Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• rocketman5rocketman5 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 S60 T5, fully loaded, with GT. It is both the best and worst car I've ever owned. I love the way is drives when it's working, but I'm in the service department on too much of a regular basis to enjoy it like I should. This is not what I bought a new Volvo for.
  • jcmoyajcmoya Member Posts: 9
    Each Volvo model is made in a different place.
    Which plant makes the most reliable Volvo?

How reliable the S60’s are? Any report about this?
    In terms of problems, how different are the new productions from the 01's?
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    Volvo does in fact track the statistics that you are commenting on. However, you have a better chance of winning the Lottery in the state where you live than of getting Volvo to release that data. In fairness to Volvo, all manufacturers track the data and none will release the data for public consumption.
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    I have a 2001 S60 and the only problems I have had were a faulty window switch and a couple of burned out tailight bulbs.
  • ryanmillaryanmilla Member Posts: 2
    I have recently joined the message board looking for others who might have had problems with their S60. It seems I have found the right spot.

I have a 2001 S60 and in less than two years with the car I have had three issues that have disabled the car completely.

First, last October, after a short drive, my S60 overheated and spilled out all of its coolant out of nowhere. The car was taken to the dealership and they could not find a problem and therefore was returned to me.

Second, a month later my transmission went out and Volvo had to order another one from Sweden to be replaced.

Finally, 6 months later the car overheated again and Volvo finally found out the cooling fan was bad and now that needs to be replaced. They have told me that cooling fans are on back order.

While I am waiting for this car to be fixed I am talking to Volvo to see if I can get out of my lease. I like the Volvo image and their reputation, but my recent problems are starting to have an affect on my idea of them. I am hoping that these problems are unique to my individual car. Therefore, if I move into another one I am hoping not to have the problems. Am I wrong to think that I should not be having these problems with this car? The reason I spent the extra money for a Volvo was to have a reliable car.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    Sounds like you had just one problem which resulted in these failures. I think there is a very good chance that the overheating is what caused the premature transmission failure. Not necessarily a direct effect, but all that time running hot and the overheating episode most likely helped cook the transmission into early death.

Personally, I would have an issue with a service department that couldn't recognize a faulty fan the first time around. I don't see this as a problem with Volvo or their cars in general. Just my humble opinion.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Ouch! I would tend to agree with qbrozen about the original source of all your problems - the cooling fan. Regardless, the problem occurred. If your car is sitting in the shop, you should have a very good argument for some sort of remedy: a.) loaner car at no charge from Volvo until the repairs are complete, b.) relief from having to make the lease payments until the repairs are complete, or c.) close out the original lease and put you into a new car and a new lease. There may be other alternatives; however, these were what I could think of at the moment. You may be in Lemon Law territory depending on the Lemon Law where you live. In any event, you should not have to suffer from the collateral damage.
    Well, my first thought is, it is a lease. If you had purchased the car, then I would definitely take it further. But since you are leasing, it doesn't matter. The long-term reliability isn't really a factor for you unless you planned on buying the car at the end of the lease. Considering what happened with the tranny, I'd be afraid of the long term effects of all this overheating on the engine itself. But, like I said, you are leasing it. Shouldn't really be an issue for you. Return it after the lease is over and be done with it.

As far as a free loaner. They ARE doing that, aren't they? Heck, I've been getting a free loaner everytime I take my Volvo in for any service (warranty or not) and I bought this Volvo used!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• keithdenalixlkeithdenalixl Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone added rear deck speakers to a base '03 S60M? The stereo sounds great in the front, but is horrible in the rear.
  • sunnydays9sunnydays9 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I'm at my wits end with my car. I purchased it in Dec 2002 & its been in the shop 10 times since then. The radiator needed filling (they said it was an air bubble), the transmission surges into passing gear at 20 mph (they adjusted the "computer" readings twice now), the windshield wipers have needed replacing (twice!) and still squeak, the window (into automatic mode) does up, down & then up, when being closed (this has been fixed twice within 2 weeks!) & the latest is the seat moves when I opn the door with the automatic opener. I was told this was to accommodate my "other driver" who uses that opener. This would be wonderful, should there be another driver. I'm getting no where with Volvo, they say is meets all their computer specifications....I'm tired of computers & want a real mechanic to look at it. I would appreciate any help with this matter...Thanks!
    p.s. I bought it new...8 miles on it after my '97 850 caught fire & burned (another story, but a recall they won't stand behind now...so much for consumer loyalty!)
  • ryanmillaryanmilla Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the hints guys. Its a good point, the overheating may have caused the other problems, I'm just not sure. After talking to the dealership about the backorderd cooling fan I found some interesting information. It seems that the problem that I had with my cooling fan stems from a design flaw in the cooling fan. This cooling fan is in all Volvo models except the S40 and V40. Now whether or not the fan WILL fail is on a case per case basis. The new fan that is on backorder is a redesigned fan, but since they are replacing a few of these things now the demand is pretty high. Therefore, if you notice your car's engine temp rising while you are sitting in traffic or if when you stop in traffic or at an intersection and your AC starts pumping out warm air, I would STRONGLY suggest bringing your car into the dealer and asking them to replace or at least look at your cooling fan.

Luckily, they are giving me a free loaner and they have done that each time I have had to bring the car in (which has been one too many times, unfortunately). I am presently talking with the dealer and Corporate to see if they will buy me out of my lease and move me into another Volvo. As of yet, no response.

Thanks again for the tips.
    thanks for the additional info. guess they feel its too big of a recall to replace all fans on all cars. I hope it doesn't come back and bite them in the end. A widespread failure like yours could have a serious affect on the already smallish volvo customer base.

Or, the collateral repairs (transmission replacement) associated with a failure of the cooling fan.... In volume, the fan may cost Volvo/Ford $20 or so; the labor is a variable based on locale, but maybe $200 parts and labor at max. How much for a blown transmission? I don't know, but certainly more than $200.
    I'm sure the bean counters did their math and figured that a small percentage of catastrophic failures was cheaper than a mandatory recall across the board. They certainly know what they are doing when it comes to figuring acceptable losses. If more transmissions or engine failures turn up, they may change their tune.

• zeldawriterzeldawriter Member Posts: 2
    Hey everybody. I've been reading these posts on problems at dealerships and I can certainly sympathize. I've had trouble at a few myself, like when I went to look at Camrys LOL. MikeB, you said you understood that hehehe...
    Many carmakers like Honda, Toyota, GM, etc. have their dealerships in every city at a dime a dozen, so you'd think they would be clamoring all over each other to sell and retain your business. However, many are only in the business of attracting first time buyers, and not interested in keeping repeat customers. It's very interesting how a salesman can seduce you into buying that one car they really want to sell you and then when you need service, whether it be warranty or otherwise, the dealership could care less. The luxury car market seems to be different to me, at least for now. I like knowing that I have a 6 year warranty and can get a loaner when I need service. (And believe me, if Volvo doesn't live up to what their warranty says I'll be telling them about it!) It's kind of sad that we have to keep taking our business elsewhere just to get good old fashioned customer service. I won't pay (or settle) for anything less or mediocre.
  • mikebinokmikebinok Member Posts: 5
    Recently I bought a dealer demo 2003 S60 (the 2.4 turbo engine). It has Continental ContiTour tires on it. They have little or no wear on them. I notice that in my documents, I have a warranty for Michelin tires.

I'm wondering if my original equipment tires were replaced after the demo period, and how the Continentals compare with the original Michelins. Anyone know the factory stock tires that come on the S60? (I didn't have any of the special wheel or sport options, though my car did have the weather package).

Mike B. in OKlahoma
  • shoelessbenshoelessben Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2004 2.5T with the continentals as standard equipment. My manual had info on the Michelin, Continental and Pirelli. All three are used as standard equipment. As for a comparison, I am not to sure.
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Hello - I am considering on purchasing Volvo parts (i.e. oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc.) and having an independent mechanic (not JiffyLube, Midas, etc.) do the work. I have two reasons - the local Volvo dealer is very far from where I live, and the overall cost should be considerably cheaper to use the independent mechanic.

My questions are: Do you see any issues with this? Should I be concerned about anything in particular?

The car is on lease, and I do not intend on purchasing it past the lease end. However, as far as the service goes, I do intend on upkeeping it (as plan above) to Volvo specifications/recommendations.

Thanks!

Damon
    One reason to consider dealer service - the dealer has a computer system that is used periodically (such as at the 7,500 mile service) to check the car for any faults that have occurred as well as to load any software updates that the factory has released for the specific model and options.
  • peter7777peter7777 Member Posts: 24
    Is it possible to get a 2004 S60 with a two tone instrument panel similar to the following one offered on the S80?

http://www.velocityphotos.com//images/stk/2004/vl2004s8002.jpg

I like the high contrast between the light panel and the dark grey center stack.
    I found the answer to my question in #1190. The S60 does have a similar color combination as seen on page 8 of this pdf brochure:

http://www.volvopalmbeach.com/pdf/2003_S60_Brochure.pdf
  • nickp48nickp48 Member Posts: 16
    I am trying to decide whether to buy a T5 or a 2.5T. I don't necessarily need the extra power, but I'm wondering if you can tell a big difference. Does anyone know if it's really worth the extra money for the T5?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    depends on how big a hotrodder you are.
    You can get the T5 geartronic and sport seats on the 2.5T.
    All your missing is the engine and sport suspension.
    The extra power of the T5 only manifests itself if you flog the engine. Driven normally, the 2.5T feels the same.
    Problem with the T5 is that most of them end up in the $38-40,000 neighborhood and for a little more you can have an R.
  • ptrekkerptrekker Member Posts: 51
    FYI, when I got my Honda there was a Michelin and a Goodyear warranty in there.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    We rarely sell any T5's. The 2.4T has just as much on the low end(if not a little more), and most people just don't use the extra horses. 0-60 the T5 is faster. 0-30 the 2.4T is actually a bit quicker. The R is a much better value than the T5, if you can get one.
    But don't T5s sell for a considerable amount below sticker while the R is at sticker? So this makes the difference larger than the MSRP would dictate, no?

As far as the 2.5, volvomax is exactly right. Unless you are someone who likes to push your car hard (like me), then you don't need to step up to the T5. It is very european in its power delivery (e.g., it runs like a bat outta hell above 50 mph). Its not even a huge jump over the 2.5 in straight line acceleration to normal highway speeds in stock form, but, modifying both models will produce a bigger gap in performance. So, for around town, the 2.5 is more than adequate.

I just test drove an S60 2.4 and a Saab 9-3. I thought that the front visibility was a lot better in the S60 although the 9-3 has a definite "cool factor" that is hard to describe objectively. I was less than thrilled by the turbo on the 9-3. The momentary delay between pedal pressure and acceleration is something that takes a little getting used to. The only disappointment with regard to the Volvo was that I couldn't find any 2003 S60 in my area (Baltimore). Apparently the $5,000 rebate from Volvo to the dealer made them quite attractive.
  • poeti18poeti18 Member Posts: 10
    I am considering the S60 ( vs. Saab 9-3, MB C class). In a S60 long-term test, the authors complained about the relatively wide turning circle.
    Does anyone, who owns a S60 have any experience in that regard? Has that been an issue at all?
    If so, did Volvo make any changes for the 2004 model?
    All comments are welcome.
    Thanks.
    While the turning circle for the S60 is in fact greater than that of the S70 or 850, I personally do not object to it. The only real test is that which you do yourself. If there is a tight turn that you need to negotiate in your future car, try driving the S60 through it. Do the same for each of the other cars you are considering.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    The S60 has a BIG turning circle (42 ft!) and if you live in a city where the design of the roads requires a lot of U-turns to get to where you want to go, it certainly is a hassle. Parking lot navigation could be a bit of a problem also. My car has a 40 ft turning circle and that is my least favorite aspect of it. Still, I'm about to order a S60R. It's that good.
  • mikebinokmikebinok Member Posts: 5
    According to Edmunds, the turning circle on the S60 2.4T is 39 feet on the 2004 model, slightly less on the 2003. So the 2004 is actually slightly worse! I didn't check the S60R or other versions, maybe that is what rqc was writing about when he wrote 42 feet.

Since 1998, I have lived in a high-rise with a rather tight parking garage, tight enough that I actually had scraped a corner twice in my former 1995 Chevy Lumina (no guffaws, please!). I was consciously looking to buy a car that was smaller than the monstrous Lumina, and hopefully had a tighter turning circle.

Anyway, my 2003 S60 2.4t has about a foot smaller turning circle than my old Chevy, and is considerably shorter (twenty inches) and slightly narrower (an inch or so). I find this is enough difference to make navigating the parking garage a lot easier. I have to admit that U-turns are still going to be a sweeping affair, though I haven't done many yet.

If you like the car in other ways, I wouldn't let the u-turn problem bother me.
    Yes, I was referring to the S60R, C&D says the measurement is 42.7 feet!

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_- id=6848&page_number=4
  • jmichaelpjmichaelp Member Posts: 29
    Hi, I looked at this car last year, but was uninspired by the interior quality. How does it compare to the 2003 model? Does it look any more luxurious?

Also, the handling in the 2003 felt loose & sloppy. Have they improved this with sport suspension?

Thanks!
    rqc, per volvocars.com, the turning circle for the S60 line is 39 feet curb-to-curb. I don't know where Car and Driver gets 42 feet. (Perhaps they (Car and Driver) made a mistake?)

As mikebinok comments, turning circle is really specific to ones' own situation. Unless you need to navigate a real tight turn, turning circle should not necessarily be a reason to eliminate the S60.
    I'm about to buy a 2.5T and I'm wondering what makes the bi-xenon headlights different from the regular headlights. Do you think these are a good option to get?
    The turning circle for the S60 is 39 ft; the S60R is 42.7 ft. Probably due to the 18" wheels. Wheels on the S60 range from 15" to 17".
    rqc, per TireRack.com, Pirelli PZero tires at 235/40-18 for the 18 inch wheels (S60R) have a revolutions/mile specification of 799; the Pirelli PZero tires at 235/45-17 for the 17 inch wheels (S60T5) have a revolutions/mile specification of 804. If tire size contributed to the turning circle difference, the specifications would be reversed (e.g. the 18 inch tires would have a revs/mile spec of 804 and the 17 inch tires would spec at 799). However, a difference of 5 revolutions/per mile would not explain a 3 foot larger turning circle.

Typically, a 3 foot difference in turning circle would have to be due to a longer wheelbase (doubtful in the case of the S60R since the baseline body is identical for both the S60 and the R) or to reduced turning geometry of the suspension (possible as a result of the active chassis).

Unfortunately, Volvo has yet to publish turning circle data for the S60R. (And, there is no guarantee of accuracy - check the fine print about specifications being subject to change....)

Intuitively, 42 feet curb-to-curb seems excessive. Heck, my Yukon Denali with a 112 inch wheelbase has a 38 foot curb-to-curb turning circle with 265/70-17 tires. Volvomax, can you shed some light on this?
    I didn't make it up. The specs are posted on the Volvo website. Look at:
    http://new.volvocars.com/r/specs.shtml

You have to scroll down a bit. I don't like that it is 42.7' but it's still an awesome car.
    its certainly not impossible. My wife's Pilot turns much tighter than my S70. I can't make the U on our residential street in the Volvo, but can in the SUV. Go figure.

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    There are 2 reasons for this.
    First, Volvo's are FWD cars w/ long transverse mounted engines.
    Second, wide tires on the S60R.
    The combination means that the front tires can only turn so far, can't turn a full 90 degrees.
    A RWD car, like the old 940/960 could turn its wheels further and therefore turn sharper.
    Sadly, there is no solution for the S60.
    You could install smaller steering stops but then the tires would rub the fender liners.
    I miss small turning circles! When I test drove the G35, the MB 320, and the 330i, one of the things I always did was to get on a two lane road and see if I could do a circle without going off the road. My current car has a turning circle of 40 ft and it's a bother since I live in a city that requires U-turns to get place. (Dumb city planners!)

I was always overjoyed when I could do such tight turns with those cars. However, then I drove the S60R and thought it was the best combination of everything else but the turning circle is huge! Oh well, it must be my destiny.
  • camydogcamydog Member Posts: 64
    As a Volvo owner (2001 V70 T5, 16" wheels), I can tell you that our car has to have a lot of room to make turns. When compared to our 535i BMW the Volvo is a barge in a narrow river. The person that brought up the tire size hit the nail on the head. The larger the tire diameter, and lower Revs per miles, the larger the turning radius. My '95 Yukon will out turn our Volvo wagon but will not out turn other Yukons that don't have oversized off road tires installed.

For those of you that think the T5 is equal to the 2.4T in any way, you are wrong. Our T5 wagon will smoke the S60 2.4T, or 2.5T in all acceleration tests. I will admit that they both have the same electronically limited top speed of 130 MPH.

I live in Germany and have the opportunity to experience the governor occasionally. I enjoy showing my boss and his S60 2.4T who gets to 60, 100, and 130 faster. We have only tried this twice but I'm confident the T5 motor will continue to hand him his butt. Our cars, unfortunately, are both autos.

For those that are considering ordering the S60R, does anyone want the Flash Green? Let me know your reasoning. Thanks.

Paul
    nobody said the T5 could be beat to 60, 100, or 130.

• chef228chef228 Member Posts: 12
    I've noticed several small spots on my 5 week old S60. I couldn't get them out. Brought it to a car wash for an interior detail. They got them out but now they have reappeared. A friend suggested I complain to the dealer about bad leather. I assume the dealer will say I must have spilled something and that it is not their problem. Anyone ever notice any problems with spots on their leather seats and any suggestions as to how to get them out? Thanks.
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    Has anybody looked at these two cars comparatively? I test drove the 2003 model several months ago and liked it very much. Is the 2004 model significantly faster? It appears that the rear of the car is slightly different (for the 2004 model, isn't the S60 lettering on the left and the 2.5T lettering on the right instead of the 2003 model where the S60 lettering was on the right above the 2.4T lettering?

Are there any other differences between this car in 2003 and 2004?
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    I've been looking at both as well. I did think the 2004 was noticeably peppier, and seemed to have less of the turbo lag. Could just have been the 2 specific cars I was driving. They otherwise appeared pretty much identical inside and out.
    I found out by accident that Volvo is giving $2k cash back to the dealerships on S60s right now. Edmunds doesn't have it posted, but two dealerships have reluctantly admitted it to me. Also, they said the 2.9% financing that Edmunds has listed through the end of August was pulled first thing this morning. Does anyone know if this is true? I called Volvo Finance, and the person told me she didn't have that information. Seems a little strange to me.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I found that there's a $1000 rebate on FWD S60's and $2000 on AWD versions.
    Is the $1000 rebat on FWD S60's a manufacturer to customer rebate or manufacturer to dealer?
    I just bought a 2004 S60 2.5T. My insurance company is telling me that my car's VIN description says it is a T5, which makes my insurance much higher. Has this happened to anyone else? I am wondering how I am going to get this fixed. Do I need to call Volvo directly?