Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    Thanks yeah I ended up going with lexus-parts.
  • mikeyinmomikeyinmo Member Posts: 9
    I have had a "first-ever" problem today with the touchscreen on my '99 LS (84XXX miles).

Several times when I started it today, the Lexus image appears briefly, as usual, and then it went to the climate screen, but all the controls were greyed out and non-responsive (like some of the NAV buttons are when the vehicle is in motion). And the each side "mechanical" buttons to select radio screen or NAV screen, etc. wouldn't switch to their views, either.

I re-started the car and it then came up normally.

After my next stop.....again, it failed to boot up on the first start, giving me greyed out controls. So again, I restarted it and it came up properly.

I have now tried it twice in the garage at home and it came up OK both times.

Any ideas....??? I always worried about putting all the "eggs in one basket" like that, especially the HVAC system......lol.......

I have eMailed my dealer and I await his response, but I thought I would post this on the Forum as well. I expect the dealer to just say "replace CPU #14A-1250 for a billion dollars and it will go away."

I really appreciate the folks who manage this Forum and especially the concerned owners who check it regularly and offer useful, cost-saving advice.

Thanks from "mikeyinMO," which is in SE Missouri, steeling himself for a hot, humid summer with no A/C in his still beautiful Champagne Gold LS.
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2004 LS that had the nav software upgraded on recall. I am interested in upgrading it again since I am finding POIs that are missing or have since moved. I read old posts and it sounds like the latest 6.1 gen 4 software kills the motion overide and this is a feature I have used. Anyone have experience with updating with version 5 software? Was there enough difference to justify the change over version 4. I hate to purchase an older disc but it may be a better compromise if I don't want to lose that overide feature.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Hi jsb16. When I upgraded to version 6.1 I saved the old CD (or DVD? I don't remember) version 5.1. I'd be happy to send it to you. email me at rbosch at roadrunner dot com.

Renny
  • phxphx Member Posts: 8
    Is there anyway to prevent the lock out (ability to enter info when the car is moving) for the Nav on an 05 LS430.
    Message 7602 said:

"A set of button pushes can override the lockout on most 2005 Lexus NAVs until the next time the vehicle is restarted by pushing the buttons in the following order: menu > volume > top left of screen, bottom left, top left, bottom left > override ((hold for several seconds until override is highlighted and beep occurs) > back. Destinations can then be entered while moving.
    No one has yet found a way to dial the phone while moving."

However, if your nav DVD has been upgraded to version 06.1 then this no longer works.
  • phxphx Member Posts: 8
    Thank you. Is there a way to determine what version DVD I have.
    "Is there a way to determine what version DVD I have?"

Push some buttons and press some options until you get a button called "DVD ver." or something like that. Do you have any children in your family? They will have no problem finding it. It's the training they get from playing those cursed games all the time.
  • paul83paul83 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1990 LS 400 with 140,000 miles. Looks like new. Had problems with the engine. Had my mechanic put a used low mile (20,000 miles) 1992 LS 400 engine into the car. Ran perfect. He also put a new alternator. Drove the car 150 miles and all the lights came on the dashboard. It had been running on the battery only. He did not hook up all the wires on the alternator. He hooked all the wires on the Alternator. Took the battery cable off and reset the computer. All the lights came back on the dash board. Do you think it could be faulty battery cables? Do all the lights come on the dashboard when you have a problem with the alternator? The car looks and runs perfect but can not get it inspected with all the lights on the dash board lit up. I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Paul
  • mheni1mheni1 Member Posts: 41
    I have bluetooth in my 2006 LS 430. I use a Verizon Motorola RAZR V3c cell phone which works well with Lexus bluetooth with one exception---I am unable to upload cell phone address book to bluetooth system. Thus I must use cell phone for making calls though they go thru car bluetooth. Pls direct me to a cell phone, preferably with Verizon, that will allow address book to be uploaded to bluetooth system. Thanks.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Well, I can tell ya that a TREO 700 Won't do that either....Best bet would be to ask Lexus what they recommend, and decide if you want to go there.
  • cgazsccgazsc Member Posts: 3
    I've been using a Treo 650, also with Verizon, for about 2 years now with my 2004 LS. I am able to upload from the 650 to the BT, but with some difficulty. I sometimes have to repeat the process several times before it gets it right. One thing to be careful with is if you already have many entries in the Nav BT directory and you want to add just a couple of more, do NOT upload the whole address book again. You'll get duplicate entries which is a pain to delete.
    famwald, had the exact same problem with my '04 LS. Turned out to be the ECU for the door. Dealer kept it for 2 days.
    Interesting, I was never able to get this done. It's actually hard to keep the 700 I now have even connected. It will adopt the car for a few minutes after you start the car, but after a little bit, if you don't use it, it breaks the bind and you have no connection anymore.... My 650 was better.
    The 650 works extremely well(except for uploading). Everytime I get in the car it connects and stays connected. Love it! Just wish Lexus had their head screwed on straight and allowed me to manually enter phone numbers directly into the directory(when stopped of course!). That way I wouldn't have to fight the BT to receive all the bits correctly! What are they thinking???
    You are correct - my 650 was far superior to my 700 and connecting and staying connected to my car.
  • copyrightattycopyrightatty Member Posts: 14
    I am considering purchasing a 2002 LS430. It seems that you can find them with 65-70k on the odo for under $24k. I need it for an occasional driver to take clients to dinner, to play golf, and for a couple long haul trips a year. All told, I doubt I will put more than 6k on it a year, and it will be in service for about 4 years. Does anyone have suggestions on specific issues to look for or things to avoid? I appreciate any feedback.
    I had an 02, and the only thing I'd be concerned about is the seat. Make sure you can live with the driver's seat. They are rather flat and unsupportive in the extreme. If it doesn't bother you, go for it. They are just great - the best on the planet, IMO. Yes, I have another one, an 05 now, better seats.
  • mrcleanermrcleaner Member Posts: 5
    I recently replaced the OEM dunlop tires with the new michelin primacy mxv4. This tire replaces the michelin mxv4 plus. I just drove 2000 miles on a vacation and wanted to post that these tires were very different from the Dunlop 5000 sp, much quieter, less road noise and a super soft ride. Needless to say I am very pleased with this tire. This tire was just released for sale june 1,07. So there isn't much info out about them, just wanted to give my opinion regarding this tire.
    I might add they are good on wet pavement, no hydroplaning problems. They also have a 60,000mi tread warranty!!
  • dh1870dh1870 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all I am new to the forum, and have a question. I am thinking of buying a used LS430. Possibly a 2003 or 2004. I have noticed while looking up the blue book values that the 2003 is about $5000 cheaper than the 2004. So it appears to me that besides the changes in the 2004 model, they are taking an additional year of age into account for the valuation. SO my question is when do the re-evaluations get figured into the blue books? Is it when the new model year occures or the new calendar year? Or do they refigure quarterly? If I am looking for a 2004 LS, should I wait a few months, and it may drop down to what the cost of a 2003 is now

thanks all
    There are a lot of variables at work here. First, the "blue book" that Kelly puts out is very consumer oriented - in other words, the "uninformed buying public" still tends to use the Kelly Blue Book for car values. But the more informed public and the industry uses other valuation systems now, and Kelly is probably the least credible of the bunch. Edmunds is one valuation source that is good. Manheim is almost exclusively who the insiders use (dealers, wholesalers, etc.,) because Manheim controls a large percentage of the wholesale used car market in the country with their hundreds of auctions nationwide.

Secondly - values are reconsidered all the time, and as fast as the market adjusts, values adjust. Public perception governs demand for used cars, and demand governs value. Supply and Demand ultimately determine what your car is worth to you - and whatever you are willing to let it go for, and whatever your buyer is willing to pay for it. These prices are averaged to some degree, and results are published. Regional issues apply as well.

Then, there's used, and very used. Used cars take a big hit at around 60,000 and 90,000 miles. Condition plays a tremendous role in an actual car's value. Model changeovers can affect value tremendously. There was quite a difference between the 03 and the 04 Lexus LS, in options, technology and a little in style as well. The 04 is more sought after, therefore, commands more money, and ergo; is valued higher.

So, in other words, why wait? The longer you wait, the less a given car will cost you because it ages. OTOH, you can't enjoy it until you own it, so......it's really up to you and how much you are willing to pay.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Interesting...

I just traded in my 2005 LS430 (modern lux package with 27,0000 miles).. KBB, NADA and edmunds valued the clean trade-in at around 5K more than "REALITY". Manheim's price is what the dealer offered and paid.

Bottom line for my particular case is that KBB, NADA, and Edmunds were WAY off. Carmax wants you to give your car away for free and Manheim was right on.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    All three, KBB, NADA, and Edmunds, were off by $5000, on the high side, and Manheim was right...?

...because that's what the dealer offered you...?
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Edmunds, KBB, NADA all showed around $40,000 as a "clean" or "good" trade-in price for the car (didn't put "excellent" condition to be more realistic).

Carmax offered $32K
    Dealer # 2 offered $35K
    Dealer # 3 offered $35.2

I never hinted at what I wanted for the car, just asked them for their best offer.

New car purchase was negotiated separately to avoid confusion.

Both dealers showed me the manheim auction list printout for my area-- don't know if they made it up but since they both came in so close to each other I figured the price was legit.

I wish dealers would use KBB, Edmunds, or NADA numbers -- it'd make trading in a car a much more transparent process....

I wonder if there's a forum here where the people are discussing the good, bad, and ugly of the different car valuing services out there on the web? Did a search with no luck.....
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I wonder if there's a forum here where the people are discussing the good, bad, and ugly of the different car valuing services

There is this one in Smart Shopper: Edmunds vs. Kelley Blue Book Pricing. The host, Kirstie, said she'd be willing to add NADA to the title. Check it out.
    Exactly - this is true because Manheim sets the market! Whatever those cars bring at auction, is what the dealer could get stuck with if they can't move it on their lot, so they need to protect themselves against a loss on your trade. Manheim is the best they can do. I don't know what KBB, NADA and Edmunds use for research - but it's not real, except for the consumer - it's what THEY follow. But dealers, wholesalers and brokers all use Manheim, it's the real world.
    "Manheim is the best they can do."

Yes, Manheim, using auction prices as a basis, would undoutedly be the "best" deal for the dealer.

But NEVER the seller or trade-in owner.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    If $5K is disposable to you, or any money for that matter, trade in your car; if not, sell it privately. I haven't traded in a car in over 35 years. Although I consider my time valuable too, it's never taken me over 1 week to sell my car through local newspapers, now craigslist, etc. A weekend spent detailing the car, rather than the golf club, pays big dividends.
  • hprjrhprjr Member Posts: 24
    I have an '00 LS400 with 105k miles. Recently when starting the engine (I keep the AC in the auto mode), the slight clicking noise that comes from the AC compressor turning on has graduated into more a double popping sound much more pronounced than usual. Any ideas what is happening-the AC is performing well-car has been serviced by the book at Lexus dealerships. Thanks for any help.
    Sounds like the compressor is going out fast. I would cease using the A/C immediately, and get it checked, or at least changed. Because when it quits working, if it is indeed the compressor, you can flood your system with junk. It's not the end of the world if you do, but not a great thing either.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll take your advice ASAP and take it to the dealership.
    So.....what was the outcome???? I'm just curious.
    I'll know tomorrow. Haven't had a chance to drop it off at a dealer yet. Been driving with the AC off.I'll let you know when it is fixed. Thanks.
    Okay, this is what the service advisor said. Yes, the compressor is making a little more than the normal start up 'click' but would NOT change out the clutch/compressor assembly now for that kind of money (approx.1600$). He explained something about the clutch has a 20% slippage allowance before it shuts the compressor off at which an AC light will flicker telling me that the system is down to prevent further damage. I was impressed with their honesty and treatment-they could have easily advised changing out the assembly.
    I admire their honesty as well. One would hope that would be a broad attitude, but each service writer is different.
    Not certain about today, but not too many years ago the compressor's electromagnetic clutch could be replaced ($200) without replacing the compressor.
  • n3dincn3dinc Member Posts: 1
    I saw this car for sale and after researching the vehicle feel this could be a good buy. The car was not driven in the winter and the low miles for the car appeal to me. I am looking to get rid of my 1998 Durango for a car that will be better on gas and getting around town (to work, gym, etc.) and is comfortable for me (I am 6'5" tall). The vehicle comes with a cd changer in trunk, rims/tires 3 years old and a major tune up a year ago. The only problem noted is a radiator sensor light however the owner says he has had it checked out and nobody can find the problem. The asking price is$4500/OBO. I would really like to get some feedback on this vehicle. Thanks for the help.
    I'd take it to a dealership and pay approx. $100 to have it thoroughly checked over. In addition, ask if it has had the 30k, 60k, 90k, and the 120k services performed. Lexus keeps this info. in their system no matter what dealership the service did the work. I had a 1990 LS400 for 10 years and 165k when I sold it. Only problem I encountered was the steering pump had to be replaced and the LED instument panel lights were starting to misbehave. Properly maintained, those cars are now reaching 300k! Once a tech inspects it top to bottom, they can give you an idea what it needs to provide you reliable service.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    While the LS is about as good as it gets, we're talking about an 18 year old car. C'mon...if you want reliable transportation you really can't expect it from any 18 year old ANYTHING.
    Ditto. It's gonna have problems, and not all of them cheap to fix.
  • jonlavonnejonlavonne Member Posts: 1
    Got home from the city the other day and noticed one of my wheel inserts was missing that cover the lug nuts. Bummer. I have a 94 LS400 with chrome wheels. Anyone know where I might find these?
    Sewell Lexus has a great parts department. Lexus_parts.com, I think. Also, try E-baymotors.
  • renny_boschrenny_bosch Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 LS430 with the dynamic cruise control. Sometimes after using it for a while, if I cancel it to slow down and then later press "Resume", instead of resuming the previously set speed it acts as if I had pressed "Set", ie., it sets the speed to whatever speed I was doing at the time I pressed "Resume". This is an intermittent problem, and so of course the dealer can't reproduce it. I am wondering if any of you have had this problem and what it turned out to be.

My hunch is that it must be the switch itself, on the theory that intermittent problems are usually mechanical, not electronic. Or it might be frayed wiring?

I would appreciate any suggestions, hints, clues, guesses, . . . whatever.

Thanks -- Renny

PS: This started about a year ago, and has been gradually getting more frequent.
    Don't know if this will help. I have found that if I cancel with the brake, resume doesn't work, it does as you say, acts like set. However, if I cancel by pulling the switch toward me, resume works fine. Could this be your problem?
  • renny_boschrenny_bosch Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Howard. I will certainly test that. I believe I have had the problem in either case, but I will make sure. If that works it's an easy work-around. Have you complained to the dealer about it?

Merry Christmas -- Renny
    Have not complained, as I figured that was the design....haven't bothered to research either, as it hasn't bothered me. Been a minor point of interest only to me.
  • muchogustomuchogusto Member Posts: 5
    Have an 05 also and have found the seats to be a real pain in the a_ _, literally. I am tall and thin, but the bolsters on the seat bottom really dig into my hip bones. I have the airconditioned seats and the bolsters are very firm, and hard. They don't give much. The center of the seat sits down too much further exascerbating the situation. Dealer didn't want to consider doing anything. Just sat in the seat for 10 seconds and pronounced it "just like new". Any one out there that has a suggestion to get this dealt with would be much appreciated.

:cry:
  • phyllis119phyllis119 Member Posts: 3
    My lease ends in one month on my 2004 Ls430. The car is in perfect shaoe and has 51,000 miles with no problems. the buyout is $28.5 plus 7% tax. Im considering buying it rather than stepping down to an es350. Is this a god idea?
    Both my '01 and '04 LS430's had very uncomfortable driver seats. It was so bad I got a large fluffy towel and folded it up 8-ways and put it on the seat. That made it reasonably comfortable. Of course it made the heating/cooling pretty ineffective on the seat, but they still helped on the back.

Many others have commented on the seat being uncomfortable. I too took each car back to the dealer and got the "It is designed to be like that" story.

By the way, the LS460L has a more comfortable seat. Not Cadillac-like, but good enough so I no longer need my towel.