Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• volvobuyer1volvobuyer1 Member Posts: 4
    I like to purchase Volvo s60 automatic transmission...I've always leased Volvo and now I like purchase it...since i gotta think about my son's college tuition in near future... i got buy instead of lease... i heard that dealer's have incentives from factory...how do you find it out! please if anyone can help me please let me know!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you specifically want to know about incentives, you can ask in this discussion: Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments. Hope this helps.
  • soon2bvolownersoon2bvolowner Member Posts: 3
    I am seriously considering purchasing this vehicle. The price is right, low mileage, etc. It was a rental, I did a Carfax on it and it checks out great.

But here's my dilemma - It only has a single in-dash CD installed. Does anyone know of how or where I could get a 6 in-dash CD installed or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks.
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    its very expensive to put in a volvo cd changer ($1000) or swap out the radio. The base radio with some "hidden equalizer" tweeking sounds very nice. Not as good as the 6 in-dash cd, but better than most stock radios.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    keep an eye out on ebay. folks love changing out the stereos on their new cars.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Won't work. You need alot of software to change factory radios.
    Software?? Really? Why? Where do you install the software? The ECU or something? And what does that change? What if someone buys an aftermarket stereo? Is software required then? And, again, what does the software do?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    Really, the computers on Volvo's control everything, from the transmission to the lights. You want you're DSL's disabled? Software. You want to add foglights? Software You're transmission isn't shifting properly? Software. Lower the heat to the seats, change the dimming mirror, etc. Software, software. I don't know about aftermarket radios, I do know some people have them so it can be done.

On my 03 S80 2.9 I wanted to add foglights, the car is prewired for them, in order for them to work the computer needed to know they were there, software download. I wanted to add the auto lock feature when the car started rolling. software.
    There are something like 18 separate processors in an S60.
    Everything that car does requires a program.
    Especially if your replacing components.
    We can't swap radios from one car to another without a whole lot of software.

Aftermarket stereos can be done, but you basically have to gut the audio sytem to do it.
    if all cars keep going in this direction, I think my next ride will be a kit car.

• grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    volvomax, what is the reliability factor for these processors.......are there any in particular that are more troublesome than others?
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    While we are waiting to hear from volvomax on specific statistics, I want to mention that the micro processors by far are the most reliable devices in modern technology, much more reliable than any complex mechanical or electro-mechanical device.
    The processors themselves have been quite reliable.
    Usually it has been the programming itself that has needed debugging.
    Volvo was at the forefront in 99 w/ this level of technology in the cars and there were some teething issues.
    Since 2001 the computers and their systems have been rock solid.
    Virtually all cars now are processor controlled to one degree or another.
    Also, the engine processors store performance data, this is especially useful in accident investigations.
    I guess that with all this electronic technology that the Volvo dealer is going to be better than an indy for any problems with a car out of manufacturers warranty?
    i do not think so - the processors ARE extremely reliable. The most problems on my 92K S80 are the old style mechanical (worn bushings, etc.) or electro-mechanical (faulty window motor) in nature. My friend, an owner of the independent Volvo shop with VADIS on his computer does just fine.
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    Greetings all -- I have been looking at the S60 and S60R and have noticed that there appear to be some very good incentives on those vehicles right now for the 2005 models... Does anybody know (a) what the incentives are in specific (e.g., what base MF I might be looking for in a lease, or what the dealer incentives are) and (b) why the incentives seem to be so good? Is there a redesign coming or some other reason why the dealer seems to want the 05s gone before the 06s come along? Any input and advice would be welcome... Thanks much! Scott
    You already have your incentive info on the appropriate thread.

In terms of changes you will finf prior posts where the concensus is that 2008 is the earliest that a change could be made.
    If the independent is willing to pay for a Vadis system(or its new replacement) then they will be able to fix the electronics.
    The Volvo dealer will still be a better bet due to better training and the latest equipment.
    yes, thank you, grantchstr... i didn't see that other forum before I posted...sorry for the duplicate... what I'm still wondering about is the WHY for these incentives... the numbers seem better than I would expect for a normal model year change. Do you or others have any thoughts on this?

Also, I'm very curious to know what Volvo Finance has for residuals and MF rates for the 2005 S60 and S60R for 12K / 36 mos or 39 mos... Do I get that info from the leasing forum or here in the volvo forum? Any advice appreciated. I'm very interested in the S60R and may just jump since the price I'm looking at seems quite reasonable...

Thanks again and sorry for the messed up post.
    S
    I like the service from the Calabasas Volvo, however, the labor rate is soo expensive. The 90K maintenance was quoted (with the discount coupon) at $510 (no repairs), while I've got it from that friend of mine for $260 with the front wheel alignment.
    So, for as long as I have an extended warranty, I will use the dealer - after that I will take a chance with the independent shop.
    Greetings all - just wanted to share that I bought the S60R -- climate and premium package, magic blue with sand interior...

it won, hands down for me, over the Audi A4, new BMW 3, and MB C240... I'm absolutely thrilled and can't wait 'til my Saturday morning delivery...

Thanks to grantchstr and all the others on this and other forums for support and help!
    S
    Congrats!!
    Enjoy the car.
  • cruiser27cruiser27 Member Posts: 9
    I'm purchasing a new vehicle in July, and I'm leaning towards the S60-T5, but the Infiniti G35x AWD is still in the running. Since I drive 33,000 miles per year (and will keep the vehicle for 4 years), gas mileage is another aspect I'm looking into.
    I've heard the G's get lower gas mileage than the 17-24mpg it's rated at.

What kind of real world gas mileage are people getting with the T5?
    Are you using 93 octane, or 1/2 89 and 1/2 93 to average out at 91?
    What type of Interest rates is Volvo offering on 48 and 60mo. purchases?
    Infiniti is at 2.9% for 60mo purchase. They also have good lease rates, and only charge 10 cents per mile when miles are purchased up front...
  • tucsonbobtucsonbob Member Posts: 14
    Hello group:
    I recently purchased a brand new manual 05 Black S60R. The car listed for over 45k and I got it for 37K. I come from Audi and test drove the S4, A4, 06 BMW three, G35 Coupe and Subaru Legacy. By far the S60R is the most bang for the buck of any of these cars. I know some of the car publications have been negative regarding this automobile, however, I find the fit and finish superb and equal to anything German. The car is extremely stealthy and few even know what it is. It is fun to drive. At the hand car wash today, the cleaner said " You know I have been cleaning cars for over 10 years and this is the only Volvo I have ever liked." With the body kit, I agree.
    Without this group, I never would have found this car. Thanks.
    Hey TucsonBob -- Same story for me. I had been convinced that I was going to want the Audi, but when I drove the 2.0, I just wasn't as exciting. Plus, I didn't find the interior to be quite what I had anticipated. I loved the interior of the MB C240, but it was way at the top of my price range (well, okay, a little above it)... The BMW 325 was great, but once I put the "x" on it, it would be too much (plus, that would have meant waiting for fall...ugh)...

Fell in love with the S60R -- esp. the interior, which I find extremely comfortable -- and was able to get a deal very similar to yours and haven't looked back (well, except in the rear view mirror to see everybody fading into the distance...) Only thing that's kinda odd is the HUGE turning radius... It'll take me a little while to adjust, but once I know the new dimensions, no big deal... And yes, reading the info on this list was very helpful (thanks too to volvomax -- i forgot to mention him in my last post)...

I have never had a car before that I wanted to "baby" -- my wife hasn't stopped laughing at me for parking way out in the parking lot and looking out the window just to check on it... Geek heaven!

;-)
    Scott
    Say Jsyaruss:
    I believe the S60R was designed to compete with the S4 and M3. Of course,Top Gear slams the Volvo and says the Germans are better. Having driven all of them, I would say the Volvo is definitely different. The M3 is a flat out race car and not comfortable. The S4 is a better daily driver and the feeling of the large eight and all wheel drive makes the S4 a special car. As you know, with the three buttons on the S60R, we can change the car into different modes depending on our driving style AT THAT MOMENT. Pretty cool, eh? Anyway, maybe this car is not as good as the S4 or the M3 but when you get down to under 40k pricing levels, it blows away any A4 and BMW three series. The Volvo's Haldex transmission is the same as my TT and Getrag transmission (I think) is the same as Audi and most BMWs. Do you know Volvomax?
    Anyway, yes the turning radius is HUGE. When I first drove a S60R, I thought I was in a large car. I was shocked to learn the car is only two inches longer and two inches wider than the S4. Of course, when you are driving it you cannot even tell. It is only in parking malls/shopping centers, etc. you have to change your driving habits. I do not understand why the turning radius is so large but it must be the geometry of the car and the way Volvo configured it. Despite the one negative, the car is a hoot to drive, I love the blue dials and interior and did I mention the seats....to die for.
    Have fun.
    Hi TucsonBob - you know, you're right -- when I was looking at Audis etc., I never even considered the S4/M3 because they were out of my pricerange... Heck, even the A4 2.0 ended up at a higher monthly lease than my R -- it wasn't 'til I was at the Volvo dealer and I saw the R before I considered that class of car -- and of course it does indeed blow away the A4/325 that I had been looking at... Way cool ;-)

No, I don't know Volvomax...I just enjoyed reading his posts to this list. I've learned a lot from the whole Inside Line ...

Only problem I've had so far since I got my new car is that I haven't had enough opportunities to drive... ;-)

S
    Thanks for the links! Fun stuff...

And, have a great drive!
    The AWD system is sourced from Haldex. They also provide the TT's AWD unit.
    The S4 uses Audi's Quattro sytem.
    The R tranny is made by Aisin Warner, not Getrag.

Turing radius is due to small wheel wells and wide tires. Volvo should have flared the fenders to accomodate the tires, but that would have raised costs on the car.
  • dearabbydearabby Member Posts: 3
    hello everyone, hopefully you guys can help me. Last night I picked up my new 2005 S60, with a manual transmission and my question is, should I down shift or place it into neutral and use the brakes. In my past cars I had issues with downshifting, I was told I put too much pressure on the clutch, which caused problems. I forgot to ask the salesman last night.
    Also I noticed an earlier post about incentives and stuff. I got my car for almost 9000 off sticker. I was told they wanted to get rid of it since it was a manual. I don't care, I actually prefer a manual, either way it is still a volvo. They had the car marked with 5000.00 off but some smooth talking got them down even more. Also there financing is different with each model but Volvo only offer was like 1.9 or 2.9 for 36 months. I went with capital one, it seemed pretty easy. You get approved in minutes and they send you a blank check in the mail to fill out when you buy the car. So far it worked out nicely for me.
    Thanks Abby
    Thanks Volvomax for the info on Haldex and Aisin Warner. I knew you would know.

Abby, great negotiating.

Re shifting, although you may get different opinions, I find downshifting more fun than upshifting. I hardly ever use the brakes (except in an emergency of course) but rather use downshifting to control the speed downward. When I get down to a real slow speed, for example, at a red light, I slip the car from 2nd into neutral and use the brakes to come to a completer stop. If you can upshift, you can downshift. Just keep practicing...once you find the sweetspot in the clutch it will come naturally. Hope this helps and have fun driving.
  • dearabbydearabby Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, it does help. I just wasn't sure if I would be hurting the car if I downshifted. I would rather wear out a the brakes before the clutch, if you know what I mean. Also what do you know about what kind of gas to put in it. My salesman said that 87 is fine but i heard that you have less gas mileage with 87 and you get better gas mileage with a 91 or higher, is this true. As you can tell I never owed a Volvo better, yet alone a new car so this is all new to me. So far i love the car but a little hard to get used to. The car is so smooth I can't tell when i need to shift. another question. what RPM should I be driving in. It seems that around 40 i can still be in 3rd, is this right.

thanks abby
    around 40 you can be in 2nd, too, but that doesn't mean you should cruise around like that. Basically, when cruising at speed, you want to be in the highest gear possible without dropping the RPMs too low. And that really depends on the car and power. For instance, in my 350Z, if I'm steadily cruising in 5th at greater than 2000 rpms, that means i can go to 6th because it has no problem accelerating from 1500 rpms. But, in my Alfa, the car is not very happy at less than 2K rpms, so i usually keep it running at at least 2500. Does that make any sense?

I would think, even with a base s60, your line should be around 2K. So the highest gear possible that keeps you at or above the 2K mark.

I have used 87 in my S60 for 3 years........no problemo.....
  • mr_curious1mr_curious1 Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking for a new car for a few months and have recently come across the S60-R and this board. I've just found a steeply discounted brand-new 2004 S60R and am keenly interested in it.

Three questions:

(1) How does Volvo run its model year? Does the 2005 model mean that it is new in 2005 or new in 2004? My guess is that the model year=the year of introduction, but just want to be sure.

(2) Has anyone with a 2004 S60R experience anything negative with their car?

(3) Are there any questions you wish you would have asked the dealer before taking possession of the car but didn't?

Thanks very much.
  • volvocuriousvolvocurious Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I was looking for a Saab 9-5 but ended up test driving a 2001 S60 T5, which I quickly became obsessed with. I have a few questions:

1. The T5 I drove had a fantastic stereo system. I have since looked up several S60's on ebaymotors.com to view interior photos. Apparently, the head unit in my test S60 is very rare, because I have only seen one or two with the same characteristics. I remember this about it: It had three buttons ABOVE the CD slot, two of whose labels I can't recall except the third one, which was the selector for Dolby Surround Sound. My question is, what are the available systems on this year/model and what are the differences among them? Can I get the same sound from an S60 with the head unit that does not have those three buttons? Or was my test S60 equipped with THE premium sound system, and no other will sound the same?

2. The test S60 had 70k miles. This is a tad high for a 2001. The price was just under $14k. Any thoughts on this? I am under the impression that this will be a very reliable/mostly trouble-free vehicle. Am I wrong? Please let me know what types of things usually go wrong around 70k. Thanks!

3. A few people have complained about the turning radius. I am used to the handling of my Saab which can pull a U-turn in a space about double its width. My mother's Buick, on the other hand, takes more than two lanes of space to do a u-turn, and I usually have to reverse and straighten out a few times when parking it in a lot. Is the Volvo S60 going to be so cumbersome to handle in tight spaces? My main concern is parking between two cars (in lots as well as parallel) and taking sharp corners inside parking garages.

I really appreciate ALL of your help and insight! I look forward to your responses. When I finally get my S60, I will be sure to post my experiences here. :D
    Any thoughts on the reliability of the Geartronic. Seems like another thing to have repaired (at some point), but it was very fun to use. Under daily, full-time use, will this system eventually need work or is it fairly reliable?
    mr_curious1:
    What do you mean by deeply discounted? 05 S60R's are selling for 9K off retail. Why buy a car that has been sitting around for a year when you can get this deal?
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    If i could get 9K off retail on a simply equipped s60R, i might very well do it. CarsDirect only shows 4K off. All i'd want is climate and IAQS. $39,155 MSRP. Can i really get 9,000 off that???

dave
    Volvo had $3500 Marketing Support in April on the T5s ($2500 on the 2.5Ts).
    This was dropped in May.
    Does anyone know if it will be back in June or July?
    The car you drove has the Premium sound system,
    Regular system won't sound as good.
    Anyone own a 2001 T5 with around 70K? How has your experience been and what are the red flags I should look for?
    Dave:
    If you read this forum you can see many people are buying these cars for significant discounts off retail. However, it could be the major discounts are being offered to S60R's with manual transmissions? Let's face it the 06's will be out soon and Volvo wants to move these cars. Of course, your mileage will vary with what you want and how many dealers you have in your area. but I wouldn't be afraid to ask if I were you..at least a few dealers close to you. Good luck.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I've seen discounts, but i must have missed the 9K off. There is a volvo dealer a few blocks away from me. If they have a properly equipped s60R with stick for close to 30K i can cut them a check ( if i love it ).

Thanks for the advice!

dave
  • jdurbin1jdurbin1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 T5 with 12,000 miles 3 years ago this August. I will never buy another Volvo again! I enjoy driving the car but with 50,600 miles as of yesterday, my transmission went out. Of course, Volvo's warranty is for only 4 years (Feb 2005) or 50,000 miles so they don't want to cover the cost except for 1/2 of the parts. So a rebuilt transmission is almost $3600 and they will only cover $1300 of this. This car only has 50,600 miles!!!!!!!!! I have had this car in the shop more times than I have had all my other cars in the shop. In 2004, the rear main seal started leaking - fortunately that was warranty work. Because of the weight of the vehicle, a spring broke in the right rear - can't remember what that cost and now the right rear link rod is bad - that's another $160 in parts and labor. I can't make a sharp right or left turn because my tires rub. So - while it is fun to drive - too much is going wrong with it. Unfortunately I have 2 years left on the lease - live and learn.
    A 5-year lease?? On a used car??? Wow!

Certainly never advisable to have a leased car out of warranty. You are paying to fix something that you are essentially renting. That's rough.

I'm surprised you can't get them to cover more on the transmission. At just 600 miles out of warranty, I'd think they'd be willing to pick up more of the bill, if not all of it. Did you fight with corporate personally, or just the dealership?

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

Its scary that Volvo wont do the necessary at only 600 miles over......that stinks. Write a letter to an Auto mag and let the chips fall where they may!

I am approaching 50,000 on my 2001 which I bought after the lease expired. I hope I aint going to get this type of stuff happening. Incidentally I am still waiting after TWO MONTHS for my title and other necessary paperwork. If Volvo's cars were as slow as their paper pushers they would be out of the market.
  • brig1brig1 Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 volvo s60 has over 60K miles and we have had to make a lot of repairs already. we need to change the rotors every time we change the brakes, (better than the S40 which had to replace brakes every 8K miles) The transmission has given us a lot of problems, but we don't have the T5 so I can't compare.
    Volvo charges a lot of money for their repairs. for instance, we need to fix the motor mount which has cracked rubber, it is $160.00
    $14K sounds like a good price though, they would be at least $21 here in Silicon Valley
    My 2 cents - if you have to change the rotors every time you change the brakes - you would want to change a repair shop too!!!

I have S80 - 94K miles - has changed the pads 3 times but have original rotors. If you bring your car for a regular maintenance a decent mechanic should give you pretty accurate estimate when you need to change the brake pads, so you will not ruin the rotors.