Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Diamante

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Mitsubishi
Diamante II
topic. Those of you joining us from
that topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• boscolauboscolau Member Posts: 13
    I managed to get white paint splattered on my black Diamante. It came from the road, but whether it was from something that dropped off a painter's truck or from the highway department painting lines I don't know. All four tires and the lower body panels are splattered.

We are under severe drought restrictions in the Atlanta area for residential water use, so I can't wash it in my driveway during daylight hours.

I've taken it through the local carwash, and it didn't come off.

What's the best way to get the paint off without hurting the finish? Shall I take it to a detail shop and let them handle it?

Any thoughts on this would be great.
  • toomanychoicestoomanychoices Member Posts: 18
    Strange bug in the system. I used a link that boscolau had put in another Diamante topic to get to this topic, and when I posted, the post came up as being from boscolau...
    diamante is a good car!
  • ccancioccancio Member Posts: 91
    Hello,

I have the Black D as well. It's probably the Black Burma Pearl.

If you have a good close look its actually dark speckled green mettalic paint in bright light, nice effect.

Unfortunately being a metalic paint you have to be very careful as it scratches very easily. You have to be careful on what car polish you use to remove the spots, you might remove the clear top coat. It's back breaking work if you have a whole lot of paint splatter to remove.

I would suggest taking it to a auto detailing shop and let them fix it up. It might cost $120+ depending on the amount of work they have to do, but it'll be cheaper than if you make it worse.

I'm having mine done this weekend to remove the scratches from using old rough rags to wax the car. Black is very susceptive to scratching I would be very careful on your approach

-C-
    Thanks for clarifying your identity. I really appreciate. Edmunds, please fix the bug. =)
  • toomanychoicestoomanychoices Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the advice, ccancio--yes my car is the Black Burma Pearl, so I guess I'll getting it detailed.
    ...whewee just got back from the reading the infamous "Diamante a Car to Avoid" group, what a raving lunatic!

Anyway, just ordered the Pioneer CDXP1250 12 disk CD changer via the internet for $205 incl tax and shipping from www.millionbuy.com .

I will keep you posted on how I go in installing the sucker.

In the meantime for any light entertaining relief or if you're bored go the the discussion group "...Bohlen a Guy to Avoid!" err I mean "Diamante a Car to Avoid!"

-C-
  • bohlenbohlen Member Posts: 21
    It seems that this discussion group is slowly dying...I guess the "raving lunatic" can still stir a good debate!

I hope you are enjoying your Huynd..err Diamantes.
    Hey, ccancio, compared to kangaroos you used to ride in NZ, Diamante is a Rolls-Royce (a joke, so please don't get offended).
    Our topic "Diamante - A Car to Avoid!" served its purpose well: hopefully it swayed a lot of people from a piece of junk called Mitsu Diamante.

Let's switch to this lovely topic and see if we
    can make it more energetic.
  • maury2maury2 Member Posts: 12
    All you have to do is check out the MOST CURRENT issue of MotorTrend; page back to the compilation of recent road tests which is in the back and there you'll find the 0-60 time for the TL as 6.7 seconds. The full road test of this car appeared in either 7/00 or 8/00. This is another example of your failure to acknowledge the fact that the Diamante is an inferior product. I don't buy cars based only on their acceleration capabilities but since you brought it up; it is my duty to correct you. The TL is clearly quicker than the dowdy Diamante. ;)

Hi Bohlen, I was going to respond to you in the other topic but they closed it, thanks alot twoof1.
    >Hey, ccancio, compared to kangaroos you used to
    >ride in NZ, Diamante is a Rolls-Royce (a joke, so
    >please don't get offended).

..Hehehe, unfortunately for you, there are "NO" kangaroos in New Zealand.

Your ignorance is beyond belief, but frankly after all the garbage you spew out lately .. I'm not surprised at all.

>Our topic "Diamante - A Car to Avoid!" served its
    >purpose well: hopefully it swayed a lot of people
    >from a piece of junk called Mitsu Diamante.

Actually I'm betting that a lot of readers who have read all of your ( and Maury2's)regurgitated/reduntant post's regarding the Diamante will actually look at the Diamante more seriously now.

The number of positive reader feedback far beats the negative, even with the several BOGUS postings by your buddy Maury2.

Thanks a lot for that Bohlen and Maury(... you two wouldn't be working for Mitsubishi ?!)

-C-
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    it appears that we are both correct. The online review of the 1999 Acura TL states 0-60 of 7.4sec. the June 2000 print issue in the back road test summary section says the same thing. Did they make any changes to the engine in the TL in the 2000 model? I don't have the most recent edition handy, but I'll try to look it up tonight. I NEVER slammed the TL in fact if you read my post I said it is a great car so chill out. I was simply clearing up the fact that the performance of both cars is very similar which it is, unlike your opinion that the TL is "far faster."
    in regards to your statement:
    "This is another example of your failure to acknowledge the fact that the Diamante is an inferior product."
    I was taught a long time ago not to argue with ignorance. Your therapist must have a field day with you.
    Thankfully the moderator froze the Diamante bashing topic. in his post he says:
    "The Town Hall is not to be utilized to seek some sort of revenge for a bad product or dealer."
    It is in this spirit that I request we ALL chill out and return to more civilized conversation.
    To answer your question, yes, from what I read there have been changes to the 2000 TL over the 99 edition. The 2000 has a 5 speed automatic transmission as opposed to the 4 speed for the 99 and the engine output was recalibrated for stronger mid range acceleration; this explains the faster acceleration figures for the 2000. It's a shame that you have to resort to name calling, I guess that it's some sort of ego boost for you. I'm sorry to disappoint but I've now owned both cars and I can speak objectively on both and that is unfortunate but the Diamante is not an equal rival to the TL. I really have no owner loyalty to any brand; I've owned models from GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Toyota and I think I can be objective. I'm not a narrow minded staunch supporter of any of these but I can tell you that the Hondas that I've owned have been the most trouble free.
    Why do I have to care about that silly second, especially I am not driving on a race track?

Also, a slower car does not make a product inferior. TL is faster, but is definitely more inferior to Rolls Royce!

VTEC got another controversial problem, which you will never read in any US magazine: VTEC works like a turbo and lift the car nose up when it starts working. A luxury car with arguably unfortable acceleration feel. Hummm.... I like the linear acceleration of my Diamante more.
    Boscolau, just curios what color and what year is your "D" ? Still got the stock stereo setup?

I'm wondering when the time comes to change the tires if I can put P225/R60's on the stock 16" rims?

Vivona, are you still there, or are you sick on what is going on in this discussion group?!
    How far can you go on the stock rims, I think they're 7" wide, can yo put 50's on them?

-C-
    As usual a well thought out, logical post from you, thank you!!! Have you or do you own a TL, have you lived with one for over 3000 miles and can you compare the two cars objectively, I think not. If you'll reread my post, I said that the acceleration issue is just ONE of the reasons the TL is superior, IMHO. I did not bring the issue of up 0-60 times up, someone else opened up that can of worms, I just said that it feels to me that the TL is quicker than the Diamante; according to MotorTrend it is significantly so. BTW, (a turbo?) that is not how VTEC works and I find that the TL's acceleration is as linear as the Diamante's only much stronger feeling. Can you give me a link to the article which states that the nose lifts up on the TL and where they describe the acceleration as being uncomfortable. Again, I've driven and owned both cars and these are my real world experiences, can you say the same thing?
    If only one thing can make a car superior, I don't see how your opinion make sense.

VTEC kicks in only at 4500rpm, like a turbo, kicks in only at certain rpm.

And the article, it's in a oversea publication. But I will try to find other source for your pleasure.

However, if you can quote MotorTrend as a convicing and objective source, I don't see how publication overseas can't be.
    ccancio, mine is a 99 black Diamante. I have put a JVC CD changer to my car. My tech did it this way: Make the JVC becomes the primary stereo unit and make the original cassette an auxilliary to the JVC changer.

I have no idea about the wheels and the rim, but my guess is 225 may be too big for the original rim, just my guess.
    Here's one, for all who are interested.

Autopedia

VTEC uses a dual stage mode and you can see the torque curve actually falls a little before VTEC kicks in. This is the 1997 technology and Honda has made this happen at 4500rpm.

So, you can think: the car start moving from 750 rpm, and unless it hits the 4500 rpm mark, VTEC will not kick in. When it kicks in, the car will go faster suddenly, yielding an unlinear change in acceleration.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ...in the frozen topic. I've kindly requested that advice be offered in helpful, not vindictive, context. I don't expect that abiding by this request will be a problem.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
    Thanks for the info on tires and rims!

If you have scanned photos somewhere on the web I'd appreciate to see them. I'd give you my email address but as you know we have some kiddie minds reading this discussion and one is not quite sure what they'll do next!?

Your making my mouth salivate ( I don't think my wife will have the same enthusiasm )as I know selecting just the right kind of tire/rim combo would make the 'D' a real head turner. I bet you have to change tires often with the softer and stickier rubber compound.

I will try to have a look at the Tire Rack website and have a nosey. Hmmm...maybe I can arrange somebody to steal my current stock chrome one's, which isn't that bad looking either, buy hey!

I actually have no complaints on the suspension and steering of the 'D' in Californian highways I've driven many cars from BMW's to Toyotas and I really don't mind the float.

and ...Gosh you have a Z3 as well, do you have silly people at the BMW Z3 discussion group as well???

-C-
  • DastoDasto Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2000 "D". I have Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 P235/45 ZR 17s mounted on 17" Einke Spiders.
    They look great. I can e-mail a pic, if you wish.
    OK I created a temp email address at :

diamante_ls@hotmail.com

Send them over I would appreciate them.
    I hope they're not too large and are JPEG images.

-C-
    The Tire Rack web site has an application where you can load in your car and color, and preview all the wheels that fit on it.
    It is awesome as you can see the wheels on your car before you buy them. Check it out at:
    http://www.tirerack.com
    Dasto,
    Do you find the 45 series tires leave a large wheel well gap without some lowering?
    Do you get any tire rub when turning lock to lock?
    I just took a look at the Acura TL topic. First of all let me say that I like the TL and think it is a great value car. What was amusing was the number of critical postings about the following:
    Squeeks
    Rattles
    Transmission problems
    Oil leaks
    Quality issues
    Service issues
    I bring this up only to point out that these topics can be deceiving in that most people only post who need help or need to vent a problem and That it is not necessarily a valid reading of the quality of the car or the car maker.
    BTW: maury2,
    I scanned all the way back to June, 2000 to the present in the TL forum's but I did not see any post's from you.
    I thought you just bought a new TL?
    Yes, I purchased one about 1 month ago and it's still a little to early to comment on the quality/reliability issues of the car (3000 miles) but I can tell you that thus far I'm extremely happy with it. Believe me, I WILL post if I become unhappy with it. Overall, IMHO, it's quicker, quieter, better handling and generally more comfortable for me than the Diamante was. The fit and finish on my car is also noticably better too. Oh Boscolau, peak torque is just one factor in a car's performance; you have to look at the overall torque and horsepower curves, weight and gearing. I've seen the dyno plots of many VTEC cars and though the horsepower curve spikes at 4500-5000 rpm, the torque curve is very flat. In fact, the TL makes 95% of it's torque between 2300-5000 rpm; quite a flat torque curve indeed.
    Also, the 4 cylinder VTEC engine in that Integra Type R is quite different than the V6 in my car. The 4 is designed to rev (8400 rpm redline) and I believe that car is not even offered with an automatic due to it's high rev nature. Yes, both cars have VTEC technology, but they are very different in the way that they drive. Why not drive a TL for an extended perod of time? Wouldn't it be great for you to broaden your horizons? You may or may not like it but at least you will be able speak objectively about both cars instead of having your one sided view of them.
    My Accord has an aluminum 16 valve 2.3 Liter VTEC which kicks in at about 4,000 rpm with no noticeable noise. The power surge is not turbo-like and there is definitely no "nose lift".
    I have a five speed transmission and it allows me
    to play with the torque curve as I please. The VTEC technology as most of you know supplies greater power when needed and is very fuel efficient. It is probably the most advanced valve-control system available in a production vehicle.
    Toyota has its version called VVT-i.
    I believe that it was Alfa Romeo who pioneered variable valve timing but it was Honda who refined it and brought it to mass production with the NSX as it was being designed in the late 80's. From there, this technology trickled down to most of thier other car lines. I have read that the VVT-i is not as smooth in the change over as Honda's VTEC. Apparently there is a slight lag as the cam profiles change. Mitsu used to be big with turbocharged cars but they seem to be phasing those out; there have been alot of bearing problems with the cars.
    All turbo Volvo models use Mitsubishi turbochargers. These units are rock solid and I have not heard of one turbo failure. I have been a turbo Volvo owner since 1998 ('98V70XC and new '01V70T5) and I monitor all the boards. Believe me there is no bearing problem with the Mitsubishi Turbocharger.
  • mikeignasiakmikeignasiak Member Posts: 6
    The last time I checked, I was signing into the Diamante III forum, not the Acura TL forum. Very politely, Im TIRED of reading about TL's.
    sorry, I was just making an observation of the common thread of people posting problems with their cars no matter what the make or model. Prior to that maury2 and I were having a conversation relative to performance comparison between the 2.
    Now back to the show!!!
    I have test droven the 2.3 L Accord with VTEC on it. If you hear close to it, not only can you feel VTEC kicks in as the car suddenly go fast, but also will you here the voice of VTEC. If you cannot notice that, you aren't a true VTEC fans.
    >If you hear close to it, not only can you feel
    >VTEC kicks in as the car suddenly go fast, but >also will you here the voice of VTEC. If you >cannot notice that, you aren't a true VTEC fans.

Voices???

How about just going to the Honda Discussion group and talk about the voices you hear from your car!

Mike is right - get back into posting about the Diamante, stuff the Vtec and Honda here you'v eexplained it enough.

Each group has its place come on, on with the program!

-C-
    Boscolau, voices from the engine? Hmmmmmm, oh please expand on that. No, on second thought don't; I think that I'd rather talk about Diamantes.
    This explains everything regarding Boscolau,
    no further comment.
  • mikeignasiakmikeignasiak Member Posts: 6
    Here we go again... Curious if anyone has had the same problem w/ their "D" before I take mine in to the Mitsu service shop and they tell me it is "normal" (I think they train all there service managers to give that answer off the bat in hopes they dont have to investigate a problem) Anyway, when the a/c is turned on, I get a chattering noise from the two center vents. It almost sounds as of a "flap" is not opening or closing properly and is flapping in the breeze so to speak. The problem at this point seems to be intermittant. Just yesterday it was making all kinds of racket so I headed straight for the dealer. Just as I pulled into the lot, the noise stopped. I think even the damn car is afraid of a stay at the service shop. I also get an intermitant rubbing noise from the fan when it is used at low volume. Any similar experiences?
  • vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    I found this at http://www.cardata.com/mitsubishi_showroom.htm

Reports of Diamante's imminent demise were evidently premature. Our sources predict a bold restyle for 2004 and a clean-sheet replacement for 2006. The latter is said to a stretched version of Mitsubishi's next midsize Galant sedan, also slated for '06. Both share a new basic platform that gets its first outing with Mitsubishi's 2004 Endeavor crossover SUV, then in a redesigned 2005 Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Stratus. Predictably, the '06 Diamante will have its own styling and maybe a unique powertrain.

Pictures should be available from the NY Auto Show website in the next few days.

Mr. Vivona
    No chatter or rubbing from my A/C.
    Mike, I don't have it. But previous experience with my 86 Honda Accord was that leaves got sucked in the blower in-take ( by parking underneath a tree) and depending how the leaf is position makes a chattering noise else you didn't.
    It does the same when cellphane wrap gets in.

...but then you should hear that chatter as well when just the blower is going and not just with AC.

Anyway
  • azmcraeazmcrae Member Posts: 2
    I have a 92' Diamante LS (DOHC) and have noticed a loss in performance. I'm currently pegging 0-60 in about 11 seconds. I used to be well under 10 secs. about 30,000 miles ago. I have had the dealer go over it, performed a compression check (solid) and pulled the injectors and had them tested by a fuel injection shop. I'm at a loss now for what could be up. I kinda wanted to get any feedback from anyone else that has this model of D. regarding
    performance numbers.
    Thanx!!!!
    P.S.
    The plugs (Denso Iridiums), wires, fuel filter,
    O2 sensor and timing belt all have been recently
    replaced.
    Hi everyone! I have been on vacation for 10 days. Had a great time. What happened while I was gone? I will have to read all the posts in MDII and the frozen bashing topic, then comment.

A quick response to the person with the paint specs on his Diamante. DO NOT let someone compound the paint to remove the unwanted road paint. Use detailer's clay, available from many auto parts stores as Clay Magic. It does an excellent job of removing surface paint without removing any of the original paint at all.

Mr. Vivona
    I tried to read up on the Mitsubishi Diamante II frozen topic and when I go there, I get a blank page. Where is it?
    Here's a link to a UBC paper about Variable Valve Timing and you will find VTEC is like a turbo which has a two-step design. It works only when it kicks in.

The paper also pointed out that VVT system like Toyota's VVT-i can generate a smoother torque curve than a two-step design.

Diamante has no such a system. So, the ride does not suffer from entering the high-rev step acceleration problem, yeilding a more linear, and luxury ride acceleration.

Of course, VVT, regardless of the design of the system, is a good system. But a car with a two-step VVT design, suspecting to generate a sudden acceleration, should be classified as a sporty car, more than a luxury car.

Dedicated to the one who has a narrow view in mind and still, while not qualified, ask other people to broaden their view.
    Anything you say boscolau; you're my hero.
    Methinks, we have to ask the gate keeper to get it fixed as an Oracle error pops up.

...or maybe the thread got a X rating after all the bashing that has been going on in that topic.

-C-
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ...what happened to the "II" topic. I'll gladly accept the blame, as I have in the past, if I accidentally deleted the old topic. I honestly don't recall an error of this sort on my part. I'm already working on getting it restored...

Later,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
    I rented a Pontiac Gran Prix, 3100 engine, AT, while on vacation. It is always interesting to see the difference between your car and one you spend 10 days with while on vacation. You can particularly notice the differences during the first day with the rental and the first day back with your own car.

Here are my impressions. The Gran Prix handled pretty good, but at the expense of a stiffer ride that vibrated me and my wife enough to cause a bit of car sickness. When you spend several hours in a car, the constant ride roughness takes its toll. The on-center steering was a bit numb and return-to-center was slow unless you were accelerating. The brakes were okay, but a bit harder on the pedal than the Diamante. The seats were uncomfortable, lacking support at the bottom rear. Acceleration was noticeably slower than the Diamante.

As to quality, the Gran Prix (2000 model) was light years behind the Diamante:

The Gran Prix's front passenger door and both rear door panels popped loose and had to be snapped back in place. This happened several times. (I have had this happen on similar GM cars in the past).

A part of the Gran Prix dash popped loose leaving a 1/4" gap between it and the surrounding dash.

The Gran Prix interior rattled a lot on rough roads. You could squeeze the dash parts and they would creak and groan.

The Gran Prix's right front strut developed a squeaking noise...sounded like a prairie dog had taken up residence in it!

The Gran Prix radio was only fair. The A-pillar mounted tweeters faced towards each other, rather than towards the occupants. Overall sound was mediocre.

The Gran Prix exterior rubber trim around the windshield came loose. The windshield itself leaked during any rain. During a car wash water poured in from the ceiling.

The Gran Prix interior trim around the A-pillar was poorly fitted and could easily be peeled back.

The Gran Prix's doors would automatically unlock when you put the car in park. I don't like that.

There was no remote release for the Gran Prix fuel door (which didn't lock).

The Gran Prix's road noise was moderate.

When I returned home and drove my Diamante I was really amazed at the difference in quality. The fit and quality of the Diamante interior parts are significantly better. I burned rubber upon my first start due to the much better power of the Diamante. I can spend hours in my Diamante and still be comfortable. The brakes are much stronger and more linear. And the stereo...much better sound.

I had a similar experience last year when I rented a Chrysler Concorde for a week. It was noticeably lower in fit, finish and feel than the Diamante. Sometimes it is nice to be reminded just how good your car really is.

Mr. Vivona