Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• mikey1atlmikey1atl Member Posts: 8
    Good morning all!

I thought I would give everyone an update on the issues I have with my 2003 Volvo S60 2.4T. I finally got into the dealership yesterday about the following issues.

1. Transmission jerks when shifting between first and second and second and third. To the point that you head jerks against the headrests. This is when you are driving at slower speeds, like between stop lights. Also, it tends to hesitate off the line and during the same slower acceleration speeds. Well, they tell me that they "all do it" and that there is nothing that can be done!!

2. When the a/c compressor kicks in it makes a rattling sound that is loud enough to be heard over talk radio! Once again they tell me that they "all do it" and there is nothing that they can do.

3. I mentioned to them that I already have creaking sounds in the car and that it seems to be very noisy when driving. I tend to hear the engine buzzing at lower revs rather than a hum like most. You can guess what they said.

4. I have once again having a steering issue now where you have to hold the wheel to the left when accelerating at slower speeds. It tracks straight, just on the line you have to hold it or loose it! They "forgot" to check it but I suspect that they felt it was normal.

Anyway, these are repeated issues that I have had on my car of only 5800 miles since November. My next step is to start climbing the ladder in the dealership, already to the service mgr who tells me there is nothing he can do. They tell me that they will bring it up to the Volvo field tech next time he is in whenver that is. I am tired of this already and am going to be proactive on getting this resolved. I am very frustrated and contrary to the raves I see on this post about how wonderful of a product Volvo is, I am not at all pleased.

So, any suggestions or comments of what I should do and if anyone has had similar experiences either with their S60 or another model, let me know! Thanks!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    do you only have one dealership accessible to you?

Just a general point (and nothing personal towards the above poster), but I find it odd when people get so mad at one service department but always seem to deal with the same person and dealership and never do anything more about it. My wife works with a girl who is having major issues with her Prelude. She repeatedly goes back to the same dealership and gets no satisfaction. She also has said "well, next time I'll.... " C'mon! If I get turned away just once at a dealership when I KNOW something is wrong with my vehicle, I take my business elsewhere.

Let me put it this way, when you stick your finger in an electrical socket and get zapped, do you keep sticking your finger in that socket thinking things might change??

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hi! Good idea to post 1121, but my issue is that though I have several Volvo dealers in my market, they aren't at all convenient to get to. As anyone who lives here in Atlanta would tell you, traffic in this town is horrible and already I am fighting it just to get to the dealer that I bought it from. I suppose, that might be a good next step though, I agree.

My big question is to those who own this product, is this normal for this model? If so, is this normal for Volvo?

Thanks!
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    Based on personal experience with six Volvos ranging from 850 Series, to 70 Series to 80 Series, to 60 Series, the car is a very well put together car. However, dealerships are another matter entirely. Volvo tracks Customer Satisfaction (CSI) by dealer and just within the northern California region, the CSI ranges from high 90s (extremely satisfied) to low 60s (extremely unsatisfied). It sounds like there is a similar demographic pattern in the Atlanta area. Unfortunately, since the dealerships are individually owned and operated, if you have a bad experience at one dealer, you will need to take your business elsewhere (even if it means driving further/longer).
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Then sign the petition at:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/vs4ds100/petition.html
    so far, there are 87 signatures. Add yours and maybe Volvo will build the car. Also join in on the Volvo S100 conversation under Future Vehicles.
  • redfive2112redfive2112 Member Posts: 15
    Sorry to hear about your issues. I agree with Qbrozen and Volvofan- sounds like it's time to try another dealer.

Concerning the issues you are having, I'm closing in on 13,000 miles on a 2002 S60 2.4T and can assure you they do not "all do that".

Again, sorry to hear of your troubles and I hope you find satisfactory resolution soon.

-Scott
  • pegleggerpeglegger Member Posts: 40
    I have the exact same questions/concerns as rqc (post 1119). The difference for me is that I've already ordered the car. The dealer where I bought mine has not had any automatics come in yet, and even the manuals have been out the door within hours of receiving, so I haven't even test driven any S60Rs. Of course, all of the articles are based on the manual, but I have to have an auto. Guess I'll post in September after I return from Sweden as part of the Overseas Program. They are making a big deal out of the S60R Overseas Program (only 20 people get in this year), but it costs $3,900 over the price of the car. Includes Business Class Airfare, four nights in a suite, tour, dinners, etc. and a couple of hours at the proving grounds (my real interest).

I'll let you know how it goes, but I am very curious about the automatic performance. Part of me wonders if I should have purchased the T5 in auto, but it's too late now.
  • milbill2003milbill2003 Member Posts: 1
    I have purchased a 2004 S60 T5 through the Diplomat program and will pick it up in Canada in Aug 03. I have never even seen or driven an S60 but purchased because of previous good experience as a Volvo owner. I have seen posts on the 2004 warranty program which I understand will be provided free of charge. As I currently live in India I am not able to get much information on the program, can anybody tell me if the free warranty program applies to Canada. I am very excited about returning to Canada next month and to try out this car.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    I can tell you this: based on the test drive I took in the S60R manual, it will be hard not to like it. Really impressive handling and acceleration. I'd just like to spend some more time with the car to get a better sense of the Engine smoothness and daily driving handling. I sensed some front-end heaviness in daily driving mode. Magazine reviews have dinged the engine for being unrefined at high revs, but I didn't notice because I was too busy focusing on other thngs.
  • haypennyhaypenny Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an S60 T5 and was wondering where the car was actually put together. Are all Volvos imported from Sweden, or are some built in the states?
  • californimuscalifornimus Member Posts: 2
    My new S60T is really nice to drive. I have had the 5000 miles verification done but I go to my regular garage. I have known the mechanics there for some years.

Problem: the message center in the dash board shows "time for service" message and they have no idea how to get rid of the message. I have searched the web and looked in the book but have yet to find the magic trick ! Does anyone know how to clear the message permanently ?

JR
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
  • matluomamatluoma Member Posts: 18
    Anyone have a good recommendation on a LATCH style car seat. I'mm looking for front facing, easy on the leather, and preferrably one that matches 2003 Graphite interior?

Also is there LATCH in all 3 positions in the rear seat - or - just in the outboard positions. I noticed rear anchors at all 3 spots, just didn't see if there are Lower Anchors @ all 3.

Thanks
    Mat
  • nickp48nickp48 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone gotten a 2004 S60 for under MSRP yet? I went to a dealership last weekend, and they refused to go below MSRP. I'm wondering how long it will take before they will be willing to deal.
    As far as I know, this can not be eliminated "permanently." Plus, you will most likely need to take it to the dealership to get it reset. There are some years with reset procedures that you can perform, but I don't know what year yours is. On my 98 S70, I'm S.O.L. and need to have the dealership reset it. Yet the '99 does have a reset procedure.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• californimuscalifornimus Member Posts: 2
    My S60T is a 2003 model. I find this very painful. Every time I start the car, the message for maintenace shows up and I have to delete it. I have email Volvo customer support but have yet to receice an answer.

If I cannot reset it.... I will write to the company. This is a Bad design !
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    californimus, I hope you realize that everytime your car has scheduled maintenance at a Volvo dealership it is connected to a mainframe in Sweden and software upgrades and patches specfic to your VIN # are downloaded. If your regular garage doesn't have the VADIS interface you might end up paying a lot more for your independent service than you would at a dealership.

I did read last night about an indy Volvo garage with VADIS so perhaps it is becoming more affordable? Either way, find out if your indy shop has the proper interface (I doubt they do as they were even able to turn off the service interval reminder which I think can be done with a couple of different tools I've seen at the dealerships.)

It's a shame that we have to be so tethered to the dealerships these days with the number of computers in these cars. I look forward to the day where a standard emerges for these Closed Area Networks making it more affordable to go to any indy shop for basic maintenance and repairs.

-rollie
    [email protected]

'99 S80 T6 (for sale)
    '01 V70 T5 (lease return shortly)
    '04 XC90 T6 (as soon as I can find it)
    '04 S60R (as soon as I can find it assuming I don't wait to see what the 'Volvo Sports Car' will be)
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    Try this:
    1) Turn ignition key to position I
    2) Press and hold the trip odometer reset button and wait for the odometer to reset to zero
    3) Without letting go of the reset button, turn the key to position II and then wait for the odometer to show the mileage it was at previously
    4) Once the odometer has returned to the previous mileage, release the reset button
    5) Turn key to off position and then start car.
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    We have two Britax car seats - the Marathon and the Roundabout. The Marathon is LATCH and can be both forward or rear facing. I would highly recommend either of these Britax seats.

As for which seating positions are LATCH - only the outboard seats. The middle seating position does not have any LATCH anchors. What you are probably noticing are the two inner anchors from the two outer positions.
  • shockfushockfu Member Posts: 3
    heard dealers are giving 2000-3000 dollar discounts on last years models.
  • mikebinokmikebinok Member Posts: 5
    On July 4 I purchased a 2003 S60 2.4T that had been used as a demonstrator. It had less than 5100 miles on it and came with leather seats, moonroof, and the climate package. MSRP was US$34,205, I bought it for US$27,400. I may not have got the absolute best price, but certainly there are some deals out there. Thought that might be of interest to someone else negotiating for a car.

Mike B. in OKlahoma
    I declined an extended warranty for my S60 (described in the previous message), but will have an opportunity to change my mind when I pick up my car Monday. I'm interested in any input about how desireable the warranty is, especially versus third-party ones.

My car will spend most of its parking time in an enclosed garage, and I walk to work, so it will get about 6,000 miles per year, mostly highway. The dealer was asking (nonprecise quotes from memory here) about $1800 for a seven year warranty with a $50 deductible, and about $1200 for a seven year warranty with $200 deductible. The car was used as a demonstrator starting about five months ago, so that will come off of any warranty. Any input is appreciated.

Mike B. in OKlahoma
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Most S60's are built in Ghent Belgium
    The S80 and XC90 are built at Torslanda outside Gothenburg
    The C70 is built at Uddevalla Sweden
    The S40's are built at Born, Netherlands.
    The 2005 S/V 40's will be built at Ghent.

The 11th digit in your VIN tells you the cars origin.
    1 = Torslanda
    2 = Ghent
    F = Born
    J = Uddevalla
    Mike, the extended warranty sold by Volvo is still underwritten by a third party insurance company. So, even if you went with the Volvo extended warranty, it would not be a true "factory" extended warranty such as what GM offers with the GM Protection Plan.

The real decision point for any extended warranty purchase decision is how much protection do you want from repairs that occur outside of the original factory warranty (4 years/50,000 miles). Some plans exclude "wear-and-tear" items; others cover wear and tear that is not specifically excluded. Generally speaking, 6,000 miles per year is not excessive wear and the likelyhood of a significant repair occurring before 7 years have lapsed is low. However, there are repairs that could occur which if covered by an extended warranty policy, would pay for the entire cost of the policy. An example would be a leak in the air conditioning evaporator that is inside the car - the repair involves removing the entire dash, which is a non-trivial amount of labor.

The bottom line answer to whether or not to buy extended warranty coverage is the extent to which you would be tolerant of an unexpected repair occurring after the original factory warranty has lapsed. Hope this helps.
  • suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    Don't know if it is actually true, but a Volvo dealer here is advertising their 03 s60s for $7K off and their 02s for $9K or $10K off MSRP, so I guess the s60's not to hot here. I saw a base model @ their store and it was stickered ~$27K and change, so that would be a great deal, seeing as how I'm fairly limited to how much I could spend.

By the way, not really being a huge Volvo fan, although my Dad sure was, that s60R ROCKS! And the price is amazing for what you get, 300hp and AWD starting ~$37K, WOW.
    Are there really '02 model year Volvos for sale in Dallas? Do you remember any specifics of what was available?
    Well, I meet with Volvo in the morning and the dealership. I had friends in the car on July 4th who own 3 series Bimmers and they concur that the cars tranny is jerky, the a/c's motor is noisy, the wheel does lean to one side when you start from a stop and they noticed the brakes seem to grunt at EVERY stop at slower speeds. I had not noticed that before. Also, the foglight the replaced just last week after only 5000 miles is now out again. It was going off and on before, but out for good now after they replaced the harness and bulb.

What I am hoping for, and forgive me Volvo loyalists. I am hoping that they get me out of this car and this brand completely. I doubt if that will happen, but I will never be happy with this car and with all the problems most likely not happy with the brand, sorry!

I will let you all know what happens!
  • zeldawriterzeldawriter Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm new to this board, but I just wanted to share my Volvo buying experience. I have looked at many cars online over the past few years, and had finally narrowed my choices down to the Camry LE and S60. I really loved the Camry, had no complaints about it at all, except that it was hard to get to the seat controls in the front, and I found it extremely difficult to find one in the state of OK with all the options I wanted. (plus the dash was a bit cheesy.) The kicker was when I told the salesman I was pre-approved for financing. All of a sudden there were 3 vultures on me at once pushing me to go with dealer financing. I left that dealership and went to the Volvo/Mercedes dealership in OKC. The salesman not only let me drive the S60 alone, but he didn't push at all when it came to financing. This was a used 2002 S60 2.4 and I got it for under 25K. Has the climate and premium packages on it too. There were a few minor things I brought to the attention of the salesman, and they fixed them promptly. I would have been happy with the Camry, and yes I spent a little more than I planned to, but the way I was treated made all the difference. I did have an independent Volvo mechanic look it over before I made an offer. Dealership was very cooperative with giving me all books and records too. Now what remains to be seen is how I am treated when I have any issues with the car down the road. I did get a 6 yr/100k warranty on it, which means I have about 81K left on it. And it was a Volvo warranty, not 3rd party. So overall yes I'm very happy with my experience. I could have saved about 4K by buying a new Camry, but I don't spend my money where I'm not treated right.
  • suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    I didn't actually see any 02 models on the lot, but they have a bunch of cars in the back lot, so I'm sure they might have a few. They are probably cars w/ manual trannys or non popular colors or base models or something like that. I would be willing to get a 02 for 10K off, as long as they warranty it as a new car. They also have s40s and s80s advertized w/ hugh discounts, according to their website.
    If the car has not been placed in service yet, then the warranty period (4 years/50,000 miles) starts from the date you buy it (place it in service). Just my opinion, but if you can find a 2002 model year car that is equipped the way you want it, $10K off 2002 MSRP is a pretty good deal.
    Hello, Zeldawriter--
    I had almost the same experience as you--Was looking at Camry LEs, and could not find one equipped like I wanted. I wanted certain equipment (mainly side airbags) and the dealers either gave up when I wasn't interested in their instock cars, or tried to sell me at MSRP a 2003 car transferred from another dealer. Made the Volvo look a lot more affordable, especially when I heard about the incentives on 2003 cars. I also went to the Volvo dealership in OKC (on Thursday) and missed the two holdover 2003s they had on their website--Will (I believe that was his name) told me about the two 2002 certified cars they'd be getting in Saturday morning, but I ended up finding and buying a 2003 demonstrator in Tulsa this Friday. Just picked it up today. I'd agree that at both the OKlahoma Volvo dealerships I visited, I was treated well overall. Though while driving home to OKC, when the midday glare died down, I realized that they hadn't cleaned the windows on my demo Volvo! Oh well, I can take care of that this weekend....

For anyone who is on the edge, based on my experience, I certainly would look very hard at the 2002 or 2003 cars now. Good deals out there.

Mike B. in OKlahoma
    Well, met with the Volvo tech. today. They are telling me that my issues with the transmission jerking between 1 & 2, and 2 & 3 are normal for my car. The a/c compressor grunting and clattering when engaged could be worse. My steering issue is something related to torch steer, though I have told them that is on SLOW acceleration, not when the turbo is jumped on! Anyway, there excuse this morning is that cars and like people and no two operate the same. My answer to that is what am I supposed to do as a consumer, go out and test drive every S60 2.4T on the lot to find the one that runs just right!! (sorta like Goldi Locks and those bears) They are going to do something with the a/c, but they said only if I assure them that my expectation will not be that it will be as quiet as the other 2003 I drove this morning not exhibiting the clattering and growling.

The story is, unless I get some satisfation with this product as my next step is the GM of the Dyer and Dyer (dealer) , a rep. of Sonic Automotive (the owner)and then on to Volvo Corp., I would NEVER recommend an S60 or a Volvo for that matter. I have had numerous cars, but never had one with such disregard to the customer, just telling me that a car is a machine and get over it!!
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    I think you are going about this the wrong way. Your problem is with the dealership, not the car or manufacturer it seems. If I were you I would RUN AT WARP SPEED to another dealer and never step foot in Dyer and Dyer again. You've obviously uncovered either a callous or incompetent dealer. Take your business elsewhere. Call a place or two and explain your issue with your car and your desire to transfer your service business to a more customer oriented dealership. I bet when you arrive you'll be pleasantly surprised by the difference (it may only be a Hawthorn effect if your second dealer is a clod as well though) - just make sure you remove any dealership specific badges / license plate frames first.

Good luck.

-rollie
    [email protected]
  • chef228chef228 Member Posts: 12
    Well I bought the above car and picked it up last Monday. Yesterday, the driver's front window failed. First it would only go down part way then it came off of the track and I had to drive with it partly open and askew. I immediately brought it to the dealer and they told me the motor was defective and that it would be replaced. Today, the steering wheel radio controls stopped working. Both issues are to be taken care of tomorrow. Two problems in one week of ownership. Are these just minor problems or bad signs? How concerned should I be?
    Rollie, I would have thought it was just a dealer issue except that today it wasn't the dealer telling me that cars (Volvos) are like people and no two of them are the same. Some our louder than others, etc. Told me in regard to my complaints that is they way they are and I should just realize that they are only machines. This was coming from the Volvo Tech Rep. which the Customer Service agent at Volvo corp. told me is the "last word" on this issue. I asked him if he was telling me that this Tech makes the decision that I as a consumer should rather than getting my concerns addressed, should go out and use every method possible to bad mouth Dyer and Dyer and Volvo for the next 3.5 years left on my lease? If he was telling me that this one man, makes that decision? He told me that was not what he said, but since this Tech makes policy for Volvo NA, then I should expect nothing to change unless he says it should. He also told me the only way to get my concerns addressed to my satisfaction is, (get this) to write the PRESIDENT of Volvo NA, that is the only person left that might be able to make me happy as a consumer. No, not a dealer issue, but to me seems to be a company that truly has lost touch to customer service and satisfaction. Even if they only faked working on my car, then thats what they should have done rather than telling me to basically "get over it"!!

My advice, is to think long and hard before you buy a Volvo. If Corp. makes such statements and tells a customer the only way to get a situation fixed is to write the President of the company, something is very wrong! There are way too many great cars out there to put up with this bull!
    Run for the hills, becuase if you experience gets worse it will have to go to corp. and if history repeats itself you will be told to "get over it", its a machine, expect problems!!!
  • ptrekkerptrekker Member Posts: 51
    >>This was coming from the Volvo Tech Rep. which the Customer Service agent at Volvo corp. told me is the "last word" on this issue.

Where I come from, we address the person who has the last word as "Your Honor."
    You always have the option of litigation as ptrekker aludes to with the reference to "Your Honor". However, based on what you have relayed as your experience to date, I doubt that someone with the title of "Your Honor" will be motivated to order a complete refund of your purchase price.

What is missing is a good faith effort to work to resolve the problems that you have encountered. There has been a certain amount of spleen venting, but not much work toward resolution of problems. For example, how many times has the car been to any dealer for resolution of the various problems? As rollie points out, have you tried going to another dealer to attempt a resolution?

You are going to need such a paper trail (as opposed to heresay - which is where you are presently at) before anyone with the title of Your Honor is going to seriously consider ordering a refund of your purchase price. While my comments are NOT to be construed as ANY form of legal advice, I would make sure that all communication to get resolution of your problems from here forward is in writing. If you get a telephone call, follow it up with a written summary of what you understood the caller to be saying. (If it is not in writing, it didn't happen.) You will be amazed at the degree to which attention gets focused on resolution of your problems when the letter writing campaign gets started.

Also, I would think twice (or more) about bad mouthing Volvo. Ford Motor Company can afford more legal fees than you can. The line between expressing frustration and slander/libel is somewhat grey - stick to resolution of your problems, you are on stronger legal footing there. Again, NONE of my comments are to be construed as legal advice of ANY sort.
  • ptrekkerptrekker Member Posts: 51
     Saying that grunts and jerks are normal and that cars are only machines are pathetic statements. Don't let them scare you into submission. Definitely try another dealer and if no satisfaction/ability to correct the problem, why not contact a lawyer who specializes in lemon law cases? I know zippo about lemon law, but maybe someone who practices in that area can steer you in the right direction.

Don't let avolvofan's layperson [mis]understanding of defamation scare you off. Em is obviously not a lawyer. (Hearsay, not Heresay) If you are worried about ford suing you for defamation, take a look in a legal dictionary for the definition of defamation.
    Well, so far, I would say you just got unlucky with a couple of things. If they keep turning up, then I'd be worried. But, for now, 2 minor issues is really not much to fret over.

I would go elsewhere and state the issues all over again. Don't take a defensive stance. Act like this is the first time you are addressing these issues. Make friends with these people. Who cares what the tech rep said? All it takes is one service person to recognize you have a valid complaint and they will take care of you. They will look in the computer and see you've had your vehicle in for these things. You just say that you got tired of working with the other dealership because they couldn't fix your car. Dealerships compete for business. Another one will try hard to earn you as a customer. I had a similar issue with a Dodge truck I bought many years ago. Had it back to the dealer I purchased it from 3 times (even after a bad purchasing experience) and they kept screwing up the work. Finally took it elsewhere and it was like night and day. The second dealership loved the fact that I came from another dealership and they even said they would lodge a complaint on my behalf.

• leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    The GM's reaction to your problem seems out of character for these guys. I purchased an 850 and an S40 from them in the past and had great service on both cars. The few warranty items that did develop were handled fast without issue.

In May, I purchased a new S60 from Gwinnett Place Volvo(better price than Dyer & Dyer Chamblee)and at 2,000 miles I have had zero issues. I have owned 3 Volvo's, my mother has owned 2 and my stepmother has an S80 now. I mention this because all 6 have been rock solid cars.

The biggest issue we have had is with the AC on one of the S-80's. It was repaired several times and eventually replaced under warranty. The dealership picked the car up from our house (40 miles away), dropped off a loaner car and returned the S-80 to our house after the work was complete. The dealer was Dyer and Dyer, so they are capable of providing excellent customer service.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your new car. I would contact Volvo Corporate directly and let them pressure the dealer into resolving your problem. I know it is frustrating, but all new cars have their kinks. Bashing Volvo's product due to poor response from an individual dealer is misguided.IMO

Please keep us up to date and good luck.
  • dfasulodfasulo Member Posts: 9
    I took delivery of a V70R Geartronic last weekend. Keep in mind that I only have 70 miles on the car, so my impressions aren't complete and I haven't pushed the car hard yet.

So far, I have been very impressed with the GT. Downshifts and power delivery are much more prompt than with the tiptronic in the 99 A4 I am replacing.

Much has been made of the manufacturer's published 0-60 time. Obviously I haven't done my own timed test (but I might once the car is broken in, just to lay the issue to rest). Nevertheless, I can say the car feels fast. In the spirit of breaking the car in, I have tried to keep it under 50% throttle and 4000 RPMs. Okay, that's hard, but I honestly haven't gone past about 60% throttle or 4500 RPMs. Even with this restriction, the car pulls pretty hard and walks away from normal traffic.

My only negative comments are that there is the typical automatic transmission hesitation, and this combined with a little bit of turbo lag can make the throttle hard to modulate. The engine is not as refined as VW/Audi's 2.8L, and there is some coarseness and vibration especially at idle or higher RPMs. That's life with an I5 engine. Some of this is intentional exhaust tuning too.

If you want the most involving, sporty driving experience you can have, go with the 6 speed. Better yet, go with an S2000 or Boxster with a 6 speed. If you want more of a performance luxury feel---something to which I think the Volvo is more suited anyway---you will not be disappointed with the GT.
    just got done reading the review in august's C&D. I think this quote pretty much sums it up:

And keep in mind that for the R's money the only other sedans in the same league are the Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, the BMW 3301 Performance Package, the Cadillac CTS, and the Infiniti G35, all of which would become well acquainted with the R's taillights.

But you did not share your experience regarding the comfort of the seats. In my experience, the seats are the best attribute of the Volvos (although there are many additional reasons to buy a Volvo). With my back being trashed from different auto accidents, the Volvo seats are the only ones that I can sit in for 8 plus hours with no numbness.
    Hello all! First off I really appreciate everyones comments and suggestions on my issues with my car. I am taking them all in and using them in my decision making on how to handle my situation. Just a couple of comments.

As far as deaming this car a lemon under GA law. It would be a fight as it has been commented. If the car was inoperative, then a different story but in my case it is the repeated trips to service for minor annoyances, ie the steering, jerky transmission and noisy a/c compressor. What has me riled up is first the dealer taking little or no action. Also with Volvo North America telling me that it is the nature of the car and though I drove just yesterday another of the same model and it not exhibiting such issues, I as a consumer should not expect that mine should not. Note, the Tech Rep. was with Volvo, not Dyer and Dyer Volvo!

I am not looking for them to buy me out of the car as would happen if it were to be deemed a lemon, but I do expect that either they make my car right or they get me another one. I used to work for a Saab, Audi, Porsche dealer in my younger days and I know it is done, especially when you are dealing with such more expensive product such as Volvo and a client that is as unhappy with his purchase as I am. I just want a vehicle that I can be proud of as I know is attainable. If I just wanted a so so vehicle, I would have saved a lot of money a month in car payments and bought me one of those at tens of thousands less retail! Thanks again for all your comments and beleive me that my intent is not to bash Volvo, but to express my concerns over my purchase. Each of us makes our own minds up when we buy or lease!
  • rocketman5rocketman5 Member Posts: 5
    I can relate to Volvo essentially snubbing their nose at you (see post 1017). Volvo has made no effort to find a solution to my unhappiness with my car. Despite several letters to my dealer, who has supposedly opened a case file on my car, I have gotten no resolution yet. I am sending a letter to the President of Volvo North America this week. This has been the absolute worst experience I've ever had with any car brand.

The most recent problem is that the brackets holding the trim between the doors and roof (2 on each side) have all rusted. The replacements are on order, but it's just one more problem I've had to deal with.

Good luck working out your problems. Short of a sudden attitude change by Volvo, it looks like I will forever be telling people that in my OPINION, they should avoid Volvo at all costs.
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    I know the 2004 s-60 is already being sold, but I am wondering if there are many 2003 S-60s with the non turbo engine left on the lots? Looking to buy a new car this fall and hoping the rebates and manufactorer support will still be in effect.

Also what is the difference between the 2003 and the 2004? Thanks I'm new to volvo.

Dennis P.
    Rocketmant: Which year is your car and is it a 2.4T? The reason I ask is that in your previous postings you mention the tranny and its hard shifts (my head jerks from the headrest between 1 & 2, 2 & 3) and also the steering. They had to fix mine when I bought it as it howled when you cut the wheel. It was fixed then the front end was out of line. That was fixed then the steering wheel was off-center. Now the steering leans to the left at the start of acceleration. They are saying they will have to look at that on Monday when they do something (the didn't tell me) to the noisey a/c system. Also, my foglights are developing condensation inside the lenses and the right one has failed twice in two weeks. Of course they say that is normal.
  • dfasulodfasulo Member Posts: 9
    My comments were mainly about the GT specifically, but yes, the seats are very comfortable. The leather quality is very good. The only negative is that I'm not too fond of the lumbar knob, and it may take some getting used to the extra large side bolsters and headrests.