Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Diamante

Comments

• Well used car prices got so cheap, that i went out and bought a 2000 Avalon for 16k, trading in my 92 diamante :(.

It was a great car, and i miss it a little, but I think the crowning blow, was when i saw an absolutely cherry 95' Diamante on a used car lot for $1950.00. Hell I almost bought it, it was in much better shape than the '92 I owned. But then this dealer decided to give me 1750.00 tradein on a 2000 Avalon ( with its amazing VVTI engine), and I decided to say goodbye to it.

Thanks for the help everyone, cheers.
  • Where do you live??? You can't touch an Avalon or Diamante around here for those prices. I saw a used '93 or '94 D ES for $6K last week. And the Toyota's are significantly more expensive. There has been no break on used car prices in Seattle...
  • I live in Greater Los Angeles. I found the Cherry 95 Diamante for 1950.00 at a dealer amongst this strip of dealers on Sepulveda Blvd in Van Nuys.

I shop for about 2 weeks AutoTrader and found several 2000 Avalons under 20k, I also shopped Recycler.com.

Some of them were salvage, but some were not, the one i bought was a 1 owner lease return with a Bench seat, which is the option I was hoping for.
  • Anybody have any idea how to git rid of the time of day on the stereo on my 01 (P-901 stereo). It used to display the station but after service which involved disconnecting the battery the display show the time of day. Seems like a simple thing but there is nothing in the manuel and the dealer knows zip.

John
  • I have a 1992 Diamante. I love my car but the only thing that isn't working is the AC. Here is Sacramnto in the Summer it's hot. The AC rarely comes on, I have had everything checked about 3 times, the freon and system looks ok but still no cooling. The AUTO controls for the AC don't work and the FAN control only works on HIGH. Any ideas?
    Post here or send email, I could use the help.

mike@mikecaldwell.com
  • Welcome to the Diamante group. I, too, have a 92 Diamante LS with exactly the same problem as you describe. Unfortunately to date, I can't still figure out what the cause is, in spite of numerous trips to the mechanic. I've got a feeling the problem is electrical and affecting the automatic climate control, and therefore when this is not functioning properly, nothing functions properly (i.e. the blower speed control, the A/C). But I'm no expert and the "experts" here are stumped as well. If I do find out anything, I'll let you know.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    This is just a possibility, but since both of you are desperate, my input may come in handy. I had a 93 Diamante ES. One morning I left the car running and the heater on high to warm the car. When I got back in the car, the auto AC had completely gone kaput. Nothing worked. Turns out one of the 2 relays controlling the system had shorted out. One relay is located in the driver's footwell and the other in the passenger footwell behind the glovebox. My problem was caused by the one on the driver-side. Supposedly one controls low fan speeds while the other controls high fan speeds (they also control the auto AC function). Therefore, it could be possible for one to quit working and allow the system to only run on high. I would look into replacing these relays. They only cost $15 a piece. Replacing that one relay fixed my auto AC and it worked fine until I sold it at 173k. This could very well be the simple electrical gremlin that is causing your major problems.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    been offered a deal to trade up my wife's 2001 to a 2002. Identical car (ES) right down to color except the 2002 has alum. wheels.

what to do.......4k to trade. currently the payment is 290, and would go up about 20 bucks a month. Wife is putting about 22.5k miles on a year.
  • Thanks for the input. I'm gonna print out your post and show it to the mechanic the next time I go. Although I'm not in too much of a hurry having just spent 500 bucks on some exhaust work and a new (rebuilt) engine computer. Man, this is one expensive car to maintain.
  • I may be picking up a 2002 LS in tomorrow and I was wondering what kind of real world gas mileage I can expect.
    Fat Sam
    my wife gets 23-27 in town with hers.
    4k to trade for the same car, with the only difference being alloy wheels? You could buy some alloy wheels for $500 or so. To me, it doesn't seem worth it. Is this 02 brand new or a program car?
    made an offer to trade for 3.

same car.....20000 miles less. actually the sell price on the 2002 with 11k miles would be less than the 2001 with 11k I bought last year. Plus the interest rate is less.....payment would go up maybe 10 bucks but if it works to my offer would pick back up 20000 miles.

FWIW, I usually don't keep my cars past 4 years......I don't wanna spend ANY money on FIXING stuff. If I unload the car before the first wave of repairs (brakes, tires, suspension) then my overall expenditures is usually limited to the car payment and oil changes only. I can manage my expenses better when I am paying for those known amounts. On a continual basis it costs less than hanging on to the car too long and getting hit with the 1000 and 1200 dollar repairs. Even those 6-700 dollar repairs will end up costing more over time.

Not a big deal now, but since I am buying a house soon I want to have a car in the stable that will be in the warranty period longer, so in 2 years that D will have only 50k miles on it (and still just have some powertrain warranty left), not 70 (and out of warranty).

4k is less than the first year depreciation on any new car anyways, and even if you look at it in terms of mileage only, you still need to account for the idea that MSRP's go up 4-5 percent or more each year and on a 25k MSRP car like the D that's an additional 1k appreciation each year on top of mileage that the next year car costs you. The folks who hang on to their cars for say, 10 years, not only lose the value of what they paid on the car they bought but are losing 50% or more in terms of replacement value. The car you pay 30k for now will cost you 45-50k in ten years. In ten years your 25k car has no value and you are down 45-50k on the new one, which is at least 4-5 k a year.

If I can swing the deal for 3k I am in good shape with the wife on pace for 22k miles a year.

Plus then I don't have to look at those freaking ugly hubcaps and worry about her driving on those slippery Yokohama tires. And she's happy because she's got the exact same car (except for wheels which she don't care about).
  • Hey--

Does anyone know why Mitsu's website "www.mitsubishicars.com" does not have info on the 2003 Diamante? Every other model has new 2003 info, but the D still is listed as 2002. Seems kinda like a model change or a discontinuance of one model or another is on the horizon...
  • The 2003 Diamante will exist but I'm not sure if they are in production yet. Major changes are standard alloys and sunroof on the ES model along with upgraded cloth interior on the ES and VR-X.
  • Thanks for the info. Where did you get it? Just curious...
  • I work for a car dealer who also has a Mitsubishi franchise.
  • Looks like the 2003 info has now been updated. Everything the guy said is right, 16" alloys and standard power sunroof for the ES. Some changes to the VR-X. Base prices looks the same. Check it out for yourself at www.mitsubishicars.com

Still a great car at a great price...
  • 1. I want to change the tranny fluid on my 1st gen D. Would removing the two drain plugs listed in my manual accomplish this(I don't want to have to drop the pan).

2. At idle or low RPM my car makes a tapping sound. To me it just sounds like the valves. It's never given me cause for concern because I just think it's a sound the engine makes and not a problem. However, I read that changing back to an OEM oil filter will stop the tapping(no explanation as to why). I can't figure out why this would be. ANyone know?
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    Any info on the 2004 Diamante. When will it go on sale and any info on changes (pictures)?
  • I don't know the details, but I am pretty sure we're going to see something new for 2004. The current car, while still a well designed and competent machine, is seriously out of date (7 years). I saw a few months ago some artist sketches (not sure of the source, somewhere in Australia) of the car and it looks much more "Eclipse-esque" than I would like (big swoopy lines and bug headlights, etc)...we'll just have to wait and see.
    traded the platinum white 2001 ES for a 2002 platinum white ES today for my wife.

gain 22,000 miles back. the new one has 12k on the odometer.

and aside from alum wheels w/ goodyears and the newer front end and rear lights its the same car. The newer one I got cheaper than last year....blame the economy and used car market. trade diff was 3500 (15400-11900), but with good trade number and lower interest payment only goes up 10 bucks. In MN you almost have to trade because then you only pay sales tax on the difference. If you sell your car private party, you lose $$$ in having to pay tax on the full price of the new car you get. I think its the biggest scam....not only does the gov. get the money on the intital purchase, they get it over and over again when the car changes hands every few years.....the dealers use it to their advantage to keep their trade values low.....("you know if you buy the car without trading you'll apy an extra 1000 in sales tax").

My wife on the ride home said she thought the newer one felt noticeably tighter. Considering the miles she drove were hard miles on the old one I would understand. The year we had the 2001 was completely trouble free. Only did oil changes! Had I kept the 2001 it woulda been time for the initial maintainace stuff, and that woulda tightened it up.

Not a screaming deal, but a good one, move up in miles and warranty again, not mcuh extra money and my wife is still happy! Plus now I got aluminum wheels to look at and not ugly hubcaps.
    http://www.geocities.com/regfootball/diamanteindex.html

Dang I like this car......

dial up users beware...picture file sizes are really large....

actually I see they just shut it down because of file transfer size....I will try to resize the pics and repost them, tomorrow....need sleep now!

• I'm wondering what the typical cost is for the 60K service + timing belt on a 98 Diamante ES. I don't want to get screwed over by the dealership (I don't trust them). They've already given me an estimate of about $599 for the 60K service and about 450 for the timing belt replacement labor and parts cost. I don't recall whether the transmission service (which I've been told I need by a separate garage) is part of the above 60K service or not. I have 73K on the car now, so this is something I need to do soon. Can anybody tell me whether this $1,000+ combination of 60K service and timing chain replacement is typical/standard or should I be shopping around? I mean, I know shopping around is generally a good idea in any case, but I'm a bit concerned about having any old garage work on the car and potentially use non-Mitsu parts.

Thanks

Chris

• tcole3tcole3 Posts: 10
    Hi Mr. Vivona - I have posted intermittenly on here before. I bought a 2001 Diamante LS in March with 8000 miles on it. It still has the factory warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles on it. I have 484 days or 16,000 left on the warranty. My question is should I buy the extended warranty from the dealer it is @$1400.00 to extend to 75,000 miles. They also have one to 100,000 miles but it is almost $2000.00. What about warranty offers on the internet? I maintain my car well, change oil every 3000 miles, use mid-grade gas (should I switch to the premium?) have maintance performances as per the dealer. I mostly do city driving - live in the desert. My last car was a Pontiac Grand Am which I kept for 7 years -it only had 73,000 miles on it but after it hit 50,000 miles (warranty) it seemed like everything fell apart and I was constantly sinking money into it. I would of kept it longer as it was in good shape interior and exterior. I would like to keep this car for about 7 years or longer as from reading some of these posts I can expect this car to go past 100,000. I do not do any work on the car myself - please let me know what you think

Thanks Theresa
    That 60k service sounds pretty darn high! I would ask how much they charge to simply change your spark plugs, air filter, oil (if needed, not sure when u had it done last), and do a tranny service. Anything else is not needed. Don't buy into a fuel system cleaning or any of the other "checks" they do. With those services, it should cost around 250. The timing belt change sounds about right pricewise. Hope that helps.
    i think the diamante has a 5/60 powertrain warranty.
  • vivonavivona Posts: 410
    Extended warranties are not often a good deal. On average, only about 18% of the money spent on extended warranties is actually paid out. That means there is a 82% profit margin on them. Sure, one owner may get more back than the warranty cost, but overall, the payout is about 18%.

Most of the expensive repairs on a car involve the powertrain. The Diamante basic 3/36 warranty is bumper-to-bumper (it covers everything). Mitsubishi also warranties the powertrain beyond the bumper-to-bumper warranty to 5 years and 60,000 miles. That means the extended warranty you are considering is only buying you an extra 15,000 miles.

If I were you, I would put the $1,400 in the bank as a "car repair fund" and use it if you actually needed it for something that the warranty would have covered. The odds are greatly in your favor that you will still have most, if not all, of the money when you reach 75,000 miles.

Your experience with a Grand Am should not be repeated with a Diamante. The Grand Am has a poorer reliability record and failures beyond 50,000 miles are not unusual. A Diamante should go well over 100,000 miles without a failure. I personally know of several Diamante owners that have past the 100,000 mile mark without a problem. In fact, a friend of mine just sold his 1992 with 216,000 miles on it and it was just then beginning to need a valve job. That ain't bad!

Your single biggest risk in having your car last a long time is the quality of work done by mechanics during periodic maintenance.

As to mid-grade gas. I also use it in my 1999 Diamante and note no decrease in performance or gas mileage.

If you still decide that must have an extended warranty, you should be able to find a better price than $1,400. Search on the words "extended auto warranty" and request quotes from several online sources. For instance, a quick check with Warrantybynet came up with $814 for a 5/75 warranty. Be sure to get a quote from your local American Automobile Association office. Remember, though, if you buy a warranty it is only as good as the company behind it and many policies have a lot of exclusions, so "buyer beware".

Mr. Vivona
  • tcole3tcole3 Posts: 10
    Thanks for the information. I think you are right, I will just put the money in a "car fund". I really love this car and plan on keeping it for a while. I am having all the service work done at the dealer and will probably stay with them after the warranty runs out. They are really good at fixing little things with no charge and the service is excellent. So far I am really happy with my car. I appreciate the honest answers you provide.

Thanks again!!

Happy Holidays
    Theresa
  • vivonavivona Posts: 410
    I did my annual visit to the auto show which always includes my review of cars in the entry luxury field. This review only includes those things that can be evaluated on a car parked on the show floor, so it does not involve a test drive. In any event, if a car fails to pass this test, there is usually no reason to move on to driving it. Thought I am not in the market for a new car (I love my 1999 Diamante and will keep it at least 6 more years) I like to keep up with what is available.

As with past years, if I had to do all over again, I would buy a Diamante. Diamante does the best job of meeting all the criteria that is important to me.

As to the 2003, I carefully looked over the VRX and LS models on display and only noted two very small changes. One is there are some extra items in the engine bay, probably to meet emission laws. The other is the presence of a pass-through from the trunk. Though the lack of one hasn't been much of an issue for me, I did note that it would not be hard to retrofit a 1997 to 2002 Diamante. All you would have to do is buy the pass-through door assembly from the dealer's parts department, remove the rear seatback and cut a hole in the metal and mount the door. The tricky part is getting the measurements right so it lines up perfectly with the back of the center fold-down armrest. You would also have to be careful to avoid any wiring harness that may be present. I don't have any immediate plans to pursue this, but if any Diamante owners really need a pass-through, this would be something worth trying.

Mr. Vivona