Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• afiber2afiber2 Member Posts: 8
    jfz,
    Lexus of Fort Wayne also quoted me the $490 figure for a timing belt & serpentine belt change. I have an appointment next week for this with my '01s 75000 mile service. Amazing what some other dealerships charge.

Bill
    Northwest IN
  • slexy1slexy1 Member Posts: 38
    You are soo right about the differences in what different dealers charge. I've noticed from my experience with dealers in Ca., N.Y., and Texas that it definitely has something to do with the amount of "other dealer owners" competition within a short drive of where that dealer is located. The more the competition, even from good Independent Lexus Service & Repair shops, the lower the prices tend to be, IMO.
    I have been in touch with a manager of the California Online BBB (since Lexus National Headquarters is located in Torrance, Ca.), and it appears (not so sure yet!) that "Lexus is willing to work with the customer to repair his vehicle, if desired." My request was to have those new replacement trunk strut part numbers (ending in "31") installed on my car at no charge.

Here is my new blog post with more details:
    http://www.brokerblogger.com/brokerblogger/2007/03/has_lexus_read_.html
    Here is what I just sent the NHTSA:
    "I just had my trunk struts replaced after Lexus National Headquarters told me 2 1/2 weeks ago that they were willing to work with me. My dealer said they never contacted him to give him the go ahead to do the "no charge" work, so I had to call Lexus HQ's again and complain.

I now am convinced after seeing my trunk lid go up on its own, once it is past the "half way point" in opening, that the replacement trunk struts that have a part # ending in "31" are definitely improved over the old ones (ending in "30") that came on my car in 10/2000 (even though Lexus HQ's has put it in writing to me that they have not changed or improved those trunk struts). My wife agrees that they are improved, and that Lexus has done a "Quiet Fix"! The Lexus mechanic (4 + years with Lexus) who just installed my new struts said that they have been improved over time!

I have my old trunk struts now, and I am willing to mail them to you, once you e-mail me back letting me know that I am not wasting my time and money. Please have your engineers evaluate these old "30's" (taking into account age usage) vs. the new "31's".

I know the NHTSA is very busy, but there are a lot of 2001/2002/2003 or more LS 430 owners who are paying out of their own pockets ($469.64) for replacement struts, since there are no aftermarket ones available. Some owners may not be able to afford replacements and are leaving their trunk lids a safety problem!"

I will be blogging on this eventually, but I wanted to get the word out to "lexuslx", "cneuman", and anyone else with the old (vs. new replacement ones) trunk strut safety problem. But, keep in mind that all struts wear out over time, so only time will tell how long these new stuts will be safe. My gut tells me that they will at least last longer than the ones that came on my car.

For those interested in my last blog post on this (before I do an updated one), here it is:

"NHTSA LS 430 Trunk Strut Investigation"
    http://www.brokerblogger.com/brokerblogger/2007/03/nhtsa_ls_430_tr.html
  • steeldale58steeldale58 Member Posts: 2
    ok guys here is my situation and i am in dire need of some help, I totally understand that lexus is an expensive car peroid. I just got a 93 ls 400 and it needed inspected, well I take it to my shop i usually go to and they fix everything for inspection but it fails the emissions test, now my shop cant fix that since they dont have teh software to plug into it, so I take it to a Dealer to have them work on it and so far they have changed my spark plugs, wires, pulled the exhaust and im at $670, and now they want to do a compression test on the engine, I am new to owning a lexus so any help would be great, well the car like i said wont pass emission and feels like there is very little power when you step on the gas, I am just lost here, what could be causing this and why does it seem like they are just takin my money for this car, I mean cant they find out whats wrong with it so they dont have to keep guessing on whats wrong, please help!!!!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Insofar as rate of acceleration the early LSes at 248HP were not stellar performers. Put on a lot of miles, say 150,000, and the torque converter is getting a little tired.

I think you're being "jacked" around on the emissions fix but I don't have any answer otherwise.
    The Los Angeles, Ca. online BBB: http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Complaint/ComplaintInformationPage.aspx?sm= was a big help. I recommend them to anyone who is not getting satisfaction through the dealers or the Lexus Customer Satisfaction 800#. But, to be fair with Lexus HQ's, make sure you have a legitimate situation (as I believed).

While Lexus Corporate denies improvement of the engineering of the LS 430 trunk struts (more "gas force pressure"), my wife and I both agree that the old struts never lifted the trunk lid on its own, once past the half way point of being 100% raised. In fact, my wife said that she always had to lift the heavy (for her) trunk lid all the way up right from the beginning with the old struts (ANYONE HERE THAT HAS A 2001/2 LS 430 REMEMBER IF THEIR ORIGINAL "TRUNK LID LIFT" EXPERIENCE WAS SIMILAR TO OURS?) I must admit, that I did find it interesting that the seasoned Lexus mechanic who installed the replacement trunk struts said that they (the sturts) have improved over time.

While I am appreciative of my free replacement struts, I told the NHTSA: "There are a lot of 2001/2002/2003 or more LS 430 owners who are paying out of their own pockets ($469.64 Dealer Price) for replacement struts, since there are no aftermarket ones available. Some owners may not be able to afford replacements and are leaving their trunk lids a safety problem!"

I'm hoping that if the NHTSA investigation doesn't warrant a "recall", then at the very least Lexus will do a "SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN" with letters sent to all Lexus car owners that have trunk (and hood) struts like the ones originally put on my 2001 LS 430.

For more details, see "Lexus Customer Satisfaction - A Vehicle For Brand Building?"
    http://www.brokerblogger.com/brokerblogger/2007/03/lexus_customer_.html
    I agree with "wwest": "I think you're being "jacked" around on the emissions." But, I wanted to add that your local "shop" does not represent all Independent Lexus Service & Repair shops. Many do have all the equipment needed to figure out why your car is failing the emissions test. These reputable independents owned and/or operated by former "Lexus Certified Master Mechanics" would probably charge you less money, overall, than dealers would.

One suggestion: Before you buy any previously owned vehicle, take it to a reputable independent shop, or a dealer and have it thoroughly checked out. While you would have to pay for this, it might save you a lot of money in the long run.
  • steeldale58steeldale58 Member Posts: 2
    i def appreciate the advise guys, and I am going to have a fit about all these dumb tests they keep doing and is costing me over $1000, to be honest the car was given to me for free so I can complain about that, but I just had no idea what I was getting myself into, is there anywhere I can find these little independant shops? Everywhere I tried to take the car was like, oh Lexus no dont work on them. Again thanks guys....any other help is much appreciated
    Try the Verizon Online Smart Pages using "Lexus Service & Repair", but they don't make themselves easily findable. Try your local Chamber of Commerce web site and e-mail them where you can find one.

Of course, you could always give away on chat rooms the town that you live in and maybe someone already knows of a good one there. Good Luck.
  • dsteinerdsteiner Member Posts: 2
    1991 400 LS--6 weeks ago the traction light came on and the dash lights would flicker. Then the car jerked slighly when driving. then there was an odor like a electical fire. Then the car would not stop running when the key was turned off. We have replaced he starter, fuel injectors ( the cylinders on one bank were ful of gas) and he brain box. The porblem still exits where the dash lites flick off and the car wont shut off. hte lex dealer cant find the issue and my mechnic commited suicide trying to find this issue. SAVE ME! -signed $1500 later and no peace.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Go to www.cartalk.com and check on their reputable repair shop target. People have registered their good mechanics there - you may find one in your area...
  • rindgerindge Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2004 LS430 with 51k miles. LAst week in a drive the car hit 4000 rpm's at 60-65 mph. The car revving that high caught my attention. I put the car in manual drive shift and the car hit the normal rpm range 2000 or so. Also, sometimes when starting the car it will sit idle at 1500 to 2000 rpms. Has anyone else seen / heard of this issue? I have not yet called the dealer as the problem stopped - for now at least
    I haven't had the revving issue, but my LS does idle kind of high, I think. It's usually idling between 800 - 1000 RPM, and sometimes does spike up to 1500 for no apparent reason. It doesn't bother me a lot, not enough to inquire about it, it seems to know what it's doing. :confuse:
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    I have a 2006 LS 430 with no Lexus Link--it was not an option.Has anyone installed digital Lexus Link after new car delivery? Thanks.
  • mrcleanermrcleaner Member Posts: 5
    I am getting ready to replace my Dunlops sp 5000 tires. My thought was to buy "michelin mxv4 plus", called tire rack for their opinion and they advised me to buy "continental contiProContact" they seemed to think the Continental scored better in all categories. My main objective is soft and quite ride with good tread wear. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    I replaced the OEM Dunlap 5000 with the new Turanza Serenity. On smooth asphalt surfaces, these tires are as quiet, if not more, than new 5000s. Over seams and sharp bumps, they are significantly quieter. in heavy rain and standing water, they are absolutely extraordinary. Highway fuel economy may be about 0.5 mpg less.

Just as the Turanza LS-H, these tires do flat-spot in cold weather. I suspect this is due to nylon in the belt. This resolves in about 2 miles.

Whatever tire you choose, have them balanced, and the alignment checked at your Lexus service department.

Note that 225-55-17 Serenity tires have been back-ordered for most vendors. I installed 235-50-17 because they have the same RPM of 794.
    Thanks so much for your input on the replacement tires. I have read about the turanza LS-H and they sound great. I was just curious about the continental procontact, since tire rack recommended them over the michelin mxv4 plus. After reading the lexus forums it sounds like the OEM 5000 can be beat as far as ride and quiet, that is my main reason for a different tire. Thanks!
    I have no experience with Turanza tires, but I have plenty with Continental, and next to Firestones, I think the continentals are pretty much junk. You'll get a soft, quiet ride alright - until the air starts bleeding through the cracks in the sidewalls....

Personally, I'll take a Michelin or the Dunlop anyday over the Continentals. I'll take the Turanzas too, untried and unseen over the Continentals. I'll take anything but Firestones over continentals. Just my opinion, YMMV.
    I appreciate your response to my tire replacement post. I think you are probably right on the michelins, I had them the mxv4 plus on my ES and thought they were great. I now have an LS and it came with Dunlop SP5000 and I am getting ready to replace them, so I will probably go back to michelin, my home town tire dealer said michelin ever so often has rebates on a set, so he is going to notifiy me when this happens. Thanks again!
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    Is it OK to use regular gas use in my 2006 LS 430? Any negatives? Thanks.
    It won't hurt the car. It will (by my experience) diminish the performance slightly, and your mileage will suffer some. Not sure in the end, you save much. Of course, I always have to say; "If you can afford one of these fine machines, gasoline is the cheapest part of driving one, so why are you so cheap?", however, as I said, it won't damage anything. :shades:
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    My problem with regular gas is if the engine starts pinging or denotating, I can't hear it. Too many hours flying recips. I agree with NVBanker, why not use what the car manual stipulates. They must have specified premium for a good reason.
  • lexuslxlexuslx Member Posts: 18
    2001 Lexus LS 430 Ultra

Navigation
    Mark Levinson Audio 6-CD
    Park Assist
    Lexus Link
    Heated & Cooled Seats
    Rear Heated Power Reclining and Massaging Seats
    Rear Climate Control (4 separate climate zones in car)
    Rear Refrigerated Storage (6 cans)
    Rear Power Sunshade
    Height Control
    Sport Suspension
    Xenon HID Headlights w/Washers
    Automatic Wipers
    17" Factory Lexus Chrome Rims
    Sunroof

Black Onyx w/Black/charcoal interior

108k miles w/Lexus Service History
    Perfect except cracked Dynamic Cruise Control Lens...have replacement one not yet installed.

$22,300 obo

Email for pictures or further info.

THANKS!

Matt
    rxstudent@sbcglobal.net">
    This isn't Craig's List, Matt. Not supposed to list cars for sale here.
  • lexuslxlexuslx Member Posts: 18
    Sorry nvbanker, my mistake. Please delete my message if you are the controller or let me know how to have this done.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, we've relaxed a little on that rule. We'll leave it up for a bit. Good luck with it!! :)
    One of the very first lessons I learned about piloting a recip is that it is impossible to hear knocking/pinging in an aircraft (less muffling??) so you ALWAYS lean the mixture out to the RICH side.

But that doesn't apply to cars.

In most modern cars you will never hear knock/ping due to octane level or mixture ratio due to the sensitivity of the sensors. The VERY instant even the slightest level of knock/ping occurs the ECU will correct for it.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    A couple of weeks ago the front passenger door's electrical system died on our '05 LS430 (only 25k miles). That door must be locked & unlocked manually, its window won't work, and the side view mirror doesn't tilt down when in "Reverse."

I have an appointment to take it to the dealership (warranty item) but wonder if any of you have experienced this. Have no clue what caused it. I figure something has shorted out?
    Ideas, experience, etc.? Thanks.
    Just a guess but I suspect you have an open connector in the wiring harness/loom to the door.
    That would be my guess as well. Should be a very easy repair. For the whole door to go dead, it has to be the pigtail.
    Thanks for the feedback. I think you were both right. Got the car back from dealer yesterday. Problem was a connection that had become disconnected in the door itself. They had to take off the door panel to reconnect. Go figure. They probably spent more time removing and reattaching the door panel than it did replugging the connector.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I've always heard rumors that it is "possible" to have equity in a lease, but in my experience that has never been a reality -- until now!

The difference between my LS430 payoff (with 7 months left on the lease) and the KBB resale value of the car is $7,000 IN MY FAVOR!

I ran the numbers just for kicks expecting to be either even or a little upside down on the car but the 430 seems to be holding its value so well that I actually have 7K equity in this car right now.

Once the lease is up I am definitely buying the car and selling it on my own.

This is just another reason for me to like this car even MORE than I already do!!!!
  • tropheustropheus Member Posts: 3
    The KBB value is inflated. Expected true market value is roughly $5k less.
    Interesting....

If that's the case then KBB should seriously reconsider their suggested "value" models. I've heard there's a secret blue book just for dealers with wholesale prices, etc. but I've gotta imagine that value differs wildly depending on make/model/condition and location.

Normally for me though, the KBB "trade-in" values are pretty close to what I've been offered at dealerships on past cars.

I have no clue how accurate the "private party" figures are. I guess that's where a bigger value gap might present itself.

However, I always start checking around lease termination time and this is the first time I've seen such a big "favorable" gap between my payoff and the supposed value of the car. The residual value at lease end for my contract is $35K -- I figure an '05 LS430 with low mileage (mid 20's)in mint condition with nav, Levinson, etc. will fetch high $30K low $40's at least.

I'll be checking the sale classifieds online and in my local paper to see if that holds true.....
    "Normally for me though, the KBB "trade-in" values are pretty close to what I've been offered at dealerships on past cars." (Your post quoted at left.) When dealer offers you the "trade-in" value on your car, do they then discount off their sticker or ask full retail on the new one and offer "trade-in" on the old one. If I trade, I ask them to go for "High Book" on the trade-in, if they are going to stick to the sticker on the new one. If they want to discount from the sticker then I can accept a lower trade in. In the end, I talk "difference" and don't evaluate what they are offering me for the "trade-in", just what's the difference and is it worth it?
    gteach - have you checked the numbers here at edmunds.com? They were "spot on" when I bought & sold all our cars.
    Yep, I checked edmunds.. they peg the value very similar to KBB. $42K trade in, $45K private party.

rgsw -- good suggestions. Normally I negotiate the new car's price and the lease/finance deal online with the internet sales person and THEN when I go in we talk about the trade-in. Keeping them as separate transactions helps keeps things easy.
    In my experience, gteach - KBB is out of touch with reality on trade in values. I go to the auction every week almost, and the dealers around here like to offer you about $2,000 BELOW Manheim Market Report values - in case they have to auction your trade - they can still make money on it. None of them use Kelly anymore. KBB is for private individuals buying and selling from private parties, to figure out values. But it's way over inflated from real world anymore. Should they reconsider their value system? Probably. I have no idea how KBB sets their prices, but they are way out of touch around here.
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    Recently turned the car on and change A/C filter came up. Is this a easy fix for an unexperienced person or is this a dealer item?
    Probably an easy service item - but which model do you have?
    Reading your other posts (though you are intensely private in your profile) revealed you have an 01 LS430. This is an easy service item on your car. In the back of the lower glove box, is a removeable black plastic panel. Once removed, you will see the A/C blower housing in white plastic, and a small long door that can be unsnapped.
    Do that, and you'll see the filter can be slid out, and a new one installed. Reverse the process after installation. Re-setting your warning message process should be in your owner's manual if it remains on, and I think it will. This whole process is also in your manual, by the way. Good luck. The filter is expensive - that's the worst part of it.
  • scottamcscottamc Member Posts: 26
    I have a question to ask you experts. My parents own a 2004 Lexus LS 430. It only has 13,000 miles on it and has all the bells and whistles. Mark lev, nav, ultra lux pkg, park assit, massage seats/recline, chrome wheels, Silver paint/cream interior, etc.. They buy out price is about $38k. My question is do you think this is a good deal and how much on the open market is it reasonable to expect this car to go for? Thanks in advance
    Thanks. My car was broken into and they took the owner's manual and navigation book. I will try it. Should I go through a dealer or OEM for the filter. I know of a reputable one in the Dallas area.
    I am certaintly not an expert but I paid $35k for a 01 LS with Nav/Mark levinson no ultra package or crome wheels with about 15k on it
    Kelly Blue Book shows a private party sale value in "Excellent Condition as $47,400" for my area. $38K sounds like a great value. You might buy extended warranty for around $2000 if the warranty concerns you. Also, Edmunds shows a private party value of $42,448....good luck.
    I don't think it matters where you get the filter. As for your missing manuals, check on e-bay. They are usually available for a song there.
    Should I go with the dealer they quoted me $38 + tax? I tried toyota but they need an exact part no.
  • tropheustropheus Member Posts: 3
    You can order OEM parts at discounted price here:

www.lexus-parts.com
    www.irontoad.com