Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    My indy says that he purchased a software package on the aftermarket and doesnt need to subscribe on a monthly basis....
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    really?
    AFAIK there are no "aftermarket" software solutions for Volvo proprietary software.
    We have a few independents that bring us the cars for downloads.
  • zenonezzenonez Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, we just yesterday bought an 02 5T with 24k miles and are on a loving-it learning curve. Is anyone familiar with the radio interface? :confuse: Our 803 radio does not have the 10 CD changer, and I see lots of other modes on the display; has anyone been able to use the changer audio input for the changer for XM or Sirius? Looks like there might be a slight programming hack involved, but that would make a direct connection from a Sat receiver sound great. :shades: Any other thoughts on the radio would be appreciated as well. Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    you might want to check with crutchfield.com. They have alot of adapters to change a stock CD-changer input into an Ipod or satellite radio input. You'll most likely need to call them and speak with someone to find the right adapter for your car.

By the way ... I'd say you've either mixed up your numbers/letters or someone broke the badge on your trunk. ;)
    Its either 2.5T or T5.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Volvo does offer Sirius radio for the S60.
    Any direct connection to the radio would require software.
    I don't know if Crutchfield or anyone has an aftermarket solution to the software issue.
    what exactly does the software do?

would you need to update the software if you added a volvo CD changer?

i'm just curious, because the adapter would only play through the stereo like the stock cd changer. so you are essentially fooling (for lack of a better word) the stereo into thinking you've plugged in the cd changer, that's all.

Granted, however, if the sirius upgrade from the volvo dealer allows you to change stations on the satellite using the stock stereo controls, then that might be a bit more convenient than using the satellite unit's controls.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

think of a Volvo as a big pc.
    Anytime you add hardware to a pc you need the software to run it.
    In the case of the radio, adding a changer alone won't work. The car's systems need to know the changer is there and this requires software.
    that really makes me second guess ever buying another volvo, i'm sad to say.

We are not alone in this.
    Any new luxury car has a similar system.
    Pretty soon, even run of the mill cars will operate this way.
    we'll see.

I know my '03 Lincoln doesn't have this problem, and neither does my wife's '05 Pacifica (of course, its arguable whether that is in the same luxo-category as volvo).

If it does get to the point where the answer to every new car problem (worse than that is for every mod you want to make) is "take it to the dealer," I'll find myself buying nothing but used cars.

If you read the questions I have posted about servicing you will see that new autos like the S60 (and most makes these days) are very sophisticated and operated by a whole series of computers and modules ( = mini computers). If something goes wrong you need the correct software to diagnose the problem or you are cooked - unless you can find an independent shop that actually has the software.... and my guess is that most wont tell you they dont have it........
  • rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    I would appreaciate any audiophile input regarding the sound quality of the base radio. $1200 for an upgraded "dynaudio" radio that does not include Sirius in my book is a little too steep. This may be a moot point given that you can't find the car equiped with this option on the dealer lot and I am unwilling to special order. Frankly, a 30K car should come standard with decent sound.

Also,any comments regarding dealer installed Satellite radio? Has anyone taken the plunge? I would be interested to hear whether the factory radio with Sirius displays the channel, artist, and song.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I consider myself as an audiophile, I play violin and can actually hear the difference in the sound quality between the different sound systems.
    The stock Volvo audio systems, IMHO, are among the best in industry. The only brand I know that have better stock audio is Lexus with their Mark Levinson. line.

I own S80 and XC90 with the stock audio and find S80's one very good and XC90's decent.
    I drive S60 occasionally, as a loaner (at scheduled maintenance) and believe that S60's one is on a par with XC90, i.e. quite decent.
    Compared to other base systems, our can hold its own.
    In fact it is better than most.
    The Premium sound system is very good, plus it coems w/ a cd changer.
    Again, compare the price of our system to the upgrade systems on Bimmers, Benzes and Lexus.

The Volvo Sirius radio will display artist, song, etc.
    I think that all depends on the issue. If something goes wrong with the computers themselves, yes. But, with the standard OBD2 interface still in use, issues involving the emissions and sensors should be diagnosable by most shops.

i'm sure that will change, but, as of now, most cars, AFAIK, still have OBD2 ports.

Where it does get hairy, even with my '98 volvo, is the special systems like ABS and climate control. While these things CAN be read through the OBD2, you do need the correct software to read the codes. As far as my code reader is concerned, nothing exists on my volvo beyond the engine. ABS and climate control errors don't appear at all in my reader's interface.

• rparkrpark Member Posts: 14
    Obviously, sound quality is in the ear of the beholder; everyone has slightly different tastes, so there is no right or wrong here; you need to listen to the base and optional systems and make up your own mind as to which is best. Me? I have an '04 S60AWD and it has the standard radio, not the upgrade. I find it to be merely average. I once had a '98 Maxima GLE w/ the Bose system, and I thought it was great. Our other car is a Lexus RX300 with the standard radio in it, and I find it far better than the Volvo, almost as good as the Bose in the Maxima. My 2000 BMW 528 had the standard radio; the sound quality was so bad BMW should be ashamed of themselves; and you really couldn't upgrade without spending a fortune, so I usually just kept it off. Just goes to show there is a wide variation offered by the manufacturers, so always try the radio when you test drive.
  • gns2001gns2001 Member Posts: 2
    Any problem with your 2004 S60 2.5t...my stalled on me, completely shut down. Also getting message "bulb failure, position" and traction triangle warning lights comes on. Is this a constant problem with this volvo model? should trade-in for VW...I love my S60, hope it does not come to this. H...E...L...P...ME
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    If I'm correct Volvo will introduce all the 2007 models in the middle of this calendar year and start their production early, just like they've done the last two model years right?
    Well,

the holdover models will arrive in August.
    The 07 C70 may not arrive until Sept.
    The new S80 won't be out until Nov-Dec.
    I just had my 20002 S60 through a 60,000 service which I thought was a major one (it cost me >$500) - and now I read that the BIG one is in fact 70,000...If the service interval is every 7,500 how does this compute with 70,000 miles exactly (ie shouldn't that be 75,000?). And is this when the Timing Belt and Water Pump need changing (and whats the cost of that?).
    The BIG service is the 60k
    Timing belt is done @ 100,000 mi.
    Isn't it 105K for the timing belt? (14 x 7.5)
    I reckon it must be 105K...........but the indy who just serviced my car said it needed to be done at 70K......which didnt seem right not least as 70K doesnt compute with 7500 service intervals. I am glad I asked the question as thats an expensive item to do uneccessarily. I dont intend to still have the car at 105K as I aim to sell it a few K before the 100K extended warranty expires.
    I took my chances and keep S80. 115K and going REALLY strong.
    70 k is early.
    Sometimes they are done a service early if they look worn or frayed.
  • bist2460bist2460 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, few months ago, i bought a 04 s60,it came with the body kit installed and it had 15" wheels, i was having problems with the front extended bumper touching in lot of places, like driving to my driveway, so i decided to buy 18" wheels, it did lift the car by 1 inche and tires on them are 245-40-18,though my problems are gone, but have new ones, the ride has gotten very bumpy, if the tires are changed to 225-50-18 will it help to smooth the ride - please help with advice ? Instead of going back of smaller wheels, there must be a solution - I hope ?
    ANY 18" wheel-tire combo is going to provide a bumpier ride than a 15" setup.
    You have alot less sidewall on the 18"s.
    You may experience a slight difference going to the 225's.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    With the new 80 series coming out later this year, when is the 60 series going to be updated? Sorry if this is a repeat question. Thanks.
    Approx 2 more years for the next S60.
    The S60 is evocative of the S80......so will the new S80 give us a clue about the shape of the new S60 coming down the pike?

And out of interest would it be better to sell a used S60 before the new model is introduced or does it make no difference to valuation? My thought would be that one could get a better price on a car which hasnt been superceded by a newer version....just a thought. (Of course in the situation like the BMW 7 Series the newer version was hated and the older shape sold at a premium!).
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    I don't think it will make much difference on the S60. The market will dictate the resale. The newer Altimas helped bring up the resale on the 99, 00, 01 Altimas even though the prev. generation was not up to par. On the other hand the newer 7 series was not very well received by BMW faithful and the prev generation holds better resale.

Now that I think of it the current generation S40 is 2 or 3 times the car that the prev generation was and I think those values are holding strong. :)
    Figure the new S60 will look alot like the S80.

Resale value on an older S60 shouldn't be affected by a new S60.
  • darkdonniedarkdonnie Member Posts: 1
    I have some moisture in my left headlight it is working fine is there a way to remove it or do i have to replace? S60 2001
  • bist2460bist2460 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, after having very rough rides with the 18" wheels, finally decided to go with the 17", Need advice, will 225/50/17 (rims 17x7) fit the 04, s60 ? And will the ride be smoother ? I was also thinking of 235/45/17 but i guess these don't fit 17x7 ?
    Thanks alot again.
    nbista
  • ima_pooleima_poole Member Posts: 1
    i'm a junior in high school. i am really looking at purchasing a used s60. i just wanted to know what y'all thought about the overall quality/workmanship of the 2001-2003 s60. i just dont want to get something that will start to fail with higher miles. I will save some money on the lower insurance rates, but if i'm going to have to spend big bucks on replacing crummy parts i will look into another vehicle. thanks guys. :blush:
  • mdwnbmdwnb Member Posts: 8
    Hi There,
    Don't want to burst the bubble but......the turning radius SUCKS HOT TAMALES. I have an 04' S60 2.5T with sports tuned suspension and 17" rims and the running joke is "Are we going to make it? Goodness, it is scary in tight parking garages and trying Uturns. Many, many times I cannot make a uturn. Very comfy car though. I also have a BMW 325i with sports tuned suspension and 17" rims and if you truly enjoy DRIVING, the experience...then hands down no comparison and the BMW has to win. I still love my VOLVO.
    The 225's will fit.
    Ride probably won't be much smoother though.
    You would need to go down to a 16" to have a noticeable difference.

235's require a 17x7.5 wheel. This is the standard size for Volvo 17"s.
    Our family has a 2001 S60 with 62,000 on the clock (which was bought from new) and we have the same question! The dealer where we bought the car told us that they dont have problems with high mileage S60s....So far so good, just new struts needed on warranty - as a result of lousy New York pothole filled roads.

My sons drove/drive this car at school and college and they love it.

If the car you buy has an extended warranty you can sleep easy....which is why we bought an extended warranty. When we sell the car the new owner will have the comfort of having up to 8 years and 100,000 coverage. I am sure that you would pay a bit more for a car with extended warranty wouldnt you?
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    FWIW, I agree on the turning radius. I've had the S60 for 2-1/2 years. I love the comfort, reliability, pick-up, and smooth ride. But... I recently moved from a suburban area to a more congested urban area, and I just can't do the turns. I'm surprised. I drove a Volvo 240 for years, and it had the tightest turning radius around.
  • leftcoast2leftcoast2 Member Posts: 13
    I have a S60T 2003 and the day I took it brand from the dealer I had noticed a Rattle coming from somewhere in the back left.It wasn't there on the test ride but I didn't go on rough roads.I thought it was the spare/jack making that noise and that I'd have to live with it. Today in for oil change. The mechanic took it for a test ride and asked me if I heard "that rattle in the back?" He had it up on the lift while oil was drained and took a wrench to the rear suspention nuts. There were many that he tightened and said that's probably it. I was surprised seeing some of these turning 1 to 1 1/2 times. He told me that it should have been done at the dealer while preping for sale off the truck. I was happy and thought problem solved. The mechanic took it for another test ride and said "it's still there." He then told me that the dealer should do this under the warranty. The top strut or the shock had to be tightened from the above side. I went to the dealer from there and told the service manager about this and he didn't seem surprised. He said something about the shock top rubber thing and it will be taken care of. I'm taking it in on Tues. the 28th and making sure they also look at the top strut as well. I hope to not hear that noise after that. I'll let you know. Keep the fingers crossed. Other than that the car has been a pleasure to drive. Oh yeah the driver seat get a NEW track on Tues. because of that ever sooo slight movement on stop and goes. That's about it for my Volvo.
  • themugsterthemugster Member Posts: 7
    Hi, all...my first post ever. I'm the happy owner of a 2004 Volvo S60-R w/all the premium/upgrade packages except ground FX, which looked to be just cladding, after all. I'm a few weeks away from swapping off the Blizzaks for new summer tires and wondered if anyone out there has any info to suggest that I should look beyond the Pirellis that came stock with the car, which were Z-rated P-Zero Rosso, 18x8 (235/40). I have no complaint with the Pirellis, but since there are other tires out there I thought I'd check on other folks' experiences with different brands. Although I'm not married to them, I've been getting my tires for years at Tire Rack, and within my parameters there (on their website, I mean), the options appear to be Dunlop, Conti, Michelin Pilot, Bridgestone Potenza, and of course the Pirellis. If I could pick up a bit more grippiness on wet, I'd be even happier, and would trade down to a V-rating for that, if necessary. Not counting their "closeout" sales on a couple of different Continentals, the price spread is only about $50 per tire, so in the overall scheme of things that's not an important factor for us. Volvo Racing's new theme is our goal: Safety Fast!
    Thanks in advance for any insights and experiences you can share.
    Tom in Albany, NY
    (I'll post this in both the "Volvo S60" and the "Tires" discussions.)
    I replaced the Pirelli's on my R w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 2's.
    Very happy w/ them, have them on my vette as well.
    The Goodyear Eagle F1 is also supposed to be a good tire, not as pricey as the Michelins.
  • themugsterthemugster Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, Volvomax. I'm headed in that direction myself after reading all the user reviews on tirerack.com. The PS2 is one of the very few tires with a high score (8.6/10, I think) on the question: Would you purchase them again? A co-worker has suggested I check out discounttires.com too, so off I go to see what the competition charges for them. ($241 each on tirerack.com.)
    Tom
    Yes I would.

Car and Driver ran a tire test a few months ago and the Goodyear finished first. Because it had the best wet grip.

The Pilots ride better than the P Zeros and are quieter.
  • leftcoast2leftcoast2 Member Posts: 13
    I kept hearing that rattle coming from the left rear since I bought the car. I thought it was the spare tire.My mechanic heard it on a test ride. He had the car on a lift and showed me that the bolts on the lower struts could be tightened more. He thought that it would solve the noise but not at all. I went to the dealer and the service manager heard it right away. He said "that shouldn't be." The next day my car was finished and NO MORE NOISE! They replaced both rear shocks and sway bar linkstand. I really like this vehicle even more now. I hope this helps anyone else with that mystical rattle coming from the back somewhere.
    I just had an odd thing happen on my '04 s60AWD with the seat memory. My wife needed to use the car (a rare occurrence) and when I got it back, the seat memory for settings 1 & 3 (she is 2) were gone. She used her key. When I went to drive it again & found the problem, I was using my key. I then checked it with her key, hoping that would help - same thing - gone. Anyone else had this happen? I will say the "upper module" software was updated last fall for the (psychotic) rain sensing wipers; the seat memory was wiped out then when that update took place. Thanks!
    Yikes! At 14.3K miles I noticed a drop of oil under my 04 S60AWD so took it in to have it checked. I also had them do the 15K service as well. I was shocked when they told me the angle gear was leaking and should be replaced; they needed to overnight in the part and would need to keep the car another day. They also said there was excessive play in the rear stabilizer links, so they replaced them as well. While I was happy that there was no cost to me (warranty), I am now worried about the reliability of this car (At 8K I had to have a front strut replaced). I don't drive the car hard, but the roads are lousy here in MA. Even so, this is the first time I have owned a car that has had such items fail. Does anyone know if the "angle gear" is a weak link in the Volvo AWD system? Any info or words of wisdom would be appreciated.
    just what the heck is an angle gear?

Ad how does gear (a piece of metal/alloy) leak?
    The angle gear is that which transmits power from the FWD based drivetrain to the AWD rear unit.
    It is called an angle gear because it has to transmit power at a 90 degree angle.

The gear itself doesn't leak, but the housing can. Just like a transfer case or differential.