Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

1555657585961»

Comments

• Better than the EPA 18/26. For that first year, I lived in the country and did a lot of highway miles in trips to cities. In good weather on good roads, I would get 30-33 mpg. City mileage drops it considerably, but my overall accumulated average, is still about 25 mpg. It drops noticeably in winter and increases in summer. My last tank, which had lots of city mileage along with a couple of longer highway trips (I've moved back to the city), was about 23 mpg. For a 300 hp AWD vehicle with only a 6 speed transmission, I am very pleased.

I hear they will now be offering the T5 with AWD. That would be a good choice as well. Two things I would change with the car if I could: an 8 speed transmission should be offered, and I wish mine had been set up with the comfort suspension with 17" wheels, rather than the dynamic one. Milwaukee has far too many streets in dire need of resurfacing.
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

How's the turning radius on your T6? On the last generation S60, the turning radius was huge, even for a FWD car. I wonder if the new model has improved in this area.
  • THe FWD model is better than the AWD in that regard. Having a straight 6's length between the front wheels makes the turning circle larger. However, I have never encountered a situation where it seemed too big for my needs.
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Any indication from Volvo when the 2013s will arrive?
  • Nothing appears to be that much different from the 2012s. However, the XC90 and the S80 should both be new in 2014. I am still hoping that they will reconsider and bring either the XC40 or S40 here. Volvo needs more models...and more dealers.
  • jpek42jpek42 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a new 2013 A60 (T5 AWD) in Michigan over the weekend, and will have an overnight TD tonight. So ... they're out. Very nice vehicle!
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Just took delivery of a Flamenco Red 2013 S60 T5 (FWD). I have the Platinum, Climate and Tech packages plus blind spot warning. I am learning and playing with all the new technology. If anyone is interested, I'll post my impressions in a couple of weeks.
  • tea5tea5 Member Posts: 1
    For 2013 options are now bundled in packages. The rear view camera, previously a freestanding option, appears to now only be bundled with the highest-level Platinum package. Can this be true? Rearview cameras are mundane and inexpensive but very useful. Am I required to purchased a built-in navigation system with less functionality than my smartphone if I want a rearview camera on this vehicle?
  • Most options were always bundled in packages since the 2011 new body. The rear camera has never been a free standing option. The FRONT camera was a free standing option, however. With 2013 models, the front camera now reads posted speed limits and reports them to your digital readout. I don't know that it is worth paying extra for, but a rear camera is very useful as you say.

Volvo seems a bit slow in spreading some options (like the rear camera and keyless go) across the line. I think they cut here and there on less loaded cars to bring the price in under some of the European competition.

I have the rear camera on mine, because I also have the nav system. It may not be state of the art, but I like it a lot. The screen is easy to read, it takes verbal commands easily, hushes the stereo while delivering commands, and nvariably routes me around traffic jams in real time. My smart phone may do things as well or better, but Bluetooth is another level of complication to get verbal commands to work as easily. Volvo also provides you with two free nav updates that come at about 18 month intervals.

Volvos are great cars and the S60 is the safest car out there, bar none. Getting all the bells and whistles can be done with a greater discount than some other brands. Plus, wait six months and buy a loaded certified used which will have a better warranty than a new one, and be indistinguishable from new.

If you really want a new car without nav, you could also go with European delivery. You get an instant 7% discount, plus a free European vacation, and the ability to order cars in ways they are not delivered here.
  • cheisecheise Member Posts: 1
    I have a catalytic converter from a 2006 S-60 T5 I would like to sale. It was taken off the vehicle by the dealer at approximately 5k. Does anyone have advice regarding a fair asking price and best way go about the sale?
  • vwdawgvwdawg Member Posts: 162
    Hi Gregg: You seem to be in the know about a Yank purchasing a Volvo in Europe, doing the vaca thing and having it shipped to the States. Does the cost of shipping it end up being more than the 7% discount? Can one buy any Volvo model there, including the S60's with the smaller (1.4 L) diesels...i.e., can the diesels be legally shipped across the pond. The whole idea appeals to me! Thanks for info... vwdawg
  • The 7% discount includes r/t airline tickets for two, a factory tour and the shipping home when you are done with your fly/drive. You cannot of course import a car with an engine that is not certified for sale here. However, you can get some options that do not affect emissions that are available there but not offered here, such as the heated rear seats.
  • bpvolvo8bpvolvo8 Member Posts: 7
    I recently leased a 2013 Volvo S60 T5 FWD with premier plus and climate packages. I am very happy with the look and feel of the interior and the way that it drives. It is smooth and has plenty of power. The only two issues that I have are that there is very little rear passenger leg room (which isn't really an issue for me since I have two carseats in the back), and the suspension isn't great (I feel every bump). All in all, I am very happy.
    I've had a FWD 2013 S60 for about 6 mos. Great car! Mine rides very smoothly on good roads, bumpy on rougher roads. Check your tire pressure. When I got mine home all 4 tires were at 42 PSI. 38 PSI is what is recommended. Enjoy your car!
  • volvobuffvolvobuff Member Posts: 35
    Have your dealer check to make certain that the shipping blocks were removed from the suspension. An amazing number of cars get delivered by Volvo dealers with the blocks still in place.
  • Also, it makes a big difference whether you have 17" wheels with the "comfort" suspension, or the 18" wheels with the much firmer suspension, which mine has.
  • vkeservkeser Member Posts: 1
    Hi All, I'm a newbee, so please be polite

I got my 2013 S60 just a few days ago, it has many features including "Speed sensitive steering",

the thing is I notice no difference between steering settings low -> mid -> high.

How is it supposed to work?, I thought that the "High" should be the higher support to the steering which makes it softer than other settings.

Could you tell me how this normally works, what difference I should see between settings so I can be sure it has no problem,
    thank you.
    The designations low, medium, and high refer to steering effort, resistance, or weighting, not support. I found substantial noticeable differences among the three settings. You should make certain that you are actually selecting the desired setting using the thumbwheel (scroll to the setting by rolling the thumbwheel, then push the thumbwheel firmly to select) before exiting the menu.
  • Or set it with the "My Car" settings in the dashboard screen. Low definitely means low effort. If you set it on high, you will use more effort to steer.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Does anyone know how much below invoice Volvo employee pricing is? I'm intrigued by Volvo offering employee pricing thru Costco, plus the $500 cash card Costo throws in for leasing/buying thru this program. I'm lookiong at an S60. Thanks.
    Volvo employee pricing = invoice, less any current incentives.
  • amoszamosz Member Posts: 38
    Hi

I am also interested in this costco program with volvo. Does it work with leasing it as well?

Also, as we may be starting our family in the next year or two, how is this car with car seats?

Thanks
    Otis.
    I have a 2013 S60 T5. A great car but the back seat is tight. Not a factor for me as it's just my wife and me. You'll want to look at that real closely before you make your decision.
  • It is tight, but comfortable. Try it. The back seat certainly isn't noticeably tighter than similar sized cars (Buick Verano, BMW 3, Lexus IS). If you are tall and want to ride back there a lot, then look elsewhere.
  • amoszamosz Member Posts: 38
    I don't see myself ever riding in the back seat. None in my family are that tall, so the leg room shouldn't be a huge concern.

Its more about fitting 1 or 2 car seats in there and needed accessories for children.
  • snarf1464snarf1464 Member Posts: 2
    We just ordered our S60. We installed the car seatsh into a demo model before ordering. The car seats for my 18 month old and 5 year old fit just fine. I bet it's a little tighter when the car seats are rear facing, but you can put it in the middle which helps.

I like a lot of leg room when I'm driving, so we found rear facing baby seats were tight in our Acura TLS and MDX as well.
  • htwired1htwired1 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I have had my 2012 Volvo S60 T6 for over a year and have driven it for more than 15,000 miles. It has been a great value and a pleasure to drive. Others have commented about the lack of a spare tire. The combination of low profile tires and 18 inch alloy wheels makes driving without a spare tire absolute foolishness. I hit some road debris. Both wheel and tire will have to be replaced. Fortunately the tire is still holding air, but that was simply my good luck. When I replace the wheel and tire tomorrow, I will also order a spare tire and tire jack. With this one exception I love my S60.
  • The lack of a spare is usual for many vehicles, and soon will be the norm for most. Spare tires are going away. They are dead weight and they take up space. Lots of people like yourself will order one anyway, but it will less and less be standard. Yes, I know all the arguments against going without one. However on the other side of it, tires rarely fail today. On my last three vehicles, the spare was never out of the trunk. I had a small pickup with 170K and the original spare. Run flats are also improving. BMW is eliminating them. The Tesla does not come with one, even if you pay over $100K for one. Even in your case, with damage, the car is still drivable. You will of course have more peace of mind having a spare, but you won't have any trunk space. There is no well for a spare (those are on the way out too).
  • htwired1htwired1 Member Posts: 3
    I now have my spare tire. The extra wheel cost a mere $350. The jack another $70. The good news is that the trunk can accommodate the spare tire, my gold clubs, golf shoes and my yoga mat, but not much more. I'm happy.
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    Love my new S60 but at the 600 mile mark, yes 600 miles, I picked up a 2" hex-head sheet metal screw in the shoulder of one tire. Drove right to the tire store as it was going down fast. Of course nobody will patch a puncture unless it's smack dab in the middle of the tread. So $173 and a day later I'm back on the road.
    As for a spare tire, you don't need it until you need it.
    Will be interesting to see if, over time, consumers revolt and demand more than an air pump and a can of goo.
  • I doubt they will. Your experience is truly regrettable, but the vast majority of people are lucky enough to drive on all 4 tires until they are worn enough to warrant buying new ones. Tires are just so much better than they used to be. With manufacturers looking for weight savings everywhere they can these days, more and more models have a spare as optional. Like it or not, this is the way things are going, and they will not go back to spares being standard. Sorry for your mishap. That truly sucks. But it is like you won the lottery the wrong way.
    My gut tells me you're right but it would be nice to have the option of a spare tire.
    Sure, one can find a donut spare and jack kit but Volvo has eliminated the tire well in the S60 trunk whereas other mfgrs have kept the well but inserted a removable storage tray that can be sacrificed for an aftermarket spare.
    Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker when it came to my purchase decision but then I didn't know that a flat will usually result in a new tire purchase, as well as $50 or so for a new one-use tire inflation kit.
  • Yes. True. Not sure why Volvo eliminated the tire well. Now when you buy their optional spare, it takes up a good portion of the trunk space.
  • kellyjd3357kellyjd3357 Member Posts: 1
    You are SOOOOO right!

In the case of a car with a supplied spare tire/jack it would only be the driver's fault in the event he or she is stranded from a flat tire if he or she did not properly maintain it (i.e. the spare tire).

In this case, the FAULT IS VOLVO's for not supplying a properly emergency equipped vehicle (i.e. a spare tire and jack).

And THANK YOU. I am marking VOLVO off my list. That also goes for any other car manufacture who is irresponsible like VOLVO!

P.S. Supplying a can of FIX-A-FLAT is a joke!
    I bought a 2013 S60 T5 FWD over 1 yr. ago. The no spare was almost a deal breaker for me. But the car has been great and I have no regrets. I also got lucky. I sprang for the donut spare for about $250.00. When I went to take delivery, there was no spare. When I balked at taking delivery, the dealer apologized and I got a spare 2 days later for free.

I think Volvo is making a mistake. They have a justly deserved reputation for building safe cars, but make you pay extra for a donut spare. Very short sighted.
  • It may seem like a joke, but spare tires are one of those pieces of equipment that are going to largely disappear. What with run flats and better engineering of all tires, most people trade in or turn in their cars without ever touching the spare. Manufacturers see it as a way to cut weight/save fuel, and these days, every little bit counts to get to those higher mpg numbers required each year. So, like it or not, it will become one of those things that you will have to special order.

Knock on wood, I haven't used a spare in decades. My 2011 S60 T6 does not have one. My previous car was driven for almost eight years with a full size conventional spare aboard. Wish spares were a given, but they are probably toast in a few short years.
  • medmdmdmedmdmd Member Posts: 41

@jeffm5 said:
    I bought a 2013 S60 T5 FWD over 1 yr. ago.

The Technology Package seems to be tough to find especially without also getting the Platinum Trim level.

It seems like a great safety feature.
    Surprised it is not more popular or even standard.
    Even more surprised that it is not bundled with the Blind Spot option package.

Has anyone found the Technology Package was worth the extra $1500?

Any impressions or advice on the Tech and BLIS packages would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

• BLIS is valuable to me, because I am blind in my left eye and it really helps with the left hand side blind spots. The technology package is invaluable to me as well. The adaptive cruise control is addictive and something I would not want to go with out on any future car. It works flawlessly following safely in traffic, braking gently if someone cuts in in front of you, and will go in bumper to bumper traffic safely without you ever touching the accelerator or brakes. The lane departure warning is an OK addition.

My 2013 S60 makes a groaning sound only when I make a fairly hard right turn.
    It sounds like it's coming from under the console area. Any thoughts?

• mezunnmezunn Member Posts: 2
    gregg_vw said:

I doubt they will. Your experience is truly regrettable, but the vast majority of people are lucky enough to drive on all 4 tires until they are worn enough to warrant buying new ones. Tires are just so much better than they used to be. With manufacturers looking for weight savings everywhere they can these days, more and more models have a spare as optional. Like it or not, this is the way things are going, and they will not go back to spares being standard. Sorry for your mishap. That truly sucks. But it is like you won the lottery the wrong way.

• mezunnmezunn Member Posts: 2
    Due to Toronto winter potholes, I have now had 2 flats, where a spare would have been nice. This winter I will carry a spare, which eats up most of the small trunk. I have a 2011 s60' and would never again buy a car that does not have a "trunk well" for a spare or a donut.