Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S60

Comments

• bornzobornzo Posts: 19
    I am looking for a little help, I am thinking of looking at the S60T and was wondering about the seating. I am 6'4" and 250, are there any guys my size driving this vehicle. If so are you comfortable in the vehicle. I really like the S60T. I hope it is not too small.

Thanks
  • esp63esp63 Posts: 27
    The 2.4T is definitely the best balanced of the 3 levels. I walked away from my s70 because it had the non-turbo 168hp engine and it wasn't sufficient in do-or-die merge situations. I have a 2002 s60 2.4T and it's all that and a bag of chips. I think that if you go beyond the 2.4T to the T5, you may as well start considering the competition's sports offerings- it's not quite as balanced as it should be. The 2.4T is a very comfortable, graceful car with very good handling characteristics. As for headroom, it's deceptively good. Of course, I'm not 6' 4" but between the adjustment range of the seats and steering wheel it just might fit the larger driver.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Geez, I found the 168 HP engine on my S90 to be quite exceptional for merging, passing, etc. Def the most powerful engine on any of the 4 Volvos I owned....

Of course, I now have a 255HP (Nissan Max) and that baby roars....lol
  • esp63esp63 Posts: 27
    At highway speeds, passing wasn't so bad. For instance, jumping from 65 to 75 was alright. When I lived upstate NY and didn't HAVE to use the accelerator for defensive-driving, my s70 was a wonderful car. However, when I moved to S. Florida and had to merge into a sea of beligerant lunatics, I was boxed into the merge lane and at their mercy way too often. Unfortunately, there are people who like to take out their aggression by toying with other drivers. Sometimes the best way to avoid trouble is to shoot ahead of it before it can catch you. The normally aspirated engine couldn't do this and the light-turbo does it pretty darn well. Of course, the horsepower wars have heated up and even the formerly modest Altima can be had in pony-car trim...
  • t6tolert6toler Posts: 19
    Your are quite mistaken on your horsepower values. All 960s and S90s starting in 1995 came with a 2.9 liter, 181hp inline six. No wonder you were pleased with the acceleration, your car had thirteen more horsepower and was a much smoother engine than the non-turbo 2.4 liter inline five. Incidentally, the same engine is now 197hp in an S80 2.9.
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    It was 181HP....wouldn't think 13 add'l HP would make that much of a difference though....having said that, I now recall my 850 had the 168 HP and that car moved OK (lack of acceleration was never a problem), though not as "zippy" as the S90. Guess that's why I bought the S90 instead of the S70...lol
  • xmf314xmf314 Posts: 154
    I have an S60 with the 168HP engine. Acceleration is adequate for my needs, whether it's city driving, freeway driving, or even cruising up to the 8,000+ feet level in the local mountains around Los Angeles.
  • fedakjfedakj Posts: 5
    The CAN and USA models are not identical in basic configuration and the option list is unique for each country. Therefore, direct comparison is not realistic. Based on my experience, in Canada we pay less for the base car and for the options.
    Ask a large Volvo dealer in your area or call
    McMillan Suanders at 906-677-4320 for correct information.
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    I'm 6'2" and over 250# and found the S60 just too tight to be comfortable. Also ruled out the TL & A4 for same reasons. Now making final choice of A6 vs staying with a GS300 mainly due to space considerations. Had considered 9-5's and found space ok but wanted more luxury than it really offered.
  • holmgrenholmgren Posts: 3
    Rolling in on the power topic, the S60s 168hp is sufficient in most situations. I live in Germany and have no problems with passing or merging on the autobahn...not sure how the automatic kick-down is though since I have a 5 speed. Good situational awareness and third gear have served me well here. Just don't cut in front of a someone going 140! The base Volvo does well here and is comfortable up to 115-120 mph. I would encourage potential buyers to look seriously at the base S60 with the 5 speed...although I've never seen one on the lot in the states (mine was Volvo Overseas ordered).
    Had you considered the Volvo S80? The driver's room as well as the backseat and trunk room is generous. The seats in the T6 sedan are slightly different (more comfortable, more supportive) than in the 2.9 sedan. Staying with your Lexus is a fine choice, but between the A6 and an S80 the reliability reports are the same, so your only decision would need to be based on your overall comfort and driving impression.

Good Luck! And let us know your choice!
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    Hi everyone, just got through reading all the posts and you guys have been extremely informative. I have a 2002 S60 T5, black sapphire metallic with black leather and aluminum trim to match the spaceball...it is stunning! It finally came in after 90 days and is sitting in a lot waiting for me to pick it up! Questions:

1. ISO-FIX I can't seem to get a straight answer on whether the car has it or not. Anybody know? How does a carseat fit in the S60 anyways?

2. Tires. Not a fan of all-seasons, the car comes with P6 all-seasons, and I got a credit and went with Dunlop SP8000s instead. I need winter tires anyway so might as well get summers, right? Just wondering for those who have serious tires on the S60, has this improved the handling and sportiness substantially? Any experiences?

3. Sport Suspension. I ordered the Sport Package which comes with DSTC and the 17" THOR wheel. Anybody else have this? Seems lke the mags always get the 17" Tethys wheel but no Sport Susp. Any experiences with this package?

Thanks for any input.
  • desaljsdesaljs Posts: 24
    cmnott,

I do have a recommendation for you on Winter tires. I drive a 2001 S60 2.4T and went with a package from tirerack.com. I ordered Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires(205/55/16) on Sport Edition Fox 5 wheels. I found this to be a great package in terms of noise and handling on wet and dry roads. I never had a chance to test in heavy snow (an easy Winter here in central Illinois), so I cannot attest to how well they work in deep snow. The wear has been negligable so far (about 4000 miles) and I am very pleased with them.

Enjoy your ride!!
  • thequillthequill Posts: 4
    Once again Consumer Reports (Cars 2002) does not recommend the Volvo S60. Can any of you S60 owners shed any light as to why?
    Consumer Reports magazine fails to recommend many cars that are still popular with drivers: BMW X5; Mercedes S-class, M-class, and CLK coupe; Audi TT and A6; Volkswagen New Beetle; and Volvo V70 and S80 among many others. CR is not entirely consistent in their recommendations. In one book or mag they will recommend a car model and in another they won't or will give it a different "bubble". Case in point: the Volvo S80. In the April 2002 magazine, the car is given a solid black dot (bad) on page 71 because of its three model-year average reliability, then on page 89 the 2001 model is given a checkmark to indicate that for the 2001 model only the reliability has been at least average compared to all other 2001 cars. So CR can be misleading.
  • tensortensor Posts: 25
    I think the problem with Consumer Reports is that their sample is only their subscribers. They tout virtually everything Japanese, most people pay a premium for what they get and don't like to admit that something is or went wrong. We have a had a couple of Japanese cars in the family and found them to be no better or worse than others we have had. They can have things go wrong just like any make. After all, look in the service departments of a Honda or Toyota dealer and they are totally booked. Everyone cannot be in there only for an oil change.
  • lisa62lisa62 Posts: 7
    Greetings, fellow Volvo nuts! I'm new to your forum, and I'm considering buying an S60 very shortly. My current lease ends late April, so I've been out visiting dealers these last 2-3 weeks, and I have a test drive scheduled this weekend at one of them. Your postings tend to be insanely informative, so I thought I'd go ahead and join your forum (after many months of watching), because I need your help with a few questions.

An aside -- Hey, rollie...go Tech!!! I'm a geek, er, I mean a *grad*, too, 93 & 95. Your postings are all quite informative. Thanks...

OVERSEAS DELIVERY QUESTIONS:
    Timing: The website says it takes 10 to 12 weeks to get it here, and something like 40 to 50 days once you turn it in at the port over there. Anybody know how "booked" their build schedule is at the moment? Anybody get one recently (Feb/March?) and know what the timing is/was like? Because I only HAVE 10 or 12 weeks before I need to have it in hand, and if they're backordered or something, it'd blow my timing needs. (10-12 weeks is already too close for comfort.)

OSD Price: Do any of you recall what your pricing was like on your OSD S60's? I've read your T5 posts, but I'm looking at the base 2.4 (non-Turbo), and I'd like the auto trans (not Geartronic), MIMAS 16" alloys, and probably leather & CD, but not a whole lot else. Why am I asking YOU guys? My dealer has been anything but forthcoming with this info -- after several phone calls to them about OSD. When I first asked they told me timing was REALLY like 24 weeks! I countered that the website said 10-12. They then backed down, but I still can't get pricing out of them. They're acting almost "secretive" about OSD, and it has taken me 3 phone calls just to get what little info I now have. I know they'd rather sell me something off their lot, but is there any OTHER reason for the resistance I'm getting? I'm not even saying I'm going to do it. I just want info on it to see if it's worth it price-wise (and if it can meet my time constraints). I thought I read that they get some type of incentive if I do OSD. Maybe it stinks?

Don't know about you guys, but the thought of savings thousands on my dream car *and* getting a free trip out of it, to boot, is just too cool to pass up! Any details, prices in particular, would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for any OSD details you might have.
    I saw a post about this a long time ago, but never saw an answer, so I'll go ahead and ask.

Does getting your Volvo serviced somewhere OTHER than a Volvo dealership void your 48 mo/50K warranty? I can see why you'd want to have major repairs done at the Volvo dealership (using Volvo parts), but is there any harm in paying an oil-change chain to do oil changes for $20 rather than the $50+ at the Volvo dealership, assuming you're handy enough to do the other stuff like check your tire pressures & fluids?

Call me a cynic, but I fear I won't be getting a straight answer when I ask my dealer this question, because they have a vested interest (profit!) in me using their facilities & services.
    Apologies if this is not the proper forum to post this question, but this didn't seem to fit under any of the other Volvo Owners Club board titles.

I'm seeking Southeast Michigan dealership service experiences. I scoured the web for comments about service experiences at Volvo dealerships here in Southeast Michigan (Sesi, Dwyer & Sons, Suburban), and didn't find much. I'm no shade-tree mechanic, so I'm bound to be in the service department of one of these three at one point or another, even if it's just for regularly scheduled maintenance. Do any of you Volvo owners here in SE Michigan have anything to share, good, bad, or otherwise?
  • alfaberalfaber Posts: 19
    thequill: I think CU feels that Volvo quality has slipped recently. To get a recommendation, the car not only has to be good, but the reliability has to be somewhat above average. This is presumably why so few American cars are recommended.
    As a satisfied 1995 850 Turbo owner, I was very distressed to see this when I was shopping last year for a new car. Reading the S80 board here was even more depressing. I ended up with an Infinit I35 (after test driving an S60 among others) as being the best value and most reliable near-luxury car I could find. I felt the S60 was a bit overpriced, was a bit small, lacked a nav system, and under the new Ford regime, might have questionable reliability, though I had been very happy with my 850.
    --Andy
    For anybody else interested in overseas delivery PRICES, there is a very small "click-able" menu right below the S60 description header at the OSD site. I can't believe I didn't see it the first 5 or 6 times I went there, but FYI, it's there! As for timing, I'm still curious about when orders being placed now (late March) are scheduled to be built. Thanks.
  • thequillthequill Posts: 4
    Thanks to all who responded to my query about Consumer Reports' view of the S60. Ironically, the only Volvo recommended by CR in its Cars 2002 issue is the S40, yet the scuttlebutt among mechanics at Volvo dealerships is that the S40 has reliability problems. Go figure.
    thequill
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Posts: 193
    If you need information on Volvo OSD the best place to go is the message board at Volvospy.com (vvspy.com). Post your questions under the General topic heading and ask Steve (a Volvo salesman in the Carolina area who specializes in OSD) for his assistance. This gentlemen is amazingly helpful and is constantly posting answers to OSD questions. He has answered a number of mine including how leasing is handled on OSD and time limits for ordering and picking up, etc.

I myself am in southeastern Michigan but am not a Volvo owner yet. A friend recently bought an S80 at Dwyer but has not taken it in for service yet so no feedback.

Good luck in your research.
    Thanks, cayennered1, for the tips. Very helpful! And by the way, I landed at Dwyer, too. Was there today for my test drive, in fact. And luckily for me, they were unloading an S60 2.4 spec'd out exactly how I wanted it just as we were arriving! There it was, my 426 Silver Metallic w/Graphite interior - 16" Mimas alloys, prem pckg, automatic, and cold weather. I couldn't believe it! I didn't get to test drive that, but did test another one equipped just like it. I go pick it up 4/4 -- can't wait!!!! Thank you for the OSD tips & name of your friend's dealer. Much appreciated. Happy motoring...
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Posts: 193
    Looks like you've decided to forego OSD for grabbing that Silver with Graphite they were unloading

I have experience with the identical car that you're looking at as I rented one in South Florida in December. 2.4, Silver with Graphite, Premium, Auto, Mimas. The thing that most impressed me about the car was the seating comfort. I can't ever remember experiencing such comfortable seats. Hope you get a good deal and the best of luck.
    Just wondering. I checked out my S60 T5 that is getting tinted and I pick it up April 2, and was wondering when do the light under the side mirrors come on? Maybe because the car was not PDI'd yet they didn't work. Is that something that works when you hit the "unlock" key or when the key goes into the lock?

Also, I just noticed that the turn signals are amber, I thought they were red like the Taillight, or did I not see it all along?

Thanks and obviously very eager to get into my T5.
  • desaljsdesaljs Posts: 24
    cmnott,

The mirror lights on the S60 are part of a system called "approach lighting". They are activated, along with parking lights and interior lights, from the remote control. You push a yellow button and all these lights come on. Very handy when you approach the car at night and also in the garage to help you find your way. They go off in about 30 seconds, or you can hit the button again to shut them off. Very nice safety feature.
  • Dear Fellow enthusiasts:

Thanks so much for all of your comments and encouragements about VOLVO. My car arrived on Friday and I promptly placed the for sale sign in my 1995 Nissan.

I waited quite a bit for this car. I bought a Silver w/Taupe T5 with Geartronic, audio max, Almathea Wheels, basically all options except Nav. Bought it through broker who used a local dealer and I was very impressed by the dealer.

I love the car...I do have one ? This is the first car with 17 X7.5 I have ever owned. The ride is a bit jiggly in 50-60's. 70's-90 is awesome. Is this a balance problem or a sports performance tire.....It came with P6 PIRELLIS...Thoughts anyone? T5 owners...fill me in on anything I should know....
  • cesimscesims Posts: 12
    You might want to check the tire pressures on your car. Like you, when I first got my car, it felt very jiggly at anything over, say 50mph. All four tires were 38psi at delivery.

If you check the gas cap, you will see that Volvo recommends 38psi for a full load and 29psi for a minimal load in the car. I changed to 32 psi and the car felt as I thought it should all along with good grip and enough air in the tires that I didn't fear too much for my rims. I have found that my T5 is very sensitive to tire pressures and experimenting with 33psi in front and 31psi rear has yielded a ride with a lot of grip in the back, making hard turns a lot of fun. And very un-fwd like. Try it and see if you see the same results.
    T5obsessed, I think the Audio Max is probably the best system I have ever heard in the calibre of car. I have it too and couldn't possibly fathom upgrading it. If you have the Sport Suspension, the ride will be firm, that's for sure. The P6 Pirellis are very highly rated as far as all-seasons are concerned, but I got a credit for my Pirellis and went with Dunlop SP8000s instead. I will let you know how it feels once I get it. I WILL GET MY T5 IN ONE HOUR!

cesims, thanks for the interesting tip on the tire pressure, I will certainly take that into account.