Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Posts: 858
    Nope,
    I would not think so - bulbs are considered the normal expendables, but try...
  • haguehoghaguehog Posts: 1
    Confused7:

Hope the smell problem goes away and I have a slightly different question for you:

How much (or maybe more appropriately how much off MSRP or relative to Invoice) did you pay for your loaner? I'm looking at an S60 2.5T AWD which was the "retired demo" car used by the owner of the dealership. It has 6200 miles on it. As it is really loaded (premium pkg, climate, convenience, nav, sport, 6 disc CD and blue-tooth)it may be hard to compare directly, hence the question about relative to MSRP or invoice.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • confused7confused7 Posts: 25
    I don't really know exactly what invoice or MSRP was... low to mid 30s basically.

I paid $25,400 for the 2006 T5, which was put on the road late November 2005. It has more hp than the 2.5T (257 vs 208) and is a sports vehicle, meaning there's not a sport pkg per se. It had 7400 miles on it. The only package was Premium. No nav, no climate, only a single disc CD, no chassis choice (or whatever it's called - to make your ride less bumpy, which it will be if you get the 17" wheels - see my other notes above re this). But has things like: leather, auto-dim mirrors, power seats on both driver and pass side, satellite radio prep.

Didn't manage to find a car that had heated seats (being in So Cal and all that) but I negotiated a 6-yr 100k certified warranty into the deal... really wanted that.

Someone want to tell me whether I got a good deal or not?

Have you put in all the detail on your car to find out its MSRP?
  • leftcoast2leftcoast2 Posts: 13
    I concur. Bought my s60 2003 in Calabasas but live in SM. Service has been very good for all 3 visits. :)
  • confused7confused7 Posts: 25
    which place did you take the car for service those 3 visits, Calabasas or SM?
  • leftcoast2leftcoast2 Posts: 13
    Oh yes, sorry,not being clear. I go to Santa Monica Volvo in the AM just before opening. I had the fortunate pleasure to deal with Nino,who is the service mgr. and Martin for other visits whom I also give top service reviews. Drop the car off and they'll give you a suttle ride home :)
  • westhamwestham Posts: 11
    Hi again, Just to let you know I went to my local dealer in Pasadena, they replaced one bulb in rear tail light and one for license plate ................ no charge for parts or labor ........... covered under the 4 yr/50k warranty.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Take care
  • c60ownerc60owner Posts: 1
    My 2002 C60 (48,500 miles)has a slight vibration under 20 mph but it's not constant. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • floydflyfloydfly Posts: 1
    I just bought an '02, and have been getting about 20 in town (with quite a bit of lead-footing) (hey, it's new).
    Took it on a road trip, and got 30mpg in high altitude mountain driving.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Posts: 371
    I have a 2001 S60 and I recently received a letter from the Volvo dealer where I bought the car. The pitch is that they wanted 2001 S60s and were offering attractive trade-ins on new models - I am tempted to get a new S60. I suppose that this is just a "come-on"? Why on earth would Volvo WANT 2001 Volvos? If this were really true I might be interested. A negative point cropped up - apparently my expensive $2400 extended warranty purchase will be money down the drain as a warranty will not increase the value of my car for a Volvo dealer - however I am sure it will anywhere else.
  • What they really WANT is to sell you a new car. A dealer is in the car selling business. And they know how to negotiate the trade-off too...

Stay with your present one and make it fully worth the money that you already have paid. The longer you keep a car the cheaper it is to you relatively.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,424
    yes, its a "come on."

as for your warranty, if you really do decide to trade or sell, look into cancelling it for a pro-rated refund. Many companies do this. For instance, if you have a 4 year extended warranty and sell your car 2 years into that warranty, you call and cancel and they give you back about 50% the purchase price (a bit less, i'm sure).

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• Just purchased new 06 S60 T5. On test drive was told the bumpiness was probably due to "flat spots" on tires from sitting so long. After almost 200 miles still bumpy. One defective tire was replaced, all balanced, front end realigned, new computer updates on transmission & engine. It still seems excessively bumpy to me especially between 68 and 75 mph, and also on deceleration from 80 mph. I can't believe this is something to "get use to"!!! I understand the implications of tire size/model/etc but it just seems to be more than that to me. Any ideas?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    There is a difference between "bumpiness" meaning a stiff suspension and a shimmy due to flat spotting on the tires.

The T5 comes w/ Volvo's sport suspension so it is stiffer than most cars.
  • Thank you. That's why I took the car back yet again. I guess a better description would be vibration or shudder, felt in the steering wheel and even more evident in the driver and passenger seats. I find it odd that it increases on deceleration (letting off the gas / not breaking). This occurs regardless of the condition of the pavement---meaning also on smooth asphalt.
    well, if its a problem in the front wheels (which it sounds like), the reason it increases when you let off the gas is the shift of weight to the front wheels.

Hopefully they'll fix it for you. I can't really fault the salesman as he gave a plausible explanation (so he really could have thought this was the case). No offense, but you should never have bought that particular car. At least you now know for future reference that if something feels wrong on a car during a test drive, don't believe "its normal" "it will go away" or any other explanation. Find a different one to test and buy. There's just no reason to take a risk that it will be more serious.

• Simple physics make perfect sense ---thanks for the explanation. More than I received from the service center experts.

No offense taken. I'm just use to dealing with reputable dealerships. Eight new cars from one dealership (not Volvo) the past ten years. My first and last from this particular one.
    i hear ya. And, like I said, the salesman's explanation made sense and it was completely possible it could have been true.

Let us know how you make out.

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Besides the cosmetic restyle for the 2007 S60 will there be any major mechanical changes or updates?
    A couple of new options.
    Tire Pressure Monitoring
    Active Xenons(swivel w/ the wheels)
    Otherwise, no changes.
  • Well, as you said the salesman's explanation did make sense. It just seems that the service department didn't do all the work they said they did, and their explanation of "they all ride that way" was just so much b.s. I took the car to another service center and they showed me on the machine where it indicates one tire still has a flat spot and two of the tires were "severely" out of balance. The ride is already significantly improved and once the other tire is replaced I'm sure I will be more than please with the ride. I guess some dealers just try to make their money on "the sale" rather than building a customer relationship. Unfortunatly it's too bad for Volvo and their image. Ultimatly I'm pleased because I truly think the car is great. It was purchased for my 17 year old son who is going off to college after the first of the year.
    Well, before you castigate your dealer, your explanation of your complaint may have led them to their statement.
    When you came here and complained of "bumpiness" that is a term for ride quality, which all S60 T5's share.
    A wheel shimmy or vibration is a different matter and different terminology.
    Based on your complaint here, I thought you were refering to ride quality.
    Remember, going to your mechanic is like going to your doctor. You have to be very specific about what is wrong.
  • i'm a bit confused on the ipod support for the 07 s60s. i remember reading somewhere (here?) that there would be a standard input jack on the stereos in 07 that would support ipods (and other mp3 players). the picture of the stereo on the volvo web site looks exactly the same as my stereo in my 04. also, the ipod adapter is still shown as an available accessory for the 07s. can someone (volvomax?) give us the definitive rundown on ipod options for 07?
    thanks,
    mike
    There is no Aux input on the 07 S60's.
    Only on the 07 S40's and XC90's and C70's.

Volvo makes an ipod jack that is a dealer installed item for the S60.
  • ok...we've got that adapter on our 06 xc70 awd. it's an
    okay solution...certainly better than an fm transmitter,
    but not as good as an aux input. although the fact that it keeps the ipod fully charged is nice.

thanks,
    mike
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A reporter seeks to talk with longtime Volvo owners. Please send your daytime contact info and a sentence or two about your Volvo ownership history to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 27, 2006.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Anyone know a place in the LA area that does good work installing GPS systems/after-market sound systems, etc.? (I've got a 2006 S60 if that makes any difference...) Or should I go to a Volvo body shop and if so, which?
  • HI- well I DID just buy a new 2007 S60 only to have the transmission completely fail at highways speeds after just 5 weeks. I have been disgusted with Volvo's response. The car is just sitting in service for 6+ days waiting for the new transmission to arrive (by boat, perhaps???) Meanwhile Volvo has refused to do the right thing and just swap it for another car and the dealer has given me the run-around. I will NEVER buy another Volvo again. My second car is a VW Passat which has never had problems after 100,000 miles. I bought the Volvo for its famous safety and reliability. The German cars also handle/steer much better. Sorry I bought it.
  • I have the S60T 2003 and have recently been driving all city miles. I checked the MPG on my last fill and calculated 14 per gallon. I'm not a lead foot. Is there cause for concern since my warrant will be up next year. Should I take it in to the dealer and have whatever checked? Is there the possibility of a software problem? Thanks for your time in responding.
  • cj7375cj7375 Posts: 15
    I am on the market for a car 1-2 years old. The choice came down to Accord V6 (2004-2005) and S60.

I am leaning towards S60 but the wife can not decide. The car is for her.

What confuses me is what I read here ....

"S60 2.5T AWD brings still more power and all-wheel drive. Last year's all-wheel-drive model was powered by the same engine as the 2.4T. New for 2003, the 2.5T AWD model runs with a slightly larger-displacement five-cylinder, still using light-pressure turbocharging to produce a responsive 208 horsepower and 236 pounds-feet of torque. The torque peaks at a super-low 1500 rpm for low-speed pulling power. The Geartronic automatic is standard. The Sport Package ($750) adds 17-inch wheels, 235/45R17 tires and T5 model's front and rear sport seats."

"S60 T5 uses a high-pressure turbo to produce 247 horsepower and 243 pounds-feet of torque for truly pulse-quickening acceleration. A five-speed manual transmission is again standard, with the Geartronic automatic a $1200 option. Aluminum mesh replaces woodgrain in the interior. Power-adjustable sport seats and a trip computer are standard. The T5 Sport Package ($750) adds 17-inch wheels, 235/45R17 tires, and a stiffer suspension. The Premium Package for the T5 ($1995) adds leather and power moonroof."

In other words the AWD using the 'Low Press. Turbo" will have more low end torque, than teh "High Press. Turbo" found in T5 .... which really kicks in at 4,000 rpm, not before.

Looks like I will be better-off going with AWD instead of T5 ?

Opinions are appreciated