Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    Cmnott, you might try mentioning your interest in purchasing an XC90 and an S60R to the sales manager of the dealership. I doubt that the sales manager would pass up the chance to make two sales over a rotor replacement job. If you put your money where your moth is (by putting down a deposit), so to speak, I think you will get your free rotor replacement.
    Turning circle is not due to the longitudinal mounting of the engine. If that were true, the new S40 would not have a 34.9 foot turning circle. Also, the 850 models (which likewise had longitudinally mounted engines) had turning circles in the 34 foot range.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Actually, the engines are mounted transversely, not longitudinally.
    The turning circle issue is related to 2 things, the FWD setup and the tranverse 5 cyl engine.
    The new S40 is only 175 inches long, plus its wheel wells are much larger in relation to its size that either the S60 or 850. also the standard 850 had narrow 15" tires on it. the 850 turbo and 850 R had turning circles in the 37 foot range. The S90 RWD had a 31 ft circle.
    Any way you slice it the S60's circle isn't good. Its better than my C70 was haowever.
    My appologies for the mix-up between longitudinal and transverse engine mounting, volvomax is correct - the front wheel drive Volvos have transverse engine mounting. That said, I still can't get to a conclusion that turning circle is based on front wheel drive and transverse engine mounting (or vehicle length/wheelbase). I had a '95 850 Turbo that I traded on my S60AWD that had the 16 inch wheels and it had around a 34 foot turning circle - certainly not 37 feet or 39 feet. Also, what year C70 did you have? I had a 2000 C70 Hardtop and it had a 34 foot turning circle (with the 17 x 7.5 BBS multi-spoke wheels). Parking lots for both the 850 and the C70 were a non-event; the S60 is another matter, which is why I am eagerly awaiting the S40 with AWD.
  • It seems that the Volvo dealers of the East are, in general, less supportive than their counterparts here in So California.
    I have never had better service from any service organization, than I have from the Calabasas Volvo service department.

They made my entire Volvo experience, despite of my fair share of the common problems, truly amazing.

So, look for the better dealer.
  • s60 2.4s60 2.4 Posts: 24
    Volvomax, I recently purchased a 2004 2.4 three weeks ago. What a wonderful auto and again, I am pleased to be a new Volvo owner. I am running 93 as Volvo recommends. My economy has been good but was wondering when I should notice an improvement. Also I have not redlined my auto at all. I would like to ask is there anything you would recommend me doing as for the break in and what I should avoid. Many Thanks!!!!
  • s6025ts6025t Posts: 23
    2004 Volvo S80s are going for 8k off MSRP here in Chattanooga. At this rate Buick will have better resale value than Volvo.
  • So was S40 2004 here in LA just before the model change over.

What trim is discounted?
    The entire S80 lineup. Just like the S60 lineup all with 6500 off.
    My C70 was a 2001. I had a heckuva time making the turn into my townhouse garage. The S60R does it much easier.
    If you have an 850, see how far you can get the tires to turn, then look at the S60.

s60 2.4
    Congrats on your new car. It could be as much as 3-4,000 miles before your fuel economy stabilizes.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Posts: 371
    QUOTE "Grant, In my humble opinion if you have a 2001 basic S60 it is not worth anywhere near 16,000 + 2,000 warranty. A new 2004 no frills S60 has an MSRP of 26,960. My local dealer here in Chattanooga, TN has all S60's with the Volvo 4,500 discount plus 2,000 dealer discount. So you can ride a new one for about 20,500 or keep your old one for about 18,000.
    If you really want to keep your Volvo forget about residual. Whoever you're dealing with does not want the car back. Best offer I would make is 12,000 and forget about the warranty." UNQUOTE

Edmunds has a TMV price in my zipcode of $29,143 for a 2004 S60 (with leather etc for $2,300 of options), are Edmunds TMV values full of crap then? Thats way more than your 20,500!!

Question:
    At lease expiry, can I negotiate with Volvo and make them an offer, will they do that? It makes sense for them to sell to the lessee as it will save them money on transportation, prepping and marketing the car etc. But an offer of $12,000? Do any car lessors negotiate in this way?
    Your contract provides a specific price that you can buy the car from Volvo Finance. You can make them an offer that is lower, and they may or may not accept the offer. However, a lower offer involves a loss for Volvo Finance on the transaction and they would have to have proof that your lower offer was the best available price that they could get for the car. The "proof of market price" generally comes from putting the car up for auction; the maximum amount that is bid for the car is what the market price of the car is. Unfortunately, you lose out on the opportunity to purchase the car (unless you are the highest bidder at the auction).

Sometimes, the finance company will sell the car to a dealer at a discount from the contract price in the lease agreement so that they have certainty on the transaction. If you have a good relationship with the dealer that sold the car to you originally, you might be able to have them purchase the car for you and sell the car back to you with a slight mark-up for the dealer's effort on the transaction. Personally, I doubt that $12,000 will be accepted unless that is the maximum that is bid for the car at auction. And there is nothing that requires Volvo Finance to hold an auction in your neighborhood; the car is theirs and they can sell it where they think they will get the best price for it.
    Grant - Okay fine. Take the 26,960 MSRP I spoke of earlier, and add the 2300 worth of options. You'll come up with a bit over 29k. Knock off 6500 and figure it out. Then compare the 18,000 purchase of your 4 year old car. You'll come up with the number I already said, about 5k differnce. Good luck
    VFNA doesn't "negotiate" per se on leases.
    Sometimes they will offer you your car at a lower price than what is in your contract.
    However, they have been less likely to do that over the last few months.
    Finance companies have ways of writing off losses on leases, residual insurance for one thing, they may not be able to do that if they sell you the car.
    Given the current incentive climate you are probably better off leasing a new Volvo and returning yours.
  • Thanks for the excellent information, it looks like AWD would be nice to have in your back pocket when the road conditions deteriorate. Now all I have to do is decide on which flavor of S60 to get - sport package, leather, moonroof, DSTC, and Xenons. It seems like when I add it all up it's pretty close to being an S60R. So, is it worth the extra money to get the S60R? I suppose they won't discount them as much as the regular S60 2.5T due to their fewer numbers, but wouldn't the "limited production" factor work to maintain its value down the road? Has anyone made any great deals on an S60R?

Thanks
    The primary difference between an S60R and an optioned up S60AWD is horsepower and torque (although only for the manual transmission version of the R). Don't look for the kind of deals on the R that you can get on the S60AWD. The other thing to consider is the bloated turning circle of the R (42 foot vs. 39 foot). Also, you don't have as much choice in the colors that are available for the R. For me, the R's 42 foot turning circle is too much; I would rather get an S40AWD with a 35 foot (34.9 foot to be specific) turning circle and add an ECU upgrade when it (the ECU upgrade) becomes available. But that is just my particular opinion.
  • joannjoann Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just purchased an s60 yesterday. I do a lot of highway driving and am wondering if it is worth it too purchase the paint chip protection? For my 1996 subaru I was able to purchase a deflector for the hood to help prevent chips, but I didn't see that availabe for the Volvo. I am not sure the deflector helped much, the subaru does have a lot of chips on the hood, but it also has a lot of miles.
    I own an R and so am biased in favor of it.
    The performance from 0-60 is close to the AWD if you opt for an auto. The handling, seats, and appearance are alot better in the R.
    Neither car exist in great numbers, however there are some good deals available on both cars.

New Owner:
    Welcome to the club!
    There is a product called Clear Bra which can be applied to the front of your car to diminish paint chipping. Otherwise, there are paint companies that can touch up your chips alot better than you could with a tube of paint.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I noticed that, why does the R take that much of a hit with the automatic? Whats even the point if the T5 can match it? And what is really the point of the T5 at all now that there is the R? Volvo seems like it needs to work on these issues. What do you guys think of the S60 2.5T AWD vs. A4 3.0 Quattro?
  • xmf314xmf314 Posts: 154
    For chip protection I had clear paint protection film from expel applied to the front of my 2001 S60. So far I have had no paint chips on the front. The product is made by 3-M and is nearly invisible.

http://www.xpel.com/
    The auto tranny in the R is incapable of dealing with the full torque output of the engine. Thus, the engine's output is limited in 1st and 2nd gears. Once you get to 3rd gear the car really wakes up.

Two words about the T5,torque steer. The T5 is faster at lower speeds, but is much harder to drive and control. The R feels much more planted and stable. Plus, your buying the better interior, 4C chassis and AWD.
    We don't even carry the T5 at all anymore.
  • I were to buy an S60 outright and could get an R for only $5k more than a 2.5T AWD, would it be worth it assuming that I tend to keep cars for more that 7 years? Other than the obvious fun factor for the R, I'm worried about the long term reliability - the summer/winter tire changeover issue and the 18" rims propensity to get damaged easier, and overall higher maintenance due to the higher tech design over the AWD. Are there any dealer incentives on the AWD or R that I don't know about? I know the R would be alot more fun, but is it a "keeper", or just enjoy for a few years?
    sounds like Volvo needs to get a better, performance oriented automatic. Maybe borrow the ZF six-speed from cousin Jaguar.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,536
    well, yes, they need a better tranny. However, the problem is more the effect of AWD than anything else. With all that traction, it can't spin the tires easily to spend that energy, so it has to spend it through the tranny (or, in the case of a manual, the clutch). There aren't many auto transmissions that could handle that. the only reason many manufacturers can get away with an automatic in a high-power car is because it is just rear-wheel-drive and the power can be absorbed by spinning the wheels.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Technically, Volvo employs transaxles. Jag being RWD employs a conventional transmission. ZF makes some wonderful stuff, but they don't make FWD transaxles.
    Help is on the way though. Volvo will debut a 6 spd transaxle in Jan.
    This tranny should be on the next R.
    Is it worth it?
    Comes down to personal preference and ability to afford the car.
    $5k is alot of money for some people.
    The reg AWD S60 is a nice car, but the R is more soul stirring to me.
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    I always thought that it was because it was transvers and thus less play than a longitudinal mount, like an inline 6 from a BMW...

Anyways, the brake thing. I have never had to pay for a brake job in 11 years. Actually, forever now that I think about it, but 11 years of leasing and low mileage at that, brakes have never been an issue.

My wife's old Contour's brakes pulsated and they replaced them...she had 16K miles on the rotors. For them to pawn it off me and say that I don't drive it enough, that rust causes warping, etc...every excuse in the book, I am sorry but it is simply too early. I even called Volvo and they did jack snot. So basically it comes down to a face to face with the manager and my last resort will be to have the brakes done anywhere else but there.

As a 32 year old who is fortunate enough to have tha ability to purchase fine cars, I will let them know that a BMW dealer is a stone's throw awat from my house...Mercedes too.
  • What was I thinking? Of course its worth it - especially when you can get a demo R for 35k! Just closed the deal. Picking it up tomorrow. I can afford the car, and I figured that the R will maintain its value if I want to sell it in a few years.

Now the only problem is when my 'soul stirs' I'm afraid I'll start seeing those flashing lights in my rear view. I haven't had that feeling since my TR6 was on the road 20 years ago (now in a hundred pieces in the garage) - at least I'll have a smile on my face when they take me away.

Thanks for the input.
    Hahaha. I know the feeling very well. I've gotten 5 tickets in a single year before, fortunately, none of them have been for more than 90mph. I took my old XJS-V12 up to 145mph once, but wasnt caught :) The wind noise at that speed (convertible) was absolutely brutal. I've flown an open cockpit bi-plane before, and it was the same kind of feeling. The XJS' '70s era design wasnt designed with wind blocking in mind. It sure was a hoot though. Perhaps it may be time to consider investing in a Valentine 1?
  • If its true the s60 will have a cosmetic upgrade for 2005, will this help the turning radius (fender flaring, etc)? Has anyone seen any spec's on the 05? Does anyone happen to know what the lead time is to order a 2005 2.5awd or R?