Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Optima 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    xcmdxxcmdx Member Posts: 17
    Anyone else notice the uncanny resemblence the new 2003 Infiniti M45 has with the Optima? I think I'll go buy a couple of Infiniti emblems and put them in place of the KIA badges on my Optima!

"http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2002/new_york/03.infiniti.m45.f3-4.500.jpg"

• Options
    I notice that the Optima doesn't have any recalls or Bulletins against it (yet). Which is a good sign I think... However since it shares most of its mechanicals with the Hyundai Sonata - I wonder if it also shares its known problems.

The ALLDATA website lists a few things about the Sonata that may apply to the Optima... The A/T for instance...

<http://www.alldata.com/TSB/25/02252632.html>

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    had a recall a few months back to fix a problem with the seat belt anchor or something. Anybody know the details on that that has an Optima?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 300

vs.

Nah. It's there, but I can't really see it. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. You know it's there, you just can't find it...
  • Options
    45auto45auto Member Posts: 16
    Once again here I am sing the praises of Kia. Here is something to mull over. I have always been a loyal Ford fan. I own a low -mileage customized ford ranger stepside 98. It seems I recall a problem with the horsepower rating of the 99 Cobra. It was supposed to have 320 horsepower, but only had 305.I dont know if Ford did anything about it or not, But Kia Has a similiar problem, and the have offered Some warranty options. Good deal kia. Yeah, you know you want one.
  • Options
    But how can you not see the resemblance? The lines are the same, the stance, the front end... Actually in my opinion they almost look like those before and after pictures of Fat/Thin people. The M45 is the before when it is bloated, the after is the Optima - lean and svelt...

OK, I now - I would jump at the chance to evenly trade my Opt for an M45... But hey, it just makes it more of a terrific deal.
  • Options
    "But how can you not see the resemblance?"

I thought I said I did. I know it's there, I just can't seem to find it.......until now. The overall basic shape is the same, but skinwise, no go. The Infinityt seems to sit a little higher off of the ground than the Optima, which sits low.
  • Options
    netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Need some advice. Looked at an '02 Optima LX V6. Took this car for a test drive and whoa! Plenty of oomph from a stoplight, but the transmission was obviously either defective or needing to relearn my driving style. It sounded like the tranny was about ready to go bye bye. Adaptive transmissions may be OK for an original buyer.

The bulk of my driving is City with the occasional 200 mi trip. The 4cyl does not have that adaptive transmission and seemed to shift correctly with no evidence of malfunction.

Would like to hear from you folks who have the 4's and 6's and share your experiences.

Thanks
  • Options
    scoopguyscoopguy Member Posts: 2
    Our Optima is a 2002 LX program car w. 20,000 mi. We've had it a month. Like it a lot. Our one problem has been a malfunctioning engine sensor light. It malfunctioned just once, but dealer is replacing it as bad. Seems there are actually two sensors, and one has a "program" for replacement because it was bad in early 02 Optimas. It's been all month waiting on the sensor lite, as it is backordered. This is something Optima owners may want to ask their service department about before they have trouble. As a program replacement, dealers should be replacing this on all cars that have this problem.
  • Options
    scoopguyscoopguy Member Posts: 2
    clarifiying what I wrote previously. There are two engine sensors chips, one is a back-up. The dealer had the orginal in stock, but the replacement chip is still on backorder. When the light came on, I checked the gas filler cap, because if it is loose, it will show a problem. It was properly closed (you should hear two clicks when you tighten it) but I took it off and put it back on and the engine warning lite shut off. But when the car was serviced, the dealer service department said the two sensors did need to be replaced. Also, if you have bought a 2002 used or lease, make sure the dealer knows it is a 5 year 60,000 warranty that can be transferred. KIA had it as 5 yr, 60,000, but dealer and his service department thought it was 3 years, 36,000. That changed in July 2001 when KIA went to the Long Haul 10-10 warranty.
  • Options
    netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Thanks scoopguy for the heads up on the sensor light problem. My present car had the "Check engine light" episode when I didn't twist the cap on for several clicks. Had to stop being in a hurry when refueling. Thanks again.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Is that still on a Sonata/Optima platform. Will it be in addition to the Optima Regal already shown? Frankly I'm still not sure if that's going to be a good looking car or not. Jag. derivative without any of the Jaguar's grace. Interior also looks clumsey, unlike the present Sonata/Optima interior which is actually very attractive.
  • Options
    jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    Will be a mid-sized rear driver and will replace the home market "Enterprise". Will it appear in the USA? I don't know! Optima Regal? No such thing in the USA..updated Optima is just an Optima, to avoid legal problems with Buick.
  • Options
    Amazing that Edmunds is the first to show what the new Optima will look like, and has pricing! Even KIA's own web-site is still showing the 2002 model.

I own an '02 SE and am very happy with it. In fact I think I like the looks of the '02 better than the '03. The '03 looks like KIA mated the '02 Optima with a Hyundai XG350 and Sonata. Not that these aren't beautiful cars in their own right, but I liked it that the Optima was unique.

Can't wait to read the reviews... Then again, the press is still anti-KIA that they'll barely give it a fair rating. When will the press compare the Optima against the domestic competition (ie. Ford Taurus, Chrysler Sebring, Saturn SC2 etc). The Optima is far superior to anything Detroit is building in this segment.
  • Options
    This is on KIA's Korean website:

Is this the front of the 2003 Optima?
  • Options
    lleroilleroi Member Posts: 112
    reviews for the OPTIMA were outstanding.It was compared quite favorably with the ACCORD and CAMRY -the problem was the price was listed as around $19,000 (AS TESTED)with no mention of the equipment on the base model or discounts that were available.This presented a picture of a car that"might"be comparable to the Japanese sedans at a price that"WAS" the SAME.This perception left little reason to gamble on the KIA.
    KIA needs to loose the cute ads and get serious with their marketing.Pepsi made huge strides by mentioning Coke in their ads.KIA needs to get people thinking of their cars as the EQUAL of the competition to succeed in the mid-size market.So far the warranty advantage has worked fairly well for their compact sedans ,but this will not do the trick by itself against the Japanese in the mid-size market-esp for KIA(people tend to think of Hyundai
    in regards to the Long Haul warranty).
    I think KIA's best strategy would be to stress the OPTIMA name more-and down play the KIA name in the mid-size arena.Also a sportier suspension and manual gearbox(pref 6-speed)should be an option with the 6 cyl.A turbo would be nice ,but a simple intake mode and hi-perf exhaust might do the trick to increase hp enough to separate this model from the standard model-OPTIMA MAXIMO or OPTIMA RS.16 in or even 17 in wheels and a price tag under $20.000 and who knows what could happen?
  • Options
    In the Edmunds pictures, it doesn't look that bad. I agree with others that Kia NEEDED to keep the front end, but the rear end is VERY WELCOME. I LOVE the new interior restyle, even if it was only the center stack, it now differs from the Hyundai Sonata.

Go Kia!

OK, now would someone please tell me that Kia did the interior, or did Hyundai do it? I hope Kia did it, it blends with the rest of the lineup, slightly.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I saw the new front end two weeks ago in Car and Driver (ad).
  • Options
    I'd be interested in hearing others opinions on what is the best of the 4 offers KIA has made, regarding the extension of the warranty (because of the HP issue).

I'm leaning towards the Power Train extension, simply because it'll keep me under warranty the longest. But would extended the bumper to bumper be better? I drive ~25k miles annually, nearly all highway...

Thanks!
  • Options
    jbaldwinjbaldwin Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. I currently own a '99 Daewoo Leganza. I am shopping for a new car due only to the lack of parts/service (it's been a great car) and I'm considering the Optima. I have to admit to being "once bitten twice shy" when it comes to buying another Korean car. Given your ownership experiances.... if you could go back and do it again, would you still purchase an Optima?
  • Options
    I've put 18k on my 2002 Optima this year, and it has been a pleasure to drive. There have been a few little things that needed fixing, which were taken care of easily enough.

The Optima makes a terrific commuting vehicle, which is what I use it for. I'd buy another one again for this purpose. However if my driving changed (no longer a long commute), I'd probably look for something more fun to drive. I love small performance cars, like the new Mini Cooper, and the BMW Z4. But for sitting in a comfortable seat for a good chunk of the day, it is hard to look passed the Optima.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Optima with Regal-design changes incorporated will still be called Optima in America? Just checking-we discussed that about 6 months ago in here but I just wanted to bring it up again as it's intro in America nears. New rear-end and front-end look to it for 2003.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    2003 Optima has been here nearly a month. I've sold several already. Have taken in Kia and Honda product as trades.
  • Options
    I was at the Int'l Auto Show in Boston today and checked out the '03 Optima. Well maybe I am biased because I own an '02 - but I didn't think the '03 was as nice... I felt the interior changes made it look a little cheaper, and not as highend. The exterior changes were nice, though I still prefer the '02 grille. My own preference...

Oh yeh, the Sortento seemed to be interesting a lot of people. It should do well...
  • Options
    tuckerdog1tuckerdog1 Member Posts: 37
    Hello All,
    I'm not a Kia owner, but wanted to pass along some info I recently read in Auto World ( sorry if it's been covered earlier). I no longer have the magazine, so some of the details may be incorrect ( think it was the Oct 02 issue ). Anyway I guess Hyundai makes the engine for at least one of the Optima models. It seems they overstated the engine horsepower. To make ammends, they are offering one version of an extended warranty for pre 99 models, and a choice of three different warranty extensions for 99 and newer models. Sorry I have given the magazine away & no longer have the exact details. but you may be able to get it from your dealer.
  • Options
    tuckerdog1tuckerdog1 Member Posts: 37
    Okay, I recovered the magazine. Sorry, but the only KIA covered is the 2001 Sedan with engine supplied by Hyundai ( don't know which engine that would be ). All the others being covered by this offer are Hyundais. So here is what the choices are:

1. Up to 10 years of roadside assistance.

2. A sixth year and 12,000 miles of coverage added to the new vehicle warranty.

3. Two more years and 20,000 miles added to the current 10 year/100,000 powertrain warranty.
  • Options
    robsmithrobsmith Member Posts: 71
    I just purchased a used 2002 Optima LX-6. Had just under $14K miles and ABS brakes. Paid $11,300 for it.

So far it's been great. Nice smooth engine and for now I like playing with the manual shift transmission.

I would like to add a keyless entry system and probably alarm with it as well.

Just curious if anyone else has added an aftermarket keyless entry/alarm that they like?

Thanks
  • Options
    Well, I still like my Optima but I am not as enthusiastic about it as I was a year ago. For the money, it is still a good value. However I have found the flaw with the KIA. It ages fast... Little squeeks and rattles are starting to show up. Air noise and road noise are more noticable than before. I've had continued trouble with pulsating brakes. The rotors were turned, and just recently replaced. During the recent cold snap in NE some quirky things showed up. The keyless entry system went a little berzerk, when the temp was below zero. The suspension has loosened up quickly, and had to be retorqued. The moonroof also became loose and needed to be tightened back up. The wiring harness to the stereo speakers had to be replaced recently too. The squeeks and rattles are frustrating because mechanics can never seem to hear them... At 25K my Optima feels older than my 2000 Honda Odyssey with 40k on it. True it hasn't cost me anything (technically) in repairs. Essentially whenever I have the oil changed, I give the dealer a list of things to work on while he has the car. The cost to me is the burden of dropping the car off and finding a ride to and from work.

Would I buy the car again? Hmmm... No, I can't honestly say that I would. I'd spend more money and buy a more proven name. Sorry KIA, you just need to keep working on it - and use better parts.
  • Options
    Blame Hyundai. The Optima is a Hyundai Sonata in a different skin. They share most mechanical, and interior parts, with the exception of the new '03 model. It has a new interior (Which looks much better.), and new front and rear facias.

Both companies are trying their hardest to improve, and with the help of Daimler Chrysler, I would expect them to improve very quickly.
  • Options
    ray_h71ray_h71 Member Posts: 212
    The Motor in question is the Hyudai-built "Delta" 2.7 liter V6. When introduced as a replacement for the related 2.5 liter motor at the start of the 2002 model year, the new motor was listed as having 181 Hp. Midway thorugh the 2002 model year, Hyundai revised the power rating down to 170 Hp. and offered an extended warranty to assuage the rancor of affected owners. Note: there was NO change in the motors at all - same displacement, same camshaft, fuel delivery system, same engine management setup; it was merely a published power spec. change. A very vocal minority of Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe owners are still so livid they can't see straight, though, with threats to bring a class-action against Hyundai for false advertising. I have a feeling that it was nothing more than an ad copywriter's mixup. Was it preventable? Yes. Should it have been caught before going to press? Yes. Is it the end of the world? Not even close. (These ranters' motors are just as powerful as they were when the buyers signed on the dotted line.) It seems the wag who coined that some people would bellyache even if they were gonna be hung with a brand new rope was probably closer to the truth than he imagined...

On an unrelated note, I discovered today that the $5.40/qt. SP-III spec. automatic transmission fluid at Hyundai dealers (that I need for my 2003 Sonata) has a Kia counterpart for $3.95/qt. Viva Kia!
  • Options
    stockeystockey Member Posts: 40
    I would like them better to improve from the Daimler part not the Chrysler part,Chrysler quality sucks.
  • Options
    infinite_wayinfinite_way Member Posts: 3
    I first read this problem for the new sorento, but I have had the same problem on my 2001 kia optima LX manual transmission for the last two months. Has anyone experienced a tap noise from their engine? I only really hear this sound when my vehicle has sat over night on a cold day and the next morning when i attempt to start it i hear this sound. If I stop somewhere and then re-start my vehicle the sound is not present....Could someone please give me some assistance?
  • Options
    sedanman2sedanman2 Member Posts: 26
    after a dreadful winter in nyc i finally washed my optima 2001 black se v6 leather abs. people still look up and down at it , and i still love this car. no problems to report 12500 miles. i love the sorento but would assume i would be killed in the trade. why should i give up my leather loaded black beauty for peanuts, and pay hard for a sorento. i will wait and see how the resales go on sorento before i buy. thanks, people keep posting!!!!
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    What you are hearing is the tapping of the valve lifters. It is nothing to be concerned about if it only occurs on first start-up on a cold day. Hydraulic lifters tend to tap some on cold mornings because it takes longer for oil pressure to build up and take away the slack in the valves. This tapping does not hurt the engine and is not unusual.
  • Options
    infinite_wayinfinite_way Member Posts: 3
    Thanks very much Ingtongue18 I was so worried. When this vehicle first came out I read everything that was available , because I knew I would be taken a great risk in its purchase. You hit the nail right on its head with your explanation. The tapping noise is only present after my vehicle has stayed stationary over a very cold night. Today all is well with 22950 miles on my vehicle and I regularly push my rpm's up to 5. The only serious issue are those honkook tires. They are the worst in raining and/or snowy conditions. My vehicle slides alllll over the place and those darn squealing front brakes. I had them replace under warranty of course and was reassured these replacement have solve the problem. Other than that all is well. If anyone has any neat accessories or kits that have put on their 2001 Kia Optima LX manual transmission, please let me know. I would like to add fog lights, but do not know the best course of action. I have been given many different answers due to my vehicle was not originally out fitted with this item. ( ex. in addition to purchasing the lights you may need wiring harness etc). I would appreciate any pics and assistance on these matters.
  • Options
    diegogdiegog Member Posts: 1
    Interested in the Optima.
    I took a test drive last weekend. The built quality felt better than the price suggested. The car rode nice although not a lot of feedback from the brake pedal. Interior room was comparable to other cars except perhaps the head room compared to the high ceiling of the Accord.
    Overall I got a great impression.

Years ago I was a fleet mgr for a rental car company and had a lot of Hunday Accents. we all joked around when we got them, but they ended up being the most reliable car on the fleet. And we all know people are not the most careful when driving a rental car.

That is the reason I am now looking at Kia (don't like the styling of the Sonata).

I would appreciate any comments, or experiences you might have.

Thanks,

Diego
  • Options
    malibu_jackmalibu_jack Member Posts: 75
    hi there... can anyone think of reasons not to buy this car? My wife and I are currently leasing a 2001 Nisan Sentra. We still have warranty left on the car (currently sitting at 50K), however when we try to address items which should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, quite often we are charged $24 for each item that the dealer claims is NOT a warranty item (and I am not talking about wear and tear items either). they won't even provide us with an estimate first!!!

What I would like to know is, how does KIA treat their customers in terms of after sales service? Will I have to fear a bill every time I take the car in for to inspect a problem? I have looked at the literature on the Kia Magentis (Canadian name for the Optima) and it looks quite nice. Especially from the price. Is it too good to be true?
  • Options
    obviously i would recommend buying a new optima! saw new ones on the lot in new jersey. i own a 2001 se v6 leather abs and the car is great. people still look at it, guess they think its some kind of sonata leganza mercedes230 crossbreed!!economically it is definitly a smart choice. check out the prices on similarly equipped accords camrys and altimas (that everyone on the block has)and your jaw will drop!kia even has a $2000 discount cash back $3000 for previous kia owners! its a no brainer! saw a v6 optima lxv6 with alloys cd and spoiler going for 18g- so if you take the cash discount you could pick up one for about 16500 awesome diomond silver! well good luck
  • Options
    gideon26gideon26 Member Posts: 1
    The local dealer has some leftover stock from last year. One 2002 V6 Optima SE is listed at around $14k (including current rebate)... is this a good deal? Anyone else have particular words or praise/warning about this car?
  • Options
    grs2grs2 Member Posts: 2
    Can any Canadian owners explain how DRLs are implemented on the 2003 Optima? Are they a provided by a hard-wired switch or are they activated by program changes to the cars' computer?
  • Options
    nnboxnnbox Member Posts: 1
    This board seems kind of abandoned right now, but I'll ask my questions anyway. I don't own a Kia Optima, but am interested in doing so to replace an old reliable Honda. First of all, is it acceptable to depend on the Optima to be able to run for 40,000-50,000 highway miles per year, for possibly up to four years? Secondly, if so, would it be better to go with the fuel efficient V4 or the more powerful V6 (keeping in mind this car would have to run for a long time, but also keeping in mind I need at least above average gas mileage with all the travelling I do)?

Thoughts/Opinions/Experiences?
  • Options
    i simply went to my dealer and picked up my sport visors for my optima. easy installation, no tools, looks incredibly cool. thinking about adding a spoiler to my already loaded optima. guys at work are talking about getting optimas and sorrentos, i noticed a loaded optima on ebay!i would recommend this car to anyone. the sonata is cool- but they are everywhere- like altimas, that kinda kills them.buy a kia , be different- be cool!!!
  • Options
    grs2grs2 Member Posts: 2
    Finally figured out how to have pseudo-automatic daylight running lights on the 2003 Optima. Just turn the lights on and leave them on. When the ignition is turned off and the door is opened, the battery saver function turns the lights off immediately. When the car is started again, the lights come on immediately.
  • Options
    ofrakinofrakin Member Posts: 12
    Never heard of a V4, except on motorbikes.haha BUT,we were in the same situation. That is until I bought my wife a GSX Spectra. I bought it a week before xmas '02, for $11998-tax,tags and delivery incl.Then I see here that robsmith got a great deal.
    She drives 500 miles a week in rushhour traffic between Balt. and DC. It always gets 33mpg w/1800cc4cyl. I've got a v6 Caravan thats dying w/140K(16mpg). A GST Spyder w/91k(27mpg.w/hi-test only). A Volvo740 w/280k (15mpg) and runs better than the van. A GSX w/30k and a 5spd.

With $5k down and $125 a month, a Mazda transmission (or clone) and a Hyundai Alpha motor,I feel I got a very good deal.
    I personally believe that a Korean company now, as a Japanese company in the '70s, can't master an automatic transmission, or the complexities of a V6. The firing order of a 4cyl. has been the same since TR's, MG's and AH's of the 50's.

While we'll have 100k in 2 yrs., therefore the choice and warranty, I believe a Corolla at 42mpg will last longer. 4whatitsworth
  • Options
    bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    She says that she has gotten a quote of $16K and that there is a $2K rebate. When I look on Edmunds TMV, it indicates that they are going for more like $18K right now. I am thinking that the $16K is after the rebate and she is confused about that. Imagine a dealer letting her be confused about that. Who would have thought? What do you think? What are these things going for right now?
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I would have to say the price she was quoted includes the 2k rebate. If it also includes tax and tag, than she has a very good deal.
  • Options
    malibu_jackmalibu_jack Member Posts: 75
    Wow...Its pretty dead around here...

Does anyone know of what changes will be made to the 2004 Magentis / Optima?
  • Options
    tahugorengtahugoreng Member Posts: 10
    Guys i am planning to buy a used one.

Any regrets so far?

Which one would you choose:
    - Honda Accord EX 1999 or Kia Optima 2002?

Thanks!
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I think Optimas depreciate more rapidly than Sonatas and may be the better buy used. Like the 02's better than the '03's (C&D recalled Hannibal Lechter styling).

I'm sure that the Accord is objectively the better car, but I'm worried by Honda's getting more and more conservative with each new generation. Compare the 04's with the late eighties hidden head-light third generation car. The new car looks like its mother may have been raped by a Buick Roadmaster--where else would it get that ugly rear end?