Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Optima 2006 and earlier

Comments

• bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    http://bbs1.adwars.com/read.php?table=mildbreeze&no=23

Kia Optima has been best selling car in its segment since it was launched last year July in Korea.

http://myhome.naver.com/mildbreeze/menu2.html

• giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    Who did these tests? Are there any numerical results indicating how well it did? And in comparison to other cars? Is there a web site where we can get all the results for this testing agency? This didn't look like the US, European, Japanese, or Australian new car assessment programs. Is it Korean NCAP? Hyundai internal test?
  • madman154madman154 Member Posts: 3
    This car 2002 in my opinion looks better than the optima and probably has more room because this Leganza boasts a bigger interior than the roomy Avalon. Anyone do a price comparision on the two? I'm pretty sure a fully equipped 2002 Leganza is less than 20k. You can see a pic of it on the LA AUTO SHOW section of Edmunds.
    It was done by one branch of national transportation bureau of Korean government. It's an official K-NCAP test.

However, it was not a sophisticate test like U.S's real NCAP test but a simple test.

K-NCAP test includes safety of structure/cage, dummy restraints/kinemaics and some injury measures. For example, in the part of 'injury measures' we don't have regulaion about putting sensor on legs and foots. compared to U.S'S NCAP, it should be more improved.

Also, test cars only have driver's side airbag. They don't have passenger's side airbag. So, the results are unreliable to check driver and passenger's injury. Experts who know the safety of automobile only accept its result of structure and cage damage. Personally, I also think that only cage/structure damage results are valid in this test.

Anyway, Kia Opt's result is a little bit better than 2000 Hyundai Sonata's in structure/cage damage.

If new traffic law is passed in congress, government will do test by new standard which is as same as U.S's NCAP test in every fields.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    They had a 2002 Leganza at the Detroit Auto Show. As far as styling it is different than the Optima. As well all know by now, it is the Magnus in Korea. My original impression was that it was a V6..wrong, it is an inline 6. This should make it somewhat smoother than a V6 since it has inherent balance without the use of multiple countershafts and counterweights. After all the different configurations 3,4,5,8,10 and 12 cylinder engines, it seems like everyone, including good old GM is moving back toward the old dependable inline '6' configurations.
    Do you remember how big the I-6 was? 2.5L? 3.0L? 3.5L? Glad to see more manufacturers going back to the great I-6. Inherently the smoothest engine. Unfortunately, due to configuration, space and now crash test considerations, too many manufacturers are moving to V-6s. Mercedes did in their C- & E-class. Press reporting that BMW is working on V-6s, mainly for crash safety purposes.

Is the car you saw FWD or RWD?
    The person manning the Daewoo Display was so lacking in information that all of your questions are ones I have no answer for. I have a friend who is a Daewoo/Kia/Buick/Cadillac/Isuzu dealer and will check with him for any possible info on displacement, fwd/rwd etc. It was very strange that the Daewoo display was provided by a Ford dealer from the Flint, MI area. Detroit has 3 or 4 dealers in the Metro area, so why didn't they do the display?
    Yep..........

It has 2.5L Inline-6 which is desingned by Porsche.

Will it have performance of Porsche?
    I don't know yet.
    But it put out 180HP.

I think it will be a definitely attractive model for the Mid-sedan hunters if they consider the bang for the buck!
    Thanks for the information on the I-6 Daewoo engine. Have been following the progress of the bankruptcy very closely as am holding off purchasing my new Korean car till Daewoo resolves its' problems. IMHO it is probably the best buy from a quality/price standpoint of either Kia or Hyundai. Reading AutomotiveNews.com and Auto.com everyday keeps me well informed as to the latest status. Worrisome that sales are beginning to fall for Daewoo. The financials probably have scared off buyers temporarily, I hope. Thanks again for the information.
  • hbrow00hbrow00 Member Posts: 31
    From a story in Autoweek about the Chicago auto show:

A sporting variation of Kia's recently introduced four-door Optima sedan, the SE-L concept gets a 2.7-liter, dohc 181-hp V6, a modified version of the 2.5-liter 170-horsepower engine in production Optimas. (The base Optima offers a 2.4-liter 149-horsepower four-cylinder.) The larger-displacement V6 is destined for production in 2002-model-year Optimas. Sportier transmission shift points, suspension and tires also appear on SE-L.

Source: http://www.competitionpress.com/specials/2001_chicago/chicagowrap.mv

(link should be on 1 line.)

If they build it, which they most certainly should, it will fix one of the big weaknesses of the platform: no sport sedan model. Now if they would just ensure the 2.7L V-6 can be ordered with a 5-speed manual!
    Bloomberg News reporting that "Kia raised US starting prices on four of its models by as much as 4.6 percent this month after its sales in [USA] rose 19 percent last year."
  • serpentkiserpentki Member Posts: 20
    I recently purchased an Optima base LX I-4 5-spd. I am sincerely happy with my purchase. This is my second KIA.

This car has been a head-turner. Expect to get comments and questions everyday from onlookers. The styling truly is beautiful. I understand now why KIA includes a first-aid kit with your Optima, people fall over when you tell them what you paid for the car.

My car is smooth running, quiet, and very comfortable. Weekly I drive 150 miles each way from California's High Desert to the coast and back. Not an exceptionally long trip, it is just long enough to appreciate some comfort, and the seats have plenty of adjustment.

At home I spend a lot of time looking out the window admiring my car. They really are gorgeous.

So far I have no complaints. Everything works as it should, there are no mysterious noises, and no indicators that something may go amiss. I feel it really is well built and much thoughtful planning has gone into these vehicles.

I will keep this board apprised of any idiosyncracies that may pop up over time.

KIA is still building a name for themselves and keeping purchase costs down. This may change as the name becomes better recognized. They are well-built cars and have better name recognition in other parts of the globe. I expect resale values will go up as KIA demonstrates a reliable track-record in the US. For now, get them while they're hot.
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    I cannot find a single one in local dealerships in Wash., D.C. area. I have read of sales in Calif., etc. but not here on the East. Does anyone know?
  • novotny_jacknovotny_jack Member Posts: 12
    astrol
    There are a few optima LX at Criswell KIA in Annapolis, MD. Was there sunday...all four bangers as I recall. I'm looking to try an Se/6 with the shiftronic
    regards
    Jack
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    that has a nice review on the Optima. Apparently this is quite a car for the money, and leaves behind some of the old stereotypes of korean cars. Further Japan has left quite an opening in the market for 'value' cars, and the Optima is apparently quite promising as competition for the Japanese on design features.

Hyundai is getting serious.

I will curious to see how you like your cars after 6 months or a year; please keep us posted.
    Hyndai has certainly gotten the design part figured out. If the quality is there to go with it, the Optima is going to be quite a winner.
    Thanks for the info! I would like to check out the V-6 as well. My wife has a '00 Sonata GLS fully optioned...fabulous car. The build platform is well designed and the drivetrain is very smooth and refined. The Optima should do well with this running gear. I would get another for myself but she got the color I wanted...seems silly to have two.

It turns out there is a dealer very close to me at another Criswell in Gaithersburg. He used to sell KIA out of the Chevy, Lotus, etc. site but appears to have moved KIA to a separate site here in G'burg...at least that's what it says in the directory. I'll give them a look-see tomorrow.
    Didn't get to Criswell but was in the area of Ellicott City off Rte 40 at Antwerpen Kia, Hyundai, etc. Poured buckets, today, as you know so I didn't do much more than grab some literature
    and a sales card...guys' name is Richartd Hartzell. He said they have two V-6's, a White and a Black, two more that are being driven by the staff but are available with low miles, and lots of I4s. I didn't get to see if any was an SE. You might want to give a call at 410 747-3333.
    greetings
    I think I screwed this up the first time and it didnt post....Thanks for the info. glad to see I was not the only fool out in the rain checking cars. unable to pass hyundai, kia or acura without inventory check and putting hands on the metal. Wife thinks I have a serious problem. Kia/Hyundai have released cvt sonata/optima in Korea. Neat thing is cvt trans with additional 6 speed shiftronic thrown in. Hope it gets here. Previous message either lost or in some other group by mistake...if my employer only knew what Im really doing at my computer
    regards
    Jack
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Same here. The other day I was writing up one of these Edmunds.com posts and my wife walked up. She stared at me typing and got the cutest quizzical look on her face. "I don't get it. What is the big deal with cars?". I think I'm getting worse, too. Printing out Kia and Hyundai reviews on the Optima and also Hyundai's new Santa Fe. I bring them in to work and blab on! Some interest has truly been shown about the Santa Fe and fuel cell powerplants. My workmate and I agreed that for the environment this idea is vantastic! It's going to be really interesting to see how it all works out and Hyundai's initial price for it. Also bugs worked out in time, etc....etc. Back to the Optima. Base price with the I4 DOHC 149hp 2.4L with the 5-speed also has all the options I would want like power steering, power locks, windows, AM/FM cassette w/6 speaker surround sound and door-mounted (separate) tweeters. I can't think of anything else I'd need Kia to throw in for that price. Looking for Optima feedback from those who've already bought. The Sephia's running like a champ so I'm in no rush. Really. ;)) :D:))

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• harryalb2harryalb2 Member Posts: 6
    I have had an Optima LX V-6 for two months now and love it. I've had Ford, Chevy, Toyota and many other cars and all have been pretty much the same in quality. Some good and some bad (the Toyota and Chevy had the most time in the shop). So this time I just wanted something different than the same old thing on the road.

After two months and 2000 miles, it's running perfect. I've noticed nobody really knows what kind of car it is, they have to ask. They give me strange looks when I tell them it's a Kia.

As far as all the comparison to Honda and others, who cares. All cars fall apart eventually, they all end up worth very little compared to what you payed, so just get what you like.
    Today, I popped into my friends' Kia dealership for a test drive in an Optima. The one I took out was an LX 4 with automatic. I couldn't believe how smooth the car rode over our Midwestern potholed roads. Being very short, the visibility to the rear is a little bothersome, but since I have gotten used to using mirrors to drive everything for the last umpteen years so it really wasn't a deterrent to owning one. However, the Sephia really fits me better. Am waiting for the rumored Sephia II. Slightly more modern styling and a supposedly larger engine...if one can believe what they're told. Supposed to be in May but who knows?
    AutoWorld just reviewed the Optima SE V6 and gave it an excellent review. This mag comes out every two weeks and usually has a Kia/Hyundai/Daewoo review of preview of one of the Korean cars. Hope you find it interesting.
    I posted this initially to the 'Optima vs Accord' board mistakenly. I duplicate here for benefit of this discussion:

Almost a month and about 1850 miles on my Optima LX I-4 5-spd now and I love it. I still have a lot of people asking me about the car, ("What kind is it? Really!? I'm going to check out the dealer.")

Very quiet on the road, it has good sound-dampening, smooth ride, and great handling. I can't complain about performance. The power-curve is on the upper end of the tach, just where I need it for passing on the mountainous California high-desert highways. It is common to drop to third gear when overtaking a vehicle moving under 60. For max acceleration getting onto the freeway I might take 2nd gear up to 5 grand or so, about 50 mph, before grabbing third on the on-ramp. This car loves the revs.

I visited the KIA dealership service dept close to my home (not where I bought the car, BTW). My power mirrors were not adjusting, and rubber around one corner of the driver's side window was poorly cut and lets a bit of noise through, something I didn't notice the first week or so.

For the mirror problem they found I had blown a fuse with a light I plugged into my cigarette lighter. They replaced the fuse and suggested I use only the auxiliary power outlet down on the console for my light. A new rubber piece has been ordered which warranty will take car of.

The KIA service guys also gave it a close inspection and found a minor power steering fluid leak that they will replace the PS pump when they replace the rubber. We agreed in order to expedite time to wait for this repair as the leak was minor and no fluid needed to top it off.

The service dept also told me they are replacing the cam cover and/or something related (not sure exactly), and asked if KIA had notified me of the campaign (not yet as I've had the car less than a month). They suggested they would perform that mod too when I brought the car back for the other service.

I left there with a confident feeling the service department was interested in my satisfaction and performing quality work. Would this much work be considered excessive for new-car adjustment?

Serpent Ki
    Did you get your AutoWorld off the stand or have it delivered? What is the issue date, if you please?

Lately, the mag has dried up in my area newsstands. The only thing I am able to find is the Spring Used Car review. This kind of stuff drives me crazy. I mean, you shouldn't have to subscribe to everything you might want to read.
    Astrol, lent my copy to a friend. Will call and ask him about the dating. Back at you as soon as possible. Am going out of town today.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    there is a dealer for Kia/Isuzu in Tyson's Corner VA on Rt 7, just FYI.
    astrol
    try a safeway if you have one in the area. Over here in Crofton its the only place Ive seen them
    novotny_jack
    Thanks. I already located the AutoWorld bins at my Safeway but only the Used Car Special Issue. They don't even put it with the other mags. Just in the checkout lines. It used to be I could walk into any 7-11 and get slapped in the face with it at checkout. Giant, you name it, it was everywhere. Now it's hard to find. I just don't get it.
    I found it. Apr. 10 issue. Thanks everybody for the help.
    I just wanted to comment on how well-behaved this particular Kia Optima forum is. Really, go back 20 posts and you'll see what I mean. People who've bought Optima are generally pleased with them. Very pleased. That's what I want to see, I'm considering one after my Sephia. If you put the Optima up against Honda and another car in a forum you get more chaos. Humm? Anybody else enjoy the new Kia commercial as much as I did? A bunch of dressed up people standing next to an Optima at some big event. One of the guys looks at another and says "Isn't that your car, Dave(or whatever his name is)?" The guy pauses just a slight second then slowly gets a smile and says "Yes, that is my car" in a proud way reminiscent of the Optima owners in this forum. Supposed to give you the impression that it's a much more expensive car. I like the way they styled it regardless of it's perceived value. Agree, eh?

• kia99kia99 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a '99 Kia Sephia that I purchased new and have been very satisfied with it's performance and longevity. I am a high mileage driver and look for the best value plus economy. I am now thinking of moving up to the Optima, but would appreciate some honest feedback from current owners. 0-60 mph stats are not of importance to me ... reliability and economy is.
  • duly89duly89 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I'm considering the Optima SE-V6. I'm open to all suggestions/comments/feedback from current owners! Please e-mail me at dulyimpressed@hotmail.com
    This is really weird. I posted a response to you last night. Serpentki posted one as well. Come back tonight and neither post is here. Mondo Bizarro.

Let's try this again. You ask for news on reliability and economy from current owners but the Optima has only been sold here for a short time. Both Serpentki and I suggested you try the Sonata Topic for info on the reliability question in so far as the Optima is built on the Sonata platform using shared drivetrain components. Perhaps this prompted a 'not on topic' deletion from the host meisters. Who knows? I didn't get anything in the e-mail.

My '00 GLS V-6 with auto gets 25 mpg in mixed suburban. Pure highway yields 30 mpg or more depending upon load. The car has nearly 16K since last July purchase. My wife is the primary user and she has never felt more safe and confident behind the wheel.

Good Luck.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, Town Hall had a severe problem last night, and posts made after sometime yesterday morning disappeared in the process of getting TH up and running again. The technical folks have been working all night - and are still working - trying to get them back.

I understand some have already been restored, and more may be coming, but there are no promises at this point.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this situation and trust that every effort is being made to rectify the problem. Thank you for your patience.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    I bought my '99 Sephia new and also am happy with it's lasting power and performance. I seem to be in your boat kia99. I would agree with astrol and value his review on the Optima as far as it sharing platforms with the Sonata and sharing drivetrain components. The input on the Sonata has been fairly impressive as far as I know. Hyundai and Kia are making big strides. I'm probably going to keep my Sephia a while longer and run up it's miles. I have 60,000 now and just had it's timing belt changed. Don't forget the timing belt replacement at 60,000 miles by the way! Hope my input helps kia99 in your Optima quest!

Hello Kia Posters: Am just wondering what happened to all the Kia bashers that used to show up on these forums. The quality must have improved considerably. Drove an Optima 4Cyl with Automatic and it was very similar to an Accord only it felt heavier and more substantial in every respect. Am waiting for the new Sephia II which as been moderately restyled. Supposedly due in May-June sometime according to my friend who is a local Kia/Daewoo dealer.
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    My rental car for two weeks in Portland OR. was a Kia Optima. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it drove and handled. My main car at home is a Nissan Altima and the Optima compared favorably. I went on two 150+ mile driving trips and the only complaint I had is a rather coarse sounding engine. I kept some accurate numbers and got around 27-28 mpg in mixed city and highway driving.
    Was your Optima rental an I-4 or V-6? Manual or automatic? I'm assuming it is an I-4 automatic, but might be V-6 auto.

The last 3 tanks in my '00 Sonata GLS V-6 w/5-speed manual averaged 28.80 mpg over 900 miles. Mostly rural 2-lane county or interstate roads. I live in a smallish rural city, with only 3 stoplights!
  • t_dugant_dugan Member Posts: 1
    I bought my KIA Optima in February and have received many compliments. I have the 4cyl. SE model which includes all of the following - Alloy wheels, Michelin tires, leather seats, sunroof, chrome package. While I am pleased with the ride, comfort and gas mileage then it's really the little things that people fail to mention
    - automatic headlight shutoff when you turn off the car (should you forget)
    - chrome kick plates in the thresholds of all 4 doors
    - overhead handgrips for all 4 passengers
    - rear armrest w/storage, cupholders
    - lumbar support for the driver seat (in addition to 8-way power adjustment)
    - interior trunk release (for those times you are kidnapped)
    - First Aid Kit

Too many pros to mention so I will give you the "cons"
    - It's new so there is no "reference" for value or measure of appreciation as it gets older. In purchasing this car you are a pioneer.
    - My model was recalled for a timing belt cover (the existing cover was not narrow enough to hold the timing belt on adaquately). My wife was in and out of the Service Dept. in half an hour.
    - Intermittent squeaky front breaks (most notably the right one)I have 2,800 miles and this just started.
    - "Thumping" noise when the car is lowered or driven onto an elevated pavement while turning (best I can explain it)Sometimes I get the noise while just turning.
    - Transference of the Warranty clearly states that the second owner is not entitled to the same coverage as the first. Be sure to read the warranty - a copy of this is available on the web at Kia.com

I have a free 3,000 mile oil change - they will certainly check out my maladies at that time.

I envisioned a Honda or Toyota or Nissan when I started shopping - I checked KIA because of their Used Car lot and wound up with the Optima. I am not sorry.
    I'm just curious what the service dept.might have found with your small list of maladies on your Optima.

• fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    I have a 2000 Leganza CDX(wifes car)and was planning on getting a 2002 Leganza for myself.I wanted to see if DAEWOO would offer a 6cyl.Two things have made me consider a 2001 OPTIMA instead.First its unclear whether 2002 Leganza will be offered in the US.Secondly,I am quite satisfied with the performance of the 2.2 liter 4 cyl in my wifes Leganza.
    I have seen ads for a 2001 OPTIMA with cd,air,auto,sunroof etc for under $16,000.I assume this is the 4cyl model without leather seats.My question is this-does the 4cyl (Hyundai engine?)perform decent with the auto trans?I am very pleased with the quality of the Leganza ,do you feel the Optima overall quality is as good ie-fit,finish etc?
    Have a friend who is a Kia/Daewoo/Isuzu dealer so have driven the 4cyl automatic. Feels like a more substantial 4cyl Accord. Acceleration is adequate, ride and silence is notable. Fit and finish are very good as are thoughtful little extras. Daewoo Leganza (aka 2002 Magnus) will feature a 6cyl inline engine. However, Daewoo's future is still quite uncertain at this writing. Rumors persist that GM/Fiat will purchase. Nothing official has been published to confirm that fact. All Daewoo's feature GM/Australia Holden engine/transmission combo at present. This seems logical to continue if GM/Fiat purchase the company. Concluding..the Optima has been selling very well, however in some areas availability is spotty. My friend can't get V6 models as fast as he could sell them. He had 9 at the beginning of April, now has 2. He is not ordering many Daewoo's since he has been selling only 3 per month for quite a long time. This is sad. The Daewoo product, in my opinion is quite good and was on my short list until the unfortunate bankruptcy became a serious consideration as I'm sure it has definitely become a caution flag for potential buyers.
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    April sales of the Optima are 1795. ytd 6833/90 days inventory
    April sales of the Leganza 2366. ytd 8564/100 days inventory
    According to autonews.com
    Comparison:
    Mitsu Galant 8506 32,725/48 days inventory
    Chevy Malibu (yuck) 15581 53,490/57 days inventory
    Kia Rio (I like em) 4728 16,962/90 days" "
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    See video, photos and highlights of the Optima SE-L concept car.

Here is a quote from the short write-up: "This is a good looking, feature-laden, relatively inexpensive, competent sports sedan that is a viable and attractive alternative to similarly equipped and priced sedans (for example, the Mercury Sable, Buick Regal, Chrysler Concorde). It should be built."

Follow the link in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page and let us know what you think.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Just got back from the photos, video and highlights from the Optima SE-L concept car presentation at Chicago's Auto Show. Sounds like Kia has the right idea to satisfy those who are after a sportier, gutsier motor and performance from their Optima. The sportiness of this Optima SE-L shines nicely in new Salsa red. Wood steering wheel? Too many options to list and detail. I'm kind of partial to the Pearl White Optima in a normal model with standard options. They really pack a lot into the entry model for $15,299 but it's not going to hold more serious power enthusiasts. Thanks for the link and continued good hosting Edmunds.com! Mucho appreciated as I slowly prepare to purchase my next vehicle.

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    How much do you plan to try to sell the Optima for? If I were you, I would keep the Optima and sell the van. At least it's still under warranty, and the van probably isn't.
  • fangio2fangio2 Member Posts: 214
    something to do with the side airbags,I think.Have the dealers taken care of this?
    I own an Optima but have not yet been informed of a recall. I'll let you know when I hear, and how long it takes for remedy. -SK