Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think I would just drive it until something big breaks and then walk away. The car owes you nothing---you're riding for free in that respect. But no, I wouldn't invest any large sums of money in the car beyond basic maintenance and safety requirements.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "...I then turn up the heat to get the (engine coolant) temp down.."

Or you could turn the heat down......

Why suffer..?

Purchase/install a manual coolant flow shutoff valve at Home Depot to block all coolant flow to the heater core (disabling the climate control's reheat "path"). Thereby increasing the A/C operating efficiency dramatically. Improved FE and less heat load on the engine cooling system.

By 2001 Lexus had C-best options that allowed the driver to disable the A/C indefinitely, a good procedure throughout the wintertime period.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter wants to talk with someone who is deciding between a new Lexus, BMW and/or Mercedes. Please email pr@edmunds.com asap with your daytime contact info, your city and state, and the vehicle models currently under your consideration.
  • bigsteinobigsteino Member Posts: 1
    How do you remove the back seat to replace the subwoofer? One person said to go thru the trunk and that doesn't seem to work. Can you tell me how to get the seat out?
    I haven't yet had to replace the rear shelf speaker but I'm very certain it can be, must be, done from inside the trunk.
  • chestercountychestercounty Member Posts: 5
    Go to this link.
    link title

about one or two pages down you will find rear sub removal steps w/pics.

It is what I used.
  • poajrpoajr Member Posts: 4
    Recently purchased a Certified 2005 LS-430 in great condition. The only issue with it is the driver seat cushion seemed to be relatively uncomfortable as compared to my prior 1991 & 1997 LS-400s. I assumed it was because the prior owner was very heary and so I had the seat cushion replaced. It still seems very hard and relatively uncomfortable. Does anyone else have an opinion on the front seat comfort of their 2004-2006 LS? It does have the Lux package with the upgraded interior and I'm assuming that doesn't change the seat cushion just the leather (which is in good shape) thanks!
    Hmmm..."comfort" is somewhat of a subjective thing, so you might have to go to an upholsterer to get exactly what you need. Is it just the firmness or is it maybe that the seat size just doesn't conform to your body (seat sides jab you, or you have no, or too much, support on the thighs, or ???)

Visiting Host
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I haven't seen anything about the 430, but there's a discussion called Lexus LS 460 seats in which several others have made the same sort of comments about the seat being very hard & uncomfortable. I wonder whether it's the same seat?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I'm comparing it to both of my prior LS-400s. They were much softer and to me, far more comfortable. As this is a luxury car built for a quite, smooth ride I would have expected the seats to minimally be on par with my LS-400s. It really is far too firm in my opinion and I'm wondering what other owners of this car think to get a basis of comparison. I've looked at the schematics of the seats and don't see anything other than the cushion that would drive the softness of the seat such as springs that would support the cushion, it's just feels hard. When I spent the $$ to get it replaced I was hoping for much more. Love the car otherwise...
  • zidge7zidge7 Member Posts: 2
  • zidge7zidge7 Member Posts: 2
    I believe the eject is not working. Is there a way to manually remove a disc?
  • 2005ls4302005ls430 Member Posts: 1
    mikez511,

Did you ever figure out what the I/O button does? I bought a 2005 Lexus LS430 a few months ago and I have a similar button that is mounted by the drive side right knee. It wasn't in the manual, so I assumed it must be an aftermarket thing. I thought that mine might have been an on/off switch for an external subwoofer amp that has been removed, but I am not sure. I had given up on it until I saw your post. Let me know if you have any ideas of what yours does and maybe mine is wired for the same thing. Thanks!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I loved the seats in my 05 LS, much better than the ones in my 02 LS. BUT, I really love the seats in my 09 LS460! The 400 had a Mercedes style seat, heavily sprung and tilty. If this is your preference, Mercedes doesn't use them anymore either. You can't make your 05 like those old ones. They just aren't made that way anymore.
    If you can't remove it with needle nose pliers, it will need to be taken apart, and you will probably need a stereo shop to do that.
    Thanks for your response. I have found a more comfortable position based on the feedback of posts in this forum from a few years ago. Tilting the seat forward a bit and retracting the lumbar support all the way has made it much better but I still would have expected more as it relates to the overall comfort of the seat bottom.
  • rrsafetyrrsafety Member Posts: 38
    I'm very excited at the opportunity to get a LS 400 from Florida with just 45,000 miles on it. Truly one of those "little old lady to church on Sundays" type situation. It will be my first luxury car ever (even though its 12 years old).

I've not driven a rear wheel car in ages and live outside of Boston so I can get tons of snow. Will it handle okay in snowy conditions?
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Yes, if you invest in good snow tires.
    Good snow tires account for maybe 50% of "snow success" (snows on all 4 wheels I mean), driver is worth 25% and the car worth another 25 %, IMO.
    I have driven LS's for 18 years in the snow. 4 snow tires are a must, Blizzak or Michelin Ice work well and throw a couple of tubes of sandbags in the trunk to add weight over the rear wheels. It makes a big difference. Then go practice a little in different conditions. It can be fun too!
  • macdawgmacdawg Member Posts: 6
    Snow tires are a must. I learned that after I spun out at 60 on the freeway, and miraculously managed not to hit anything. Not sure about the sand bags, but I run studded snow tires and they do the job.
    On the really slippery stuff, icy surface or hard packed snow, I find that "summer only" tires provide more surface contact area and therefore often exceed the performance of almost any winter specialty tire. On the "loose" stuff the winter specialty tire comes out ahead but not so much that sensible driving doesn't compensate.

But I do ALWAYS keep a set of quick and easy install tire chains to put on the rear when needed.
    Well on ice nothing works except studs or chains. And if the ice is really bad, nothing works period.

Snow tires are only good when there is actually snow. If it's 1/4 inch hardpack, I suppose a good sticky rain tire would be all right.
    In my extensive experience, the early LS Sedans did not handle the snow really well. It has traction control, but it was fairly inefficient at driving you out of the snow, ice or up a slippery hill, or away from a frozen curb. Not sure why, but don't expect the same level of performance you get from the rest of what the car does, from the traction in snow. I'm not sure if the newer ones are any better or not, but the old ones weren't stellar.
    Our '92 LS400 is approaching 300K miles and driven correctly does fine on snow covered roadbed....provided you turn TC OFF.

IMMHO TC on a RWD or R/awd vehicle is only good for warning the driver of slippery roadbed conditions for which otherwise one would not, might not, be aware.
  • seagrassseagrass Member Posts: 1
    My fuel gauge reads empty with the light on even when the tank is full. Also the info related to fuel: avg mph, distance left, tank mpg, etc does not display values. One other tidbit ... I have a "HEIGHT HI" light when the car is off ... I don't have the electronic suspension system option on this car. I would imagine that all models were wired for the option so I guess I have a short some where. Help.
    Could be two things going on, electrical issues, and a bad fuel pump float in the tank that is stuck on empty. Or both. First, I would power down the car by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, and then reconnect. This has the effect of rebooting the system in the car. If that makes no difference, then you may need a new Hi-Low switch, and a new fuel pump to fix these problems. Good luck!
    Many thanks for taking the time to post that.

Visiting Host
    My '95 LS400 has 253,000 miles on it, would you say changing the fuel filter is past ude..?
    Why, you sound almost proud. :P

What does your owner's manual say is the interval?
    1995 LS400, 254,000 miles, just drove 815 miles, mostly at or above 75MPH....

25+ MPG.

Impressive, impressed.
  • lexusslolexusslo Member Posts: 2
  • lexusslolexusslo Member Posts: 2
    I have a LS430 for 10 years now. Just passed 485.000 km (300.000 miles) with no engine problem whatsoever. The only thing changed were two sensors in exhaust system. Regular change of chain every 150.000 km. Engine runs smooth as the first day. What can I expect in terms of life time of the engine.?ors in exhaust system and chane every 150.000 km. What can I expect in future? Any experience with more miles on LS430?
    You never know with high mileage engines. They are, at this point, like 80 year old men playing tennis... You've already beaten the statistical odds for the engine, due to your good care, so just take it as far as it goes. You're in unchartered territory at this point and it's totally unpredictable.
    Engine should be fine for north of 400,000, but those transmission clutches....
  • slexy1slexy1 Member Posts: 38
    I haven't posted here in years, but have enjoyed the info Edmunds emails me, like wwest's 400,000 estimate of engine life. I certainly like that estimate, wwest, as I have a 1990 LS400 with only about 180,000 on it, and a 2001 LS430 with 148,000 miles on it.

My question for you, or anyone here, is this. If you change the transmission fluid (I'm talking about a partial change as most mechanics do) every 30,000 miles at what mileage do you start to see problems with the transmission clutches? Both my car's trani's are fine, so far, but I never pull any heavy weight, and have a combination of city/hwy driving. Thanks.
    IMMHO the condition of the ATF, other than extreme, will have very little to do with the clutch wear rate.
    The real enemy of automatic transmissions is *heat*.
    There are, were, only 2 "real" HEAT generating components in an automatic transmission, the ATF gear type pump, and the torque converter turbine "pump".

As of around 2000 the ATF pump no longer works against "constant" full line pressure, real time control, only supplies high pressure as/when "commended", mostly only during shifts.

Modern day 6(10) speed automatics spend more road time, dramatically so, bypassing the torque converter via the lockup clutch than otherwise.

So, actual clutch surface frictional wear is now coming to the forefront for determining transmission service life.
    well what better source of heat than "friction"?

Actually *load* has a bearing on heat, too (no pun intended). This is why, for instance, many modern automatics are forbidden to go into overdrive until a certain temperature is reached, and also why modern trucks often have a "tow" button, so that you don't tow in overdrive.
  • slexy1slexy1 Member Posts: 38
    Wwest, you had an estimate of 400,000 miles for the engine life, can you or anyone give me an estimate of automatic transmission life on my 1990 and 2001?
    Thanks.
    Friction only comes into the equation during clutch engagement when "slippage" is present, but then the torque converter "absorbs" much of the gear change "shock". IMMHO shifting simply doesn't occur often enough for frictional heat to be an issue.

I have always thought that not going into OD initially was to allow the catalyst to get up to operational temperature sooner.
    I'm guess that my '95 LS now at 250K+ will require a transmission overhaul by 300K. Except for $$$ it probably could use one now.
    edited July 2011
    Seems to me driving in OD with a cold engine would heat the engine up faster but not in a good way. OD puts a lot of load on an engine, this very high gearing. But you may be right--I think Lexus does this on the RX so that *everything* gets up to operating temperature nice and easy.

As for a transmission, I do think heat is enemy #1; this is why trans coolers are mandatory on "towing packages".
  • 1stavy1stavy Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2011
    I just reached 406K miles! Replaced the radiator 40k miles ago, replaced the exhaust at 300k, alternator, fuel pump prior to 300k. Original tranny and engine. 50k yearly commute with 160miles daily highway for last 6-7 years. Looking at 09 Avalon Ltd in next two months and will leave the LS400 for my kid to drive as her first car.
  • lz4004lz4004 Member Posts: 37
  • lz4004lz4004 Member Posts: 37
    Where can i get rear coil springs?

Thanks.
    There are several sites on line that sell these pretty reasonably. Installing them is the hard part.....
    Wrecking yard.
  • blacklx1blacklx1 Member Posts: 10
    Looking at a '92 LS with about 127K miles. While in Park, the car revs up just fine, but while driving it on the hwy, and the pedal on the floor, it won't go past 2,000 RPM. What could be causing this? It also has a power steering leak. Are there any common issues I should look out for? Thanks!