Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    I have a 00 base model and the only problem I have had is that I believed my wife that the window washer didnt work. Like a dope I pressed the same button she did and concluded, yup, here we go with the problems.

A mechanic at the dealership said no way, we never have any problems with these sonata's. He made sure a bunch of folks were there when he jumped in and pressed the REAL window washer button! he said that is all that folks have problems with aside from the rear kid door locks and the remote lever you can throw in the trunk which prevents opening the trunk from the inside!

You should have a fine car there!

Tony
  • jrflukejrfluke Member Posts: 9
    Recently,tried to purchase door visors for my sonata and a Santa fe. The only problem was using the online payment with Paypal.com(it sucks). Instead of the vendor accepting payment directly, paypal handles payment at a lower rate than the bank charges. After six attempts to pay them with six server errors, I cancelled the order with HDK. A few hours later I got a call from HDK directly from Erie, Penna. They were very apologetic and were really great. they took my order on the phone and took $10 off the bill of $109 for my troubles. Now if their delivery is as good, all will be great. Sonatafan, thanks for the link.
  • sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
    Congratulations on your purchase! Sounds like you got a very good deal!
  • onedog315onedog315 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone..My 2000 GLS has run smoothly this week. It's Napoli Blue (midnight Blue) with beige Leather interior. Very nice. I was told that the air mass flow problem was taken care of before I bought it.

The only thing I'm going to do with the Sonata is have a security alarm installed. Mine didn't come with an alarm or remote key entry.
    I wanted the napoli blue one parked next to mine at the dealership but my wife liked the cypress green better. If they had the light moss I would have taken a closer look but the only one they had was sold.
  • sugarpig1sugarpig1 Member Posts: 14
    Hey guys and girls - my 4 cyl is getting an average of 25mpg combined hwy/city so I'm not complaining. I have 4100 miles on her now and she just purrs!!!! I wish I could go buy 3 more Hyundias. My 2001 DOES have the headlamp warning chimes on it. Does anyone elses? I need to bring in for the recall, minor, replace some component that sends signals for the electronic diagnostics testing. I dearly love this car and I will buy another one when the need arises. My husband said he would buy a hyundai if they made full size pickups. I'm sure they are working on it. I need help -----does anyone know if I can get "window drip guards" for my sonata? Its the plastic curved pieces that fit over the door facing that keeps water or rain from blowing or dripping into the car when you crack the window.
    Happy driving
    Mandy
  • jrflukejrfluke Member Posts: 9
    Mandy you can get the window visors at the link below. They're $44.95 for the set of four. They have alot of other equipment too. I haven't received my order but I can say they were customer oriented. Read my previous post.
    Good Luck
    Carlos

http://www.hdkautosport.com/
    Update us on this. This is news to me.

Tony
    Tony, there is no cause for alarm here. There is no recall on the 4 cyl Sonata, let alone the 2001 models. I'm sure sugarpig1 just misinterpreted the text of the recall.
    Has anyone had Hyundai install a security system on their car?
  • paterickpaterick Member Posts: 4
    Hi all...I am a new user and my wife and I are in the market for a new car. We have it narrowed down to two: Sonota or Elantra. We have the opportunity to get the '01 Elantra (5-spd) with Cruise/keyless for about $12,300. OR...we have an opportunity to get a "dealer" Sonata with 4cyl, 5-spd and roof for around 12.5K. It will have less than 10K on it but will qualify for the 0.9 financing and full warranty. Any insight? Our major concern is the lack of power in the 4 cyl Sonata. Any feedback is appreciated!!
    I only went to look, BUT came home with it. I hope it does as good as the Sonata.

To paterick, I have the auto and paid $13010. I dont have the keyless entry, SO if you can get that price, It sounds like a very good deal.

Keep an eye on em ALL the time.

I will need a few days before commenting. BUT I bought it, so that says something.

If ya wanna see it, here is the link.... http://www.geocities.com/tonykrapil/elantra.jpg

Tony
  • rammit2000rammit2000 Member Posts: 27
    Hey Tony I can almost see your ugly mug in the closeup of the headlight picture on your link, Just Kidding.
    Really, that Elantra is one beautiful car Tony.
    The color for that body style is awesome. Great Pics.
    Ross
    Congratulations on the new addition! From what I've seen the new Elantra is a heck of a car. I just wish the 01 Elantra was out when I was looking for my work car and came home with the Toyota Echo. Oh well, in 4 years when the Echo is paid off, I'll take a spin in an XG!
    The price I meantioned of 13010, after that, we got the 500 rebate back too!

So it is more reasonable yet!

See ya, gotta go wax it!

Tony
    Lucky dog. It's 30 degrees here.
    It waxed fast! Funny how waxing a car introduces you to 'things' you may not ever have noticed.

Only weak spot of paint is on the back trunk where the lights for the license plate are housed. One teeny tiny vertical intersection of the light assemble and the trunk is so light on the paint, I am debating dabbing it with some touchout paint or not. Touch up paint and I dont get along real well and I dont trust any dealer sooo I last nite I tossed and turned for about hmmmm 45 seconds worrying about it before falling asleep!

See ya,

Tony
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    Being the political junkie I am, have been obsessing over the election results. Haven't been to Edmunds, T-H-C, or any other auto site since 11/6/00. Broke down today after watching an eternity of court testimony...

My Sonata GLS V-6 w/Pkg 13 & 5-speed, purchased 5/00, is pushing up to 11,000 mile mark. She keeps getting about 26-29 mpg on highway (74 mph). Haven't had a single problem with her (though I did have the MAF recall work done). Better still, the repair work done by the Hyundai dealer after the front-end damage in 9/00 was excellent. Great paint work and nary a problem with anything. (Now I just have to get through testifying at the punk's trial on 12/6/00. He is pleading not guilty to the improper lane change citation.)
    Yes guys, I did receive a letter from Hyundai in the mail not long ago ---- 2001 Sonanta 4 cyl recall -- says the following --- The EPA onboard diagnostics regulations require that the vehicle's onboard computers make certain diagnostic infor accessible by electronic scan tools when vehicle is serviced. the 2001 4 cyl does not properly diagnose malfunctions and display diagnostic codes for some of the required functions. The hyundai dealer will reprogram the TCM (Transmission Control Module) which controls the auto trans electronic functions.
    I have not called for an appt. yet, but will do so this month. It sounds like it is no big deal, but still have to do it for warranty purposes. Am I the only one who has gotten this notice. It is for automatic transmissions only!!!
    Thanks Carl for the information regarding the drip moldings and the website address, I will check it out.
    Hope this recall information helps all of you with the automatics.
    Down here in Houston, we have gas for 1.26/gallon at some major stations. This will feel real good when filling up!!! My other car was a full size Dodge Hi-top van and took a second mortgage to fill up and about 13-16 miles a gallon. The sonata is a real pleasure to pull up to the station with.
    See yall
    Mandy
  • sobright1sobright1 Member Posts: 78
    I am in the market for a new vehicle and am considering a Hyundai XL300, perhaps even a Sonata too. I have followed this forum for some time and have been impressed with all of the positive comments. Without trying to be negative or start a flame war, are there any of you out there who are having trouble with your Hyundai products purchased in the last few years (particularly the Sonata). Anybody had any transmission problems, brake problems, or engine problems? Are there any problems that seem to be consistent year after year or throughout the customer base? Anyone out there got a high mileage Sonata with or without problems? Has anyone felt ripped off in any way? Thanks!
    NO problems to speak of with the base 00 Sonata with auto. It does what it is supposed to do.

I just bought an Elantra this last Friday only because the Sonata does sooo well.

As for the XL300, I didnt care for the cost and the fact it looks like a FORD LTD so I didnt even get near it.

I think the Elantra is more upscale than we give credit. I am almost leaning towards the Elentra as a better bargain, not just in price but features I am finding as padded inside door pulls up front, padded arm rest on console, safety light in the front doors which are red and hopefully seen when opening doors.

The transmission cost more than the Sonatas and it does shift nice, I would have expected the same characteristics but NOT.

The car looks like something it isn't. A neighbor who is real aware of cars thought it was an Audi a4 from the back. Some at a basketball game said it looks like it could be a mercedes, yeah right! I am know looking for a KOMPRESSOR label to put on the back and really confuse em.

I like em both.

Tony
    I apologize for assuming you were wrong about the recall. I based my statement on the NHTSA website, which sometimes receives info from the manufacturer late. Again sorry, I'm not here to cause grief!
    Go clean your motor compartment!
  • markw91markw91 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a 98' Sonata. My test drive went well, but I didn't get to put it on any long roads. I liked the price, but I'm not sure for a Sonata with 33K for $9000. I need some feedback.
    Mark,

I dont know your situation, however, it you look at a new one, you can get .9% financing and YOU get the long warranty with zero miles on the car too.

I just got the new 01 Elantra and it is NICE. Looks good and has some nice features not found in the base Sonata.

If ya can, for the price of that used one, you might well be better off.

The Elantra was 12500 with the auto, you can knowk off another 700ish for the manual transmission which brings it down to 11800ish. If you figure the monthly cost differences over 4-5 years its peanuts for the peace of mind you will hopefully get in return!

Good luck, let us know what and how ya did.

Tony
  • ai3xskcai3xskc Member Posts: 16
    ya I got an alarm system installed on my 2000 Sonata when I bought it. I'm not exactly sure where you're from so I won't be able to tell you in details, but I can you about my area. Well I live in Toronto and I got the system for $400 I think. It's a Code Alarm... they told me that Hyundai used to use really [non-permissible content removed] alarm systems in past but it kept breaking down so now they are using better quality ones. The alarm system is not bad though I do wish I had the factory keyless entry for it cuz the trunk release doesn't work. Oh well, I love my car and it was a great investment. Keep this forum Alive so we can convince all the other Hyundai skepticals!
    Lates guys....
    Ai3xSKC
    Firt off, what kind of name is that?? Makes me wonder!

I did not trade the Sonata. I have a teenage son who is a good kid and is ready to drive. His mom and I need to have a car so as not to be stranded at home and he is into a lot of sports. We 'JUST' went to look and see whats available and , well, there is a new Eleantra in the garage.

Did the first mileage check and it is a very respectable 34mpg with auto doing 270 highway miles with about 10% in town.

So, son will be getting hand me down Ford Ranger to use, not to have as his own, yet!

See ya

Tony
    Thanks Ai3xSKC..When I purchased my 2000 Sonata, the dealer recommended a $700 LO-JACK system. That may be too much. I have a 93 Accord ans it has a VIPER system, which is fine with me. I'll probably try to get Hyundai to install the VIPER. If they can't, I'll find a respectable company to install it.
  • costa4costa4 Member Posts: 1
    picked up my Sonata last tuesday 2001 GLS with pac#10 I checked out the leather and was not that impressed with it.but that is just my opinion..Would love to see how it holds up in say about five years or so.before I would opt for it..I don't know why Hyundai won't offer power driver seat in the cloth trim..Maybe next year..The 2001 models in GLS trim at least,do get the cupholder upgrade and the headlights on chime and of course the waterfall chrome grill,although the base 2001 Sonata still has the painted grill.I did a cash deal with trade in and I think I really got a top deal..I paid 13,400 plus my 1995 Taurus with 85023 miles on it The ford was cherry paint and inteiror,but had bad front end,problem with front brake rotors since the day I purchased it,and various vacuum and fluid leaks in engine..What amazied me was that the dealer never even drove the car.Went outside took a look at it and said "It's a deal"When we got to the paperwork the fire works started.I told them to only fees I would pay were sales tax and destination charges..No dealer prep,no advertising or motor vehicle fees..I don't know how it is in other states,but in New Jersey you can title and regester a new car yourself even if you finance it..All you need is a copy of the certifacate of origin from the manufactour to the dealer.and go the any MV agentcy and complete the paperwork ..This is saving of over $250 in most dealerships..The dealer insisted this was impossable till I showed him the letter from N J motor vehicle dept..
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    As long as you pick a name brand, the quality and reliability of the alarm system depend much more on the installation than then the hardware. Even the best hardware is not idiot-installer-proof. I've seen cars come in to the shop with shock sensors melted from being mounted an inch away from an exhaust manifold. At times like that, I felt like plugging 220V into the ears of the kid that did that just to end his misery. :-)

Pick a store that has been around awhile and haven't changed ownership every 2 years. If you are not willing to spend at least $200-300 for a half-way decent alarm install - don't bother - your car would actually be better off without one.

BTW, most aftermarket alarm modules should have at least one extra channel which can be used to trigger trunk release. You'll have to pay to have it put it, of course.

Tony, congrats on the new Elantra. I agree completely that if Hyundai sells a pickup truck in the US, I will most definitely buy one. In the near future however, I think a new minivan offering from Hyundai is more likely than a pickup. I don't mind trading in my truck for that either.

Still, I think Hyundai is doing a great job so far with new model introductions. I will be patient.
  • md032934md032934 Member Posts: 1
    In the market for a new car. Sonata or Elantra? Seems like a lot of car for the money but not sure of reliability or long term value. Anyone have suggestions? I will have ABS as an option and auto transmission. Expect to pay under 15,000 for the Elantra.
    I have both a 00 base Sonata and an 01 Eleantra. Both with auto as there just isnt any aother way to drive. (now I did it) I like em both, HOWEVER it seems the Elantra may be my favorite of the two. It seems to have more ground clearence and more lively handling. Engine is fine and mileage is much better.

You wont go wrong with either.

Tony
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    XG300 and an LTD (Crown Victoria) ? ? ?

I don't see it.....
    Don't overlook the Kia Optima. Should be out soon. Kissin' cousin sister to Sonata. Kia's reported option packages make ordering ABS much easier than in Sonata; ABS supposed to be a standalone option across both V-6s and I-4s. For Sonata you have to do what I did and buy the top-of-the-line GLS V-6 Pkg 13 (incl leather, sunroof, and premium CD).

I'd say shop some dealers, find some of each that are equipped as you want and take them both for a decent spin. Then carefully pour over both to see if you notice any significant differences in interior & trunk room, comfort, headroom, features, etc. Forget if the '01 Elantra comes with side air bags; standard on Sonata/Optima.

Also check out crash test results. Sonata did pretty well in US tests (where front and front side air bags and pretensioners all standard). I have no idea about Elantra.

(Be adventurous. Try a manual tranny. If you find a Sonata GLS or Kia Optima V-6 with 5-speed, buy it! That's what I drive and she is a blast. Rather quick off line, good fuel economy, fun to drive, and you get lots of people commenting positively on fact you have a rare combo: V-6 4-dr sedan w/manual tranny.)
    I was wondering when someone was gonna ask about the name "sugarpig"!!!! When my little girl was born, you know how the babies have those fat little legs and thighs, well, her nick name became sugarpig girl. I opened a retail store 8 years ago and named it Sugarpigs. I have since sold the store. So, I use this name on all my passwords, cause I figured no one else will have it??????
    Your mileage sounds great on the elantra. I know you are proud. I would love to get an elantra also. Keep us updated.
    Mandy
  • herneherne Member Posts: 18
    My Sonata came with remote door lock/unlock. I purchased the genuine Hyundai Alarm upgrade kit and installed it myself. It was quite easy to do as most things just plug in. I have no problem with it as it works very well and the price was reasonable. As long as you have a bit of time and don't rush the install then most reasonably capable people could do it
    You should check out the 6/00 issue of C&D. 13 car comparison test that includes Elantra GLS 5-speed. Came in 6th place but they had lots of nice things to say about it. Liked the grippy 16" tires (.80g on 300-ft skidpad), powerful engine (fastest 0-60 time of 8.3 secs and highest top speed at 119 mph (governed)). They didn't like the "unmistakably coarse" engine which they also found to be "loud and thrashy". Griped about suspension & tire noise: "clumps over the bumps, exciting numerous quivers in the body, and the big tires loudly read pavement texture". They complained about some interior trim pieces but loved the high level of equipment and liked the interior room. '01 models are improved. Don't think you can get side air bags. I'd check out crash test results.
    15 inch tires and self emptying gas tank are standard in this model year.

Weird Quiver at 70mph but not noticed at 67 or above 72. Will have tires balanced or just not go 70mph.

The Sonata is getting dusty since the Elantra came home.

Tony
    Self-emptying gas tank???!! That is the first time I've heard of something like that. What is it supposed to be for?

As far as Elantra vs. Sonata goes, I would say it depends on what your priorities are. If fuel economy and the nimble handling of a smaller car is high on your list, then the Elantra is more your ticket. OTOH, if you feel better with a slightly larger sedan with the surefootedness of a better composed ride and a larger, more refined engine, the the Sonata is a better choice.

I assume, of course, you're contemplating between a fully equipped Elantra and a base model Sonata, just as we were a littler more than a year ago. FYI, I went with the Sonata GL. At the time, the difference in price was about $1500, and I though the step up to a mid-size sedan with a smoother counter-balanced 4cyl was well worth it. But again, everyone's needs and wants are different. Evaluate your own priorities and draw your own conclusions.
    Good information, Volfy. That will surely help us in our decision. From what you described, we would choose the Sonata over the Elantra. We drove the Elantra and liked it, but we don't want/need anything sportier. We could also use the extra room. So the engine is smoother in the Sonata? Is is just as powerful (I know the difference is minor in HP between 4cyls, but the Sonata IS a bigger car...)
    Let me be honest with ya. No words, no matter who types em is going to be able to describe the car to you or its differences.

It is all a matter of opinion. Some feeling is based on an opinion made from what they have read or what they think or what they want you to know. Others can give real life examples based on fact and first hand experience.

The only thing you should do is try one of each and let your gut help you decide. Better yet, try two of each, one may be a bit better sounding or riding to ya.

Either car is fine. They both start and stop and corner. They both use gas, one more than the other. One has a tad more back seat room, yet the smaller has more comfortable seats with lumbar support on the drivers seat.

Spend a few hours at the dealer and check em out.

I am sure folks on here can help with specifics, but I wouldnt trust any of us with your money to make a decision.

You probably wont go wrong with either one.

Good luck

Tony
    While I don't know the exact power to weight ratios of either the Elantra or the Sonata GL, I would imagine that they are not far enough apart to matter.

Yes, the 2.4L DOHC I4 in the base Sonata is noticeably smoother than the Elantra's 2.0L DOHC. Being a larger inline four, the 2.4L uses a counterbalance shaft to reduce the characteristic 4banger buzziness, particularly in the lower RPMs where the smoothness IMHO approaches that of a V6 engine. At higher RPMs though, the big 4 does makes its nature felt.

Example: our 4cyl 5sp Sonata runs very smooth and quiet below 75mph; above 80mph, while the engine stays plenty powerful, there is no mistaking that the car is motivated by 4 reciprocators instead of 6. BTW, this transition occurs at about 3000RPM.

The 2.0L in the Elantra is a smaller I4, and as such does not quite require a counterbalance shaft to be acceptably smooth. Compared to the smaller motors offered by other manufacturers in the compact segment (e.g., Civic's 1.7L, Protoge's 1.6L, and Corrola's 1.8L), Elantra has a fair advantage. Though the draw back would likely be in the fuel economy comparison.

Such are the compromises in car design and selection. Picking the right one for you is the fun part. Take your time if you're the type that stay with a vehicle for more than a couple of years. Good luck.
  • rammit2000rammit2000 Member Posts: 27
    Something like you aint had ice cream untill you made it yourself. Of course with a manual crank. Aint that right giowa.
    Well said Tony...Thanks. That made the most sense of all these posts and I agree with you.
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    My wife recently ran down the battery on her GLS because of the lack of a chime. I know there have been postings on the remedies for this issue but the T-H-C is down again or shut down for good and I cannot access them. Does anyone have the various solutions to the fuse panel setup with a buzzer? I have a simple two wire buzzer from the Shack but I also picked up a chime which is a three wire and looks like it requires an on/off connection or switch for the blue (third) wire. I can't think of what I would use on the fuse panel for this purpose. Any suggestions? TIA
  • jas06jas06 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a '01 Sonata. I have been driving it for 4 days and I just want to say, it is great! I purchased the 4 cylinder, automatic basic (standard package) and I was really surprised how much get up and go the 4 cyl. has! The automatic shifts smoothly, handles corners well and is very comfortable seating. Hubby & I added the extended warranty and have 10 year bumper to bumper. Can't beat that! If anyone is considering the Sonata, I highly recommend it. Great car....
    Thanks for the Post Jas06...great to hear you like your car. How much did it cost you? Wife and I are looking at the same exact car with the power roof. The dealer has an "Executive" with only 3500 miles so we are wondering what a fair price would be. Thanks in advance.
  • timnielsentimnielsen Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone bought a used Sonata, or sold theirs? I'm moving out of the country in January and trying to sell my car.

Here us Hyundai owners are SCREWED. I'm gonna lose thousands, but I knew this could happen as when I bought the car I expected keeping it to the end.

I have a 2000 GLS, leathers, everything except the anitlock brakes and traction control.

It's got just near 11,000 miles on it, bought it last Febraury. Owe still about 14k but was thinking of trying to sell it at 13k, but don't know if anyone would buy it even at that.

Also, anyone have success getting their dealership to take out the mysterious dents? My car has them too, and of course, that only makes it harder to sell.

Tim
    SAD, real sad, but true.

This ad was in the local paper today from the dealer at which I bought the new Elantra.

This is only my opinion, BUT when buying a car like this, it makes no sense to load it up with options because no matter what it has to offer, it just wont bring a decent price.

Cant you bring it with ya???? It might be cheaper to ship it than give it away!

Keep in mind too that this is a DEALER AD PRICE, they are normally HIGHER than the street price!

http://www.geocities.com/tonykrapil/sonataad.jpg

Tony
    You realize that the dealer is in business to make money and not give cars away. If he is selling the car in the above link for 10,499 what do you think the previous owner was given???

We have to keep these cars for a long time if at all possible to balance out the intial lower cost and the FAST depreciation.

Sorry for all the bad news, keep in mind, I have two Hyudai's.

Tony