will not make the base color darker. Besides, I have a 1990 white LS 400 and Lexus turned the two step touch up process on that color into a one step process that is less expensive and time consuming to do. Since most Lexus colors are "pearlescent", I don't know why they don't do a one step touch up process paint for all their colors? Lexus Corp. said they could not help me with that problem either, and my front end now looks like it has "measles" with all the lighter touched up spots.

Does anyone have any suggestion for either problem, as both cars are out of warranty now. Thanks
  • tjpatpdgtjpatpdg Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a 94 LS 400 with Display problems. It takes about 15-25 minutes(depending on morning temperature) for the display to light up. What is the name and # if you still have it of the Georgia company that can fix this problem?
  • erad98erad98 Member Posts: 23
    My '03 LS 430 started to have squealing brakes about 2 weeks ago without any noticeable fade. Suddenly stopped today. Anyone else experience this? I have an appointment with the dealer (extended warranty) but I'm not sure now if I should waste my time...
  • muchogustomuchogusto Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a 2005 LS430 and I am finding the drivers front seat very uncomfortable. I don't know who the previous owner was, but it seems like the middle part of the seat was overstressed and sinks down more than the passenger seat. I am tall and have to splay my legs out, and since the bolsters are overly firm, they dig into my legs and are very painful. It gets worse the longer I sit in it. It is like sitting in a vise with the jaws closing slowly on the hips as I sink further into the seat.If the bottom would not deflect downward as much as it does, the seat would be fine. Brought to Lexus of Wilmington and a 5'7" service advisor jumped in and out and said it was fine. Nothing wrong. Got the Service Director involved and he said nothing was wrong and he couldn't do anything. I want to contact Lexus Customer Service but wanted to get suggestions on how to approach this with them from this group. Any suggestions on best strategy for serving up this issue to them? Any others have problems with their seat? Is there any recourse beyond the Customer Service group? :(

">

Sounds like others have not had much success in dealing with Lexus Customer Service
  • producer97producer97 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 ls and I agree with you about the seats. I also bought mine used with 35K miles and I find that the seats are not good for long drives. My back starts hurting after 1+ hours of driving. My 05 Taurus had more comfortable seats. I also dislike how long it takes for the seats to warm up. The seat heaters take 7-10 minutes to warm up. That's crap if you ask me. My body naturally warms up the leather faster than the seat heater. I am definitely disappointed with the seats. You can try extended the bottom out, which will provide more support for the thighs but then I think it looses support for other parts of the body, like the back. I also hate the steering, which is all wobbly and takes a lot of effort to keep straight, even after numerous trips to the dealer. :( Not a happy Lexus owner.
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    Mr. Muchogusto:
    1 - everything you wrote is TRUE . on the 2001-2006 LS430
    model , it seems to me , that there are two outsources for seats . ( that is a guess ) why a guess ? because some Ls430's have seats that fit my butt perfect , and some hurt
    as you described . I tried swapping seats from car to car when the car was brand new with zero miles , foam rubber material on the seat , etc.
    2 - the way to know if your LS430 has the wacko seats ,
    is place your fist between the seat bottom and seat back . if your fist goes through from front to back , you have the dud . the seat bottom and seat back should be so tight they rub together with NO space between them . LEXUS even alloed
    for ZERO tolerance , because there is a whitish colored strip of cloth sewn into the seat back and seat bottom where the two pieces meet and rub as they are adjusted and
    give during driving ( operating ) conditions .
    FIX : there are 4 bolts that hold the seat to the chasis floor . 2 in front , 2 in back .
    remove the 2 bolts in back ( move the drivers seat all the way forward , so you can work , place several "o ring" metal washers ( spacers ) on the male bolt coming up from the floor , place the seat on the two bolts in the rear , place the nuts on the bolts and torque the bolts .
    -------
    now the rear of the seat is higher than it was before , and your posterior is more level with the anterior .
    simply put , you place yourself on a level playing field .
    ------
    DISCLAIMER : i have had dealer service people tell me that void's the warranty .
    i do not own any LS430's anymore . I removed the o ring washers before trading or selling the cars . it is the next guy's problem now .
    --------
    NOTE : the seats made by this outsource for lexus are great if you are 6' 5 " , and weigh 350 lbs , and carry lead in your pants .
    for the average 5' 8" person , they can make you feel like you have a serious bladder infection knawing away at your lower back .
    ---------
    Further Disclaimer : the above is not a scientific endeavor. it was strictly done for MY comfort . whether it is true or not true remains to be proven .
    mitchell rowe
    I had an 02 LS430 - and experienced the seat phenomenon mentioned above in that one. I never really got comfortable in that car - and was disappointed. I guess, it had the "crappy seats" in that one. Then one day, I happened to drive a new 05, with Air Conditioned seats, and noticed that the seat was much, much better than my 02 was. Based mostly upon that one fact, I traded my 02 for the 05 and have been pretty happy with the seat in this one. They do take longer to warm and cool than others, because they use a different device than just a heat coil for heat, due to the cooling function. I can live with it. While I admit, a Mercedes seat is better, as is a Volvo, and a Ford Explorer - it is satisfactory. I believe, after test driving the 06, the new seats are much better. Perhaps they checked out a Volvo seat to copy finally, instead of the seat from a 59 Jaguar sedan....

It's a bit disappointing that the finest car on earth, has a crummy seat, isn't it?
    Mr. Banker : As mentioned earlier , I believe the genius's
    in Japan use two sources for the LS seats from 2001-2006 .
    It's pot luck which one a customer is blessed with. the "pain" didn't show itself to sensitive person's for 300 to 800 miles ?
    In re : to your comments about seats in "other" brands , vs. LS seats through 2005 :
    I am extremely happy with the seat in my LS 460 SWB .
    it is flat , conforms to the proper seat bottom length , and it is very wide at the same time , accomodating my butt . additionally , the seat back and seat bottom , actually fit together in all settings ( amazing ) .
    whoever is building the 2007 seat , has heard the call from the american car buyers .
    air / heat - seats : yes ... it is a different system of heating , as was my 2006 LS . However the 2007 LS 460 SWB that i own heats up in seconds ( i like it - we've had very cold temperatures here lately ) .
    mitchell rowe
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Hi Mitchell,

Does your reference to 2001-2006 models imply that the 2007 seats are more comfortable than the previous ones? That would be really good news for me, because I have found the seats in both my 2001 and 2004 LS430's somewhat uncomfortable too. Not as bad as some previous posters indicated, but definitely below par.

Renny
    implying that the 07 is better. On my test drive of an 07, I felt they were definitely superior to my 05, which is infinitely superior to my 02. Odd that so many of us suddenly confess that the seats in the LS are sub par.... My Ford Explorers have had the most comfortable seats I've even had - it's a shame my Lexi have not. Perhaps now - they finally have that right.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    "You can try extended the bottom out, which will provide more support for the thighs but then I think it looses support for other parts of the body..."

ITA with you about the seats. We, too, have an '05 LS430.

I'm tall and find that extending the bottom out (forward) makes the seat even more uncomfortable in that "sitting" area, as if the padding has been compressed in a car with 200k mi. on it. Feels like I'm sitting on a wooden bleacher. Ugh.

Seat heaters in front really do take forever to warm up. I think it is because they "blow" instead of radiate. My Volvos were much faster (well duh- they're from Sweden), but the LS is faster than our old '98 Toyota Avalon was.
    Mr. Bosch :
    Direct Answer : YES . the driver's seat in the 2007 LS460
    ( i have full time knowledge of the SWB only ) , is
    "THE CHAMP " .
    Lexus can do it . THe seat in the "original" gs300 + GS400
    were superb for the average size person .
    the GS , as you know , came out as a 1998 model .
    REPETITIVE : the seat in the 2007 LS460 is flat , wide , and the seat bottom meets the seat back tightly at any position , even with the seat bottom extended or retracted . there is nothing in the seat back that hits the "nerve" in the lower back , that signals "pain" , and
    causes language either thought or spoken sending the seats to an early demise in the graveyard of car parts in one's mind .
    Not all LS430 seats have this insanity . I believe Lexus used two outsources , and one of the sources thought americans were 6' 5" tall , weighed 350 pounds , and ate Micky D's all day while driving , to add another 40 pounds .
    These are unscientific Opinions only . The opinions expressed here are from Personal experience , and there has been no survey to back up these statements .
    mitchell rowe
  • lexuslxlexuslx Member Posts: 18
    I have the same problem with my 2001 LS 430 trunk struts. I have called and visited 5 different auto parts stores and the struts are only available through the dealer. The trunk lid has fell on my head numerous times. It is indeed a safety issue and not of Lexus quality. The trunk struts/shocks are labeled as "1FE28 W676". Let me know if you have found any aftermarket alternatives. I do not want to buy new ones from Lexus if they are only going to fail again in a short time.

If you are experiencing the same problem w/the trunk struts/shocks, I want to encourage others to respond to the message posted by "slexy1" (Msg. #8044)or this message, to voice your concerns to your local Lexus dealer, and finally to contact Lexus by the 800 number for customer care.

Maybe we can get some positive responses if we all complain together.

THANKS!

Matthew Manning
    rxstudent@sbcglobal.net
    Matthew,

Thanks for the post and backup of my (and some Lexus Master Mechanics that I know) contention that the weak trunk struts are a known safety problem that has been reported on the NHTS web site. I sent you a copy of my e-mail that I just sent "Lexus Customer Satisfaction" (to rxstudent@sbcglobal.net). I basically found out from the dealer I bought the car at in 10/00 that the part number for those trunk struts was changed from ending in "30" to "31" sometime after 2001. Lexus keeps the reasons for these changes a secret even from their dealers, so I could not find out "why" for the change. But, I'm requesting that Lexus Corporate allow my dealer to install the "31" trunk struts, as I'm fairly sure that the new ones have been "beefed up". Good Luck.
    I have a 2002 LS and also experienced the trunck lid falling on my head. About a month ago I had the struts replaced under my extended warranty, so far I have noticed a definite marked improvement. Of course a month is not a long time, so the jury is still out. I don't know if the replacemt struts are "31" or not. Would it be easy to tell if the struts are indeed "31"?

Thanks,

cn
    Yes, "cneuman", it would indeed be easy. Just call your dealer and ask someone to look at their records of the part # used. But, I can pretty much tell you (from what my parts manager told me) that you do have the part number ending in "31", since from 2001 to 2006 that part number is all that any Lexus dealer is using to replace whatever was on the trunk lid from the factory. Lexus doesn't even let the dealers know the date of the change in part number, so it could be any time between 2001 and 2006.

Lexus Corp. is not giving the dealers any info as to why the change in part #. I think they want it that way, since Lexus can always say that "It was just due to a change in vendor-supplier". That way, Lexus never has to admit that there was a problem to begin with, and therefore avoids the possibility of any public "recall" happening. But, don't get me wrong, I don't know what the real reason is, and I still love Lexus as my number one brand of car (I have two of them). I just don't think that Lexus has handled this particular situation with the consumer's best interest at heart, and that is not up to the kind of Lexus quality standards that I am used to (my opinion).
    I just got back from my local Lexus dealer where I bought my 2001 LS 430. The service and parts managers along with everyone working there are very nice and helpful (Park Place Lexus of Grapevine, Tx.) This matter is over their heads, as the problem lies with Lexus Corporate, IMO.

Here is some VERY INTERESTING NEWS! A nice new car salesman showed me the trunk mechanism on the brand new 2007 LS 460, and "lo and behold" Lexus Corporate decided to stop using struts to hold up the trunk lid, and go back to the same type of mechanism that was used in my 1990 Lexus LS 400! For lack of specific terminology, I'll call it a "swing-arm with counter balance" mechanism. That might not be accurate, but the point is that for SIX YEARS (2001 TO 2006) Lexus used struts. This tells me a lot that for their newest flagship model they went back to the same basic type of mechanism Lexus used 17 YEARS AGO!

I could be wrong, but this appears to be more "circumstantial evidence" that Lexus is very aware of the problem of weak struts, and/or the problem of even stronger replacement struts (# 31's) wearing out over time. My 17 year old 1990 trunk mechanism is still working perfectly after all these years!
    After I found out about how much less trunk space the LS 460 can have vs. the LS 430, I had to blog about that, and the fact that Lexus no longer uses trunk "struts" to hold up the trunk lid. I wonder why?

http://www.brokerblogger.com/brokerblogger/2007/02/lexus_ls_460s_r.html
    slexy1

Great job!

Thanks,

cn
  • lexuslxlexuslx Member Posts: 18
    I recently had my '01 LS 430 serviced. It has 103,000 miles on it. The timing belt service has not been done yet. They recommended that I get the following things done:

60k Timing Belt Service $1,500
    Transmission Flush $190
    Fuel Induction Flush $160
    New front and rear brakes $700

I am wondering if I could get the same things done at a Toyota dealership for much less $$$$.

Do any of you use a Toyota dealership for your Lexus LS? I had a Toyota dealer do the timing belt service on my 99 LX 470 as it is practically identical to the Toyota Land Cruiser.

Regarding the brakes, would it be safe to buy the Lexus pads, shims, and fits and have a brake shop or Toyota put them on?

THANKS in advance!
    I hope that $1,500 Timing Belt Service incudes an new water pump!
    Fuel Induction Flush would especially be a good idea if you live in an area of the US that has 10% Ethanol at all the gas stations like mine do. Ethanol can clean the fuel lines of gunk that gets caught in your fuel filter (which may need changing too)
    I swear by these ceramic brake pads on TireRack by Akebono ProAct at $74 a pair (available now for front and rear). They are long lasting, don't squeak, dissapate heat for better braking under heat stress, and I think cost less than the dealer pads. I also think that Akebono does the OEM ceramic brake pads for Toyota that cost more.
    http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Lexus&autoModel=LS430&autoYe- ar=2001&autoModClar=

I would get a second opinion from a Lexus Independent Service and Repair shop in your neck of the woods before I did anything. But, I used to use a Toyota dealership to get my 2001 LS 430 serviced, since they used to send me discount coupons for the 30K, 45K, etc. major service intervals that represented big saving over the local Lexus dealerships. Just call the Toyota Service Mgr. and ask him if he would agree that all that work needs to be done (don't say who told you that it was reccommended to be done), if he would do the work, and at what price would he do it all for.

I blogged about the E-10 Ethanol situation here:

http://www.brokerblogger.com/brokerblogger/2006/09/does_e10_ethano.html
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    Lexus of Fort Wayne posts a cost of $490 for timing belt and serpentine belt service. FWIW