Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nick0924nick0924 Member Posts: 13
    Have a 2003 Sonata, 4-cylinder, automatic, tire pressure
    at 35 pounds, change oil and filter every 2500 miles.

Bought the car new.

No problems thus far, car has 34,000, but highway mileage
    at 60-65 mph is never better than 28 to 28.7 (the 28.7 is
    rare) and need to drive conservatively to achieve that.
    Drive 70 mph and it goes down to 27 mpg.

Combined city roads/country highways (mostly 45 to 55 mph
    with a few traffic lights and stops) comes to 18 to 22 miles per gallon, often just 19.

This mileage has been pretty much the same since day one.

Someone wrote about "reflash" to engine and transmission
    computers. Is that likely to help? Any other suggestions?

When I drive my 1993 Honda Accord, 4-cylinder, automatic
    with 284,000 miles, I get 33 to 34 mpg highway at 70-75 and 24 to 26 on the country/city trips. Engines are about
    the same.

Again, zero problems with the Hyundai thus far except
    for the constantly same and disappointing gas mileage.

We take excellent car of all our cars, as evidenced by the
    Honda Accord.

Any suggestions? I read where some of you folks hit 30 and
    32 on highways and 24/25 in city only (which we never
    encounter).
  • carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    The 4-cylinder Honda has better mileage then the Sonata, because the motor is more refined. Every car is different when it comes to gas mileage. All the parts have certain tolerances when produced and if they match then your mileage will be better then some that are not. It can happen with the same make and model of vehicle. If you read other forums on gas mileage of the same cars, and then you will see that some complain that theirs is less then others. Some times it is the way the car is driven and other times it is the vehicle it's self and there isn't anything you can do about it. The only good thing is that you paid less for the Sonata then you would have for a new Accord and that should help for the difference in the mileage. :)
  • whitelightningwhitelightning Member Posts: 3
    I have an 05 sonata and have recently replaced the whole driver side fog lamp due to a rock cracking the lens. The bulb is simple to replace compared to replacing the whole assembly. Under the car by the fog lights you just unscrew two of the plastic screws holding the plastic guard and pull the it back away from the fog lamp. You actually maybe able to replace just the bulb with out having to take the screws out. On the back side of fog lamp housing you will see where the wires connect to the bulb. Disconnect the wires from the bulb by gently pulling the clip on the connector and pulling it loose. To remove the bulb, just twist the bulb about a quarter turn and pull it out. I believe it was counter-clockwise. I hope I explained it well enough. It is pretty easy to figure out once you get down there and look at it. Hope this helps.
  • reymreym Member Posts: 2
    Hello every one. In response to the Hyundai sonata, CEL, and having a code that indicates a loose gas cap or topping off the fuel tank, I do have the same problem since the car had 29,ooo miles. the car now has 100,000 and the CEL still has the code indicating a loss of fuel tank pressure. The dealers answer to this was a lose gas cap or topping off the tank none of these reason is true also, I have driven the car in very cold weather -30 F and also in the summer hot day, The problem still there. I believe it is an engineering issue and the only thing any dealer can do is to band aid the problem. if any one has a solution please respond.
  • larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    Try an after market cap from Auto Z*ne. I got an aftermarket replacement that is red in color. I think it fits tighter then the OEM. Worth a shot.

Say have you ever had your fuel filter changed?
  • hyun2005donthyun2005dont Member Posts: 6
    :lemon: here is my letter to hyundai and my horrid experience w 2005 clutch goes out at 16k i am in my 30's know how to drive stick owned 3 other sticks and this is only one of 10 other problems.DONT get 2005 or 2006 sonata, i am driving brand new loaner, has only 700 miles on it and it drives like a bumpy dump truck,also chokes when you tried to accelerate to pass cars, i have a feeling it will have problems also 2006 does have recalls for 2 things look up recalls on 2006 sonata and see what you come up with.
    i owned 2004 sonata and 1999 accent not 1 problem. please see my letter attached i had to cut out some of the words because it only allowed so many characters at hyundai sight.The second rep her name is Nikki was the golden girl of your customer service department and should be rewarded. Very personable, professional,had extreme knowledge. She really helped things happen quickly. She went out of her way to listen to me even though i was hysterical and to the point of crying. I spoke to your other rep Jared and he was the complete opposite, very frank, and bothered, and he hung up on me. I asked him to please talk to the GM at the dealership and I explained the situation, he said he would call and call me back. I asked if we could please call 3 way and even offered to do it from my end, reluctant he said yes. I got the dealership on phone and went to click back and actually heard his silence while i had GM from dealership on phone and you could actually hear him hang up. I then had to call back go through 50 prompts and given the same number i had just called by 2 of your reps and finally got someone that could obviously do circles around the other 4 fools i spoke to. Also I told Jared that the dealership was trying to get me back down there like NOW and wanted me to return their rental and I really needed his help before i went back down there. He kept putting me off and when I asked him what I should do and that this car was a lemon and I guess I would have to file a suit he told me to do what I have to do, what kind of CS rep response is that? He needs an attitude adjustment, not only did I get a poorly put together brand new car but now I have to listen to some rinky dink jerk tell me to do what I need to do after I have bought 2 cars cash from Hyundai and also put 8,000 into this one of my own hard earned money to be told this?He doesnt need to be retrained he needs to be fired. I have been doing business with Hyundai since 1999 and I have never had a problem with Hyundai until I came across this lemon that I now have. I thank Nikki for completely resolving my problem with the scandilous dealership and giving me more confidence in Hyundai as a whole minus Jared of course. I have to tell you I am extremely disappointed in my 2005 Sonata and let you know I owned a 2004 Sonata and never had the problems I am having with this car that only has 16,000 miles on it.As soon as I get it back I am putting a for sale sign on it, and reconsidering a new make, I am also driving the loaner which is brand new 2006 sonata and it is very nice looking w great features but it drives like a bumpy dump truck. Sonata was suppposed to be mid size luxury sedan, and this reminds me of my first new car in 1993 which was a Honda Civic base model, but that car even rode much smoother that this thing. I am sorry to say but I really like my 99 Accent minus being afraid of getting into an accident with it, but it was zippy and not 1 problem even at 80,000 miles which was nothing but new tires and a new clutch. The car I have now has and had opil burning at 5,000 miles new, rust under car and above all my trans and clutch all going out without any signs or warnings in one day. What is going on with the company now? I really wish someone would help me get another 2005 Sonata and I told the dealership since day 1 that there was something not right about this car and that I wanted the same model but a different one and told me dont worry yet here not even a year later I am out a car for almost 2 weeks. Unheard of and I have owned 7 brand new cars 3 which were clutch. I will never buy another clutch from Hyundai again, had I know the warranty and that something like this could happen at 16,000 miles. If someone is actually reading this and knows how they can help me to get away from this wretched lemon of a car, please by all means HELP me, I would even take a left over 2005 but no one seems to want to help me now that they got my money and had me sign on the dotted line, god knows this purchase was a huge mistake and I am the one that is going to suffer on this one as well as lose value.My number is 908-287-1026 I would really like to speak to someone about how as a loyal customer I can have Hyundai help resolve getting away from this horrid car, I obviously dont think it is the company but I do believe either this car was slapped together so quickly that it was overlooked at insepction time or i dont know what. Did I mention all the windows from day one were off track and that they actually and always have wiggled , they are not secure in the track, dealership told me it was fine but i have many friends that witness that no it is not fine. Did I mention that the battery had been dead 3 times for no apparent reason? No lights no doors open nothing. Did I mention that everytime I get out of the car and touch the door or my 4 yr old in her car seat there is a huge surge of electrical shock going through me to her or the car itself and did I mention the keyless entry sometimes works sometimes not oh and that the warning for the seatbelt has never really ever dinged when your seat belt is off like it did for the first couple of months. Tell me i dont have a lemon? If anyone is listening or cares please contact me. Again back to Nikki I thank her for her kindness to a stressed out single mother.I just want a car I can rely on turn on the key and go.Did I mention that my car going out like that also almost caused a major accident and that I have witnesses to it from other cars?
    Thank you for your efforts Nikki but I dont think this is over yet other than the problem you solved that day, but I am sure this will be just the beginning. :( :mad: :cry:
  • reymreym Member Posts: 2
    Hi, and yes, I replaced the filter an easy task but tricky. also, I have checked the hoses in which I found one line going to the fuel pressure sensor and gas tank not holding vacuum. Anyway, I am baffled about this gas pressure problem, I have never experience any problem of this kind on any car, even if topping off the gas tank was done.
    The cars warranty has expired in which I have had the problem since the car was purchased, the dealer was going to charge me 85.00$ because they didn't find anything wrong go figure.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    My 2005 GLS Special Value is now one year old with just under 7600 miles.

No problems at all. Everything does what it's supposed to do. Loved the heated seats in the winter.

MPG has been good for the type of driving I do. Most trips are no more than 4 miles, plus stop signs & traffic lights. Worst MPG was 16.7. Typical MPG was 17-18 in the winter. With warmer weather I'll probably get the EPA rating of 19, or better. I haven't driven enough trips of 40-50 highway miles to get a real handle on it. But 50 miles of highway in ~ 250 miles increases the MPG to 24+/-.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Have the spark plugs ever been replaced? I've spoken with several Hyundai dealer techs, and although Hyundai specifies spark plug replacement at 60,000 miles, these guys said it's not uncommon for them to tank anytime after 30,000 miles. Hyundai uses a "waste" type ignition system, similar to many motorcycle engines, in which each spark plug fires twice ad often as actually needed - once in the compression stroke (in which it should fire in order to ignite the fuel-air mixture) and needlessly once in the exhaust stroke (hence the term, "waste"), significantly reducing the usefull working life of the spark plug. Misfiring plugs often affect highspeed operation most, but are noticed least since even a mifiring engine at speed will seem to be running smoothly. Fortunately, replacing the spark plugs on a 4-cyl engine is an easy procedure.
    I have just received my car back when it had to be towed on march 30th, It runs like hell and my clutch reaches almost 4 rpms in first and second not to mention the sweet yucky smell of radiator fluid. Come to find out my car had been leaking oil back into my egine and they had to reseal something as well as replace the gasket.My battery wires were apparently loose due to the 3 times it has gone dead. Also my dome light was replaced so they say but it still does not work as well as everytime i get out of the car after driving i get the loudest stongest shock when i touch my door to get my child out of the back seat. This car is a lemon and I have now called Hyundai and asked them to buy it back. So we shall see if they give me the run around.Can anyone please tell me what could be causing me to get such a shock? Everytime! It rides and smells like a 7 yr old car. I hate this 2005 Sonata and I recommend no one ever buying a clutch, becasue you may end up with an almost 2000 bill. Anyone else having problems? Please let me know. Did i mention the paint is coming off? As well as the rust on the catalic converter is this normal? Since day 1 i have hated this car and i have owned a 2004 and had barely any problems.this was brand new and it has always acted like a used car. Please help if anyone can about why i am getting shocked ann why my child gets shocked everytime we turn off the car and get out.ty
    It's just your electric personality. ;) Seriously, as your clothing rubs against the upholstery fabric, you build up a static charge. When you contact something metallic with your bare skin, ZAP! Annoying, but harmless, and definitely not a Hyundai/KIA thing. Dry weather exacerbates the effect. You could try spraying the polyester upholstery material with one of the anti-static products available at supermarkets.
    my clutch reaches almost 4 rpms in first and second

I don't understand what you mean by that?

Is that as high as you can rev the engine in 1st or 2nd gear?
    ty for the advice. This just started happening about a month ago and i have had the car since april of 04 and did not have the huge shock. I actually have linked it to the dome switch which also zaps you if you touch it. And as of today my starter is starting to go, has that ticking choking sound when you start it as well as a rumbling vibration to get it to start. Whats next my alternator or is that all connected? I got a lemon! I have owned several brand new cars and never have i ever had everything start to go at once within the first year if at all until like the 3rd or 4th year. Usually it would be me replacing brake pads or something of that nature. Can anyone please tell me if this has happened to you with any type of car and what steps you took to either sell it give it back to dealer, please share your experiences, so i can know what to expect from this if at all. All feedback is greatly accepted and appreciated! As far as the currency being sent through my car and creating not just static little zing but an actual loud cracking noise, i did find some info on the internet saying something about the arc not being able to release the charge the proper way and that there is a small small chance probably 1 in a million but that if there is a spark or that it can possible spark it could ignite, very rare but still cause for me to be concerned. Ty again for your input and i will try anti static spary on the upholstery. lol! ;)
    no when i start out and give it gas in 1st and do the ol switch o roo of the clutch and gas the tacometer goes up to 4 rpms and in 2nd gear as well once i hit 3rd 4th and 5th it stays at 3 to 3.5 which it used to stay in between 2-3, and no i am giving it enough gas and releasing the clutch properly. It is almost like it needs adjusting, but i noticed that the clutch was real loose and went to the floor smoothly when i got it back on tuesday but it is now starting to get tighter or should i say tougher when you push the clutch down to the floor, not alot but def something i have noticed in less than a week of getting this hunk of junk back. By the way the dealer is telling me if i want to sell it on my own it would be no problem to sell to someone else for 13,000, my question to anyone out there is does that seem like a fair price and also i wouldnt want to sell this lemon to anyone and am i legally bound if i did sell it with all of these problems? This is my battle with hyundai, A i dont feel it is a safe car being that it has all of a sudden, started having all these problems all at once and B) I will not be liable for their mess up, can anyone advice me on this as well. Thanks for all of you out there actually reading this and trying to understand where i am coming from, alot to follow i know. Thanks again for any info. ;)
    Suggestion, return it i had a 99 hyundai accent and after owning it for almost 5 yrs at 80,000 things started to go. If radiator was replaced i suggest getting rid of it, i am not sure how long these guys go for but think about it the warranty is 100,000 great marketing for the public but i bet this is about all it lasts if not another 70,000 with major repairs, and then you might as well have a seprate credit card for just that. I am not sure what you spent but if you bought it from a dealer(sounds like it) you must have over paid, you are better off leasing and putting down what you put into this car or getting a little left over elantra or accent from 2005, regardless of my current situation i have had excellent luck w 2 hundais vs this nightmare i have now. Also take a look at all the 2001 on this site and go by the problems you see here. Also wanted to run this by you, but have you ever noticed all these new cars and models usually have glitches for at least the 1 aqnd 2 year. I think sonatas came out in 2000, and by now they are a little better. Do yourself a favor get rid of it. And you are aware that there is no warrranty to you even though you are at 93,000? That only applied to anyone that is an immediate relative and/or if the car was made before 2004 i think it is. They just changed the relative rule, 1st owner keeps warranty that is it, so if i sell mine even with the 16,000 it has on it the next person gets nothing, they would have to purchase separate warranty for an astronomical fee.good luck
    )
  • infiniti370infiniti370 Member Posts: 5
    Hi I just bought a 2005 Sonata GLS special Value last week. I love the car so far. I noticed when I set my alarm using my romote the car lights blink but the car does not honk or make a noise. Ive also set my car alarm off but the car lights just flash and the car does not make any sound. Is there a problem with my alarm or does any ones know how to turn the sound back on? Thanks!
    Hi...I just bought a 2005 Hyundai Sonata GLS special value and noticed the antenna does not go up and down. Its stuck down so I cant use the radio. Is this something that is covered under warranty? I only have 25,000 miles on the car. I took it to the dealership the other day and they wanted to charge me $90 to look at it but said I would get the money back if it was covered under warranty.
    I've had A GLS SV for a little over a year. Car has been fantastic.

When you lock or unlock by the remote, the lights flash but the horn does not sound. I think that's nice. There are many times that I am annoyed when I hear other cars' horns sound because the owner is locking the car.

My alarm has never gone off, as far as I know? How did you trip your alarm? Window open and then reach inside to open the door?
    Thanks for your reply. I set off the alarm by remaining in the car and setting the alarm using the remote and then opening the door. Once I do this the lights flash and Im not able to start the car for awhile. The owners manual says the alarm should sound once its set off. In addition the dealership said the alarm should sound. My brother just bought the same car and said his alarm also does not sound.
    Wild guess. Once you shut off the car, try opening and closing the driver's door (as if you were leaving the car) before using the remote to set the alarm.

I suggest this based on a headlight function. I leave my headlights on all the time. When I remove the key the headlights turn off but the parking lights remain on. They turn off when I open the door.

Another feature, when you turn off the car your power windows will be operational for about 30 seconds OR until you open the door, which ever comes first.

Good luck...let me know what happens. Thanks
    "...if i sell mine even with the 16,000 it has on it the next person gets nothing..."

A subsequent owner would receive the remainder of the 5 yr./60,000 mile basic warranty. He/she would also receive the remainder of the state and federal emissions system waranties.
    Yeah I tried that and still no sound. I know the alarm is going off since all the lights flash and Im not able to start the car. Does any one have sound on their Sonata Alarm when it is set or it goes off??
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    Why don't you file a lemon lawsuit. You have a good case. In NJ the lemon law is very consumer friendly. I filed on a Ford escape and in short order came to a satisfactory settlement. Google lemon law and look up the law and law firms it sounds like you have a solid case. There is no charge and they won't take the case unless they think they will win. If this was a defective TV or VCR you would return and get your money back a car is no different, just more expensive IMO. Good luck.
    "Does any one have sound on their Sonata Alarm when it is set or it goes off??"

Yep - my '03 Sonata's port-of-entry installed system goes into 30 seconds of wake-the-dead mode if something triggers it, but it remains silent when I arm or disarm it with the keyfob - just brief flashing of the four exterior directional signal lights. Have you contacted a Hyundai dealer about this as a warranty item?
    BTW I took my car in to have the alarm look at and they said it got wet which happends a lot and they replaced it for free. Now when I set it off it makes a noise (its not the horn though...its a seperate alarm noise). SO anyone who catn make their alarm sound should go have it look at before your warrenty is up.
  • sonatageeksonatageek Member Posts: 1
    Well I have a 99 GLS that has been a good car. Didn't have many repairs and as I approached 100,000 miles did the plugs, wires, oil and tranny fluid and filters and replaced the rear struts.

About a month later, while driving 60 MPH on the freeway, the car made a loud noise and shuddered. The check engine light came on and I finished the drive to work. Well I then discovered that Reverse was gone and the transmission was shot. I was at 103,000 and SOL. Dealer said $2500 for a rebuild. Found a local shop (via 2 referrals) that did it for $1290 parts/labor and tax.

This has really soured my opinion of Hyundai. I did all the required maintenance and in over 27 years of careful driving, have never had a major component (trans or engine) fail on me.
    Just curious - what type and brand ATF did you use, and how often did you change it?
    with 2007 Toyota Camry 6-sp automatic transmissions and the 2006 Nissan Altima 4-cyl. motor's oil consumption issues made me realize my 3 1/2 yr. old mechanically trouble-free Sonata is lookin' perty good. (Boring - but perty good, and with 6 1/2 yrs left on its no-cost powertrain warranty! ;))
  • bsegurabsegura Member Posts: 1
    I got my timing belt replaced 6 monthes ago on my 99 sonata. After that point a loud tapping began to happen after the repair. I had it changed at a dealer and when i took it back they said that it was the 1st piston that was tapping the engine and would have to be replace in the future. I have also been told by others that this is normal on this model. Before I go spend 900 bucks on piston replacement I want to know which thing is true. Is this normal for this car. Oh and also it is the basic 4 cyl. model, if that helps
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    here but a regular on many other topics...(kinda like the wild west when the newcomer in town tells everyone he's from "parts unknown"...:):):) )...my brother owns a 2005 or 2006 Sonata, and he wants to know if anyone has successfully converted a Sonata to accept flex fuel...thanks...
    I've yet to read of such a conversion.
    All cars have gotten better in the last few years. But, I've got to say that my '05 Sonata after almost 10,000 miles (purchased 4/05) is the most trouble-free car I have ever owned. Just two routine oil changes and another to be made soon.

Still no rattles or squeaks. Very quiet and smooth ride. Responsive V6 with good local MPG for my type of local usage (close to EPA rating of 19). Meets or exceeds highway EPA milage rating of 29. (using cruise control helps MPG as well as avoiding speeding tickets ;) ).
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    I know this is an old conversation, but....

I've just bought a used 2003 with Automatic and V6, 68K miles. Timing belt had NOT been done. The (non-Hyundai ) Dealer I bought it from gave a free 90 day/3K miles 50-50 warranty (they pay 50% of all labor and materials for any major issues with the car, other than the clicker I bought). The Hyundai dealer I needed to take it to for the new key pulled it in, said it was in great shape except the Timing Belt wasn't done at 60K, and there was an outstanding recall. They did the recall work for free (and ended up replacing the Condensor and Compressor for the AC, NO CHARGE-Hyundai picked up the ($1500+) tab... Woot! My next car will almost certainly be a Hyundai when they do things like that for second owners, too!)

Dealer quoted $1100 US. My normal mechanic quoted $366.

I'm having the timing belt done as my Christmas present next month. From my mechanic, of course, though I'll still be occasionally visiting the Hyundai dealer for other things. The car is in PERFECT shape, I paid $9500 for it (it had all options except the Trip Computer and TCS) with OTD at $10111.97. Add on the $200 for a new key fob, key, and key fob programming, one side marker light bulb and the inspections we had done to insure ourselves we knew what were issues with the car, plus the $366, we're at <$11K for the nicest vehicle we've ever owned (and we've owned some nice ones, like my 1989 Camaro with all options and a big V8, or our 1996 Plymouth Voyager Rallye with all the options). :shades:
    )) "I've just bought a used 2003 with Automatic and V6, 68K miles. ... I'm having the timing belt done as my Christmas present next month. From my mechanic, of course..." ((

Sounds like you got yourself a nicely cared-for Sonata V6. While your mechanic is at it, if you don't mind spending several bucks for a replacement gasket and a little labor, request your mechanic pull one of the cam covers for a looksee at the internals of the top end. That'll immediately tell you whether there's any sludge issue. If possible, be there at the time he pulls that cover - nothing like verifying with your own eyes. Ideally, all you'll see is spotlessly clean machinery mounted to equally spotless, bright cast aluminum. A slight reddish-brown discoloration from a light varnish coating is nothing to be worried about. A gritty, black goo over everything including the inside of the cam cover is imminent life-support news. I'm betting you're OK, but it's always nice to know everything is well. Final word - if you at some point have the automatic transaxle drained and refilled, make sure ONLY SP-III ATF is used. The only brands for this concoction are Mitsubishi, Hyundai, and KIA - and they're only available through their respective dealerships at that. Since Mitsubishi has not licensed production for this formula to blenders that sell through the aftermarket, there are NO aftermarket equivalents regardless what anyone else may tell you. I think I know of one alternate ATF that may fill the bill for finnicky Hyundai ATs, but since I'm not even willing to risk it in my own car, I certainly have no intention of tempting you.
    I'll take that advice, Ray. I want a LONG life for this car, as I've got one going to college next fall, and one following two years later I need to finance.

This was the best solution I could get when the housing market collapsed due to speculators this year (I've owned the place since 1992... no speculator, me). So this car needs to last 5 years, 100K more miles, minimum. So any advice to make this car last and run well for the next 100K is well appreciated.
    If, by any chance, you have a digital camera, it would be kooo-wull if you could grab a couple shots of the cylinder head's innards with the cam cover off and post one here for all to see and comment on. We get a lot of exterior shots showing off people's micro-fibered polish jobs, emblemless grills, and fancy-schmancy black-chromed aftermarket alloy wheels, but some of us gearheads would like to confirm how gracefully Hyundai motors age. (You can guess from my tone which camp I'm in...;))
    I know, these aren't the pictures you're looking for Ray, but I just found these... and they ARE of my car, the dealer hadn't taken them offline. They'll be gone soon, so I'm posting one here.

Just wanted to show it off. :blush:
    Nice color choice! :)
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Hi billward ,new at this ! It is a nice colour . I got 2004 sonata ,What i like to know is the injector are very noisy ,the motor is a 2.4 lt ,would you have the same motor in your sonata How do you post a question at the start as a new topic ? :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I can answer your last question, but not the rest. :)

If you go to the bottom of the last page of messages, you'll see the post box. You don't have to "reply" to another message to get it, but if you do you get a link to "start a new thread" which will do that for you. Hope that helps.
    Actually, this is the 2.7 Liter "Delta" V-6. The injectors are NOT noisy in this car, and the sound, for the most part, is quite low. She has a nice, throaty (but low) thrum from the engine.

Road noise is good, could be a little better, but it's good. Some of that may just be the high speed/bad roads I was judging it by, since I never noticed it around town, only on the highway. Biggest complaint is actually only REFLECTED sound, when the car is running beside another car or solid barrier at high speed. That's almost certainly the tires; I'll be replacing them with better ones next year.
    Thank you pat for your reply will have a go cheers :)
    Hi billward good to hear that your injectors are not noisy ,its the only thing that i am not happy with, The car is great to drive ,looks good .Its just the injectors ,well it still goes so the good ,but sound a bit like a diesel
    Cheers
    I can definitely hear the fuel injectors "thupping" at idle on my '03 Sonata's 2.7L V6. Initially I thought it might be tappet noise, but it wasn't quite typical tappet clatter and when I pressed a screwdriver blade against the injectors and pressed my ear to the screwdriver handle (makeshift stethoscope), the noise was clearly coming from them.
    Hi ray h1 I used a screwdriver it work well a good trick , it must be just normal noise I have changed from 91 to 95 octane petrol and I am thing about putting a injector cleaner additive in the petrol next weekend to see if that helps . The car only got 26k on the clock and I didn't thing it should be this noisy . Thanks :D
    Then maybe it's me (I am used to American V6s and the Camaro's V8) ... but the car sounds more throaty than the American V6s (similar in sound to the Camaro's, but not quite as ... deep I guess is the word), and the ONLY "harshness" to the sound is that reflected noise, which I believe is from the tires. I SUPPOSE it could be from the injectors, though. I don't hear it at all except in reflection from other hard surfaces nearby (the Concrete barriers, vehicle beside me, etc.)
    If you have the Michelin "MXV4+ ENERGY" tires, they're VERY noisy under way at speed. Mediocre wet traction, but great fuel economy and wear like iron, though. I finally gave up and replaced mine with some cheap "Douglas" tires (one of Goodyear's discounted "house" and independent tire shop brands) from WalMart. Undoubtedly they're not as good (not speed rated at all), but they are quieter. I lost about 1.5 mpg fuel economy, though. (It's "only" 30.47 mpg highway, now. ;)) On another note, to me, the original Michelins seemed somewhat "twitchy" in the way the car tracked - especially on rain-groove surfaces. I don't have nearly the need to continually correct my car's course with the Douglas slippers. At nearly 6,000 miles on these replacement tires, there're still a few tread "mold nubbies" on the rears that haven't worn off yet.
    Hi billward ,Could tell me if the Sonata in the USA have the same Dashboard style as my car in NZ I know one different is my is right hand drive . I put new wood grain dashboard in , but could not get the inner door handles . The US inner door would not fit. Would still like to know if they are much different. If you have some spare time could you take a look. I have put same picture in my album on my carspace try to put on the Forum page.

Thanks
    Hi Jack!

To be honest, I can't say, though I would imagine that the dash IS different, because of the difference in placement, if nothing else.

I have woodgrain as well (unfortunately, the place where my car's photo was online has now taken it down, or I would post that photo... they had a dash shot.).

The Speedometer winds to 150 mph (~240 KPH) and is on the right. Tach is on the left. Fuel and Temp are in the center, high, above the Drive selector (which is above the Trip Odometer/Trip Computer) and the twin rows of "notice" lights (high beam, door ajar, trunk open, fog lamps, etc). Beside that (to the right) is the small LED for the Manumatic Transmission to show what gear the car is in.

The entire instrument cluster is just right of center from in front of the driver, maybe a centimeter or two, I think, though I could be wrong.

Light Dimmer, Cruise Power, and TC engage(if equipped; mine isn't) are on the dash, to the left of the steering, but below the main instrument cluster, below the driver air vent.

There is NO way that I could see that the inner door panels should fit a right hand drive car; there are drastically different features on the drivers and passengers front doors (rear is another issue; those should be the same). Passenger, for example, has only a window switch and is somewhat more narrow. Driver has power mirror control, four window switches with an auto down/auto up for the driver, power door lock rocker switch, window lockout pushbutton (turns off the window switches to the non-driver spots, giving driver only control of windows) on the woodgrain armrest top, and below that (on the door itself, above the in-door storage cubby) is the gas cap and trunk release pulls.
    Actually, they've suddenly shown back up... so I'll post them all here (they're small)image

That's from the tail. Here's the dash

And here's the backseat area.

So once and for all, for any questions, I can point to this post.