Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Diamante

Comments

• vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    Here are photos of the 2004 Diamante and Galant. The Galant certainly looks different, but the picture of the Diamante looks like the 2003 model. The front and back views may be different, but the picture doesn't give us a look at that. Anyway, check it out at:

http://www.autoshowny.com/html/body_ny_debuts_p.html
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the hatchet job on the front end of the 2004 Diamante is REPREHENSIBLE. OH MY GOD! My wife will cry when I show her how they murdered her Diamante!
    Where did you see the front view of the 2004 Diamante? Do you have a link to a web page?

Mr. Vivona
    I found a few pieces of 2004 Diamante information:

Here is a good view of the front:

http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars_trucks/2003/4/ny_- - auto_show_live_rep4/images/lg_diamante-lg.jpg

Here is a detailed story:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2003/04/16/159485.html?NEWS

Here is the Mitsubishi press release with pictures:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/inter/NEWS/0304-09/0326.html

I haven't found any pictures of the rear end yet.

Mr. Vivona
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I saw pics of the back end of the 04 Diamante on the autoweek website. It looks exactly the same. No changes. So I guess it is another reskinning, giving it another 2 years till it is finally replaced. Is Mitsu trying to become GM by keeping a platform alive way past its prime?
    The new face isn't bad by itself but its so much sleeker than the rest of the car, it looks out of place. Its too 'slanted'. I like the idea of less clutter on the front end, but it should be a bit more upright to match the rest of the car.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    couldn't agree with you more, that was my first impression of the 04 D, however, I still think the current front end looks much better and is distinguished. Too bad the D is going to look like an other face in the crowd.
  • rsr742002rsr742002 Member Posts: 64
    Diamante seems to be the worst-depreciating car on the market (especially among the Japanese makers). So poor fit and finish are not the only
    traits of this vehicle. I would say: steer clear.
  • rsr742002rsr742002 Member Posts: 64
    Bulletins for 2000 Mitsubishi Diamante LS Sedan V6-3490cc 3.5L SOHC MFI

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title SR-00-003 JUN 00 Recall - Parking Brake

Service Bulletins
         TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 02-54-009 NOV 02 Audio System - CD Player Functional Problems
     02-11-001R OCT 02 Engine - Testing for Excessive Oil Consumption
     02-23-004 JUL 02 A/T - Revised Bolt Torque Values
     02-42A-009 JUN 02 Body/Frame - Dripline Weatherstrip Loose
     02-11-003 JUN 02 Engine - Replacement Piston Selection
     02-42A-001 JAN 02 Door Glass - Adjustment Revision
     01-31-004 NOV 01 Tires - Goodyear(R) Product Service Locations
     01-00-021 OCT 01 Scan Tool - Multi-Use Tester II Warranty Coverage
     01-23-010 JUL 01 A/T - Shudder/Surge/Vibration
     01-37A-002 JUL 01 Steering Rack - Overhaul Procedure Revision
     01-00-011R JUL 01 Tool - Battery/Starting/Charging System Analyzer
     01-11-002 MAY 01 Engine - Block Heater Update
     01-54-006 MAY 01 Speedometer/Odometer - Replacement/Mileage Setting
     01-31-001 APR 01 Tire Chains - Usage Precautions
     01-00-007 FEB 01 Trunklid/Defroster - Operation
     00-17-001 NOV 00 Cruise Control Switch - Voltage Check Revision
     00-00-016 NOV 00 Payload/Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Information
     00-54-010 NOV 00 Wiring Configuration Diagrams - Manual Revisions
     00-42A-008 OCT 00 Remote Keyless Entry - Identification/Programming
     00-13-005 AUG 00 OBD II Monitor Readiness - Drive Cycle Procedures
     00-23-005 JUL 00 A/T, Remanufactured - Program Update
     99-23-010 OCT 99 A/T - Recommended Maintenance
     99-23-011 OCT 99 A/T Oil Cooler - Backflush Alternative
     99-54-008 OCT 99 Antitheft - Immobilizer Override Codes Missing
     99-54-010 OCT 99 Antitheft - Procedure For No Start Problem
     99-51-002 OCT 99 Paint - Color Codes/Applications
     99-31-004 OCT 99 Wheel - Balancing Accuracy Tips
     99-54-007 SEP 99 Entertainment Device - CD Changer Installation
     99-31-003 AUG 99 Tires - Updated Rotation Recommendations
     99-00-003R JUN 99 Antitheft - Engine Immobilizer System PDI & Service
     99-11-006 JUN 99 Engine - Valve Lash Adjuster Cleaning Procedure
     99-00-004 JUN 99 VIN - Decoding Chart
     99-00-002 FEB 99 Sealant/Adhesive/Chemical - Interchange Information
     98-42A-008 OCT 98 Remote Keyless Entry - Update
     98-00-00A SEP 98 Fluids, Refrigerants and Materials (Genuine Mitsubishi)
     98-23-004 APR 98 A/T - Perform Cooler Flow Test When Replacing A/T
     98-54-001 FEB 98 Audio System - Diagnosis
     97-35-004 SEP 97 Brakes - Judder (vibration) Diagnosis and Repair
     97-42A-012 SEP 97 Interior - Buzz, Squeak, and Rattle Kit
     97-00-006 JUL 97 Body - Removing RAP Film From Body Surfaces
     97-00-002 MAR 97 Tools - Enhanced Diagnostic Testing & Feature Software
     97-52B-001 FEB 97 Air Bag - Minimizing Deployment Risk
     97-42A-001 FEB 97 Interior - Wind Noise Diagnosis
     91-00-015 OCT 91 Tools - Multi-Use Tester Warranty
    and your point would be? I think TSB's are issued on all vehicles.

Yes, the Diamante isn't holding its value in the last few models years, but that is as much a function of the same body style on the market for several years as much as anything. Also too high MSRP's.

My experiences with 2 Diamantes have been 100% free of issues so far. I don't think the Diamante has 'lemon' status.
    TSB's are issued on all vehicles. They are issued mainly for changes in service procedures, service manual corrections, dealer prep procedures and the such. Some may relate to actual problems.

The list you posted is not just for the 2000 Diamante. Look at the dates. You have listed TSB's even back to 1991. The vast majority of the TSB's you listed are merely notices of changes in service procedures or specifications. Very few are for actual problems. Without actually reading the details of each item on the list, it appears that only 3 to 5 of the TSB's are related to actual problems. That is very good compared to many other cars.

I see no evidence of poor fit and finish in any Diamante I have owned or looked at. Carpoint gives the Diamante an excellent reliability rating.

Mr. Vivona
  • kozloduevkozloduev Member Posts: 5
    Recently I was driving down the parkway and all of sudden I heard a sharp, loud sound that could be compared to a gunshot, that came from somewhere inside the dashboard of my Mitsu 97. The air conditioner was on at that time and was working perfectly. My trip was over in a few minutes and I did not notice any changes in the performance of my car. But since then my conditioner never was the same. It is weak and despite strong air flow, the cooling power has significantly diminished. Maybe the sound was produced by a small stone hitting the underside of my car and my AC weakness has nothing to do with that sound. I would appreciate any suggestions or even guesses.
  • edwardoplunketedwardoplunket Member Posts: 31
    Hello Everyone,

I haven't been here in a while, but I'm going in for service and have a question. My wipers operate very slow. Slower than what I am accustomed. Dealer has comment that they all do that, and I'm looking for a confirmation before I start checking out new one's on their lot. BTW, I have had a blown wiper system fuse on this new car already...thought that was a bit unusual.

Best Regards

Ed
    It sounds like a seal or hose blew in your AC system. The freon is under high pressure and I have heard that when a seal or hose blows, it literally sounds like a loud bang. If this occured, than your freon is leaking out and that would explain the reduced cooling power. The freon level will eventually get so low that the AC compressor will not click on. Running your AC with low freon can damage the compressor so I highly suggest you get it looked at and stop running the AC until you do. Good luck and let us know what they find.
    Thank you very much for your response. I'll check my AC as soon as possible.
    Best Regards.
    Ray
    Yeah, the Diamante wipers are indeed a little slow.
    edwardoplunket - It is hard to judge what you subjectively mean by "slow wipers". The wipers should never be run with the glass dry. The friction between the rubber blades and the glass will put a load on the motor. So I am assuming that you mean when it is raining and you use the wipers in the continuous mode (not intermittent) that they run slowly. The fact that the wiper motor fuse blew leads me to believe that you have a defective motor or the wiper linkage is binding. Also, worn out wiper blades may be dragging.

Let's start by comparing wiper speed. While it is raining steadily (or while someone sprays the glass with a hose) measure with a stopwatch how many seconds it takes for the wiper blades to wipe 10 times in low speed and 10 times in high speed and post the results. Other Diamante owners and I can post our results and see if your wipers are indeed slower.

Mr. Vivona
  • edwardoplunketedwardoplunket Member Posts: 31
    Thanks guys. I'll time them tonight and get back to you guys.

Best Regards

Ed
  • new14new14 Member Posts: 3
    Talk to mecanic today he said to stay away from the Mitsubishi Diamante LS Sedan because they have big time tranmission problems the auto is an head ache Please let me know if this is so my email is alex.jones@crhs.net any feedback would be helpful before making the decission on buying. I have a great chance to buy a pretty auto just wanted to make sure it would be the right move. If any owner had the chance would you do it again. Thank you ahead of time. New14
    OK, I posted a message yesterday (935)to see if any owner could tell me something on the 2002 model D before buying please let me know your your say on this automobile. The auto is great interror design, All the sweets this car offers is no good if it is sitting in my driveway broke down or at the dealer service department. I am looking for a stylish auto but would like it to be dependable also. What you think does matter to me Thank you. New14
    I have a friend who is the shop foreman for my local Mitsubishi dealer's service department. He told me the Diamante is Mitsu's best built vehicle (Lancer is close 2nd), with very few problems and almost no recalls. He did not mention running into any automatic tranny problems. He said most problems he runs into are due to owner neglect, not the design of the car. The first gen Diamante (92-96) did have a few problems with the transmission and the 97 model had a tsb regarding a reprogramming of the tranny control module, but other than that there are no known problems with the current Diamante's transmission.
    about 31,000 miles driven on D's and no issues.
    I bought used Diamante97 7 months ago with 47K on it,and I still enjoy the ride and flawless operation. I put 10K more on my Diamante. Of course, time will show if it is really dependable car, but I have a feeling that it will perform without major problems for many years.
    There are no known problems with the Diamante transmission. I have a 1999 with 31,000 miles, my wife has a 2002 with 9,000 miles, friends of mine with Diamantes ranging from 92-2000 model years with mileages up to 180,000 have had no transmission problems.

According to the reliability records on autos.msn.com, all reported years of the Diamante have an excellent reliability record, with no reported trouble areas.

See http://autos.msn.com/vip/usedoverview.aspx?make=Mitsubishi&mo- del=Diamante&src=LeftNav
    To All I would like to thank you for your time in responding to questions I had on this model. I will take advanage of the advice received, But again thank you.

New14
  • wheeler24wheeler24 Member Posts: 5
    I just had to replace a broken speed sensor on the left rear wheel of my 2000 LS.The diagnositic test was $68.00, the replacement part was $365.00 and the labor was an additional $68.00!! OUCH!! Naturally the dealer stated this rarely occurs on the newer cars and he did not know why the part was so expensive. Has anyone else experienced a failure of their speed sensors?? What was the cost of the repair? By the way the speed sensor monitors the ABS and traction control option. If broken, the idiot lights flash and tell you those functions are disabled. I drove the car about two weeks before I had the repair done.
  • ccancioccancio Member Posts: 91
    All,
    I am going to my third year since I bought my 1999 Diamante and so far the experiance has ben a pleasant one.

I currently live only 5 miles to work so I have only clocked 34,000 miles on the car.

So far here is what I experienced on the car.

1. On year 2:Faulty Oxygen sensor.
    Problem: Check Engine Light went lit.
    Resolution: Replaced under warranty. Part cost $80.

2. On year 2: Replaced Exhaust header.
    Problem: Extreme rattling noise in the main exhaust header, especially after cold starts and when at high RPM. part cost was $250
    Resolution: Replaced under warranty.

3.On year 4: Replaced Fuel Single Injector.
    Problem: Engine stalls at low RPM.
    Resolution: Surprisingly it was after 3 year manufacturers warranty but Mitsi still fixed it for free :-) . Part cost was $250 for the single injector kit.

I even had the 5 year extended warranty (paid $900) but they just paid for my tow!

I have replaced my front brakes myself one time around a year and a half ago. Though Mr. Vivona "cringed" :-) when I elected to use a non-Mitsi semi-metallic option I bought off a website for $17. I so far have had no problems and my braking performance is smooth and I have not experienced any rotor warping at all.

My only negative comments on the car is on the vehicles finish. The rubber weather stripping on the bottom of the front windshield is deterioting. As well, the black paint on the rear window stripping is flaking off, making it look odd. I am wondering if there is a corrosive substance in the windshield washer fluid that would make it deteriote like that or may acid rain in my area?

Also the paint job on the very edge of the doors glob'd up at spots and that came off to reveal the undercoat primer - but no biggie!

On a side note, though I am very happy at the D's acceleration from a complete stop.
    The 'blah' area is around 40-55 MPH when you want to accelerate quickly the response is a bit slow. At times I would drive like a maniac stomping on the gas pedal to 'tune' the tranny up to make it more responsive. So I would have wished that the Diamante had a manual Over-Drive switch like some cars do so I wouldn't have to do that. I hope they do offer a 'tiptronic' in the newer models.

Hope this info helps some folks...
    -C-
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I'll be turning in a 99 Diamante with full leather, CD radio and 25k miles in 2 months. Anyone who might be interested before I turn it in can respond here. I'm in the Chicago area.
      I realize this is not a place to sell a car so, this is not an offer to sell, but respond if you would like to talk about it.

Frank
    The 2004 Diamante will have a tiptronic type transmission, called Sportronic. Here is a press release:

The All New 2004 Diamante
    Coming to you this fall...
    May 22, 2003

Mitsubishi's flagship Diamante sedan gets a thorough reskin for the 2004 model year. Exterior changes include new grille, headlamps, and tail lamps. Front-drive continues and three models will be offered. The value-leading ES has cloth upholstery, auto climate control, power sunroof, and 140-watt AM/FM/CD player. LS adds leather interior trim, power driver's seat, electro-luminescent gauges, redwood-style interior trim, and 270-watt stereo with steering wheel-mounted controls. VR-X has sport suspension tuning, traction control, white-face gauges, and metallic-style console trim. All have a 4-speed automatic transmission and are powered by the same 3.5-liter V6 found in the current Diamante, however the VR-X's less restrictive exhaust system ups horsepower from 201 to 210. The redesigned Diamante goes on sale this fall. Prices were not announced

The new front fascia carries the company's international signature with sweeping triangulated headlights, a split grille faired into a smoothly integrated bumper and the triple diamond logo taking a more prominent position on the vehicle's leading edge. It's a stronger, more substantial look. And as final details, there are new fog lights and side marker lights are artfully spliced into the bumper's upper cut-line.

At the rear of the 2004 Diamante, character lines are eliminated in favor of smooth contours, the trunk lid makes a softer transition into the bumper and the taillights have more contemporary lenses. The style is more organic and less angular, to compliment the new front-end design.

As with last year, there are three Diamante trim lines, starting with the ES. Inside, the center instrument panel and console have been updated and new ES trim fabric is tailored for a more stylish impression. Newly designed multi-spoke 16” alloy wheels are standard.

Diamante LS now is equipped with Mitsubishi's Sportronic® auto/manual transmission and a cranked-up 270-watt Mitsubishi/Infinity premium audio system with steering wheel mounted controls.

For 2004, the athletic VR-X is equipped with a unique grille, black-out bezel headlights, sport taillights, 10-spoke alloy wheels and a new rear spoiler. The VR-X model also features the 270-watt Mitsubishi/Infinity® premium audio system with steering wheel mounted controls and a center instrument panel and console finished in silver. Also new to VR-X is Mitsubishi’s Sportronic® automatic/manual transmission.

With a high-torque 3.5-liter engine, lush ride quality, international styling and fully equipped interior, Diamante offers an uncommon alternative to the common names in luxury sedans. And for some drivers, uniqueness is a luxury of its own.
    my wife just recently returned from a trip in the Diamante and averaged close to 29 mpg on the return trip including a lot of stop and go miles in city stops along the way.....nice mpg
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    abes Aug 4, 2001 1:38pm

Does anyone have an answer to the problem in the link? I am having trouble with my sunroof buttons on a 95 Diamante LS. It seems that the buttons no longer perform the functions pictured on them. I sometimes have to use the tilt open button to shut the roof and the close buttons to open. It seems there is no method to the madness, any help would be appreciated.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I hope the new Diamante/Galant are not styled after the Endeavor. That thing is a sales bomb. We have only sold 4 or 5 since they were introduced.
    'new' Diamante is a mild facelift only. New front end and some shifting in the interior console bits.

Galant is all new.
  • white02d1white02d1 Member Posts: 1
    As the title says this would be my 1st time on this discussion. I recently purchased a 2002 Diamante with 12,800 on the odometer and would like some input from other owners. I will say that I have owned Mitsu vehicles in the past and have had good overall experiences, I owned a 93 3000 GT SL and then a 96 VR4 but when my family grew the sport car had to go.
     After reading through some of the post on this board, I have gathered some info for issues I am experiencing such the tires (Eagles GA) and the vibrations.
    1.) I read on previous post about balancing and the possibility the tires may need replacing all together. My question I guess would be should I check with my local dealer wether or not they have that GSP9700 (or something like that) to balance tires or should I just get the tires balanced and rotated without mention of the vibrations and noise in order to see what they can find without trying to sell me some tires?

2.) If the tires are found to be defective and I decide to replace them does anyone have any opinions on the Continental ContiExtreme Contact, I read on Mr. Vivona's earlier message about some of his choices but these are less expensive and seem to be better rated or surveyed by the Tire Rack folks. On top of that has anyone plus sized their car and has it affected their vehicle in a negative manner?? I am considering either sticking to the 16 in or going up to a 17" wheel.

3.) Is it normal for these cars to have a hesitation or slow tranny shift between 3rd and 4th gear? Is this something which may be addressed by re programming or is it a mechanical, drop to the ground only solution??

4.) Finally can anyone recommend where to buy a front end bra for these cars, the dealer tells me I have a 4 week wait which I find hard to believe and I'm about to hit the road on my first road trip.

Thank you all for any help you can provide, I truly hope this vehicle works out. I got a good deal( basically $1/mile on the odometer) and want to take care of any problems early in order to enjoy my investment.
  • dimasciodimascio Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 Diamante last Sept. The car has about 4000 miles now with no problems except for an irritating noise/rattle that sounds like something maybe internal to the shock absorber or absorbers. It is only noticeable at low speeds, say 20 mph, on very small undulations in the road surface. It is a dull thumping noise like something is hitting the body pan or frame. I think it is located in the front, but the dealer says they can't find anything wrong. It is annoying but tolerable. Anyone else have this symptom?

This makes 12 Mitsubishis that I have owned, all of which have been outstanding automobiles. This is my second Diamante, the other was a 97. I also own a 2000 Mirage DE and a 2000 Mirage LS, both great cars.
    dimascio -- Your noise may indeed by the sound of the valving in the shock absorbers. Small road undulations can make a shock give out a faint "doodle-doodle-doodle" sound - not really a rattle. A loose sway bar mounting or loose other suspension bolt could also cause such a noise. But do not let a mechanic touch any suspension bolts with an impact wrench. They should only be checked and tightened with a hand torque wrench to the specified torque called for in the service manual. You could also have them check the wheel bearing end play and ball joint play using a dial indicator, provided your dealer has a mechanic that knows how to do such tests.

Before you try anything else, you may want to wrap some peel-and-stick foam weatherstripping around the power steering hose that runs between the passenger side of your engine and the inside fender wall. You will see it by looking down towards the serpentine belt area. If the hose is bouncing and hitting the timing belt cover it might make the noise you describe. Move the hose back and forth and see if it hits anything and wrap the foam weatherstripping in that area. It's a long-shot but an inexpensive thing to try before trying anything else.

I seem to remember someone else describing a faint thumping sound at low speeds, but I don't recall if they ever posted what solved the problem. I would be interested in what you find so I can add your experience to my personal "knowledge base".

By the way, I noted you have owned 12 Mitsubishis. My family has owned 7 and they all have been outstanding. We currently have a 1999 and 2002 Diamante and they both have been excellent just like the Galants, Eclipses and Mirage owned previously.

Mr. Vivona
  • mcaparsomcaparso Member Posts: 7
    All,

I would appreciate some help with my newest Diamante Problem. I have a 2001 LS with 46,000 miles on it. Recently I have been hearing a squeeling from the rear of the car when driving at slow (30 and below) speeds in the city. The noises are very easy to hear when you are riding next to buildings or other cars. I took it to the dealer, showed them how to reproduce the problem and I was told the rear brakes were 'glazed' and were the source of the noise.

My problem with their diagnosis is the following:
    1. How come the make noise when the brakes are NOT applied?
    2. Why is the noise not more accessive when the brakes are applied.
    3. Why do the brakes otherwise still feel/operate normal?

If anyone can assist with what this noise might be, I would be more then grateful. I have an extended warranty on the car and I was hoping this failure may be covered. I was told I have just about 50% of the rear pads left, and I do only mostly highway driving.

thanks,
    Matt
    Since I have bought my Mitsu on October 2002 I can hear a loud rambling noise upon braking slowly, especially when I press the brake pedal hard and then slightly but not totally release it. The mechanic said that front brake pads must be replaced in order to get rid of that noise. But the front brake pads are only 70% worn. I'd appreciate any suggestions.Ray K.
  • aedge3aedge3 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2002 LS in December. So far things have gone pretty well. Only "problem" I had was a shuddering of the brakes. The service dept machined down one of my front rotors because it was slightly warped...I guess I felt that they should have replaced it but that's really the only problem I've had with the car.

Annoyances are another thing. I hate the tranny! It shifts annoyingly at the weirdest times and won't down-shift fairly often if I trounce the accelerator. My trunk sometimes won't open with the release that's in the door or with the keyless remote and I have to use the key...most of the time they work...strange! When I need to get up and go it sounds like the engine is revving at 9,000 rpm even though I know it's not.

But the biggest annoyance of all is the horn! It sounds like the horn on a Vespa! Does anyone here know where I can get a replacement horn that sounds like a nice, luxury car horn?

Art
    NJ
    i too picked up a 2002 d in december...i traded my 2001 d.

reagrding the transmission, the d tranny is 'adaptive', it adjusts to the drivers style.

i can attest to this.....with each of our two diamantes (My leadfoot wife drives them 95% of the time), i have noticed a vast improvment in kickdown and acceleration over time. sometimes too, it ishow the car feels on a particular day. but now it doesn't take much to get the car to kick down immediately and smoothly and accelerate very well.

my adivce is to start driving very aggresively and over time the tranny will learn your style and hasten the downshifts and hold gears longer.

if that doesn't do it, get a 2004 Diamante with manumatic shifting!
  • gbrown17gbrown17 Member Posts: 2
    7-27-02 I purchased 2002 D-LS with 4 miles on it. The first thing I noticed was the strange shift,I took it back and they told me it was the memory for two drivers and they reset it. With in a month the crise control went out and I took it back still complaining of the transmission. Cruise control replaced. The car continued to have shifting problems. It was finally torn down and they decided it needed shims. The car continued to have problems,with the test drive, next they replaced the valve body three months ago.Two days ago my 11 month old car with 10,000 miles on is setting at the dealer. We have requested Mitsubishi to repurchase our car. They want to just put another transmission it like the defect we already have.In addition to the transmission the brakes are keeping my wheels black with dust, the climate control does not work properly, the slow speed of the wiper speeds up with the car speed,and I could go on. The car is beautiful but so so much for beauty if it is on the side of the road. Our loaner car provided was a New Diamante the last time, which had the exact same shifting patterns. Basically the 2nd to 3rd shift is stretched out then a hard loud shift which will jolt you.Then it began vibrating at stops and starts at idle. Next thing when I would excelerate the car would act like it was in neutral and finally after going to 5 rpm it would slam into gear. I am very upset. The car has depreciated $9,000. They have had it more than I have. Would I buy another, NO. I have never ever experienced anything like this in my life. I keep a car 7-10 years. this one car has given me more grief than any in 30 years of buying cars.I have always owned Honda & Nissan. I looked for several months before I bought this car. I thought it too would be a great car. I wanted more luxary than the others offered. Now it is up to Mitsubishi. WE shall see how well they stand behind their cars. Anyone interested in the outcome may email me at g_brown17@hotmail.com
  • gbrown17gbrown17 Member Posts: 2
    read 957 posting. Get your car to the dealer. My transmission is burned up.The fluid instead of being pinkish red is black and full of gritty material. Your car has the same symptoms mine stared with.
    we have had close to 35,000 trouble free miles on ours, sorry to hear about your car's issues.
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    Help,

I was driving my 99 diamante (42 K miles) on the high way cruising about 70-75 mph, when all the sudden I started feeling hesitation, I pulled over and the car started to really sputter and white smoke was comming out of the back like there was no tommorow, the check engine light (service engine soon light) came on and then the car died, I looked at the oil stick and there was no anti-freeze sign being mixed with the oil, then I looked at the level of the anti-freeze level and it seemed to be OK, the car never overheated, I was able restart the car (got alot of white smoke) and I was able to drive it back home but it seems to be wanting to die unless I keep the engine RPM above 3000 or so ( no skmoke when the car is Idling high), I made it home and afew hours later I restarted it, it started so easy and no white smoke and it was idling so smooth, any one have any idea what just went wrong, help please.

Regards,
    You could have a problem with a stuck egr valve or oxygen sensor giving off bad readings. Have the codes read by your dealer. Whatever malfunction occurred will be stored in the memory since your engine light came on.
  • demwaltersdemwalters Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2003 Diamante LS and am a first
    time Mitsubishi owner. If anyone has any "tips"
    or knows any "must do's" , your information
    would be greatly appreciated. I've read lots of
    the info.posted on this site (and some of it
    scares me a little!!). I hope it will be a reliable car (I've previously owned Honda's). So
    far I love it - only problem noted is a "splotch"
    of paint on the hood. thanks
  • marak88marak88 Member Posts: 57
    I'll have both EGR valve and Oxygen sensor checked.

thanks for the input
    Brake pads are lightly touching the disks even when not braking, so a glazed pad could conceivably be the cause of your noise. Also, the pads have a special metal tab that makes contact with the disk when the pads are worn down to make a noise to tell you when the pads need replacing. Another cause could be a piece of road debris (pebble, nail, etc.) that has become lodged between the disk and a stationary component.

Mr. Vivona
    If you are hearing a groaning noise, sort of like gruuu, gruuu, gruuu just prior to stopping, that is most like caused by a glazed brake pad. A panic stop during the first 500 miles can glaze a pad (this may have happened during a prior test drive before you bought the car). If you have less than 12,000 miles on the car your dealer may replace the pads under warranty. Do not let them turn the rotors.

Also, anytime a mechanic touches the brakes he has to remove and replace the wheel. Make sure they use hand tools to remove and replace the wheel lug nuts and that they use a hand torque wrench only to torque the lug nuts to 80 ft. lbs. in a crisscross pattern. If the mechanic uses an air powered impact wrench he will grossly overtighten the lug nuts and warp your rotors, causing braking pulsation about 5,000 miles later. Check out my article at http://www.geocities.com/diamanteowner/article2.htm
    Many makes install quiet horns to meet noise ordinances, particularly when selling in a variety of countries. However, aftermarket replacement horns are available, such as this one from JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=4923&BQ=jcw2 You may also find loud aftermarket horns at local auto parts stores. Just make sure the replacement horn doesn’t draw much more amperage than the factory original horn.

Your trunk may not be reliably releasing due to the “Locked-Unlocked” switch on the trunk latch not being fully in the Unlocked position. You could also have a binding cable that runs from the latch to the trunk actuator, or a defective trunk actuator relay or motor. The actuator is located behind the trim panel on the left side of the trunk, near the power antenna motor. If your Diamante is still under warranty, have the dealer replace the trunk actuator relay or motor. Since the problem is intermittent, they may replace both the relay and motor rather than spend time trying to figure which one is intermittent.