Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The normally aspirated car is discontinued.
    Volvo probably won't be making any general announcement.
    For 2005 the lineup is the S60 2.5T, S60 AWD, S60 T5 and S60R.
  • jack154jack154 Member Posts: 10
    I was debating this with a friend the other day. I am in the market for an AWD S60 or bmw 330xi. I like both and like the space more in the volvo. However... (you call me superficial) I can't shake the soccor mom image off this car. Maybe it's just how I grew up w/ all the mom's and their big boxy volvo's in the late 80s picking up their kids from school and little league... I dunno. I love the new look, but I would like to hear from others on their take of the new image. Do you still see it as a soccor mom car? Is it a yuppie car now? The latter is not preferred either... but I am just curious. You don't have to reply with the psychological take on my concern with "image" - some people like to do this for some reason, but it's not what I'm concerned about. Thanks for any opinions.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    Oil change interval is a personal choice. For warranty purposes, there is no need to change the oil sooner than specified. However, it can't hurt to change the oil and filter sooner. Personally, I changed the oil and filter at around 1,000 miles, at 3,000 miles I changed the transmission fluid and then oil and filter again at 5,000. I use the 5,000 mile interval thereafter (oil and filter change as well as check/rotate the tires and check/adjust the suspension).

With the wonderful quality of the roads in the bay area, I have found that checking the tires and suspension will get me an extra 5,000 miles in wear before the tires need to be replaced. Fortunately, I have a service department that doesn't charge me for checking, only for adjustments that are done.
    Most of the Soccer Moms that I have met have migrated to V70/XC70/XC90 or are driving minivans or larger SUVs (Tahoe/Yukon/etc). I personally wouldn't sweat the image thing. The real question is whether YOU enjoy the car. I HAVE enjoyed my 2002 S60 AWD.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    I perceive my volvo as an asphalt-scalding road warrior (and i've got the boxy one, by the way). Is that a popular perception? No. But, hey, that's why your own personal opinion is the one that matters most.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    I think that the S80 made great inroads in changing the image of Volvo. The S60 reinforced it and now the new S40 continues the new beautiful style that Volvos have.

Back in 2002, I was in the same predicament. I debated between a 330i and a S60 T5. I am happy with my decision. I really enjoy my car and while it may be 95% the car that the BMW is...I don't autocross and I don't drive like an [non-permissible content removed] at 10/10ths, so I would never really get what Car&Driver et al rave about...

Tell you what, my black T5 with a light tint and more aggressive tires on my Thor wheels gets stares (of course the car is kept in museum-like condition!) and honestly, I think it is easily the most attractive entry level sedan.

Just yesterday i went to test drive an MDX for my wife and the salesman was gag over my car! I think tha the S60 with the 17" tires is an aggressive looking car and the soccer mom thingy is for the wagon.

Don't be shy to talk about image. people say it is shallow or whatever. I say that a car projects what you want people to see in you. I firmly beleive that.

By the way, back to back the MDX is 10K cheaper in Canada and comes with Nav, reversing camera and Bose system. But I was less than impressed with the vehicle. The transmission was all over the place, indecisive, and the steering was dead, too much play and more dead. I don't think I could drive that car...maybe the wife can.

The XC90 was more surefooted and just felt...solid. The doors on the MDX when slammed sounded like a tin can and the leather and fake wood actually both looked and felt fake.

I think Volvos have gone from soccer mom to being a real alternative to the Germans.
  • mikepromikepro Member Posts: 25
    I think the soccer mom image is gone. I agree that it has migrated to the SUV/crossover and minivan segment. In my opinion, the new Volvo sedans are downright sexy. I think it actually looks a bit like BMW, but different enough to be unique. I do like the fact that they are not as common as BMW.

BMW is the obvious answer to a sporty sedan, but the Volvo is great too. It stands a bit apart while still flying under the radar. BMW is the obvious choice, whereas Volvo is the informed choice. It's great looking, performs great (not as good as a BMW perhaps, but as stated above who really drives like that?), is renowned for safety and has great features and looks. I don't think it is a yuppie choice like BMW. In my mind, it has an image somehwat like Subaru (different, unique, smart choice, competent), but is more luxurious and refined.

I was looking at the Acura TL. Sure nice car, but man it just seemed so vanilla. Also, there are really no options on that car, so everyone is teh same. I definitely didn't like the image of myself in that car. The Volvo looks so much better and I love the seats. Plus, it's cheaper with rebates. :-) I looked at BMW's for maybe 5 minutes, and just couldn't see myself in one. It just seemed too obvious and hyped. I love my Volvo!
    Personally, I think that BMW botched the looks of their cars by turning Chris Bangle loose on defining the look of the new models. I absolutely hate the look of the new 5 series. (The front of the car looks like it has eyelashes. Absolutely revolting....) The S60 (and S80 and 2nd gen S40) - now that is what Bangle should have come up with.... However, Volvo already had the look; so, he had to come up with something else - he just failed in his attempt. I hope Bangle doesn't go and screw up the MINI next.
  • s60 2.4s60 2.4 Member Posts: 24
    Been looking to purchase a 2004 S60 2.4 since last March. I have test drove the 2.4 a number of times and am strongly interested in purchasing it soon. My only question is what will the 2.4 be replaced with in 2005? I am looking for a non-turbo model. I am also wondering of any new changes that Volvo is going to offer in their 2005 S60 line up. Thank you!!!
    As I was talking with a salesman at a local Volvo dealer, I was advised that Volvo states that 87-91 octane can be used in S60’s. The salesman could not give me a definitive answer what I should be running in the 2.4. However, since I am about to purchase I am curious as to what grade I should be running once I get the car. Some have advised that running 91 will make my Volvo last longer. Can 89 be used? If I run 89 will it possibly cause any long term problems? All I want is what will be best for my new Volvo.
  • volvojoevolvojoe Member Posts: 5
    Hey Mikepro, I just purchased a S60R from a Volvo dealership in South East Michigan. In addition to the 7500 mile service intervals, they provided 4 additional "oil change" coupons. These coupons are intended to be used between 7500 mile service visits at approximately 3750 miles. I guess us "Americans" aren't use to going 7500 miles between oil changes and this Volvo dealership has figured it out.
    91 or 87 octane gasoline will not have an affect on the longevity of the car. Not putting the correct grade of oil in the engine will have a direct impact on the longevity of the car, however.... If you have a non-turbocharged engine, I believe that Volvo recommends 89 octane. With turbocharging, Volvo recommends 91 octane. If you use a lower octane than was recommended by Volvo, you may find engine performance off due to the anti-knock sensor retarding the ignition timing to stop any engine knock (pre-mature detonation due to lower octane fuel).
  • mikepromikepro Member Posts: 25
    Hey volvojoe, congrats on your purchase! I love my 2.5T, but am somewhat wishing I went a little crazier and sprang for the S60R. That would have been pushing the $$$ though, maybe next time.

That was cool of the dealership. Was your dealership Sesi? It does seem a bit hard to wrap my mind around waiting 7500 miles. I was dealing with Sesi, and was planning on buying from them. However, a series of unfortunate family events (nothing related to my experience with Sesi) have caused me to be out of town quite a bit, and I ended up buying from a dealership in Traverse City. They had what I wanted (well, I really wanted the S60R, but...) on the lot, and it made sense to just get it done. I feel somewhat bad because I was working with a good guy at my local dealership, but it just worked out another way, not really what I intended. Since I'll be getting my service there, I'll probably do something for my salesman like give him a gift certificate or something to make sure we still have a good relationship.
    I put in 87 when I always use 91.

Funny thing was it started better, but performance was noticeably down. Oh sure, if you never drove the car before, you wouldn't notice, but driving it everyday you notice easily that the car doesn't have the same oomph.

Fill up again with the 91, and it felt like someone put in 104 octane!

By the way, I love the new 5 series. that will probably be my next car after my T5 runs throuh its lease.

I wouldn't mind an S60R...the problem is I don't think I can drive the same car for 7 years. I like new things and new experiences.
    The S60 2.4 won't be available for 2005.
    Turbo models only

Volvo does recommend 91 octane gasoline. Lesser octane will work, you will see a reduction in performance/economy.
  • bison3bison3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all:

I'm considering getting a 2001 Volvo S60 with 60+K miles and price tag of $13K. I've always liked Volvos for a number of reasons (space, safety, reputation, mechanics) but I am not too educated on how high the mileage on these vehicles can go. I'm also a husky 6'3 with three little ones so interior room is an issue for me. I think that this is a solid option for me but would be very interested in hearing the opinions of others.

Thanks much in advance
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    Just curious, saw an ad in the paper for a 2004 S60 California Edition. Does anyone know what it has on it?

Thanks,

Steve
    btw the ad was $308 for 48mo, 2K down plus t&l 350 deposit, 40 k miles. vehicles with 33K MSRP
    Is an S60 2.4 ASR, with the low emission CA engine, plus a special option pkg.
    Think of it as a Prem Pkg +.
    Car will come w/ 17" wheels.
    Mikepro, congrats on the T5. My dealership is Dwyer & Sons (15 mile & M5).
    volvomax, I thought all Volvo engines were SLEV? I was not aware that there were different engines for CA and non-CA. (Check your emissions certification sticker - it will say that the car is certified for U.S. Federal and California emissions, if I am not mistaken.) When has that changed?
  • volvofiremanvolvofireman Member Posts: 1
    Hi...I"m an active duty Air Force firefighter returning to the States after four years in Okinawa. I recently bought the S60 2.5T and am picking it up in Tampa before heading out to my new assignment. I test drove a Japanese version over here and loved it!! Just want to say thanks for this awesome message board.....I had questions about breakin time and fuel octane to use and oil to use and you have all answered those questions without me having to ask. Glad to be a new Volvo owner and look forward to years of driving this awesome car!!!
    Volvo made the change for the 2004 model year I believe. It only affects the S60 2.4 and V70 2.4.
    All other Volvo's are 50 state cars. The other Volvo engines are ULEV or LEV depending on the engine.
    Welcome aboard! The S60 is a really nice car. I hope you have as good an ownership experience as I have had with mine.
    The time is coming up and I am about to purchase a new 2.4 in four weeks. The S60 is a wonderful car and it sounds like many of you have enjoyed your S60's. My only concern is reliability. I have looked at previous messages and it seems a few have had a lemon. I plan on keeping this car for many years to come. Please advise of any problems or any major concerns surrounding the S60.

Thank you!!!
    I will be picking up my 2004 "2.4" this Friday. This forum has been of great help, and I am pleased to say I am now a new Volvo owner.
    Congrats on your new Car!
  • r22549r22549 Member Posts: 42
    Test drove the S60R this weekend...What a blast, except for the turning radius. I live in CT and therefore get my fair share of snow. Do you folks who live in snow country find it necessary to change to different tires in the winter months. If so what do you change to..? Is there a significant handling loss with different tires..Thanx for any help....
    Well, I live in AZ.
    However, the Pirelli's are Summer tires. They do ok for light snow/rain but for the heavy stuff get snow tires.
    There are several brands that work well.
  • kiassuc2kiassuc2 Member Posts: 2
    dont get a 2001 get a 2003 or 2004 and 60 k millions is no good at 60 thousand miles problems occur
  • apolloc70apolloc70 Member Posts: 13
    if you could get a 2005 S40 (base model) or a 2004 S60 (base model) for the same price, which would you choose ?
    i like options, but it gets too pricey, is it worth getting the base model of either of these cars , or should i shop elsewhere ?
    well, if it is only a choice between those 2 cars, I'd probably opt for the S40 because I'm assuming it is more fun to drive (i.e., handles better).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• triumphbobktriumphbobk Member Posts: 25
    I had my heart set on an A6 quattro, but after hearing about the reliability nightmares, I started looking at the S60 with the 2.5T. I test drove one last week and was impressed with the ride. It was a FWD, but I like the idea of AWD. In looking at the performance specs, it looks like AWD reduces the highway mileage from 30 to 25. That seems like quite a hit! Is the AWD really worth it? I've never had problems driving in snow with FWD, but I have this perception that AWD would handle better all around. What are your personal experiences with AWD on the S60?

Thanks.
    Apart from the traction issues with AWD, there is no torque steer with AWD. In my particular circumstance, I live in an area that gets a lot of evening fog/mist, so in the mornings, the roads can be slippery. With my S60AWD, I have no problems with wheel slip from dead stop. Regarding torque steer, if you punch the go pedal in a T5, you will notice some torque steer. With the S60AWD, torque steer is not present when the go pedal is punched.
    Whoa, I have all kinds with my T5...with the DSTC turned off. I tend to also get a much better launch too. I don't mind a little bit, it really adds to the excitement.
  • larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    IMHO AWD is absolutely worthless. OK, bold statement so I'd better explain. And please bare in mind, I am not a car expert of any kind, this is just my opinion based on what I've figured out on my own, heard from others, or experienced while driving various vehicles. So I might be all wrong (but I think I'm right).

First of all, there is a distinct difference between AWD and 4x4. The 4x4 means you have constant power to all four wheels. This will enable you to brake later when attacking a corner, and step on the gas a little bit earlier when exiting. However, once you're in the corner 4x4 or FWD doesn't matter - it's all about G forces and tire grip.

AWD (when we're talking about Volvo) is normally FWD and only disperses power to all four wheels when needed, i.e. when traction is a problem. This is done by electronic sensors and micro chips and usually involves cutting power to the engine as well.

BBC's Top Gear once compared a RWD, FWD and AWD vehicle driving through corners. The results were that the RWD went through them faster since when you step on the gas, the rear of the car will push it through the corner and "help" you line it up straight faster, thus giving you a quicker exit time. Of course, the problem with RWD cars are that if you put too much power down they'll spin out and you'll hit whatever obstacle that's out there either sideways or rear first - both of which from a safety standpoint are bad.

The AWD and FWD vehicles (both Audi A4s) behaved exactly the same. They were both "chugging" over the front tires, starting to go off the track. As they were saying, for racing purposes this is not what you want, but from a safety standpoint you'll be hitting something head on, giving you a large deformation zone and an engine to shield you from the impact.

The reason they stated the FWD and AWD cars behaved so similar, was that the AWD is heavier (so it's cornering time was actually slightly slower than the FWD car) and once you're in the corner there's only so much you can do.

Here's my reason for thinking AWD is overrated. It adds weight to your car, hence gas milage is lowered. There's more electronics and sensors and mechanical stuff involved, all of which could add expense if you need to repair it. And AWD is only there when you loose traction, and if you're doing 60MPH at that time it's not about AWD or not if you'll manage to keep control over your vehicle - it's about stabilization systems and your own capabilities as a driver (plus a whole lot of luck!).

Unless you live where it snows a lot and/or you have a lot of ice on the roads, so that you could use the added traction of AWD for getting up steep hills or the likes, then what's the point?

I live in SoCal where the sun shines 340 days a year. When it rains it can get pretty horrid, but there's still no need for four wheel traction. I have a lot of friends who keep talking about AWD this, AWD that, and they are convinced an AWD vehicle is more stable than anything else. That is absolutely not true, and it's my opinion that this type of thinking will create a false sense of security with the driver. (Last time we had heavy rain and I happened to be on the freeway, I can't tell you how many cars with really wide high performance tires I saw passing me at speeds that even I in my "normal" car couldn't do. I passed two of these cars about ten minutes later as they had spun off the road...)

Growing up I watched a lot of British touring car racing. This is what I learned from watching Audi do battle with BMW and Volvo (yes, Volvo were in it and quite successful at that). The Audis could brake later before a corner, and thus gain the advantage. Going through the corner they were going at the same speed as the others. Exiting they could step on the power a little bit earlier, and again gain an advantage. But, with their added weight from the AWD system, the others caught up during acceleration. And these cars were racing cars, tuned every way imagineable, and yet they still performed very similar to the other cars on the grid. The consumer versions, even the high end ones, are not tuned this way.

I don't know if I made a point here or not, but if you read all of this, you are a very patient person.
  • matsmats Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 S60 and I'm dissatisfied with the factory stereo and sound quality. Has anyone upgraded after sale to the Dolby Pro Logic SC901? If so, can you provide me an estimate on the cost to do this? Any other alternatives, suggestions, comments re improving the sound quality would be greatly appreciated.
    You are certainly welcome to your opinion (AWD being worthless).

Here is a dissenting opinion. Your discussion of 4x4 is a bit off. There are different types of 4x4 systems. One type (e.g. non-permanent) requires an engagement of the 4x4 drive (either electronically or by the operator manually engaging 4x4); this is what you will find on the Ford Expedition. The other general type of 4x4 is known as permanent 4x4, where the vehicle is always in 4x4 mode; permanent 4x4 is what the Hummer H1 is equipped with. With the non-permanent 4x4, all axles are locked when 4x4 is engaged. When you attempt to turn the vehicle (either right or left), drivetrain binding is experienced due to the wheels on the outside of the turn having to cover more distance than the wheels on the inside of the turn. For this reason (binding), non-permanent 4x4 is a low-speed off-road traction assist and has no bearing on high speed on-road traction/driveability. Permanent 4x4, by its internal design and mechanical components, does not suffer from the binding that occurs when the vehicle is turned right or left. In really bad traction conditions, permanent 4x4 can also have the front and rear axles locked to provide further low speed traction; however, the problems with binding of the driveline are present when the axles are locked. 4x4 systems have both a high and low gear range, where the high gear range is used for normal driving and the low range is used for low speed, low traction driving where engine torque is used to get the vehicle out of traction-challeged situations. To net out the above discussion, 4x4 systems are chiefly designed for low speed off-road low traction conditions.

AWD systems are designed to provide traction to all wheels all the time, and are meant as a traction assist to on-road driving where traction needs are typically present at higher vehicle speeds. The example you gave of Audis is relevent. And, yes AWD systems really do provide traction to all of the wheels all of the time. The Volvo Haldex system provides 5% traction to the rear wheels at all times; when there is slippage (if memory serves, 1/7th of a wheel revolution is the metric) between the front and rear wheels, traction is increased to the rear wheels until the slippage is eliminated. The advantages of AWD are that you get a faster launch and turns can be negotiated faster and there is no drivetrain binding. Weight penalty of the Haldex AWD system is on the order of about 180 lbs. I have noticed about a 1 mpg penalty with my S60AWD.

If you frequently have slippery road traction conditions, AWD is a definite advantage. I live in an area where summer evenings are foggy and mist mixes with road oil for a very slippery driving surface. I can't count the number of times where non-AWD cars have been stopped at a traffic light with me. The light changes to green, the non-AWD car's driver presses the accelerator and the tires (front or back) spin on the slippery road surface. My S60AWD just moves forward with no fuss and the other car is in my rear view mirror. A further advantage of AWD on Volvos is that the AWD system cancels out the effects of torque steer on hard acceleration. Personally, the additional 180 lbs. and 1 mpg penalty is a small price to pay for the additional traction (and safety) advantages of the AWD option.

A further safety system that works on high-speed rain-slicked roads is DSTC (Dynamic Stability Traction Control). (DSTC also works on ice conditions.) The cars you describe that had spun while driving on rain-slicked roads may not have spun had they been equipped with DSTC. However, no safety system can re-write the laws of physics; operator stupidity can still result in a spin.

Hope this response did not bore you.
    Is the C70's sound system. Its not compatible w/ the S60.
    The HU803 is the Dolby upgrade for the S60.
    Its rather costly to do it after the fact. You have to replace all the speakers, add the 2 center speakers, add an amp and replace tthe head unit. Plus download a bunch of software from Volvo. If memory serves, it's about twice as expensive as getting it from the factory.
  • larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    Your response didn't bore me at all. Very technical though, you obviously know a lot more about how these things work than I do.

To me, DSTC should be standard on Volvos (and the equivalent systems should be standard on every other car sold in this county.) Just like ABS and airbags should be standard on EVERY car built today. I can't believe there are still cars sold where ABS is optional! Or that you have to pay extra for airbags!

I guess AWD isn't a bad thing. Not on Volvos anyway. Audi however...
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    The less sophisticated, but still very effective STC (Stability Traction control) system is standard on all Volvos. Works very well on the slippery surfaces, and is comparable to any of the similar systems from major car manufacturers.

The DSTC, in turn, is superior to most of the systems from other brands.

And DSTC is standard on all Volvo SUV's - XC90.
    One further item to consider regarding DSTC and AWD on Volvos is that the Haldex AWD is integrated with DSTC. This means that if the car is starting to spin, DSTC will immediately (~70 miliseconds) disengage the AWD system and start selectively applying brakes to fight the spin. Other non-integrated systems are left with reducing engine power (which Volvo's DSTC does as well) which takes a little more time to be effective. I have been very impressed with the DSTC capabilities of my S60AWD.
    Hey Triumphbobk, If you drive in an area that gets snow, get both AWD and DSTC ... it's pretty much foolproof.
  • s6025ts6025t Member Posts: 23
    Wheeeew.... Chattanooga,TN has $6,500 discount on all S60's. 4.5k from Volvo and 2k from dealer. Being price competitive is one thing.... but at this rate they'll be cheaper than a KIA.
    just wanted to correct one more thing: 4x4 does NOT allow you to brake later in the corner. Putting power to all 4 wheels has nothing to do with braking. You brake when you take power AWAY from the wheels.

• grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I have a 2001 S60 (regular not T or R or S) which has just gotten 37,000 miles on the tires that came with the car.

Anyone have a recommendation for new tires - tires that will work well in summer and also in the snowy winters where I live in the North East? I dont want to hasstle with changing to snow tires in winter - I went through that with my Volvl 760 and it wasnt worthit - with that car I ended up with Gislaveds on it.
    i put a set of continental conti-extremes on mine just before last winter and have been very happy with both snow and rain traction.

I am using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S from the day I took delivery of my S60AWD. (I declined the opportunity to drive on the Pirelli tires that came from the factory - too many problems with sidewall crumbling; I did not want to be a statistic....) Couldn't be happier with the Michelins.
    For that matter, AWD does not allow one to brake later in a corner. Most racing drivers do their braking before they are in the corner and then accelerate out of the corner. If you are having to brake in the corner, you are not setting up for a fast exit from the corner. In a worst case, you will spin the car.
    yup.
    but i just mentioned 4x4, obviously, because the previous poster felt it allowed you to brake further into a corner than the other 2 options.

Hey Grantchstr, I have 3 all-season tire suggestions that you should consider. I made the assumption that you have standard wheel size - 195/65R15 that come with the 2001 S60 2.4. The following are the top three rated tires according to drivers like you and me via survey information from tirerack.com:

1. Michelin Hydroedge - 60K mile wear - $97
    2. Michelin Harmony - 55K mile wear - $92
    3. Firestone Affinity LH30 - 45K mile wear - $60

Hope this helps.