Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• I have a '99 LS, equipped with Navigation and the screen in my car has "all the eggs" in one basket (climate, nav, radio, etc). I too have experienced the "blank screen" or more accurately, the "grayed out screen" where nothing works and nothing responds to commands from your fingers.

My dealer simply told me to "reboot" ie turn the car off and restart it. I have had to do this maybe a half dozen times in the last year and it worked every time.

BTW, if this does NOT work, then you are looking at some expensive "module" replacements to your car. I do not think it is a "fuse" problem.

I am unhappy that "all the eggs are in one basket" on the touch screen and now I just cross my fingers everytime I start my car.

Good luck and I hope I have been some help.

Mike in Missouri..........
  • eagle3eagle3 Posts: 7
    Hi Mike,

I tried the reboot thing but it didn't work. My 95 is not one of the "all eggs in one basket" model. My Radio/CD,etc. has a different screen below the A/C,heater screen, and of course I don't have Nav. I sure hope it is not a bad module. If anyone else out there has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks for the response though, Mike.
  • famwaldfamwald Posts: 114
    This week I notice all the gas pumps have a sign on them stating that all blends from the pumps contain up to 10% Ethanol. I usually burn premium Shell gasoline, but even the Amoco pumps have a similar notice on them.

My question is this: what will the 10% ethanol do to the engine of our '05 LS430?

I've searched the Lexus forums and can't find an answer. Thanks!
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    But stay away from E85 or any other blend with more than 10% ethanol.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Replace the cigarette lighter fuse.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I always burn Shell V-power premium as well, but don't worry. The LS will handle the 10% Ethanol without a problem whatever. It's built to handle much worse, but don't try burning the E-85 corn junk in it. That will turn on your check engine light.
  • famwaldfamwald Posts: 114
    Thanks for the reply. My dealer said to avoid, but they must have misunderstood and thought I ran across the E-85.
  • melissac3melissac3 Posts: 1
    had the same problem with my lexus and found out that it was the air control valve at the side of the power steering pump. Took off the two hoses and plugged up the power steering pump and then capped of the two hoses at the intake and never had the problem again. If your having any loss of power steering fluid i would bet that this is your problem. lexus.com site has step by step instructions on how to fix it. Its a very cheap fix costed me about 2 dollars to fix.
  • ckennedyckennedy Posts: 82
    Anyone know where the engine air filter is located? Mechanic started rattling so some numbers and I said that I would do it. Do I need to go with a K&N type air filter or can i just go with one from like lexus-parts.com?
  • bouelletbouellet Posts: 4
    Wireless door lock buzzer switch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wifes 96 LS400 has the buzzer switch on the right driver kneewall so she can modulate the sound...However my 97 LS400 has no sound when I use the remote and there is no button beneath the interior trunk open button as the manual says it should be. Can anyone shed light on this situation. Again I have no sound when locking or unlocking doors or trunk with the remote and I can't find a button.
  • vdragonvdragon Posts: 12
    Hi all,

Looks like I may need a 4 door car for the child seat and more. Have an 8 month old son right now and planning on having another pretty soon.

Got my wife an '05 Lx470 and it is the best SUV there is, to me.
    I have a Tacoma pickup.

Starting to do some research and I see the 2001 is the first year for the 430. Am I wrong in targeting this year and model? Are there any major issues for this model year compared to a 2002 or 2003? Only reason I'm targeting this year of course is the price... the cheapest of the newer styled cars.

I figured since I'm looking, might as well look at a newer model. Is there anything in general I should be aware of for the Ls430's? "This has been known to break at xxK miles... this has been known to happen on this model year..."

Thanks for the help. I will continue to browse all the posts.
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    While I realize you are looking for "cheaper" of that style might I suggest you seriously look at the '04 years as there were a number of significant changes to the LS that really makes it a much "better" LS than the prior couple of years. Six speed tranny among other items that you can research. I've had really nothing except normal maintenance on my '04 and its still the best car I have ever owned but you know the brand from your LX. Best of luck on your search.
  • hello mr. dragon : the pinacle of the 3rd LS series was the early 2005's with 17" rims . 2004's are very close , but the '05 had some extra features . in late 2005 , the $ 1800 18" rims , that were optional, became standard . the 18's held over to the 2006 model . the 17's were much more of a luxury feel and ride , and sat flatter on the road surface for more control and better wet handling .
    -------
    the 2009 is scheduled to be an all wheel drive ( no more 2 wheel - rear drive ) ,
    meeting emotional competition from moronic dealers .
    the current 2 wheel - rear drive is simple and economic . the all wheel drive will cost 1 to 2 mpg , and not necessary in alot of areas of our country .
    assuming the story is true ( all 2009 ls's will be 4 wheel drive ) , it will , in my opinion , lexus's first major dud .
    -------
    grab a 2008 ls 460 now , as the '08's coming off the ships are $ 900 MORE , and
    have the proven drive train with decent mpg .
    additionally ... the 2008 LS 460 is bullet proof , and overcame the 2007 shortcomings .
    -------
    RECCOMEND : THE MARK LEVINSON OPTION ...( the satellite - xm - is true to life sound ) .
    --------------
    mitchell rowe
  • mheni1mheni1 Posts: 41
    I have GPS DVD version 0.5.1 in my '06 LS 430. Is there a more current version? Thanks.
    Yes, I think it's called the Garmin Nuvi series, available at Costco.
    He's funny, isn't he? The Garmin is a wonderful product actually, but I'd rather not have the unit velcroed to the top of my dash when my car comes equiped with a navigation system as good as the Lexus has.

If you haven't bought an upgrade yet, 7.1 is now available. Looks like you're a couple behind.

eBay Guides - Lexus Navigation Update DVD's and Hard DrivesLexus Navigation Update Date Version 07.1 is now available for purchase. The next tenatively scheduled Navigation Update Version 08.1 is to be released 4th ...

reviews.ebay.com/Lexus-Navigation-Update-DVD-apos-s-and-Hard-Drives_W0QQugidZ100- 00000004085713?ssPageName
    I have an "06 LS 430 with nav system. On a recent hot, humid day the a/c stopped working for an hour and then started up again. When it started again it would not automatically switch from outside air to recirculate nor would the air direction vents work. The same thing has happened again. I am taking car to local dealer in the next week or so. Anything input on problem ID and solution (s). Thanks.
  • mikeyinmomikeyinmo Posts: 9
    My low-mileage '99 LS400 will be going in to the dealer this month for it's 90K service, which will include opening her up and replacing the timing belt, water pump, etc.

Any thing else I should have the dealer look for while the whole front end is torn apart?

Appreciate your collective advice and I REALLY appreciate our hosts, Pat and Karen.

Mike in SE Missouri
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Thank you Mike!! We appreciate the forum and all the helpful information everyone posts!!

:)
    It sounds as if the evaporator may have gotten too cold and froze up.

Did you still have good/strong airflow from the system during the early part of that hour or so...??

If not then the airflow was being blocked by the iced over evaporator.

There is a thermistor mounted right against the downstream side of the evaporator so the ECU will/should never drive the evaporator temperature below freezing. But, believe me, it does still happen.

The HVAC firmware, as a remedial/recovery measure, may prevent the use of the recirculate mode or the floor/footwell airflow modes until the next time teh ignition is switched on.

I have only had the LS400 A/C shut down in the manner you describe, once in our 92 LS400 while traveling west out of Helena MT, and then in my brother's 92 LS400 traveling north into OR from the mountainous regions of northern CA.

While I suspected evaporator freeze up in both instances I did not think to check for airflow on either occasion. So the A/C shutdown may have been the result of the extra climbing load on the engine and therefore coolant "threatening" to overheat.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    Willard, you are amazing. You know more about these cars than any "professional" at the dealership. And especially for an electronics guy -- truly amazing.

Thanks for your contributions.

Renny
  • bpolicebpolice Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 LS400 with 209k on it. I have a slight engine skip when speed is held steady between 40 and 50mph. No skip at any other speed. I used fuel injector cleaners, use only premium gas and really follow all maintenance schedules. Any advice, suggestions?
    Thanks for input. My Lexus dealer was unable to replicate the problem but as a "courtesy" replaced practically all a/c parts and I have had no problem since the repair work. I think this probably demonstrates one of the values of dealing with the same people over a long period of time--8 years.
    My thanks also to those that run this "chat".
  • I recently purchased an '06 LS430 and while washing it this weekend noticed that 2 of the wheels are peeling. Has anyone else experienced this and what can I do to restore the finish?
    I have a 2001 LS430 with 79k miles. I purchased 7yr/100k warranty. Warranty runs out mid Nov and I want to make sure that all items that need repair under warranty are identified and corrected.
    I'm not mechanically inclined. Am going to take car to local Lexus dealer and ask him to check out thoroughly.
    Will appreciate your thoughts on items/concerns to pay particular attention to during this Lexus checkout. Thanks so much for your input.
    Be prepared for the timing belt change required at 90,000 miles - that'll be coming at you. Otherwise, there isn't anything special you need to do to this car besides routine maintenance.
    I have five 91-92(3)-95 LS400's in my realm of control/influence and ALL well over 150,000 miles and still running strong. Only one, the '95, has had the timing belt changed and that was done inadvertently.

And any Lexus dealer worth their salt (wanting to transfer more funds from your account to theirs) will insist on replacing the water pump (absolutely NEEDLESSLY) at the same time.
    I believe you - but what happens to that engine when one DOES break? Isn't that an interference engine and running out of time is devastating to the valves if your timing belt jumps or breaks? Am I wrong? :sick:
    When you have a sudden flat, tire blowout, there is ALWAYS the potential for loss of control and an accident TOTALING the car, or worse. But do you PREVENTIVELY install new tires, replacing perfectly serviceable ones, every XXX miles to reduce the potential...??

But the answer is that while I don't really think so the fact is I don't know if "my" generation of LSes has interference engine.
    But do you PREVENTIVELY install new tires, replacing perfectly serviceable ones, every XXX miles to reduce the potential...??

Actually yes, sort of. I won't run a set of tires more than about 4 years or 50,000 miles, even if the tread looks good still. Between the heat damage of the SouthWest, and just how many times the tire should flex before it becomes potentially unstable, I figure it's best to change 'em out. I think Firestone proved my point a few years ago. To avoid devastation of that engine, you bet, I'll change it out at the recommended interval.