Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I I paid mega-clams for a remote-start system on our LX last winter (pamper the wife...), and I forgot if the power locks had this feature or not as standard equip.

Anyway, the remote start we had installed (for those interested) is by DEI (Directed Electronics Inc.) and they make Viper car alarms. Very good systems, BTW. The unit we have will lock the doors when you turn the ignition on, and unlock when you turn it off. Also, it rolls up the windows when you lock/arm and will crack windows open if you use the remote start in warm weather. Hey, why doesn't my car have one of these?!?

Thanks Cyclerklm!

--javadoc
  • julyarjulyar Member Posts: 35
    Just FYI, my ES does not auto lock/unlock either.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    cut and past, most browsers have one..

Side questions for this message board: is there a was to copy an individual message to another town hall conference so i don't have to re-type this in again to the MPV Cruisers II club??

Thanks..a newcomer

Cheers,

TB
  • cyclerklmcyclerklm Member Posts: 26
    kgvan...

You mentioned that you were considering seat covers. Remember however that if you get side airbags, they are built into the edge of the front seats. You cannot use a seat cover that would interfere with the airbags on the front seats.

You might be able to cover the cushions only, but not the seatbacks.
  • laurietlauriet Member Posts: 2
    I hope some of you knowledgeable people can help me! I have a silver LX (manufactured 6/99, purchased 9/99)with 4-Seasons, security pkg,15" Yokohama tires and 14,000 miles. It replaces our 94 silver MPV. I have had the clicking/popping noise at the front end when parking/backing, but didn't find it bothersome enough to do anything about. I have not had any high speed vibration and any left pulling we have is so slight we can't be sure if it's there or not. Yesterday I pulled into a local shop for an oil change & tire rotation before we drive from Chicago to Colorado next week and noticed that my left front tire was low. I'm so glad I was there and not on the tollway as I had been the night before! It was flat within 5 minutes, just sitting there. Imagine my surprise when they showed me that the steel belts had separated & the same thing is happening on the right as well. Their first thought was defective tire, but having it on 2 leads them to believe it may be an alignment problem. I stopped at the dealer who suggested a tire shop because of the separate tire warranty. I went to NTB, which I believe is owned by Sears, and they had the nerve to tell me that it was rim damage from driving on a flat & stuck to that theory even when I explained that it had never been driven flat. They also said there was no damage on the other tire. I then went to an actual Sears auto shop where a very, very nice man called Yokohama & explained the problem. They offered a 50% replacement cost on 2 new tires & the Sears guy offered me another 25% & ordered the tires for me. They should be in 1-2 days before we leave for vacation. My problem is that if the tires are indeed ruined because of an alignment problem, I find that to be the dealer or manufacturer's responsibility. I have an appointment at the dealer on Monday 8-14 for the emission thingy recall & to check the other things I learned about on this site. Has anyone gotten Mazda to pay for an alignment and/or tires? What information do I need to give them to get this taken care of? Would the glazing problem on the brakes cause intermittent squealing, cuz I have that. I mentioned the popping noise being attributed to inner tie rod ends and the dealer service guy looked at me like I was stupid and told me that, gee, they almost never have to replace those. And they, also, have no information yet on the bumper recall. Also, when I needed an anchor installed for a tether strap, I was the only person in the building who had ever heard of them. I finally convinced them to order the part kit & wow, it only took 5 minutes to do it. And thank you for the tip on the bumper step thing - I think I'll get one. My husband has been accusing me of being careless loading & unloading. And thanks also for the pool noodle tip on carseat installation. I'm a safety fanatic & I'll be passing that on to many people. Sorry everyone that this is so long & has no form - I left my brain at the NTB shop in a cloud of steam. If anyone has any ideas that could help me in my impending fight with the dealer and you could possibly post them this weekend I will be eternally grateful. I'll check back Saturday night and again late Sunday. Thank you, thank you.
  • vtac1vtac1 Member Posts: 18
    Seems to me that their have been enough people with the"popping" problem that Mazda should be addressing it.Maybe its time for us owners to start flooding Mazda with complaints.Takling about here is good for info,but will not get it fixed.
  • meerameera Member Posts: 50
    It seems if the tire thing was an alignment problem you would have had some shaking/vibrating or pulling. Mine sure jumped all over the place. Mazda did the alignment, but I've had no luck getting them to replace my tires that have uneven wear due to the bad alignment. When you go to have the emission recall done tell them you want the alignment checked. It should be under the warranty. Sorry I'm not really much help, but I know how frustrated you are. Also, I believe glazed brakes cause squealing. Tell them you want that fixed too. If they give you hassles, go to another dealer until you find one that takes you seriously, that's what I had to do with the alignment thing- they kept telling me the shaking was normal. GOOD LUCK at the dealer Monday!
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    check on previous post on this topic. there has been a lot of complaints on that front popping sound.

mazda actually replaced some front tie rods because of this. i'm not mechanically knowledgeable enough but maybe your tire problem was caused bye this.

click the "see all responses" on top and do a search on "tie rod" and also on popping sounds (maybe try "pop sound" or just "pop"). and when you have learned all you can call mazda on their 1-800 number and discuss it with them. based on previous posts here mazda seems reasonable in listening to customers complaints.
  • gneaglegneagle Member Posts: 2
    I also had to replace the two front Yokohama tires last week due to abnormal wear caused by an alignment problem. 18,000 miles on the van, purchased in Aug 99. I had noticed the wear a few days prior, and then one morning the front left tire was flat. Tire shop told me the tire warranty would not apply due to the alignment problem. Mazda dealer said alignment wouldn't be covered under the service adjustment since it was past 12000 miles. So I ended up eating the whole cost.
    Moral: check your tires for wear and get the alignement checked before the warranty period expires.
  • laurietlauriet Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input on my van's problems. I left it at the dealer today & the only thing they could find to do was the emission thing recall. They were unable to hear the popping sound, and decided the brakes & alignment are just fine. I feel lucky to be getting a nice discount on the tires (no thanks to Mazda), but I am worried that the alignment is actually a problem and my new tires will soon be ruined too. I think when I go to Sears (you know, the day before we leave for vacation) to get the tires I'll just pay them to do an alignment. It really burns me up to be paying for this because I'm quite sure the problem existed when I bought the van. If I wasn't leaving in 4 days I'd be putting up a giant fuss, but I just don't have time.

I have never felt the van was sluggish as some auto writers have said & I'll let you know if I still feel that way when we get back from Colorado!

Thanks again!
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    For those of you that have had the problem, was it constant? The only time that I heard any such sound was in heavy traffic over the Fourth of July weekend. I haven't been in such traffic since then and have tried to recreate the sound by way of short stop and go movements without success. I apologize for my lack of knowledge of things mechanical in advance but could such a sound have been the brakes pads clicking? My guess is probably not because I'd then be able to hear it doing my short stop and go movements.
  • carmicgfcarmicgf Member Posts: 2
    I saw an earlier post from someone who had heard of a way to get power to the lighter and 12V plug when the key is out of the ignition. It's a real pain when my cell phone powers down every time I shut off the vehicle. I believe this person mentioned a relay switch. Anyone with some feedback?
    Yes this can be done. I remember seeing the post yesterday, probably one of the other forums. You can do this either with a jumper (with an in-line fuse), or use a relay. Using the relay is more complicated. I've done it on my cars before and it's a nice mod. Haven't done it on the MPV, yet.

You'd be essentially changing that circuit from "keyed" to constant, like your horn, dome light, head lights, etc. It's not terribly difficult, if you aren't skittish about monkeying with electricity (zap). It's only 12 volts though.

Let me know if you want a diagram...

--java (sshockkedd one too mmany tttimes, zzztt!)
  • madgalaxymadgalaxy Member Posts: 8
    Here is my 2 cents...

When we first got our van it had a BAD alignment, took it back the same week for an alignment (no charge) and it still was not aligned. So I brought it back again and and they replaced both front tires (no charge), did an alignment and it fixed the problem. I have Yokohamas. I NEVER had vibrating problems though.

I also had the popping sound, it only happens when the van is warm and usually does it on turning, braking and accelerating. Dealer replaced the struts and outter tie-rods, with no success. So I called Mazda and complained, so brought it back in and the dealer said that the "Mazda Engineers" told them to replace the inner tie-rods and heck it worked! No more popping sounds. If ANYONE is getting this front-end popping sound, I would call Mazda Corp and complain, that is the only way for them to take serious action.

Other than these, no problems. Roswell Mazda in Rowell, GA is the BEST. Nothing but A+ service. When they found out I called Mazda Corp to complained (about the problem, not them) they practically laid down rose petals when I walked in the door the next time! They even rented a car for us while the van was there.

Gary
    Woops. I misunderstood. Did someone post that you could just change out a relay and your 12v plugs would be constant hot? That I've not heard of. From my experiences, the fact that a wire is hot or keyed depends on the fuse block and whether that circuit in the car's wiring harness is hot or keyed. You can always change that wire's status, and that's what I mentioned in post #426. I don't know how you could merely change a relay and achieve this. Unless...

Cheers!

--java
  • mykidsdrivermykidsdriver Member Posts: 21
    I suspect my van is aligned just fine. However, I DO have the popping noise. So far, dealership has been nice about problems (minor, thank heavens) but not all that effective. I have wind noise on passenger side and technician twice confirmed this. Second time they paid for a rental while noise was investigated and they said district service manager rode in car with the service manager and proclaimed noise "normal." And then they had me ride in a demonstrator to hear that there WAS some cabin noise (but theirs seemed to come from both sides, which to me was far less irritating). Anyway, I took van home, since it was clear they were not going to fix it. They HAVE fixed some trim problems, but it was done one piece at a time and with numerous trips to dealer. I am tempted to try to take it to a much more conveniently located dealer to see if results are any better. I have not even mentioned the popping noises as they were so few/far between at first oil change that I didn't know if I could get car to do them for them. Now I am more confident they can hear them, though, since I hear them every time I take car out. What's the best course of action here? Give the dealer I bought from yet another chance to fix something? Or can the service department at a competing dealership help? Car is well within bumper-to-bumper warranty (3,500 miles). And I could first call the dealership I'd like to try and order step plate there and then see if THEY could take a shot at fixing wind noise and popping. Or should I call Mazda first?? Also, how long did it take to replace inner tie rods? Is it something I could wait for (up to 7 hours) while my kids are in school?
    Thanks for any help. Other than those problems, which are fairly minor in my opinion, van is great. It's been on vacation and it's extremely popular for carpool... A dream to drive.
  • dispatch1dispatch1 Member Posts: 30
    You have nothing to lose, and if anything, they might earn your biz in future visits. Might make them try harder. (Maybe not, but....again, you have nothing to lose by doing so).

Since you mentioned it, I just installed the step plate myself. $32 at my dealer. Don't know how much they'd charge for the install, since I took the 3 minutes to install it myself. Looks great.
  • superbondosuperbondo Member Posts: 29
    Thanks Meera and Adamhut for your responses. Hope you enjoy your vacations. I was away briefly too. Just saw Lauriet's problem with her tires and totally agrees with her.

I visited the dealer twice, and got nothing but cold shoulders. When asked about the bumper recall, the service writer said no such recall took place and never heard of it. I showed him a Yahoo printout concerning the recall, he dismissed it as internet information was not to be trusted. I was dumbfounded, as I saw the crash report on MSNBC.

Now an update on my pulling problems, first time they didn't bother to check alignment and only changed driver's side tire back to front (a waste of my time); second time after I insisted on an alignment check they said alignment was ok and told me to go to tire shop and if I ever went back with same problem they would charge me. OK! Then I just won't ever go back to you. Called Big-O and the guy said nowhere in the SF bay area any YOKO athorized tire dealer would do on the spot tire replacement, and I would have to pay for tires up front and they would then ship my defective tires back to YOKO to be checked out. Called Sears they said the same thing because tire manufacturer often don't reimburse their costs, but commented that the dealer should have taken care of the problem because they also sell tires now. However, called YOKO they said tire dealer should be able to do it in the store. What a run around! Now I understand why you left that SOB tire shop in a cloud of hot steam.

I am in the process of looking to buy a small sedans or small SUV for my wife, do like the Protege and Tribute, but will not buy a Mazda again because:
    1) poor dealer service, I didn't even return the survey as if anybody would care;
    2) hard to find parts as I read a post about the odd-size fuses and what the mechanic told me;
    3) Ford took over Mazda and mess up the quality control and put in their own engine and defective tires (in my case)

If you don't agree, it's ok, maybe you get lucky with your van and dealer. As for me, when I have time, I will go to Big-O and demand my all four tires be exchanged because Ford blew up big on the SUV thing. Quilty by association, my own four tires probably won't fare any better and may one day blow up on the freeway and I'll be dead.
  • vanmeistervanmeister Member Posts: 5
    Hi- I posted the original message about changing a relay to make the outlets hot all the time (as opposed to just when the key is in) over in the Cruisers Club. I swear I remember seeing the instructions to do this on paper while we were purchasing the MPV last week, but now I can't find it. It had to be in something the dealer gave me. So far no other owners have responded about seeing these instructions. I swear I saw it somewhere and it looked trivial to do- just pop out one relay and put in another.
    Vanmeister
    Just got my first problem, thankfully it's minor.
    The passenger side speaker on the door is making static sounds intermittently - annoying as hell.

I'll have my dealer replace that speaker, but I do find it strange that the same speaker on another car also crapped out after a couple of months of ownership. Go figure.

Dispatch1
    Could the speaker have gotten wet? Just asking because maybe your window seal is the culprit. Paper speakers don't like water, for some odd reason. :)

When you take the van to the dealer, you might make sure it'd dry inside the door. If not, it'll happen again. I have not heard of this happening on the MPV, but maybe there's a gap where water can get in there. I dunno, just speculating.

Cheers!

--java
  • dlncmaydlncmay Member Posts: 27
    Sorry to hear about your woes. Your frustrations are understandable. Can't blame you regarding Mazda products given your experience. I just got my third speedometer for my 95 Ford Taurus. Never had a broken speedo in my life. Replaced the first one under warranty. Second one broke 13 months later. Ford would not replace since it was older than 12 months. Service manager diagnosed the problem through my description because he heard it all before (many Tauruses w/ broken speedos). Interesting that he can identify the problem, but Ford Customer Service would not admit to the defect. Ford wants to charge me nearly $500 for another speedo that will break in a year. Don't think so. Got a used one and had it installed for $92. I figure it will last as long as a new one. Needless to say, I am not a big Ford fan (yes, I know about my MPV engine), even though I think their automobiles are probably OK. My first American made care, and probably my last. It is an OK car, but not like the numerous Japenese cars I have owned. The bottom line is that the dealership experience can taint one against a marque on the basis on the service experience even though the vehicle is decent, but has a problem or two (MPV pulling, leaning, vibration, etc.). Wish ya the best with your next vehicle purchase, and hopefully you can get your pulling MPV problems behind you.

Take care.
    I doubt the speaker got wet, it hasn't rained here since I bought the van. ....On the other hand, I have washed it a few times. Will check that out. Thanks for the "never would have thought of it" tip. :)
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Have you tried turning the volume to another setting besides "MAX"? After all Bohemian Rhapsody does have that gong at the end. I am sure that is the cause.
  • meerameera Member Posts: 50
    Do you have the plain stereo or the upgraded touring package/ES version?
  • mass3mass3 Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased an MPV LX 3 weeks ago. When I have the blower on ( either Ac or heat), I notice an awful smell. Initially, I thought I was driving by a house that just cut the grass (although it doesn't smell like cut grass)but it so brief and it was happening every time I stopped and then started again. After a while it is constant, but faint. Of course until I stop and start again. I brought it back to the dealer and they said they couldn't smell anything and said it was the trees. All they found was a small oil leak. They changed oil, told me to try a different gas. The smell is not mold, it's almost like a burning plastic. After driving a while I start to get a stomach ache. Anybody else experiencing this problem??
    Mass3, Did you opt for the special "Limburger Cheese in the a/c" option? I think that was package LC2. j/k If the smell isn't mold on the evaporator, which happens on *most* cars, I would guess that something has gotten stuck in the system somewhere, like some leaves or it is oil. Where was the small oil leak?

A few drops of oil thrown on your exhaust manifold can just reek. Then it burns off, and maybe happens again when you take off (oil pressure builds) and a little more oil gets squirted on some hot part in the engine compartment. Did the dealer fix the oil leak? Does it maybe smell like someone was using a weed wacker or chainsaw? That would be a good oily smell, and might remind me of cut grass (not kidding).

Sounds like your dealer said, "take two aspirin, and call us in the morning." Trying a different gas would probably do nothing more than lighten your pocketbook.

Good luck on the probs.

--java
  • kgvankgvan Member Posts: 6
    Am close to buying. (Please scroll up to post #415 for more specifics.) But am still wondering if rear AC is really necessary in the Midwest, Milwaukee area?

I've narrowed it down to an LX w/4Seasons & Security pkg. Anyone have experience w/o Rear AC in this neck of the woods?? (We haven't had it for the past 11 years w/ our 89 Voyager.)

Is Rear AC really worth the extra $512? A kid or 2 would probably sit in the middle & back seats. Any help would be appreciated. Am looking to buy after Sept 1. Thanks.
  • sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    Hi,

I have MPV LX (Silver) for 3 weeks now. In fact my friend noticed this and told me. On the rear wheel bay, there is a plastic lining on one side and not there on the other side. I could see the drilled holes and in fact it looks ugly. I am trying to explain with my limited knowledge. On the front wheel bay, I could see the full padding. Is it the same on all the MPVs? I dont know how to explain this better. If some one can understand this, please reply. Thanks in advance.
  • stevecanuckstevecanuck Member Posts: 33
    I had the same problem the first couple of weeks with my MPV. It stunk after sitting still for a minute or two. The dealer said it was a coating on the engine and it would burn off.

Sure enough, two-three weeks later there was no smell.
  • todd48todd48 Member Posts: 22
    I too have smelled it in our van and it really
    does smell awful. My wife and I didn't notice it
    though, until we started using the AC at the
    beginning of the summer. Once you turn the AC off
    and switch the temp. to just "cool air" the smell
    with begin in a few minutes (kind of a wet mold
    smell). Maybe this is related to what Javadoc
    called mold on the evaporator, but I don't know for sure.

Javadoc-- if this is what it is, is that smell
    perfectly normal? And how long will it continue
    like that? Thanks.
    I have a maxxed out ES with the super stereo and 6 disc changer. The stereo has never been up past the 3-4 range. I can't imagine that it was blown by playing music at a moderately low volume.

I will probably have time to take it in on Monday or Tuesday and see what they think about it. The main problem I seem to be having is that the static is intermittent, not constant, but there none the less.
  • pricetagpricetag Member Posts: 10
    What number do you call Mazda when you want to complain about vibration and popping sounds.
    Also, does the MPV come with road-side assistance and if so, what is that phone number?
    Javadoc--I don't know why I didn't ask about "fixing the oil leak". They gave me a spray to spray in to the vents. I do not want to use it because I do not want to mask a problem. Last night when my husband and I were driving we first smelled the "awful" smell, then we smelled a burning oil smell, then back to the "awful" smell and then finally we had to shut it off. I'm nervous if it is from leaking oil 1) will the van catch on fire (the reason for purchasing a van is children) 2) the teck said it could be from mildew in the vents, but the car only had 9 miles when I bought it and we've had very few hot days here in Boston. The teck also did not mention a thing about it coming form a coating on the engine. This auto has the date May 2000 on the door panel and I'm wondering if it is part of any of the recalls I've been reading about. Such as the bumper thing, I have not had any probs with noise etc...
    Your van is brand new? Todd and Steve are correct about a funky smell when brand new. I remember that when we picked up our's last August, but we drove the first 3,000 miles in 4 days. This could be your problem also, just needs to work itself out. If you're concerned, check under the hood for anything that looks like there's oil on it. I wouldn't worry about leaky oil catching fire. If that were the case, every Yugo on the planet would have combusted.

Did the dealer give you an air freshener? That's rich. Maybe it's an air dryer spray, hmmmmm.

Todd48 - Condensation around the evaporator (that's up under your dash btw) can stick around and mold can result. The best way to avoid a musty smell is to run your vent fans for a few (up to 30) without the a/c on just before you shut off the van when you've been using a/c. This tidbit from my dealer, who seems psuedo-good.

Dispatch1 - I'm still voting on moisture for your speaker problem, but I'm willing to be wrong. Either way, your dealer should take care of their very valued customer such as yourself. Better than the toy my 15 month old just impailed one of my Polk home speakers with last night. That'll cost me some clams. Oh, and Ritz crackers don't work in Zip drives btw.

Cheers all!

--java
  • jb03jb03 Member Posts: 31
    kgvan: I recently bought the LX with Touring Pkg., four-seasons & rear air. The rear air is a nice feature to have especially if your children like the temperature to be different than what you prefer. It hasn't been all that hot here in the Detroit Area so I've only used the rear air sparingly. The standard air seems to get the job done in ambient temps ranging from low to mid 80's. If you do opt for the rear air, definitely make sure that you also get the four seasons package as it allows you to adjust the temperature of the rear air.

mass3: I too have smelled the similar smell that you describe. My thought is that it is probably some type of coating on the engine that will burn off in time. It does not smell like burning oil but does smell like "burning plastic". It is not a heavy odor and is imperceptible most of the time. But every now and then, usually when the air is running, the smell is noticeable. I plan to wait a couple more weeks to see if the smell persists. Keep us abreast of anything you find out from the dealer.

Edit: Just saw Java's post. Looks like the consensus is a new coating that will wear off over a period of time

Regards,
    JB
  • jb03jb03 Member Posts: 31
    Intermittent static. Sounds like it could be a bad connection of the speaker terminals, or a short in the speaker wiring. Hopefully it is the former as a short in the wiring would be more difficult (but not impossible) to find. Java's moisture theory could also be valid.

By the way, I also have 190 watt system and I typically listen to music with a heavy bass line and sweet highs at a volume that may be a little louder than what you previously indicated. So I wouldn't expect that your speaker is blown as the speakers seem to be capable of handling the extra wattage. Hopefully, your dealer can find the problem.

Wish you the best.

JB
    ...that you shouldn't be able to out-play your factory system. Of course, if you max out the bass and treble settings, and then crank the tunes, bad things could happen, over time. But hey, they're under warranty, right, so crank the Carpenters and sing to your heart's content!! 8-)

I think jb had a good idea of a short in a wire. Those are buggers to figure out. Worse, you take the van in and the problem doesn't present itself. A loose connection, IMHO, would either give you sound/no sound, but not really static. Do keeps the board informed, as we all want to know.

Cheers!

--java
  • billygee1billygee1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm really happy to become part of the MPVamily!
    I'm excited to say I'll be picking up my ES on 8/22
    I've got the whole kiboodle of options including
    the nlev emissions (included in the options of this
    particular piece of inventory!) which leads me to
    my question...what is it & is it an efficiancy
    thing or "clean-air" thing? Why is it an option?
    Just curious... Also, I have the 6cd changer.
    Silly question, but is this the top stereo? It has
    9 speakers right?
    Thanks to everyone that can help.
    BillG. :-}
  • julyarjulyar Member Posts: 35
    welcome to the family. The NLEV is a clean air thing, and is mandatory in a lot of states, including our beloved CA. It does take away 10 horses if you have it, but most of us don't have the option. The ES comes standard with the 9-speaker system. 4 speakers, 4 tweeders, and 1 sub-woofer in the back, for some cool sounding bases. It is the best Mazda offers on the MPV and anything better than that in the after-market is probably going to cost a pretty penny. Enjoy the van!
  • pricetagpricetag Member Posts: 10
    Yes my van is vibrating(06/99). The dealer replaced the tires at 7,000 miles however it didn't help very much. The van now has 14,000 vibrating/popping miles and the dealer doesn't seem to want to do anything.
    I just posted this same thing in another section. ANyhow I live in Boston and want to but rain guards. Mazda does not sell them. Everytime I take a corner the rain pours in.
    Are you looking for rainguards, like those acrylic window visors? Go to http://www.weathertech.com. It is item #72240 and they sell for $79.95 plus $8.00 s/h.

Of course, you could just not turn...j/k

--javadoc
  • mpvlxshoppermpvlxshopper Member Posts: 1
    Kgvan: I live in the DC area, and we've had our MPV LX without rear a/c all summer. It has been the coolest summer in DC in decades, but we have had a few hot days, and we're been perfectly happy with just the standard A/C up front. With the rear windows rolled down to get some hot air out when you start out, I think you'll be fine without the rear a/c.
  • oldjakdoldjakd Member Posts: 1
    I bought my MPV in Feb and complained about a strange smell, which I found was Transmission
    fluid spilled on the engine.(it has since gone away/burned off) I also had a vibration problem and I replaced my rims and had them balanced at a tire store.. I won't let Mazda mess with my wheels.. I no longer have a vibration problem..
    I mentioned all this a long time ago in an earlier forum.. My van likes to go 70+ miles per hour.. I drive it from Florida to New Jersey every three months..
  • pune123pune123 Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed that when I have the front and rear A/C on, the hood and fenders on the side of the hood seem to become quite warm to the touch. Does not happen when the rear A/C is not on. Temperature gauge in both cases shows nothing alarming. Anybody else notice this? I have a 2000 MPV LX with 4 seasons, rear A/C, etc.
    Thanks,

Jawa
  • pune123pune123 Member Posts: 2
    My vehicle did not come with fog lights installed. Any source on aftermarket fog lights? Are these simple to install? I have a 2000 MPV LX.
    Thanks,

Jawa
  • mykidsdrivermykidsdriver Member Posts: 21
    I keep calculating my city gas mileage because other posts make me worry that it must be off. It's hovering between 18.4 and 18.7 with all city driving, most of it with a/c running hard.

Also, thanks to this list, I finally (with some effort because it was forced in since it was not threaded correctly) took out my antenna and screwed it in, carefully and tightly. No more wind noise. Three visits to the dealer and one car rental (they paid) got me an explanation that MPVs ALL had a lot of wind noise and that mine did not leak water, therefore I had no problem and they were "sorry" the wind noise was concentrated on one side. And now it is gone!!!!
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    Sorry this is so late in responding to the question about a good fit for a rear-facing child safety seat but I am just getting around to reading this forum.

We have the Fisher Price Safe Embrace rear-facing and it works great. However, I had to take it to a child safety seat check and have them do it because I could not get it tight enough for my satisfaction. They also used part of a pool noodle to help get a good secure fit and correct angle. Another tip is to use shelf liner if you have leather seats to keep it from sliding (and protects the seats too I guess). I actually went to my Chrysler dealer who is participating in a free service called Fit For a Kid where they will schedule and appointment to check and install your child safety seat. It was great! We have it installed on the passenger side and it does interfere with the front passenger seat (it has to pushed way up and straight) but there is hardly ever anyone sitting there. Keeping my child rear-facing is the most important thing though and I will keep her that way until at least 12 months.

We too tried the Britax Roundabout rear-facing and the car seat techs could get it installled rock solid but it was a lot of work to do it so I decided to try the Safe Embrace. By the way, the Chrysler dealer also had a coupon for the Safe Embrace since Fisher Price is also a sponser.

We just had a tether bolt anchor installed for when we turn the seat around forward facing. It is really a neat deal and the dealer did it for free. The parts cost $7.40. They also installed my rear-bumper plate for free at the same time.
  • thekondosthekondos Member Posts: 7
    Right after I purchased my LX in May I noticed an intermittent rattle on the driver side of the van near the middle. It sounded like it was in the middle row seat belt assembly.

By the time I took my van in for the 5K check the rattle was very noticeable. The dealer figured out immediately that there was a "mechanical failure-roller to small" and they ordered and replaced my rear door roller assembly. They said the ball was smaller than the bearing it was in causing the annoying rattle. The fix was easy and quick and they did a great job keeping the van clean and I could not tell where the work was done.

Also, they replaced for free my cracked visor. The cover would not stay in the open position. Someone here was trying to order one for 80 something dollars but list price in FL was 49.30 and actual cost would have been 69.02.

Hope no one else ever has that annoying rattle!! It drove me crazy but Mazda did a great job fixing it!
This discussion has been closed.